PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Airport transportation solicitors.. your story?

yayagoofy
09-24-2005, 08:57 PM
Soliciting transportation at the Orlando Airport is illegal. Have you been approached by solicitors? If yes, tell your story here. Was it around the baggage carousel? The top of the escalator near baggage claim? The bottom of the escalator? What did they say? Do you remember about what time of the day it was? Give any details you can. Perhaps replies will get noticed by the airport.

dudspizza
09-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Perhaps you are a disgruntled limo driver or transportation company owner.... how's the Magical Express working for you?

yayagoofy
09-24-2005, 10:46 PM
Pizzadud, you presumed wrong. I'm talking about limo companies, town cars, vans, sedans, etc. soliciting. But, if you want to include DME, that's fine too, that would be fair and equal.
:teacher:

ralphd
09-24-2005, 11:15 PM
Soliciting transportation at the Orlando Airport is illegal. Have you been approached by solicitors? If yes, tell your story here. Was it around the baggage carousel? The top of the escalator near baggage claim? The bottom of the escalator? What did they say? Do you remember about what time of the day it was? Give any details you can. Perhaps replies will get noticed by the airport.

First two posts on the website????? Not a subject that would interest the average member of this website.

Agree with dudspizza... looks strange.

yayagoofy
09-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Just in case you are interested, below is from a previous thread.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
The Orlando International Airport has a big problem with ground transportation companies illegally soliciting passengers. These slimy drivers (known as "gypsies" in the business) will approach tourists as they are leaving the baggage claim area. Normally they will be near the escalator (top or bottom) to the ground transportation level, to catch you after you claim your luggage. The airport plays a recorded announcement over the intercom, it warns passengers about this. If a tourist questions a solicitor, I've seen/heard the solicitors show their Orlando driver permit, which has nothing to do with them illegally soliciting passengers in the airport, that's illegal. The naive tourist does not know this, so they go with them. If you want to help stomp out this problem, if you are approached by a solicitor or see one working the crowd, dial 2666 (airport operations) on any white page phone in the airport. Give them a discription of the person, where they are, etc. If you get a recording, still give the info so they can have it on record. If you can only phone after leaving the airport call 407-825-2666, let them know what you saw, experienced, etc.

Help keep Orlando a wonderful expereince for all...[/QUOTE][/B]

yayagoofy
09-25-2005, 12:54 AM
First two posts on the website????? Not a subject that would interest the average member of this website.

Here below is a post from another previous thread, let's hear your stories.
I got hit on Friday night. I had to stop just after I got off the escaltor from the arrival level to rearrange my computer case! Two guys with signs asked me if I needed a ride. I wonder if they really had customers or were just trolling and had signs to allow them to stand there.

If I wasn't in a hurry I think I would complain and after this stunt if it happens again I think I will contact the airport and complain. I didn't notice the car service signs this time, but I will make note next time. If these guys want to whine about Disney soliciting then they have to play by the rules they made.

safetymom
09-25-2005, 06:37 AM
I agree. Strange what topics will get people to post for the first time. The person you quoted above was mentioning her experience in regards to DME and other transportation companies soliciting. It would have helped if you would have copied all the information.

If people have a complaint about soliciting they should take it up with the airport authority. I doubt the authority will make decisions based on a thread on the DIS.

momof3disneyholics
09-25-2005, 07:39 AM
Maybe the OP is trying to start awareness? :confused3

WillCAD
09-25-2005, 08:27 AM

Absolutely incorrect! I have been a member of the DIS Boards for quite some time, and since I fly into MCO on almost all my trips these days, I am very interested to hear other peoples' experiences with being solicited by the towncar, limo, taxi, or shuttle companies on airport property.

My personal experience has been quite limited. I have seen limo and towncar drivers standing at the bottom of the escalators, but only once (about two years ago, I don't remember exactly when) has one of them asked, "Hey buddy, you need transportation to your hotel?" or something to that effect. I said, "No thanks, I have a rental car," and that was that. At the time, I didn't know it was illegal for the transport companies to solicit within the terminal, or I would have reported it to someone at the airport.

Lewisc
09-25-2005, 09:56 AM
I suspect the OP has an alternate identity on these boards.

Sorry but I see a big difference betwen an individual driver breaking rules to feed his family and a major corporation having a system in place to systematically violate airport rules.

