PDA

View Full Version : Large Family Accomodations that won't break the bank

Reese
09-07-2005, 11:52 AM
I have a house booked in Orlando but after reading this board I would really like to stay on site. We have five kids and don't want to book two seperate rooms. We're looking at maybe camping but I'll be about seven months pregnant at the time so camping is not my first choice. I was just wondering how people with large families stay on Disney economically?

Okiemom
09-07-2005, 11:57 AM
IF you have 5 kids, you will most likely need to get two rooms. You can do the value resorts, 2 rooms, maybe with AAA discount. But not sure it will be as cheap as doing offsite. But the convience would be nice with that many kids. We have 3, and enjoyed being on site, using their own transportation.

Kacey
09-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Have you considered Disney Vacation Club? You could rent points for a 2 bedroom villa at any of the Vacation Club Resorts. There is a DVC Rent/Trade Board in the forums that will give you more information.

indylaw99
09-07-2005, 12:23 PM
I would definitely look into DVC points. You get a kitchen, a porch, and multiple bedrooms. We love it!!

bonkos6
09-07-2005, 12:27 PM
At the value rooms, you could ask for 2 adjoining rooms. That's what we did last April and it worked great for us. :goodvibes

disneysteve
09-07-2005, 12:32 PM
I was just wondering how people with large families stay on Disney economically?
They don't. As noted, with 7 people you either need 2 rooms or DVC rental, neither of which is economical compared to renting a house offsite. Plus, with the house you get a full kitchen, living room, private pool, maybe even a computer and videogame system. I'd stick with the house. You won't be sorry.

RichNKatHolly
09-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Having strictly stayed on site until this past January, I am very excited at the idea of booking a private pool home whenever we decide to visit again. So much more room. Onsite is great too, but there is the price. You would need two rooms at any resort or a DVC rental. Can get pricey unless you do 2 rooms at AS.

Good luck deciding. You'll have fun wherever you go. Staying offsite this past trip did not take anything away from our experience IMO. We did rent a car though.

princess mom of 4
09-07-2005, 12:39 PM
My family has booked two connecting rooms at PopCentury this October. Used rack rate to get free dining, so each room is $77 = $154/night. I doubt you could book a house/condo for that. Y :cool1: ou get two bathrooms, two Tv's, etc. I don't want a kitchen or laundry as I am not doing any cooking (other than making coffee!!) or clothes washing - I am on vacation for crying out loud!

mareed
09-07-2005, 01:01 PM
My family has booked two connecting rooms at PopCentury this October. Used rack rate to get free dining, so each room is $77 = $154/night. I doubt you could book a house/condo for that. Y :cool1: ou get two bathrooms, two Tv's, etc. I don't want a kitchen or laundry as I am not doing any cooking (other than making coffee!!) or clothes washing - I am on vacation for crying out loud!

I've booked a 3 bedroom/3 bath townhome at Windsor Palms over Thanksgiving for
$95 per night. It sleeps 8, and those 3 bathrooms will sure come in handy! I love being able to do a quick load of laundry and eat breakfast at "home" before heading to the parks. We do no other cooking. Have also rented a 5 bedroom/4 bath villa with pool over XMAS for $170/night (slept 12), so you can definitely find quite a few options to handle your 7 for way less than 2 rooms at Disney!

disneysteve
09-07-2005, 01:02 PM
each room is $77 = $154/night. I doubt you could book a house/condo for that. You get two bathrooms, two Tv's, etc.
Actually, you can rent a house for considerably less than $154/nite. For about $100/nite, you can definitely rent a 3-bedroom house and can probably get a 4-bedroom house in October for that price. That gets you sleeping accomodations for 8-10 people, 2-3 bathrooms, multiple tvs, a kitchen, laundry room, garage and tons of space.

You may not plan to cook, but it is nice to have a full size fridge and freezer to keep snacks, drinks, freeze water bottles, etc. Even nice to have a dining table if you want to do takeout or have a pizza delivered.

Plus you get a private pool and maybe a hot tub just for you and your family and it is totally screened in which is nice.

paladin
09-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Note though that the $154.00 per night does include dining.

my3kids
09-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Is one of the 5 a cild under 3? If yes, you can book the Ft. Wilderness Cabins. While in the campground, these most definatley are not camping. You have 1 bedroom with a double bed and a set of bunks. The living room has a double murphy bed. We put our kids in the bedroom and we took the murphy bed. This worked great because we could cook breakfast (Full kitchen) and shower before waking up the children. Housekeeping comes daily, just like the hotels. They will even do your dishes! There was a nice bathroom with plenty of towels and Mickey soap. :sunny:

disneysteve
09-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Note though that the $154.00 per night does include dining.
Thanks. I missed that fact. That would tip the scales financially in favor of the onsite accomodations. Though I still prefer the convenience and accomodations offsite over the onsite rooms, that's just personal preference.

