PDA

View Full Version : DisneyLAND marathon 2006

NancyK
09-12-2005, 07:45 PM
Did any of you get the email from Disney about the 1/2 marathon at Disneyland next September? I bet some of you will be involved in that one. Sounds exciting!

TXBelle
09-12-2005, 07:52 PM
I got it! I will definitely be registering for that one! :cool1:

solotraveler
09-12-2005, 08:06 PM
I got it too... seriously considering it. But I don't know what my work schedule will be for that time period yet :confused3

Solotraveler :earsboy:

Rachael Q
09-12-2005, 09:51 PM
I'm in!

A girlfriend and I are planning on the Disney World Marathon in 2008, and I already told her we need to do a half in late 2006, another is early 2007 and another in October 2007, so this is perfect timing!

Anyone else?

AprilN
09-12-2005, 10:02 PM
I'm definitely seriously considering it - I would LOVE to run it, but it's hard to plan my schedule that far in advance. Fortunately, Anaheim is just a quick 6-hour drive (or 1-hour flight) away, so I may be able to squeeze it in as a quick weekend trip - but that doesn't leave a lot of time in the parks. I'm going to put it on my calendar, though! Time to start training, whether for the DL half or another one...

I just realized that I didn't get the announcement email - do you know where I can go to sign up? Also, is there an official date for the race, or is that still in the works? I poked around the web a bit, but couldn't find anything. Actually, if someone could post the text of the email from Disney about the race, that would be awesome! Thanks in advance! :teeth:

TEK224
09-12-2005, 11:38 PM
It seems anymore I try to plan my trips around different races. :)

Terri

TiffJ
09-13-2005, 06:57 AM
I would love to do it. I have never been to California so it would be very cool! Maybe I can talk DH into it. April-here is the text from the email.

Dear Tiffany,

We have some exciting news to share with you about a brand new Disney running experience that you're going to want to be a part of. And as a past participant of the Walt Disney World« Marathon Weekend, we're telling you before the rest of the world finds out.

Today it's our great pleasure to introduce to you the Inaugural Disneyland« Half Marathon Weekend - September 15-17, 2006 - the Happiest Race on Earth! After 12 years of marathoning at Walt Disney World« Resort, we decided it was time to take this show on the road.the streets of Disneyland« Resort and Anaheim, California to be exact.

You'll find out lots of important information about the race weekend when you visit our new web site, www.disneylandhalfmarathon.com, which we're guessing you're going to do right away because you already can't wait to register to be part of the inaugural year of this event. But when you get to the site you'll see that registration will not open to the public until October 15, 2005. What you won't see, however, is something that will be very important to you. We are going to give you, as a past Walt Disney World« Marathon Weekend participant, a limited period of time to register for the Disneyland« Half Marathon before registration is available to the general public. This race, like many nowadays, is going to have a capacity limit, and we expect it to fill up before race day. So this early registration window is your chance to make sure you get in.

How do you take advantage of early registration? On October 1, we are going to send you another e-mail with a secret link that will direct you to register on-line. It will be that simple. Here's another tip: The best hotel rates for this event are probably going to go quickly as well, so if you know you're going to register on October 1, you can go ahead and start making your travel reservations now by calling the Disneyland Sports Travel team at 877-814-3528. And just like at the Walt Disney World« Marathon, be sure to plan some extra time in your trip to visit the Disneyland« theme parks. If you've never been, you're in for a real treat, especially since our race weekend coincides with the final phase of Disneyland's 50th Anniversary celebration - the Happiest Homecoming on Earth!

This is a lot of information, we know, so please check out the web site and you'll get a better feel for what we have in store for you, including a cool new finisher medal! (We know how everyone loves a new medal.) And then when October 1 rolls around, you'll probably want to act quickly, as it's anybody's guess as to how soon this race might sell out!

That's enough rambling for now. It's just that we've been working on this for many months, and we're so excited to finally share the news with you! We'll be in touch again on October 1.

AprilN
09-13-2005, 10:58 AM
Thank you SOOO much, Tiffany! I really want to do this race now!

(And if that "early registration" link happened to get posted on October 1, it would be our little secret... ;) )

maryliz
09-13-2005, 11:44 AM
It does sound like fun, doesn't it !!! :banana: :banana: :banana: Maybe someone from California can answer ... September in CA -- sounds kind of hot and humid to me ??? :confused3 I know that Florida in January can be hot, but certainly nothing like Florida in August. How does CA compare?

OK NancyK, you started it ... let me know if we're going! 'Cause of course, if YOU'RE doing it, then I really have NO CHOICE but to do it to ! I'd suffer too much from "medal envy" if you had one and I didn't!

How cool would it be to participate in the inaugural event. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

And since me, and the 14 lbs I've gained back since January have been totally away from WISH for a long time, here's a big :wave2: to all of my WISH friends from the 2005 Half! And to those of you training for the Half or Full for 2006, keep up the great work! It's an incredible experience that will stay with you for a lifetime!

Mary-Liz

AprilN
09-13-2005, 12:04 PM
Actually, September in SoCal can be quite pleasant: highs in the upper 70's/low 80's, lows around 60, and the humidity is reasonable (not really humid-feeling). There can be the occasional "Indian Summer" heat wave, but otherwise, the weather should be gorgeous at that time of year. Also, the race starts at 6:00 AM, so if anything, it might be a little cold!

As an example, here's the forecast for Anaheim (http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=anaheim%2C+ca) from Wunderground for this weekend (the race is the same time next year) - the weather looks perfect!

Wow, it would be great to have a WISH contingent at the DL half! Hopefully I'll be there...

maryliz
09-13-2005, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the info, April ! Sounds a lot like Florida was this past Jan.

Mary-Liz

geetey
09-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Hey WISHers! I got the same email and am contemplating making the journey to DL. I have never been so this is a great excuse. ;) Too bad the projected weather isn't a little cooler - I would prefer 50s. Less heat works better for me!

Greetings to all of the 05 WISH Walkers, especially Team Canada! How's Susan doing?

MelanieC
09-13-2005, 01:31 PM
That sounds like fun. I'm from Vegas so I spent my summers as a kid at DL. That would be very very cool!

lap3
09-13-2005, 01:32 PM
We really don't have a lot, if any, humidity in So Cal. I did the LA Triathlon last year and it was blazing hot! Fast forward to this year, and I did the same triathlon last Sunday and it was cool and overcast. Temp wise, it'll be comfortable but I don't think you would need to worry about humidity. I'm thinking of doing this race as well. It sounds like we need to start a dedicated thread for this marathon AND organize a DIS meet before the race! Any volunteers?

NancyK
09-13-2005, 03:57 PM
Greetings to all of the 05 WISH Walkers, especially Team Canada! How's Susan doing?

Hi Terry,
Thanks for asking. Susan is still undergoing chemo and has been since March. She's had many good days this summer. She has scheduled her next couple of chemo treatments around their trip to Disney World next month (it was planned over a year ago). She's very tired, but looking forward to time with her family (and Mary-Liz's family) in her favorite place in the world.
Nancy

geetey
09-13-2005, 05:41 PM
Hi Terry,
Thanks for asking. Susan is still undergoing chemo and has been since March. She's had many good days this summer. She has scheduled her next couple of chemo treatments around their trip to Disney World next month (it was planned over a year ago). She's very tired, but looking forward to time with her family (and Mary-Liz's family) in her favorite place in the world.
Nancy

Ooo, fun! A trip!! I know she will be able to wog her way around WDW - it's filled with PD! Please pass it on that I am still thinking about her and praying for her! :cheer2:

Rachael Q
09-14-2005, 10:38 PM
Mary-Liz and Nancy,

Please pass on my best wishes to Susan, I have been thinking of her and sending pixie dust.

I think we should get Team Canada going again for DL 2006!

Rachael

NancyK
09-15-2005, 05:20 AM
Mary-Liz and Nancy,

Please pass on my best wishes to Susan, I have been thinking of her and sending pixie dust.

I think we should get Team Canada going again for DL 2006!

Rachael

Thanks Rachael. If Super 7 comes in - we'll be there! ;)

maryliz
09-15-2005, 09:13 AM
Thanks Rachael. If Super 7 comes in - we'll be there! ;)

Or if DH has a "moment" where he forgets about how much it would cost me to fly :teeth: Rachael, you might have to be the Team Canada sole representative ... but we'll be with you every step of the way! ::yes::

Mary-Liz

Rachael Q
09-15-2005, 09:54 PM
I participated in the 60km weekend to end breast cancer in August.

On the Saturday we walked 35km and on Sunday we walked 25m....I was walking with my friend, and I kept looking at my watch thinking...we need to pick up the pace or we will get swept!!!!!

And we didn't have a time limit!

Mary-Liz, lets hope your DH has a moment or two.

Rachael

AprilN
09-30-2005, 09:53 AM
So, those emails with the "secret" link to a site for early registration for the DL half marathon are supposed to come out tomorrow... anyone willing to post the URL to this thread when they get it? I wouldn't want to break any rules, but bending them a little might be all right. ;)

Otherwise, I'll definitely be on the registration site bright and early on October 15th for the regular registration - I've decided I'm going to do it, hopefully running the entire thing! Thank goodness I have a year to train... :p

keenercam
09-30-2005, 03:25 PM
I think I have talked DH into registering for this, and then we'll just hope that our work schedules permit us to make the trip. I'd love to say that after walking/finishing the 2006 WDW 1/2, that my goal would be to jog the Disneyland 1/2, but I will hold off on any grand gestures yet! ;)

xterratri
10-01-2005, 03:02 PM
Whine- I don't like this thread!!!

Okay, my dilemma is that the race falls 1 week after Ironman Wisconsin(marathon with a 2.4 mile swim/112 mile bike warm up) AND after I start clinical rotations. It's probably bad enough that I'm signed up to do an Ironman during my first clinical block, but now I'm trying to figure out how to do the DL Half too? The only way I could do it is if I take my elective block the first block but then I couldn't use that elective block to do a showcase rotation at a hospital I might want to go to for residency. See, I shouldn't even be considering it at all.

Team Canada-ON reps, glad to hear about Susan doing OK. I hadn't seen an update in while and had wondered. Have a good time at the World.

AprilN
10-02-2005, 09:46 PM
I'm registered! Thanks to a lovely DISer :goodvibes who shared the "early" link with me, I'm actually officially crazy enough to run 13.1 miles in Anaheim next September... and suddenly nervous. :upsidedow

So, who's going to be joining me? Only 11.5 months to go... :teeth:

lap3
10-03-2005, 12:15 PM
Whine- I don't like this thread!!!

Okay, my dilemma is that the race falls 1 week after Ironman Wisconsin(marathon with a 2.4 mile swim/112 mile bike warm up) AND after I start clinical rotations. It's probably bad enough that I'm signed up to do an Ironman during my first clinical block, but now I'm trying to figure out how to do the DL Half too? The only way I could do it is if I take my elective block the first block but then I couldn't use that elective block to do a showcase rotation at a hospital I might want to go to for residency. See, I shouldn't even be considering it at all.