The airport is losing out. None of us using DME would be walking to WDW and it sounds like Disney is paying well under $1 per passenger in franchise fees. We know the car rental agencies pay almost 10% and I think the towncar companies pay something like 10%. Disney is paying well under half what the aiport would otherwise be getting.

safetymom
09-25-2005, 09:57 AM
Then why didn't the Airport authority do something about it when they allowed Disney in?

seashoreCM
09-25-2005, 10:04 AM
I was told that Disney pays the airport about 50 cents per passenger for Magical Express, where a typical day this summer has brought about 5,000 people or a take of about $2,500. But for all I know this fee could be a fixed daily amount as opposed to a per passenger amount, busy season or slack season.

For a fair comparision we should ask how much the airport gets from hotels that bring in their shuttles.

The only time I took up a solicitor was about 20 years ago getting a ride from Detroit's airport to downtown. About 5 of us [arriving airport pax], all going to different places, got in his car which probably made for a safer trip than just me alone. The fare was the same as the limo service. In retrospect I should have declined, and never again did I accept a ride from a solicitor.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/magicx.htm

Lewisc
09-25-2005, 10:06 AM
Then why didn't the Airport authority do something about it when they allowed Disney in?

They did. Disney evidently agreed guests would have to have advance reservations to be transported. Disney isn't requiring advance reservations, is soliciting business at the airport and is going so far as to transport guests who aren't even staying at a Disney resort. Evidently the number of guests is at least double what Disney told the airport when the deal was negotiated.

The airport is doing something about it now.

It's not free competition when a large company is pricing a service far below cost in order to drive competitors out of business.

DME is a great deal for us but it's really not a good deal for the airport and other transportation companies. It might not even be a good deal for us if too many towncar companies go out of business before DME starts charging.

Lewisc
09-25-2005, 10:11 AM
For a fair comparision we should ask how much the airport gets from hotels that bring in their shuttles.

Airport hotel shuttles are traditionally free. Shuttles to hotels more than a few miles from the airport are traditionally charged for.

If DME didn't exist passengers wouldn't be walking to WDW. The question is how much money is MCO losing. A fairer comparison would be how much the airport gets from a Mears passenger. The airport fee for a rental car is almost 10%. That's going to wind up being a few dollars per head.

seashoreCM
09-25-2005, 10:12 AM
. Disney isn't requiring advance reservations, is soliciting business at the airport and is going so far as to transport guests who aren't even staying at a Disney resort..
Really? I never heard that one.

But since DIsney has not been stellar at sending out written confirmations even to those who specifically asked, it is reasonable to transport someone who insists he made a reservation 10 days in advance.

If a limo company's decoy is going to get into a shouting match with a CM over a reservation or lack thereof, that should not be counted as a violation on Disney's part dealing with the airport.

Airport hotel shuttles are traditionally free. Shuttles to hotels more than a few miles from the airport are traditionally charged for..
To the guest, yes. To the airport authority, that is an open question.
. Evidently the number of guests is at least double what Disney told the airport when the deal was negotiated...
Apparently Disney was caught by surprise too. There were not enough ME buses for the summer crowds and Disney had to contract for some plain white Mears buses to fill the demand.

safetymom
09-25-2005, 11:10 AM
[QUOTE=Lewisc]They did. Disney evidently agreed guests would have to have advance reservations to be transported. Disney isn't requiring advance reservations, is soliciting business at the airport and is going so far as to transport guests who aren't even staying at a Disney resort. Evidently the number of guests is at least double what Disney told the airport when the deal was negotiated.

QUOTE]

Where is this reported? It wasn't the airport that reopened all this. It was the transportation companies.

TDC Nala
09-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Have they been transporting anyone who isn't staying at a Disney resort? They've always checked my reservation and the last time I used DME it was without paperwork in hand because they never bothered to send me any.

DisMN
09-25-2005, 11:26 AM
I don't want to argue who's who and why someone might ask the question here......although I do think it's a valid question to be honest, so I'll share my embarrassing story.

My sister and I took 3 children to Disneyworld a few years ago and while we're both fairly seasoned travellers and not fearful in the least, we still had an uncomfortable experience at the Orlando airport.

