PDA

View Full Version : Full Buses

valvzb
09-21-2005, 07:06 PM
We just returned from a trip to WDW. On a couple of occasions the buses were standing room only when we got on and we ended up standing. I was very disappointed that I ended up standing while plenty of perfectly healthy young men and women sat in their seats. Not only am I an older woman I am very short and it is quite a strain to hang on to the overhead bars. My knees are still sore from trying to brace myself. My son who is 16 and fairly short also had a really sore arm from straining to reach the bar.
On the last day I overheard a 20-something couple talking and the man asked his wife if he should give up his seat for me and she sneered back at him not to. Nice. I was already on the verge of tears from the pain and the rudeness just did me in.
I'm sure that my son would never take someone's seat even if they offered but it would be nice if someone did offer.
Until the age of chivalry returns here's a guideline: Offer to give up your seat to anyone:
older
shorter
physically or mentally challenged

Kimmielee
09-21-2005, 07:15 PM
I'm sorry that you encountered such rude and inconsiderate people. What is your disability? They certainly weren't DIS'ers!! I normally see much more courteous people on the buses... except for one drunk individual that was angry when a person in a wheelchair was being helped onto the bus (it was a handicapped bus) and the drunk man was MAD that the wheelchair took the place of 4 seats or some other such nonsense.

It's supposed to be a HAPPY PLACE... right? :flower:

BBGirl
09-21-2005, 07:36 PM
I'm not surprised this happened when we were down there in July. Every bus was standing room only and even though we always waited for the next bus so we could sit down-I almost always gave up my seat to childern or older persons or the guy with cane. One time I said no way not tonight I'm not giving up my seat well I just could not sit when a 7 year old child with braces on his legs was standing so of course I got up, mind you the bus was full nobody else thought to get up. :confused3 I just could not believe the people who didn't care if little kids or eldery or hadicapped stood while they sat. :earseek: young couples, teens etc. I don't know where their parents were but SHAME on them . My mom would have found some way to know that I didn't give up my seat and would have kicked my well over the age of 18 year old butt from here back to disney and home again. :rolleyes: I really don't think I could enjoy the looking forward to getting to the parks looking at someone who should not have been standing while I sat. :earboy2:

ducklite
09-21-2005, 07:44 PM
This topic comes up now and then, and I can see both sides.

If you know you ahve a hard times reaching and can see that the bus is packed, don't get on, just wait for the next one. Everyone is tired at the end of the night.

Personally speaking, I'll give my seat to a young child, parent with a baby, disabled, or elderly person. I will not give my seat to an able bodied person regardless of how tall, short, fat, skinny, or whatever they are. Why? Because if I gave up my seat every time someone else thought they should get it, I'd never get to sit.

I practice what I preach, and have waited for the next bus a few times when I could tell I wouldn't be able to sit.

Anne

bunny
09-21-2005, 08:20 PM
I have 2 small children and invariably I had to stand on almost every bus holding one of them. People will not get up for you. One time a lady got on with a 2 year old. She was standing a little bit down from where I sat. Three or four men were sitting next to her. When the bus started moving, the 2 year old fell down. He started crying. The mom tried to hold him and herself at the same time. I immediately got up and traded places with her. Shame on those men. It also irriates me when people have children sitting next to them instead of holding them on their lap. I saw people let their children sit while older people stood. And don't even get me started on the teenagers. I told my husband next time we rent a car. And we went in September. I can't imagine what happens during a busy time. As for waiting for the next bus, when you have small children or are tired at the end of the day, you don't want to wait. My husband did this one night after the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom. The bus was full so he waited. The next bus did not come for 45 minutes!

ducklite
09-21-2005, 08:26 PM
bunny--When my son was about ten some lady had a snit fit at my husband for not holding "the baby" on his lap. :rolleyes:

My husband told her that if she'd like to sit and hold our son on HER lap it would be fine.

And no, he didn't offer his seat--she wasn't any older than him, if anything younger, and quite rude.

While I agree that a two year old could sit on a parents lap, it's pretty absurd to expect an older kid to do so.

Anne

bunny
09-21-2005, 08:27 PM
I meant children kindergarten or under.

taximomfor4
09-22-2005, 07:07 AM
I meant children kindergarten or under.

I have posted on this same topic in the past. Many times, my dh will give up his seat. But more often, we will sit down on the pavement and wait for another bus. There are FOUR kids in my family. While my oldest dd12 will stand, my 7yo (who LOOKS normal) is special needs and absolutely, no way, can stand on a bus. Yes we get dirty looks for her sitting. My 5yo son has poor balance control and an abnormality with his legs. He cannot stand either. MY littlest one, who was 2, was not going to stand. And I could not hold her on my lap because then, which hands would hold the other 2 kids who needed help? So yes, littlest one, at age TWO, had her own seat, always one with a pole so she could hold on. Trust me, dirty looks abounded. I just learned to ignore it. People don't know ANYTHING about my kids, my reasons, and honestly, have no right to judge me. My dh mostly gave up his seats, and stood holding on with one hand while holding the stroller with the other.

The buses are crowded...we were there Easter week and in August. We almost always skipped fireworks, and gave extra time to travel by bus. We definitely needed it, as we often chose NOT to get on the first one that came, and were then often first to choose seats on the NEXT bus. This was a much safer option for us.

jarestel
09-22-2005, 08:17 AM
This issue comes up often enough that most people should realize there's a certain amount of risk involved when boarding a standing room only bus. Since giving up seats seems to be something more and more people are becoming less inclined to do, anyone getting on a standing room only bus should probably not rely on the "kindness of strangers" approach in order to get a seat. If sitting is important, waiting for the next bus is probably the best option.

I have noticed that many bus drivers now will warn people getting on the bus when it's SRO.

