PDA

View Full Version : upgrading ap? Is it too late?

andychris14
09-10-2005, 11:51 AM
I just got back from disney and purchased a 10day plus pass with no expiration. I am planning on returning next year and going on a 3 night disney cruise. I just booked the cruise thru an agency(not disney direct). I know that I can get my $back and rebook. This agency was the cheapest that I found.
Since I will be returning within the year, should/can I upgrade my tickets to AP? When/where can I do this? Can I just upgrade one of our tickets for the discount? We are traveling with my sister and her family. Can I get the discounts for her also?
My plan for next year:
disney 8nights
disney cruise 3 nights
Would it be cheaper in the long run for me to do this? What other discounts are there? How much is the ap?
As you can tell I am totally lost.Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ozymoe
09-10-2005, 02:01 PM
What kind of pass was it? ie: 10 day(yes) non-expiring(yes) parkhopper(?)5 plus days included(?)
What did you pay for this 10 day pass?
Where did you buy it?
How many days did you use off the pass this time?

Will you be going to DQ and/or water parks when you return?

Since your AP will be dated from the first day you used your 10 day pass, are you sure you will still be covered for the whole timeframe of your return?

Knowing these things will help us advise you.

andychris14
09-10-2005, 02:15 PM
thank you so much for future help.
10day with 5 pluses and non expiring(NO HOPPER)
I bought this pass along with a package thru AAA in August.I did not get an exact breakdown. I am sure I can find this out somewhere. I will be returning to disney before the first day that I used the pass.
I used 5days at the theme parks and 1 plus(water park).
I do not need any extra pluses for next year.I have other tickets to use at the water parks/dq.
thanks again!!!!

GoldenOldie
09-10-2005, 04:27 PM
You can apply the dollar value of the unused admissions towards a new AP that will run for one year from the day you do the transaction. The only time an AP is backdated is when you do an upgrade within 14 days of first use or the ticket (expiration or non expiration is the same). After the 14 day window has passed, you cannot upgrade the original ticket (apply the entire dollar amount paid for it towards the AP) but you can still apply the dollar value of the unused admissions towards the new one. Guest Relations will scan your ticket and tell you what your credit will be.

andychris14
09-11-2005, 12:34 PM
So I upgrade when I arrive at disney(next August). Do I call disney now, make reservations and tell them that I am an annual passholder(and am really not,yet)?
Thanks again

R4racing
09-11-2005, 09:32 PM
We upgraded an UNUSED hopper pass towards DD's annual pass and the expiration of the annual pass is one year from the PURCHASE date of the hopper pass. Her aunt had purchased the hopper pass at a Disney Store 6mo before out trip to FL. We ended up loosing approx 6mo on her annual pass and were not told of the early expiration date until after the transaction was completed.

GoldenOldie
09-12-2005, 09:57 AM
We upgraded an UNUSED hopper pass towards DD's annual pass and the expiration of the annual pass is one year from the PURCHASE date of the hopper pass. Her aunt had purchased the hopper pass at a Disney Store 6mo before out trip to FL. We ended up loosing approx 6mo on her annual pass and were not told of the early expiration date until after the transaction was completed.When the old pass is swiped by Guest Relations, the information on the computer screen including the date of purchase will default to the one of the original hopper. The CM is supposed to change that date when to the current day before finishing the transaction. Unfortunately, what happened to you happens far too often. The CM did not change the date and you got gyped out of 6 months you were entitled to on the AP.

This is exactly the reason why people have been admonished for years to check the expiration date and all information on the AP before leaving the Guest Relations window. I'm sorry it happened to your DD but it was the CM who erred, not Disney's upgrade policy. Just because a CM may look like he/she knows what they are doing doesn't always equate with them actually doing it right.

The only time an AP gets backdated is when you do the upgrade within 14 days of first use of a used ticket and can apply the entire amount paid towards the AP. The only other time this comes into play are special circumstances like the Florida resident 3 day Play ticket (6 months to do the upgrade and AP is then backdated to first use). Any new, unused ticket being upgraded should never, never, never have the AP expiration date backdated.

keishashadow
09-12-2005, 10:19 AM
The "credit" that you will receive is equal to the $amount you paid for the tix, less the usage (5/10 or 50%). You will lose the leftover plus options. We also have unused MYW tix but plan on using all the pluses before we apply them as a credit towards future tix.

The "credit" must be applied for @ guest services outside any of the parks (think there's one @ DTD too?) Since you must go to guest services to facilitate the change, you will not receive a AP voucher number in advance (i.e. will not be able to receive any AP discounts prior to the actual switch).

We're buying AP's for the 1st time this year, but need the voucher number in advance in order to obtain the DDE card for the day we arrive, so'll I plan on purchasing them soon. They don't start "ticking" until you activate the voucher @ gate.

I wasn't aware of an AP discount on DCL - what is the %?

GoldenOldie
09-13-2005, 09:17 AM
...We also have unused MYW tix but plan on using all the pluses before we apply them as a credit towards future tix.Please be aware that if you use this strategy (using all the plus options but none of the park admissions before upgrading) that you have two things to take into account. First, the upgrade must be done within 14 days of first use of any admission. Second, if you are upgrading to get APs (applying the entire amount paid for the MYW ticket within the 14 day period), you will only be allowed to upgrade to a PAP since you used the plus admissions. You will not have the option of applying a dollar value on these towards a regular AP.

If you upgrade these to a higher MYW ticket rather than a PAP, you will be required to add the Magic Plus Pack to the new ticket and the used plus options from the old one will be deducted from the new one. Disney has closed this perceived loophole in every imaginable situation.

I thought you would want to know your options before you implement your strategy.