PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your credit card information when you travel?

can'twait
09-04-2005, 09:30 PM
I know you are supposed to call the credit card company if your card is lost or stolen. Before you call you need to have 2 things handy - your account number and your company's phone number. Where do you keep this information when you travel? Obviously, it doesn't help you if it is in your wallet with the lost/stolen card. Do you leave it in the safe at the resort? With a family member at home? At home in a safe place where a family member can easily get to it with your direction, but won't be privy to it without your direction?

Anyone?

barkley
09-05-2005, 12:29 AM
if you can scan copies into your computer-scan the front and back of each card. send this as an email attachment to your own e-mail. if you cannot scan write an email to yourself with the credit card numbers and phone numbers. if you lost your cards you could access the email from a computer at your hotel or local internet cafe, and make the necessary calls. this is also something you can do with copies of your i.d., travel documents, etc.

Cheshire Figment
09-05-2005, 06:12 AM
You would call 1-800-555-1212 which is toll-free directory assistance. Give them the name of you bank or credit card company and ask for the customer service number. They will give you the toll-free 24 hour service number. Call them up and they can do a search on your card based on your Social Security Number.

powellrj
09-05-2005, 07:32 AM
I left an envelope with my DM when we go on vacation. It has our flight information, our hotel information, copies of our tickets, our credit card information, our work information (who to call if something happens) and our wills and our bank and insurance information. That way if ANYTHING, happens, someone knows our information.

ajksmom
09-05-2005, 11:22 AM
On our last trip I thought about this very thing!! As soon as I came home my DH and I emptied our wallets, compiled a list of what cards we carried, who carried which cards and the contact information for each card. I made a few copies and saved the information on our computer. The copies I gave to both my sister and my mother, who also get our vacation information (hotel, flight, car rental, travelers checks copies,etc).
Make sure to note who carries which card(s). That's what caused me to do all of this -my DH thought he had lost his wallet. Great, I've got all the information on the cards in my wallet, I thought. Well, I had no idea which cards he carried. Thankfully, we found his wallet in the diaper bag but it was kinda scary for awhile!!

Delilah Bleu
09-05-2005, 02:47 PM
Great idea. I know the bank # but not my account #. I do know the last 4 digits. I guess they will ask you all the security questions (ss#, address, etc).

kfeuer
09-05-2005, 05:54 PM
This actually happened to us a few years ago--my wallet was stolen while we were at Disney :mad:

Fortunately for us my DH was carrying all the same cards so I was able to call everybody I needed to pretty easily. Luckily I've always had the habit of clearing out my wallet when we go on vacation, so I only had a few credit cards and our debit card on me (heaven help me if I'd had all my department store cards along)! I guess DH is my insurance policy when we travel!

I was just lucky that we drove to Disney because they got my driver's license, too--don't know how I'd have gotten on a plane without photo ID.

j's m
09-05-2005, 07:30 PM
This actually happened to us a few years ago--my wallet was stolen while we were at Disney :mad:

I was just lucky that we drove to Disney because they got my driver's license, too--don't know how I'd have gotten on a plane without photo ID.

What can you do if your wallet and drivers license is stolen? How do you get on the airplane? Does anyone know?

Abu1202
09-05-2005, 08:27 PM
My wallet was stolen a few years ago and my drivers license was in it. I spoke to the airline (Continental) and they told me I had to bring an original copy of my birth certificate to the airport on the day of the flight. I had to have my husband mail it to me "next day".
I was fortunate in that my husband had access to our safety deposit box. Maybe it would be a good idea to get a second copy of your birth certificate & leave it in the hotel safe? I would definitely call my airline and ask them what the procedure is because you never know!
I'd just like to say that the cast members were wonderful when it happened. I also had 3 annual passes in the wallet and 2 credit cards! They gave me new APs that expired on the same date as the old, of course, and they helped me contact my credit card companies. Luckily I had another card in the safe at the hotel and most of my cash as well. It wasnt a fun experience, but I'm a wiser traveler these days!

I'm heading back to the AKL March 2 - 7, 2006 with my DD!
:goodvibes This will be trip # 30 to WDW !!! :goodvibes :cool1: