View Full Version : Max Occupancy in DVC Resorts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

bpmorley
09-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Do what you think is right for you! :thumbsup2

I agree totally!!!!!!!!!!

Nanajo1
09-24-2006, 10:29 AM
We are a family of four. I would like to stay in a 1 BR villa and was wondering if Disney would supply a cot or air mattress. My kids are getting too old to share a bed. We usually put DS & DH in one bed and DD and I together, but to be honest, they are "kickers" and the adults end up with no sleep. If we had a cot, we could separate the kids and DH & I would share the bed :cloud9: Because of points, I'd like to avoid the 2-BR if I could. Any suggestions?
Disney will not supply an air mattress or cot in any of the DVC units. You can bring an air mattress or sleeping bag with you but no extra sheets will be supplied. You will have towels for four. You could make up a bed out of the sofa cushions depending on the age/size of your children.

MIDisFan
09-24-2006, 06:23 PM
I would recommend a call to Member Services to get an actual answer to your question rather than an opinion.

This is probably the best advice to take.

Disney's official policy is ........ but the unofficial policy is ....... a CM told me this..... and my guide told me......

How do you know what to believe? We are a family of five and our guide started our paperwork for SSR Friday. I bought enough points to stay in a 2 bedroom if neccessary. However, if MS says we can stay in a 1 Bedroom and it is comfortable for us, why shouldn't we do it to stretch our points.

Doctor P
09-24-2006, 06:28 PM
This is probably the best advice to take.

Disney's official policy is ........ but the unofficial policy is ....... a CM told me this..... and my guide told me......

How do you know what to believe? We are a family of five and our guide started our paperwork for SSR Friday. I bought enough points to stay in a 2 bedroom if neccessary. However, if MS says we can stay in a 1 Bedroom and it is comfortable for us, why shouldn't we do it to stretch our points.

Actually, there is only one thing that you can believe--the only thing that is binding is what is in writing in the POS. MS has been allowing five in a 1BR, but it should be noted that MS technically has no authority to allow it, so it is POSSIBLE (though highly unlikely) that someone could get to WDW and not be allowed to put more than the stated room occupancy into a room. I don't think that this will happen, and it would be very poor PR if the names are on the reservation. Nevertheless, anyone deciding to put more than the stated number (including the extra child under 3) should always be aware that this could happen and that there technically would be no recourse. Again, I don't think it will happen, but it should always, IMHO, be in the back of one's mind.

paults
09-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Actually, there is only one thing that you can believe--the only thing that is binding is what is in writing in the POS. MS has been allowing five in a 1BR, but it should be noted that MS technically has no authority to allow it, so it is POSSIBLE (though highly unlikely) that someone could get to WDW and not be allowed to put more than the stated room occupancy into a room. I don't think that this will happen, and it would be very poor PR if the names are on the reservation. Nevertheless, anyone deciding to put more than the stated number (including the extra child under 3) should always be aware that this could happen and that there technically would be no recourse. Again, I don't think it will happen, but it should always, IMHO, be in the back of one's mind.

also if MS is now allowing this then there's nothing stopping them from reversing this in the future if they get a lot of complaints from members.
MS has nothing in writing on this .(5 in 1 bedroom) and I don't think they can write it in now.

MIDisFan
09-24-2006, 07:48 PM

I agree with you 100% and think it should be as simple as what is written. I think what makes it complicated and this thread 80 something pages long is Disney having the official policy (written in the POS) and then having MS or Guides telling members that they don't enforce that policy or that the unofficial policy is to allow 5 people. And like yourself, I think it should be in the back of ones mind that they can decide to enforce what is written into the POS. I guess my thought was the only way to know if they are enforcing the rule or not at the moment is to call MS.

Doctor P
09-24-2006, 08:41 PM
No argument with that.

Mtnman44
10-20-2006, 03:21 PM
I have not read the whole thread but to add my two cents to the heap:

I don't understand why it's any business of the Hotel's as to whether you have 2, 3, or 4 kids or no kids. You paid for a room, you get a room. If you only have one or two people, do they give you a discount? NO. Now obviously, packing 35 migrant workers in there or something is a different story. It's only a "policy" to make it harder for people to share a room and to force them to get two rooms thus increasing sales revenue. I don't think they have a right to enforce that. It's as ridiculous as saying, "you can only use Disney-purchased soap and shampo in the bathroom."

I also don't have a problem bringing my own snacks to the movies, despite their "policy" of no outside food.

I'm an honest person, but I don't beleive they have a right to charge for a hotel room by the person. It costs them nothing more whether it's one person or 5 people. Ok, a few cents for extra water use perhaps and I'd be happy to pay that.

:sunny:

Chuck S
10-20-2006, 04:41 PM
I'm an honest person, but I don't beleive they have a right to charge for a hotel room by the person. It costs them nothing more whether it's one person or 5 people. Ok, a few cents for extra water use perhaps and I'd be happy to pay that.

:sunny:

Actually, many states have laws that DO give them the right, just as a landlord in some states can restrict how many people live in an apartment.

Mtnman44
10-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Well if they claim that somehow 5 people in a room would cost them(Disney) more, then surely one or two people in a room costs them less and they should charge accordingly. Otherwise, the argument is not intellecutally honest. Hence, it is a stupid rule and I doubt anyone at the hotel cares, as long as it is not abused. No one counts your family at check in and no one comes by your room to count people.

Actually, many states have laws that DO give them the right, just as a landlord in some states can restrict how many people live in an apartment.

Chuck S
10-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Actually, for everyone in your party to attend EMH they need room individual room IDs, so they would know how many are in your room. In a sense, they do "count your family" at check-in.

BTW, as I said, hotel occupancy, in many states, is more than a "stupid rule" it is a law. Many hotels charge based on double occupancy, with additional charges for 3rd and 4th person in a room. DVC simply bases their occupancy limits a little higher, is spelled out in the contracts we sign, along with Disney's right to change them unilaterally if they so choose. Of course, an "honest person" reads, understands, and follows rules set out in contracts to which they attach their signature.

disneyfan2kids
10-20-2006, 06:02 PM
... Of course, an "honest person" reads, understands, and follows rules set out in contracts to which they attach their signature.

popcorn::

Dean
10-20-2006, 07:19 PM
I have not read the whole thread but to add my two cents to the heap:

I don't understand why it's any business of the Hotel's as to whether you have 2, 3, or 4 kids or no kids. You paid for a room, you get a room. If you only have one or two people, do they give you a discount? NO. Now obviously, packing 35 migrant workers in there or something is a different story. It's only a "policy" to make it harder for people to share a room and to force them to get two rooms thus increasing sales revenue. I don't think they have a right to enforce that. It's as ridiculous as saying, "you can only use Disney-purchased soap and shampo in the bathroom."

I also don't have a problem bringing my own snacks to the movies, despite their "policy" of no outside food.

:sunny:There is increased wear and tear on the unit leading to extra rehab costs. Increased parking, pool use, competition for other recreation even the buses. Besides just being dishonest if one goes over without sharing that info with the resort/MS.

Deb & Bill
10-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Maybe you need to read the entire thread, Mtnman44. :sad2:

Mtnman44
10-21-2006, 01:17 AM
Sorry, 85 pages... :) No Way. I just wanted to add an opinion and I think I got the gist of what was basically being discussed. Maybe I'm speaking more in a general sense vs. particulalr situations at DVC. It's just some of these things really bug me. Like when the airline wants to charge you $100 to let someone else use your ticket.

disneybooked
10-21-2006, 06:54 AM
I have 3 children ( now 5,4 and 1), but what happens when my 1 year old is 4?
Disney should not tell me that I have to rent a 2 bedroom. I would never stick any adults(other than my husband and I) in my room. My kids, I think should be OK.

Deb & Bill
10-21-2006, 07:23 AM
Disney should not tell me that I have to rent a 2 bedroom. I would never stick any adults(other than my husband and I) in my room. My kids, I think should be OK.

Sorry, you'll actually need a two bedroom when your 1 yr old turns 3. If you are a member, you need to read up on your membership papers that you signed when you became a member. MS currently allows five people in a one bedroom, but they will not provide any additional bedding or linens. You still only get four bath towels. With all the other rules like transfers that Disney has decided to enforce, they could enforce the 4 in a one bedroom as well.

For those who choose not to read any of the previous 85 pages, there is a lot of talk of fire codes. Occupancy is based on fire codes and the ability for guests to evacuate safely during a fire. Evacuation requires "x" many square feet per person of the exit corridor, stairs and doorways. Too many people and the exits get blocked and people don't survive the fire. You willing to risk that?

Dean
10-21-2006, 07:28 AM
Disney should not tell me that I have to rent a 2 bedroom. I would never stick any adults(other than my husband and I) in my room. My kids, I think should be OK.Sorry, many of us feel differently. There are rules and one either knows or should know the rules prior to buying. Currently DVC will allow a 5th person in the 1 BR and will not count ONE child UNDER 3 in general though it's not 5 plus a child under 3. I realize many people are going to go beyond the rules anyway as there will always be dishonest, selfish people.

disneyfan2kids
10-21-2006, 08:13 AM
I understand you're obviously passionate about this topic...but that is the 2nd or 3rd time you've insinuated that someone else here is either "dishonest" or a "bum."

What happened to the "no name calling" rule???

To speak of what's ethical, moral, and "right" is hypocritical if you're insulting others in the same sentence.

JMHO.

Deb & Bill
10-21-2006, 08:23 AM
I understand you're obviously passionate about this topic...but that is the 2nd or 3rd time you've insinuated that someone else here is either "dishonest" or a "bum."

To speak of what's ethical, moral, and "right" is hypocritical if you're insulting others in the same sentence.

JMHO.

There are people who read their literature before they buy and there are those who don't. Yes, it is dishonest to sneak people into the room when occupancy is stated as one less than they have. And it is selfish to think that the rules don't apply to you.

Never saw the word "bum" in his text. Did you????

He's not calling names, just stating facts. I thought your post was a little snide towards Dean. Just who is calling names??? [Oh, darn, now someone will tell me I'm calling names. People who try to follow the rules and ask others to do so just get called all sorts of names like Disney Police]

disneyfan2kids
10-21-2006, 08:28 AM
I'm not getting dragged into this...hahaha!

I just bought into DVC (yet to stay there) so I don't know how I feel about the occupancy thing yet.

However, I did read through this thread and I stand my ground that some people are just getting downright "mean".

Kinda bums me out...most other threads are just so "disney" and happy!

Deb & Bill
10-21-2006, 08:40 AM
I'm not getting dragged into this...hahaha!

I just bought into DVC (yet to stay there) so I don't know how I feel about the occupancy thing yet.

However, I did read through this thread and I stand my ground that some people are just getting downright "mean".

When you sink $50+K in a timeshare and others don't seem to think the rules apply to them, it kind of bums you out (oops, used that word "bum"). If you read through the entire thread, it started over 2 yrs ago and originally was multiple threads that were pieced together. So each time someone posted a thread about "what's so bad about squeezing the entire football team into a studio" ( ;) ), members with a vested interested tried to set them right. At one point, they started adding that thread to this thread. That's why you see so many people posting the same thing over and over. Most recently, they have been locking threads about occupancy after one or two responses and direct the OP of the newest thread over to this thread.

When this thread pops up in my User CP, I have to read the latest whine. Sometimes I post, others I don't. Heck, probably 1/3 of my nearly 9,900 posts might be on this thread alone. :rotfl2:

disneyfan2kids
10-21-2006, 08:52 AM
I have my first DVC trip planned in January. I have 6 plus 2 (under 3) in a studio... am I OK?

(JUST KIDDING...!) I know, I know ... BAD joke. Just a sad attempt at humor to lift the mood! :rotfl2:

dianeschlicht
10-21-2006, 09:11 AM
Many of us feel protective of the occupancy rules, because constant "bending" of those rules leads to extra wear and tear, and ultimately more expense for all of us in the form of higher maintenance fees. I know your "6 plus 2 (under 3) in a studio" was a joke, but you can see from that far out example exactly what many of us are talking about. lots of extra people in a pace not designed for that many causes LOTS of problems with maintenance, not to mention fire code violations. Safetly should be the first consideration. A lot of owners feel like it is like turning DVC into a slum of sorts. Maybe part of the blame has to be on Disney itself for touting DVC as a "money saver".

tjkraz
10-21-2006, 09:18 AM

The problem is that in any large community of people, you have those who feel justified in violating the stated rules in their own ways. The occupancy limits are written in black and white. I don't even see this as being a moral or ethical debate. It is what it is.

Some Disney guests will smoke in a non-smoking room and think nothing of it. Is that OK? How would you like being in the room beneath that smoker and have the scent wafting in your balcony door throughout your trip?

If non-Disney guests walk over to SSR from Downtown Disney and help themselves to the pool, is that OK? It wouldn't bother you to hear the people next to you discussing how great the Hilton is, even though you couldn't get enough chairs around the pool for your family?

And, if you were to discover that the One Bedroom villa above yours had 6 or 7 friends / family members sharing it for the week, would that be OK? You wouldn't mind the additional noise generated by 7 people as opposed to 4?

Rules are designed to give every owner equal footing. It would be nice if everyone could respectfully try to abide by those rules rather than selectively deciding which should or should not apply to them.

allison k
10-21-2006, 09:37 AM
It is what it is.

Not even going to get in on this topic, but I just wanted to say that the above is one my favorite sayings. When everyone work complains about a change, my attitude is "It is what it is," so make the best of it and do my best to make it work.

Occupancy rule: It is what it is! :)

Pootle
10-21-2006, 10:11 AM

JMHO.

I rarely join in controversial threads but I just had to say that anyone who ignores rules that don't suit them when they signed up to those very same rules is being dishonest. I don't think that's a matter of opinion!

But, the reason I had to post is to let you know that Dean is one of the most helpful and knowledgeable people around here and does not get involved in personal attacks so I rather think your post was over the top.

JMHO

Dean
10-21-2006, 10:12 AM

JMHO.Actually I didn't insult anyone. What I did was speak to an action, not a specific person. If you have 5 and tell them 4, you would be dishonest, period. I'f you find that insulting, so be it.

disneyfan2kids
10-21-2006, 10:22 AM
(Someone made a comment about "homeless bums" staying in a studio... and you responded with:
I thought some already were, LOL.

That sounds mean to me.

Dean
10-21-2006, 10:36 AM
(Someone made a comment about "homeless bums" staying in a studio... and you responded with:

That sounds mean to me.Sorry you took it that way, it was simply a light hearted and related to current and past discussions between the same people. I wouldn't want to insult the homeless person, only the person who secretly goes over the occupancy limit, or who smokes in a NS unit or doesn't include the entire party size on the reservation for the DDP and the like.

Doctor P
10-21-2006, 10:36 AM
For me, a major issue has always been the integrity of the written documents as a whole. One of the things that makes a society or community work is the ability to make voluntary contracts and to have the terms of those contracts enforced. It is in every member's best interest to have the terms of our contract enforced, even if the enforcement of a PARTICULAR term or condition may be inconvenient or disagreeable. IMHO, if we do not expect and insist on the terms of our contract being enforced, our ownership can end up having no value or attractiveness.

disneyfan2kids
10-21-2006, 10:44 AM
I haven't stayed at my DVC yet, so (admittedly) my opinion means little.

However, it keeps being said/hinted that the people who go above 4 (or whatever) are of unsavory character.

But it seems to me as if MS is allowing it, so these people aren't "lying" or being dishonest...right? :confused3

Doctor P
10-21-2006, 10:51 AM

However, it keeps being said/hinted that the people who go above 4 (or whatever) are of unsavory character.

But it seems to me as if MS is allowing it, so these people aren't "lying" or being dishonest...right? :confused3

Some people have and do lie about room occupancy according to various posts on these boards (and advice given on these boards). Without exception, that is being dishonest.

Dean
10-21-2006, 11:11 AM

But it seems to me as if MS is allowing it, so these people aren't "lying" or being dishonest...right? :confused3You'll note that I've generally been careful to draw a line between those who secretly do these types of things and those who do not. Up to a point, if they tell MS what's going on and MS expressly allows it, any complaints would be with MS and DVC. So if one tells MS 10 in a studio and the confirmation says 10 for the studio, I wouldn't blame you. I'd think you were nuts but that's another thread, LOL.

BTW, your opinion means as much as mine or anyone. And on this subject I doubt the number of stays or length of ownership have any impact.

disneyfan2kids
10-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Well, I'm set for 6 people (in 2 studios) at SSR in January, and 7 people (in 2 studios) at BWV for Aug.

I guess I'll form my own opinions then regarding occupancy.... or not...maybe I'll just not form opinions and have a GREAT time!

In the meantime, I'm just looking forward to actually getting to that point....oye the planning!!! YAY! :banana:

Dean
10-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Well, I'm set for 6 people (in 2 studios) at SSR in January, and 7 people (in 2 studios) at BWV for Aug.

I guess I'll form my own opinions then regarding occupancy.... or not...maybe I'll just not form opinions and have a GREAT time!

In the meantime, I'm just looking forward to actually getting to that point....oye the planning!!! YAY! :banana:Have a great trip.

PrincessJasmine08
10-21-2006, 02:59 PM
Someone a few pages back mentioned that you could in fact arrive at your DVC resort with 5 booked in a one bedroom and be turned away since 5 in a 1 bedroom is an unwritten rule. Things like this always make me wonder about people who don't read the DIS. Someone who didn't read these posts would think they were fine with 5 in a 1 bedroom because MS allowed it. They would assume MS wouldn't allow it if there was going to be a problem. This could lead to all kinds of problems. I think they need to either officially allow 5 or be very strict on enforcing the fact that only 4 are allowed, why stand somewhere in between?

Dean
10-21-2006, 06:04 PM
Someone a few pages back mentioned that you could in fact arrive at your DVC resort with 5 booked in a one bedroom and be turned away since 5 in a 1 bedroom is an unwritten rule. Things like this always make me wonder about people who don't read the DIS. Someone who didn't read these posts would think they were fine with 5 in a 1 bedroom because MS allowed it. They would assume MS wouldn't allow it if there was going to be a problem. This could lead to all kinds of problems. I think they need to either officially allow 5 or be very strict on enforcing the fact that only 4 are allowed, why stand somewhere in between?I would prefer the enforce the rules as written. But given the facts, I would be surprised if they turned 5 away for a 1 BR if they were indeed registered for a 1 BR. I can't even see them turning 5 away if only 4 are registered. Technically they do have the right to do so.

While everyone talks about the semi official 5 in a 1 BR, everyone seems to forget that DVC tightened up significantly on other variations including 5 in a studio, which they were routinely allowing prior to this change.

PrincessJasmine08
10-21-2006, 08:14 PM
I would prefer the enforce the rules as written. But given the facts, I would be surprised if they turned 5 away for a 1 BR if they were indeed registered for a 1 BR. I can't even see them turning 5 away if only 4 are registered. Technically they do have the right to do so.

While everyone talks about the semi official 5 in a 1 BR, everyone seems to forget that DVC tightened up significantly on other variations including 5 in a studio, which they were routinely allowing prior to this change.

They were allowing 5 adults in a studio?! Wow that would be cozy!

greenban
11-18-2006, 11:51 AM
Bumping up one ofmy most favorite threads!

-Tony

crys5
11-18-2006, 12:03 PM
I read on the community board that someone who went to a member meeting at SSR was told that MS has officially raised the occupancy limits in a 1BR to 5 adults. If true, this should take some of the heat out of this topic. They still will not provide extra linens.
Hi,
I just wanted to say i am sorry if i got anyone upset about my post asking if 9 people could stay in a 2 bedroom at BWV. I didn't see what was so wrong asking that question since i read the above statement. Besides the people going were 4 adults 2 juniors 3 children including a 3 year old, all of which are my children. I figured 5 adults in a 1 bedroom, would mean 10 in a 2 and this would be 4 and the rest children...sorry

greenban
11-18-2006, 12:18 PM
Hi,
I just wanted to say i am sorry if i got anyone upset about my post asking if 9 people could stay in a 2 bedroom at BWV. I didn't see what was so wrong asking that question since i read the above statement. Besides the people going were 4 adults 2 juniors 3 children including a 3 year old, all of which are my children. I figured 5 adults in a 1 bedroom, would mean 10 in a 2 and this would be 4 and the rest children...sorry

No No No, don't be sorry.

Your questions were fine and sincere.

This is a hot topic with three or four main camps:

1) The Disney Police (Jack Booted Stormtroopers)
Anyone even thinking about it is evil and must be destroyed. They are a very small percentage, and due to limitations in conveying tone and intent in the written word often come off much harsher than they intended.

2) The Rule Followers (I'm in here except for speed limits, but that is another thread). Following rules keeps us all civilized. Maximum benefit for the most. Despite what may be written down, MS officially allows 5 of any age in a 1 Bedroom, 9 of any age in a 2 Bedroom and 13 of any age in a GV (This is contrary to our POS which states the last guest must be under three). MS will allow 5 in a studio if 1 is under three as well! We (this group) tend to feel it doesn't matter what MS allows everyone else to do, we must follow the written word.

3) The I'm special group: Anything I can get away with I will. Using my kids Dining Plan for adult meals (software loophole 2006), Morphing points to other resorts (software loophole 1992), 32 in a studio,taking beach towels back to thier rooms, checking out after 11AM, etc. Reusing Mugs at other resorts or between years, Holding lounge chairs at the feature pool with their stolen towels, etc. They consume far more resources then they are entitled to and hurt the masses.

4) Hey Man,I'm cool with that, just be mellow. A large group that believes in live and let live. I won't bother yoy, please don't bother me!

5) Rinkwide. A class of his own!

Seriously, even if it seemed that you were jumped upon, for this group (DIS) and this topic (occupancy) it was pretty mellow.

You are a good person, and upset/offended no one (who is human) by your question. Stick around, ask many mor questions and post away!

-Tony

jarestel
11-18-2006, 01:54 PM
The written/signed documents do list room occupancies that are a bit more restrictive than MS adheres to, but I also believe (though I haven't read the fine print in a millenium or two) that DVC, as the managing entity for the timeshare association, does have the right to alter terms as they see fit.

I always encourage people to get answers to these sorts of questions by contacting MS, rather than contacting an internet forum and requesting opinions, some of which may at times cast aspersions on the character of the person asking the question. Who needs that? I guess I'll suggest contacting MS in this case as well.

Of course, MS has the final say and all parties should abide by their decision whether the answer was what they had hoped for or not.

3DisneyKids
11-18-2006, 02:22 PM
No No No, don't be sorry.

2) The Rule Followers (I'm in here except for speed limits, but that is another thread). Following rules keeps us all civilized. Maximum benefit for the most. Despite what may be written down, MS officially allows 5 of any age in a 1 Bedroom, 9 of any age in a 2 Bedroom and 13 of any age in a GV (This is contrary to our POS which states the last guest must be under three). MS will allow 5 in a studio if 1 is under three as well! We (this group) tend to feel it doesn't matter what MS allows everyone else to do, we must follow the written word.

3) The I'm special group: Anything I can get away with I will. Using my kids Dining Plan for adult meals (software loophole 2006), Morphing points to other resorts (software loophole 1992), 32 in a studio,taking beach towels back to thier rooms, checking out after 11AM, etc. Reusing Mugs at other resorts or between years, Holding lounge chairs at the feature pool with their stolen towels, etc. They consume far more resources then they are entitled to and hurt the masses.

-Tony

Hi Tony and thanks for a fun post! I think, though, that there may be a category somewhere in between "The Rule Followers" and "The I'm Special Group". Not sure what to call this gang of DVCers, but something along the lines of "I follow the rules unless MS says I don't have to." Meaning, that we do not blatantly disregard rules. In fact, we have respect for the rules and do our best to abide by them. However, when MS actually SUGGESTS to us that we should consider a 1 BR for our family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids, all still young, though over 3) in order to save some points, I think this is acceptable.

The fact that MS allows 5 in a 1 BR is enough of a rule for me...even though it is not what is written. If they say it is ok, then I have no problem doing it. I would never put 6 in there (wouldn't be fun anyway) or anything else "sneaky." But as long as MS knows about it and is fine with it, then so am I. If in the future MS decides to go back to the "letter of the law" and enforce the 4 person rule, then we will abide by that and start reserving 2 Brs.

Then again, AKV 1 BRs (at least SOME of them) will allow 5 "legally" so perhaps occupancy may become less of an issue....

greenban
11-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Hi Tony and thanks for a fun post! I think, though, that there may be a category somewhere in between "The Rule Followers" and "The I'm Special Group". Not sure what to call this gang of DVCers, but something along the lines of "I follow the rules unless MS says I don't have to." Meaning, that we do not blatantly disregard rules. In fact, we have respect for the rules and do our best to abide by them. However, when MS actually SUGGESTS to us that we should consider a 1 BR for our family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids, all still young, though over 3) in order to save some points, I think this is acceptable.