We were waiting for our bags and a man came up to us asking if we needed a taxi. Now I hadn't been to the Orlando airport in 14 months at this point and didn't know if the policies had changed and didn't even THINK to question them at the time, nor did I realize there were semi-scams out there. Stupid and ignorant I know. I told the man we'd go find a taxi at the "usual" location.
He told us he WAS one of the taxi businesses that served the airport area and he began to load our bags onto his cart. I thought "gee, how nice of him to be so helpful" not realizing that he was gonna drag us through kingdom come to find his vehicle. He was parked in Timbuktu and as we walked and walked my sister and I felt more and more uncomfortable. Initially I had asked how much the taxi was and it was in line with the amounts I had paid before so I think that was one reason I believed "who" he was.

Anyway, we got to his vehicle and he drove us to the resort, no problem. When we got out of the car he held out his hand and asked for 25$ MORE than he originally had quoted us. I gave him the lesser amount and he actually had the nerve to tell me it wasn't enough :confused3 ......he still had our bags and we had 3 little kids with us so I didn't want to fuss. My sister and I were still in shock about our whimpy behavior and being taken for a ride so easily that I didn't say anything more and was just glad to be out of his car. We didn't report it to anyone and barely talked about it the rest of the trip.
I think we're both quite embarrassed that we went along with it like we did.

After we got home I did some research and found out there were some shady transportation companies that worked the airports and while you do get your ride, it leaves you with a feeling of having been taken. Not a cool way to start a vacation at all.

kaytieeldr
09-25-2005, 01:25 PM

I'm going to go along with you and give the OP the benefit of the doubt!

Now, this is not MY experience (and I'm not going to provide contact information for the person to whom it did happen) but my brother was solicited by what I would guess could be considered a gypsy cab driver at MCO a few weeks ago. I'm basing that on the rate - $30 to a Disney property for two people. They were approached IN the airport, on the baggage claim level, and accepted the offer. They had NO problem or complaint - other than, if he'd TOLD me he was going I could have saved him the $30 by directing him to book DME in advance :)
Approximate date was the second or third week in August, on a Sunday

kaytieeldr
09-25-2005, 01:31 PM
The airport is losing out. None of us using DME would be walking to WDW and it sounds like Disney is paying well under $1 per passenger in franchise fees. We know the car rental agencies pay almost 10%

Lewis - do we know for sure that's what the car rental companies pay the airport, or is that just what they charge us?

Think about it - either way, aren't the car rental companies charging that PER DAY, even though each of us completes the rental transaction only once? Whereas Disney, or Tiffany or any of the other transit companies, only PAYS the franchise fee to the airport once per passenger or trip?

ducklite
09-25-2005, 01:35 PM
Anyone can solicit for rides once the passenger has "hit the curb". That would include hotels, taxi's, gypsy cabs, anyone.

DME was not supposed to be soliciting inside the airport, however they have been steering business not eligible for DME to their jv partner, Mears. This is where the unfair trade comes in.

They had access to the pax on level three, while other drivers and operators were limited to level one--and even at that point were not supposed to be soliciting. It was a definite unfair advantage, and probably in violation of F.T.C. regs.

Anne

TDC Nala
09-25-2005, 01:36 PM
however they have been steering business not eligible for DME to their jv partner, Mears.

Ah hah!

Thanks, Anne.

Lewisc
09-25-2005, 02:46 PM
I don't understand your question. The quote from the airport official in the article you linked to said the total number of guests is considerably greater than what was expected. Other articles linked to said it was double and gave the 50 cent figure.

A passengers in my DME bus paid to take the bus to AKL. Her son didn't get out of work until later and it was easier to be picked up at AKL rather than at MCO. She said it was cheaper to pay to take the Disney bus than it was to take a cab. I didn't think to ask her who told her she could just pay to take DME.

I agree the transportation officials asked the airport to enforce the rules that Disney agreed to and wasn't adhering to.

My point is DME is good for us but isn't good for the airport or for other transpiration companies. It's really not fair competition when Disney is the only company that has access to incoming luggage, is the only company that can have employees on level three, evidently is paying a lower fee to the airport and is providing the service below cost.

[QUOTE=Lewisc]They did. Disney evidently agreed guests would have to have advance reservations to be transported. Disney isn't requiring advance reservations, is soliciting business at the airport and is going so far as to transport guests who aren't even staying at a Disney resort. Evidently the number of guests is at least double what Disney told the airport when the deal was negotiated.

