PDA

View Full Version : People who wear glasses - any bargain tips?

wdwpluto
09-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Okay, I just bought a pair of new prescription glasses today. Lenses and frames came to nearly $350 :earseek: I had looked at BJ's optical, Target optical, and Walmart optical. I ended up buying at Pearle Vision because that was where I found frames I actually liked (that looked good on me).

We have no vision coverage :rolleyes: so that's 100% out of pocket. Anyone have any good bargain tips or great super secret places that they buy glasses? I just think it's insane, it's not like I choose to have poor vision, yet the eye glass places seem to take advantage of it! :guilty:

ETA: I got my eye exam super cheap (IMHO) at BJ's. $49.

EthansMom
09-10-2005, 05:34 PM
DH and I both wear glasses. We wait until we get a "buy one, get one free" offer and then both get new glasses at the same time. Neither of us has eyes that change much, so we only get new glasses every couple of years. Ithink it cost around $600 for both check ups and glasses last year. D

H could get eye insurance at work, but it doesn't cover the entire cost of glasses and so it doesn't make sense to carry it constantly. When benefits enrollment comes around, I should look at the cost of insurance again since we'll be due for new glasses next year.

CarolinaBlue
09-10-2005, 05:46 PM
I have a AAA membership and I get a 30% discount on eye exams, frames, and lenses at Lenscrafters.

hallie615
09-10-2005, 06:00 PM
I've never tried this site before, but someone who bought from here told me about it. For the price it might be worth it to try it out. Let me know if anyone tries it.

www.39dollarglasses.com

lifeasahampster
09-10-2005, 06:01 PM
If you have a costco membership you can get an eye exam for less than $40. Also, the VERY best place to get glasses is 39dollarglasses, they are actually really great quality and they really cost 39 bucks! Just type that into yahoo. I have a college son that seems to loose glasses daily, so this is what I do for him now. I may have a code for free shipping if you want it. Good luck!

Lives4Disney
09-10-2005, 06:31 PM
I second the Costco. My husband just got two pairs at costco. They were both just over $100 each. My daughter just got a kids' pair for..... $63 total!!! (and she LOVES them)

We spent $750 last year for my husband's 2 pairs at LensCrafters! :guilty:

Of course, that $750 was after he hadn't needed new glasses for about 10 yrs - then within the year his prescription changed!! :rolleyes: and he really was uncomfortable wearing those $750 glasses!! Ugh!!!!

The Costco glasses for $100ish are just as stylish and nice quality, too.

Lives4Disney :earsgirl:

disneysteve
09-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Lenses and frames came to nearly $350 :earseek:
OMG!! Here's my bargain tip. DON'T PAY $350 FOR GLASSES!

There is a chain in our area called For Eyes. They have a standing deal of 2 pairs of glasses for $99. Both DW and I have done this the last 2 times we got glasses. What we do is get one pair of regular glasses and one pair of sunglasses for the $99. And if you only want one pair, they are $59.95.

Stay away from places like Lenscrafters. Any place that can put a coupon in the paper for $100 off your next pair has got to be way overcharging for their glasses. And stay away from the designer frames (which seems to be all they sell at places like Lenscrafters).

So see if there is a For Eyes near you. If not, find the comparable discount chain where you live and go there next time.

ETA: I just noticed you are in North Jersey. If there isn't a For Eyes near you, it would be well worth a trip South to their nearest store.

vossjemi
09-10-2005, 07:47 PM
We have a membership at America's Contacts & Eyeglasses. I think it cost around $100 for 5 years. All eye exams are free for those 5 years, plus huge discounts on all glasses & contacts! Love it!

tar heel
09-10-2005, 09:53 PM
I would never pay that much for glasses. I would keep looking until I found something I liked for half that price or less.

I second what Steve said about Lenscrafters. I don't know what they charge for glasses, but when I priced my son's new contacts prescription they wanted $140 -- same as his opthamologist. I got them at a locally owned optician for $79.98 -- a price BETTER than the internet places. We had bought his previous prescription lenses at BJs ($26 versus $50 at his opthamologist) but they don't carry this kind.

tar heel
09-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Someone mentioned buying glasses two years in a row. I would consider frames that age to be NEW and would just do lenses.

OceanAnnie
09-10-2005, 10:05 PM
You won't believe this. It's my deal of the decade.

I was looking for cheap sunglasses on e-bay. Regular cheap sunglasses. And I saw prescription sunglasses! They are the same style as the glasses I wear (when I don't wear contacts). Well, I looked into it some more and the prescription was almost the same as mine. The exact same in one eye and weaker by a tenth in the other.

