PDA

View Full Version : Looking to downsize our vehicle- Happy w/ your car? Miles/gallon?

crazymomof4
09-05-2005, 03:40 PM
When we get home from WDW (9/25) we will be looking to replace DH's Ford F150 Pick-up (14 mi/gal) with a more energy efficient sedan.

I may be running errands, etc. with this sedan after DH comes home from work and on weekends. Chances are I won't get out of the house w/o at least some of the kids tagging along so we don't want a teeny car (ex: Miata). But we don't need a minivan or SUV bc. our other car is a Suburban- plenty of room in there! Basically just looking for a more fuel efficient auto for DH to do his 66mi round trip commute to work and for me to run a few errands here and there when he doesn't have it.

We are looking at Hondas, Toyotas, Mitsubishi and Saturns. For maximum $$ savings we would like a 4 cylinder, automatic.

If you are happy with how your car runs I'd like to hear about it. Not happy?--Tell me! Also, because I know that you cannot always trust the dealer's advertised gas consumption, I'd be interested in what the actual miles/gallon is for your car.

Also, share any tips that you have for buying pre-owned vehicles.

Thanks!

scanmom
09-05-2005, 04:22 PM
I got a fully loaded Hyundai Tuscon in March. It is a small SUV, not a sedan, and it sits 5 adults pretty comfortably. I got leather, heated seats, a sunroof, 6 disc CD changer, tape player etc....all for the price of $20,200!! Plus, it has a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty!!! and roadside assistance for 6 year/60,000 miles. I get about 25 mpg.... and I absolutly LOVE my car!!! Hope this helps!! :earsgirl:

bdcp
09-05-2005, 04:27 PM
Honda Accord now makes a hybrid, but IMO with 4 kids, you need something larger. I drive a Plymouth Grand Voyager ('98) and we get 20 mi/gallon locally and 24 highway. Honda Odyssey's get just as good mileage. Very few sedans seat 6 and not comfortably.

rcpae
09-05-2005, 04:40 PM
My husband works for Honda here in Ohio. You can't go wrong with a hybrid car. Plus I believe the goverment extended the $2000.00 tax deduction you get for buying a hybrid car. This is called the clean fuel tax deduction. Check into this, maybe someone here even knows more.

My husbands uncle also owns the Civic hybrid and is extremely happy. He says he gets around 50 miles to the gallon. I'm not sure if this is freeway miles, or just everyday. I noticed the trunk space is a little smaller. Since the Accord is larger that would definately give you more room. Although, they still seat just 5.

I've been happy with my Honda Odyssey. I get about 27mpg. Just in case the size of the car matters.

Hope you find just what you need!

momof1princess
09-05-2005, 05:26 PM
my husband is waiting for the call to start work for honda manufacturing of alabama (it's been 9 months, but i know ppl who've waited as long as 18 months *sigh*) and once he gets the call, he wants to purchase either a honda pilot or crv with his employee discount-the pilot would probably be more practical for your use. i don't know the specs, but i owned a honda civic in high school, and i have to admit (even though i'm a die-hard ford mustang lover) my civic was the most reliable, most fuel-efficient car i've ever had, and i hope to be able to purchase one for my DD someday.

Donya
*doing the 21 days to WDW dance!* :cool1: :banana:

jlb
09-05-2005, 05:29 PM
We love our Honda Accord. This is our 3rd Honda and we can not be happier with the mileage and how reliable they are. I really can not see us ever not having a Honda for commuting purposes.

paladin
09-05-2005, 07:53 PM
We are on our third Saturn - we started with the SL (small sedan), then went to the LS (larger sedan) (they don't make either of those models anymore - I think the current ones are IONs and we now have a Vue (smallish SUV). We have been extremely happy with all of them and we get pretty good mileage (we actually get better mileage on the VUE then on on the LS - I think it is about 27 miles to the gallon). We especially like the no-hassle pricing. My dad is on his second Saturn and also loves them. Reading all of the comments on Hondas - an interesting note-the Saturn Vue has a Honda engine.

arminnie
09-05-2005, 08:11 PM
I have a 4 cylinder Honda Odyssey -one of the old ones a '97 that I have loved.