QUOTE]

Where is this reported? It wasn't the airport that reopened all this. It was the transportation companies.

NotUrsula
09-25-2005, 07:15 PM
I was there 2 weeks ago and stopped to wait near the greeters on the 3rd floor while DS went to the restroom. I overheard several conversations where clueless passengers walked up and asked ME greeters how to get to WDW, and the greeters told them that there was a direct bus service, then proceeded to give them directions to the ME queue downstairs.

Ironically, when we got downstairs and were about to head into the garage, DH decided to take a restroom break, so I also overheard the other end of the ME transaction, when the folks at the head of the bus queue were explaining that the short line was for passengers who already had their ME tickets, and that if they still needed to get tickets, they needed to go to the other line (which was at the Mears counter.) That line was HUGE. There had to have been 400 people in it at 11 am on a Friday.

Mears is absolutely allowing people with no advance reservations on the ME busses, but they are paying for the ride. The underbus luggage compartments were full to the brim on every bus in the loading area. Taking the ME bus is MUCH quicker than taking the regular Mears service, and Mears is apparently selling that to as many WDW-bound passengers as they possibly can. I have to say I can't blame the livery operators for being livid about the ME/Mears greeters getting first crack at the walk-up business that way.

goofy4tink
09-26-2005, 08:48 AM
Is Mears still running 'their own' buses? Or are they just accepting payment, then putting those 'paying' customers on the DME buses? That would be annoying to me. And if the 'white gloves' are sending people to the Mears desk or to the DME desk (who in turn send them to Mears) then I have an issue with that. That just doesn't feel right. Those that have already made their reservations with DME should be the ones on those buses...not 'walk-ups'. Does it hurt me or impact me in some way? I really don't know, it's just the idea that gets me going. If this is what they are doing, then the towncar reps should be able to be up on the third level also. Might be time for just plain old signage rather than the human touch. Actually, I would prefer the signs...I haven't been able to find a 'person' to ask yet! At least not without going way out of the way.

ducklite
09-26-2005, 09:32 AM
Is Mears still running 'their own' buses? Or are they just accepting payment, then putting those 'paying' customers on the DME buses?

I can't answer the first question, but the second part is a resounding yes.

That would be annoying to me. And if the 'white gloves' are sending people to the Mears desk or to the DME desk (who in turn send them to Mears) then I have an issue with that. That just doesn't feel right. Those that have already made their reservations with DME should be the ones on those buses...not 'walk-ups'.

This is exactly what the situation is.

Does it hurt me or impact me in some way? I really don't know, it's just the idea that gets me going. If this is what they are doing, then the towncar reps should be able to be up on the third level also.

This is why they have threatened legal action.

Anne

Lewisc
09-26-2005, 09:36 AM
Is Mears still running 'their own' buses? Or are they just accepting payment, then putting those 'paying' customers on the DME buses?

They are running Mears buses to non-WDW hotels. They are not accepting reservations to WDW owned resorts but will sell a ticket and transport guests on ME buses

Does it hurt me or impact me in some way? I really don't know, it's just the idea that gets me going. If this is what they are doing, then the towncar reps should be able to be up on the third level also. Might be time for just plain old signage rather than the human touch. Actually, I would prefer the signs...I haven't been able to find a 'person' to ask yet! At least not without going way out of the way.

More passengers probably helps dispatch the buses faster. It's probably better for us but it sure isn't fair to taxis and limos. I'm not sure how it affects the limos but it has to hurt taxis.

seashoreCM
09-26-2005, 10:45 AM
however they have been steering business not eligible for DME to their jv partner, Mears. This is where the unfair trade comes in.
And many arriving passengers already had the cattle car and multiple stop grand tour of the greater Orlando countryside experience on Mears and went instead to the town cars and taxis. Others would take Mears at the suggestion of the white gloved person upstairs and say "never again".

--- On the other hand ---

They are running Mears buses to non-WDW hotels. They are not accepting reservations to WDW owned resorts but will sell a ticket and transport guests on ME buses.
(copied from another post)
Too bad Mears didn't think of it earlier, many years earlier. Run exclusive Disney resort shuttles, that is separate from the International Drive and Hotel Plaza Blvd. shuttles. Fewer stops, happier Disney guests, fewer guests switching to towncars, perhaps ME would then never have been invented.

