PDA

View Full Version : The Agony Of Ding!!!!!!!

MollyBelle
09-08-2005, 01:41 PM
I've watched and waiting for days and weeks to get a Louisville to Orlando DING for October 1rst...this morning I got the sound of the ding, and clicked IMMEDIATELY on the site, and went to book, as the fares were $37!!!

ALLLLLL flights were gone. No availability whatsoever for any of the flights. I even changed the departure and return dates and still no luck.

AND THIS WAS ALL IN THE SPAN OF LESS THAN TWO MINUTES!!!!

*&%$@!!

I am sooooo disappointed over this...I know I won't see it again! I called the 800 number and they said that it could be travel agents, etc., and it's not likely to show up again...

Has anyone ever had this happen? Daggone it!

MHT

madge
09-08-2005, 01:47 PM
I've watched and waiting for days and weeks to get a Louisville to Orlando DING for October 1rst...this morning I got the sound of the ding, and clicked IMMEDIATELY on the site, and went to book, as the fares were $37!!!

ALLLLLL flights were gone. No availability whatsoever for any of the flights. I even changed the departure and return dates and still no luck.

AND THIS WAS ALL IN THE SPAN OF LESS THAN TWO MINUTES!!!!

*&%$@!!

I am sooooo disappointed over this...I know I won't see it again! I called the 800 number and they said that it could be travel agents, etc., and it's not likely to show up again...

Has anyone ever had this happen? Daggone it!

MHT

early October cheap flights out of Louisville on SWA filled up several weeks ago. Believe me, I know, LOL....I have been watching that fare for MONTHS.

Good luck!

MollyBelle
09-08-2005, 02:11 PM
Oh, I am late on the draw! Even worse!

Oh well, I guess we'll be driving at GOSH KNOWS WHAT per gallon...blechh!

Are you in Augusta? I just read Rosemary Clooney's biography! Interesting...I have family in Maysville!

MHT :flower:

gypsydoodlebug
09-08-2005, 02:16 PM
DING! fares are only available on certain flights on certain days. The October fares have been out for a while *including several DING! fares from SDF (even my original dates of Oct. 4-9 were filled about 6 weeks ago at the rare DING! fares). It is frustrating, though, as we seem to get nothing but flights to Ontario and Omaha from SDF!

minnie1928
09-08-2005, 02:51 PM
I think they should rename it DANG!

maggiew
09-08-2005, 02:57 PM
I think they should rename it DANG!

:rotfl2:

Maggie

LittleDino
09-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Sometimes a Ding! fare shows up as "unavailable" if you're buying for more than one person... but put in just "1" person as traveling and sometimes it comes back up as available. I did that this morning... I wanted to buy 2 tickets at the ding! price of $37 each... but the flight was "unavailable," so I put just 1 person in and got it... then put 1 more person in and bought a 2nd one. Somewhat of a pain, but it's a little trick that worked for me. :)

madge
09-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Oh, I am late on the draw! Even worse!

Oh well, I guess we'll be driving at GOSH KNOWS WHAT per gallon...blechh!

Are you in Augusta? I just read Rosemary Clooney's biography! Interesting...I have family in Maysville!

MHT :flower:

I was born and raised in Maysville....:)

madge
09-08-2005, 03:38 PM
Sometimes a Ding! fare shows up as "unavailable" if you're buying for more than one person... but put in just "1" person as traveling and sometimes it comes back up as available. I did that this morning... I wanted to buy 2 tickets at the ding! price of $37 each... but the flight was "unavailable," so I put just 1 person in and got it... then put 1 more person in and bought a 2nd one. Somewhat of a pain, but it's a little trick that worked for me. :)

oooh....what happens if I get to the last person and there's no more fare? ack. I'm not sure I could chance that....

LittleDino
09-08-2005, 03:48 PM
oooh....what happens if I get to the last person and there's no more fare? ack. I'm not sure I could chance that....

I don't know what their deal was today.. but I bought separate tickets for my husband and I... then suddenly it allowed me to buy two more tickets together for my sister and brother-in-law, and then 4 more tickets together for my parents and 2 more sisters. I was afraid of the last person not getting in, but it seemed like the more I bought, the more they opened up. Weird - but it worked. ;)

Also to play it safe, I had already had these flights purchased, I was just reserving the ding price, then canceling the previous reservations. It all worked out well. But you're right.. there is a slight risk.