Reese
09-07-2005, 01:47 PM
How did you book the adjoining room and is there an extra charge for this.

Also about the Cabins, does it come with linen and everything like that? I can't help but think cottage where you have to bring your own pillow, sheets and dishes ect. Also do they have heat and a/c? In Feb. never know what you'll need from what I've heard.

I'm just thinking that the convenience of being onsite and not having to drive to get anywhere would save us on renting a van. Also the perks of being on resort sound fun.

my3kids
09-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Absolutely, the cabins are fully furnished. There is daily maid service to clean the unit, the bathrooms have corian or corian like counters, the kitchen is a full size. There is a grill on the porch and neighbors aren't right next to you if one of the kids gets fussy. There is room to stretch out. The beds get made each day by housekeeping, just like a hotel; same with towels, tey get switched. It was a really nice place to stay. We stayed in AKL concierge last time, but the kids all said they did miss the cabin. Even down to the phone....just a regular phone with 1 button dialing to housekeeping, dining reservations...whatever. Yes, heat and air conditioning, all dishes, etc.:flower:

kizmac
09-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Get your in-laws or parents to go with you and let them pay for the other room and board some of your kids with them. :teeth:

That's what we're doing because we have 6 kids. Our parent's always travel with us though. If we were going ourselves, I would be booking a house off site I believe or doing two rooms at Pop or Movies.

MELSMICE
09-07-2005, 02:14 PM
How did you book the adjoining room and is there an extra charge for this.
There is no additional charge for adjoining rooms. You just mention that you need them connecting/adjoining when you make your reservation. I think it would be connecting you would want - where you have a door between the 2 rooms.

Also about the Cabins, does it come with linen and everything like that? I can't help but think cottage where you have to bring your own pillow, sheets and dishes ect. Also do they have heat and a/c? In Feb. never know what you'll need from what I've heard.
The cabins are just like staying in a resort room. All linens, heat, a/c, daily mousekeeping. You'll also have a full kitchen if you want to eat some meals in your rooms.

I'm just thinking that the convenience of being onsite and not having to drive to get anywhere would save us on renting a van. Also the perks of being on resort sound fun.
Yes, it would save you from renting a van. When you figure out the cost of your accommodations on-site remember you wouldn't need a van. When you figure out the off-site cost remember to include a van rental.

You are going in February? If you rented a 2BR at OKW for a full week it would be 196 pts. @ approximately $10/pt would be $1,960 divided by 7 nights would be about $280/night. This is the final cost, as there is no tax when you rent points.

You may be able to get 2 rooms at a Value for less - don't forget to take tax into consideration. Also, take into consideration that a cabin would have 1 bath but include a kitchen; 2 rooms would obviously have 2 baths, no kitchen; & a 2BR would have 2 baths & a kitchen. If you would want a fridge you can rent them at the values for about $10/day (unless the price has gone up).

Good luck. I'd put everything on paper & weigh the pros & cons of each place. :)

Reese
09-07-2005, 02:28 PM
You guys have given me a lot to consider. We originally booked the house because the in-laws and my parents would be coming. The in-laws got a new dog they can't leave and my grandma's health isn't the greatest so my parents have decided they can't come either. So it seems we don't need this huge house and if we cancel and they rent it we get everything but $25 back.

With this being our first and last major family vacation for awhile I want to make it wonderful. I also don't want to be doing dishes and cleaning, that's what I found appealing with the dining plan.

It seems we can get a better rate if we move our vacation up by about three weeks too. We're from Canada so the weather should feel pretty nice to us even if it is chilly. I like the idea for the fridge though since we are water junkies it would be nice to have cold water in the room and possibly frozen waters for in the park. Do you just request a fridge when you make your reservation?

can'twait
09-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Wait? They do the dishes?! Sign me up!

:rotfl:

MELSMICE
09-07-2005, 03:37 PM
With this being our first and last major family vacation for awhile I want to make it wonderful. I also don't want to be doing dishes and cleaning, that's what I found appealing with the dining plan.
FYI - If you did go with renting points, you don't get daily mousekeeping. You'd get trash & tidy 1/2 way through the vacation. On the other days you would need to make your own beds & straighten up. Pluses, however, they do have a dishwasher & a washer/dryer.

I like the idea for the fridge though since we are water junkies it would be nice to have cold water in the room and possibly frozen waters for in the park. Do you just request a fridge when you make your reservation?
Yes, you request the fridge when you make your reservation. These are dorm size - not full size. Again, I think they are $10/day, unless the cost has risen. You pay for these in the values only - not the moderates & deluxes.

chasbos
09-07-2005, 05:22 PM
We stayed at the Holiday Inn Family Suites last time we went to Disney (it is now Nickelodeon but still Holiday Inn)

We are a family of 6 but there are beds to sleep 7 in 3 different rooms. Also, there is a kitchen area with a microwave and fridge.

They have free shuttle service to and from Disney all through the day - we drove from Canada and our van did not move the entire time we were there.

We paid $150 a night and that included breakfast for everyone and then the kids also got supper when DH and I ordered off the menu.

It has a huge pool area and activities throughout the day. It is very kid friendly and I would stay there again.

Just a thought!

shaylahc
09-07-2005, 05:32 PM
We are going in Sept. with our 4 kids and we booked adjoining rooms at the Pop. Taking advantage of the free dining plan, too, that will save us a TON of money! :sunny:

Belle5
09-08-2005, 12:43 AM
Mom of 6 responding here! We have stayed at WDW using many different kinds of accomodations. We are planning our 20th visit for this January. I have been to WDW while pregnant on several occasions.

FW cabins--is your youngest under 3? This is a lovely place to stay if your kids are mostly young. As they get bigger it will feel a little cramped --especially with one bathroom.

Connecting rooms at a moderate WDW resort--If your kiddos are all small you might even consider a value. I suggest a moderate while pregnant for many reasons--the main reason is for better support from your bed. CBR always gets a lot of compliments for mattress comfort. The more children you have the bigger of an issue this becomes. Two bathrooms is a huge plus. CBR has the largest floorplan giving you more room. Request a location that will cut down on your walking as the resort is HUGE!!!

Off-site condo or house--if you research carefully you can find a beautiful property near WDW for a very reasonable price. I found that a jacuzzi in the master suite to be so therapeutic after a long day of walking! The washer and dryer in the condo allows you to pack less clothing for your large family. I can't tell you what a blessing that is!

You absolutely must stay close enough to WDW to allow you to get back to your bed to rest each afternoon. I cannot stress this enough. Don't try to "do it all". Slow is the name of the game...

Let us know what you decide! :earsgirl:

Reese
09-08-2005, 07:27 AM
Dh phones the reservation line yesterday. We've got two connecting rooms in All Star Movies with a fridge and the dining plan. One room has a king size bed and we'll be requesting a pull out cot too. It comes to the same price as what we were going to be spending for three days at Disney food and the house rental for a week. I'm so excited. We moved our trip up two weeks (not telling the kids though). An entire week without having to cook (other than microwave popcorn LOL). :cheer2:

I really wanted to stay on resort as this way Ds and I can sneek back for an afternoon nap and with the extended hours we won't feel as much pressure to do it all now.

Thank you everyone for all your advice. As this is our first trip I am incredibly green so this is great.

crisi
09-08-2005, 07:52 AM
One thing to be aware of is that connecting rooms aren't guarenteed....Oh, they will tell you they are guarenteed, and you almost always get them. But in a very booked hotel they've been known to tell people "sorry." There was a rather long thread on the resort board about it.

christinadei
09-08-2005, 08:11 AM
One thing to be aware of is that connecting rooms aren't guarenteed....Oh, they will tell you they are guarenteed, and you almost always get them. But in a very booked hotel they've been known to tell people "sorry." There was a rather long thread on the resort board about it.

No, they are guaranteed if the adjoining room is for kids. Besides, you aren't going at a really busy time, so it shouldn't be an issue for you.

I think you made a great decision and will love staying onsite! It makes everything so much easier! Plus you are in the magic 24/7. You guys will have a great time! :earsboy:

Reese
09-08-2005, 08:49 AM
I read that they weren't really guaranteed and paniced. It's a relief to know that they really are and we thought that since we are going in Feb it shouldn't be an issue anyways. Dh said worse comes to worse he takes the boys for the night and I take the girls for a night and we make such a fuss that they have it for us the next day.

RichNKatHolly
09-08-2005, 09:34 AM
I read that they weren't really guaranteed and paniced. It's a relief to know that they really are and we thought that since we are going in Feb it shouldn't be an issue anyways. Dh said worse comes to worse he takes the boys for the night and I take the girls for a night and we make such a fuss that they have it for us the next day.

You have a great attitude and that will make for a wonderful vacation no matter where you stay! If more people thought of things that way ....

Enjoy!!! :sunny: