PDA

View Full Version : Update: Airport to boot Disney greeters

safetymom
09-22-2005, 05:46 AM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/custom/growth/orl-express2205sep22,0,564837.story?coll=orl-news-growth-headlines

Airport to boot Disney greeters

Taxis, other drivers said deal was unfair

Beth Kassab | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted September 22, 2005

Disney's Magical Express, the free service that shuttles Disney tourists and their baggage to and from Orlando International Airport, will no longer be able to lure in travelers with greeters on the airport's third level.

The employees, who wear oversized Mickey Mouse gloves, meet passengers as they enter the main airport terminal. Their location has been a source of friction for taxi, luxury car and rental-car services, which say Disney's exclusive access to the third level has significantly cut into their businesses.

"We don't let anybody else have greeters there," said airport board Chairman Jeffry Fuqua. "Everybody needs to have a fair opportunity and equal playing field."

The change came about Wednesday after the airport's attorney sent a letter to Disney's attorney informing him that the greeters need to be removed by Oct. 31. The letter also clarified that Walt Disney World guests who had not pre-arranged a ride on Magical Express would not be able to access the service once they arrived at the airport.

Disney spokesman Jacob DiPietre said Disney plans to discuss the changes with airport officials, but he would not comment on when the greeters would be moved or what effect that might have on the service.

"We evaluate and adjust our operations on an ongoing basis," DiPietre said.

Since Disney began Magical Express as a pilot project in May, other providers of transportation at the airport have cried foul, saying the service and Disney's special access have dramatically hurt their businesses.

Disney has said about 5,000 people ride Magical Express every day -- a number far above what the airport expected when it agreed to the 18-month trial run last year.

"The response is considerably greater than we anticipated," Fuqua said.

Earlier this month an attorney for the Greater Orlando Livery Association, a group of about 200 bus, van and luxury-car drivers, sent a letter to OIA Executive Director Bill Jennings demanding that the airport terminate Disney's contract for the program.

Larry Colleton, the attorney for the association, said Disney's greeters were soliciting passengers who had not already signed up for Magical Express, which is against the airport's solicitation rules.

Jennings had not responded to Colleton's letter and did not alert him about the changes for greeters.

"It's kind of like too little, too late," Colleton said. "We still stand by our position that this contract should be terminated. How is Disney being held accountable for its material breach of the contract?"

Disney has said it never violated any terms of its agreement with the airport.

Airport officials said they want to schedule a series of meetings with Disney over the next 60 days to lay out a framework for how Magical Express and any similar services that might be offered by other companies in the future will operate.

Of major concern is whether the pilot program is causing the airport to lose money because its other concessionaires may no longer pay as much in airport fees. Disney has spent $21 million on the program since May, about $2 million of that going to the airport through fees or improvements, according to documents from a private presentation Disney made to airport officials last month.

Fuqua said one option might be to require Magical Express to operate out of both the A and B sides of the terminal like most concessionaires such as rental-car companies and other shuttle services.

Currently Magical Express only operates out of the A terminal, and a change would significantly decrease the program's efficiency and result in an estimated increase of $15 million a year in Disney's operating costs, according to documents prepared by the company.

But Fuqua said other providers of transportation are required to operate on both sides of the airport despite the increased expenses and decreased efficiency.

"It costs more money for Hertz and the others to operate that way," Fuqua said. "We can't set our airport up to operate to Disney's pleasure."

erikthewise
09-22-2005, 07:17 AM
It does sound pretty slinky that Disney is trying to avoid having to provide service to both terminals. They need to shape up on that.

But it also sounds as if they airport was more than a little naive about the number of people involved. What did WDW tell them? "It's just little trial run in which all onsite guests for the next 18 months will be invited to participate."

safetymom
09-22-2005, 07:45 AM
Disney doesn't deserve all the blame. They had plenty of meetings before this started and OIA could have said something or denied them then.

rlduvall
09-22-2005, 07:50 AM
I sincerely see both sides of the argument, but it just makes me not want to use any other service besides Magical Express because now they are trying to force me to have to use their services; costing ME MONEY. Can't we all just get along. :)

CarolA
09-22-2005, 08:13 AM
Well, the airport is not being completely honest. Just last week I was harrassed by someone handing out advertsing flyers on right next to the Disney greeters.

