PDA

View Full Version : Qustion about using my Credit Card?

abacobaby
09-02-2005, 01:21 PM
Okay, I know this is going to sound really strange. Some background info - we live in the Bahamas and personally do not use our CC here at all. We only have it for emergencies, vacation, etc.

We have a DW trip planned for November. We have 2 shopping days planned. On one of these days we will be using *********** car service to go to the Florida Mall. *********** accepts payment on that day, so that is not a problem. For our other shopping day, we are planning to go on a shopping tour by Gatortours, which costs $35/person for 9 hours and stops at 4 different shopping areas (2malls/2outlet malls).

My problem/concern is that they require a CC payment when booking the tour. Since I do not know anything about this company, I don't know how comfortable I feel giving out my CC info/# to some stranger over the phone.

So, what do you all think? Am I just being paranoid? Should I just go ahead and book the tour and pay for it with my CC?

brymolmom
09-02-2005, 01:51 PM
I don't think you're paranoid at all. Identity theft is a real concern.

That being said, I am personally pretty laid back about using my cc over the phone, as long as I know I am dealing with a real company.

Think about it - even if they would wait and take your cc information right when you get there...what do you think the first thing they do with that cc information - RIGHT - they enter it into a computer. SO- if they do not secure their information properly you are at risk whether giving that info over the phone OR in person. Obviously if you plan to use cash upon arrival, that would be the safest route.

Some people have one credit card they use for online or over the phone transactions which has an intentionally low limit. That way- if anyone 'steals' it - they won't get too much. Mabye this is an option that would set your mind at ease.