Lewisc
09-22-2005, 09:29 AM
I understand we should be willing to give up a seat for an elderly person or a parent holding an infant but OP is expecting passengers to give up a seat for her 16 year old. That's not going to happen. Drive to the parks or wait for the next bus. A teenager should be the passenger giving up a seat not expecting one.

DisneyHumbug
09-22-2005, 10:09 AM
My DD is 19 and looks perfectly healthy. However she has a disability that I won't get into here. She will not get up and give you her seat! Sorry. My DS and I always give our seats to mothers with children or the elderly. But if you are around my age, you're out of luck.

paults
09-22-2005, 12:51 PM
:confused3 PEOPLE :grouphug: , I think we're looking at this the wrong way. It seems like this thread about who should give up their seat and who shouldn't is crazy.

First of all it is a problem DISNEY needs to address before someone gets hurt from standing in the isle. ( AND DISNEY KNOWS ITS A PROBLEM)

Second, how can one tell if a younger or older person doesn't need the seat their in. Just because someone looks alright doesn't mean they are.
I get peeved when I see a car park in a handicap space and they get out and walk with no distinct problem. Who's to say that person doesn't have a heart condition or something else wrong.

Thirdly, I for one will give up my seat SOMETIMES if I am feeling OK. I look like I'm in good shape but have had 3 major back surgeries ( 2 in the last 2 yrs) and need 1 new knee. I don't like people expecting me to give up my seat after standing in line for 20 min and them not knowing my physical problems just because I look healthy.

We as a whole need to address the bus problem on our own. If you need a seat and the bus is crowded then wait for the next one, if you can't wait then you have to deal with the problem of standing.

REMEMBER: don't blame the passengers blame the DISNEY BUS SYSTEM
it is fixable and Disney can fix it.

Okiemom
09-22-2005, 01:11 PM
This is so silly. If you don't want to stand, don't get on a full bus. I guess that just seems too logical.

valvzb
09-22-2005, 06:55 PM
What's logical about waiting another 20 minutes for a bus? That's ridiculous. The problem is that people are so darn selfish and lazy. I'd be embarrassed if my husband didn't offer to give up his seat to someone. I'd be embarrassed to sit while other people more needy than myself stood. But I guess that's not logical but caring and unselfish.

taximomfor4
09-22-2005, 07:04 PM
What's logical about waiting another 20 minutes for a bus? That's ridiculous. The problem is that people are so darn selfish and lazy. I'd be embarrassed if my husband didn't offer to give up his seat to someone. I'd be embarrassed to sit while other people more needy than myself stood. But I guess that's not logical but caring and unselfish.

In my own personal family situation, where 4 out of 6 must sit, NOT stand, waiting 20 minutes for the next bus is actually quite logical. And safer for us. It is not being selfish, or lazy, that makes us choose to wait. It is considering what is safest for OUR kids. We tried it the other way... and picked up the 7yo off the floor 2x on one drive, while holding onto the youngest and a grab bar. I didn't get mad at the people sitting in the seats, I just determined then and there that from then on, we would not get onto SRO buses...we would sit on our beach towels in the bus line and wait for the next bus while sipping bottled water. And when we got on the next bus we would get to sit. Sometimes DH and oldest dd gave up their seats if someone was obviously more in need of it.

cnaumann
09-22-2005, 07:38 PM
I would offer my bus seat to any kid under about 6, any person old enough to be my parent, any person that is obviously having trouble standing, and any female (even the ugly ones.) In other words, if the bus is full, I usually stand.

There is no way I would ever consider giving up a seat for a 16 year old male, even if he was a little on the short side.

I question the wisdom hauling a family of special needs kids on a crowded bus,unless there is absolutely no other transporation available. (How do your non-standing kids manage the queues in the park?) Yes, I am probably one of the ones giving you dirty looks. You have no right to judge me for judging you.

TDC Nala
09-22-2005, 08:00 PM
I agree with older and physically challenged (sometimes you can't tell about mentally), carrying children, etc but I can't say I've ever considered giving up a seat to someone because they're short.

and any female (even the ugly ones.)

Hooray! Somebody who'll offer ME a seat!

DebbieB
09-22-2005, 08:04 PM
That's why I rent a car. I can't stand crowded busses. Love to get in the car, turn up the AC, turn on the radio, and off we go!

Kimmielee
09-22-2005, 08:24 PM
That's why I rent a car. I can't stand crowded busses. Love to get in the car, turn up the AC, turn on the radio, and off we go!

Isn't parking a nightmare? :confused3

DebbieB
09-22-2005, 08:29 PM
Isn't parking a nightmare? :confused3

Never had a problem. Just follow the cm's in the lot and park. Get on the tram or walk to the gate. I don't go during busy times, so maybe it's different then.

graygables
09-22-2005, 08:40 PM
I question the wisdom hauling a family of special needs kids on a crowded bus,unless there is absolutely no other transporation available. (How do your non-standing kids manage the queues in the park?) Yes, I am probably one of the ones giving you dirty looks. You have no right to judge me for judging you.