The fact that MS allows 5 in a 1 BR is enough of a rule for me...even though it is not what is written. If they say it is ok, then I have no problem doing it. I would never put 6 in there (wouldn't be fun anyway) or anything else "sneaky." But as long as MS knows about it and is fine with it, then so am I. If in the future MS decides to go back to the "letter of the law" and enforce the 4 person rule, then we will abide by that and start reserving 2 Brs.

Then again, AKV 1 BRs (at least SOME of them) will allow 5 "legally" so perhaps occupancy may become less of an issue....

You are so right.......

Another (sadly, rare group) is the Intelligenzia. These are people who actually think BEFORE they act. They calmly and rationally seek out the acurate answer by talking to those in charge, instead of blindly following a 15+ year old document. They are non-judgemental, and reasonable, not demanding their way, but researching the truth.

As you can imagine, all the other groups hate these people!

-Tony

Doctor P
11-18-2006, 06:53 PM

-Tony

As one of the rule followers (and proud of it I might add ;)), I must point out the incorrect statement in your post: nowhere in the POS is the under three exception stated. The occupancy limits in the POS are 4 for Studios and 1BR, 8 for 2BR, and 12 for GV. The additional child under three is merely a concession made by MS and is neither binding nor in the POS.

TenThousandVolts
11-18-2006, 07:52 PM
I am thinking of purchasing DVC- What is the deal with max. occupancy- It says studio and one bedrooms sleep four- but I know my family could be comfortable in a 1 bedroom even though we are a family of 5. I asked the DVC salesperson and she said they allow 5 in a studio or a 1 bedroom. Is this true?

tjkraz
11-18-2006, 07:59 PM
What he told you is correct, they do allow 5. But as you noted, the current policy is not in writing so it would be subject to change at any time. Up until 18 months ago, DVC held rigidly to the printed guidelines. Whether they will change again is a topic for endless debate.

Rumor has it the forthcoming DVC development at the Animal Kingdom Lodge will have sleeping accommodations for 5, at least in the One Bedroom units (probably adding a convertible chair in the living room), but that's just one of many details about AKV that have yet to be confirmed in writing.

CarolMN
11-19-2006, 07:46 AM
I am thinking of purchasing DVC- What is the deal with max. occupancy- It says studio and one bedrooms sleep four- but I know my family could be comfortable in a 1 bedroom even though we are a family of 5. I asked the DVC salesperson and she said they allow 5 in a studio or a 1 bedroom. Is this true?
It's not true for a studio unless one of the 5 is under the age of three. A portable Pac 'n Play crib is provided for the infant.

MS has reportedly been allowing 5 persons of any age in a 1 bedroom unit, but no extra bedding is provided for the 5th person. You'll need to provide your own.

If 5 in a studio/1 bedroom unit is important to you, ask your sales guide why the POS states four. Ask if he/she will put 5 in writing for you and see what happens. :teeth: :teeth: Proceed at your own risk.

greenban
11-19-2006, 07:52 AM
As one of the rule followers (and proud of it I might add ;)), I must point out the incorrect statement in your post: nowhere in the POS is the under three exception stated. The occupancy limits in the POS are 4 for Studios and 1BR, 8 for 2BR, and 12 for GV. The additional child under three is merely a concession made by MS and is neither binding nor in the POS.

I stand corrected Sir!

I bow to your knowledge of the POS!

I also (along with most of the DIS veterans, I think) know you are a proud rule follower!

Thanks,

-Tony

Doctor P
11-19-2006, 08:29 AM
I stand corrected Sir!

I bow to your knowledge of the POS!

I also (along with most of the DIS veterans, I think) know you are a proud rule follower!

Thanks,

-Tony

Thanks for taking it in the spirit it was intended, Tony. :)

jacejace
12-08-2006, 05:45 PM
we are planning a big family trip and wondering what type(s) of rooms to get. there are a couple of small children and wanted to know if children under the age of 3 are included in the maximum occupancy for rooms?

Sammie
12-08-2006, 05:56 PM
we are planning a big family trip and wondering what type(s) of rooms to get. there are a couple of small children and wanted to know if children under the age of 3 are included in the maximum occupancy for rooms?

That depends. If the occupany is 4, then you can have 4 over the age of 3 and one under the age of 3. You can't have more than one under the age of 3 in the room over the stated limit.

Dean
12-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Yes they are included in the occupancy. DVC has had an unofficial policy of routinely allowing one child under 3 above the stated occupancy. But that's not 5 in a 1 BR AND another child under 3 both for a total of 6.

dumbo71
12-09-2006, 07:25 AM
It's not true for a studio unless one of the 5 is under the age of three. A portable Pac 'n Play crib is provided for the infant.

MS has reportedly been allowing 5 persons of any age in a 1 bedroom unit, but no extra bedding is provided for the 5th person. You'll need to provide your own.

If 5 in a studio/1 bedroom unit is important to you, ask your sales guide why the POS states four. Ask if he/she will put 5 in writing for you and see what happens. :teeth: :teeth: Proceed at your own risk.

I'd want the 5 in writing from someone higher up than a DVC guide. They will write anything on paper to sell some points. :rolleyes:

I'd love to be the CM checking in these families of 5 who pull out a note from their guide saying it was allowed. :rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2: Now that would be funny. I'd then pull out a copy of the POS showing 4 and then giving them only 4 keys. Have fun getting the 5 into EMH and other things requiring keys. :woohoo:

This is why I will NEVER be a CM at WDW. You can all thank me now for that one. :thumbsup2

A rule is a rule in my book. Just because MS allows it doesn't make it right. That "rule" bending by MS is subject to change at any time. Even during YOUR trip to the world.

Why risk it book a room thAt LEGALLY ALLOWS THIS.

Dean
12-09-2006, 08:04 AM
I'd want the 5 in writing from someone higher up than a DVC guide. They will write anything on paper to sell some points. :rolleyes:

I'd love to be the CM checking in these families of 5 who pull out a note from their guide saying it was allowed. :rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2: Now that would be funny. I'd then pull out a copy of the POS showing 4 and then giving them only 4 keys. Have fun getting the 5 into EMH and other things requiring keys. :woohoo:

This is why I will NEVER be a CM at WDW. You can all thank me now for that one. :thumbsup2

A rule is a rule in my book. Just because MS allows it doesn't make it right. That "rule" bending by MS is subject to change at any time. Even during YOUR trip to the world.

Why risk it book a room thAt LEGALLY ALLOWS THIS.If MS takes the reservation and puts the number you plan in the unit (i.e. 5 in a studio), I think you are safe. No absolute guarantees but then again, you could walk in with a confirmation that was totally legal in every way and still end up without a room for one of several reasons.

minnie61650
12-09-2006, 08:49 AM
If MS takes the reservation and puts the number you plan in the unit (i.e. 5 in a studio), I think you are safe. No absolute guarantees but then again, you could walk in with a confirmation that was totally legal in every way and still end up without a room for one of several reasons.

I do not know how the fire codes could allow 5 in a DVC studio.

Here is an interesting reply a Dis member recieved from Disney after inquiring why POR is only the only mod that will sleep 5.

From this thread:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1287974&page=5&pp=15

Well guys...I wrote to Disney and inquired about the reasons why a roll-a-way or trundle could not be put in other rooms besides POR -AB. This was there response:

"Although we appreciate your interest, please know Florida safety and
fire codes restrict additional bedding due to the reduction in fire
access and egress."

So, it's technically the bedding that restricts this - not the extra person, or the size of the room. This would explain why they are allowing a 5th person to be booked in a one bedroom through DVC but not supplying the bedding.

I have to say I find this interesting and not what I expected to hear!

Any thoughts?

Dean
12-09-2006, 09:14 AM
I do not know how the fire codes could allow 5 in a DVC studio.

Here is an interesting reply a Dis member recieved from Disney after inquiring why POR is only the only mod that will sleep 5.