The new Odysseys have variable cylinder management - it steps down from a 6 cylinder to 3 cylinders when you don't need the extra power. That's why they get just as good mileage as some of the vehicles much smaller.

ktglads
09-05-2005, 08:17 PM
I drive a Vue - V6 AWD, so I average out to about 22 mph with the mix of city and highway driving that I do. If you took went to the V4 FWD, I'm sure the mpg would be much better

shelly3girls
09-05-2005, 08:40 PM
We own a Pilot. They say it gets 17 city/ 22 highway which seems about right. If you need a car that seats all 6 of you then it is a great option. It was one of the better milages for SUVs this size.

Princesa
09-05-2005, 08:59 PM
We love our Pontiac Vibe!!

I know Pontiac wasn't necessarily on your list you were looking at, but our Vibe has a Toyota engine which made us happy!! We have a four cylinder/five speed and have lately been averaging 34 mpg :cool1:

We traded downsizing from a Windstar and can pack as much cargo in that Vibe as we could the van and don't have to deal with taking out seats--they all fold flat.

This wouldn't work for four kids, but for anyone else out there, we highly reccomend the Vibe!! :goodvibes

tlbwriter
09-05-2005, 09:20 PM
Very few sedans seat 6 people - and those that do are most likely not going to be 4-cylinder. I think you're going to have to look at minivans and SUVs. According to Consumer Reports, the 3-row SUVs with the best mileage are the Toyota Highlander, Acura MDX, and Honda Pilot. I don't remember the best minivans, but I went to the Honda website and compared the Odyssey (19/25) to the Toyota Sienna (19/26), the Mitsubishi Montero (15/19) and the Saturn Relay (18/24). Of course, those are the 2005 models - if you're looking at different model years, you'll need to check the mileage for those years.

crazymomof4
09-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Very few sedans seat 6 and not comfortably.

I should clarify: I may be running errands, etc. with his sedan after DH comes home from work and on weekends. Chances are I won't get out of the house w/o at least some of the kids tagging along so I don't want a teeny car (ex: Miata). But we don't need a minivan bc. our other car is a Suburban- plenty of room in there! Basically just looking for a more fuel efficient auto for DH to do his 66mi round trip commute to work and for me to run a few errands here and there when he doesn't have it.

tlbwriter
09-05-2005, 09:31 PM
In that case, I'd go for the Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. Can't really go wrong with either of those. Unfortunately, they hold their value so well that you can't get much of a break by buying a fairly new used model. But at this time of year, you'll get great deals on 05 models.

mookie
09-05-2005, 11:04 PM
I got a fully loaded Hyundai Tuscon in March. It is a small SUV, not a sedan, and it sits 5 adults pretty comfortably. I got leather, heated seats, a sunroof, 6 disc CD changer, tape player etc....all for the price of $20,200!! Plus, it has a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty!!! and roadside assistance for 6 year/60,000 miles. I get about 25 mpg.... and I absolutly LOVE my car!!! Hope this helps!! :earsgirl:

I definitely have to second this. I have a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe, with over 100,000 miles on it. :earseek: (Lots of driving for my job!!) It's a little bit larger than the Tuscon, but basically the same body. I absolutely love my car, and have had very little problems with it (knock on wood!) I have recommended this car for a lot of my family and friends, and a few have even bought them. The warranty is great, and there is plenty of room. It's pretty versitile for a smaller SUV, and we have never thought of a need for a bigger car, even with 2 large dogs, and a carseat in the back! :teeth:

Good luck in your search!

ExPirateShopGirl
09-05-2005, 11:57 PM
I should clarify: I may be running errands, etc. with his sedan after DH comes home from work and on weekends. Chances are I won't get out of the house w/o at least some of the kids tagging along so I don't want a teeny car (ex: Miata). But we don't need a minivan bc. our other car is a Suburban- plenty of room in there! Basically just looking for a more fuel efficient auto for DH to do his 66mi round trip commute to work and for me to run a few errands here and there when he doesn't have it.

I would recommend a nice Honda Civic. Great gas mileage and an incredibly reliable car, as most all Hondas are. Avoid Hybrids unless you're a diehard environmentalist. What you save in gas today, you will have to use to buy a replacement hybrid battery in about 4-5 years, to the tune of about 4 or 5 thousand dollars. In the end, you're not saving on fuel. New civics are are Ultra Low Emission standard vehicles to boot. They seat 5, and for your husband's commute and your errands, it's plenty. One more consideration with a smaller car are crash studies, Hondas get high marks.

Good luck, whatever you get!