It *is*, quite frequently, the only mode of transportation, especially with DME. My non-standing kid manages the queues in her "stroller-as-wheelchair" that isn't "officially" a wheelchair, so I still have to fold up the mammoth thing and schlep that onto the bus (dirty looks) while trying to assist my 2 special needs children (sometimes by myself...more dirty looks) and trying to get past people who are so incredibly selfish they can't even begin to see another human being's need. I'll step on your toes and set my stroller on your bag if you're not careful...guess what? You have no right to judge me, either and I'm a verrrrry WISE individual. :rolleyes:

Okiemom
09-22-2005, 10:08 PM
My husband gave his seat up a couple of time for women , especially with very small children. But to expect someone to give it up for a 16 year old son, I don't think is being rude. I would hope my teenagers don't expect adults to give up their seats for them.

goofy4tink
09-23-2005, 05:43 AM
Taking a deep breath and plunging in here........I really don't think there is too much more Disney can do to relieve this issue. If they tried to add more buses, that means more drivers, that means more money, that means higher rates for us. But, if it bothers people too much they will start renting cars and then be tempted to go off property.
Yes, the buses can get full at the end of the park day. We have stood many tmes. If we don't choose to stand, we wait for the next bus. One experience I had....we had waited for our bus back to AllStarMusic for about 25 minutes...it just seemed longer at the time. There were about 30 or so people in front of us and about 20 behind. A bus had just boarded and left. Well, dd and I got on the bus and sat down. This one woman who had gotten to the end of the line just as the bus pulled in, got on the bus but couldn't find a seat and had to stand. Well, she looked at my dd and myself and muttered..."I don't understand why a healthy child should sit and I should stand!" Well then!!! I guess this woman, who had done nothing but complain about the crowds at the park and the 'long' line at the bus stop as she approached the bus stop line, had no way of knowing that my dd was somewhat sick and felt like she was going to 'be sick' at any moment. I just said to her.."I'm sorry but my dd isn't well and needs to sit." Her response? "An older person should get to sit,,,not a child!!! She doesn't look sick to me." This really got my goat, so to speak, and I lost it...I just looked at her and said..."I have been standing in that line for about 40 minutes, you just got here...my dd is ill. There is no way I am giving you her seat!!!! This is not a personal service for you." So, maybe I was a bit rude, but man, she was obnoxious.
I will give up my seat, or have my dd sit on my lap and she is not light..about 95 lbs at 12, to those that are elderly or 'impaired' in some way.

jarestel
09-23-2005, 05:47 AM
What's logical about waiting another 20 minutes for a bus? That's ridiculous. The problem is that people are so darn selfish and lazy.

You need to determine which is more important to your particular situation, sitting or saving time. If you don't want to wait and choose to board an SRO bus hoping someone will give up their seat for you, this may work out sometimes and sometimes it won't. Whether someone should give up a seat or not has very little to do with whether they will give up a seat or not.

Again, not to sound unsympathetic, but if one gets on a standing room only bus, one should probably be expecting to stand. If another passenger gives up a seat, great, but it's not something to be relied upon.

pirateofthecarolinas
09-23-2005, 06:33 AM
When it is standing room only, we always wait on the next bus so that we will have a seat. It is for the safety of our family. :goodvibes So I don't feel sorry for people that cram onto a already crowded bus. It was their own choice to stand and they knew that when they boarded.

My husband has arthritis in his knees and ankles. To look at him you would think that he is perfectly healthy. You can't see all disabilities.

Lori

taximomfor4
09-23-2005, 07:23 AM
I would offer my bus seat to any kid under about 6, any person old enough to be my parent, any person that is obviously having trouble standing, and any female (even the ugly ones.) In other words, if the bus is full, I usually stand.

There is no way I would ever consider giving up a seat for a 16 year old male, even if he was a little on the short side.

Not sure if this was about my special needs dd7, but she CAN stand and walk. Her issues are motor planning and balance, mostly. And anyway, parks have strollers and wheelchairs. There are plenty of ways a special needs kid can do WDW, with careful planning. And what is wrong with her being on the bus? If we get her into a seat, she is fine. We just, one of us, keep an arm nearby for big turns the bus makes, while using the other arm to hold the little one.

Honestly, the dirty looks never bothered me much. Maybe if I were there solo, I would feel bad taking up a seat while people stood. But in my situation, with the people I am with, we need 4 seats for the 6 of us. And that is what we use.

kelscross
09-23-2005, 07:34 AM
Disney may not be able to control those standing vs. sitting, but they can control those that cut in line and enter from the side as the bus is loading instead of going to the back of the line right in front of the bus driver. This happened at MGM's bus stop. There was a line of folks that waited patiently and as the bus arrived a family just walked right up to the bus without waiting in line and got on. Consequently the family at the end of the line had to stand. The bus driver didn't say a word to that family and just let them on.

ducklite
09-23-2005, 07:42 AM
I've heard a lot of reasons that people have an entitlement mentality, but some of the ones listed in this thread take the cake! You are entitled to get on a bus, and take a seat. If no seat is available, you are entitled to stand, or wait for the next bus. Those are the ONLY things you are entitled to.

Disabled, very elderly (and a spry 65 year old who had no problem playing 18 holes earlier in the day is not "elderly" in my book), people with babies, and very young kids (lets say 5 and under) are the only ones who people realistically need to offer seats to. Anyone not fitting those categories has no right to get upset when a seat isn't offered, regardless of age, height, weight, or anything else.

Anne

ducklite
09-23-2005, 07:44 AM
Disney may not be able to control those standing vs. sitting, but they can control those that cut in line and enter from the side as the bus is loading instead of going to the back of the line right in front of the bus driver. This happened at MGM's bus stop. There was a line of folks that waited patiently and as the bus arrived a family just walked right up to the bus without waiting in line and got on. Consequently the family at the end of the line had to stand. The bus driver didn't say a word to that family and just let them on.

That's just wrong. What comes around goes around, and with any luck they ended up stuck on IASW for three hours the next day. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Anne

Simba's Girl
09-23-2005, 07:46 AM
:confused3 To me this is no different than what happens to public transportation in a major city during busy times (ball games/rush hour etc). It happens everywhere, not just at Disney! I'm not shocked at it in the least. Sure it stinks but that's the luck of the draw and another bus would've come...

Heather

clkelley
09-23-2005, 08:47 AM
The simplest solution to avoiding standing on crowded buses is to not even go NEAR the busses during crowded times. We generally stay at All-Stars or Pop Century which are very crowded resorts.

We get on the buses at the crack of dawn in the morning. (Or if we don't make crack of dawn, we hang at the resort till 10:30 or 11:00) Always get a seat.

