PDA

View Full Version : I'm disappointed ............

TN Traveler
09-23-2005, 02:58 PM
with my LSS and others. For the last two years I and several other ladies (about 10 of us) have had scrap nights about once every 4-6 weeks. (Best we can do w/our kid's schedules). We have asked the owner of our LSS to order different things--different paper, stickers, die cuts, tools etc. TO THIS DAY she has not added anything of signifcance to stock!! :earseek: Every time we go in, not together but on our own, we ask her when is she going to get new things. We've noticed there are very few people, if anyone, in the store and we go at different times! Because of this we have started going to other scrapbook stores in our area. The majority of them are at least 45 mins away but to find what we need/want, we carpool and go together. The problem is we really like this owner of don't understand how she can keep the business going. :confused3 So here's my question.......if you owned a scrapbook store and had several people requesting specific things, new items, etc but still ordered the same ole stuff, would it offend you if they stopped coming to your store? It's not like we're asking for weird stuff. We just want more vacation things, a better variety of cardstock, (SEI, American Crafts etc) and the most current tools. Are we expecting too much? I welcome comments and feedback.

Karen

graygables
09-23-2005, 03:05 PM
My LSS acted like I was imposing on them to special order something for me from Bazill, even though I needed more than enough for a minimum order and was paying for it! How hard was it to pick up the phone and call in an order? I wasn't asking for a discount or anything, so they made easy money, but still gave me a hassle. Never again.

When my family owned a gift shop, if people asked for it, we bent over backwards to get it for them. I wouldn't think twice about "leaving" a store that refuses to accomodate customer requests. It's amazing she's stayed in business.

WDWAurora
09-23-2005, 03:16 PM
TN Traveler-You're not shopping at Your Scrapbook Superstore in Sevierville are you? I'm hoping to go over tomorrow.

Spinning
09-23-2005, 03:21 PM
SOunds like the store near me...everything is on order but I don't understand...I asked 6 months ago and basic grey is still not in......Like you I go elsewhere!

Honeybehr1
09-23-2005, 04:23 PM
TN your are not being unreasonable. But this day in age, customer service is going out the window. I worked in retail for 20yrs (since I was 16) and IF I ever treated a customer like an imposition, I would be written up for it and if it was my third time - FIRED. But now adays, Managers have a who gives a ppfffttt attitude and I choose not to shop at those. I go to a scrap store that is out of my way because they are more than accomadating. Just even asking where something is -they take you to it as opposed to saying its over there two aisle. So even if you like her personally, you need to go where you can get your stuff since she doesnt want to order merchandise. Imagine what her business could be if she LISTENED to her customers. :flower:

scrapcreator
09-23-2005, 08:07 PM
Sounds like the owner has given up or is out of money... I know a small lss can't carry everything, but you do have to keep current on cardstock and a few lines.

My lss likes to keep current but can't carry everything. My friend mentioned the Kaleidoscope series to her and she had it in within days. And it's been flying out the door (of course, I had to buy some).

I know some lines take longer to get in, but not that long!

Jeanne

JudithM
09-23-2005, 08:22 PM
I am sorry for you ladies that your lss owner isn't more receptive to your comments. I would go to whichever stores provide you the product & the service you want.

I have two lss in my area in addition to Michael's, ACMoore & Recollections. Both owners are very nice.

One owner has ordered special items for me nearly from the begining (about three years ago). Early on she ordered me a case of 12"x12" albums - she let me pick the colors from her catalog & even gave me a discount. About 18 months ago I was doing a sb family recipe book, & she gave me another catalog to order embellishments.

nicki dahling
09-24-2005, 07:04 AM
Not that this is an excuse ( because if this is the problem then she should just tell you ) , but from what I understand many companies require that you fill large orders when buying from them. So she may not be able to meet the requirement for a "special" order.