:flower:

Pea-n-Me
09-06-2005, 12:18 AM
LOL, we just did the same thing with DH's F150 V8. However, he still wanted a truck so we went with a Ford Explorer Sport Trac V6 (half SUV/half truck). It was a great choice for us and he'll cut his gas consumption by about 25%.

If you're going to go with the 4 cylinder you should test it out with all of you in it with the AC, radio and windshield wipers on. Fully loaded some might be a bit slow. Good luck.

alcoromom
09-06-2005, 04:53 AM
We have a chevy impala that seats 6.This has a huge trunk and a small child (up to 60) pounds could sit in the front comfortly.My 80 pound old son does ok WE actulally leave our van at home and use this car for most of our trips.In fact if gas goes up anymore,I will drive this car to work.

CheapMom
09-06-2005, 08:28 AM
gas mileage on all cars (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm)

We just bought a minivan (Nissan Quest) and it is a guzzler. Way worse than our last minivan (Mercury Villager). They claim that you get 19/26 but I am averaging more like 16 mpg! I don't understand why. I do a combination of both local and highway travel, so I can't figure it out.

CheapMom
09-06-2005, 08:30 AM
Honda Insight 61/66
Toyota Prius 60/51*
Honda Civic Hybrid 45/51
Volkswagen Golf TDI 38/46
Volkswagen Jetta TDI 38/46
Volkswagen New Beetle TDI 38/46
Honda Civic HX 36/44
Toyota Echo 35/42
Toyota Corolla 32/41
Scion xA 32/37
Honda Accord Hybrid 30/37*
Pontiac Vibe 30/36
Toyota Matrix 30/36
Scion xB 31/35*

* = tie

Dodge Neon 29/36
Toyota Celica GT 29/36*

RumpleMom
09-06-2005, 08:31 AM
We loved the Mercury Sable station wagon for hauling all the stuff during the college years. We owned 3 in a row. Never wanted to drive a minivan or Suv because they seemed too huge.

ScoJo15
09-06-2005, 09:13 AM
In May, I bought a Toyota Corolla for commuting to and from work in the nasty, nasty, Atlanta traffic. I drive 80 miles round trip, all of it in heavy traffic and I'm averaging 35mpg.

tlbwriter
09-06-2005, 09:28 AM
I would recommend a nice Honda Civic. Great gas mileage and an incredibly reliable car, as most all Hondas are. Avoid Hybrids unless you're a diehard environmentalist. What you save in gas today, you will have to use to buy a replacement hybrid battery in about 4-5 years, to the tune of about 4 or 5 thousand dollars.
Honda's hybrid batteries have an 8-year warranty, and the replacement cost is estimated at more like $2-3K. But I agree that most people will not save much by buying a hybrid. I ran the numbers on the hybrid Accord (http://automobiles.honda.com/models/accord_hybrid.asp?ModelName=Accord+Hybrid&function=savings) , and I'd have to have it for almost 10 years just to break even (since the hybrid goes for $5K more than the regular Accord in my area, after discounts). And then there's the environmental cost of disposing of the old battery. My next vehicle will not be a hybrid. But I have high hopes for the technology, so maybe the vehicle-after-next will be one. :flower:

Brina
09-06-2005, 09:37 AM
I am a huge toyota fan. I drive a sienna and have had a 4 runner in the past. whenever i travel a I try to rent a camry or corolla.

macs4us
09-06-2005, 10:19 AM
We have a civic hybrid and get 48mpg. My husband's commute is 120 miles roundtrip, and we live in SoCal, so it really makes sense. We bought it last year when it still qualified for a larger tax break, and now he can go in the HOV lane by himself. Through our credit union's car purchasing program we paid $20k. We don't have kids, just 3 kitties, so it is our primary vehicle. Our other vehicle is a VW Weekender (has the bed in the back and a popup top for road trips) which gets 17mpg, but they don't sell those in the US anymore. :confused3

WDWOKW92
09-06-2005, 10:31 AM
Personally I drive a Saab 9-5 Station Wagon, 4-cylinder turbo-charged, auto tranny. I've been driving Saab's for 20 years. :cool1: I get 18 mpg city,... 31 mpg highway. It's a great car! However, that being said, a car my wife is interested in is the new 2006 Hyundai Sonata,... loaded for 22-24K. Mileage is good as well. Good luck!

