PDA

View Full Version : Did you change plans for this Long weekend- due to gas prices?

peacefulgirl
09-03-2005, 03:49 PM
I didn't have plans, but I am staying home!

The traffic here that is usually HUGE backups on the Friday (yesterday) of this weekend, was NONE!! No traffic going on vacation !! That is really really unbelievable!

How is it in your world? Are people traveling? Are you?

What changes have you made to "save the budget?"

blondimom
09-03-2005, 03:53 PM
I just took my kids for the day to Six Flags in NJ from NYC, but that'll be the extent of our Labor Day weekend. :moped: Otherwise, we'll just be barbequeing at home. :sunny:

drgnfly30
09-03-2005, 04:12 PM
I was going to go to Rehoboth Beach for the day... not anymore!

A Mickeyfan
09-03-2005, 04:28 PM
I had ressies for the AS-Movies for the weekend, but with my city's gas supply (or should I say non-supply) I had to cancel

tinaluis
09-03-2005, 04:29 PM
Usually we spend at least a day downtown by the lakefront. This year we're staying put.

wifeofjack
09-03-2005, 04:31 PM
I was going to the All Star Music for a week and a half, was to leave at 3:00 a.m. but cancelled because of fear of not finding fuel.
I have been trying to find another place for hubby and me to go for vacation. Work hard all year, save each week, and then because of a lack of gasoline, everything has changed.

minnie1928
09-03-2005, 04:36 PM
We didn't have big plans, but I'm staying put regardless. I'm not even going to make it a Blockbuster night! We'll watch our copy of National Treasure instead of going and renting something new. I think Dave Ramsey would approve! :goodvibes

Also, I noticed the road behind my house has been unbelievably quiet today. It's a back road, but usually very heavily travelled.

swilshire
09-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Definitely! We had planned to either spend the weekend in Williamsburg (about an 8 hour drive) to use our Busch Gardens season passes or at least go up to Pigeon Forge (about an hour away) to the outlet mall sales. With gas as expensive as it is, we're trying to avoid even going five miles to the grocery store. Just staying in and hoping that prices will be down by the end of the week as some experts predict. We'll all need fillups again by then from driving to work and school.

Sheila

marcyinPA
09-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Sticking close to home. We had a yard sale today with a friend, and made about $70 after paying for the ad. Not too bad. Tried to tie in a trip to the grocery store while I was in that direction, and just going to church tomorrow (about a 4 mile rt trip). Other than that, the car will be parked for a while! :)

Local_Girl
09-03-2005, 08:38 PM
We also had planned on an out of town trip...about 2-1/2 hours north to visit DH's family for a couple of days...but changed our minds due to gas concerns. Instead of spending extra $$, DH worked a few hours of OT today so he actually made money! Had it been Thanksgiving or Christmas, we probably would have made the trip...

rockyroad
09-03-2005, 09:03 PM
I carpooled to Sam's today with my sister. It's about 14 miles to town from here.

We weren't going anywhere this weekend anyway. DH has to work Monday and we just got home from a trip to New Orleans last Saturday. We had incredibly fortunate timing.

All the hotels around here are totally full and gas stations were running out of gas on Friday....too scary to be on the road.

my3kids
09-04-2005, 07:28 AM
We just had to drive to a neighboring town about 40 minutes away to do some shopping. When the family travels we always take my car, an SUV with pretty dismal mileage. Yesterday we took my husband's small sedan because it gets great mileage.

tinker*dust
09-04-2005, 07:42 AM
We decided to cancle our plans due to the gas prices. We'll just cook on the grill and swim at home instead.

mudnuri
09-04-2005, 08:04 AM
No cancelling here. Family reunion is about 2 hours away, I'll be picking up my mom and heading there about 10 this morning.

I worked friday and yesterday, 1/2 hour each way, my driving hasnt changed yet. Might be due to the 27.5 mpg my car's been getting

Brandy

mickeyluv'r
09-04-2005, 09:49 AM
we considered a trip this weekend, but changeed our minds a while a go to save money. The gas uncertainty just helped us to feel like we made the right choice. We'll probably do something local this afternoon instead.

GillieRose
09-04-2005, 09:54 AM
We where suppose to drive 2 hrs to stay at my in laws lake house but changed are mind because of the gas prices. We didn't want to waste the money.

thelittlemermaid
09-04-2005, 12:34 PM
I didn't have any plans for the weekend, but DH did. He thought we were going to travel 60 miles to a store that sells coral "just to look" YEA RIGHT!!!
Not with the way gas prices are!!! Then if he found something, there is more money down the drain to me.

He is already complaining that he is going to have to work OT just to pay for gas, so why go 60 miles that we don't need to, just to look at corals. Then they might not even have anything. ??? :confused3

DH and DS did go with my FIL to a flea market today, but FIL drove. They can afford the gas prices though, they have no debt what so ever. Only basic month to month like eletric, water, etc. I would much rather just stay around the house and wait for the NASCAR race tonight. :banana:

can'twait
09-04-2005, 09:42 PM
Nope. I drove 1.25 hours each way to go to the beach one last time at the family cottage. Almost went to Six Flags, but decided to save $ for Disney. Gas to each place would have been the same, but the beach was free. :earboy2:

peacefulgirl
09-04-2005, 11:14 PM
I went to the store on the way home from work Friday... hey gas price dropped here today by .10 !!! yay!

calie_j
09-04-2005, 11:21 PM
Our plans changed more due to H getting a good paying side job over the weekend. We still went on our trip out of state to visit DS but didn't leave until late friday night and got to our hotel at 5am, better gas mileage not needing the ac. I always check out all the gas stations on the way down to find the cheapest place to fill up on the way home and it was $2.93. We did canceled our outing to go on a cave tour due to being tired and not wanting to drive/use more gas and just stayed at the hotel to watch movies and swim. The traffic seemed the same as it's always been on this drive we've made many times.