And the airport needs to be fair. If I have not prearranged a ride with the limos I should not be solicited by them (and as I walked thur the "Gauntlet" last weekend I was solicited. At least one of them asked me if I needed a ride)

Sorry, but I think lots of the limo drivers have bought this on themselves. They gave lousy service and charge a fortune for it. Car Service to Disney is bmore expensive then a car service from my home to the airport in Atlanta and my journey in Atlanta takes longer.

ducklite
09-22-2005, 08:19 AM
Well, the airport is not being completely honest. Just last week I was harrassed by someone handing out advertsing flyers on right next to the Disney greeters.

And the airport needs to be fair. If I have not prearranged a ride with the limos I should not be solicited by them (and as I walked thur the "Gauntlet" last weekend I was solicited. At least one of them asked me if I needed a ride)

Sorry, but I think lots of the limo drivers have bought this on themselves. They gave lousy service and charge a fortune for it. Car Service to Disney is bmore expensive then a car service from my home to the airport in Atlanta and my journey in Atlanta takes longer.

I TOTALLY disagree that the car service people brought this on themselves.

IMHO it was Disney's way of keeping people from visiting other attractions, and they were enabled by Mears who wanted nothing mroe than to put every other car service out of business.

I'm glad that the airport is leveling the playing field. The telling line in that story is "Disney has said about 5,000 people ride Magical Express every day -- a number far above what the airport expected when it agreed to the 18-month trial run last year." That also leads me to believe that Disney might not have been totally upfront about other elements of the service.

Anne

PS--DL and JK--WAY TO GO!!

canwegosoon
09-22-2005, 08:28 AM
Either way you look at it the market (us) seems to be overwhemiling demanding free transportation to the parks. It seems that Disney/Mears has undercut the market, and now all other providers are paying the price. I do not picture this service continuing in it's current state, and I think in the future WDW will be charging a nominal fee (20pp). I think that is when the taxi/luxry cars will pick back up. But I also believe they(luxury cars) were out pricing themselves on our last trip in March. Rates were $125 for some car services...but now I notice you can get the same transportation for $100. A more reasonable figure IMO. 1st rule of marketing charge what the market will bare.

Lewisc
09-22-2005, 08:33 AM
It does sound pretty slinky that Disney is trying to avoid having to provide service to both terminals. They need to shape up on that.

NO REASON TO. When you get off the tram and enter the main terminal building you're not in the A or B side of the terminal but you're in the middle. There is no reason for any DME customer to walk to the B side since DME takes care of your luggage.

Other ground transportation needs to be in both sides to avoid customers having to go back up to the main level and walk all the way across the airport to get to the other side after they get their luggage.

MCO may be losing money. Disney is paying something like $1/ passenger and I suspect the airport makes more money with the concession fees paid by the other transportation companies. Look at the rental car concession fee. For most of us it averages more than $1 per passenger.

I can see Disney replacing the greeters with signs. I can see the airport trying to increase Disney's fees. Since the service is free the limo companies might try to force Disney to transport the luggage of all guests, not just those who chose to use the DME buses. Right now a guest who uses a towncar and has to get his luggage first isn't going to get to the resort much faster than a guest who rides a DME bus.

Of course it's not the limo companies fault. There really isn't any way to compete with a business that provides a service far below cost, which free certainly is.

Gary M
09-22-2005, 09:02 AM
I had read something in the past about Disney thinking about building their own airport. This may be completely unfounded. but who knows.

ducklite
09-22-2005, 09:26 AM
I had read something in the past about Disney thinking about building their own airport. This may be completely unfounded. but who knows.

Kind of. At one point of the initial concept, they were going to have a private airstrip for people to pilot their own planes in. YOu can still see it as you ride the monorail from Epcot to teh TTC out the right side. It was an idea which in concept was nice, but in reality was not going to work for multiple reasons.

Anne

DisneyMommyMichelle
09-22-2005, 09:34 AM
argg....leave Disney alone. I personally think if the limo services and taxi companies would lower their prices they wouldn't be whining as much. I'm sorry but when you take a limo to a resort RIGHT OUTSIDE WDW it's almost 10$ cheaper than going to the WORLD they UP their prices just b/c they know you are going to WDW.

I'm always going ot take what's free over what i have to pay for haha....We are taking DME and are happy to be doing so.

Lewisc
09-22-2005, 09:47 AM
I'm sorry but when you take a limo to a resort RIGHT OUTSIDE WDW it's almost 10$ cheaper than going to the WORLD they UP their prices just b/c they know you are going to WDW.

Not true. I just checked FL Tours, Tiffany and ***********. *********** does charge an extra $5 for MK resorts since Disney charges them.

Other than that the rates to Disney resorts are the same as other hotels in the same general area.

They do charge less for the International Drive hotels but they leave the airport via the N road and I think the mileage is less.

edited to say I checked the rates of the board sponsor and two other towncar companies that get mentioned a lot. I see one of them is now getting censored. It's a company that was allowed to be mentioned by name just yesterday.

ducklite
09-22-2005, 09:57 AM
Not true. I just checked FL Tours, Tiffany and ***********. *********** does charge an extra $5 for MK resorts since Disney charges them.

Other than that the rates to Disney resorts are the same as other hotels in the same general area.

They do charge less for the International Drive hotels but they leave the airport via the N road and I think the mileage is less.

It is.

Anne

pplasky
09-22-2005, 10:00 AM
People will still be able to use ME for the remainder of the contracted period, which I believe is Oct of 2006. After that, Disney was going to start charging for the service. It was only piloted and free during the 50th celebration. Get people hooked and then charge. As long as you sign up ahead of time and can follow directions, it will still be accessable until the end of 2006.

Tinkim
09-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Can somebody explain this whole ME thing to me? I was under the impression that you had to book ME in advance with a package deal and it is free. So my question is aren't the people at the aiport with the big white Mickey hands mostly just directing people where to go? They are not actually soliciting are they? If I didn't book ME in advance I couldn't just walk up and get on the bus could I? I guess I am just trying to understand what the problem is exactly. I understand the private towncar and limo companies are losing money to ME but I don't understand the solicitation part of it. Is is just the presence of the ME people making travelers aware that Disney offers this service for free that is the problem? Thanks. Just curious.

Lewisc
09-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Can somebody explain this whole ME thing to me? I was under the impression that you had to book ME in advance with a package deal and it is free. So my question is aren't the people at the aiport with the big white Mickey hands mostly just directing people where to go? They are not actually soliciting are they? If I didn't book ME in advance I couldn't just walk up and get on the bus could I? I guess I am just trying to understand what the problem is exactly. I understand the private towncar and limo companies are losing money to ME but I don't understand the solicitation part of it. Is is just the presence of the ME people making travelers aware that Disney offers this service for free that is the problem? Thanks. Just curious.

Disney is allowing resort guests to take ME buses even if they didn't sign up in advance. Disney is also sending guests who aren't eligible for DME over to the Mears desk and allowing them to buy a ticket and then transporting them on DME buses.

goofy4tink
09-22-2005, 10:40 AM
While I can understand the towncar/limo services position..I do have to say that every single time I have been to MCO and gone down that escalator, I have been approached by someone asking me if I need a ride to WDW or anyplace else. Every single time!!! I haven't seen Disney people soliciting anyone. And the one time, the first time I used DME, that I actually needed to find a white-gloved person, I couldn't!! I just wandered around aimlessly, heading down but with no idea where I was going.
Did Disney give completely, upfront and honest info to MCO? Probably not. I, for one, wish that they weren't offering DME to anyone who hasn't reserved it in advance. To me, that could be a breach. No different than the towncar people soliciting me. You either have reservations or you don't. Especially since it's free.
When Disney starts charging for this in Nov '06, I'll probably go back to using a towncar service if it costs the same as DME for the three of us. But, I am not going to spend more than $30 more to use a towncar service. For example...DME for the three of us, at $25 pp, would be $75 (obviously). If a towncar is going to cost me $100 and then a tip of $20-30 on top of that, I am not going to use a towncar..plain and simple. I can use that extra money for my food budget.

Tinkim
09-22-2005, 10:50 AM
Disney is allowing resort guests to take ME buses even if they didn't sign up in advance. Disney is also sending guests who aren't eligible for DME over to the Mears desk and allowing them to buy a ticket and then transporting them on DME buses.

Thanks Lewisc. Now I get it. I didn't realize that you could get on an ME bus without the advance reservation or that you could purchase a ticket for the DME if you didn't even have a package. That makes a lot more sense. We have been to WDW three times since 1999 and have never been approached by someone asking if we needed a ride. I guess we must look super confident and as if we know what we are doing. :rotfl:

CarolA
09-22-2005, 12:11 PM
My presonal rule is to avoid any business with a "mandatory tip" Tipping should be based on SERVICE not a mandatory fee.... If it's mandatory it just needs to be added to the cost!!!! Some of the towncars have a "mandatory tip"... Let's see you can be late, drive badly, treat me rudely and you want a "mandatory tip"????

