PDA

View Full Version : Did I get a good deal from my interior house painter?

frannn
09-02-2005, 07:56 PM
He charged me a total of 1100. to paint my kitchen walls/ceiling, 1/3 dining room walls, dining room ceiling (the kitchen and the dining room are not separated by any walls, and the dining room is mostly papered), replace a small portion of the kitchen ceiling that was damaged by a toilet overflow, 1/2 the small hallway leading from the kitchen to the livingroom (everything that's not papered), and the livingroom (including the entire wall leading up the stairs). I can't give you exaxt room measurements, but I live in a modest home in LI, NY. I think the livingroom is approx 17 X 27... He said he was using very good paint by Benjamin Moore. I did the kitchen in linen white, and the living room in a light brown called "cappucchino". Wow, I am so not used to having color on my walls! Does it lower the resale value of the house? Do painters usually leave the remainder of their "leftovers"? He has not finished yet. Did I get a good deal?
TIA!

ncbyrne
09-02-2005, 08:06 PM
Any improvements, including new paint and fixed ceilings will aid in you ability to sell your home. I also think the price is fair.

arminnie
09-02-2005, 08:09 PM
Yes, I think you got a good deal.

I paid WAY more than that 13 years ago to have 1300 square feet painted and the place was empty.

I also had work done in Arkansas a couple of years ago and their quote was almost that per room. Which is why most of my house has not been painted.

They should leave you with the leftover paint.

I don't think it will lower the resale. People are really going for color now and it is still neutral.

The room and hall way I did have painted are in a kind of milk chocolate brown. I love it and have gotten many compliments.

ElizaB39
09-02-2005, 08:15 PM
The price seems okay/fair. You live in an expensive area.

Good paint is a necessity and Benj Moore is expensive (however, it is well known that contractors *usually* get a discounted price for paint - around 40% - and then *usually* charge full price to their customers for their paint).

We had our entire house painted, 4 beds, long upper hallway, kitchen, DR, FR, LR, all insides of closets, ceilings, trim including doors, one small bathroom all for $3500. Our contractor did not charge full retail for our paint; he passed along his price to us. Our home was empty when they painted, we had not yet moved in, they didn't have to take down, move, cover and tape off. They did use a bunch of drywall screws and spackle.

All paint should be left to you, you paid for it.

Hope this helps.

The paint should help resale as long as it is not a crazy color. We had lovely colors in our old house, freshly painted and it helped to sell.

mjh8955
09-02-2005, 08:18 PM
We had part of our house painted last fall, over 2000 square feet. for $1100 (kitchen, dining room, most of family room, office, 2 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and a laundry room plus a border). It took them a week, it would have taken my husband and me a month or two to do it and we wouldn't have survived the stress ;) We live in central Illinois, I'm sure it would cost much more in a metropolitan area.

rockyroad
09-02-2005, 09:02 PM
I would certainly ask for the remainder of the paint to do touch ups.

mantaz
09-02-2005, 10:45 PM
I recently had our interior painted. To pull paper, patch and paint ceilings and trim for 2 BR, 2B, hallway, stairs, foyer, LR, DR, and FM for only $1200. It took them a week. It is so nice to be rid of the paper and I think it does help the resale as the look is fresh and easy to paint over a color than it is to do something about the wallpaper. Sometimes that can make or break a sale of the house.

You will love the new look.

Angela

NMW
09-02-2005, 11:11 PM
I think it's a very good price. I don't think paint makes a home less desirable, it's easy to paint over it if you don't like the color and you chose neutral colors anyway. Wall paper on the hand-ugh. :earboy2: When we were shopping for a house, I could not get out of a house fast enough that was filled with wallpaper. All I could see was the mess removing it would be. I think that's one of the reasons I bought new construction! And yes, I put wallpaper in 2 of my bathrooms, but it's paper I got to pick out! :)

lmountford
09-03-2005, 04:46 AM
Off topic here I'm afraid. I am from the UK and I find myself really impressed by the size of some US living spaces ! Our house is particularly tiny because it is a historical property ( built in 1866, a bit of a spring chicken compared with many many uk properties) in a conservation zone. We have 4 rooms, the largest of which is 12' x 12' plus the tiniest bathroom in the world. Parking is awful, no garage, no drive, limited space on the street. Our garden is quite big by modern uk standards, around 150 feet long but only 20 feet wide ! We are a family of 3 plus a dog and two guinea pigs who live indoors. I adore my home but sometimes I would love some space :-)