PDA

View Full Version : Halloween costumes on Ebay- Buyer Beware

DisneyFan09
09-06-2005, 03:12 PM
I just wanted to give everyone a heads up about some things I ran across on Ebay. I'm sure most of you already know this but after recently being ripped off by a seller on ebay (not a costume purchase) I feel compelled to prevent people from being misled. First of all, I have found out that sellers can put anything they want in their descriptions whether it's true or not! Today while looking through Halloween costumes on Ebay I came across several that said they were from the Disney Store. I have worked at the Disney Store for 3 1/2 years and most of the costumes listed were ones that I didn't recognize. Granted some may have been bought before I worked at the store but most of the descriptions listed them as only a year or 2 old. Just because it is a Disney character does not mean it was bought at The Disney Store. I think people may be paying more for an item believing it is Disney Store quality only to receive something altogether different. Some of these costumes didn't look anywhere near as nice as what we have at the stores or in the catalog. The rule of thumb is that if it is from the Disney Store it will have a tag on the inside of the clothing that says: Disney Store!! I even asked several sellers whether the item they were selling had this tag in it but did not receive any responses. I even went so far as to contact a couple of bidders to tell them to be sure to ask about the tag (I don't know if that is okay to do or not but at this point I don't really care).

I just want everyone to be careful and be sure to ask lots of questions before bidding. Most seller's are perfectly honest but I have found out the hard way that some are most definitely not.

can'twait
09-06-2005, 03:32 PM
When I looked into buying Disney costumes on ebay a month or two ago, I noticed there weren't any bargains. Most had starting bids around the same $ amount as brand new costumes. Also, I looked at other online costume stores that claimed to sell costumes that were "authorized by" Disney, but they did NOT look the same as the ones in the Disney catalog. They had different styles, colors, you name it, so I decided to go directly to the source. I admit I usually buy "bargain" costumes from the local party store but I broke down and purchased the genuine article from Disneydirect this time because we are going to MNSSHP, and when the costumes arrived I was pleasantly surprised. They are very good quality, and totally worth $35 each. I still say it's a shame to pay that much for something you will wear one day, but at least this year the kids will wear them twice, and I did get free shipping on both costumes, and $10 off one of them. Naturally I found a discount of 25% off costumes for Disney Visa cardholders AFTER I placed the order, argh!

I have not been burned yet on ebay, but I have only bought a few things. I have learned from friends to check the seller's feedback to find out if there are any negative comments, BEFORE you place a bid. :rolleyes1

Good luck everyone!

:goodvibes

welovedis
09-06-2005, 07:20 PM
I agree that many sellers misrepresent their items, whether intentionally or unintentionally and this is a good reminder, regardless of what you are buying, to ask questions and be certain that you will receive what you *think* you are bidding on.

Also--Disney costumes do really great on eBay. An auction of mine ended today for an Aladar costume that my DS wore for 2 consecutive years (his choice) for more than $40! I also sold a used (4 year old) Buzz costume that he wore for 2 years (see a trend here, lol!) for over $20. They definitely keep their value.

OP--Just an FYI, I know you said you don't care if it is not ok to contact the bidder, but eBay considers it auction interference and can do the following if you are reported by the bidder:
"Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation
Limits on account privileges
Account suspension
Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings
Loss of PowerSeller status "

Just thought you would like to know that info. I wish there was some way to warn buyers of the potential problems that may lie ahead but you just can't do that, at least on eBay. it is nice of you to think of warning them, just hate to see something happen to your account because of it. :)

A Mickeyfan
09-06-2005, 07:40 PM
I have noticed that on even some of the clothes. When something came from the Disney Store, it has the tag on the inside. You can see the tag on some of the items & you know they didn't come from the Disney Store.

kizmac
09-06-2005, 07:41 PM
I just got taken on Ebay buying a halloween costume for my son for MNSSHP. The seller listed a bunch of costumes and ended them all the same day wanted payment within 3 days and that was 8/17........none of us have received our costumes and she isn't answering emails. I'm just bummed because it was such a cute costume.

Anyhow, as for the Disney Costume thing.....I had trouble with a seller who I bought a Belle costume off. She claimed it was bought in Disney World and only worn an afternoon in the Magic Kingdom. Tag said The Disney Store. Definitely not purchased in the Magic Kingdom. So buyer beware I guess. It's still a nice costume, but I would NOT of bid as much as I did. I did notice that many are selling those hard, scratchy, Walmart costumes so you really got to watch.

nuke
09-06-2005, 08:55 PM
Another thing, I was looking for Yu Gi Oh! Costumes and the person had NEW in the title. When reading the description it said worn one time. Sorry but worn any time is used.