MollyBelle
09-08-2005, 04:03 PM
...DANG! I love that -- I think I will call it that from now on too!!

I just tested the "one at a time" theory...still didn't work for me, but I wanted October 1rst and I guess that is a freakishly popular date to leave...ha.

Oh well, wasn't meant to be!

MADGE, that is cool about Maysville! My dad used to live in Aberdeen!

MHT

Martha7
09-08-2005, 04:04 PM
I don't even remember to turn the volume up on my computer speakers each morning! I'm a total DING-bat! :blush:

madge
09-08-2005, 04:13 PM
I don't know what their deal was today.. but I bought separate tickets for my husband and I... then suddenly it allowed me to buy two more tickets together for my sister and brother-in-law, and then 4 more tickets together for my parents and 2 more sisters. I was afraid of the last person not getting in, but it seemed like the more I bought, the more they opened up. Weird - but it worked. ;)

Also to play it safe, I had already had these flights purchased, I was just reserving the ding price, then canceling the previous reservations. It all worked out well. But you're right.. there is a slight risk.

well, I tried booking one at a time...but there are no discounts of any kind on Saturday, October 1 :rolleyes:

I'm happy with the fare I have out of Nashville, but it sure would have been nice to fly out of SDF.

madge
09-08-2005, 04:14 PM
MADGE, that is cool about Maysville! My dad used to live in Aberdeen!

It's a small world after all, LOL.... :teeth:

littlestix
09-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Have you considered flying out of Indianapolis??? They had a ding yesterday for about $66 R/T......just a thought.

I bought mine a couple of months ago for $82.11

madge
09-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Have you considered flying out of Indianapolis??? They had a ding yesterday for about $66 R/T......just a thought.

I bought mine a couple of months ago for $82.11

I think the OP is from central Kentucky....that's quite a drive to Indianapolis.

patmor
09-08-2005, 11:23 PM
My daughter and I got together (her on one phone and computer me on another) and were able to get 7 tickets from SDF for total of 45.30 each to Orlando, one way. Getting home was not as easy.Orlando to Louisville, we got 3 for 55.50 each, 3 for 107.90 each and the last cost 140.90. Total for 7 people to Orlando from Louisville roundtrip was $948.20. I feel very lucky. No one got left behind. Our trip is in November. We've never seen Disney decorated for Christmas. We are all so excited! :cheer2: :bounce: :banana: :rotfl2: :Pinkbounc :cool1: :rotfl:

DISNEY GUEST
09-08-2005, 11:27 PM
On the Dings fare list it will say fares good through December....however when I try to book in Dec.the pulldown menu on the reservations page only shows 4-5 days.
What am I missing or doing wrong? :confused3
DG

disney 4 5
09-09-2005, 12:06 AM
Tell me about missing one....I have been watching for great fares from either Chicago or Indy forever but yesterday one of my kids was sick...strep throat so I didn't catch the great dings yesterday from BOTH Chicago and Indy to Orlando. Oh well I guess we are driving this time.

calypso*a*go-go
09-09-2005, 01:10 AM
I have been "DING"ed more times than I care to think about and the results are always the same: The flights out of Portland (OR), stink! About the only specials they run for us are to Boise or Spokane. Aaargh!!!

littlestix
09-09-2005, 06:24 PM
I think the OP is from central Kentucky....that's quite a drive to Indianapolis.

I suppose that depends on what she considers to be a long drive. Lexington is approx. 3 hours from Indianapolis. Personally I would rater drive 3 hours to get a good rate on airfare than drive 18 -20 hours to Florida. I don't have all of her planning details, such as how many people in her party or lodging information. It could definitly be done.

lmhall2000
09-10-2005, 09:05 AM
Mollybelle, sorry to hear the ding was a dud for ya....but don't give up on it altogether...I think a big part of it has to deal with the time you're going...if you're going at a high attendance time they probably just don't have room. I was alerted to a ding for our 9/12-9/19 trip and played with the dates several times....all three times I tried I got the seats...no trouble at all...but September is a fairly low attendance time.

With gas as high as it is, we'd be paying more for gas than our tickets...we got RT for $60 each. The lowest DING fare for Delta was $118 and they give you 2 days notice before you fly! I'm SOOO happy for DING!!!

Tara

madge
09-10-2005, 09:21 AM
I suppose that depends on what she considers to be a long drive. Lexington is approx. 3 hours from Indianapolis. Personally I would rater drive 3 hours to get a good rate on airfare than drive 18 -20 hours to Florida. I don't have all of her planning details, such as how many people in her party or lodging information. It could definitly be done.

really? 3 hours? wow....it seems like it should be farther than that, LOL...but since you're from Indy, I have no doubt you know what you're talking about!

I definitely agree about 3 hours. Our original plans were to drive from Elizabethtown (south of Louisville) to Indy, which is about 3 hours, LOL....

kehouse
09-10-2005, 12:38 PM
madge, we're leaving oct.1, from e-town also! (anyone else hear "it's a small world" playing in the back of your mind?)
i got a ding a few weeks ago, sdf to orlando, but we have to go to st. louis for a connecting flight (still better than driving). i keep hoping that another ding would come up and we could change it to a non stop, probably not gonna happen, huh?
i also had to split us up, when making the reservations. luckily, i put my sisters family of 5 on first and then was able to do the other 5 of us only 1 at a time.(very nerve racking).
i'll keep my fingers crossed that the rest of you guys can get a good price. :wizard:

who else is going to be at shades of green? :wave2:

madge
09-10-2005, 01:04 PM
madge, we're leaving oct.1, from e-town also! (anyone else hear "it's a small world" playing in the back of your mind?)
i got a ding a few weeks ago, sdf to orlando, but we have to go to st. louis for a connecting flight (still better than driving). i keep hoping that another ding would come up and we could change it to a non stop, probably not gonna happen, huh?
i also had to split us up, when making the reservations. luckily, i put my sisters family of 5 on first and then was able to do the other 5 of us only 1 at a time.(very nerve racking).
i'll keep my fingers crossed that the rest of you guys can get a good price. :wizard:

who else is going to be at shades of green? :wave2:

this entire thread has me singing "It's a small world"...LOL!

the last time SDF popped up with a ding fare, I tried entering us one at a time and came up empty...we are a family of 5, as well and it was making me a nervous wreck that I would end up paying a higher fare for part of our family. While I love the convenience of the drive to Louisville, driving to Nashville isn't bad, especially for $39 each way :teeth:

Is this your first time at SoG? Enjoy!!

Are your kids on Fall Break that week?

kehouse
09-10-2005, 02:02 PM
yeah our kids are on break, i think thats why its so hard getting a seat on the plane, everyone else is too! i know several people from our area going that week.
this is our first time at sog, we're lucky enough to have friends going with us that can get us a room .
btw, i saw on your blog that your near cecilia, we're in rineyville :wave2:

madge
09-10-2005, 02:10 PM
yeah our kids are on break, i think thats why its so hard getting a seat on the plane, everyone else is too! i know several people from our area going that week.
this is our first time at sog, we're lucky enough to have friends going with us that can get us a room .
btw, i saw on your blog that your near cecilia, we're in rineyville :wave2:

I think you'll like SoG :) We stayed there in April...the walk to the Poly is very peaceful. The rooms are huge, the pool is nice, the food at Evergreens is tasty...it's a fantastic value for the money!

Have a great trip!

disynut
09-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Okay--had to add in my name and my frustration with Ding. I actually snagged a few great rates for December a few weeks ago...first I booked a great rate from Nashville to Tampa, then got dinged for a great one from Nashville to ORlando...we have to arrive super late our first night(Dec. 18) which I really don't want to do, but arriving/departing Orlando was worth it. I hope to change it in the coming weeks to an earlier flight on the 18th, or even flying in on the 17th or late night on the 16th. But now all the DIng fares seem to stop on the 18th! Also, just an FYI, when I changed mine from Tampa to Orlando, I tried to just change one leg of my Ding flights, and they(first tried online and then called) wouldn't let me....you have to cancel the whole trip and rebook.

OH....and I am in Western Kentucky!!! We live 2-2 1/2 hours from the Nashville airport--which is the closest major airport! But it will still be cheaper for us to fly this December!!! I am 1 1/2 hours from Elizabethtown!

Jen

mareed
09-10-2005, 10:21 PM
Also, just an FYI, when I changed mine from Tampa to Orlando, I tried to just change one leg of my Ding flights, and they(first tried online and then called) wouldn't let me....you have to cancel the whole trip and rebook.
Jen

I don't think it can help you this time, but this issue is why I always book one-ways with Southwest, so that if only one way is available at a lower Ding rate, I can rebook. Something to keep in mind for next time!