Lewisc
09-26-2005, 10:58 AM
(copied from another post)
Too bad Mears didn't think of it earlier, many years earlier. Run exclusive Disney resort shuttles, that is separate from the International Drive and Hotel Plaza Blvd. shuttles. Fewer stops, happier Disney guests, fewer guests switching to towncars, perhaps ME would then never have been invented.

Mears didn't normally mix I Drive hotels with Disney hotels. The buses from the Boardwalk area would sometimes stop at the Marriott or Gaylord Palms but that's on the way to the airport. The behind the scenes luggage pick up and delivery to your room couldn't be done without Disney. Let's not kid ourselves, FREE is what makes DME popular. FREE means more passengers which leads to more frequent buses and fewer stops. FREE can't be done without Disney paying for it. Mears had to pickup from 4 locations, 2 on each side of the airport. DME takes care of luggage which means they only leave from one location which makes for a more efficient program.

Three or more guests and a towncar or rental car isn't that much more than Mears.

goofy4tink
09-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Mears didn't normally mix I Drive hotels with Disney hotels. The buses from the Boardwalk area would sometimes stop at the Marriott or Gaylord Palms but that's on the way to the airport. The behind the scenes luggage pick up and delivery to your room couldn't be done without Disney. Let's not kid ourselves, FREE is what makes DME popular. FREE means more passengers which leads to more frequent buses and fewer stops. FREE can't be done without Disney paying for it. Mears had to pickup from 4 locations, 2 on each side of the airport. DME takes care of luggage which means they only leave from one location which makes for a more efficient program.

Three or more guests and a towncar or rental car isn't that much more than Mears.

Absolutely!!! It just doesn't always make sense for one or two people to pay over $100 for a towncar when they can use Mears for $60. So, while DME is free, I'll be using it. And if it's just myself or myself and dd traveling, we'll probably pay for DME...it will most likely be cheaper than a towncar and I don't have to hassle with my bags. But, if dh is with us, we are now looking at close to $100 for DME. We'll take a towncar especially since dh is there and can deal with the heavier bags!!

ducklite
09-26-2005, 11:54 AM
Even when it was just DS and myself I used a towncar. The convenience far outweighed the additional cost, even on a low budget trip. I would cut corners elsewhere before I used the cattle car service.

Anne

Chicago526
09-26-2005, 11:58 AM
But is it soliciting when a person walks up to a CM and ASKS "how do I get to WDW?"

To me soliciting is the CM going up to people and saying "hey, if you are going to WDW then..."

Still, while this would mean that CM's are not violating the LETTER of the law, they are violating it's SPIRIT, which is to prevent unfair advantage.

Eitherway, I'm sticking with my towncar service. If the $100 round-trip fare is too expensive, then I can't afford a WDW to begin with. When I land at Orlando, the last thing I want to do is wait in lines and wait for busses, I want to go to WDW right NOW! And on the way home, after a week of riding buses everywhere, a towncar is a great way to end a trip (plus I get extra time at the resort before having to leave!).

Fire14
09-26-2005, 12:57 PM
I don't know how it was exactly said but a white glove came up to me and said something about magical express and going to Disney. I was a bit po'd as

# 1 I hadn't said word one to him, he came to me
# 2 When I said I wouldn't use a bus service again he got kinda snotty.
I continued on in my travels after that.

Pedler
09-26-2005, 01:33 PM
I think we are missing the point of ME. I don't think the overall goal is to compete with the other forms of transportation just to capture the market for transportation with the goal later on of charging for the service and making money off of it directly. I think the primary goal of ME is the same as the new ticket pricing and revised dinning plan. That goal is to capture more overall revenue per customer. The new ticket pricing encourages people to go to parks more days than they otherwise might have. That equates to more money spent in the parks and maybe more nights spent at hotels. The dinning plan encourages people to stay on site. My understanding is that the plan this year include less but is more affordable than some previous plans.

I think the goal with the Magic Express is to make it more cumbersome to go off site and spend money. If by tossing in transportation on a bus for a family of 4 that has a monetary value of say $100 or so they get them to spend more money on site or stay longer then it becomes a net win for Disney. I am sure that the scrooge McDucks of Disney are running the numbers on revenue per day per DME guest as opposed to no DME guests. (I am also confident that they are looking at what "extras" like the way over priced alcholic drinks dinning plan participants are buying as opposed to non dinning plan participants. Heck and extra drink or two at Disney's outragouse prices would negate any savings on the dinning plan.)