Also someone had one listed and they were a broker and it would be shipped when stock came in within 1-2 weeks. Nope, not for me!
Make sure you read the descriptions!!

As far as Disney Costumes, I've done really well selling my son's after he as worn them. My favorite sell was a Captain Hook costume I bought on clearance at the Disney STore for 2.95. My son wore it two years and I sold it for $65!! His buzz costume and Prince PHillip costume also went for more than I paid for them. :confused3

marcyinPA
09-06-2005, 10:44 PM
Another thing, I was looking for Yu Gi Oh! Costumes and the person had NEW in the title. When reading the description it said worn one time. Sorry but worn any time is used.

Also someone had one listed and they were a broker and it would be shipped when stock came in within 1-2 weeks. Nope, not for me!
Make sure you read the descriptions!!

As far as Disney Costumes, I've done really well selling my son's after he as worn them. My favorite sell was a Captain Hook costume I bought on clearance at the Disney STore for 2.95. My son wore it two years and I sold it for $65!! His buzz costume and Prince PHillip costume also went for more than I paid for them. :confused3

Our Disney Store costumes have always re-sold very well too. I sold my Ds's Zurg costume last year ...I think it went for $40 or something like that....but I bought it for $12 on clearance! Same with Peter Pan...sold for way more than I purchased it for.

kilee
09-06-2005, 11:09 PM
My Halloween costumes go well no matter where they are from. Actually we look all year at rummage sales for them. We list them as they are-- if they say Disney Store we put it in there-- if they aren't we write exactly what is on the tag. The funny thing is it rarely effects the price.

I wouldn't be emailing the bidders about this. You could get into a lot of trouble w/ ebay and is it really worth it?

tazleiten12
09-06-2005, 11:38 PM
I have some Halloween costume's to put up on ebay. When do you all think would be a good time to list? Now, in October or ??
THANKS! :flower:

cteddiesgirl
09-06-2005, 11:50 PM
I have some Halloween costume's to put up on ebay. When do you all think would be a good time to list? Now, in October or ??
THANKS! :flower:

I'd do it now. People are already thinking of costumes.

Most Disney stuff sells really well on ebay. Especially the stuff that can be hard to get the following year. :)

DisneyFan09
09-07-2005, 12:35 AM
I agree that many sellers misrepresent their items, whether intentionally or unintentionally and this is a good reminder, regardless of what you are buying, to ask questions and be certain that you will receive what you *think* you are bidding on.

Also--Disney costumes do really great on eBay. An auction of mine ended today for an Aladar costume that my DS wore for 2 consecutive years (his choice) for more than $40! I also sold a used (4 year old) Buzz costume that he wore for 2 years (see a trend here, lol!) for over $20. They definitely keep their value.

OP--Just an FYI, I know you said you don't care if it is not ok to contact the bidder, but eBay considers it auction interference and can do the following if you are reported by the bidder:
"Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation
Limits on account privileges
Account suspension
Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings
Loss of PowerSeller status "

Just thought you would like to know that info. I wish there was some way to warn buyers of the potential problems that may lie ahead but you just can't do that, at least on eBay. it is nice of you to think of warning them, just hate to see something happen to your account because of it. :)

Thanks for the advice about Ebay. I knew I shouldn't have done it and now that I've cooled off I'm thinking a bit more clearly. I just had a really bad experience and am so furious that people like this continue to get away with scamming people.

I know Disney merchandise does well on Ebay especially Disney Store/Disney Direct/Disney World I guess that's why people sometimes lie in their descriptions. I just worry that people will actually mistake some of this poor quality stuff for the real thing. Not everyone knows to look for the Disney Store or Disney World tag and believe me after seeing some of the stuff that people try to return to the store I know!!

missmulan
09-07-2005, 12:38 AM
OP, I applaud you for trying to keep things clean for disers who are buying costumes on eBay. Unfortunately, you cannot "police" these bad sellers who misrepresent themselves. And unfortunately, by the time eBay gets around to it, the auction will end. The only time they might expedite investigation is if it happened to themselves (hate to say it but true).

THank you for posting your insight and observation!

DisneyFan09
09-07-2005, 09:21 AM
missmulan - I know you're right and I certainly don't want to get in trouble for being an Ebay vigilante, but is anyone policing these people? It's so frustrating and disappointing that this continues to happen and people like me who are not real Ebay savvy get sucked in!

I think I will be steering clear of Ebay for quite awhile.

eeyore45
09-07-2005, 09:40 AM
I know what you mean all too well Disneyfan09!! I too have given up, or scared away from ebay!!

We ran into the "drop Shipment" problem, which may be what happened to a Diser that posted... (Kizmac) has anyone seen or heard commercials about learning how to be an ebay seller but not having to warehouse anything?? Its the dropship method that an ebay seller is listing items they are not in possssion of, even if they 'technicly own' the item... we had ordered a special name brand waterproof, windproof, winter coat... based on price (of course) and style/color... and like Kizmac, the seller stopped answering emails from more than just us... dh did some digging found out this seller was actually a college professor near where we live... he eventually got a shipment in, but it wasnt what was advertized - it was a WHITE coat!! (same brand, but an earlier model)

So like a lot of people that learned the hard way... buyer beware!

crazywig
09-07-2005, 09:44 AM
I just got taken on Ebay buying a halloween costume for my son for MNSSHP. The seller listed a bunch of costumes and ended them all the same day wanted payment within 3 days and that was 8/17........none of us have received our costumes and she isn't answering emails. I'm just bummed because it was such a cute costume.

if you paid thru paypal you can file for a refund. you have 45 days i believe.

remyandhollandsmommy
09-07-2005, 10:16 AM
I have bought DS costumes off ebay and always ask for a pic of the tag if I am in doubt. I reconize most of the costumes though. I always hit the DS costume sales though and just sold some princess costumes Remy said were itchy (the lacey parts) and did great w/ them! Her Ariel alone got 32.00; I bought it for under 10.00 at the DS last year and this yrs costume isn't as pretty IMO. My big seller though was Holly's 12m Minnie Mouse costume w/ ears headband..it sold for 56.00!! The buyer said she REALLY wanted that headband LOL.

One thing that shocked me though is that the Incredibles Violet costumes are going for well over 70.00 on ebay! Looks like that is this year's JoJo costume.

kizmac
09-07-2005, 10:21 AM
if you paid thru paypal you can file for a refund. you have 45 days i believe.

I did file. The seller hasn't responded..I think they have 10 days and then it's decided in my favor if they don't respond. I doubt she has any money in her account so I will then have to go through my CC co. I'm just glad I happened to use my cc. Usually use my bank account and if I had I probably would not get a dime back like the last time I was ripped off.

She did respond to the Ebay complaint saying it was mailed on the 21st but didn't respond when I asked if she had a postal receipt. She has never once answered a private email. :sad2:

Oh well, out of the many hundreds of Ebay transactions, this is only my second out right loss, outside of the broken items or misrepresented items. It does tend to keep me from Ebaying for a while when I get burned so that's a good thing. :teeth:

cteddiesgirl
09-07-2005, 01:04 PM
For anyone, who is interested in "policing" ebay sellers, If you know a listing is purposefully missrepresented, you can report that seller to ebay its self.
I've done that several times with sellers that have listed what are obviously to me bootleg Disney movies.
Sometimes ebay takes action and sometimes it doesn't. But you can only try.

And of course, tell everyone here about those sellers. :)

DMRick
09-07-2005, 05:50 PM
And of course, tell everyone here about those sellers. :)
I think that would only be fair if the seller was invited here to tell her side of the story. I'm sure it isn't the case here, but I had a buyer (or I should say a non buyer), who bought in June, and didn't pay. She now has her third strike and sent me payment through Paypal in September (I no longer have the item) hoping I'll take back the strike I gave her, so she can be reinstated. I refunded it. She has posted on a couple of boards, to beware of me, that she paid and I never sent. I posted the truth, but I have no idea where else she posted. I shoud thank her, since sales were up the day she first posted.

DisneyFan09
09-07-2005, 11:28 PM
I will continue to warn others about bad sellers that I have dealt with and people can make their own decisions from there. I agree that there are usually 2 sides to the story but the people that I've dealt with lately have done nothing but lie so there's no guarantee to get accurate information either way. If I were a seller on Ebay I would want the bad apples weeded out, they just make everyone look bad. JMHO!

Poohnatic
09-08-2005, 12:14 AM
I have several older costumes that I plan to list, but I'll be listing them as worn. DS9 had the Mike Wazowski costume on for all of two hours, and because the shoe covers on those were huge, they are worn threadbare in a couple of spots.

I'm sure some child will be so happy to have that costume that it won't matter-but I will be sure to post a picture of the feet.

I guess after getting burned a few times, I tend to list everything about my stuff!

Suzanne

Chicago526
09-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Hmmm...sounds like I should hit the Disney Store after Halloween. I could clean up next year!!!