We take a break in the middle of the day at a resort (usually, a moderate resort for lunch, then relax at the pool bar or near a lake). Always get a seat on the bus then.

At park closing, we STAY IN THE PARK, in a quiet corner with SEATING, a snack, and a drink, and relax practically until security throws us out. Then we wander out the exit to the EMPTY bus area and always get a seat.

We have been almost every month of the year except August, March, and May, and this works every time.

Carol

Tigger_Magic
09-23-2005, 11:09 AM
Carol makes some excellent points. If you choose to stay until park closing, you are going to encounter crowded buses. That's just the way it is.

I mean no disrespect to the OP, but they did not indicate any real disability other than not being tall enough to reach the overhead bar. I doubt I would reach it either, so the very few times I've stood I held on the the back of the seat near me. After a couple of times riding the bus back STANDING, you learn to:

(1) leave early or
(2) wait in the park for the crowds to leave and catch a later bus

I agree with many on here that there are few that are truly entitled to a seat. As with much in life and at Disney, it's a "first come, first served (or seated)" world. If you don't want to stand, wait for the next bus or the one after that.

Or rent a car. That's what we do now. Private transportation, A/C set to freezer status to compensate for the FL heat, kids asleep in the back, a Disney CD playing softly... gotta love it! And even when I leave at park closing, we end up getting back to the resort faster than via Disney bus.

SB in KY
09-23-2005, 11:11 AM
I'm sorry, but unless the OP gave birth to her 16 y/o son at an age that would qualify her for the Guiness book of records....why would she think she was more deserving of a seat than a 30 or 40 someting year old??.... I am no spring chicken anymore, but I do not think 50 something qualifies as so old people should be offering you a seat....everyone is tired, no one wants to stand regardless of age, height, weight or gender and if holding onto a grab bar for 10 minutes makes your 16 year old son's arm sore maybe he could just hold onto a pole!! Jeesh....what does he do on the bus, subway, train, etc at home during rush hour??

We often travel with my 80 something y/o mother and she has NEVER had to stand on a bus....without exception someone has ALWAYS offered her a seat. She is always grateful....but I do not think it is to be expected....it is a generous gift from a stranger....not an entitlement.

As others have said....if you are not comfortable standing on a full bus, have a seat and wait on the next one...we have made several WDW trips with a friend who has 2 special needs children that do not look terribly "different" we try to avoid peak travel times with them, but if we still run into full buses we just have a seat and wait for the next bus where they can be at the front of the line and find a seat....Even though they are nice tall adolescent males I do not think they need to give up their seats to anyone....they cannot balance on moving vehicles

I guess I think if someone wants to offer their seat to someone for whatever reason that is a nice and generous thing to do....but to expect anyone to give up their seat is not fair (especially because you are short and 40 or 50 something!!) you never know what circumstances someone is under (sick, poor balance, special needs that are not visible to observers, arthritis, recent surgeries....the list is endless.

aladdinsgirl
09-23-2005, 11:11 AM
You want someone to give up their seat because you are short?? Are you kidding me?? :confused3 I'm short too--5'1" and I can't really reach the bars either, but I stand and I make the best of the situation (usually hanging on to DH :teeth: ). Why? Because I'm perfectly healthy and there's nothing stopping me from standing for a 10-20 minute drive back. Maybe you need to look into renting a car and driving to the parks for future trips.

Krista princess:

blueeyez
09-23-2005, 01:16 PM
I must be the minority here. Every bus we rode on was full. There were many people standing. Everyone that I noticed were very nice about giving up their seats. DD10 thought it was so cool that she was able to stand on the bus while it was moving. I was always right next to her so I knew she'd be okay. If I see people sitting down that could be standing, it doesn't really bother me. I just try to tell myself that they must have a really good reason. I try not to think badly of them becuz I don't know their circumstances. I feel good just knowing that my family is good about giving up their seats for others. (Except for DD4, she definetly has to sit!)

michellex2
09-23-2005, 01:55 PM
We often travel with my 80 something y/o mother and she has NEVER had to stand on a bus....without exception someone has ALWAYS offered her a seat.

I, too, have found that people tend to be very kind to those with obvious disabilities. My 84 year old mother, silver haired and tiny, is very clearly frail and impaired. She is ALWAYS offered a seat by someone, in a gracious and friendly way -- but then, it is clear by looking at her that she needs the assistance. She's always grateful and friendly in return and tends to smile at everyone, so that may contribute as well, but I've always been impressed with how kind people are to her -- never fails to restore my faith in people.

Jen D
09-23-2005, 03:44 PM
I'm sorry, but unless the OP gave birth to her 16 y/o son at an age that would qualify her for the Guiness book of records....why would she think she was more deserving of a seat than a 30 or 40 someting year old??.... I am no spring chicken anymore, but I do not think 50 something qualifies as so old people should be offering you a seat....everyone is tired, no one wants to stand regardless of age, height, weight or gender and if holding onto a grab bar for 10 minutes makes your 16 year old son's arm sore maybe he could just hold onto a pole!! Jeesh....what does he do on the bus, subway, train, etc at home during rush hour??

I don't understand why a healthy middle-aged person would expect a seat either. Where I live, offering a seat to a healthy fifty-something woman on public transportation is not something I'd advise... most would assume they are being pegged as feeble and elderly and would probably be offended.

bigbabyblues
09-23-2005, 04:18 PM
Whenever we encountered a bus that we'd have to stand, we just moved to the side and let people go in front of us. The next bus wasn't too long away, and it was much better than standing (we have a 2-yo, a 4-yo, and a stroller).

I'm sorry you had a hard time with the full busses, but it happens that way when so many people are going from the same place to the same place at th esame time, no way around it. As far as expecting someone to give up their seat, it's nice when it happens, but that person wants to sit for the 20-minute ride as much as I do, I don't think it should be expected. I did put my 4-yo on my lap so his seat could be used by someone else if it was SRO, but a lot of people didn't, and that's their choice too. I don't understand why it's not "logical" to wait for the next bus? If you know it will be a problem, leave 20 minutes early just in case.

PlutosFriend
09-23-2005, 04:35 PM

Same for me! I would not enjoy waiting for a bus and then being packed on there. We have never had any parking nightmares. I really thought of using the ME next time and not renting a car, but this thread reminds why I should not do that :teeth:

barbarabee
09-23-2005, 05:22 PM
Okay...my preachy two cents. I am one of those that has a visible disability, and am frequently (not always...which is just fine) offered a seat by more able bodied people. I rarely accept the offer, because I am so grateful that I CAN stand and CAN walk (albeit not too well), that I prefer to do so.

It just takes too much energy and it is such a negative attitude to spend your time on the bus while you stand glaring at people who aren't giving up seats because you THINK they should. Be glad that you are able-bodied enough to stand.

I remember when I was a small child, four years old, and we were at Disneyland. I so wanted to be in a stroller because I was tired and sore, but my father said that as long as I could walk, I would use my own two feet. It took a lot more work and patience on my parent's part to make me walk all day, but I think I am a better person because of it. I don't expect any special priveleges because of my disability. When I get on a SRO bus, I expect to stand. If I am feeling particularly tired, I'll wait for the next bus or take a taxi.

fac
09-23-2005, 05:25 PM

If you know you ahve a hard times reaching and can see that the bus is packed, don't get on, just wait for the next one. Everyone is tired at the end of the night.

I agreed with this. We always rent a car therefore seldom take Disney transportation. On our last trip we had a morning ADR at MK and would go to Epcot after the breakfast, hence I talked DH into taking the bus.

When we returned from Epcot, we have to stand with a 5 and a 7 years old. A man offered his seat to my 7 years old, I thanked him but declined. The way I saw it, if we needed a seat we could have waited for the next bus and it won't be fair for him, in particular he was sitting next to his daughter (about 10), we were tired and so did he. But during the bus trip, I could also see that he wasn't quite comfortable sitting while seeing a 7 years standing and I thought I was rude in turning down the offer.

If I were sitting, I would offer my seat.

4formickey
09-23-2005, 06:05 PM
I drive a bus for a living and somethings that you should remenber.You can not tell if a person has a disabilty just by looking at them. If you need a sit, ask some if they will let you sit down. They may not be aware that you need to sit. You also my find out that they may have a problem.Does it hurt to ask?

ducklite
09-23-2005, 06:54 PM
I drive a bus for a living and somethings that you should remenber.You can not tell if a person has a disabilty just by looking at them. If you need a sit, ask some if they will let you sit down. They may not be aware that you need to sit. You also my find out that they may have a problem.Does it hurt to ask?

If someone asked me if they could have my seat I'd probably look a them like they had three heads. I'm sure it's a cultural thing as I'm a New Yawka (you got a problem with that? ;)) transplanted in FL. But I wouldn't ever, ever ask someone to give up their seat--it's just--weird!

With that said, it might not be a bad idea for them to issue GAC for the buses where people with issues which preclude them from standing on a bus would have a shaded waiting area with benches It would NOT get them on a bus any earlier, but give them a place to safely wait their turn while the rest of their party waited in line. When a bus pulled up that they could get a seat on as their party boarded, they would be able to "cut" into the line from the waiting area.

My opinion is that anyone who was able to spend the whole day in a park is able to wait a few extra minutes for the next bus to arrive if they need a seat.

BTW--I have a host of medical problems which sometimes make it dangerous for me to try to stand on a bus--vertigo which throws off my balance, asthma, and more. When I'm feeling good, I give up my seat. When I'm not, you wouldn't know it by looking at me, but if I were to try to stand, I'd probably keel over into someone's lap. In that case, yes, I'd simply wait for the next bus if it was obvious I wasn't going to get a seat.

Anne

4formickey
09-23-2005, 08:37 PM
like i said just asked, the worst that they could say is no.

valvzb
09-24-2005, 09:34 AM
The point of my original post was to make people aware that shorter people have a harder time standing on the bus, not to give up their seats for my 16 year old son. I was naively thinking that perhaps people would care. My son would never accept it if someone did offer. I don't know if I would accept it either but it would make me feel good about people if someone had offered. I think that people are generally rude, selfish and uncaring. And you can use your logic excuse to justify it that's fine.
Never once when I got on a bus did the bus driver say it was standing room only. So when I realize that there are no seats I'm supposed to gather up my family and delay everyone else's bus ride because I'm uncomfortable standing and need to get off? I don't think so.
And I never glared at any one who didn't give up their seats. The comment by the wife when her husband was going to offer to give up his seat to me, an older woman, not a 16 year old boy, was just obnoxious and was the final straw for me.

DisneyHumbug
09-24-2005, 09:36 AM
Just curious, what do you define as an "older woman"?

4formickey
09-24-2005, 09:52 AM
people are self-centerd these days but some thing that I always wondered about , when a bus pulls up and you see people standing up or folks in the door way, does someone need to tell you that the bus is full? We are told to let the person that wants to ride decide if the bus is too full. There are many days that I cannot open the front door because of the load that I already have on the bus but people are banging and knocking on the door to get on. The only room is on my lap but people still want to board. Some time it is better to leave early and bet the rush so the ride is not as stressful.The best thing any of us can do is leave early, if the bus is full another one will come

ducklite
09-24-2005, 10:34 AM
The point of my original post was to make people aware that shorter people have a harder time standing on the bus, not to give up their seats for my 16 year old son. I was naively thinking that perhaps people would care. My son would never accept it if someone did offer. I don't know if I would accept it either but it would make me feel good about people if someone had offered. I think that people are generally rude, selfish and uncaring. And you can use your logic excuse to justify it that's fine.
Never once when I got on a bus did the bus driver say it was standing room only. So when I realize that there are no seats I'm supposed to gather up my family and delay everyone else's bus ride because I'm uncomfortable standing and need to get off? I don't think so.
And I never glared at any one who didn't give up their seats. The comment by the wife when her husband was going to offer to give up his seat to me, an older woman, not a 16 year old boy, was just obnoxious and was the final straw for me.