Decisions, decisions...looks like you've got some tough choices here. Maybe you should consider doing your residency out here at CHOC! :rolleyes1 It's a stones throw away from DL!

I'm considering doing the LA Tri next year which is also in September. Boy, I hope those dates don't conflict!

TXBelle
10-03-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm registered! I could not resist a shot at another Disney medal. ;) The half should be a good warm-up to my first attempt at a full marathon at WDW in January 2007!

Come on Team Canada! We need you! :cheer2:

karebear1
10-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Any of you original WISH walkers (or anyone else) interested in doing the 10K next October in WDW???

I MISS YOU ALL!

geetey
10-03-2005, 08:00 PM
Hi Karen!
I think the temps would be too high for me to do a 10K in October, but if the medal is cool enough............

Are we crazy to even consider doing this again?!?!?!?

karebear1
10-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Hi Karen!
I think the temps would be too high for me to do a 10K in October, but if the medal is cool enough............

Are we crazy to even consider doing this again?!?!?!?

ABSOLUTELY... especially because it IS warmer in October. But early mornigns aren't bad- and it's onjly about 5 miles- I think we can do it Geetey! Come on..... let's so this! I'll bet Team Canada would join us!?!?!?!?

geetey
10-03-2005, 08:08 PM
Show me the medal! Make me want it! :rotfl2:

karebear1
10-03-2005, 09:02 PM
I don't think there is a medal?!?!?!:( Does anyone know?

Lisa loves Pooh
10-04-2005, 07:11 AM
NO WAY!!!

That is awesome!!!

Registration opens October 15th....hmmm, something to train for so I won't have post marathon let down after Disney. :)

Lisa loves Pooh
10-04-2005, 07:13 AM
Okay--where's the super secret early link???

And there is a medal--a castle one:

Commemorative Inaugural Disneyland« Half Marathon Castle Finisher Medal

sorry, no picture :(

karebear1
10-04-2005, 09:14 AM
The castle emdal is for the 10K???

AprilN
10-04-2005, 10:14 AM
The castle emdal is for the 10K???No, I believe the Caste medal that Lisa mentioned is for the Disneyland Half. According to the event info page (http://disneyworldsports.disney.go.com/dwws/en_US/endurance/events/detail?name=Endurance10kClassic2005EventInfoEventD etailPage) for Disney's Race for the Taste 10K (taking place this Sunday 10/9), registration includes a "commemorative gift", but doesn't specifically mention a medal. Too bad - but it still sounds like a fun race. Too bad FL is a bit of a jaunt from CA just for a 10K, or I would totally be there. ;)

maryliz
10-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Both FL and CA are "a bit of a jaunt" for me ... but I'd love to do both! I keep hoping for those lotto numbers to come up! This would be a great time in my life to be independantly wealthy! :rotfl2:

Trust me ... Team Canada really, really wants to be there!!!

MaryLiz

geetey
10-04-2005, 12:43 PM
Holy cow! Are you kidding me?!? A CASTLE medal??? Now I have to sign up!! How can I pass up a CASTLE medal?

Forget that 10K, Karen, let's go for the Castle Medal! Isn't DL closer for you?

crzy4pooh
10-04-2005, 01:31 PM
No, I believe the Caste medal that Lisa mentioned is for the Disneyland Half. According to the event info page (http://disneyworldsports.disney.go.com/dwws/en_US/endurance/events/detail?name=Endurance10kClassic2005EventInfoEventD etailPage) for Disney's Race for the Taste 10K (taking place this Sunday 10/9), registration includes a "commemorative gift", but doesn't specifically mention a medal. Too bad - but it still sounds like a fun race. Too bad FL is a bit of a jaunt from CA just for a 10K, or I would totally be there. ;)

DH and I are doing the 10K this weekend. It was funny when we signed up that it didn't ask for a shirt size. We went over for the traithlon expo last weekend, and talked to the Disney rep at their table. I asked them about it, and she kind of back-tracked a bit, then said we were getting a "surprise" and that we would really like it. :confused3 Anyway, we saw the medals - they are gold, silver, and bronze, with "Disney 10K Race for the Taste", so we are assuming not everyone gets a medal. I'm sooooo curious about the surprise, though!!! :banana: I'll let you all know!!!

DL half would be absolutely amazing!!!! I grew up next to WDW, but never imagined I would ever get to go to DL... We'll see.... ;)

Lisa loves Pooh
10-04-2005, 01:49 PM
Sorry for the confusion Karen..I had skimmed the thread and didn't know you were asking about a medal for the 10K.

littlegreydonkey
10-04-2005, 03:02 PM
I've registered - there's no way I was missing an inaugural (sp?) Disney race, or a castle medal. All I've got to do now is work out how to fit it in. I go back to England for a month in August, and LA is halfway between here and there, but do I arrive two days before and hope the flight etc don't muck me up for the race, or do I fly in a week before, and home the day after and hope I can deal with 12 hours on a plane with half marathon legs. Oh the choices we have to make.....Helen

karebear1
10-04-2005, 06:28 PM
OK- so.... now that LGD has made a GOOD point about an inaugural race.... maybe we should think about that half! When is it exactly?

Lisa- no problemo!

Crazy4pooh- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us know what it is that you get!