I bought them for $10! Works great for me. I can't tell a difference in the prescription at all! The lady that sold them to me said she paid $250 for them and only wore them a few times. She got the lasik surgery and they were of no use to her anymore.

It was such a fluke I found them that day! I love them!

And I did find my cheap sunglasses too. At the Dollar Tree! I was spending good money on sunglasses only to have them break or get lost. Now that I bought the Dollar sunglasses they have lasted and haven't lost one. Murphy's law. And you can't tell they are from the Dollar store! They have the UVB protection and are stylish. :)

It's been a good summer! :)

beagle744
09-10-2005, 10:10 PM
I discovered this by accident. Went to Target optical bought 2 pair. When I got home noticed one pair was so much cheaper than the other. I then realized that the less expensive pair were kids frames. Fortunately they fit me at I liked the style.

kaytieeldr
09-10-2005, 10:31 PM
OMG!! Here's my bargain tip. DON'T PAY $350 FOR GLASSES!
So see if there is a For Eyes near you. If not, find the comparable discount chain where you live and go there next time.

ETA: I just noticed you are in North Jersey. If there isn't a For Eyes near you, it would be well worth a trip South to their nearest store.

Or north. There's a bunch of ForEyes locations in Massachusetts.

luvtogo12
09-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Another vote for Costco. I just got my DD glasses for a total of $89.00.
Single vision lenses are only $19.99. Frames start at about $39.00.
For myself, I have never paid more than $150.00. This is a huge savings since I was used to paying around $400.00. I have a high script and pay a lot for all the extras to make them look as thin as possible. Now, when I get new glasses I order a new pair of perscription sun glasses as well and still pay about $300.00.
They may not have the biggest selection of frames but I have never had a problem finding a pair I liked. Even my DD who is a typical 15 y/o overly concerned with fashion always finds a few pairs she likes.

OceanAnnie
09-11-2005, 09:22 AM
I discovered this by accident. Went to Target optical bought 2 pair. When I got home noticed one pair was so much cheaper than the other. I then realized that the less expensive pair were kids frames. Fortunately they fit me at I liked the style.

I agree. They do cost less. I've bought kids frames for myself too. They fit and were stylish.

I didn't know Target had an optical department. I got my regular eyeglasses at Sears.

oogieboogie
09-11-2005, 10:37 AM
I bought mine online. 39dollarglasses is a great place to get glasses. I didn't get mine there - I went to another site, but mine came with the magnetic sun clip, anti-scratch coating, anti-reflective coating and I paid $16 for it and it fits just fine.

I won't ever buy glasses at the brick and mortar stores anymore. The mark-ups are just way too ridiculous. I have a pretty high prescription + astigmatism which means I need my lenses to be as thin as possible, and the last time I went to EyeMasters, I ended up paying $400 just for the lenses! Never am I going to do that again.

toesmom
09-11-2005, 11:13 AM
my dh is an optometrist and he of course sells glasses and contact lenses, though not all eye doctors do. In any case, his price for the complete glasses always always always beats the lenscrafters, walmarts, hakim optical companies (we live in canada).

It appears that the optical companies really tend to upsell features that most people never need, thus glasses tend to cost way more.

Before you go to the optical companies, check with your eye doctor and I bet you would be surprised by the price difference.

mum4jenn
09-11-2005, 01:29 PM
WOW!!!!! I might try this $39 site. We HAVE the vision insurance but the last time I got glasses I still paid right at $300. I have very bad eyesight (bifocals and the prescription is so strong I have to get the thin lenses also or else my lenses would be almost an inch thick. I have had these for 2 years now and the coating is coming off pretty bad so it is hard to even read through them but I just don't have $300 to hand out right now. Thanks for the info.

Alice's Mom
09-11-2005, 03:03 PM
Another vote for Costco, I wear contacts so I have the $70 eye exam, my last pair of glasses cost a total of $55.00 and 6 pairs of contacts cost me $40 and each set lasts up to 2 months. I can't believe what it used to cost me, mostly my parents as I have been wearing glasses since I was 4 and I have an astygmatism...I figure if I get lasik in the next two years, it will save me a fortune in the long run...

