PDA

View Full Version : Week of Sep 4 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

chimera
09-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in the 2006 and/or 2007 Disney Half or Full marathons. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=725285)
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator (http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm)

Welcome kathcoll! :wave: Always nice to have another Goofy in our midst! :dog: What kind of training schedule do you use?

Cam...wtg on your 5K! :banana: :banana: :banana: Great pace and wow what an improvement over your last race! It's cool that DD's running with you now, too! Love the family photo! Hi, Howard!

Nancy...glad your house is finally ready, but sorry about the moving.

And sorry to be so slow posting the new thread. We spent the weekend in Gainesville and just got back today. My FIL's 70th birthday was this weekend in Jacksonville, so we decided to stay in G'ville to split up the drive. Didn't think the wild todd would appreciate 5 hours in the car and it gave us a chance to check out our old haunts.

My 5 miles on Friday was a stonker! :mad: It was hot and gross, my pace was slow...just no fun at all. I'm glad I doubled up the training weeks...if I had to move on from that one, I'd be worried about doing 6 miles. Hopefully, this week's 5 miler will be better. Today's intervals were ok...back to a 15:28 pace. I'd like to get that down to 15:00 pace, maybe even 14:30 by race weekend!

Good training everyone!

chimera
09-05-2005, 05:41 PM
:wizard: Just bumping this thread above last week's :bitelip:

Lisa loves Pooh
09-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Wow--haven't been here in a while--wrapped up in Katrina (don't live there--used to many years ago, so personal interest in the goings on).

Anyway---I did 4 miles on saturday pushing a jogging stroller--tough work. We were on our own this week and decided to convene--and I don't get a sitter on those days. Everyone else did 5--but the stroller was just getting to me. I think part of it was for 2 weeks in a row...I skipped a workout day. Well I remember really quick why that was a bad idea.

Did 2 miles today--tomorrow is cross training--back to Pilates. Didn't do those last week either and paying the price.

monte
09-05-2005, 06:41 PM
I need to hear a few "you can do it" and "don't give up". :guilty:

TiffJ
09-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Monte- You CAN DO IT! Don't give up! If I can do it anyone can! (although I haven't actually done it yet) Hopefully the heat will start slacking off a bit & making it easier for everyone to train. This is a great place for support. I am a non-athlete who is trying to become one in the next 18 weeks. If you have had a bad week training, blow it off, forget about it & start anew tomorrow. From what everyone here says it is definately worth the effort.

Lisa-4 miles with a stroller is nothing to sneeze at!

Keenercam-great photo. I love putting a face with the name. That's a great race time too! My first 5k is 9/24. Cant wait.

chimera-that's my goal too. I want to go to the race with a sub 15 min mile.

I've been pressure washing & doing yard work all weekend. "cross training" :rotfl:

Have a great week!

aladdinsgirl
09-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Hello everyone!! I hope everyone is enjoying an extra day off. I haven't done much today, so it's been very relaxing. That's what Labor Day is for, right?

I vow to never again to use the treadmill unless there's 5 feet of snow on the ground. Yesterday I did my 3 miles and for the first time in 2 weeks I wogged outside. I thought it was going to kill me. You just don't realize how much more impact there is on your legs running outside as opposed to on the treadmill. I finished my 3 miles in 38-something, I forget my exact time, but my pace was 12:42. So really, not too terrible, but I had a hard time getting going. This morning I got up and did my 32 minutes of walk/run, I did 2.47 miles and my pace was 13:01. My pace hasn't been that low in probably 3 weeks, but I contribute that to running Sunday afternoon at 5:00 and then Monday morning at 9:00. I don't know how you Goofy people do it!! Oh, and I have some Stephen news (thanks Carrie for asking), he started running on it again last week and so far so good. He's been icing after every run and taking ibprofin.

Monte--You CAN do it!!! Please DON'T give up!

Cam--So happy for you on your 5K time!! You have made some serious improvements over the last few months. I think you're well on your way to becoming a big :dog: By the way, that's a great family picture! How wonderful that your family is so active.

Mel--I meant to tell you last week, congrats on the Bucs big win. I just saw that Hines Ward signed a 4 year contract for $27.5 million!! I am so psyched!! :cheer2:

aladdinsgirl
09-05-2005, 07:43 PM
I don't know what happened, I wasn't finished!! Anyway....

Susan--I can't even gloat over Thursday's victory. The Steelers looked horrible. What's up with Rothlisberger? 4 preseason games and not one TD. He has 6 days to get his act together.

Carrie--I'm keeping the football discussion alive. Lions looked good on Friday night too. Stephen has family in MI--Grand Rapids and Mount Pleasant, so I usually keep up with the Li-downs so we can talk football at family functions.

I can't remember now what I was going to say, so I'll just say happy training and stay safe!

Krista princess:

goingthedistance
09-05-2005, 10:20 PM
Greetings everybody!

Monte--(and anyone else who needs it)--YOU CAN DO IT! DO NOT GIVE UP AT ALL!! It is still early in the training and discouragement is normal. But that is part of the marathon. In my opinion, the marathon is not the 13.1 or 26.2 (or the 39.3 for some of us crazy goofy people :earseek: ). The marathon is the training process. Most of us will be training for months and months. It takes dedication and persistence to stay with something for that long. Sure, the training runs are long and they can be rough, but we will make it! It is all about the positive attitude. We are all here for each other.