Geetey- I am now considering the half at DL- I need more detail first! I don't want to make an emotional decision based on a CASTLE medal! :) :) :) :) AND yes, for now.... DL is closer to me- but by the time this half comes up we may be living back in the midwest. We definetly will not be living here in Oregon though.

MaryLiz- WE can all room share and split food! that'll make it cost less..... right?!?!?! What do you prefer- the 10K or the half?

I got the super secret email about the DL half, but I trashed it because when I got it I had no interest..... so, can someone please pm the info to me?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh- I'm getting that ol' feeling back again! YES!

chimera
10-04-2005, 06:58 PM
I've registered - there's no way I was missing an inaugural (sp?) Disney race, or a castle medal. All I've got to do now is work out how to fit it in. I go back to England for a month in August, and LA is halfway between here and there, but do I arrive two days before and hope the flight etc don't muck me up for the race, or do I fly in a week before, and home the day after and hope I can deal with 12 hours on a plane with half marathon legs. Oh the choices we have to make.....Helen

Helen, would you be interested in adopting me? :teeth:

Lisa loves Pooh
10-05-2005, 06:43 AM
Karen--it is Sunday, September 17th. 13.1 miles, 16 minute per mile pacing requirement. You run from California Adventure to Disneyland then out to a baseball stadium and back (supposedly along a river somewhere) and then back to California Adventure.

Someone posted the e-mail on page 1 or 2 of this thread and there is a link to the website.

karebear1
10-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Thanks Lisa

perfectmatch300
10-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Interesting! We plan to be in DL around that time anyway to celebrate our 6th anniversary of our DL wedding! We were actually supposed to go this year, but with closing on our house and Barry's DD's wedding in CT coming up, this year just wasn'rt working for us. Now I see that may be a good thing! 2006, here we come!

As for the weather, the only time I have ever been in CA was for our wedding, Sept 12, 2000. All I can tell you is that for that specific week it was HOT!!!!! I'm talking in the high 90║ range. I look like I was about to pass out in all the wedding pics from the heat. Hopefully that is not normal for that time.

I would absolutely love to rtegister for this. I only have 2 concerns. First is the pacing requirement. I have not yet been able to get below a 16 min mile and I really do not want to be swept. Call it an ego thing if you will, but I'm afraid being swept would destroy any desire I have to keep training. Second, DH thinks I am absolutely crazy for even thinking about it. He may be right, but that's never stopped me before! :banana: So I guess I have to get into trip planning mode and think about how this will fit into our trip plans. We do want to be in DL for our anniversary on the 12th, so I will see if I can make it work. I'd really love to make the commitment to join you guys in this! :cheer2:

AprilN
10-05-2005, 10:11 AM
Karen--it is Sunday, September 18th. 13.1 miles, 16 minute per mile pacing requirement.I just wanted to make a slight correction, to avoid confusion: the DL half marathon takes place on Sunday, September 17th, 2006. I'd hate for people to show up on the wrong day! :goodvibes

Here are links to the general event info page (http://disneyworldsports.disney.go.com/dwws/en_US/westcoast/events/detail?name=WestCoastHalfMarathon2006EventInfoEven tDetailPage) and the registration page (http://disneyworldsports.disney.go.com/dwws/en_US/westcoast/events/detail?name=WestCoastHalfMarathon2006RegisterEvent DetailPage), which will become active on October 15th.

Lisa loves Pooh
10-05-2005, 10:12 AM
I'll edit that...thanks April.

lap3
10-05-2005, 10:26 AM
...As for the weather, the only time I have ever been in CA was for our wedding, Sept 12, 2000. All I can tell you is that for that specific week it was HOT!!!!! I'm talking in the high 90║ range. I look like I was about to pass out in all the wedding pics from the heat. Hopefully that is not normal for that time.

Yeah, it'll probaby be hot so but the race will probably start in the morning where heat won't be so much of an issue. Also, we don't have humidity(or at least that much) to deal with. To me, that would be even tougher to handle. Just be sure to hydrate yourself sufficiently the week prior to the race to avoid cramping and dehydration...

AprilN
10-05-2005, 10:36 AM
Yeah, it'll probaby be hot so but the race will probably start in the morning where heat won't be so much of an issue. Also, we don't have humidity (or at least that much) to deal with. To me, that would be even tougher to handle.Yep, according to the official schedule page (http://disneyworldsports.disney.go.com/dwws/en_US/westcoast/events/detail?name=WestCoastHalfMarathon2006ScheduleEvent DetailPage), the race will start at 6:00 AM. :teeth: While it could still get pretty warm by the end of the race, I'm guessing it will be reasonable. The humidity would kill me as well - I'm definitely a home-grown California girl, that's for sure! :p

Here's a weather summary page (http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KFUL/2005/9/17/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA) for Anaheim (technically for Fullerton, which is close by) on September 17. Historically, the average high/low temps have been 85/62░F, and based on the temperature graph for this past Sept. 17, it should stay in the low 60's through the end of the race (~9:00 AM). Remember, there won't be much humidity, so this should be rather pleasant!

littlegreydonkey
10-05-2005, 10:44 PM
Mel - would happily adopt you, but you'd never see me, I'm always on an aeroplane somewhere!!! Helen

wfloyd
10-09-2005, 05:24 PM
Crazy4pooh- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us know what it is that you get!