From this thread:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1287974&page=5&pp=15Can't speak to the fire codes but I can tell you that DVC has always allowed 5 in as studio if one was less than 3. And that prior to a couple of years ago, they routinely allowed 5 in a studio regardless of age. I'm not saying they should, frankly I think they should strictly enforce the occupancy to the letter, but that's just me.

bpmorley
12-09-2006, 09:47 AM

Why risk it book a room thAt LEGALLY ALLOWS THIS.
So you've never bent a rule ever?

minnie61650
12-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Can't speak to the fire codes but I can tell you that DVC has always allowed 5 in as studio if one was less than 3. And that prior to a couple of years ago, they routinely allowed 5 in a studio regardless of age. I'm not saying they should, frankly I think they should strictly enforce the occupancy to the letter, but that's just me.

All of the rooms at Disney allow for 1 extra under the age 3.
The extra child under 3 is not an issue as the fire marshals assume a child under three will be lifted out of the pack and play carried to safety. That is why Disney states 1 additional child in a pack and play under the age of 3.
(Of course they do not expect you to keep the child in the pack and play the entire time you are in the room .)
Therefore that child (they assume) does not take up floor space(since the child is being carried) when evacuating a building so they do not need to add that child in the fire access code.

But the 5 in a studio regardless of age seems to be against the fire code.
Which may be why Disney will not add bedding, or towels.
Maybe Disney does not want to be held liable or fined.
Maybe MS is willing to take the chance just to book a few more rooms.

I also think MS should strictly enforce the occupancy to the letter.

I am afraid if MS is allowing this they are taking the chance of not only being fined but they are risking their fire insurance policy as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Scraper
12-12-2006, 12:54 PM
[QUOTE=greenban]No No No, don't be sorry.

1) The Disney Police (Jack Booted Stormtroopers)
Anyone even thinking about it is evil and must be destroyed. They are a very small percentage, and due to limitations in conveying tone and intent in the written word often come off much harsher than they intended.

4) Hey Man,I'm cool with that, just be mellow. A large group that believes in live and let live. I won't bother yoy, please don't bother me!

5) Rinkwide. A class of his own!

Seriously, even if it seemed that you were jumped upon, for this group (DIS) and this topic (occupancy) it was pretty mellow.

You are a good person, and upset/offended no one (who is human) by your question. Stick around, ask many mor questions and post away!

-Tony[/QUOTE ) I did not know I was in a group but I guess Iam in group 4.

gtrist4life
12-15-2006, 10:50 AM
Well I didn’t make it through all of this thread (read about the first two and the last 6 or so pages); but I found enough to help us make our decision.

We’re planning on treating very dear friends of ours to DVC accommodations in 2008. They have 3 kids that in 2008 will be 3, 5.5 , and 7.5. We told them that we can reserve a 2BR for their family. After hearing about getting 5 in a Studio or 1BR if one is under 3, I had thought about “stretching” points and reserving a 1BR for them;

I'm glad I found this thread, as we’re going with our original plans and will reserve a 2BR for them. (As a side question, which would you pick OKW or BWV std?)

MS and the POS really should be speaking from the same script; one should change, my vote would be for an age limit for a 5th person in a studio and 1BR. Maybe when the AKV details (about increased occupancies) come out would be a good time to correct this issue.

Peace,
G4L

Disney Fanatic
01-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Hi Everyone

We are looking to get away on a vacation because we had twins 7 months ago and really need a vacation.

We have a 6 year old son as well who will be travelling with us.

When we bought into DVC we bought enough points to have a studio because it fit our needs perfectly.

Now we realize we need a one bedroom as it makes so much more sense with the space and the kitchen and laundry facilities.

We wanted to bring along our nephew to go on the rides with our 6 year old and he would sleep on the couch with him but MS says this is not allowed.

We would have to spend another $1100.00 to bring him along! Unfortunately we cannot afford to do this and now have to break the bad news to him.

I think I read (but may be wrong) on the resorts board that infants don't count towards the room occupancy. Does anyone know if this is true?

Anyway, our initial points we bought are not going to go very far once they hit 3 years old because we have to jump from a studio to a 2 bedroom!! OUCH!:sad2:

dianeschlicht
01-01-2007, 08:30 PM
You should be able to have both infants and the two older children while the twins fit in a Pac N Play, but yes, you WILL need a 2 bedroom once the twins get over 3.

It's one thing I think the sales people don't do well enough. Timeshares have traditionally been based on a 1-3 bedroom plan, and that is what DVC ws originally as well, but many folks try to cut corners now that DVC lowered teh buy in point to just 150 points. Originally, I think the buy in was 220 or 230 and that would get you a 2 bedroom for a week in value season at OKW.

Boston5602
01-01-2007, 08:47 PM
You should be able to have both infants and the two older children while the twins fit in a Pac N Play, but yes, you WILL need a 2 bedroom once the twins get over 3.

It's one thing I think the sales people don't do well enough. Timeshares have traditionally been based on a 1-3 bedroom plan, and that is what DVC ws originally as well, but many folks try to cut corners now that DVC lowered teh buy in point to just 150 points. Originally, I think the buy in was 220 or 230 and that would get you a 2 bedroom for a week in value season at OKW.

A guy at work has 220 points because that was the min. Disney sold , so he has told me.

Dean
01-01-2007, 09:14 PM
A guy at work has 220 points because that was the min. Disney sold , so he has told me.I believe it was 230 initially then they lowered it to 190 then 150. I am not aware of any other stops along the way but it's possible there were.

Deb & Bill
01-01-2007, 09:49 PM
If you have two adults, two kids three years or older and two kids under the age of three, you have five people plus one under the age of three. Only one of the infants will not count. The other will. DVC and WDW allow ONE child under the age of three. You can't do a one bedroom with six (that includes the infant), but they will allow five (with no additional bedding or linens).

As long as you don't bring anyone along, you should be fine in a one bedroom until the kids don't like to sleep together anymore or MS goes back to what the Public Offering Statement lists as occupancy limits (four in a one bedroom or studio, eight in a two bedroom and twelve in a grand villa).

Chuck S
01-02-2007, 08:35 AM
I believe it was 230 initially then they lowered it to 190 then 150. I am not aware of any other stops along the way but it's possible there were.

I think there was a 170 or 175 minimum for a short time.

dumbo71
01-02-2007, 08:45 AM

Now or as a kid?

I'm sure I've bent rules as a child but as an adult I follow the rules as spelled out. ( well, I did break a posting rule here on the Dis and was given a point but did so accidentally)

I find it very funny how many pick the rules they would like to follow based on their needs at the time.

I'm not looking to cheat the system or get something for free. As related to this thread if I have more than FOUR (4) I book a 2 bedroom, period. In fact I normally book a 2 bedroom for three (3) of us now.

I'm certainly not perfect but I do try to follow the rules especially when speeld out by the POS I received when I purchased.

Remember MS is data entry employees. Anything they say should be taken with a grain of salt. The average poster here on the DIS has far more knowledge of DVC than they do.

3DisneyKids
01-02-2007, 08:50 AM

He's in favor of commercial renting and that is clearly against the POS. Some people pick and choose which rules are ok, I guess....

Dean
01-02-2007, 08:58 PM
He's in favor of commercial renting and that is clearly against the POS. Some people pick and choose which rules are ok, I guess....I can't speak for others but I can tell you my definition of "commercial renting" would be far different than most on this board plus I don't think it'll hold up in court if it's challenged.

Scraper
01-02-2007, 09:37 PM
I get so confused reading these threads. I can not understand why if it is ok with MS and the people at the villas, why it would bother anyone else if some familys feel comfortable with sleeping 5 in a studio or one bedroom. No one is going to make these people sleep 5 why would you care what others do:confused3 as long as it does not effect you?

Dean
01-02-2007, 09:45 PM
No one is going to make these people sleep 5 why would you care what others do:confused3 as long as it does not effect you?That's just it, it does affect me. Stuffing the room leads to more people at the pool, more demand for parking places and similar issues plus higher maint costs due to increased wear and tear. And while there are other issues that contribute to these areas, they are additive and two wrongs don't make a right. We can argue the degree of effect but I don't see any way to argue that there are negative effects overall.

Deb & Bill
01-02-2007, 10:03 PM
I get so confused reading these threads. I can not understand why if it is ok with MS and the people at the villas, why it would bother anyone else if some familys feel comfortable with sleeping 5 in a studio or one bedroom. No one is going to make these people sleep 5 why would you care what others do:confused3 as long as it does not effect you?