I have seen the folks at the airport and I would NOT in any way call what they are doing soliciting... Perhaps if MCO could put up some information stands and good signage to the stands that would reduce Disney's need to pay folks....

CarolA
09-22-2005, 12:13 PM

Which would still be legal... Mears is a licensee and owns the buses so Mears would of course have to pay the airport commission fee on every fare they sell.

The fact that Mears chartered the buses is not really that much different then if my company charters a Mears bus.

ducklite
09-22-2005, 01:09 PM
While I can understand the towncar/limo services position..I do have to say that every single time I have been to MCO and gone down that escalator, I have been approached by someone asking me if I need a ride to WDW or anyplace else.

I've been flying in and out of MCO on average 6-8 times a year for teh past five years or more, and I can count on one finger the number of tiems I've been approached by someone looking to pick up a fare.

Anne

jenelope
09-22-2005, 04:08 PM

Other than not making advanced reservations, why would a guest be considered ineligible for DME? Everyone staying on WDW property should be eligible, except for people staying in the hotels not owned by Disney (Swan, Dolphin, Shades of Green, and Downtown Disney area hotels). If it's those people, then I can understand a bit of why the livery companies are concerned. The DME busses should only go to the authorized Disney-owned resorts. However, the greeters should be allowed to refer guests to the Mears counter if a guest inquires about a shuttle to a non-DME resort. Perhaps they should say something like, "There are many transportation options available for your hotel," and then inform them of the locations for all services at once.

I don't like the idea of DME greeters soliciting, but I question how much actual soliciting is going on. If a passenger hasn't reserved in advance and inquires about taking the shuttle, and the greeter says that they can still use the shuttle, that's not solicitation on the part of DME. If a Dolphin guest inquires about DME and learns that the hotel is not included, then asks where they can purchase a shuttle ticket, and the greeter refers them to Mears, it's not solicitation. If that same person just stands there for a moment, pondering their transportation options and the DME greeter says something like, "If you'd like, you can purchase a ticket to the Mears shuttle," that is solicitation. I think people in those kinds of positions tend to offer more information than they probably should, in an effort to be helpful. I know I, myself, would be in big trouble that way (future reference librarian: I need to fill information voids). Maybe part of the greeter training needs to include instructions: "answer, do not ask or offer." :confused3

clkelley
09-22-2005, 04:28 PM
I don't understand why everyone is worried about the reserve in advance part.

There are many hotels in Orlando that provide complimentary transportation to their hotel. Do they make them reserve in advance for this transportation?? Probably not. When they get downstairs they call on a phone

Moving the greeters down to the desk should solve most of the carriers gripes.

Disney has every right to provide free transportation to its resort guests from the airport with or without advanced reservations. It's just that Disney is SO BIG that the little guys are complaining.

Carol

goofy4tink
09-22-2005, 05:00 PM
I've been flying in and out of MCO on average 6-8 times a year for teh past five years or more, and I can count on one finger the number of tiems I've been approached by someone looking to pick up a fare.

Anne
Hi Anne, It's probably that I look like I'm lost or confused!!! Even though I consider myself familier with MCO I still get discombobulated at times in there. So, it could be that these drivers think they are being helpful...but I have been approached. Of course there is the one time that we had to go looking for our driver!!!! That took about 10-15 minutes before we found him! That time two different people asked me if I needed a driver or a ride!! I guess I should start looking more 'with-it' and knowledgable!

canwegosoon
09-22-2005, 09:19 PM
Other than not making advanced reservations, why would a guest be considered ineligible for DME? Everyone staying on WDW property should be eligible, except for people staying in the hotels not owned by Disney (Swan, Dolphin, Shades of Green, and Downtown Disney area hotels). If it's those people, then I can understand a bit of why the livery companies are concerned. The DME busses should only go to the authorized Disney-owned resorts. However, the greeters should be allowed to refer guests to the Mears counter if a guest inquires about a shuttle to a non-DME resort. Perhaps they should say something like, "There are many transportation options available for your hotel," and then inform them of the locations for all services at once.

I don't like the idea of DME greeters soliciting, but I question how much actual soliciting is going on. If a passenger hasn't reserved in advance and inquires about taking the shuttle, and the greeter says that they can still use the shuttle, that's not solicitation on the part of DME. If a Dolphin guest inquires about DME and learns that the hotel is not included, then asks where they can purchase a shuttle ticket, and the greeter refers them to Mears, it's not solicitation. If that same person just stands there for a moment, pondering their transportation options and the DME greeter says something like, "If you'd like, you can purchase a ticket to the Mears shuttle," that is solicitation. I think people in those kinds of positions tend to offer more information than they probably should, in an effort to be helpful. I know I, myself, would be in big trouble that way (future reference librarian: I need to fill information voids). Maybe part of the greeter training needs to include instructions: "answer, do not ask or offer." :confused3
That's what I was wondering...I was told by cs that anyone staying onsite was able to do ME.

manning
09-22-2005, 11:22 PM

Do you know what it takes to build a new airport? Come to Illinois and find out. It seems like forever.

manning
09-23-2005, 12:18 AM
It wouldn't be practical to build another airport, But if they thought it was worth it they could build one heck of a large convention center. One that would rival the one Orlando has.

Lewisc
09-23-2005, 05:53 AM
I asked why he paid Mears to ride ME. He went back to MCO to return a rental car and wanted to ride DME to get back to CSR. Disney told him he only got to ride free the day of his flight and sent him to Mear to buy a ticket.

Other guests may not be on the hotel reservation, not eligible and evidently can pay to ride the bus. This could include parties that are over the occupancy limit, people hoping not to get charged for extra adults or who don't want to pay for an extra guest to have the same package as the rest of the room.

Other than not making advanced reservations, why would a guest be considered ineligible for DME? Everyone staying on WDW property should be eligible, except for people

Letsbgoofy
09-23-2005, 06:23 AM
DME was extended through the end of 2006 wasn't it (the free DME anyway)?

I can see why the limo companies and other transportation providers are upset, Disney is taking away a lot of their revenue. What I don't understand is why they feel Disney shouldn't have this right. I have stayed in many hotels that provide free airport shuttles, why is Disney any different?

I understand that the big complaint is soliciting, and that should be stopped. But it also sounds like many companies don't feel that Disney should be allowed to provide this service at all.

pirateofthecarolinas
09-23-2005, 06:27 AM
Now the airport employees will be asked 5,000 times a day how to get to DME! :rolleyes:

Lori

ducklite
09-23-2005, 07:47 AM
DME was extended through the end of 2006 wasn't it (the free DME anyway)?

I can see why the limo companies and other transportation providers are upset, Disney is taking away a lot of their revenue. What I don't understand is why they feel Disney shouldn't have this right. I have stayed in many hotels that provide free airport shuttles, why is Disney any different?

I understand that the big complaint is soliciting, and that should be stopped. But it also sounds like many companies don't feel that Disney should be allowed to provide this service at all.

Actually the problem is simply unfair competitive advantage. The car service and cab drivers are not allowed to solicit for business in the terminal, but Disney is. That is what the complaint is about, and it's VERY valid.

Anne

Gary M
09-23-2005, 09:12 AM
Do you know what it takes to build a new airport? Come to Illinois and find out. It seems like forever.

I think WDW could build an airport easier than the government of Illinois (Chicago) could build a Walt Disney World. I live in Indiana and have read about the airport situation in Chicago. I know "The Region" has tried to get the airport built in Indiana.

CarolA
09-23-2005, 09:44 AM

Anne
I got hit on Friday night. I had to stop just after I got off the escaltor from the arrival level to rearrange my computer case! Two guys with signs asked me if I needed a ride. I wonder if they really had customers or were just trolling and had signs to allow them to stand there.

If I wasn't in a hurry I think I would complain and after this stunt if it happens again I think I will contact the airport and complain. I didn't notice the car service signs this time, but I will make note next time. If these guys want to whine about Disney soliciting then they have to play by the rules they made.

Steph H
09-23-2005, 11:32 AM
Now the airport employees will be asked 5,000 times a day how to get to DME! :rolleyes:

Lori

Speaking of which... :rolleyes1

Now this thread has me worried that I'll never find the DME location. I've never been to Florida before, so of course, I've never been to MCO before. Can some of you super-veterans offer me some advice on where I need to go when I get off the plane? Should I just head in the direction of baggage claim and the desk will be nearby or something like that?

Thanks in advance!!

clkelley
09-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Yes, the easiest way is to head toward Baggage Claim A, then instead of stopping at baggage claim, head straight for the next set of down escalators to Level 1.

It will be easy to find at that point.

Carol

Steph H
09-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Yes, the easiest way is to head toward Baggage Claim A, then instead of stopping at baggage claim, head straight for the next set of down escalators to Level 1.

It will be easy to find at that point.

Carol

Thank you!!!!!

ducklite
09-23-2005, 12:01 PM
I got hit on Friday night. I had to stop just after I got off the escaltor from the arrival level to rearrange my computer case! Two guys with signs asked me if I needed a ride. I wonder if they really had customers or were just trolling and had signs to allow them to stand there.

Probably trolling. But the diference is that they have to stay on that area, even if they are legit, while WDW greeters are allowed right up by security.

BTW--any idea how long it will take me to take MARTA from ATL to the Buckhead station?

Anne

Letsbgoofy
09-23-2005, 12:02 PM
ducklite,

I realize that the problem is that Disney is soliciting, and said in my post that it should be stopped.

It looks like many of these other transportation companies don't want Disney to be allowed to run this service at all. That is what I am saying that I don't understand, why Disney wouldn't have the right to provide their guests with free transportation.

ducklite
09-23-2005, 12:04 PM
ducklite,

I realize that the problem is that Disney is soliciting, and said in my post that it should be stopped.

It looks like many of these other transportation companies don't want Disney to be allowed to run this service at all. That is what I am saying that I don't understand, why Disney wouldn't have the right to provide their guests with free transportation.

I think they are saying it's unfair trade practices, although I'm not sure I agree with them on that note from a legal aspect.

Anne

CarolA
09-23-2005, 12:12 PM
Probably trolling. But the diference is that they have to stay on that area, even if they are legit, while WDW greeters are allowed right up by security.

BTW--any idea how long it will take me to take MARTA from ATL to the Buckhead station?

Anne

The train ride is about half an hour. However, depending on the day and time you can have up to a 20 minute wait between trains. It takes me 45 minutes to go to Chamblee and that's the end of my line.

ducklite
09-23-2005, 12:26 PM
So if I plan on about 70 minutes I'll be safe, right? Do you know if the station at Buckhead has any shelter if the weather is bad and I arrive before my ride to the meeting I'm going to?

**Apologies for a temporary thread hi-jack**

Anne

inkkognito
09-23-2005, 01:37 PM
I wonder if the solicitations from some drivers are worse now that ME is in place. We've been coming to WDW for years and have only been solicited twice. The second time was when in the middle of the night, when our ride didn't show (not a limo company)...we were wandering around confused, as was a Mears towncar driver. I think he legitimately had a fare that did not show up...he wasn't just trolling for business. We were going to get a taxi but struck a deal with him instead. Other than that, we're never been approached.
Barb

CarolA
09-23-2005, 04:24 PM
So if I plan on about 70 minutes I'll be safe, right? Do you know if the station at Buckhead has any shelter if the weather is bad and I arrive before my ride to the meeting I'm going to?

**Apologies for a temporary thread hi-jack**

Anne

Yes, you should be fine. There is shelter at the station that you can wait at.

Also, at the airport depending on when you are arriving you may have to change trains.

You want the North Springs Train. Late evenings and sometimes on weekends all trains from the airport are Doraville. you just get off at Lindbergh station and get on the next North Springs train. Remember Buckhead and Lenox while very close to each other are two different trains!!!

ducklite
09-23-2005, 06:58 PM
Yes, you should be fine. There is shelter at the station that you can wait at.

Also, at the airport depending on when you are arriving you may have to change trains.

You want the North Springs Train. Late evenings and sometimes on weekends all trains from the airport are Doraville. you just get off at Lindbergh station and get on the next North Springs train. Remember Buckhead and Lenox while very close to each other are two different trains!!!

Thanks for the help. I'm actually arriving the night before, and staying in an airport hotel. I'll take their free shuttle back to the airport in the am, and catch MARTA from there. I'm glad I asked, didn't know I might need to switch trains.

Anne

Candicno
09-24-2005, 06:32 PM
I just don't get it. Every airport has hotels that offer free shuttles. I agree with everyone else that this is no different.

How are they soliciting customers if you have to already be a customer to use the service (ie-have a hotel reservation)? That is not soliciting new customers, it is informing already customers about their services. I have seen plenty of signs (advertisements in the terminals) in airports for the airport hotels, touting their shuttle service, and ME should be no different. To me, signs solicit business, and they allow that. They really do serve the same purpose IMHO. Now, Disney SHOULD pay for the advertising, be it a sign or a person waving REALLY STUPID MICKEY HANDS. The aiport is a business and they can choose who to sell advertising to.

It's the classic tale of the little guy being pushed out, and trying to claw his way back up by any means necessary. Unfortuntaly, big businesses such as Disney are able to offer people what they want. This reminds me of Walmart...

ducklite
09-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Candicno--They are not supposed to be "soliciting" business. But in reality, they are soliciting business by directing people to the Mears desk rather than a cab, a car service, or LYNX. As Mears has the contract for DME, they are unfairly steering business to their business partner, and away from teh other providers. Thye are able to do this because they are in the main terminal, arrivals level right where people get off the monorail from the airsides. That is what is not fair. They are able to solicit business, while others are not.

Anne

safetymom
09-25-2005, 05:18 AM
I will have to watch more carefully the next time I am there. Every time I have seen a CM for DME standing there they were more interested in talking to the other CM than people.

I think this is sour grapes on the part of the other transportation companies. When the airport authority and Disney sat down to discuss this I am sure the airport authority knew that Disney planned to stand outside security. You can't blame this all on Disney.

Once the CM's are standing with the rest of them I am sure the transportation companies will find something else to complain about.

Andrew Bichard
09-25-2005, 06:38 AM
I am getting confused.

I have not received my DME tags yet although I am departing in about a week and sometimes things get delayed in the mail, especially international mail. (I am travelling from UK)

International arrivals work slightly differently, because you have to retrieve your luggage from one carrousel, take it through customs, then put it back on another conveyor where it gets transported to the regular arrivals corrousels which internal flights use. I had assumed that should my tags fail to arrive, there would be Disney staff at outside customs to give me tags before I put them back into the system. (Just like the staff from Virgin Holidays directing their incoming guests).

Now I am not sure what will be happening. If I read this thread right, I am going to have to retrieve my luggage a second time and take it outside and find DME staff there, to find out if I can use DME. In a worst case scenario - if there is no space for me on a DME bus, I then have to take my luggage back inside, and go down a level to the Mears desk and see if they can take me.

Have I got this right?

Andrew

safetymom
09-25-2005, 06:47 AM
If you have already signed up for DME there will be room on the bus for you. I would call DME and see if there is anything extra you need to do since you will be an international arrival.

WillCAD
09-25-2005, 07:21 AM
I think this is sour grapes on the part of the other transportation companies. When the airport authority and Disney sat down to discuss this I am sure the airport authority knew that Disney planned to stand outside security. You can't blame this all on Disney.

Once the CM's are standing with the rest of them I am sure the transportation companies will find something else to complain about.

As I said in the original thread about the travel companies' complaint:
Yeah, having a business that you have busted your hump and sacrificed to build up over many years suddenly dry up and blow away because a multi-billion-dollar megalithic corporations starts giving it away free as a promotional perk tends to cause peoples' grapes to go a little sour.

Of coarse, Disney has a perfect right to operate a service like DME, and I think it is long overdue. But I do think that they will not provide the service for free in perpetuity; I'm certain that they will begin to offset the huge cost of DME by charging for it at some point, and knowing Disney, they will charge the same or a little more than Mears charges on their own busses ($29 r/t).

DME will become a perk that Disney can throw in for free for limited times, like the free dining plan, that will be very useful as a marketing and promotional device.

Personally, however, I will continue to rent a car on every trip. I'm willing to pay the extra money, and handle my own luggage, in order to be freed from hassles of riding in a shuttle with 50 other people.

safetymom
09-25-2005, 07:47 AM
That is what free enterprise is all about. Many people don't want to have to pay for transportation to the resorts and Disney is filling that need along with their own.

Everyone is free to start a business and have to deal with competition.

What is stopping the other transportation services with coming up with their own new service?

kaytieeldr
09-25-2005, 12:43 PM
Andrew - as Safetymom suggested, if you've reserved with DME you should contact them for specific information (and if you haven't, you should make reservations before leaving home).
This is just supposition on my part, but I'd think either of the following would work:
After clearing Customs, instead of placing your luggage on the second carousel, just take it with you to the DME counter (less preferable, hauling it up and down escalators), or
After clearing Customs, place your luggage on the carousel as usual, head off to the DME counter, check in and let THEM handle your luggage!