The special gift was an apron to go along with the Food and Wine Festival. I did hear a couple of people say that it might be nice to wear after a few drinks so they could keep from spilling food on themselves. They also had shirts that you could buy if you wanted one.

maryliz
10-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Darned lotto numbers didn't come up this past weekend. I "mentioned" it to DH again, and he just :rolleyes: Can't push him too much ... he readily agreed to a 3-night trip to WDW without the kids this coming December. And I did go to WDW with one of my sisters for a week in Aug without him or the kids. 4 trips to WDW this year for me. :goodvibes I think DL next year would be really pushing my luck and my marriage. :rotfl:

Karen, I tried to tell him that you and I could share a room. :teeth:

Heather ... you're doing the Full in 2007 :earseek: Congrats on that goal! Do you train in the middle of the night when those beautiful girls are asleep?

The thought of that beautiful Castle medal and me not having one is making me :sad: But knowing that some of my wonderful friends will be sharing their pictures of themselves with the medal is of great comfort to me !

:grouphug: to you all !

MaryLiz

keenercam
10-11-2005, 12:43 PM
I can't believe I just signed up for DH and me! I must need my head examined! :crazy:

TXBelle
10-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Woo Hoo Cam! :cheer2: Can't wait to see you and Howard there! We can always say that we were at the first one. :banana:

keenercam
10-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Heather! THANK YOU, so much! Still can't believe Howard agreed to this, considering we have no idea what his job situation will be, and I can't imagine paying for airfare and DS will be back in school by then, and DD will be in her first semester of college. Lots of reasons to have hesitated, but all my WISH buddies have taught me the value of making a commitment and then working toward fulfilling it.

This is going to be so much fun. Guess I will have to make a note to investigate using our DVC points to book accomodations! YIPPEE!!!!! :Pinkbounc

Lisa loves Pooh
10-15-2005, 05:42 PM
I signed up!

I'm cruisin' for a bruisin'!

Ha ha!

Not sure if I can go....but at least $90 secured my spot!

keenercam
10-15-2005, 08:25 PM
I signed up!

I'm cruisin' for a bruisin'!

Ha ha!

Not sure if I can go....but at least $90 secured my spot!

Lisa -- I agree. I have every expectation that this race will fill up very fast, so I thought it was better to secure the spots and worry later about how to get there. It will be great to put together a new training thread for that event after the January 1/2!! So far, I think it is you and me and Howard and Heather! Who else? :goodvibes:

TiffJ
10-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Ooohhh you guys are killing me! Minnie weekend, Danskin Tri, Disneyland 1/2....... how's a SAHM supposed to pay for all this? I want to be at all of them. What to do, what to do?

Lisa loves Pooh
10-16-2005, 11:33 AM
Ooohhh you guys are killing me! Minnie weekend, Danskin Tri, Disneyland 1/2....... how's a SAHM supposed to pay for all this? I want to be at all of them. What to do, what to do?

We ask hubby.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Just kidding!

AprilN
10-16-2005, 06:21 PM
So far, I think it is you and me and Howard and Heather! Who else? :goodvibes:I'm signed up! :teeth: And possibly my DH as well - he'll definitely be there to cheer me on, but he's still considering running the race as well. He hasn't registered yet, so he'd better make up his mind soon... :p

crzy4pooh
10-16-2005, 08:48 PM
DH signed up, too!!!! I am going to do the 5K - he will do the half. We figured it was only fair since I already have a Donald half medal. Plus, I'm planning on doing the Minnie 15K and the Danskin. (We have DS who will be 3.5 when we go.) We are sooooo excited!!!! We've never been to California. DH's too cute - already figuring out how many days, what areas, etc. for anything we ever wanted to do. (It is doubtful we would go back in the foreseeable future...) So who has been to DL? Who can I ask all of my questions to?? :teeth: We're going to DISNEYLAND!!!!! :banana:

Judy from Boise
10-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Hey, was just pointed to this thread.......my DH is registered for the half marathon ( he has run 4 ) my DD and I are doing the 5 K :)
We all need lime green shirts !

geetey
10-17-2005, 12:20 AM
crzy4pooh - what is the Minnie15K? Is that a Disney run?

crzy4pooh
10-17-2005, 07:13 AM
crzy4pooh - what is the Minnie15K? Is that a Disney run?

Disney is having a Minnie Marathon Weekend - WDW's inaugural women's event. It will have a 1 mile and 5K on Saturday, May 6, 2006 that goes around Downtown Disney. Then on Sunday, May 7, 2006, they have a 15K that goes through Animal Kingdom, Wide World of Sports, MGM, Boardwalk area, and EPCOT. Here's a link:
http://disneyworldsports.disney.go.com/dwws/en_US/endurance/events/detail?name=EnduranceMinnieMarathonWeekendEventInf oEventDetailPage

If you are interested, the following weekend will be the Danskin triathlon (women only). It's actually one of the shortest tri's. You swim 400 yards, bike 12 miles, and run 2 miles. It starts and ends on the beach on front of the Magic Kingdom, and the run is through the castle and down main street. The race is set for Sunday, May 14th (Mother's Day). I volunteered for it last year, and saw people of all sizes and abilities. It is a fundraiser for breast cancer research, and the first wave of swimmers are all of the survivors.

We've been talking a little about both races on the Marathon training thread if you want to read some other comments. Several of us are planning on doing both events. I'd love to see you there! :teeth:

TiffJ
10-17-2005, 07:20 AM
We ask hubby.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Just kidding!

I've already taken all his money :rolleyes1 If he would just get that 2nd job, I told him the gas station up the street has a $500 hiring bonus :rotfl:

lap3
10-17-2005, 10:03 AM
...DH's too cute - already figuring out how many days, what areas, etc. for anything we ever wanted to do. (It is doubtful we would go back in the foreseeable future...) So who has been to DL? Who can I ask all of my questions to?? :teeth: We're going to DISNEYLAND!!!!! :banana:
This event is getting pretty exciting! Hopefully, I'll get to meet some of youo DISers at the race. You should check out the DIS Disneyland thread (http://disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26) for more info on Disneyland and Southern California in general. You'll find a bunch of useful from some of the DL veterans...

geetey
10-17-2005, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the info! I did the half last year, so I haven't been following the training threads. The Disneyland half has caught my eye however. I am going to have to do some figuring and thinking about this Minnie 15K!

wfloyd
10-31-2005, 06:28 AM
For those who are doing the DL half marathon, DW came up with a clippie for it. Let us know what you think.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/crzy4pooh/Disneyland2006HalfClippiecopy.jpg

Lisa loves Pooh
10-31-2005, 07:27 AM
I LIKE that clippie!!!

lap3
10-31-2005, 09:37 AM
I like it too!

keenercam
10-31-2005, 10:46 AM
awesome clippie!

wfloyd
10-31-2005, 12:13 PM
Here is the link for the clippie if anyone else wants to use it. As usual, the last bracket needs to be modified to a ] to get the picture.

[IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/crzy4pooh/Disneyland2006HalfClippiecopy.jpg[/IMG}

crzy4pooh
10-31-2005, 09:58 PM
Here is the link for the clippie if anyone else wants to use it. As usual, the last bracket needs to be modified to a ] to get the picture.

[IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/crzy4pooh/Disneyland2006HalfClippiecopy.jpg[/IMG}

I need to edit the clippie url. I should have saved them as gif files, not jpeg files - SORRY!!! :blush: Here is the correct clippie and url...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/crzy4pooh/Disneyland2006HalfClippiecopy.gif
[IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/crzy4pooh/Disneyland2006HalfClippiecopy.gif[/IMG}

Rachael Q
10-31-2005, 11:41 PM
I registered! Yeah 1/5th of The Original Team Canada - now I just need to keep working on the Ontario girls!

I will be on my own, my DH can't make it and my girlfriend who was going to run with me, can't make it either.

But I am looking forward to it.

Rachael

littlegreydonkey
11-01-2005, 01:09 PM
Hey all - so busy on the WDW marathon thread been ignoring this one. Crazy4Pooh, I'm also registered for this one, and have been to DL a few times and am possibly nipping to Downtown Disney(land) in December for an evening instead of sitting in our hotel in LAX so might be able to answer any questions! Rachael - see you're going to OZ soon -whereabouts? Helen

crzy4pooh
11-01-2005, 02:23 PM
Crazy4Pooh, I'm also registered for this one, and have been to DL a few times and am possibly nipping to Downtown Disney(land) in December for an evening instead of sitting in our hotel in LAX so might be able to answer any questions!

Thanks!!! We are still in the basic planning stages right now, but do have a few questions. Have you stayed at the DL hotels? We are deciding between Grand California and Disneyland. I've read everything I can find on the DL board, and we are probably leaning toward GC, but wonder if the DLH might be a better atmosphere for our 2 year old. Also, does anyone know anything about the animal park that is with the San Diego Zoo? Yea - I'm getting so excited about going to Disneyland!! I guess I should focus on the marathon training first, though, since that is only a couple months away... :rolleyes1

Thanks again!!!

maryliz
11-01-2005, 07:49 PM
I registered! Yeah 1/5th of The Original Team Canada - now I just need to keep working on the Ontario girls!

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Hooray ... there's our Canadian contingent !!! It's not the Ontario GIRLS you have to work on, it'd be my DH ! Something about us really not having the money for me to travel to California for yet another medal :rolleyes1

If I had the cash, I would have registered on October 1st ! ::yes::

I'm soooo happy that some of the original 2005 WISH team are doing this. It's the next best thing to being there, knowing some friends will be.

MaryLiz

Rachael Q
11-01-2005, 08:07 PM
hey Maryliz I will convince your DH.......if he feels someone trying to mess with his thoughts, that's me! (only kidding).

Helen, we will be spending most of the time in Tasmania, and then a quick trip to Melbourne and Sydney to catch up with friends before heading back to Vancouver.

lap3
11-02-2005, 12:36 AM
Thanks!!! We are still in the basic planning stages right now, but do have a few questions. Have you stayed at the DL hotels? We are deciding between Grand California and Disneyland. I've read everything I can find on the DL board, and we are probably leaning toward GC, but wonder if the DLH might be a better atmosphere for our 2 year old. Also, does anyone know anything about the animal park that is with the San Diego Zoo? Yea - I'm getting so excited about going to Disneyland!! I guess I should focus on the marathon training first, though, since that is only a couple months away... :rolleyes1

Thanks again!!!
As you may have guessed, the GCH is a lot like the WL @ WDW. My family have stayed at both and both have good things about them. We like the GCH because it's located right in the middle of DTD. Plus, there's and entrance into DCA from the GCH. For us, though, we feel that the DLH captures more of that "magic"...even though it's a bit older hotel. Both resorts have character dining but it's only breakfast at the GCH whereas the DLH has breakfast, lunch, dinner. Pools for both hotels are nice. But, again, DLH gets the nod from our kids. They dig the theme and the water slide. You can't go wrong with either resort. If you do plan to stay there, I would suggest doing some price checking around now. Some of the popular discounts have been found by booking through AAA.