:3dglasses

cutedisney
09-11-2005, 10:12 PM
My husband manages an optometric practice dealing with contact lenses and glasses. Let me know if this helps anyone.

ladysoleil
09-12-2005, 10:30 AM
I do okay with Lenscrafters, but that's because I can wear children's frames and I go with the coupons. If I can get a buy one, get one, I'll get a pair of prescription sunglasses.

Also, since the children's frames tend to be sturdy and impact resistant, I save money by replacing the lenses if my prescription changes- you can get coupons for a discount on that, too. So, really, I only need new frames every three-four years or so. I've had my prescription sunglasses quite a while and have had the lenses replaced once. I think they are probably about six years old but look new since I don't wear them as often.

Unfortunately, as you can guess, wearing children's frames tends to work only if you have a small head. ;) My DH can't get away with that.

my3kids
09-12-2005, 10:49 AM
Costco! Great frames at great prices. They are also the BEST place to buy name brand sunglasses like Maui Jim and Oakley.

WDWannabe
09-12-2005, 11:44 AM
Hey, just got a eye exam Saturday, and was wondering if anyone knew if you can get contacts from out of state?

This four eyes sounds good and so does costco....We live in GA and do not have either one around here. I know I can get a copy of my perscription...so.... The price they want to just change the lenses on my glasses! WOW!! over 200.00!! The contacts are 18.75 a box, so thats cheeper than walmart, we have a sams club they were the best price....

Thanks!

Lewisc
09-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Another vote for COSTCO. The target coupons are also good. I agree, Lenscrafters is very expensive, even with the coupons.

Some coupons and ads say something like some exclusions or not valid with all prescriptions. Some only include very mild prescriptions, not much more than a + or - 4.0

Auggietina
09-12-2005, 12:43 PM
I've never tried this site before, but someone who bought from here told me about it. For the price it might be worth it to try it out. Let me know if anyone tries it.

www.39dollarglasses.com

I have used this site and was very happy with my glasses. I wear contact lens and I only wear glasses on few occassions, so these seem to be the perfect answer for me.

I liked them so much - I wear them a lot!

Pat
09-12-2005, 12:47 PM
The last time I got glasses, I used my old frames as I liked them and they were still good. Instead of getting prescription sun glasses, I got come clip on ones that clip right on the front of my regular glasses. They cost was very small of them.

Lewisc
09-12-2005, 12:53 PM
http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php for $19 glasses. The charge extra for stronger glasses. I don't think I'd use them but if you're on a tight budget.

ElizaB39
09-12-2005, 01:04 PM
I will go against the majority here and say no to Costco for glasses. I have had such a hard time getting them to fit properly after my purchase. I too have a strong prescrip and usually pay around 400 for a pair from another store, and I am not even into bifocals yet! Yes for prices, no for overall satisfaction. JMHO

virginian
09-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Oogieboogie,
I also have a pretty high prescription so I need thin glasses. Would you mind telling where you got your $16 glasses from?

Thanks

I bought mine online. 39dollarglasses is a great place to get glasses. I didn't get mine there - I went to another site, but mine came with the magnetic sun clip, anti-scratch coating, anti-reflective coating and I paid $16 for it and it fits just fine.

I won't ever buy glasses at the brick and mortar stores anymore. The mark-ups are just way too ridiculous. I have a pretty high prescription + astigmatism which means I need my lenses to be as thin as possible, and the last time I went to EyeMasters, I ended up paying $400 just for the lenses! Never am I going to do that again.

calanniebu
09-12-2005, 04:40 PM
I have a AAA membership and I get a 30% discount on eye exams, frames, and lenses at Lenscrafters.

You may want to go back and ask them about it. The guy that fitted me with my glasses asked me if we had AAA when we were trying to find the best discount available.

My almost $600 glasses (bad vision with astigmatism, anti-glare, thin lenses, wire frames with clip-on sunglasses) were $420 ... which made it bareable.

oogieboogie
09-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Oogieboogie,
I also have a pretty high prescription so I need thin glasses. Would you mind telling where you got your $16 glasses from?

Thanks

I got it off www.goggles4u.com. Mine came just fine but I don't know if I really want to recommend it. They sell all their glasses for about $12, bt it comes from Pakistan.

DH was really suprised when the mailman brought it cause it came in a burlap bag with a Pakistan return address. It looked really suspicious - we definitely were not expecting it to come from that far away.

However, the glasses themselves were excellent quality. My prescription is -5.25/-5.50 with a -1.25/-1.25 cylindrical, and the lenses were nice and thin. I've had these for about 6 months now and I'm very happy with it.

