PDA

View Full Version : Post Your Homemade Candy Recipes!

mtblujeans
09-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Does anyone have tried-and-true homemade candy recipes they would be willing to share? For some reason, candy sounds good for the Holidays this year :teeth:

MicMin
09-10-2005, 03:35 PM
This is one of my favorites.

Maple Fudge

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup (5 fl.-oz. can) evaporated milk
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups miniature marshmallows
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) Nestle white morsels
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
2 teaspoons maple flavoring

Line a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with foil.

Combine butter, evaporated milk, sugar and salt in medium, heavy-duty saucepan. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly, over medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Stir in marshmallows, morsels, nuts and maple flavoring. Stir vigorously for 1 minute or until marshmallows are melted. Pour into prepared baking pan. Refrigerate until firm.

AprilN
09-11-2005, 03:09 PM
My DH and I made this to give as gifts to friends and co-workers last Xmas - it was definitely well-received and absolutely delicious! We made it with whole roasted, salted almonds and pecan pieces, and it turned out great. Using Silpat-lined baking sheets made it so much easier; heat the sheets in a warm oven before pouring out the candy, which gives you more time to work with it before it hardens. A digital temperature probe was also a must!

OLD-FASHIONED PEANUT BRITTLE

Recipe from Bon Appetit (via epicurious.com)

3 cups sugar
2 cups water
3/4 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup dark corn syrup
4 cups coarsely chopped salted roasted peanuts (or other nuts)
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Butter 2 heavy large baking sheets. Stir first 4 ingredients in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and boil without stirring until candy thermometer registers 260F., about 40 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Mix in peanuts and butter and cook until thermometer registers 295F., stirring constantly, about 15 minutes. Add baking soda and vanilla and stir briskly (mixture will foam up). Immediately pour out onto prepared baking sheets, dividing evenly. Spread out brittle as thinly as possible. Let stand until cold and hard.

Break brittle into pieces. Store in airtight containers at room temperature. (Can be prepared 1 month ahead.)

Makes about 3 1/2 pounds.

mtblujeans
12-27-2005, 02:40 PM
Family Fun offers this Crunchy Sesame Candy (http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefinder/printrecipe?id=40887) recipe that looks good! :dog2:

mommie2angels
12-27-2005, 05:47 PM
OK I know this is a little late but someone just gave me this recipe. I am going to try it for New Years Eve.

Oreo balls

whole pack of oreos
8 oz cream cheese soften
white almond bark

crush oreos and mix with cream cheese, roll into balls and dip in melted almond bark. Put on wax paper to set.

She said they are very rich but really good.

bubbasmom99
12-27-2005, 05:54 PM
I made the oreo truffles last year -- haven't gotten around to it yet this year. You can also use the diff. flavored oreos, like mint or peanut butter and use different candy coatings. They are very rich but who doesn't like oreos??

mtblujeans
07-19-2006, 08:39 PM
:cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

saucymb
07-19-2006, 10:10 PM
For the last 5 years or so, I've made candy and treats for my extended family for Christmas.

Every year I make:
Chocolate covered pretzels (white choc, brown choc, white w/ brown drizzle, brown w/ white drizzle, white w/ sprinkles, etc.)
Chocolate covered cherries
Peanut Butter Balls
Cream Cheese Mints
Mocha Fudge

And then I add in two or three of the following:
Sea Foam (divinity fudge to all of you non-Southerners!)
Old-fashioned fudge
Cookies (oatmeal raisin, chocolate chip, sugar)
Cheese straws
Truffles (mint, rum, oreo)
Candied or Fried pecans

I box or bag up an assortment for each family member, tie a pretty ribbon on it, and voila! Each gift ends up costing between $2 and $3, and I usually make around 40 of them (I have a huge family).

If anyone wants any of the above recipes, let me know.

ps, oh and I usually make a fun treat for the kids. One year I did caramel covered apples with chocolate drizzle and mini-m&m's, and this past year I did chocolate covered marshmallows on a stick, with sprinkles/crushed butterfingers on them, packaged three to a bag. The kids love it!

mtblujeans
07-19-2006, 11:15 PM
Peanut butter balls recipe, please. :banana:

love8me
07-20-2006, 03:39 AM
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup honey
2 cups powdered milk
1 1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
1 1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts or pecans
1 cup powdered sugar

Mix peanut butter, honey, and milk together in a large bowl to form very thick mixture. Roll mixture in small balls about the size of a walnut. Roll the balls in either the crushed cornflakes, finely chopped nuts, or powdered sugar. Place on waxed paper and refrigerate for 20 minutes.

:earboy2:

bevtoy
07-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Cheese straws please!

NHLizzie
07-24-2006, 07:24 PM
I would love the recipe for Mocha Fudge! Thanks.

Trish Bessette
07-25-2006, 01:19 PM
This one looks great! Think I'll add it to my holiday baking this year. Thank you!

This is one of my favorites.

Maple Fudge

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup (5 fl.-oz. can) evaporated milk
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups miniature marshmallows
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) Nestle white morsels
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
2 teaspoons maple flavoring

Line a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with foil.

Combine butter, evaporated milk, sugar and salt in medium, heavy-duty saucepan. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly, over medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Stir in marshmallows, morsels, nuts and maple flavoring. Stir vigorously for 1 minute or until marshmallows are melted. Pour into prepared baking pan. Refrigerate until firm.

saucymb
07-25-2006, 09:14 PM
Cheese straws please!

This is my Aunt Sandra's recipe, and they are delish!

One and a half pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
One half pound margarine, softened
One teaspoon salt
Two and a half cups all purpose flour
One quarter teaspoon red pepper

Let cheese stand til soft. Beat with mixer, add softened margarine. Add dry ingredients, mix well. Make patties or use cookie press. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

Another version: Pennies from heaven:

Cream together 2 sticks margarine, 2 cups sharp grated cheddar cheese (room temperature)

Add two cups plain flour (sifted), 1 teaspoon salt, dash of red pepper and 3 cups rice krispies. Stir well.

Form marble-sized balls, press flat. Bake at 400 for 8 minutes.

saucymb
07-25-2006, 09:18 PM
I would love the recipe for Mocha Fudge! Thanks.

This comes from my "Gifts from the Christmas Kitchen" cookbook, and it is easy-peasy and terribly yummy!

Mocha Marshmallow Fudge

1 tablespoon instant coffee
1 tablespoon boiling water
2 and a half cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 can (5 oz) evaporated milk
1 and a half cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 jar (7 oz) marshmallow creme
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Line 9-inch square baking pan with foil, extending edges over sides of pan. Lightly grease foil with butter. Dissolve coffee in water, set aside.

Place sugar, butter, and evaporated milk in medium saucepan, bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Continue boiling 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Immediately stir in reserved coffee mixture, chocolate, marshmallow creme, and vanilla. Pour into prepared pan. Let stand one hour.

Lift candy out of pan using foil. Remove foil. Cut into 1-inch squares. Cover; refrigerated until fudge is set. Makes about 2 and a half pounds or 64 pieces.

LoveWDW
07-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Here's one great for children to make, too. It's delicious and easy.

Potato Candy

Cook and mash with a fork a small peeled potato, can use prepared frozen unflavored potato, too. Add about a teaspoon of vanilla.

For a small potato, about a box of powdered sugar should be enough to make a soft dough, keep adding it gradually.

Put dough on piece of waxed paper. Put another sheet of waxed paper on top and roll out very thinly into a rectangle.

Spread a layer of peanut butter over the dough.

Use the bottom sheet of waxed paper to roll up the dough. Slice. Store in refrigerator.

saucymb
07-25-2006, 09:26 PM
One more fudge recipe, if that's okay?!?

This one came from the old-fashioned tin Hershey's Cocoa can. My mom has had this particular Cocoa tin for about 50 years or so (since she was a little girl). It still sits in her cabinet at her house even today, and she can't bring herself to just write the recipe on a card and throw out the tin, and for years I couldn't understand that, but now I kind of do. Anyway, here is the recipe for the absolute best fudge I have ever had in my entire life, and I do love my fudge. It's not the creamy fudge that you usually find in stores these days. It's more of a crunchy sort of texture, a little crumbly, sugary.

2/3 cup cocoa
3 cups sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 and a half cups milk
1/4 cup butter (my mother always used margarine though)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine cocoa, sugar, and salt in large saucepan (3 quart size). Add milk gradually, mix thoroughly. Bring to a "bubbly" boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium and continue to boil the mixture, without stirring, until it reaches 232 degrees F, or until a small amount of mixture forms a soft ball when dropped into water. Be sure thermometer bulb is not resting on bottom of pan. Remove pan from heat.

Add butter and vanilla to mixture. DO NOT STIR. Allow fudge to cool at room temperature until it reaches 110 degrees F. Beat by hand or with hand mixer until fudge thickens and loses some of its gloss. Quickly pour and spread fudge in lightly buttered 8x8x2 inch pan. Cool, cut into squares.

Now, my mom poured it into a cookie sheet lined with wax paper, so it was thinner than what it would be in the 8x8x2 inch pan. Also, this is not an easy recipe, I've personally never been able to make it successfully, though I've tried a good 6 or 7 times over the past 10 years or so. You certainly can't make it on a humid or rainy day. So if you're up to it, give it a try. Please let me know if you are successful and what your secret is, because my mom thinks I'm crazy!!!

bevtoy
07-26-2006, 09:17 AM
This is my Aunt Sandra's recipe, and they are delish!

One and a half pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
One half pound margarine, softened
One teaspoon salt
Two and a half cups all purpose flour
One quarter teaspoon red pepper

Let cheese stand til soft. Beat with mixer, add softened margarine. Add dry ingredients, mix well. Make patties or use cookie press. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

Another version: Pennies from heaven:

Cream together 2 sticks margarine, 2 cups sharp grated cheddar cheese (room temperature)

Add two cups plain flour (sifted), 1 teaspoon salt, dash of red pepper and 3 cups rice krispies. Stir well.

Form marble-sized balls, press flat. Bake at 400 for 8 minutes.

Thank-you, looks delicious!