Calie

MelodyMack
09-04-2005, 11:33 PM
We still have an hour wait for gas here, so we definitely have stayed home this weekend....

Cinderpals
09-05-2005, 01:20 AM
We just got back from WDW last week. With Katrina Crisis, I just wanted to stay home. Thinking this gas shortage problem will get worse. I also didn't like hearing that heating costs this winter can cost up to 25% more!

vhoffman
09-05-2005, 01:53 AM
We didn't have plans to go out of town, but if we did I would probably have cancelled them. Not only the price of gas, but the availability is also a concern. I wouldn't want to get stuck somewhere.

Even without the gas crisis, we wouldn't have made a trip this weekend. It just somehow doesn't seem right to be out enjoying ourselves when so many have lost their lives, homes, posessions, etc. We are a nation in mourning now. I wonder if they will fly the flag at half mast for the victims of Katrina? :sad1: :sad:

leight
09-05-2005, 08:01 AM
Instead of going to the beaches/shore -we will be doing more local activities. Since Dh & I don't have a day off together (he works Tues-sat and I work Sun-Weds) having today off together for a family day is important. So what I did is a membership to our local Children's museum- they are offering the rest of 2005 free w/ 2006 membership. They also coordinate w/ certain local places for free entrance- today we will go to the Aquarium for free (sept is free admission to the aquarium and zoo) .

We'll also bring donations of water, diapers, wipes to the convention center so the girls will also be doing spmething to help others.

Alicnwondrln
09-05-2005, 08:12 AM
we have done nothing
i dont wann waste the gas

Delilah Bleu
09-05-2005, 02:57 PM
I tried to do my errands (grocery shopping, etc) on the way home from church. Normally Saturday is errand day but I decided to do all of those errands while I was already out. It's a 30 mi (RT) from my house to church. The price of gas makes me plan my trips more efficiently.

bdcp
09-05-2005, 02:59 PM
We drove 1 1/2 hours each way to my parents and spent the night. Gas prices are around $3.19 for regular and every station we passed had gas and no lines. I got gas on Thursday after work and will need it again the end of this week. When you figure out the cost, you're not spending a whole lot more. It's more psychological than anything else. And there is no overall shortage of gasoline, just a few pockets and panicked areas.

vhoffman
09-05-2005, 03:31 PM
Actually, I agree with poster who said the price increase is more psychological than anything. If gas increases 20 cents per gallon, and I have a 20 gallon tank, that's another $4 to fill up. Yes, that adds up, especially if you fill up more than once a week. However, $4 is not the end of life as we know it. I'm not trying to make light of the situation, just put it in perspective. And, yes, I'm conserving gas and modifying my driving. I used to pick my children up from school. I had to get there early to get a parking space and had to run the a/c due to the heat. I let the kids walk home now. Actually, they think its grand, its another step towards independence. (They're 8 year old twins.) I still drive them to school, but drop them off about a block early and they walk the rest of the way so, there again, I don't waste gas waiting in line. Let's just hope this spike in gas prices is temporary. Perhaps its time to buy stock in gas!

annsteere
09-05-2005, 04:30 PM
DD moved into her own apartment in Michigan, 4 hours away. We drove all three cars there to carry all of her stuff and get ourselves home. Gas was high ($3.69) but readily available. Not really something we'd cancel.

DH and I are sitting home recovering on Monday, but that was our plan all along.

Gotta say I'm surprised by how many are saying they changed plans. If we can make that a lifestyle and not a one weekend choice, supplies may easily stretch to meet demand.

Anybody send the money they saved to help the relief effort?

MomofKatie
09-05-2005, 05:43 PM
We considered cancelling our trip to Gatlinburg, TN, but my MIL and FIL were meeting us there, driving from OH for DDs birthday, so we went. We had no problems finding gas, and had a really fun weekend. Sure, it cost us an extra $10 or so because of the gas price increase, but it was worth it for DD to see her Grandma and Granddaddy- she only gets to see them 1 or 2 times a year.

sk!mom
09-06-2005, 05:38 PM
No change of plans here- Drove 1200 miles round trip to visit the inlaws. I was tempted to change plans but MIL is ill.

can'twait
09-06-2005, 09:45 PM
I should note that traffic was very light on Saturday. I heard on the news that it was light all weekend. Thanks for staying home everybody!

;)

icebaby
09-06-2005, 10:14 PM
we carpooled with our friends. Intstead o taking two SUVs, we squeezed into 1 (4 adults, 3 kids and 1 dog). All with a "turtle top" on the luggage rack. Instead of spending $300 for gas round trip/per SUV, we split the bill. A little sacrifice, but something. . .