The fact that they are having a serious impact on other forms of transporation is just collateral damage in thier bigger goal of keeping guests captive on site and getting just about every dollar they spend. As I have said before in our case they took what may have been $1000 spent with Disney directly and turned it into almost $3,000 spent with Disney. That was money that would have gone to the Nick Hotel, a rental car, other restaurants and maybe another destination like Sea World. FYI we were more than glad to give Disney all of our money and none to anyone else. :)

Just my .02.

yayagoofy
09-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Anyone can solicit for rides once the passenger has "hit the curb". That would include hotels, taxi's, gypsy cabs, anyone.

DME was not supposed to be soliciting inside the airport, however they have been steering business not eligible for DME to their jv partner, Mears. This is where the unfair trade comes in.

They had access to the pax on level three, while other drivers and operators were limited to level one--and even at that point were not supposed to be soliciting. It was a definite unfair advantage, and probably in violation of F.T.C. regs.

Anne

That is incorrect, drivers can't solicit rides, it's against airport rules. Either you go to one of the concessionaire booths, or taxi starters. Or, the trip must be pre-arranged, your driver has to have your name on a sign along with your flight information. The "Meet and Greet" place to meet your driver is on level 2 (baggage claim).

yayagoofy
09-26-2005, 03:00 PM

BINGO!!! :teacher: :love2:

TDC Nala
09-26-2005, 03:06 PM
If the $100 round-trip fare is too expensive, then I can't afford a WDW to begin with.

I'm certainly not agreeing with that. The $100 is the flight cost for my next trip. And I'm one person, and $100 in transportation costs is NOT a bargain.

Besides, I can buy 10 martinis with that $100 (not all at the same time).

paladin
09-26-2005, 03:09 PM
drivers can't solicit rides, it's against airport rules.

Yes, it is against the rules, but that doesn't mean drivers "can't" solicit rides, it means they aren't supposed to. If you read through this thread, you will see several cases of folks being soliticited. Most airports have the same anti-solicitation rules, but drivers still solicit (they just try not to get caught). I have been solicited in airports and I have a friend who was a cab driver and has lots of interesting stories on the topic.

Chicago526
09-26-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm certainly not agreeing with that. The $100 is the flight cost for my next trip. And I'm one person, and $100 in transportation costs is NOT a bargain.

Besides, I can buy 10 martinis with that $100 (not all at the same time).

And that's why I posted "I" and not "you". :) I feel that if I cannot afford the $100 towncar service, then I probably can't afford the trip in the first place. Not that $100 isn't a lot of money to me, it is! It's just that I like to travel to WDW a certain way, and I make sure to (and we're blessed to be ABLE to) save up enough to do so. I know for others, the only way to get to WDW at all is to go as inexpensively as possible, and that could mean free ME. But also keep in mind that the free ME isn't going to last forever, so for those on a strict budget, they'll be right back where they started from, looking for the cheapest way to get to WDW. If they charge $30 round-trip for ME, a family of 4 would still be better off with a towncar service. They'd cost about the same but A) could do a grocery stop and B) don't have to deal with lines, waits, and multiple stops of ME.

ducklite
09-26-2005, 03:47 PM
But is it soliciting when a person walks up to a CM and ASKS "how do I get to WDW?"

The correct answer should be a referral to the airport run ground transportation desk which will in theory fairly represent all options, rather than a deliberate direction of business to the joint venture partner.

Anne

yayagoofy
09-27-2005, 03:46 AM
I agree. Strange what topics will get people to post for the first time. The person you quoted above was mentioning her experience in regards to DME and other transportation companies soliciting. It would have helped if you would have copied all the information.

If people have a complaint about soliciting they should take it up with the airport authority. I doubt the authority will make decisions based on a thread on the DIS.

"Strange?" So your first post was strange?

Sorry, I'm new to this, how do you click on the "quote button" from a previous thread to place that quote on this thread? I simply copy and pasted, because I didn't know how else to do it.

You raise a good point, something to think about, perhaps the airport authority is not aware of the millions of $ that are going to the illegal solicitors per year. They may be very interested, stories can get to them... and the media. So, how many people are illegally solicited by drivers/employees of transportation companies at the Orlando Airport? Let's hear the stories...

Lewisc
09-27-2005, 06:47 AM
yayagoofy--I'm curious, what other names have you posted under? What is your and your families relationship to the transportation industry?

I'll say the Disney employees are very open about flaunting airport solicitation rules. The drivers that may be soliciting at least try to be discrete about breaking rules.

yayagoofy
09-27-2005, 01:59 PM
yayagoofy--I'm curious, what other names have you posted under? What is your and your families relationship to the transportation industry?

I'll say the Disney employees are very open about flaunting airport solicitation rules. The drivers that may be soliciting at least try to be discrete about breaking rules.

Name, it was a long time ago, so actually I don't remember. I'm retired. My family? I guess you are talking about my children? One is a retail manager in California, and the other is an accountant in Michigan.

Lewisc
09-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Name, it was a long time ago, so actually I don't remember. I'm retired. My family? I guess you are talking about my children? One is a retail manager in California, and the other is an accountant in Michigan.

Many of us are curious why you chose this issue for your first posts. Did you have a problem with a driver? Before you retired did you work for Mears, Disney etc?

dudspizza
09-27-2005, 06:39 PM
Many of us are curious why you chose this issue for your first posts. Did you have a problem with a driver? Before you retired did you work for Mears, Disney etc?

This was my thinking when I made the first reply to the post. We have had many people create a name and post something bringing "awareness" to a situation, when in fact they were trying somehow to bad mouth a fellow competitor.

Everyone has their first post I guess, but it just seems a bit "fishy" that the first post was of one where there have been some heated debates and some very upset transportation companies.

Everyone has their opinion on this one..... I will always rent a car, but that is me. Many use DME, that is them. Others us a car company, so be it.

Time to move on....... I surely hope that you post on many other topics too, YAYAGOOFY..... so far you are in on one conversation......

Duds

yayagoofy
09-28-2005, 12:58 AM

The answer to your questions is "no".

For others, don't be embarrassed to tell/write your story, it will help others to know what to watch out for at the airport. Remember dial "2666" on any white page phone in the airport to report those illegal transportation solicitors. Laws have been written for a reason, it's all spelled out in black and white, all the legit transportation companies in Orlando have signed the agreements with the City and the airport. If they violate the agreements they signed, they know what will happen, it's plain and simple. What's not understood about a signed document?

WillCAD
09-28-2005, 08:00 AM
This was my thinking when I made the first reply to the post. We have had many people create a name and post something bringing "awareness" to a situation, when in fact they were trying somehow to bad mouth a fellow competitor.

Everyone has their first post I guess, but it just seems a bit "fishy" that the first post was of one where there have been some heated debates and some very upset transportation companies.

Everyone has their opinion on this one..... I will always rent a car, but that is me. Many use DME, that is them. Others us a car company, so be it.

Time to move on....... I surely hope that you post on many other topics too, YAYAGOOFY..... so far you are in on one conversation......

Duds

Many of us are curios as to why some people in this thread keep grilling the OP about his "motivations" and his "true identity". I find it "fishy" that so many people are "suspicious" of the guy's "motivations".

Personally, I could not care less about the OPs motivations, or anyone elses for that matter. Motivations mean nothing. Actions are what concerns me. I don't care what a person feels or believes, it what they do that's important in life.

The OP started a new thread on a heated topic. Why he did it and who he is are irrelevant; what he did could have a positive effect by increasing awareness of a potential problem in MCO that has affected many people.

I don't care if he's a disgruntled towncar owner who wants to bash the competition (which he hasn't done) or if he's Al Weis trying to bash the livery association (which he hasn't done) or a troll who wants to start an arguement with all comers (which he hasn't done, despite being unfairly grilled like a felon in several posts in this thread). All I care about is that he has not bashed anybody, he has not broken any rules of the DIS Boards, and the original topic of this thread is both legitimate and informative.

By knowing the rules and knowing that many of those "cabbies" who are soliciting in the airport are actually gypsies, newbies who have never been to MCO before will be able to avoid the dodgy cabbies and the scam artists, and will be able to find some sort of legitimate transportation.

