PDA

View Full Version : Oil vs. natural gas heat..

C.Ann
09-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Current info indicates heating oil prices will increase 31% this winter, while natural gas prices will increase 71%.. How will you handle that dramatic increase?

My home - which will go up for sale sometime soon - is heated with oil.. Prior to all of the remodeling - with old drafty windows, "settled" insulation, etc. - it really wasn't all that expensive to heat - and now that it's been totally done over (new windows and doors, new insulation, etc.) the new owners will probably get by with only a tank and a half - if that - for the entire winter..

My DD's house is heated with natural gas though and after seeing their heating bills from last winter, I am STRONGLY encouraging them to get on the budget plan ASAP.. With a 71% increase for natural gas, I shudder to think what those heat bills will be this year....

What do you plan to do in order to ease your winter heat bills?

Chris
09-10-2005, 05:21 PM
Current info indicates heating oil prices will increase 31% this winter, while natural gas prices will increase 71%.. How will you handle that dramatic increase?

My home - which will go up for sale sometime soon - is heated with oil.. Prior to all of the remodeling - with old drafty windows, "settled" insulation, etc. - it really wasn't all that expensive to heat - and now that it's been totally done over (new windows and doors, new insulation, etc.) the new owners will probably get by with only a tank and a half - if that - for the entire winter..

My DD's house is heated with natural gas though and after seeing their heating bills from last winter, I am STRONGLY encouraging them to get on the budget plan ASAP.. With a 71% increase for natural gas, I shudder to think what those heat bills will be this year....

What do you plan to do in order to ease your winter heat bills?

We heat with natural gas also, but this is the first I've heard about a 71% increase :confused3 I REALLY hope they are wrong. I'm already on the budget plan, have been for years and it really can't go up much more!!!!!
well, ok I guess it CAN, but............

EthansMom
09-10-2005, 05:26 PM
I entered my oil bills into excel for the past year. In one year, we've used roughly 800 gallons of oil. But during some of that use, we were still having the heating system constructed, so I'm guestimating that 100 gallons was expended during construction of the heat system. (We had a delivery of 200 gallons during construction and then a delivery of another 121 gallons two weeks later, so a guestimate of 100 gallons used during construction shouldn't be too far off.)

I have pre-bought 700 gallons of oil for this winter at $2.40/gal. We considered putting a wood-burning stove insert into our fireplace (which has a bad downdraft, so we don't use it much), but a good wood stove would have cost at least $2500. And while I have $1700 in the budget for oil, I don't have an additional $2500 for a wood stove, right now -- maybe next year.

I am having the furnace serviced to get the best efficiency out of it. And DH is going to check the insulation levels in the attic. And I'm going to purchase insulated drapes for our two largest windows.

We also have a two-zone heating system with digital thermostats on both the main floor and basement, so we can keep the basement cooler.

DMRick
09-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Luckily we have several cords of wood dried and ready, enough for this year, and in the past, our heat doesn't turn on until we hit the teens. But, wow, I hadn't heard that about 71%!! That's going to hurt, even with the amount we do use. My daughter just prebought her oil for $2.70 a gal, which is $1 more than she pre bought for last year.

Not many ways we can save the wood from burning...we keep the fire going 24/7 when at home. When away, we'll turn the heat lower..last year we kept it on to keep tour furbaby warm. She's gone, so we won't have to have it so warm when we aren't home.

BTW..welcome back.

C.Ann
09-10-2005, 05:39 PM
We also have a two-zone heating system with digital thermostats on both the main floor and basement, so we can keep the basement cooler.
---------------

This is another thing that will help the new owners of my home.. Prior to the remodel, it was all one "zone" - where now there is more than one with individual thermostats.. Also, just before we moved out, we had bought a new energy efficient furnace and it made a HUGE difference in our heat bills..

mudnuri
09-10-2005, 06:37 PM
I pre-bought 400 gallons at 2.089, and have an idea that oil prices are going to drop the beginning of oct from what they are now (2.63)...this came from my oil guy, who said every year it does. I will fill my tank then, and the 650 total gallons will get me through

I have new double tilt in energy efficent windows, new vinyl siding with board insulation under, blown in insulation in my walls, drop ceilings etc....

I'm really not worried about it since its all paid for already.

Brandy

ntburns22
09-10-2005, 06:42 PM
Our home is step up with propane and electric heating. After last year and our first year in our home we are going to use our electric heating. It cost us well over $2000 to heat our house last winter. So we are hoping using our electric will make it cheaper for us this year. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

C.Ann
09-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Our home is step up with propane and electric heating. After last year and our first year in our home we are going to use our electric heating. It cost us well over $2000 to heat our house last winter. So we are hoping using our electric will make it cheaper for us this year. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
---------------------

I think it depends on who supplies your electric and how expensive it is.. If you do decide to go that route though I would certainly contact your power company to see if you can get on the budget plan.. That way you won't be hit with extremely high bills during the coldest months - it will be averaged out over the course of a year..