If you're really on a tight budget, this is a pretty economical way to go. I'm ready to get a spare pair and I'm waffling whether I want to get it from them again or go with 39dollarglasses or 19dollareyeglasses. Either way, I'm done with buying from a brick and mortar.

disneysteve
09-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Ok. How exactly do you buy glasses online? Buying glasses generally involves at least a half hour of trying on various frames to see which ones fit well, are a good size for my face, good color, good shape, etc. How can you possibly pick frames online without trying them on? I don't think I could ever do it. And I'm positive DW would say the same. She has a much harder time since she is petite and has to try on adult and kid models to find one that works for her.

cinamin27
09-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Disneysteve - I was wondering the very same thing

WDWannabe - as long as you have a current valid perscription you can get your contacts anywhere you want that will accept your doctors written rx.

OceanAnnie
09-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Ok. How exactly do you buy glasses online? Buying glasses generally involves at least a half hour of trying on various frames to see which ones fit well, are a good size for my face, good color, good shape, etc. How can you possibly pick frames online without trying them on? I don't think I could ever do it. And I'm positive DW would say the same. She has a much harder time since she is petite and has to try on adult and kid models to find one that works for her.

I stuck with a frame that I've used in the past and know it works for me. I would probably try a similar frame that was a little different but basically the same shape.

That's just me.

oogieboogie
09-12-2005, 08:15 PM

I've been wearing glasses since I was a little kid, so I have a general idea of what sizes and shapes would work for me. I look at the sizes of the frames that are online, and some of them actually have an actual size picture you can print out. I know which sizes are best for my face. Since I'm petite, I usually stay with small lenses, small frames and I stay with the unisex styles.

If you're new to wearing glasses, I would go to a brick and mortar place, try out a few frames, take note of the size and shape of the frame, and then find an equivalent of it online.

disneysteve
09-12-2005, 08:22 PM
I've been wearing glasses since I was a little kid, so I have a general idea of what sizes and shapes would work for me.
I've worn glasses since 4th grade. I'm 41 now. Every time I go to get new glasses, I basically start from scratch as styles change and what worked for me last time doesn't exist anymore so I have to find something new. It's kind of fun but does get frustrating at times. I've gone from gold metal frames to brown plastic frames to my current pair that is rimless on the bottom half of the frame. I'm glad if the online thing works for folks, but realistically I couldn't imagine doing it. What happens if you get your glasses and don't like them or they don't fit? Will they take them back? We've also had a few times where we picked up our glasses and the lenses weren't right and had to be redone. How do the online places handle that? And how long does it take?

WaltD4Me
09-12-2005, 08:53 PM
Honestly, I don't know how places like Lens Crafters and Pearl Vision, ect...stay in business! They are SO expensive! -- I guess if you have vision insurance though.....

I get my glasses from Eye Masters. They usually have a two for $99 deal or sometimes 2 for $79.

One thing for sure is stay away from designer frames! The minute they put a designer name on a frame like Tommy Hilfger or Liz Claiborne the price at least triples! Last time I got glasses I saw a Liz pair I really liked, but the frames were $186, the girl at Eye Masters was very nice though and showed me an almost identical no name frame that I could get with the two for $99 deal.

oogieboogie
09-12-2005, 09:05 PM
What happens if you get your glasses and don't like them or they don't fit? Will they take them back? We've also had a few times where we picked up our glasses and the lenses weren't right and had to be redone. How do the online places handle that? And how long does it take?

Can't really answer that since this was my first purchase online and I'm quite suprised that I actually like them and they fit well.

These glasses that I bought weren't supposed to be my primary glasses. My contacts were supposed to be my primary and the glasses were supposed to just be for backup. But now, I wear the glasses more and the contacts less.

If the glasses need adjustments or the screws need replaced, I can take them to Walmart and have it adjusted or cleaned for free.

gothmommie
09-12-2005, 09:20 PM
I don't think $350 is all that expensive if you have high index lenses with coatings and selected a designer frame (or any frame not off the discount racks) and you intend them to last a number of years.

I finally got LASIK surgery but I was VERY picky when it came to my glasses, comes from wearing them since I was SIX, and never found anything I liked at Lens crafters and the like - and as I needed high index lenses, my lenses were always expensive, regardless of store. Pearle worked for me - the last time I went my discount was 35% off - AAA membership.

Those glasses/frames lasted 8 years so it was a good thing I liked them! (I feel like I should have them bronzed now that I no longer need corrective lenses!)