I highly doubt you qualify for an AARP card, so you are hardly an older woman. Anyone who isn't visually impaired should be able to judge that there aren't going to be seats on a bus. And no, I wouldn't give up my seat for you. You are able bodied, and should simply find a place to stand that there is something to grab on to. If I were standing and had a low pole to hang on to, I'd have no problem switching, because that's apples for apples. Big difference between that and giving up my seat for you.

I don't consider myself rude, selfish or uncaring because I wouldn't ask you if you wanted to sit. In fact I'd think of you as rude if you asked me to give up my seat for you, which is basically what you did in your first post. :rolleyes:

Unless you have dwarfism, which has other medical aspects than height, you aren't disabled. Give it a rest.

If you don't like the buses, complain to WDW. But don't ask people to give up seats. Perhaps you arm hurts, but maybe someone else's feet hurt because they have bunions. Why should they give you their seat?

Like I said, if you don't want to stand, it's simple. Wait for the next bus. You'll be in the front of the line, and guaranteed to get a seat. I promise, it's not a difficult concept.

Anne

DisMN
09-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Here's another side of the story. I've done the giving up my seat things quite a few times and on several occasions my maneuvering to do so only caused confusion and more fuss than necessary by clogging up the aisle while others were trying to move through it.
More often than not now I'll just stay seated and my DH usually does too unless we see that it's EASY to make the transition with the person you're giving your seat to.

I also think people are way too judgemental when it comes to seats on the busses. You have no idea who needs to sit...and if it's important that YOU sit, then wait for the next bus. Frustrating to wait yes, but waiting is not that big a deal IMHO. Waiting happens, it's part of life for heaven sakes. LOL

luvindisneyworld
09-24-2005, 11:25 AM
What's logical about waiting another 20 minutes for a bus? That's ridiculous. The problem is that people are so darn selfish and lazy. I'd be embarrassed if my husband didn't offer to give up his seat to someone. I'd be embarrassed to sit while other people more needy than myself stood. But I guess that's not logical but caring and unselfish.What I find selfish and ridiculous is that you expect people to give up their seats to you.
We will always offer our seats to disabled elderly and people with kids or just the kids.
Other than that you are on your own,if you dont want to wait on another bus or stand.We have stood many,many times and I dont feel that you are any better than I am.I will Definetly give up my seat,just not to able bodied people.I am pretty short myself but I can see if a bus is going to be standing room only and i can choose whether I want to stand or wait.

You know it is going to be busy at Disney,so that is something you have to expect.

Misty

DisneyMommyMichelle
09-24-2005, 11:34 AM
i am verry short, tiny even, and last year i stood more than i sat. Do i care? No, why? because you don't have to STRAIN to reach the bar up top (i am NO WHERE NEAR reaching that! hah) I just hold onto a seat back or a pole or something like that. One night my back was killing me (recently broke my tailbone) and we got on the bus and realized that it was too crowded so YES we did get off the bus, it's not like it took us 30minutes?!!? NO ONEs ride was delayed because of us???! And we just waited until the next bus. No big deal! they have icecream and soda machines to keep us occupied :)

Reese
09-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Just got finished reading this thread. Now I'm concerned. When we go I'll be seven months pregnant have a stroller for my ds (20 months) and we'll also have a 5, 6, 8 and 13 year old. Are the busses always this busy. I think I'll use the strategies of leave early in the morning but I know the we'll want to stay for some of the shows, they go to close don't they? Would it be better to maybe get a cab back to ASMo on these nights? We're going the beginning of Feb so I'm hoping this won't be an issue but I'de like to be prepared KWIM.

ducklite
09-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Just got finished reading this thread. Now I'm concerned. When we go I'll be seven months pregnant have a stroller for my ds (20 months) and we'll also have a 5, 6, 8 and 13 year old. Are the busses always this busy. I think I'll use the strategies of leave early in the morning but I know the we'll want to stay for some of the shows, they go to close don't they? Would it be better to maybe get a cab back to ASMo on these nights? We're going the beginning of Feb so I'm hoping this won't be an issue but I'de like to be prepared KWIM.

You should have no problem getting a seat for yourself, the baby on your lap, and the two youngest kids, No reason the other two can't stand. I think most people are considerate enough to help out people who truly need help, although not people just wanting to have a pity party for themselves.

You do always have the option of letting others on ahead of you, and waiting for the next bus. The key is to leave before you are ready to drop from exhaustion. Half an hour to an hour before park closing the buses are seldom crowded.

Anne

Reese
09-24-2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks. I was really only concerned with the younger three kids. There is no way the eight year old is going to sit if there is a chance she can stand :teeth:.
Are the buses generally empty when they first arrive? Or do they make multiple resort stops?

TDC Nala
09-24-2005, 02:19 PM
AS Movies sometimes shares buses with Music and Sports and sometimes has a bus to itself.

BibbidyBobbidyBoo
09-24-2005, 02:28 PM

Personally speaking, I'll give my seat to a young child, parent with a baby, disabled, or elderly person. I will not give my seat to an able bodied person regardless of how tall, short, fat, skinny, or whatever they are. Why? Because if I gave up my seat every time someone else thought they should get it, I'd never get to sit.

I practice what I preach, and have waited for the next bus a few times when I could tell I wouldn't be able to sit.

Anne

Ditto. We always waited for another bus if we didn't ATLEAST have enough seats for one of us to sit with our youngest on our lap- because there's no way she could stand and keep herself erect... many times she wouldn't have had anything to even hold on to besides US (depending on where we'd end up on the bus when they make you move/smoosh forward. One time we were going to attempt to stand but stopped short of the back of the bus so she'd have the bar to hold on to- the bus driver kept saying move forward and we asked him to open the back door and let us off- there was no way we were going to be able to travel in that back part with everyone's seats facing us without a thing for our 36" tall child to hold on to!).

However, I also must mention that you can't possibly know "perfectly healthy" from the outside. I'm sure to others you (OP) appeared perfectly healthy also. They can't SEE that your knees or other body parts are injured and/or hurting. If you saw ME sitting you might think I'm perfectly healthy but I also have a back and knee injury that doing so would hurt. Yes, I've done so (stood and held on) but if I have a seat I'm not going to give it up for someone who appears perfectly healthy just because they think I'M perfectly healthy when it would hurt ME to stand up the same! I'm 5'2 with invisible disibilities also!

I have in the past made DH pass me the baby and stand up to let a pregnant woman, young child or older person have a seat... but I probably wouldn't give up MY seat for a short 16yr old.... or for another short adult without visible disabilities.

Plus- you know what? You have no idea how many buses that person (seated) waited through to finally have a SEAT instead of standing. They could have waited thru bus after bus that was standing room only so they could have that seat- but they are supposed to give it up to you because you are short and wanted to get on the first bus because waiting 20min is ridiculous to you? Don't think so..... :rolleyes:

SB in KY
09-24-2005, 02:43 PM
As a last aside to the OP....I guess I would wonder why you assume people are rude because they do not offer you a seat yet you never consider why they might need a seat as much/more than you....if you want to go through life assuming people are rude and uncaring go for it....but it is a pretty sad assumption to make.

You might get more offers if you were not assuming everyone else on the bus was a jerk!!

I have had some pretty entertaining bus rides at WDW when to buses were packed and people kept their sense of humor...lots of humorous comments, lame jokes, etc....everyone got off with a smile and a sense of comraderie....choose to assume the worst of you wish....it is liable to be a self-fullfilling prophecy.

BibbidyBobbidyBoo
09-24-2005, 02:44 PM
In my own personal family situation, where 4 out of 6 must sit, NOT stand, waiting 20 minutes for the next bus is actually quite logical. And safer for us. It is not being selfish, or lazy, that makes us choose to wait. It is considering what is safest for OUR kids. We tried it the other way... and picked up the 7yo off the floor 2x on one drive, while holding onto the youngest and a grab bar. I didn't get mad at the people sitting in the seats, I just determined then and there that from then on, we would not get onto SRO buses...we would sit on our beach towels in the bus line and wait for the next bus while sipping bottled water. And when we got on the next bus we would get to sit. Sometimes DH and oldest dd gave up their seats if someone was obviously more in need of it.

*clap clap*
Problem is -that after you did that... you'd STILL have people getting on the bus standing room only that would be thinking you should get up and let them have your seat! You can't win for losing with some people...

taximomfor4
09-24-2005, 03:05 PM
*clap clap*
Problem is -that after you did that... you'd STILL have people getting on the bus standing room only that would be thinking you should get up and let them have your seat! You can't win for losing with some people...

We take the glares in stride, really. The nastiest comments we pretend not to overhear are about why our younger kids are in seats, not on our laps. Well, I have tough skin. Through trial and error, we learned the best, safest way to transport our kids on the WDW buses and we stick to it now. People can THINK they know about us, but it is only assumptions. And we all know what is said about ASSUMING, the first three letters says it all. Doesn't hurt me, cause me pain, or undue stress when people glare and complain behind their hands at us. We are doing the best we can to enjoy our vacation while still minding what is best for OUR kids.

Then, of course, there is the old standby (which for some reason has not yet shown up on this current bus-complaint thread): That everyone has tickets, and is thus given the right to use WDW transportation... no guarantee they will sit, and EVERYONE has that same right. Does it mean that manners and courtesy go out the window? I hope not. But every frail, elderly person I saw on the bus got offered a seat. Everyone with a cast on the leg was offered a seat. Everyone holding a sleeping baby was offered a seat. Every very young child I saw was offered a seat. Every very pregnant woman I saw was offered a seat. I think that about covers the bases of common courtesy.

Vickie46
09-24-2005, 03:42 PM
this is really crazy! If you don't want to stand wait for the next bus... man.. this can really spoil the Disney magic... just stay home!

Hope not to offend anyone but just wait for the next bus.... I have a child and that is what we do.. if we have to stand.. we would have.. if it was me and my husband.. with children.. its much harder! Sorry.. but it is.. especially if you have the strollers etc............ everyone wants to get back to their room as much as the next one....

Wait for an empty bus..

skiwee1
09-24-2005, 07:10 PM

I'm 5'3" so that puts me in the short category. I've never had any problems standing on a bus. I don't know why a short person would have a problem. As far as standing, I travel with my 68 y/o mom who has had double knee surgeries and now needs total replacement. She is always in pain. When we approach the bus I ask if the driver if there are any seats left. If he says no then we don't get on the bus! I would never get on hoping that someone will give up their seat. They have just as much right as anyone else to sit. My mom has no more right for a seat because of her knees then someone does that is exhausted from doing the parks all day long. Everyone is EQUAL and has CHOICES they can make. We have waited for many, many buses over the years to get a seat because my mom needs to sit. No balancing for her. This trip I am getting her an ECV so that she pretty much is guarranteed a seat on the bus this time. If you need a seat then wait for a bus that has them available.

heathriel
09-24-2005, 07:41 PM
I'm 5'4" and suffer from vertigo. I'm a 28 year old, othwise healthy looking female. I have never once taken a seat on a Disney bus if I knew it would be full, even though I have to hold on to the back of the seats and I end up ill by the time I reach my destination. After I get there I walk or sit down for a few minutes and "shake it off." My logic is, there is nothing within the walking distance it will take me to feel better that I care about from any of the bus stops, so I can deal with it.

I've waited an hour for a bus in the past (which is why I'll never stay at a Value again) so I tend not to want to wait for the next bus. I'll just deal with getting sick as long as nothing is wrong with my ankles.

WillCAD
09-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Bus, bus, bus...

Almost everybody in this thread is complaining, either that A) Rude people won't give me a seat even though I think I deserve it more than they do, or B) Rude people expect me to give up my seat even though I think I deserve it more than they do.

I counted two or three people who said, "That's why I rent a car!" You can add me to that list - I rent partly because I despise having to stand up on a bus full of sweaty, smelly, loud, exhausted people, some of whom will elbow me in the ribs just as soon as look at me.

But I haven't noticed anybody actually recommending to others that they rent a car, so I'll do it: If you believe that you should never be forced to stand on a bus, whether because of age, innfirmaty, height, weight, gender, pregnancy, exhaustion, or how long you had to wait to get on the bus, why not avoid the whole question entirely and rent a car?

A rental car in Orlando will cost, on average, between $100 and $250, depending on car size. Vans and larger vehicles, of course, will cost more.

I understand that money is an issue for some. It is ALWAYS an issue for me - I simply plan ahead and save up longer so I can afford to rent a car. I'm poor and my budget is very limited, but the extra $150 or so for a small car is simply part of my budget.

I understand that some folks are uncomfortable driving in a strange town. I get lost in unfamiliar streets every time I go someplace I haven't been before. But I get a good map, take my time, and drive carefully, because I'm less uncomfortable driving in a strange city than I am standing on a bus.

I understand that some people feel that driving is a "hassle" when on vacation and that being driven around on a bus is a part of the WDW experience. Well, that decision brings with it the very real possibility that you might have to stand up on the busses.

My point in all this is that using the busses is a choice for most people (i.e. anybody with a drivers license). If you make that choice, you must live with the consequenses, once of which is that you will be forced to stand up at least some of the time.

Rent, or ride. If you choose to rent, accept the consequenses - your trip will cost more. If you choose to ride, accept the consequenses - you will have to stand on busses.

I made my choice and I'm not complaining about it.

crisi
09-25-2005, 07:48 AM
We don't like to drive on vacation.

But when we don't want to deal with the downsides of buses - too tired to stand, too rushed to wait, anytime the buses will be so crowed that getting a seat means being nose pressed against someone's midsection....we take a cab. $15 gets you anywhere on property. We take few enough cabs that we break even on any rental my husband would agree to (he will not drive a subcompact car - we end up midsize). Back when we paid Tiffany or someone to take us to Disney, it was a little more financially, but more than break even in time and stress. Now with ME, its cheaper than renting a car.

skiwee1
09-25-2005, 08:20 AM
We also take a cab quite a bit. It's great to be able to hop in one and go back to the resort quickly or to another resort. We take about 5-6 times each trip.

heathriel
09-25-2005, 08:54 AM
Well, we rent a car to drive to and from the airport, then park it at the hotel for the whole trip. Why? We go for the food and wine festival. It is incredibly dangerous to drive when one has alcohol in their system, in any quantity, at least that is what I was taught.

And now with Magical Express, we don't have to pay the $150 for the car we only use for 45 minutes, so, yay!

Kimmielee
09-25-2005, 10:06 AM
My strategy with the bus situation.... (waiting and the possibility of it being crowded) is to leave EARLY (in the morning and before the park closes)...

The rest of it is "small stuff". I used the waiting as a lesson of "patience". I used word recognition with my then 4 year old DS who was able to figure out which bus we were waiting for by day 2 :Pinkbounc

I don't rent a car, since it's just DS and I... we have Tiffany's pick us up... (they wait in the baggage area with a sign that has Mickey Mouse on it welcoming Mr. Noah ****) and his magical vacation has started!! :earboy2: So, we do rely on the bus, the boat (we LOVE POFQ because of the boat to DTD) and our feet to get around! :moped:

The last thing I try to do is show him MY frustration (I'm human, it happens) and to answer his questions honestly when he witnesses less than magical behaviour. :wizard:

I think it's so important that we LIVE by example for our children and REMEMBER that WDW is a magical place that is populated by many impressionable children! :grouphug:

WillCAD
09-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Well, we rent a car to drive to and from the airport, then park it at the hotel for the whole trip. Why? We go for the food and wine festival. It is incredibly dangerous to drive when one has alcohol in their system, in any quantity, at least that is what I was taught.

And now with Magical Express, we don't have to pay the $150 for the car we only use for 45 minutes, so, yay!

I agree 100%! I never have a drink if I have driven myself anywhere. When I go to Pleasure Island, I always take the bus, even though I hate it, because I know it is possible that I might want to have a drink while I'm there (I like the Kungalush). If I drive myself to PI, I refrain from drinking entirely.

TDC Nala
09-25-2005, 10:36 AM

That's how I feel about PI, too, but for some reason I've never had to stand on a bus from PI.

I've had to listen to drunk people singing and try to sit away from the PDA couples, but getting a seat on the bus isn't a problem.

The biggest trick to the bus thing is allowing enough time to get somewhere for a deadline. If I'm running way too late I'll take a cab. Car rentals are stinkin expensive and I usually go to PI or have a drink with dinner, so I'm not driving them much anyway.

crisi
09-25-2005, 11:59 AM
Thats another reason we do a lot of cabs. I won't drive even after one glass of wine - and if we have dinner anyplace except the MK, we'd be taking a cab back to the hotel, since I almost always have some sort of relaxing adult beverage out at WDW.