PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Attended Financial Peace University?

strasfamily
09-09-2005, 02:51 PM
I was just wondering, there isn't a FPU that is convenient to me. If I order the kit you are supposed to buy when you attend for $139, will I be able to do a home study from it? I noticed that they sell a kit specifically for home study, but that one costs $280! I just don't want to spend the $139 and find out that most of it has to be led by an instructor.

Thanks!

DiznEeyore
09-09-2005, 04:44 PM
I wonder what's in the "kit" that can't be found in his books at the library?

DeirdreTours
09-09-2005, 05:45 PM
The concepts are simple-- you don't need a kit! Start financial "peace" by saving the $139! Check out the book from the library, read it.

tinaluis
09-09-2005, 06:17 PM
I agree with the others -- get his books from the library for free. I like most of DR's advice, but let's not forget that he's in the business to make $$. Put the $139 into your emergency fund!

disneysteve
09-09-2005, 08:19 PM
Anyone who would spend $139 or $280 to learn how to save money is totally missing the point. Go to your local library. There are plenty of great books that can help you get on the right track. Tightwad Gazette, Millionaire Next Door, Wealthy Barbar, anything by Suze Orman just to get started.

minnie1928
09-10-2005, 08:40 AM
My employer (a bank) offered the class to its employees. I asked if I could purchase the kit without actually attending the class (long story why). Anyway they let me buy the kit for $25 ( :cool1: ). The kit contained a workbook, Financial Peace revisited hardback book, envelope system, audio CDs and a computer CD of forms, screensavers, etc.

Can FPU be done without going to the class, YES! All I did was listen to the audio CDs (they are the audio of the videos shown during the classes) and read the book. After I was bit by the bug I read TMM. Knowing what I know now, I think you could get the book(s) from the library. As far as the audio, we really liked them. They are great for listening to in the car. After it was all said and done, I'm keeping the book and audio CDs and Ebaying the other pieces. So far I've re-couped my initial $25 investment and I still have more to sell!

The other thing you could do is buy the items on Ebay (books (if you can't get them at the library) and CDs) read, listen, ABSORB! :love: Once you're done with them, sell them back on Ebay and you'll have very little invested in the whole thing cash wise.

Hope that helps! Good luck! :grouphug:

Figaro1
09-10-2005, 10:22 AM
- the home study, and really enjoyed the product.

We had read The Total Money Make Over and FPU in addition to other books BEFORE we completed FPU and have to say that the FPU program adds much more than reading a books on this subject. We completed the home study for a couple of reasons, we needed a time that we both would be available, we did not want a baby sitter and we were on baby step 4 when starting FPU, and still found FPU to be beneficial to us. We set it up like a 'college night class' after the children went to bed, we popped in a DVD and went to school 'together'. It was fun, and a great way to develope a plan together. We also do plan to sell our FPU DVD's on Ebay to help pay for the inital cost. :flower:

It has been a blessing in our life.

Okiemom
09-10-2005, 11:17 AM
I am reading it now, just checked it out from the library. I am reading the Millionaire Next Door and the Automatic Millionaire. They are all good. I would just check them out, save the money!!

Lisa loves Pooh
09-10-2005, 01:42 PM
While i agree that doing what you can with the least amount of money spent is the way to go...

some people do benefit by hearing it and seeing it in person. I'm one of those people. Haven't attended a seminar--but if I did go, that would be why.

Obviously the stuff is available elsewhere.

disneysteve
09-10-2005, 04:20 PM
To follow up on Lisa's comment, I want to retract my earlier comment. Spending money in order to save money can make sense in certain situations. If you spend $139 and end up saving thousands, that isn't a bad investment at all. The point I was trying to make was that the same information is probably available without spending that much money. As others have mentioned, through ebay or your local library, you can probably get all the info.