Propane will have the least rise in price, but I can't remember what they quoted for that.. Sorry.. :confused3

PatsGirl
09-10-2005, 07:22 PM
I'm not sure how electric compares but when I put a 2nd floor dormer on my home two years ago, the contractors (dad and brother who have owned a company for 40 years) decided that I should put electric heat upstairs. The bathroom has a blower/fan and the bedroom has electric baseboard. We didn't put heat in the computer/office room because it is open to the 1st floor and hoped that it would stay warm enough. It didn't stay warm enough last year. We used it but it did get chilly and this year I'm going to buy an electric stove (they look good too).

The good thing about the electric is that I put the bathroom heat on when I first get up, go make coffee, take a shower, and then shut it off (usually about 15-20 minutes each a.m.). Bedroom heat goes on 30 minutes before I go to bed, then I shut it off. Electric bill only jumped about $10/month last year so this would seem pretty good.

Brenda

DMRick
09-10-2005, 07:22 PM
C.Ann..can you post where you are finding that info? I'd like to read into it further...especially the propane, as our daughter is building and it's propane or electric to choose from. Thanks
Doris

C.Ann
09-10-2005, 07:32 PM
C.Ann..can you post where you are finding that info? I'd like to read into it further...especially the propane, as our daughter is building and it's propane or electric to choose from. Thanks
Doris
---------------------------

It was on one of the national news programs - either CNN or MSN - as well as one of our local news channels.. I don't know if it's been in the newspapers because I stopped reading them when I took my little break from the DIS..

ntburns22
09-10-2005, 08:15 PM
I'm not sure how electric compares but when I put a 2nd floor dormer on my home two years ago, the contractors (dad and brother who have owned a company for 40 years) decided that I should put electric heat upstairs. The bathroom has a blower/fan and the bedroom has electric baseboard. We didn't put heat in the computer/office room because it is open to the 1st floor and hoped that it would stay warm enough. It didn't stay warm enough last year. We used it but it did get chilly and this year I'm going to buy an electric stove (they look good too).

The good thing about the electric is that I put the bathroom heat on when I first get up, go make coffee, take a shower, and then shut it off (usually about 15-20 minutes each a.m.). Bedroom heat goes on 30 minutes before I go to bed, then I shut it off. Electric bill only jumped about $10/month last year so this would seem pretty good.

Brenda
I am glad to hear that works for you. We are planning on only turning on the rooms we use. For example leaving the dining off unless we have company for dinner. We are only going to turn on the upstairs before we go to bed and then turn them off an hour or 2 later. IF it gets chilly we would leave the playroom on since it is right across from both kids bedrooms. I sure hope it costs less then last year.

cobbler
09-11-2005, 06:23 AM
Yep I heard the 71% increase for natural gas too and also heard that the midwest (which includes me) is going to get hit the worst.

Right now we are going around our home and filling in any cracks or anything that we find in the window frames, going to put plastic up and such. Our highest heat bill last year was 145, if it goes up 71% that means our bill would be about 247. I sure hope not. Got hubby doing a lot of "honey do" projects right now to help fight this.

Big Kahuna
09-11-2005, 09:32 AM
You can find the article about the 71% projected increase on Reuters

mickeyluv'r
09-11-2005, 09:41 AM
I heard the 71% increase, but then I also heard 50% increase...so while I'm not thrilled about either prospect, and I suspect there will be some inrease, I also wonder if this isn't a bit of typical media hyping. If it goes up that much, it will be bad, but I'm not going to start pannicking just yet. Besides, with natural gas, I don't think there is much I can do...except that I'd love to find out about solar panels...anybody have one? (wood stoves aren't an option for us)

C.Ann
09-11-2005, 09:49 AM
If it goes up that much, it will be bad, but I'm not going to start pannicking just yet. Besides, with natural gas, I don't think there is much I can do...except that I'd love to find out about solar panels...anybody have one? (wood stoves aren't an option for us)
-------------

I agree - to panic would not accomplish anything.. Better to just get on the budget plan if possible and plan accordingly.. Maybe we'll get lucky and have a mild winter..

blanq
09-11-2005, 09:52 AM
The national news media (newspapers and television) has reported that some areas may see up to a 71% increase in natural gas costs this winter. Our local newspaper, as of yesterday, is indicating increases of 30% for my area, for Xcel Energy customers. I think that the increases may vary depending on where you live and who your provider is.