Cyndi princess:

Spinning
09-24-2005, 08:53 AM
Cyndi you are so right. I know my LSS owner has told me that too. But I also think that once you meet that min. order many of the manufactures will then let you order at will.
With mine I think she just ordered wrong to begin with. Hate to say that because I do really like her. But she over board on military and albums. We are not near any military base So she got stuck with them and then of course her shop is small and they take up a lot of room.
I think she also wasn't up on the latest trends or even able to kind of predict. So she over loaded on stickers which I am sure if much cheaper to order than chunky embellishments.
I fear with this new super Jo's opening just 15 minutes aways she is doomed. You have to offer new and exciting products to keep people coming. I just can't understand why she has no basic grey!

pjlla
09-24-2005, 10:31 AM
We have a new SB store that opened about 25 minutes from here a few months ago. Just a small local business, not a chain. (And for around here 25 minutes is relatively close.... I travel 35-45 for Michael's and 1 hr for AC Moore... until yesterday when they opened one near the Michael's!!) Anyhow, I would like to see this business do well, not only for the convenience it gives me, but because they seem like a nice young family. I would hope that if I made a special request she would do whatever she could to find what I wanted.... and if she couldn't for one reason or another, that she would tell me, not just leave me to believe that she didn't care enough to try to get it for me.

If you have asked for specific things and they are not coming in and they are not even telling you why, then I would probably assume that they didn't care about your business. Oh well...........P

TN Traveler
09-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks to everyone for your replies to this thread. At least now I know I'm not the only one that feels this way! WDWAurora....no I'm not talking about the one in Pigeon Forge/Seviverville area. I live outside Nashville. That store is AWESOME!!

I'm sure there is some kind of minimum order required but don't know if it's based on a quantity or dollar figure. Maybe someone out there knows? I've asked this lady to get in SEI and American Crafters cardstock as well as some from Making Memories and she has yet to do it. I'll pay .59 or .69 for good C/S...the usual plain paper can be bought at JoAnne's or Mikes on sale so I don't understand why she keeps this in but not the other.

I'm a strong believer in keeping your business dollar in your local town and giving your business to the small businesses (especially since I'm lead agent at a local travel agency) and would rather do this but if she can't meet my demands (and others) then I fell I have no choice. :confused3

Thanks again for all feedback.
Karen

AdventureGuru
09-25-2005, 03:40 PM
My LSS will order just about anything...major lines she may throw out an email and see who is interested (thats how we ended up getting Sizzix) I can tell her there is something I want and I have it in a couple of weeks or less... :cool1:
MY LSS ROCKS!!!

JohnsPrincess
09-26-2005, 01:04 AM
I don't understand why someone would own a scrapbook shop and not be excited for all the new things! The girls that own the scrapshop that I always went to in Tampa LOVED ordering new things. They'd pull out the boxes and show everything to us as they got it!

I would totally start going to a different store. She may be nice, but she either doesn't care about what you guys want or, like another poster said, maybe she doesn't have the money. But either way, it's not stuff you want... go somewhere else!!

LindaBabe
09-29-2005, 07:20 AM
Her reluctance to order new stuff may well have to do with something simple - money! If all her money is tied up in stock that isn't moving, it's a catch 22 for her - no sales -> no cash to buy new stuff ->no sales, etc.

TN Traveler
09-30-2005, 02:15 PM
Just wanted to make a quick posting again to this. Today I stopped by the LSS here and noticed she does have some new paper in but have also noticed that she has alot of the same ol stickers that she's always had! I think one thing that keeps her head above water is that she has a weekly crop every Saturday morning for kids and gets a pretty good response from that I think. She is the only scrapbook store w/in a 20 + mile radius so I guess that works for her.

sandibeck
10-03-2005, 10:51 AM
with my LSS and others.
So here's my question.......if you owned a scrapbook store and had several people requesting specific things, new items, etc but still ordered the same ole stuff, would it offend you if they stopped coming to your store?
Karen

Here's my question:
Aren't you offended that she's not ordering anything new after not only you, but others you know of as well have requested new items?? I don't think she should be offended if she's not listening to what her customers request. We used to have a LSS in the small town next to ours and both owners (it swapped ownership before it went out of business) were always wonderful about listening to customers ideas and special ordering items on request. It was a real small store, but I hate they're gone because our once-a-month crops seemed to be the only time I could really get anything substantial done in my books.
If it's an issue of not having enough to order the minimum required, she should be up front and tell you. This is all just my opinion though!! But I really don't think you should feel guilty about going elsewhere.

TN Traveler
10-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Today I had to take my brother to the airport to catch a flight to DFW so after I dropped him off I went to a LSS I had been to before that's about 15 mins from the airport. Oh My Gosh!! I had so much fun!! She had SO much stuff and exactly what I was looking for!! I was so excited!!

Sandibeck.......yes, I guess in a way I am a little offended but I think I'm more sorry about it b/c I REALLY want the business to stay in my local town but apparently she's doing all she can. I guess I'll just get what I can there and the majority I'll purchase elsewhere.

Karen