Laurajean1014
09-06-2005, 10:40 AM
I love my car; X3, BMW! Great little SAV - 25/18 mpg. I work close to home and fill up every two weeks or so. :sunny:

dz4disney
09-06-2005, 10:50 AM
I love my Toyota Camry. Very comfortable and good gas mileage, and not to mention very reliable.

doubletrouble_vb
09-06-2005, 11:08 AM
I have a 2004 Pontiac Vibe GT...doesn't fit your requirements because the GT model is manual but the gas mileage is fantastic!! I get at least 30 mpg no matter what. I choose the Vibe for a variety of reasons:

1. It is the same car as the Toyota Matrix and it is in fact built by Toyota.
2. The Matrix/Vibe is essentially a hatchback/5 door wagon version of the Corolla.
3. In the models with the bigger engines the Vibe GT and Matrix XRS they have Celica engines.
4. It felt solid and for a small car its roomy...even in the back seats. The split folding rear seats fold flat so it has a lot of cargo space and configurations. The front passenger seat folds flat as well.
5. I picked the Vibe version because it had everything I wanted at a lower price. The lower price was because it has a Pontiac label. This is one of those save now or save later deals. When the time comes to sell the Matrix owner will probably be able to sell their car for more...but since I hang on to my car until its well over 100,000 miles I figured I'd go for the savings now.
6. The Matrix allows for a much more a la carte selection so I would configure your ideal Matrix then look over at the Vibe to see if it matches what you want.

The negatives is that it only rated to haul around 800 pounds. If you have 4 adults in the car it is noticeably not as responsive although with a manual I can compensate for that. And the GT/XRS needs premium...also a problem but since they only have 11 gallon gas tanks it works out.

D&DDisney
09-06-2005, 11:12 AM
We also have the Pontiac Vibe (basically a Toyota with the Pontiac name on it) It is a 4 cyl. automatic and we fit 2 small children w/ carseats in the back. Plenty of room for storage (all seats, including front passenger folds down and there is a roof rack) We get at least 30mpg. So far, it has worked great for us. :goodvibes

ckj
09-06-2005, 11:33 AM
I bought a 2005 Mazda 6 - 5 door (aka hatchback).
It's got the 4 cyl, auto, runs on the cheapo gas. I love the hatchback, easy to get things in/out. I average around 25 mpg. One item I was looking for, was the side impact airbags/curtains and this car had them.
Mazda dealers around here are offering $3500 rebate.

rebbeca
09-06-2005, 12:43 PM
I have a 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle. It has a diesel engine and a 5-speed. I get 40 mpg city and 60 mpg highway. Yes, diesel is high than gas right now, but I can't beat it. However, it only seats four. An added plus it that it is so cute!.

hmgolden
09-06-2005, 12:49 PM
I drive a '04 Nissan Sentra. I love it. Its super reliable, and great gas mileage. I do 60 mile round trip half city/half highway commute everyday and get 28 miles to the gallon.

crazymomof4
09-06-2005, 12:52 PM
In May, I bought a Toyota Corolla for commuting to and from work in the nasty, nasty, Atlanta traffic. I drive 80 miles round trip, all of it in heavy traffic and I'm averaging 35mpg.

Wow! 35mpg! That's great! What year is your car?

deltachi8
09-06-2005, 01:00 PM
I have a 2005 Staurn Vue - 4 cyl, 5 speed. I get between 26-28.5 mpg. Mostly around 27.

crazymomof4
09-06-2005, 01:01 PM
gas mileage on all cars (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm)

This is a great site! I just emailed the link to DH at work. Thanks for posting it.

Disneyrsh
09-06-2005, 01:08 PM
In the spring of 2004 (before all this craziness began) we traded in our gas guzzling 1995 Mercedes E320 for a Toyota Corolla. My husband, who is 6'4", uses it as his daily commuter vehicle (he calls it the proletariat-mobile) when he's not using his motorcycle. It is a manual tranny, so gets slightly better gas mileage than an automatic, and it's always up in the 30's for MPG. We've fit five adults in it no problem. The corolla is renowned for reliability and safety, and we've had no trouble with it since we bought it, and (unlike the mercedes) don't anticipate any. Also holds its value well.

We also have (my car) a 2003 Mazda MPV, which is a VERY small minivan. It can fit 7, but is as long and wide as a honda accord. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. It's *just* big enough to fit everyone, me, two kids, hubby, two dogs, but I can get in and out of any parking space. It also has a very zippy 200 hp engine but gets 29 mpg highway.