Those of us who are comfortable in MCO often forget the fear and confusion that newbies often experience at flying into MCO. Sometimes they're afraid of flying, sometimes they are afraid of getting lost, sometimes they are flustered by 2 or 3 kids, sometimes they are simply lost and confused by the enormity of the airport. Whatever thier problem, nervous MCO newbies are big, fat targets to shady cabbies and scam artists of every stripe, and the more info we can give them beforehand, the more confident they can be on arrival - and the less likely to be victimized, or simply to make some of the common mistakes.

As for the OP, I don't care who he is or what he wants; forget about his "motivations" and concentrate on the content of this thread, content which could have a positive contribution to the boards, no matter who started it.

seashoreCM
09-28-2005, 09:44 AM
Maybe the airport should post signs telling where Magical Express is located. Good locations are at information booths and kiosks.

No doubt, if not already, airport employees will be badgered by the same question over and over, where to find ME. Whenever there is any frequently asked question remedial action is appropriate even if the action is in the form of a person waving a white glove whose salary is paid by some other company.

Pedler
09-28-2005, 11:22 AM
The OP started a new thread on a heated topic. Why he did it and who he is are irrelevant; what he did could have a positive effect by increasing awareness of a potential problem in MCO that has affected many people.

By knowing the rules and knowing that many of those "cabbies" who are soliciting in the airport are actually gypsies, newbies who have never been to MCO before will be able to avoid the dodgy cabbies and the scam artists, and will be able to find some sort of legitimate transportation.

This is an excellent point. The poster hasn't started hurling accusations and bad mouthing services the way some first time posters have. And I agree with WillCAD that this type of info is a service not just to first time MCO visitors but to lots of travel newbies that are not familiar with how major airport ground transportation works. I am sure that lots of people don't even know that it is regulated.

Time to lay off the posters motivations and just appreciate that this is good info for the non seasoned WDW vets.

Lewisc
09-28-2005, 12:47 PM
I don't think I was rude or argumentative, just curious. I'd expect someone who started a thread like this might have had a personal experience with or at least have observed, gypsy drivers in action. I was hoping the poster would share what they observed. This isn't a problem most people would think of unless they experienced or observed the behavior. If the OP is still reading this thread I'd be interested in hearing what you've seen or heard about the problem.

There have been very few posts regarding drivers soliciting business so I don't know how big the problem is. Just interesting the post surfaced days after Disney is getting in trouble for soliciting business on level three.

yayagoofy
09-30-2005, 02:05 AM
..Thank you for the kind words, it's appreciated..

goofy4tink
09-30-2005, 08:47 AM
Have to agree with WillCad. Who really cares and what difference does it make? It's nice to see others opinions and experiences. I, for one, have flown into MCO many times and I have to tell you...since DME started, I have gotten myself very disoriented in there, looking for side A!!! Felt a bit foolish too. I would love to see signage rather than those white-gloved CMs from now on. It would make finding the DME check-in are a bit easier for those who may be hesitant to ask for fear of looking foolish. Or, in my case, the first time we used DME, couldn't find a white-gloved CM to same my life!! so, just wandered around, going 'down' at every opportunity!!!

Letsbgoofy
09-30-2005, 01:41 PM
Soliciting aside, it seems to me that many feel Disney does not have the right to offer this service. Yes, I can see that it causes lost revenue for rental car/taxi/towncar services. The point is, other hotels offer the same service (without the luggage pick up) and I have never heard anyone complaining about them. If the airport doesn't like the per person fee they agreed on with Disney...well, whose fault is that?

I loved DME, but would only use it if it were free - otherwise it's back to a rental for me. It is a money maker for Disney, at least from my family. When we rent we buy groceries and eat some meals offsite. We also tend to spend time at either Sea World or USF (where we stay at their resorts).

yayagoofy,

I think this was a good question you asked. We have never been solicited in the airport, but I also avoid contact with people who look like they might ask! That was a scary story about the taxi driver and the women traveling with kids. Many people who travel to MCO are newbies (or don't speak English well) and could use a warning or some advice about finding transportation that is honest.

yayagoofy
10-02-2005, 02:01 AM
The correct answer should be a referral to the airport run ground transportation desk which will in theory fairly represent all options, rather than a deliberate direction of business to the joint venture partner.

Anne

The airport had those information desks in the baggage claim area, but due to budget cuts they removed them.