My husband who has 20/40 vision but opted for glasses, had excellent luck at Sears. Good price and they've held up well (he's very tough on his things).

mum4jenn
09-13-2005, 02:23 PM
I don't think $350 is all that expensive if you have high index lenses with coatings and selected a designer frame (or any frame not off the discount racks) and you intend them to last a number of years.

I finally got LASIK surgery but I was VERY picky when it came to my glasses, comes from wearing them since I was SIX, and never found anything I liked at Lens crafters and the like - and as I needed high index lenses, my lenses were always expensive, regardless of store. Pearle worked for me - the last time I went my discount was 35% off - AAA membership.

Those glasses/frames lasted 8 years so it was a good thing I liked them! (I feel like I should have them bronzed now that I no longer need corrective lenses!)

My husband who has 20/40 vision but opted for glasses, had excellent luck at Sears. Good price and they've held up well (he's very tough on his things).

You are very lucky then. MOST people have eyes that change more often than that. I once got a new prescription on my glasses and contacts and within 6 months they changed so much I was having headaches everyday. Since my vision insurance had already been used I had to pay full price and I ended up paying almost $500 for new ones. Also I was stuck with the contacts since part of the change was that I needed bi-focals and contacts and bi-focals just don't work for me. I have to do too much book work and using reading glasses with the contacts was such a pain to keep switching back and forth so many times in the day due to my work. So then about a year later my vision had changed again so here we go again. Was able to use the insurance this time but with all the coatings,thin lenses so they won't be 2" thick,bi-focal and such I still paidright at $300 WITH insurance. On my salary that is a BUNCH of money. There is no way I could ever make my glasses last 8 years so with my average of $300 a year,THAT is expensive. My eyes are very bad and I have been wearing glasses since I was around 11 and even then my vision was 20/200. Have no idea what it is now but my contact prescription is -5.50 from 2 years ago. They get worse everytime I have them checked. Sooooo this $39.00 thing is really looking good right now. I went to their site and you print out a lifesized model of the glasses to see if they will fit and tere is also a ruler to measure the width just like they do in the office. I will probably give this a try. The coating has worn off on mine now and it it very hard to see through them.

gothmommie
09-13-2005, 02:32 PM
You are very lucky then. MOST people have eyes that change more often than that. I once got a new prescription on my glasses and contacts and within 6 months they changed so much I was having headaches everyday. Since my vision insurance had already been used I had to pay full price and I ended up paying almost $500 for new ones.

Wow. I guess I wrongfully assumed that as we age our prescriptions change less and less.... (this is what my eye dr. told me and I proved it out but everyone is different - this illustrates that fact). Best of luck to you! Hope you find a quality deal.

Debbie Jean
09-13-2005, 02:58 PM
You are very lucky then. MOST people have eyes that change more often than that. I once got a new prescription on my glasses and contacts and within 6 months they changed so much I was having headaches everyday. Since my vision insurance had already been used I had to pay full price and I ended up paying almost $500 for new ones.

FYI, Lenscrafters will replace the lenses if the prescription changes for 12 months from the time of purchase for $50.

I have to agree with those folks who wouldn't even consider buying glasses online. My vision is 230/20 in both eyes and I have glaucoma. Although I've worn glasses since I was 6 years old, there is no way I could judge frames without trying them on. Even with the newer thin lenses, my prescription is strong enough that not all frames can accomodate the thickness of the lenses.

I've had problems with getting the lenses ground in the past and on the worst occassion had to have them redone 3 times because the optical center of the lense was off just a smidge. The prescription is strong enough that it makes a difference to me. My glasses go on before I get out of bed in the morning and don't come off until I am in bed at night. To me they are a medical necessity and I am willing to pay what it takes to get something I am comfortable with... in the case of my last pair of glasses, it was $270.00 at Lenscrafters with the AAA discount. I am thrilled with them and feel I got a very good deal. I've spent my life comparison shopping for glasses so I know what I need.

BTW, my insurance has a $40 allowance every 2 years for glasses so this is coming out of my pocket!