We're feeling pretty good about our cars, right now...

JodyTG
09-06-2005, 01:14 PM
I have a 2005 Staurn Vue - 4 cyl, 5 speed. I get between 26-28.5 mpg. Mostly around 27.
I also have this and agree with the excellent gas mileage. We traded in our Olds Alero and the Vue gets a lot better mpg and it's an SUV. I also have a Saturn SC2 (incredible gas mileage) but they don't make those anymore.

mickeyluv'r
09-06-2005, 01:35 PM
We love our '02 Subaru Forrester (plenty of space, 4wheel drive, GREAT visibility). We also chose our car based on the dealership - no pressure, great deal on oil changes. I hate high pressure dealerships! But if I was buying now, and could afford it, I definitely try to go hybrid. (Or the highest MPG I could find)

My mother in law loves her Honda Hybrid. I understand they are coming out with new models. It is so cool when you come to a stop!

We loved our Sentras, and the Maximas are great! The only reasons why we didn't go with another Nissan is that the Altima was the best option in our price range and the Altima's that year were ugly, IMHO. The new Sentras though are much better looking!

DVCJEN
09-06-2005, 01:46 PM
DH has a 2004 Honda Civic Sedan that he drives to work. ( He commutes about 50 miles each way) It gets around 34 miles to the gallon on average and has been extremely reliable. Before that he drove a 1996 Honda Civic coupe that he had over 200K miles on it. We had that car for 9 years of hard driving! Civics are little tanks if you want just a little car to run around in.

sadiegene
09-06-2005, 01:51 PM
I recommend the Scion Xb. Comes standard with power locks, power window and AC. My husband added an in-dash 6 cd changer. Grand total: $16,000 brand new. It's a great little car that's very roomy inside and the rear seats fold down for hauling. DH gets about 30 mpg city. Plus we got free oil changes and rental car for 3 years.

NMW
09-06-2005, 02:20 PM

I agree about the Corolla. DH commutes 150 miles round trip each day, mostly highway. He bought the 5 speed 4DR Corolla 05. The sticker claims 41 per gallon highway miles and he thinks it's pretty close. My three kids all fit in the backseat, even with our DD in a booster car seat.

He used to have a Nissan Altima and it just didn't get anywhere NEAR the gas milage the Corolla does. I have also heard good things about Honda Civics. Both cars also hold their value (as do most Japanese cars) when you want to sell or trade it in. DH's Altima had about a gagillion miles on it and the Toyota dealer still gave him a lot more than the book value.

tlbwriter
09-06-2005, 02:43 PM
You'll probably want to avoid the Ten Worst Cars for 2005 (http://www.forbes.com/vehicles/2005/01/10/cx_dl_0110feat.html) (according to Forbes magazine).

nhpooh
09-06-2005, 04:10 PM
We also have the Pontiac Vibe (basically a Toyota with the Pontiac name on it) It is a 4 cyl. automatic and we fit 2 small children w/ carseats in the back. Plenty of room for storage (all seats, including front passenger folds down and there is a roof rack) We get at least 30mpg. So far, it has worked great for us. :goodvibes
:moped: I too have the Vibe, I love it. Like D&DDisney I put two carseats in the back with room for one 17yr old in between. I had a Dodge Durago it only got 11miles/gal. the Vibe is getting 27 to 30 much better.

I should add that my DH has a "05" Honda Civic EX, this is his second one. Got a new one because the first one had over 100,000 miles on it it was a "2000". He gets about 35miles/gal with this one. He loves it, I have used it and put the two carseats in the back of it with no problem. I have a small home daycare that's why I use the carseats.
My DD is the 17 yr old.

sk!mom
09-06-2005, 04:28 PM
I would recommend checking out Consumer Reports before you decide. They will give good info on mileage as well as repair histories and reliability ratings.

I drive a Toyota Camry- love it. I just came back from a 600 mile road trip where we tested out the mileage and we average 34 mpg.

MAH4546
09-06-2005, 05:51 PM
A car nobody has suggested yet is a new one, the Mazda5. It is the smallest van sold in the US. It is more like a small wagon than a van, but has sliding doors. Small vans like this have been popular in Europe and Japan since the mid-1990s, but are just now catching on in the US. It seats six comfortably, isn't big at all, and gets great gas mileage. Fully loaded with a DVD-based navigation system, you can get it out the door for less than $23k. It is essentially the same concept as the popular Chrysler PT Cruiser, it just doesn't attempt to hide it's van roots:

http://peugroen.loops.jp/focus/image/mazda5-01.jpg
http://www.mazda-koller.at/program-files/images/Paris_10-2004/mazda5/images/125.JPG

Gillian
09-06-2005, 08:03 PM
I have a 2000 Accord EX 4 cyl automatic and love it. It's very roomy and powerful enough for me. I have not calculated the mileage, sorry. I do a lot of short trips around town with the kids, and not much highway, so it might not compare to your husband's commuting.

We and my parents have also had Toyota camrys and they are great.

Be sure to shop around if you decide to go with a Honda. Used ones hold their value well and we found new prices varied a lot by dealer volume. For example, the dealer in Princeton NJ offered us a very decent price, but the one in Old Bridge beat it by quite a bit. We also bought it at the very end of November, which is a low volume month.

crazymomof4
09-06-2005, 09:04 PM
Thanks everyone! I've been reading all of your posts and taking notes.
I want to re-read the whole thread with DH.

In Luv with Disney
09-06-2005, 09:38 PM
I have a Saturn 2003 Vue and DESPERATELY want to get rid of it!!! This is the car he uses to commute to Manhattan every day. He gets about 15mpg!!!!! NOWHERE NEAR the kind of mileage he should be getting out of this car! Our other car is a Honda Pilot. We absolutely LOVE that car! It seats 8 with the 3rd row seat and is not bad with gas...about 20 something miles per gallon, I would say. This is the car I use every day, when I have the kids. DH can't wait to drive it on the weekend!!!

dcfromva
09-07-2005, 06:59 AM
I just purchased a 2005 Pontiac Vibe a week ago. I got 29 mpg for my first tank of gas.

The Pontiac dealer still had an inventory of 2005 (Vibe) vehicles and was more willing to come down on the price than our Toyota dealership who only had the new 2006 (Matrix) models. The Toyota Matrix and the Pontiac Vibe are twins.

We also considered the Toyota Prius. However, the dealership said there was a 6 week wait and no test drives available. I wanted to at least try it out before I considered putting an order in for the car. The sales staff gave me the impression that they had plenty of customers and weren't really interested in any more.

We test drove the Honda Civic Hybird. I have a friend who owns a Honda Insight and her A/C cuts off entirely when stopped at traffic lights. In the Civic Hybird, the A/C was still blowing, but the air didn't feel really cold when we stopped at traffic lights. I was nervous about how I would like the A/C in the hot Virginia summertime. We were also nervous about the new technology and how long the battery would hold up. Then, we weren't really sure about what kind of actual mileage we would get vrs EPA estimates. (Unlike, the Accord, the Civic Hybird EPA estimates are quite a bit higher than the regular model.) I would have been more comfortable buying the Civic Hybird if we could have rented one for a couple of weeks just to see if the above concerns were warranted in actual useage. (Well, except the battery part. :teeth: ) At the time we were shopping, they had plenty of the 2005 models in stock.

Here's an article on tax credits being offered on Hybirds (http://www.hybridcars.com/tax-deductions.html)

-DC :earsboy:

Disneyrsh
09-07-2005, 08:22 AM
I recommend the Scion Xb. Comes standard with power locks, power window and AC. My husband added an in-dash 6 cd changer. Grand total: $16,000 brand new. It's a great little car that's very roomy inside and the rear seats fold down for hauling. DH gets about 30 mpg city. Plus we got free oil changes and rental car for 3 years.

Y'know, we looked at the Scions (made by toyota, sold in toyota dealerships) when we decided to dump the benz, and for less money you can get a corolla, which had more interior room and better gas mileage! It's not as cute and funky as the scions, though.

My husband said he's getting 32 mpg in stop and go atlanta traffic. He said it's up around 40 mpg on the few times he gets to cruise on the highway with it.

Belle2667
09-07-2005, 11:41 AM
Already last year we were feeling the gas pinch (I travel 60 miles per day for work in an Explorer and my DH goes 100 per day in a F150). Hybrids were out of the question. Too new, too many bugs yet to work out. We researched the Pontiac Vibe, Honda Accord, Toyota Camry. We were very happy with the Vibe. :goodvibes The others were just a little too costly for less features, plus the mileage wasn't as good as the Vibe (I average 32 - 34 mpg). I love my car.....I call it Zippy!! :teeth: