PDA

View Full Version : What is mypoints and is it worth it?

LuluLovesDisney
09-04-2005, 03:59 PM
I've seen people talk about getting gift cards from mypoints and I am not sure how they are doing this. Do you register with them? If anyone is a member or knows about this and can give me some info, I'd appreciate it!
Thanks

PrincessKitty
09-04-2005, 05:04 PM
I'm a member and so far have earned two $25 Macy's gift certificates (almost have enough points for a third one!) and numerous $10 Starbuck's gift certificates for DH.

The way it works is, first you have to register with Mypoints. Then when you are planning to purchase something online, click through the Mypoints site, and you will earn points for everything you purchase. For instance, DH and I purchased a Memory Foam mattress topper on Overstocks for $170 and earned 1700 points. We purchased a dog bed and earned 700 points. DH bought a swimsuit for me for my birthday from Land's End and earned 310 points. Different companies award different points per dollar--Overstocks awards the most (10 points per dollar)--most other companies award 3 points per dollar spent.

To give you a baseline of what points are worth, 3000 points will earn a $25 Macy's gift card (there are MANY choices of stores for gift cards--Target, Walmart, etc.).

You can also earn points occasionally from completing surveys and from clicking on the promotional emails that MyPoints sends to you. However, if you don't purchase much online, you will probably not earn enough points to make it worth your time. DH and I make a lot of online purchases (flowers for our moms through FTD.com, electronic equipment, clothes, etc.) so we earn points fairly quickly.

Danemom
09-04-2005, 06:14 PM
I do mypoints and I almost never shop online. I bought something once through them and didn't get my credit. I didn't think their response was very helpful - they basically told me to prove I'd made the purchase. I understand that but I felt like they should've been able to look it up on their end. After that day, I decided that I would click on the emails for points when I felt like it but wouldn't go out of my way to use them otherwise.
I add up points slowly but I have gotten a $25 gift certificate for Rainforest for nothing - haven't spend a dime with them.

renaibr
09-04-2005, 06:45 PM
i have been a member for more than 6 years and have made at least five hundred dollars from them
you can click through emails sent to your address or shop
from their web site.
they also offer surveys and things to help build up points.
you must keep a copy of any things that are purchased from their site, as sometimes they do not credit your account right away.
however once i attach my receipt and notify them the
problem is always taken care of right away.
hope this helps

leight
09-04-2005, 06:52 PM
I do it to save up for $10 gift certs for teachers every year. I usually put the gift card in a basket w/ other items and they arevery much appreciated!

pearlieq
09-04-2005, 10:56 PM
I've had less than stellar experiences with them. I ordered a 5000 point gift and I never received it. They kept saying they'd "check into it" and never got back to me. I didn't receive credit for a lot of the things I did (site registrations, etc.) and I don't shop online very often.

All in all I've found it to be a waste of my time and a great way to get spam. I just went in and donated as many of my points as possible to the Red Cross for Katrina relief. I hope they do some good that way because I'm done with My Points!

momof2cuties
09-04-2005, 11:19 PM
I LOVE Mypoints! I have been a member since 1999 and have cashed in points for over $750 in gift cards.

By the way, to members, I just checked my account and under "my profile" there are a series of quick surveys to earn up to 100 points - and the points are there immediately!

calie_j
09-04-2005, 11:39 PM
I joined in March of this yr and am getting close to having enough points for a $25 gift card. I mainly just do the email links and filled out a few of the free memberships/surveys. I've only bought 2 things thru them, a special on business cards I needed and an ebags purchase that was cheaper thru mypoints then with my AAA discount. I definately think it's worth it since I have the extra time to go thru the emails and click links for points. I set up a seperate email addy just for mypoints and the survey companies I signed up for so my regular email doesn't get cluttered with junk. I haven't had many problems with alot of junk mail with that account, the few things I've signed up for to get points I just unsubscribed to if I wasn't interested in it after awhile and haven't had a problem with it.

If you have the time and won't be tempted to buy a bunch of things you don't need it's worth it. If you normally buy from the companies they have you can rack up points alot faster then I am and sometimes find specials like free shipping.

Calie

PrincessKitty
09-05-2005, 07:45 AM
I should add that Mypoints rarely credits me with points for purchases until I email a reminder to them. You have to keep a copy of the confirmation email you received from the website from which you purchased the item, wait 30 days, then send a copy of the email to MyPoints with a request that they credit the points.

They have always credited the email clicks (you get 5 points for each one of their emails that you click on) right away.

aka-mad4themouse
09-05-2005, 07:58 AM
I've been a member since July of 2000 and I've redeemed over 100,000 points over the years. I used to get Webcertificates almost exclusively but I've also redeemed for RFC gift certificates and Target giftcards. It's probably one of the easiest programs for earning points (5 pts. per email click-thru) but they are mediocre when it comes to crediting for online purchases.

Like PrincessKitty said, you need to save your confirmation emails for 30 days or more just in case they don't credit your account properly. I've had to email them numerous times to get the credits that they owe me but I've never had a problem getting my points as long as I have the proof.

I haven't done too much shopping thru them recently because I like the way CreationsRewards.net handles online purchases better...you forward your confirmation email and the points are credited to your account within 24 hours. Those points are available to use as soon as they are credited (unlike MyPoints, which makes you wait a month). CR also sends "paid" emails, has daily click-thru's and trivia and has a sign-up portal. Lastly, CR has redemptions in the form of Disney Dollars, VISA giftcards, PayPal deposit and check-by-mail. Now that Webcertificates appear to be a thing of the past, I find these rewards to appeal to me more than the ones on MyPoints.

HayGan
09-05-2005, 08:23 AM
I've been a member since 1998 and I love it. I have gotten several hundred dollars worth of gift certs for Target, Kmart, Burger King and others. While I have had a few problems with them crediting points, they have always resolved any problem I have had. I've never had any problems in getting my gcs from them.

BTW, most of my points have come from reading e-mails and taking advantage of free offers/trial periods.

mickeysaver
09-05-2005, 10:21 AM
I am a MyPoints fan! I have only made two purchases in the many years that I have been a member, but I have clicked on many, many emails and done lots of surveys over time. For our December trip, I have $20 in gas cards and a $25 RFC card in hand. I am close to getting another $20 in gas cards and just might make it in time to redeem before the trip. I need to join AAA and I can do that through MyPoints, so that should boost me forward enough for the next gas card. My much loved New Balance 925 shoes came from ShoeBuy.com and I got MyPoints for them too.

I have never had any issues with them and I will continue to enjoy the freebies. Maggie

kelleigh1
09-05-2005, 10:27 AM
I've been a member for many years. I did have a problem with getting credit for a purchase in the past, but since they updated the site, I've been credited immediately. I have almost 6,500 points and that was just earned in the past year. And most of that is from the emails.

I'm currently able to get 2 Rainforest Cafe gift cards, which we plan to use for our WDW trip next year. My husband also has an account and he's never bought anything and he already has over 3500 points, all earned in the past year.

drgnfly30
09-05-2005, 12:01 PM
I've been a member forever... I used to redeem soley for Webcerts & was very dissapointed that they did away with them.. I usually only do the emails but if I am going to buy something anyway I'll go through them... like a 1-800 Flower purchase I made on Friday... even if you only click on the emails its an easy way to get something for free!

crisi
09-05-2005, 05:10 PM
I did it for about six months, but since I don't do much web shopping, it really wasn't worthwhile. In six months I was halfway to a $10 gift certificate from Target - and the spam and the time wasn't worthwhile.

There are some consistant "good deals." If you order a lot from Office Depot, regularly by Lancome mascara, some other stuff, it may be worth switching to ordering via the web for the points. I used to by Lancome mascara, but switched to cheaper Great Lash, the savings buying my mascara from Walgreens (using my Supersaver gift card) are better than what I get on mypoints.

HoneyPooh
09-05-2005, 05:54 PM
I've been a member for a few years and have never had a problem with credits showing up. I don't buy through them frequently, mostly at Christmas, but have earned numerous gift certs just through e-mail clicks. I have never noticed spam from doing these, only the actual mypoints e-mails for points.

Delilah Bleu
09-05-2005, 09:55 PM
I have been a my points member for several years. I do not shop much through them online but click to receive points. Over the years I have redeemed many gift cards (Red Lobster, Target, Toys-R-Us, Walmart, etc). I seem to get about 5-10 emails from them a week. I just click and save my points. I like the program - I wish points were still available for tupperware.

DiznEeyore
09-05-2005, 10:07 PM
I usually just do the click-through emails to earn points -- I only shop through them occasionally. I like to redeem for the gas cards -- especially helpful with the price of gas lately! ;)

disneysnowflake
09-06-2005, 05:39 AM
I really like My Points.

You'd be surprised how many places you can buy from online that will give you points.

I saved up my points since last Fall. I cashed them in this Spring for Web Certificates that I turned around and used to pay part of my balance for our Oct Disney trip. They don't have web cert. anymore though. :(

I used to have some trouble with My Points crediting my purchases, but not anymore.

I also never get spam from My Points. I only get the emails that I click on to get 5 points.. I never get junk emails.