JMO, YMMV

:flower:

granmanh603
09-13-2005, 03:08 PM
I just bought glasses at Sears 2 weeks ago and got no line bifocals for $97 . I had used on line to find a store to get an exam. www.searsoptical.com and I noticed today that they are advertising 2 pairs for $98 reg and lined bifocal. I don't know what you need but thought I'd pass it on. I'm not sure about eye exam. I paid 40 I think but had AARP discount. I know they have different other discounts too ask what they give. Hope this helps. Carol :earsgirl:

bianca
09-14-2005, 06:05 AM
I have seen e-bay mentioned on this thread, but not in the same manner in which I have used it. On a couple of occasions, I have gone "shopping" in the regular full-price eyewear place and found great designer frames that come with a HUGE designer price tag! I simply have the salesperson write down the style #, etc. and go home to look it up on e-bay. I have been successful on 2 occasions in finding the frames I wanted. The $300+ Gucci's that I found at the eyewear store this year I found on e-bay for $3 ...... no kidding. You just have to be patient, as not all sellers are selling for the lowest possible price. It also helps to have a couple of styles in mind to look for. After receiving the frames, I take my Rx that my doctor wrote out for me and the new frame to Sam's club for the lenses. Comes out pretty cheap.

disneysteve
09-14-2005, 11:15 AM
One other thing that I don't think has been mentioned yet. You can reuse frames when your prescription changes. Just take them back to where you bought them and they can usually remove the old lenses and put in new ones. That way, you only pay for lenses which saves a lot.

OceanAnnie
09-14-2005, 12:28 PM
I have seen e-bay mentioned on this thread, but not in the same manner in which I have used it. On a couple of occasions, I have gone "shopping" in the regular full-price eyewear place and found great designer frames that come with a HUGE designer price tag! I simply have the salesperson write down the style #, etc. and go home to look it up on e-bay. I have been successful on 2 occasions in finding the frames I wanted. The $300+ Gucci's that I found at the eyewear store this year I found on e-bay for $3 ...... no kidding. You just have to be patient, as not all sellers are selling for the lowest possible price. It also helps to have a couple of styles in mind to look for. After receiving the frames, I take my Rx that my doctor wrote out for me and the new frame to Sam's club for the lenses. Comes out pretty cheap.

Bianca, I will keep that in mind! Thank you! Wow. I never thought to look for the designer frames on ebay. (It was an absolute fluke for me to find my prescription sunglasses there.)

Lots of great ideas. Thanks for this thread, OP!

wdwpluto
09-14-2005, 12:33 PM
One other thing that I don't think has been mentioned yet. You can reuse frames when your prescription changes. Just take them back to where you bought them and they can usually remove the old lenses and put in new ones. That way, you only pay for lenses which saves a lot.

Therein lies the problem. My glasses are on my face from the moment I open my eyes until the moment I close them. I can't be without them for 1 week (BJ's time frame) or even 2 days (Pearle's time frame) while they replace the lenses. I have an old pair, but I can't wear them in public (they're held together with a paperclip)

I've had my current pair for 3 1/2 years and paid almost $300 for them, so I guess I got my money worth. Sort of. I intend on keeping the new pair for at least as long, if not longer. The good thing about my new pair is that they have the clip on sunglasses attachment, so they essentially function as prescription sunglasses too.

My current pair is still in very good shape, so next time my prescription changes, I'll be able to just get new lenses.

I appreciate all the input and the web sites, but I don't think I'd ever buy online (and I'll buy just about anything online :rotfl: ) I need to try frames on, I guess I'm just too picky.

stschaefer
09-15-2005, 01:50 PM
I bought a pair of glasses for $98 at Sears - they have occasional sales - or 2 pairs for $170. This includes UV protection and shatterproof lenses. I didn't like the looks of BJ's frames or the lower priced ones at Pearl Vision. Do not have a For Eyes close by but have heard good things.

Lewisc
09-17-2005, 08:48 AM
Target is running their annual special, 2 pairs for $199. This includes no-line bifocals. There is not extra charge for strong prescriptions but you'll pay extra if you need the high index thin lenses.

mrsg00fy
09-17-2005, 09:48 AM
I bought my glasses at Sam's Club. I am very fussy and wanted fancy glasses, and shopped around until I found what i wanted. They were still somewhat costly at $227 (Zeiss Brand) but they are the frameless kind, i have the special options (non glare coating, etc) and something comparable in the mall or other eyeglass places would have cost more than $400. Also, I put money into my health spending account at work to take advantage of an additional tax savings so my out of pocket is reduced further.
Contact lenses are uncomfortable for me and are not an option for everyday.
With glasses, my view is that I wear them every day and they are a fashion accessory, much like jewelry. They are the first thing that people see when they look at your face.
I could have bought the 2/$99 at BJs, but I didn't like any of them.
BTW --I LOVE my glasses and receive compliments on them all of the time.
I buy a new pair probably every 18 months.