Even I have had my doubts lately about the Goofy. I ran a half on Sunday, and about mile 11 I was thinking to myself "I'm going to try and do a marathon the next day. I am crazy...there is no way I can do this :scared1: ." Then I reminded myself "No, I can't do this tomorrow. But I am not going to do this tomorrow. I have many weeks of training and preparation left. I might not be able to do a marathon tomorrow, but I KNOW I can do the Half and Full in back-to-back days in January :cheer2: "

I finished my half and felt good afterwards. I was going to run today to see how my body responds to running the next day after a half, but too many other things (ok, football game :teeth: ) got in the way. My time in the half was 2:21; (I have no idea what category dog that makes me :dog: ) it is good enough to keep the sweeper bus far away from me.

Happy training everyone, stay injury-free, and remain positive. We will make it together!

Paul

NYcpa
09-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Paced Lynne for her 8 mile run today on bike. She did a tri on Sat. Here is a picture of her new bike and going into the finish. Lynne is number 129. She spent the run running down the women who she eventually passed before the finish line.

www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2121153352

I am finally getting back into exercising after the shoulder surgery 3.5 weeks ago. I still have to be careful not to be over zealous with movement in the shoulder. I have to work on getting my endurance and speed built up. It is finally cooler here and easier to exercise.

Lynne has the theory she must punish herself each time she rides her bike. After each ride she has to run 20 min. It will help her with the bike to run transition for future triathlons.

panthergirl
09-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Susan--I can't even gloat over Thursday's victory. The Steelers looked horrible. What's up with Rothlisberger? 4 preseason games and not one TD. He has 6 days to get his act together.

Krista - I was surprised as well although I think our defense is awesome and most teams are going to have a tough time against us. How about our first string offense? Jake really has it going this year. I have to believe that Cowher will have your guys ready for opening day. Maybe he's just playing possum!

I did my long run on Saturday - 5.3 miles in 1:14. The weather was gorgeous. Then on Sunday my trainer took me on another 2.5 mile run. He says my pace is picking up so the speed work must be helping. I am still one of the slowest people on the planet but I'm persistant! Tonight is speed work and upper body strength training and tomorrow is cycling class.

Have a good week everyone!

wtpclc
09-06-2005, 08:45 AM
Gotta be quick, but there's a bunch I want to get out.

Kath! Welcome!

monte - You've come this far and this long, you can do it! Hang in there. I've been really having some stonkers lately. Maybe it's because the training's gettign harder, we've been at it a long time and it still seems like a long way away. We're down to only about 4months before we get to run through WDW, though! I think we all could use some reminders of how great this will be if we all hang in there. Tpp bad LIly's off sailing and can't reiterate here cheer. Lisa?

Krista - Li-downs. Believe it or not, I had not heard that one. :teeth: Relative in GR? Really is a small world! I work there about 1 day a week and thats where dh works.

solo - Don't worry, I ahve my boys in blue on Saturdays. This next week should tell us alot, though. My BIL is also a U of M fan, so he'll be ok. Between beign a Lions adn Tiger fan, I think that's the only way he stays sane. Too bad he's livign in Lansing and married to an MSU grad. :sad2

Kathy - Welcome back! I've been wondering how teh family's doing! Thanks for the update and the link!

cam - You and Howard have a beautiful family! Way togo on your 5K!

I did my 6 Saturday. It was very hilly, one hill was ver a mile going down, no shade, no breeze, so I could not do our regular out and back, as that hill would have killed me. Dh was pretty sure that we coudl go a different way back, but no guarantees. I gambled and lost. DIdn't have to do that hill, but kind of illegally crossed I-75. Very remote area, but not somethign I'dl ike to do again. Well, ended up runinign about 6.5 adn waling another 1.5. Another mis-calc! mY splits did not show it, I think because of the heat and the hills, but I felt better than I have in agaes, so I'll take it. Waslked ~7 miles yesterday for teh Mackinaw Bridge Walk and am going to cross train today.

Sorry, I know I missed amny, but I don't have time to take notes today.

Have a great week everyone!

Minnie
09-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Good morning everyone,

I woke up Saturday morning (lr day) and was in major pain from the sciatic nerve in my right leg. A lot of heat treatments and motrin later and I was able to move slowly. A trip to the chiropractor will be part of my week. Until then my knee and leg are still throbing off/on so I will not be doing any training until after I see the dr.

Hope everyone has a great week!

solotraveler
09-06-2005, 09:29 AM
Monte- You can do it!!!!!

Carrie- Well, at least you don't have all your hopes tied to the Lions. I didn't go to school or grow up here in MI, so I'm neither really a UM or MSU fan-- and frankly not much of a football fan. (Wow, they're going to take away my guy card for that one...) But you CROSSED I-75!!!! Holy cow!

As for training, on Sunday I did 40 minutes (3 run, 2 walk) and managed 4.23 miles which is 9:27/mile pace. :banana: I was exhausted after work Saturday but really pushed it and I was very happy with the result. Monday I did 35 minutes (3 run, 2 walk) and did 3.55 miles at 9:51/mile pace. I was sore and stiff so it was a good run all things considered.