If you go to the San Diego Zoo, be prepared to walk some good size hills. So, make sure you have a good pair of walking shoes. Otherwise, take the guided tour on the tram for a less strenuous day at the zoo. We haven't done the San Diego Wild Animal Park in a while so I can't comment on that. However, we go to Sea World a couple of times a year. It's a lot like the Florida counterpart so you may recognize somethings there.

Let me know if this helps any or if you would like further info...

crzy4pooh
11-02-2005, 07:21 AM
Let me know if this helps any or if you would like further info...

THanks so much!!!! :goodvibes That does help alot! We have stayed at WL and AKL, which I understand are similar to GCH. I can't really picture DLH because I don't have anything to compare it to. Is there anything at WDW like it? We have looked at pricing a bit, and are still waiting on the quote for Disney Sports (the one on the entry form you check for a price quote.) We will definitely check AAA, too. It's so hard to figure out plans - we want to do everything because I doubt we will get back anytime soon, but don't want it to be stressful for DS. But we're sooooo excited!!!!!! :banana: Thanks again!!! :flower:

lap3
11-02-2005, 09:31 AM
THanks so much!!!! :goodvibes That does help alot! We have stayed at WL and AKL, which I understand are similar to GCH. I can't really picture DLH because I don't have anything to compare it to. Is there anything at WDW like it? We have looked at pricing a bit, and are still waiting on the quote for Disney Sports (the one on the entry form you check for a price quote.) We will definitely check AAA, too. It's so hard to figure out plans - we want to do everything because I doubt we will get back anytime soon, but don't want it to be stressful for DS. But we're sooooo excited!!!!!! :banana: Thanks again!!! :flower:
Hmmm....that's a tough one because we took our first trip to WDW early this year and we stayed at the POFQ. But, we did get to see many of the beautiful resorts at WDW. The exterior reminds me a lot like the CR. IE, a bit older and a bit dated, exteriorwise. IMO, while we really enjoy staying at the GCH, the interior decorations of the DLH really captures that "Disney Magic". Honestly, you can't go wrong with either resort. The one pitfall that many WDW veterans fall into is comparing the resorts and parks to that of WDW. They don't compare. Both locations have it's pros and cons. Don't succumb to this. You're only setting yourself up for the biggest let down. When you get there, just take everything in for what it's worth and you'll have a great time...

Incidentally, if we(as in the DISers) are planning a GTG prior to the race, there's not a lot of character dining places to chose from. Outside of the parks, Storytellers in the GCH for breakfast or Goofy's Kitchen at the DLH(B/L/D) are our only choices. As the race date approaches, we should probably keep this in mind if we want to ensure reserving a location...

keenercam
11-02-2005, 09:44 AM
If anyone has the Chase Disney Visa, you should be receiving an envelope any day talking about special discounts available to Disney Visa holders for DL that go through Sept 30, 2006! I haven't had time to look at the details, but we'll consider those when booking reservations.

AprilN
11-02-2005, 10:19 AM
I received this email from Disneyland Resort Sports reservations, which contains a summary of the sample rates they're offering. Currently, DH and I are looking at a 3.5* hotel on Hotwire for $66/night, which based on some DIS research I'm guessing is the Crowne Plaza Anaheim (http://www.anaheim.crowneplaza.com/). It lacks the magic of staying onsite, but I've found in Anaheim that the "real world" is so close by that onsite vs. offsite doesn't make a big difference for me. For almost all of my visits, I've either been living in SoCal and drove in for the day, or stayed with friends. Plus, $66 is a great rate for a nice hotel!

Anyway, here's the email:
Thank you for registering to join the Half Marathon in the Anaheim Resort in 2006! We look forward to your visit and are sure you'll enjoy your Southern California experience during your stay. In response to your request for more hotel information, please find attached a list of area hotels close to the Half Marathon venue along with sample one night rates.

Pricing reflects One Adult, Tickets not included, Taxes and Resort fees not included. Room Type: Standard.

Hotels of the Disneyland Resort

Grand Californian Hotel $257.60
Disneyland Hotel $205.85
Paradise Pier Hotel $173.65

Good Neighboring Hotels

Anabella Hotel $115.00
Anaheim Fairfield Inn $97.00
Anaheim Marriott Hotel $122.00
Best Western Anaheim Inn $111.00
Best Western Park Place Inn $118.00
Best Western Pavilions $87.00
Best Western Raffles Inn $88.00
Best Western Stovall's Inn $90.00
Carousel Inn $98.00
Clarion Hotel Anaheim $88.00
Holiday Inn Ana Resort $101.00
Holiday Inn at the Park $85.00
Holiday Inn Hotel $84.00
Int'l Inn Travelodge $75.00
Jolly Roger Hotel $63.00
Park Inn $96.00
Portofino Inn $103.00
Radisson Hotel Maingate $88.00
Ramada Inn Maingate $85.00
Red Roof Inn Maingate $61.00
Residence Inn Maingate $121.00
Sheraton Anaheim Hotel $143.00
Sheraton Park Hotel $108.00

maryliz
11-02-2005, 12:23 PM
hey Maryliz I will convince your DH.......if he feels someone trying to mess with his thoughts, that's me! (only kidding).

Mess away, my friend !!! If he all of a sudden comes out with "ya know, I really think you should do DisneyLand", I'll know it was your doing!

MaryLiz

littlegreydonkey
11-02-2005, 03:18 PM
Hi C4P - not stayed at either Disney hotel as, as someone else pointed out, offsite and onsite are only a road away from each other so we stay on Harbour Boulevard and indulge our junk food fixations (we can't get taco bell, del taco, carls junior etc etc here so it's exciting to eat there for us!!!) - usually at the West Coast which has views of the fireworks, it's being renovated at the moment which is why we're staying at LAX for our one night at Xmas, but should be finsihed by Sept I hope. Many people also seem to love the Candy Cane Inn.

Racheal: Enjoy your trip, not been to Tassie or Melbourne yet, but Sydney is fabulous. Helen

crzy4pooh
11-03-2005, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the info Helen! :goodvibes Since we won't be going back anytime soon, we will probably splurge and stay on-site. We do need to pick a hotel in San Diego - any recommendations? DH has gotten everything kind of sketched out on a spreadsheet (too cute!!! :love2: ) and will start calling everywhere for price quotes. We got the one from Disney sports, but need to find out how much tix will add. Who can tell me about Hollywood and the Tar Pits??? We set aside a day for those - definitely want to see the Hollywood sign and see the stars walk. What else do you all like to do in Hollywood? Can you tell I'm excited????? :rotfl: Woo-Hoo!!! Happy training and planning to everyone!!! ;)

lap3
11-04-2005, 10:42 AM
crzy4pooh, if you don't mind, I'm going to offer a few more suggestions... For San Diego, I would send a PM to Tink33. She posts over on the DL forums a lot and since she's a SD(San Diego) resident, she can offer many suggestions for hotels in and around the SD area. Based upon my experience, and we go to SD 3-4 times a year, we tend to stay in the Sea World/Mission Bay area. The reason being is that it's close to Sea World and the scenery is beautiful. There is a section in SD called Hotel Circle. You'll find a bunch of 1*-3*(maybe 4*) hotels. I don't know what your budget may be, but if you wish to save money, this is one location to keep in mind. Otherwise, the more inland you, the more likely you'll save money on hotel stays.

For Hollywood, there literally is a lot to see and do. Trying to fit them in one day will be tought but doable. IE, Getty Museum, Grauman's Chinese Theater, MOCA(Museum of Contemporary Art), La Brea Tar Pits, Griffith Observatory, etc... Rodeo is nice to see as well. It's expensive but nice. For dining and shopping, again, many places to go. If you'll be in Hollywood, I would stop by Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. If you've never been to LA before, a burger from In-N-Out should be had as well. Let's see, what else is there?... Oh, Pink's Hot Dogs is very good and popular among the locals. Shopping, we have Farmer's Market off 3rd and Fairfax. Many stars have been known to frequent this place during the week. Right next to FM is also the Grove. It's an outdoor mall that's pretty nice. There's also 3rd Street Promenade. It's a road they closed to vehicular traffic so that pedestrians can be free to walk and visit the local shops. Next to Universal Studios is City Walk. Again, it's an outdoor mall with many places to dine and shop.

Here are links to some of the things I mentioned:
The Grove (http://www.thegrovela.com/)
MOCA (www.moca.org)
In-N-Out Burger (www.in-n-out.com)...BTW, to sound like a local, here's a listing of different types of having your burger prepared. They won't have this printed when you get there...you just tell them and they'll understand. In-N-Out Burger Secret Menu (http://www.zenlemur.com/innout.shtml)
La Brea Tar Pits (www.tarpits.org)
J. Paul Getty Museum (www.getty.edu) (beautiful views at this museum)
Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles (www.roscoeschickenandwaffles.com)
Pink's Hot Dogs (www.pinkshollywood.com)
Universal City Walk (www.citywalkhollywood.com)

These are just a few things to see, do, and dine. If you need specific info, let me know...

littlegreydonkey
11-08-2005, 12:54 PM
I only have a place not to stay in San Diego - the Handlery, looks a lot nicer than it is. Despite not being full they put us, a couple with no kids, in the building housing the school party full of teenagers who proceeded to party in the corridors all night. And then moaned when I asked to be moved to a quieter room. Hated every second of my stay there, and now finally, about six years later, I have my revenge!! Helen

tennisnut
11-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Hi Everyone!
My husband and I are very excited about attending the very first half at Disneyland. We were checking out the new course for the WDW half and stumbled on the DL half. We wouldn't miss it for the world. Of course, we have not made any other reservations!!!

My DH is doing the "Goofy" in 2006 in WDW. I will be the woman with a leash ...holding my DH back from running too fast in the half.

He qualified for the Boston already so I hope he doesn't "kill "
himself running 39.3 miles in two days.

We are sooo excited!!! Any other Kentuckians going?

Susan

lap3
11-09-2005, 04:13 PM
I only have a place not to stay in San Diego - the Handlery, looks a lot nicer than it is. Despite not being full they put us, a couple with no kids, in the building housing the school party full of teenagers who proceeded to party in the corridors all night. And then moaned when I asked to be moved to a quieter room. Hated every second of my stay there, and now finally, about six years later, I have my revenge!! Helen

I stayed there once earlier this year for a triathlon. I got a rate of $45 for one night through Priceline. Since it was just me, it was ok but if I brought my DW and kids, I would never select this "resort"(as they call it). There are much better hotels to choose from in Hotel Circle than this one.

crzy4pooh
11-09-2005, 09:33 PM
Thanks for all the tips on the hotels - both where and where not to stay! ;) We've requested quotes from several places on the DL hotels/tix/etc, and we are looking at the Mission Bay area in San Diego. We'll narrow down hotel choices for that once we know costs on the DL stuff. Yea!!!! Sooooooo excited!!!!!! Thanks again for all the tips and advice!! You all are awesome!!! Can't wait to meet everyone!!! :cool1: