PDA

View Full Version : Flying in July ...What to DO???? Help!!


jasheehy
09-23-2005, 10:43 AM
Decisions, Decisions, Decisions. Have a 10 day stay starting July 16 at SSR.

Now the problems(excitement) of planning begins.

Flights now are approximatly $250 AA and $275 (UA/Ted). Do I book now or do I sit back and wait and play the hedge game on pricing going up or down.

Always afraid to wait on SWA that I won't get a ticket if I wait until they open their ticket window to purchases.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joan S.
09-23-2005, 02:52 PM
HI, I do not know WHERE you are flying from, but we (almost) always fly SWA to MCO from Providence, RI in the summer(usually the last two weeks in July) The RATES have been GREAT the last few years and that time of year is not SUPER busy(like a school vacation week) so I usually get my pick of times.Just book when your dates are released and then if there is a BETTER FARE(DING or INTERNET) you can get a credit or sometimes a refund! I said (almost) because this past summer we flew into LAX from PVD using SWA also.We ended up paying about $200. RT(after I found an INTERNET special) and recieved a credit of $100. for 5 tickets.I had purchased the tickets when fares were released for $220. and then kept on checking the site! When my flight one way went down $20. I called and they helped me through rebooking at the lower fare, thus my $100. credit! Good Luck!! Joan

beccasmom
09-23-2005, 03:03 PM
Where are you located? If SWA is an option, you can always book and then get a credit if the fares go down (which sounds likely if you are not traveling until July). They are great to deal with.

Otherwise, my thought is that you can afford to wait a little bit. I would begin researching in earnest around the first of the year. You are, of course, hedging that prices don't rise appreciably due to the price of fuel. I can't offer any advice there - we have been told to see $4.00/gallon gas before the end of next week here in Philly. We went through that the week Katrina struck and are now seeing it again with the advent of Rita. So that’s an unknown. Set a date that you want to have reservation "closure", so that you can focus on other plans for your trip and relax! I would also avoid Delta or Northwest at this time because of their bankruptcy issues. Planning out that far ahead with an airline experiencing those problems is too much of a risk, IMHO. I've done it, but when flying in July, a heavy travel period, space on other airlines would be at a premium if you need to rebook.

Make sure you sign up with a couple of websites – Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, etc. and for e-mail alerts from the airlines you are considering. This will give you somewhat of an inside track. Make a point of checking frequently for sales and unpublished rates. And when you see a fare you can live with, book it! Don't wait.....seats go fast on any carrier. Good luck!