Someone asked on the previous thread about my walking pace--- I use the walk sections as "active recovery"-- I make sure to keep the pace below 15:00/mile. I want my body to get used to what that feels like so I won't get swept. I really pay more attention to my pace during my walking portions then my running portions. I tend to run somewhere between 7:30/mile and 9:00/mile pace, but have a much harder time with consistancy.

Happy training all!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

Minnie
09-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Welcome to Kath :sunny:

Tiger Lily 03
09-06-2005, 11:17 AM
I need to hear a few "you can do it" and "don't give up". :guilty:
Monte, Hey! YOU CAN DO IT!I just saw this plea for help. Must have been you calling to me here on the cruise. Please, DO NOT GIVE UP. Those days when you don't "feel " it, just put on those shoes and go one foot after the other. You can do it. WE can do it.

We have a day at sea and so I thought I'd check in.
I managed 3 miles yesterday and 2 miles today on the ship track. Yesterday I wogged, today I walked the first mile fast and then the second mile I did with DH as a more of a stroll. We walked tons in Key West during the day yesterday too.

Thunder, thunder, thunderation!
We're the WISH Group delegation.
When we move with determination,
We create a GREAT! sensation!

Keep on keepin' on.

kaf7878
09-06-2005, 01:06 PM
Hi Everyone--Haven't posted in a while because I still haven't been running. Weird calf/hamstring pulls or spasms. Really have no clue what I did to them! I'm getting nervouse though--are they going to heal?? I've already taken two weeks off and then tried slowly running and it feels exactly the same as when I first injured it. Not better at all. I don't even know who to go see about it?? Any ideas of what to do? I've been stretching and doing yoga like crazy to try to make it better but no luck. Hmph!

keenercam
09-06-2005, 01:11 PM
MONTE -- Come on, you CAN do it!!!! You've come this far already!

Lily -- How GREAT to hear from you! Isn't Key West a riot? Hope you are having an absolutely fabulous time. The "MAGIC" is one of my favorite places in the whole world! Glad to hear you are getting in some miles on the ship! Take care, sweetie! :teeth:

princessmomma
09-06-2005, 02:29 PM
All I have to say is "it is amazing what rest can do for you"! I just started my third week of the program and went out on Sunday for a "leisurely" 40 minute run. Well, I now know what the meaning of STONKER is!!!! :sad1: I felt just terrible, plus I was wearing new shorts and they started to chafe! Well, I quite after 30 minutes, I just couldn't do it. I was so down when I got home and my DH said that some training runs are meant to be "dumped", if you don't have it that day, you don't have it. He said I did the right thing to stop because that is when you are prone to injury. Well, yesterday was my cross training day and did a Yoga DVD (Yoga Conditioning for Athletes). Well, I loved it! Not very exerting, but lots of stretching and relaxation. Went out today for my tempo run and ran 4 miles in 37:45. It felt absolutely great! I am so pumped now. :banana: :banana:

Getting back to that Yoga DVD, I think it is really going to help my IT band, back and hamstring problems. Does anyone else do Yoga??

Lily, wow, cruising! Lucky you.

Carrie, good job on your long run! The sun kills me too! I need to purchase sunglasses. Any recommendations?

Solo, I continue to be amazed at your run/walk pace.

Minnie, I really have to stretch a lot or my siatic (sp) nerve acts up too! Take good care of that!

panthergirl, good long run! Hasn't the weather in NC been great! It is about time!

Monte - You can do it! There is still time for you to pull it all together. We are all behind you! :grouphug:

Colleen

monte
09-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Thanks gang, I needed that! :flower: Tomorrow I'm going to hit the bike path and walk Vail pass...don't know if I'll make it all the way to Vail, but it should be a good workout. Thanks again and I can't wait to meet everyone :Pinkbounc

kathcoll
09-06-2005, 08:02 PM
I had a rough training weekend - I bailed out of the Va Beach RNR half because of dizziness and nausea - a visit to the doctors today confirmed an inner ear problem - and no exercise at all for a week :confused3
I'm currently training for the Marine Corps Marathon October 30. My LSD next week is 20 miles - sure hope my week off doesn't make that too hard!
I'm using Dave McGovern's marathon training program for racewalkers.
kath

Tiger Lily 03
09-06-2005, 11:22 PM
Hi Everyone--Haven't posted in a while because I still haven't been running. Weird calf/hamstring pulls or spasms. Really have no clue what I did to them! I'm getting nervouse though--are they going to heal?? I've already taken two weeks off and then tried slowly running and it feels exactly the same as when I first injured it. Not better at all. I don't even know who to go see about it?? Any ideas of what to do? I've been stretching and doing yoga like crazy to try to make it better but no luck. Hmph!I'd maybe consider going to an ortho doc, preferably one who "understands" runners. Good luck with getting it all figured. Hope it comes out ok.

Me, I did a LOT of carb loading...everyone here says it's too early to do that. I'm thinking I am doing it JUST in time...to remove it all before it gets too serious after I return.

It is Castaway Cay in the morning. Weather is great right now.

Seems like the new storm may be interfering in our coming into port. It is expected to be where we will be docking at the same time. Captain just sent us a note saying they are monitoring the situation....

Good night all.

littlegreydonkey
09-07-2005, 02:11 AM
morning all - just a quickie on my travels. Still in England, it's my last day of holiday at my mums today, I go up to London to start work this morning. CAn't say I'm hugely looking forward to it, but it has to be done. Glad to see everyone's working hard - my training is going okay, I'm kind of forcing myself out there but I've only missed one short run and my long runs have been about 7 miles so not so bad - this weekend will be funny, got to do a 90 minute run, then go to my brothers wedding, then go out dancing till the early hours with a friend - Sunday will be sleeping I think. Anyway, gotta go as my mum's just come back from walking the dog and I have to pack. Helen

wtpclc
09-07-2005, 07:51 AM
Lily - Glad you are having fun! I am sooo jealous! I'll keep my fingers croseed that you can get to CC. We never made it there on our trip and it's a real bummer to wake up to the ship trying to dock and then to teh When you wish upon a star notes saying that you're havin gan at sea day. I've lost my taste for that song, as it interrupted my sleep and tended to bring bad news. I really hope it goes well for you!

Helen - Thanks for chekcing in. Glad you are keeping up with your workouts. Enjoy the wedding!

Jodi
09-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Hi Everyone!

It sounds like you all are doing well with your training. Thanks for all the "Nightmare New Orleans Trip" well wishes. I'm glad I got to see the place before it permanently changed, but glad I was able to get out. What a shame...

Sounds like everyone is doing well w/ their training! Decreasing times in 5ks, having cruddy days but then perservering the next time out. Awesome & inspiring stuff to read.

Those of you who are having a bad time of it & having "second thoughts", hang in there. As someone pointed out, we have a few months of training ahead of us, you're bound to have bad days & doubts creep up here & there. It'll be ok. I'm the queen of bad days/weeks/months, I know!

After taking 2 weeks off of running 'cause of my stupid knee, I went out this a.m. & ran 2.5 miles with this cheesy knee brace thingy on & it felt ok. However, a few hours later, I can definitely feel my knee protesting. What the heck?? I thought 2 weeks was enought rest time. I'm sick of going to the gym everyday & doing the elliptical or bike for 40 mins. There's no substitute for the real thing. Oh well, we'll see how I do Fri. when I try to run again. Who knows, I may be walking the 1/2 w/ my mom instead of running it. I hope not, though. It's really been a goal of mine to run this thing & anything less I fear will be a disappointment.

Ya know what? I just read what I wrote & kinda feel like a jerk. Here I am, complaining how I might be only able to walk a 1/2 marathon, blah, blah, blah, and there are people out there that had their whole lives destroyed last week...I'll shut up now. :rolleyes:

Jodi

wtpclc
09-07-2005, 12:28 PM
jodi - don't be so hard on yourself! We all feel horrible about what's happened down there, but our lives must still go on. Yes, I pray for them and give financial support, but everyone's lives cannot stop. It does help to put things in prespective, but we stil have things that frustrate us. We're here to support you when tehy revelove around our common goals.

plutosmyfav
09-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Hi Everyone!

Ya know what? I just read what I wrote & kinda feel like a jerk. Here I am, complaining how I might be only able to walk a 1/2 marathon, blah, blah, blah, and there are people out there that had their whole lives destroyed last week...I'll shut up now. :rolleyes:

I've had many of these moments. All of the sudden our daily complaints seem so trivial in comparison. I think its perfectly natural to feel this way.

As for me, I'm pleased with my running right now. I'm taking advantage of absolutely perfect running weather and avoiding the TM at all costs!

Sunny

panthergirl
09-07-2005, 02:55 PM
Jodi - Are you icing after every run? That might help. I had a big problem with knee pain that was caused by running on the treadmill in my case. I iced after each run and also did alot of strength work on my quads which seemed to help. I am pain free now but no more treadmill!

Disneefun
09-07-2005, 03:36 PM
For anyone who is still thinking of registering for the full or adding the full to go Goofy, the Disney Marathon site is now reporting that registration is at 97% capacity. So if you're still thinking, better think fast!!!!

solotraveler
09-07-2005, 03:37 PM
Sounds like everyone is doing well w/ their training! Decreasing times in 5ks, having cruddy days but then perservering the next time out. Awesome & inspiring stuff to read.

Those of you who are having a bad time of it & having "second thoughts", hang in there. As someone pointed out, we have a few months of training ahead of us, you're bound to have bad days & doubts creep up here & there. It'll be ok. I'm the queen of bad days/weeks/months, I know!

Jodi

Jodi- Thank you for writing this today. I just got back in from my run today and it was dreadful. I felt awful the entire time. But I did learn a few lessons:

1. Do NOT run in 88 degree weather. (Seriously, though, this is Michigan--- it's never this warm this time of year...)

2. Do NOT expect to run well when you completely decide to throw your entire healthy eating plan out the window at lunch. (Patty melt + Fries= Extremely bad pre-run meal.)

So, 25 minutes into my 40 minute training session, I decided I was doing more potential harm than good and decided to hang it up for today. (For those who care, it was another 3 min run/2 walk day... I averaged 10:02/mile pace) I don't know whether or not to try and get the other fifteen minutes in later this evening or what... kind of at a loss. I may crosstrain tomorrow since I kind of only half did it yesterday, before my 7-miler on Friday. I'm trying not to let it get to me, but it's frustrating because I made bad decisions today which cost me being able to finish my run. I could have gotten up before work like I had planned, I could have eaten right at lunch, etc. :guilty:

Guess I will have to get after it again tomorrow.

Happy training all!

wtpclc
09-07-2005, 04:03 PM
That does not bode well for my 40 minutes today. Yikes!

MelRhoads
09-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Hello all - have not started my official training program yet. I have been kayaking a ton. I did do a 10k this labor day. When I got there, the batteries on my garmin were dead and i was at a total loss on how to keep my pace. I had to use my watch!!!!! I ran 4 more miles with my neighbor that evening (with batteries replaced, whew!) Pace for the 10k was 8:59 which is good for me. it was a very hilly course. Sadly, I probably place near the end in my age division (man those ladies are speed maniacs!)

I rode with the boy at the military park yesterday (13miles) plus he got to meet the civil war reinactor which he loved. he took pictures of the man with his gun using his "own very camera" :goodvibes

Did a 40mile bike w/o boy today! Nothing else to report. Am going to go on a 60mile ride/picnic this sat with a bunch of girlfriends! The real running starts next week! So does pre-school! Isn't that great timing

monte
09-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Did my walk on Vail pass today and was able to walk 10.45 miles, which is not too bad. I wasn't able to make it to the top of the pass, but came close. Now if I could do a 10 ml. walk everyday.... ;)

chimera
09-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Monica...you'll be great! Vail pass sounds cool...any photos?

MelR...our kayaks miss us...haven't really been much since the wild todd was born. We need to get her an itty, bitty life vest so we can start going again.

Solo...I'm there with ya...healthy eating has not even been in my head since we were out of town the past two weekends :guilty: Great pace on the part of the run you completed!

Helen...I think dancing counts as cross-training....especially if you dance like this guy :dancer:

Lily...I think carbo-loading is required on a cruise, especially at the midnight dessert buffet.

Colleen...the only way I can prevent chafing without goo is wearing compression shorts under my running shorts. I need the running shorts for all the pockets to carry my cell phone, etc...I thinking it may be time to graduate to a pack :scared1:

Carrie...great long run! I won't tell anyone about I-75 if you don't :rolleyes1
We live near I-75, too, but not close enough that I'll be on it for any of my runs.

Kath...sorry 'bout the ear thing. Take care of yourself! That Marine race sounds tough! Didn't we have someone else training for that?

Minnie...ouch! Sciatica is no fun! Take care!

Kathy...glad to hear you're healing well after surgery. Thanks for sharing the photos of Lynne and her bike!

Lynne, Erin...where are ya?

Susan...great pace on your 5.3 miles!

Kelly...I think if you're not noticing improvement after two weeks, you might want to see a sports medicine specialist.

Colleen...I've been wanting to try yoga...there's classes at the Y here. Have you taken a class or do you prefer the video?

Jodi...I think we're all having more bad days right now because of the weather. It's just too hot/humid/gross to be outside.

From stonker to stupendous...

I had a eureka-moment before my 'run' today. I discovered that my MP3 player fits nicely on the Garmin strap. I've never used the MP3 player during a 'run' before...man, I had no idea what I was missing! I had such a good time I did 10 intervals instead of 8. The hardest part was trying not to keep my pace in time with the music. My Sharona has a great beat, but you just can't run to it (apologies to Dick Clark :teeth: ). How do y'all keep from singing and dancing along to the music?

wtpclc
09-07-2005, 10:10 PM
DH bought em a present today. One of those walking towels. It's like a shamois, but sythetic. Very nice. A little awkward on teh neck, but helped with the heat today. Still not a great run, but better than most as of late.

Oh, this walking towel, you run cold water on it, squeeze out and throw on your neck. Stayed cool for the whole 40.

NYcpa
09-07-2005, 10:52 PM
Mel - Lynne is busy with school and does not yet have internet access at her apartment. She is riding, swimming or running most days and sometimes does all 3. She is going to do at least one more tri this fall. Erin is waiting to get into PT for her knee. She has had trouble with it since last fall. Her DR wants to schedule an MRI but the insurance company insists on 6 weeks of PT and 4 weeks on anti-inflamatories before they will allow it to be done. We are now jumping thru the necessary hoops.

I started PT today for my shoulder. According to the surgeon, I cannot lift weights for at least 3 months to give the biceps tendon a chance to completely heal. The therapist told me when he was stretching the shoulder I could use the other arm to punch him if he got too agressive with the stretching. He didn't get punched but the shoulder hurts more tonight than before PT. NO PAIN NO GAIN :rotfl:

Have to motivate myself out the door every night after work to walk. Finally got my orthotics yesterday. It seems nice to no longer be walkng on my little toes. Have to decide if the right arch is too high or if it had shifted back in the sneaker too far.

Everyone seems to be doing well with their training. Keep up the good work. Will try to post more often and hound Lynne to post also.

TiffJ
09-08-2005, 07:05 AM
Our weather has started to get a little milder(at least cooler in the a.m. & less humid during the day) which is making morning walks very pleasant. I did 30 min on the bike yesterday for xt. Today is my off day. However I need to clean the whole house(another form of xt)

I do have trouble not singing & walking to the pace of my music. I keep catching myself doing it. It would be great if it was faster, but it is usually slower than I want to go. Also- it's hard to keep pace when you are moving your arms & shaking your booty! I love my mp3. Now just to get a Garmin!!!

solotraveler
09-08-2005, 08:34 AM
So, I finished that run last night!! :cool1:

Once I let the weather cool down a bit, it was OK. I was pretty ticked off about the earlier run, so I pushed it. For those last 15 minutes, I ran 1.65 miles for a 9:03/mile pace!! :banana: So all totalled, yesterday's 40 minutes came out to 4.15 miles at 9:38/mile pace. That said, I'm glad to have a rest day :)

Carrie- Good to hear you got through the whole 40-- and cool nonetheless! Great job!

Tiff- That's precisely why I don't use an sm3 player wile I run. I get distracted and next thing you know I'm barely moving! :)

Happy training all!

Minnie
09-08-2005, 09:18 AM
I have no training to report whatsoever. My sciatica is still causing me pain especially in the evenings so I can't imagine running on it. I was told to use my heat massager and rest it which is not what I want to do :guilty:

I've considered going back to walking only no run to at least get some miles in. Does that seem reasonable for should I just keep waiting? I'm getting real worried about the lack of training :confused3

monte
09-08-2005, 09:49 AM
No sorry Mel, no pictures....will try to remember on my next walk.

Minnie - Does the doctor think walking would be a good idea, or cause furthur injury? Good luck with that.

Jodi
09-08-2005, 10:20 AM
Hey guys;

Panthergirl - I'm going to start icing my knee ASAP. ?'s, how long did you ice it for, & what particular excercises did you use to strengthen your quad?? I've been told to do this b/c my quad is not anchoring my knee properly cause it's too weak. How long did it take to get better, I'm going nuts!

Solotraveler - Way to go, see, just keep plugging away. The way I look at it, it can't get much worse than the previous run/walk, so get out there & do it again. Great times.

Minnie- I would think walking, if you can stand it, would be the best thing!! That's what I'm doing. Of course, check w/ a DR.

Monte - I'm jealous, wish I could walk around Vail.

Chimera - Way to GO! I'm thinking of taking yoga, too. Any thoughts anyone?

MelRhoads - 40 miles??? Holy cow, you rock!

BTW, my hats off to all you walkers out there. Because I've been only running, my body was in total shock when I started walking for 40 minute stints. Man, it's not easy!! In some respects it's harder than running for me! Each sport deserves its kudos, I suppose. Hello to our new racewalker member! That must be a sport to conquer!

Good day all & please, more info. on knee injuries from anyone that can help me out. Thanks!

Jodi

wtpclc
09-08-2005, 10:26 AM
Jodi - Dh had this problem. He took about a week off from running and rode his bike. That helped strengthen that muscle. I'd ice for at least 10 minutes.

Jodi
09-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Carrie - I remember you saying your husband had the same problem, it's already better?? Mine has been bugging me after 2 weeks off. Biking sounds smart, I've been doing that @ the gym as well as the elliptical. All the info I read says not to run through the pain, it'll only get worse. But I'm getting sick of waiting for it to get better. Thank you for the info!!

Jodi

TXBelle
09-08-2005, 11:00 AM
I have returned from Disney World. We had a great time. :flower:

My ankle is feeling better. I ran 2/walked 3 today at the gym. I was pleased with my pace after so many days off. I have the 5K at the airport on Saturday. I hope to beat my PR, but I will try not to press too hard so that I do not reinjure my ankle.

It was good to catch up on everyone's posts and see that everyone is in full training mode. :cheer2: Here's some PD for low fares from Chicago so that Liz can cheer us on in January. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

wtpclc
09-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Jodi - His was actually more towards spring tha the had problems. May? It seems like one week of biking pretty much took care of it. It still gets a little sore sometimes, but it does not hurt him. (Sore, as in using muscles that are a little weak, not pain) I thought his hurt him when he walked too. DOn't know if that's because we were doing r/w at the time or not. OK. More soming back to me now. I believe that he got new shoes about that time too. Can't guarantee that it helped, but also worth a try.

perfectmatch300
09-08-2005, 05:58 PM
I'm doing a lot of cross-training this week - translation - moving! I will be really glad when this move is done! Of course, it might go better without all the days off for Disney trips! :earseek: We are meeting TigerLily and her DH tomorrow at Epcot. :cool1: :banana: Her cruise was diverted but she is now safely in WDW and wasn't bothered at all on her cruise by Ophelia except for the diversion on landing.

Cam, Chimera, you're both doing great with your 5K's. I was thinking of trying one in early Oct, but I want to be sure we are done with our move first. I have until Oct 5, I think, to register online, so I'll see how things are going around the 1st and decide then. I really did enjoy the one I did do even if I am slow, and the improvements you two are making really inspire me.

Now, back to packing boxes. Ugh!

MelRhoads
09-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Here is a pic from the 10k on labor day. My time was 55:49. Look how happy I look when I'm running, even though I will probably place last in my age group!!!

http://www.printroom.com/ViewgalleryPhoto.asp?userid=tewart&gallery_id=247537&image_id=744

The boy and I went kayaking today. I paddled 4 miles with the boy using his arms as a rudder!! We stopped to swim, collect shells and fish. We caught 2 kentucky bass, but we let them go. I have no idea how to clean a bass and I might never eat one again if anyone tells me.

I found a new use for the garmin today! I used it on the lake. We didn't get lost and I knew how far and how fast we traveled. I love that thing!

TXBelle
09-08-2005, 10:47 PM
What a great picture Melissa! You look fantastic. Great time on the 10K. You definitely are a big :dog: :paw:

aladdinsgirl
09-09-2005, 07:45 AM
Good morning!! And more importantly.....Happy Friday!!!!!!!!!!!! :sunny: I'm excited for the weekend to officially start, Stephen and I are going to Cedar Point. Other than WDW, it's my most favorite place on the planet. :love: I'm looking forward to running my 4 miles around the resort, alongside the Magnum and Lake Erie. The only thing that's going to put a damper on the weekend is that I know I'm going to worry about Hines. We're taking him to the kennel for the first time, I know he's going to cry for us all weekend! We packed him a bag of his favorite toys and I've been sleeping in an old t-shirt all week so he can have that in the cage with him and it'll smell like home. If I get this upset over my puppy, what it's going to be like when I have a baby??!?!!

I did 32 minutes of the walk/run program last night. Right now I'm doing w/3 r/1, but I'm thinking about kicking it up to w/3, r/2. The run/walk program that I start on Oct. 3 is r/3 w/2--I don't want it to kill me!!

MelR--Awesome picture!! You look mahvalous!!

Mel--Football is officially started!!!!! :cheer2: I've been waiting for this day since February.

Carrie--It's so funny that you ran across I-75! I live and work right off 75, I'm on that stupid road every day, usually sitting in stopped traffic...

Heather--Glad you had a great time in Disney! Stephen and I are going in 43 days. Actually, 43 days from right now (7:40 am), we'll be in the air. Can't wait!!!

Jodi--Get to the doctor!! Hope you're feeling better!

I hope everyone has a great time this weekend and decent runs. I'll be thinking about you when I'm stuffing my face with cotton candy and riding Top Thrill Dragster and my favorite, Millenium Force! Happy training!!

Krista princess:

plutosmyfav
09-09-2005, 09:08 AM
MelR-- what a great picture! How'd you manage such a great smile? You should definitely order a print!

Krista-- have a blast at Cedar Point. We lived in Columbus, OH one year and never made it out there :( Your puppy will do fine.

Nancy-- good luck on the move. That is definitely serious xt!!!!!

Solotraveler-- you're doing great! Your pace is fantastic!

Minnie-- I'm so sorry to hear of your injury. I hope you are up and running in no time. :grouphug:

I know I am forgetting people, sorry! I've had trouble keeping up lately.

My running schedule was mixed up this week with Labor Day and kindergarten starting.

I took DD for a 4 mile wog on Sunday. She could barely walk Monday and Tuesday. I got a lot of "thanks a lot Mom!" remarks and looks :confused3 On Monday I took DS biking (he bikes, I run). I did a few short sprints but that was the extent of my speed training for the week. I did a 8.5 miler on Tuesday while fighting back the tears (DS's first day of kindergarten). Tuesday was also upperbody weights. Wednesday was lowerbody weights, stairmaster and rower. Thursday was a 5.6 miler on The Battle Road (The road the Minutemen took to meet the Redcoats). Its fairly hilly, dirt and sand. Thursday was also upperbody weigths and stairmaster. Today will be lowerbody weights and some form of xt. Tomorrow should be an 18 miler but I haven't commited the IC to it just yet. I might wimp out with a 16. I will need to get DD back out there for a wog either Sat or Sun, too.

I'm gettting a little disappointed in my lack of pace improvement, but then again, I hardly do any speed work at all so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Sunny

solotraveler
09-09-2005, 09:53 AM
Morning everyone!

Mel- That's a great picture!! I shudder to think what I would look like if someone snapped a picture of me mid-race.

Sunny- Sounds like you're doing great yourself!! Good luck with your 18 miler!

Well, I managed to get outta bed this morning to enjoy a nice sunrise 7-miler. I finished in 1:07.31, which my handy dandy Garmin tells me is 9:30/mile :banana: average pace. I finally figure out how to do splits with the Garmin, so my splits were:
Mile 1: 9:14
Mile 2: 9:11
Mile 3: 9:31
Mile 4: 9:40
Mile 5: 9:39
Mile 6: 9:56 (second water break and had a Gel-- that didn't help the time)
Mile 7: 9:18 (Thank you Gel and I pushed it the last mile)

I feel really good about that. I was having a serious case of "What am I THINKING?" during the first couple of miles, but pushed right through it. :banana:

Anyhow, now I have to go play golf before heading to Toronto to look at condos-- gotta love having the weekend off!!! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Happy training everyone! Good luck on your long runs!
Solotraveler :earsboy: :dog2:

Disneefun
09-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Didn't see that anyone else had posted this, but as of this AM the marathon is closed!!!!

Jodi
09-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Solo - Way to Go!!

Krista - have fun this weekend!

Sunny - 16 Miles?? Who cares how fast you're going...16 miles is scary-awesome.

MelR.- Awesome shot, I never look that happy, even when I'm eating ice cream! :rotfl:

Anyone have any idea how many "contestants" are in the 1/2 & full? Is it going to be any chance of us slow pokes (me) being able to run @ all? Or are there too many people?

Jodi

wtpclc
09-09-2005, 03:52 PM
HI all! Just time for a quick sheck in. I did my 40 min again last night. I do not like back to back days, but I'm sure it will help come marathon when my body does not like 26 staight miles. ;)

Have a great weekend all!

MelRhoads
09-09-2005, 04:50 PM
OK - here is a run to put in the neighbors think I'm crazy category. I went on a 3.5 mile run with my external comando (EC) aka marathon girl. Anyway, we pushed the boy and her little one in joggers, while we were wearing full backpacks. The packs were large capacity hydration packs that had the equip required for an adventure race. We had to run by her son's school to drop off some papers. As the boy is not yet in elem school, I had no idea that moms just hang out there. So we come running in the front door, kids in joggers and full packs on our backs. The moms are just sitting on the bench inside looking at us. :snooty: Marathon girl had to drop the papers in the office and I was left to fend off the stares. I tried to speak to the moms sitting there, but they just quickly looked away. I told my friend I felt a little like the bear exibit at the zoo. You know, the one where the people go and look at it and say "what is it going to do next... it smells funny...." Thankfully, that wasn't the school in the boy's district so I am not going to ruin his reputation! :blush:

Sunny - I noticed that you run in some interesting places (the historical road that you mentioned) I ride and sometimes run at a civil war battlefield. We should consider posting pictures from some of our favorite routes. I think Monte would have some good one's to post from the Rockies. I would really enjoy seeing where everyone is training.

Lisa loves Pooh
09-09-2005, 06:35 PM
Here is a pic from the 10k on labor day. My time was 55:49. Look how happy I look when I'm running, even though I will probably place last in my age group!!!

http://www.printroom.com/ViewgalleryPhoto.asp?userid=tewart&gallery_id=247537&image_id=744

The boy and I went kayaking today. I paddled 4 miles with the boy using his arms as a rudder!! We stopped to swim, collect shells and fish. We caught 2 kentucky bass, but we let them go. I have no idea how to clean a bass and I might never eat one again if anyone tells me.

I found a new use for the garmin today! I used it on the lake. We didn't get lost and I knew how far and how fast we traveled. I love that thing!

That is an awesome picture! Runner's World worthy :).

princessmomma
09-09-2005, 07:26 PM
That is an awesome picture! Runner's World worthy :).

No kidding! You look so great! You actually look quite like I imagined you. Hey, where's the boy??

I did my long run today, 8 sloowww miles, about 5.5 mph, I did a modified run 15/walk 1. I felt pretty good. Cold bath after because my hip and legs were pretty sore.

Colleen

gatorphipps
09-10-2005, 08:58 AM
Hey all! Haven't posted in a while, b/c of time. Have still been running, biking and such. This week was crazy b/c the production company I am with opened a show. We have been rehearsing ALL WEEK! I am so sore!
Any way...Bree and I were supposed to run 16 yesterday. Did 15.5 b/c of my miscalculations. I had to make it up during the show last night by running up and down the steps. We perform in an outdoor ampatheater (SP?) that seats around 2000, so the steps are LONG AND STEEP! Feeling good today though.
Melissa - GREAT PICTURE!
Christa

chersheyb
09-10-2005, 01:03 PM
WOuld I be able o use my ipod shuffle during the marathon, some music will inspire me just a little more not to get the sweep!!

Thanks Chersheyb ::MickeyMo

TXBelle
09-10-2005, 02:05 PM
WOuld I be able o use my ipod shuffle during the marathon, some music will inspire me just a little more not to get the sweep!!

Thanks Chersheyb ::MickeyMo

Headphones are officially not allowed on the course, but last year I saw plenty of people wearing them. There was no checkpoint set up to monitor for MP3 players or radios. I walked with WISH friends and never missed mine.

I did 3 miles this morning. I skipped the 5K at the airport today because my ankle is still giving me trouble. I tried to run on it today, but I had to stop after 1.7 miles and just walk. I still managed to do 3 miles in 44 minutes. I guess I will just focus on walking for a week or two until my ankle is completely healed. Walking does not appear to irritate it, just running.

I started back on Phase I of South Beach yesterday. So far, so good. I would love to lose 15 pounds by Christmas. Guess my days of running for doughnuts are gone.

Lisa loves Pooh
09-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Did 5 miles today at 4:1 intervals....finished just over an hour and overall pace was 12:07.

:)

perfectmatch300
09-10-2005, 11:47 PM
Saw TigerLily yesterday and I'm happy to report that she's doing her wogging around the Boardwalk! :moped: She must be really hooked, getting up early while on vacation to go wogging!

MelR, great picture! Thanks for sharing it. Loved your story about running up to the school! Bet those other Moms were jealous that you could run and push a jogger while wearing a full backpack while they were just sitting there!

Krista, I love CP too! No, it's not WDW, but it is a great park with some great coasters! I'm sure Hines will be fine, and he'll be so happy tosee him when you get home.

Sunny, your training schedule inspires me. Keep up the great work!

Now, back to my boxes.......

chimera
09-11-2005, 08:57 AM
Come join us for a new week!

Week of Sep 11 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=9888645#post9888645)