When I bought my first points at OKW in 1997, I was informed that a studio and one bedroom slept 4, a two bedroom 8 and a grand villa slept 12. If I needed more points to get a larger villa, they advised me to purchase more. This is also what the public offering statement states. That's why I feel as I do. I'm following the rules. Why shouldn't others? These occupancies are based on fire codes and other building codes. It's really not up to MS to change the requirements.

"Got Disney"
01-02-2007, 10:07 PM
I have a question and don't get upset with me cause I'm a new DVC member.
I live in SanDiego...my family lives in Florida. My sister lives 2 hrs away from WDW. If she was to come to WDW and decided to spend the night with her 2 girls than that would be against the rules? even for that one night? So if there are 4 of us and 3 of them we would have to get a room with 2 bedrooms even if it was for one night? we could not do it with a one bedroom...just for one night?:confused3

Can we just than get a 2 bedroom for the night that she is coming? and switch back the next day?

Deb & Bill
01-02-2007, 10:17 PM
I live in SanDiego...my family lives in Florida. My sister lives 2 hrs away from WDW. If she was to come to WDW and decided to spend the night with her 2 girls than that would be against the rules? even for that one night? So if there are 4 of us and 3 of them we would have to get a room with 2 bedrooms even if it was for one night? we could not do it with a one bedroom...just for one night?:confused3

Can we just than get a 2 bedroom for the night that she is coming? and switch back the next day?

Everyone has questions some of the time. No problem with that. If your sister and her two daughters decided to stay with you in your villa, that would make 7 and you would need a two bedroom for that night. And, yes, you could get a two bedroom for just that one night and then go back to a reservation in a one bedroom. Last year for the marathon, we were in an OKW 1 bedroom. The day our friends from home arrived, we moved into a two bedroom (actually, they just unlocked the locked off studio - we worked this out ahead of time with the front desk and MS) for the rest of our stay. So we had four nights in a one bedroom and four nights in a two bedroom.

"Got Disney"
01-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Everyone has questions some of the time. No problem with that. If your sister and her two daughters decided to stay with you in your villa, that would make 7 and you would need a two bedroom for that night. And, yes, you could get a two bedroom for just that one night and then go back to a reservation in a one bedroom. Last year for the marathon, we were in an OKW 1 bedroom. The day our friends from home arrived, we moved into a two bedroom (actually, they just unlocked the locked off studio - we worked this out ahead of time with the front desk and MS) for the rest of our stay. So we had four nights in a one bedroom and four nights in a two bedroom.

:thumbsup2 popcorn:: this thread is good reading....lots of excitment and opinions

TenThousandVolts
01-03-2007, 11:30 AM
I am sorry- I can't read this whole thread- will they issue M.E. vouchers for 5 people in a 1 bdrm? Can you add the ddp for 5 people in a 1 bdrm?

Judique
01-03-2007, 11:47 AM

If it were me, I would just book an extra studio for the one night they are with you. I would not consider moving - it would make your family homeless for two extra days while you waited for rooms.

Mtnman44
01-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Unless MOST of the rooms are being stuffed I fail to see how this will meaningfully affect anyone's experience. The same number of people will be traveling and staying at the resort whether they are in one room or two or even if every person gets their own room.

Only time it starts to make a difference is if all rooms at the resort are sold out and then it would have to be a lot of rooms with +1 persons in them. Besides, would'nt all those be offset with all of the 2BRs that only have 5,6, or 7 people in them instead of the specified 8? If everyone used the 2BRs to the full "legal" 8 capacity, I suspect that would affect resort "crowds" more than these 5 member family situations would.

That's just it, it does affect me. Stuffing the room leads to more people at the pool, more demand for parking places and similar issues plus higher maint costs due to increased wear and tear. And while there are other issues that contribute to these areas, they are additive and two wrongs don't make a right. We can argue the degree of effect but I don't see any way to argue that there are negative effects overall.

dianeschlicht
01-09-2007, 03:20 PM

You could arrange for a lock-off unit and add the 2nd bedroom just one night and still stay in the 1 bedroom the rest of the nights. Another option is to just go ahead and reserve a studio for her and her kids for that one night. Either way stays within the guidelines.

3DisneyKids
01-09-2007, 03:23 PM
I am sorry- I can't read this whole thread- will they issue M.E. vouchers for 5 people in a 1 bdrm? Can you add the ddp for 5 people in a 1 bdrm?

Yes and yes.

tjkraz
01-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Unless MOST of the rooms are being stuffed I fail to see how this will meaningfully affect anyone's experience. The same number of people will be traveling and staying at the resort whether they are in one room or two or even if every person gets their own room.

Let's look at an example using a single two-bedroom lockoff unit. If a family of 6 were to cram into the one-bedroom portion, that leaves the studio to be booked by another family of 4 (or 5 or 6...) If you have 6 in the 1B side and just 4 in the Studio side, you've got 10 occupants in that unit.

By comparison, if the family of 6 is required to book a 2B, you've only got 6 occupants in the unit.

However you slice it, if people are exceeding the occupancy limits of the units, it's freeing up additional space for additional guests.

Besides, would'nt all those be offset with all of the 2BRs that only have 5,6, or 7 people in them instead of the specified 8? If everyone used the 2BRs to the full "legal" 8 capacity, I suspect that would affect resort "crowds" more than these 5 member family situations would.

But Disney knows that they won't have 8 occupants in every two-bedroom. Yes it would be permitted, but everything from room maintenance schedules to bus transportation routes are based upon some lesser average of guests. The more occupants you allow, the more those averages go up, and the more wear and tear the rooms experience.

On the surface it may seem irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. But let me ask you this: if two more people were to move into your house tomorrow, can you honestly say there wouldn't be any additional wear and tear (carpets, walls, appliances, furniture) exhibited over the next year? Five years? Ten years?

Chuck S
01-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Lord, I wouldn't want to be in the studio that is next to somebody with 6 or 7 people in a one bedroom. Imagine the noise just from the number of flushings and showers.

dianeschlicht
01-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Lord, I wouldn't want to be in the studio that is next to somebody with 6 or 7 people in a one bedroom. Imagine the noise just from the number of flushings and showers.

LOL! How true! Those toilets at OKW are high on the decibel scale!

Dean
01-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Unless MOST of the rooms are being stuffed I fail to see how this will meaningfully affect anyone's experience. The same number of people will be traveling and staying at the resort whether they are in one room or two or even if every person gets their own room.This is not true. If one gets two rooms no one else can get that room. If one rooms stuffs, not only will the wear and tear on that given unit be affected adversely but so will the density of all applicable issues. If you only get one unit and go over, then there will be someone else in the next unit with their cars and numbers added to the mix.

Only time it starts to make a difference is if all rooms at the resort are sold out and then it would have to be a lot of rooms with +1 persons in them. Besides, would'nt all those be offset with all of the 2BRs that only have 5,6, or 7 people in them instead of the specified 8? If everyone used the 2BRs to the full "legal" 8 capacity, I suspect that would affect resort "crowds" more than these 5 member family situations would.Any resort or hotel assumes that there will be less than maximum usage. So if you have 9 in a 2 BR and the next 2 BR has 6, that does not make up for the room stuffing in any way. The fact that there are other factors that also tend to increase maint costs is not applicable because they tend to be additive. But the point was that how one uses the resort does affect other people, it is not a victimless crime. We can then discuss how much it affects maint, etc and also rank different issues that tend to raise costs. Actually smoking is likely the largest single controllable cost.

HAPPY-AT-DISNEY
01-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Robin,
Hi Its Me From The Christmas Cruise..
In The Begining=i Have Been A Dvc Member Since 1993..when I Clled Ms To Make A Ressie And Askd How Many I Can Book Into A One Bedroom..they Said "it Is Your Membership, You Are Owner, How Many People Is Up To You" Thn A Few Years Later, Thy Tld Me Only 4 In Studio, 4 In One Bedroom,
Because Of The Fire Codes..
I Understand Some People May Add More Than This,
And Get Away With It..but Disney Had To Make Rules Mostly Because Of Fire Codes..that Is What I Understand. Anyway..
Hope All Is Going Back To Normal After Our Great Cruise...:coffee:

minnie61650
01-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Robin,
Hi Its Me From The Christmas Cruise..
In The Begining=i Have Been A Dvc Member Since 1993..when I Clled Ms To Make A Ressie And Askd How Many I Can Book Into A One Bedroom..they Said "it Is Your Membership, You Are Owner, How Many People Is Up To You" Thn A Few Years Later, Thy Tld Me Only 4 In Studio, 4 In One Bedroom,
Because Of The Fire Codes..
I Understand Some People May Add More Than This,
And Get Away With It..but Disney Had To Make Rules Mostly Because Of Fire Codes..that Is What I Understand. Anyway..
Hope All Is Going Back To Normal After Our Great Cruise...:coffee:

I agree fire codes determines the number of occupants allowed to sleep in a one bedroom at Disney.

CRO will not book 5 persons in a one bedroom DVC if all occupants are over the age of 3.

A little "birdie" told me the MS CM's are going to be informed they will not be allowed to book 5 over age of 3 in a one bedroom in the near future.

Please concider my info as a "friendly heads up" notice.

Bowen9475
01-10-2007, 11:27 AM
How do you think this will affect any reservations already made for 5 in a 1BR?
Thanks for your opinions!

Dean
01-10-2007, 01:28 PM
How do you think this will affect any reservations already made for 5 in a 1BR?
Thanks for your opinions!Not at all if the confirmation lists the 5.

Mtnman44
01-10-2007, 01:38 PM
I understand the basis of your argument and it is correct. My only point is that it is an impercetible affect the vast majority of the time. In reality, it only "frees" up another room for someone else if the hotel is fully booked such that the someone else wouldn't have been able to book a room otherwise. So, unless the rooms are sold out, the same number of people will be at the resort whether the family of five stuffs into the 1BR or takes the 2BR.

Do you have any way to calculate how much additional wear and tear a particualr 1 BR will have if it is occasionally "stuffed" with 5 people instead of 4? Won't the same amount of wear and tear occur if the family takes a 2BR instead, it will just be in a different unit. Wear and Tear is based on the number of people using stuff and walking around, regardless of what room they are in. So the resort overall will experience the same level of use by the family of 5 regardless of what unit they are in.

Either way, I doubt each unit gets "stuffed" often enough to overall affect the crowd level at the resort or the wear rate of any particular room. I'm not talking about some radical abuse event like 10 people bouncing on a bed every night. I'm talking about a standard situation of two parents and three kids. I'm quite confident that if we were able to conduct a three year study of a control room that always had a strict limit of 4 persons and one that occassionally was "stuffed" with 5 people, no one would be able to tell the difference.

I find this whole debate petty and unnecessary. JMHO of course. :)

This is not true. If one gets two rooms no one else can get that room. If one rooms stuffs, not only will the wear and tear on that given unit be affected adversely but so will the density of all applicable issues. If you only get one unit and go over, then there will be someone else in the next unit with their cars and numbers added to the mix.

Any resort or hotel assumes that there will be less than maximum usage. So if you have 9 in a 2 BR and the next 2 BR has 6, that does not make up for the room stuffing in any way. The fact that there are other factors that also tend to increase maint costs is not applicable because they tend to be additive. But the point was that how one uses the resort does affect other people, it is not a victimless crime. We can then discuss how much it affects maint, etc and also rank different issues that tend to raise costs. Actually smoking is likely the largest single controllable cost.

Dean
01-10-2007, 02:13 PM
I understand the basis of your argument and it is correct. My only point is that it is an impercetible affect the vast majority of the time. In reality, it only "frees" up another room for someone else if the hotel is fully booked such that the someone else wouldn't have been able to book a room otherwise. So, unless the rooms are sold out, the same number of people will be at the resort whether the family of five stuffs into the 1BR or takes the 2BR.I understand your argument but feel it falls down. In theory, all DVC resorts are sold out and should be full enough most of the time that there is little flexibility. Regardless, extra in a unit is extra no matter what the occupancy or density of the resort for that time and will POTENTIALLY change the experience for all guests. And since we're not talking a single unit per se, it is additive for all who do this. We know that some people are going to sneak around and do what they want no matter the rules. However, when it becomes an unofficial policy, the number that are willing to go over increases exponentially.

Do you have any way to calculate how much additional wear and tear a particualr 1 BR will have if it is occasionally "stuffed" with 5 people instead of 4? Won't the same amount of wear and tear occur if the family takes a 2BR instead, it will just be in a different unit. Wear and Tear is based on the number of people using stuff and walking around, regardless of what room they are in. So the resort overall will experience the same level of use by the family of 5 regardless of what unit they are in.I don't have any way to quantify though I'm sure there is info from with the industry for the insiders. Following is my opinion only. IMO, those willing to stuff the room are far less likely to take care of it. Also, when you reach a certain occupancy, the additional wear and tear is likely to go up FAR MORE than just the numbers would suggest. For example, I would expect the wear and tear for a 1 BR or studio with 5 is more like twice as much rather than simply 20% more compared to 4. But there are other factors of course.

Either way, I doubt each unit gets "stuffed" often enough to overall affect the crowd level at the resort or the wear rate of any particular room. I'm not talking about some radical abuse event like 10 people bouncing on a bed every night. I'm talking about a standard situation of two parents and three kids. I'm quite confident that if we were able to conduct a three year study of a control room that always had a strict limit of 4 persons and one that occassionally was "stuffed" with 5 people, no one would be able to tell the difference. I would take that bet if we had any way to follow up on it.

[/QUOTE]I find this whole debate petty and unnecessary. JMHO of course. :)[/QUOTE]Then skip it. I find it petty and selfish to stuff the rooms but as long as MS unofficially allows it that is where any blame lies for the 5 in a 1 BR for example.

The following is a quote of an email from a friend who has managed several Marriott hotels and timeshares. I asked him specifically about wear and tear from owner vs exchanger vs renter and this is what he said when he was GM at Marriott's Grande Ocean.

We don't have any scientific measures of this data but do have a general "feel" for what we experience. More accurately if I were to generalize, I would breakdown the usage and wear and tear based on the demographics rather than by ownership lines. Families with kids are harder on the villas than couples without. Within those groups we don't really experience a discernable variance in how much wear and tear each group causes. We will have the occasional weekend renters who use their villa as a party headquarters but so too do we experience situations where owners give their young adult kids a villa for a week and the same thing occurs. Because the "price of admission" is pretty high regardless of how you are staying on property, the general case is that people staying at MGO are responsible patrons who are out to enjoy a great vacation and only place normal wear and tear on the resort. The exceptions are there- but are not predominantly any one of owners, renters, or exchange guests etc...

I am confident saying that owners are more likely to call and report a problem and share their feedback which, ultimately, affords the site team a better opportunity to address the issue before it impacts another guest.

Mtnman44
01-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Dean,

Could we at least agree that if Disney kept non-guests off the property, at least at things like the pool and such, that this would provide a drastically larger benefit in terms of crowds, than the occasional 5 member family staying in a one bedroom unit?

For the reasons I've tried to list, I guess I'm just not too concerned about the family of five staying in a one bedroom. Most of these they just need a crib for a toddler anyway. I don't feel they are selfish or criminal or dishonest. I guess there are about 500 other things I could list that make a bigger negative impact to my vacations and the crowds. I'll focus my energy on those first.

Just my opinion. Have a great day...

Dean
01-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Dean,

Could we at least agree that if Disney kept non-guests off the property, at least at things like the pool and such, that this would provide a drastically larger benefit in terms of crowds, than the occasional 5 member family staying in a one bedroom unit?No, I would not be willing to concede that pool or resort crashing is a big problem and room stuffing a small one, they are both important and additive IMO. And I feel that rooms stuffing is a far more important issue overall and likely has a larger effect on the resorts amenities, esp at BCV, SSR and OKW. The reason I single these out is due to location for the last 2 and the aggressiveness of enforcement at BCV.

For the reasons I've tried to list, I guess I'm just not too concerned about the family of five staying in a one bedroom. Most of these they just need a crib for a toddler anyway. I don't feel they are selfish or criminal or dishonest. I guess there are about 500 other things I could list that make a bigger negative impact to my vacations and the crowds. I'll focus my energy on those first.

Just my opinion. Have a great day...And I would agree if this were all it was. But it's 4 plus an infant in this studio, 5 plus an infant in this 1 BR, 6 in this 1 BR and 9 or 10 in that 2 BR, etc. Then it comes down to honestly which is only an issue if one purposefully misleads. If one tells MS they have X in a unit, MS lists that number and the confirmation says that number, one is not dishonest but MS is inappropriate. But as I noted, all of these issues are additive whether it be for the trip itself or maint of the resort.

Boston5602
01-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Now I have not been a member long enough to know , but through threads on these boards have learned about.........past DVC furnishings and perks that if thought about in the aspect or putting more people in the room then we are suppose to and think of it terms of such , as in weren't there DVC coasters in the rooms and higher quality towels and other items discontinued because this member or that member said " its ok to take just 1 , what difference is just 1 going to make " but we find out it does make a difference even if we can't see it.

I think Dean is right in that more guests in a room than that is supposed to be contributes to a greater factor than we can either see or feel but the addition of it adds to higher degree of wear and tear and ease ( comfort ?) of use that we may or may not see directly . This all contributes to our personal enjoyment and quality of our vacations and the cost of our dues .

Dean
01-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Now I have not been a member long enough to know , but through threads on these boards have learned about.........past DVC furnishings and perks that if thought about in the aspect or putting more people in the room then we are suppose to and think of it terms of such , as in weren't there DVC coasters in the rooms and higher quality towels and other items discontinued because this member or that member said " its ok to take just 1 , what difference is just 1 going to make " but we find out it does make a difference even if we can't see it. For OKW there are a number of room items that are no longer available though I don't know they'd be directly related to the item of discussion at present though they do related to the integrity of a subset of the guests over time. Things I am recalling are cloth napkins and holders, many decorative items that are now either gone or glued down, a really attractive decorative shower curtain and the like.

dumbo71
01-10-2007, 09:37 PM
I agree fire codes determines the number of occupants allowed to sleep in a one bedroom at Disney.

CRO will not book 5 persons in a one bedroom DVC if all occupants are over the age of 3.

A little "birdie" told me the MS CM's are going to be informed they will not be allowed to book 5 over age of 3 in a one bedroom in the near future.

Please concider my info as a "friendly heads up" notice.

This might be the best single news I've heard in a while. I really hope you aren't pulling our chains.

Now if they did away with the DDP and free dining........ I might consider purchasing more points in the future.

shaynes0411
01-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Quick question, I'm looking into becoming a DVC member before the Jan. 20th deadline. My question is I currently have a family of five (me , my wife, & 3 boys ages 10, 8, 1) will I be able to book just a studio or 1 bedroom, or will I always have to reserve the 2 bedroom. I hate to use all those extra points when I know we would have no problem making due with the smaller accomodations. Let me know thanks!

TammyAlphabet
01-15-2007, 12:22 AM
Five are allowed in a one bedroom but no extra linens are provided. With an air mattress it is doable. Five in a studio would not be allowed and it would be a very tight squeeze.

greenban
01-15-2007, 04:18 AM
Hi and welcome to the DISboards! Hope to welcome you home to DVC Ownership as well.

You can use the studios currently with 4 adults and 1 child under age 3. There should be a pck 'n play (with linens) in the closet, if not, the DVC will provide one free of charge. You can also request highchairs and bedrails as needed.

Currently 5 of any age are allowed in 1 Bedrooms. This may change back to studio rules at anytime.

Problems. Once you experience a 1 Bedroom, it is very hard to go back to a studio, trust me here.

The same is more true for a 2 bedroom. We are also a family of five, and have stayed as 5 in all room types (following the rules).

-Tony

MommaX03
01-15-2007, 04:57 AM
Hi!

Welcome to considering DVC. This is the place to do your research.

Just so you know, there is sticky for the occupancy thread on this issue. It is worth a read. Check out the last couple of days worth of info. There is a rumor out there that 5 in a one-bedroom will no longer be allowed by Member Services in the near future.

I have a family of 5, which includes three little tykes. We were fully intending to do a one-bedroom for our first DVC trip, but we opted for a two-bedroom instead. We reasoned it is our vacation, and we do not want to lug an aerobed, linens and a pillow with us with all the other stuff. After many pre-DVC trips to the All-Star resorts, I value my space too much to do a DVC vacation cramped. Also, those three kids will not want to do the aerobed when they tower over me in the future. They will want a bed too! Buy the extra points now before the buy-in rate (point price) increases.

3DisneyKids
01-15-2007, 07:27 AM
You are "legal" to be in a studio, since your little guy is under 3. You are also legal in a 1-BR. Once your little one is 3, then the rules say that you need a 2 BR. However, as others have stated, right now MS is allowing 5 in a 1 BR. That may or may not change in the future--but it is certainly not guaranteed as it is against the POS.

I have 3 kids as well--younger than yours--and we do well in a 1 BR. I think all of you in a studio would not be much fun at all. You will love the 1 BR though. But yes as others have said--you'll never go back! That is one reason we still haven't done a 2 BR--we know it will be the end of us!

castleri
01-15-2007, 07:35 AM
We just stayed in a studio at SSR with just 3 adults and I would never do 5 in any configuration of ages in that size unit. Guess 8 1/2 years of DVC has really spoiled me.

dianeschlicht
01-15-2007, 07:53 AM
I agree, that teh 1 bedroom will be fine while your little one is still in the Pac N Play,l but with the ages of your children, you are definitely going to want a two bedroom in the very near future. That extra bathroom is a real PLUS! Also, as your children get older, they will want a real bed instead of a pull out sofa.

starbox
01-15-2007, 07:59 AM
There is a pretty substatial rumor that the Animal Kingdom DVC will acommodate larger families. Information should hopefully be forthcoming sometime this spring.

dianeschlicht
01-15-2007, 08:18 AM
There is a pretty substatial rumor that the Animal Kingdom DVC will acommodate larger families. Information should hopefully be forthcoming sometime this spring.

And that is exactly why I think they will no longer allow 5 in a 1 bedroom at the other DVC resorts afte AKV opens.

Doctor P
01-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Just to give full information, the occupancy of studios and 1BR villas is officially 4. Member Services has relaxed this to allow an additional child under 3 in a studio, and an additional person of any age in a 1BR (without any additional linens). There is no guarantee of either of these policies continuing in the future. Many people are under the misconception that the additional child under three is an official rule. It is not. It is simply a policy relaxation that may be withdrawn at any time (though I think that is unlikely).

lisareniff
01-15-2007, 09:14 AM
Regardless of the occupancy of the room, with young children the kitchen and washer/dryer are wonderful things!!

missymagic
01-15-2007, 12:26 PM
I love the one bedroom also...depending on the time of the year you go and for the length of time you stay should reflect in your paoints also. Something else to consider...do you go every year or do you go everyother year and have extra points you can borrow and use....many things to factor in. As my girls are getting older I like the extra space of a one bedroom...doing homework..making a nice breakfast instead of running out to a restaurant and then rushing to park opening..noone is on top of eachother if one is being crabby you can give them there cool down time away from the others...read the boards ask questions.....and decide what is best for your family

Scraper
01-15-2007, 01:30 PM
I know that others may need more room. But my family is very comfy in a one bedroom. The two boys sleep in the living room. My husband and I sleep in the big room as well as my step daughter on her blowup. The room seems very large to us and hubby and I get plenty of privacy at home so sharing with our daughter is nice and she enjoys it. She is 12. I hope they stay lax on the rule because when we bought in our seller was very lax on this point and said there would be no problem.:rolleyes1

dianeschlicht
01-15-2007, 01:37 PM
I know that others may need more room. But my family is very comfy in a one bedroom. The two boys sleep in the living room. My husband and I sleep in the big room as well as my step daughter on her blowup. The room seems very large to us and hubby and I get plenty of privacy at home so sharing with our daughter is nice and she enjoys it. She is 12. I hope they stay lax on the rule because when we bought in our seller was very lax on this point and said there would be no problem.:rolleyes1

Just don't be too surprised or too put out if and when DVC starts to enforce the policy in the documents you signed upon joining. I really would hate to have anyone miss out on things like EMH or something of that nature because they were adding people to the room who were not on the reservation. I really see nothing wrong with it IF DVC allows it, but if we are told "NO, only 4 to a 1 bedroom", then I think you will have problems if you try to break that rule.

TenThousandVolts
01-15-2007, 03:59 PM
Ditto for us. It really just depends on your family as to whether you will be comfortable. We just purchased and our guide also said 5 in a 1 bedroom is allowed. I, of course know the official occupancy is 4 and they may choose to enforce that. My youngest is only 3 years old- I think in another few years we will graduate to a 2 bedroom but for now- a 1 bedroom is fine. In years past we have slept 5 to a value resort room & 5 to a tent while camping- so 5 in a 1 br is better than ok for us.

disney-super-mom
02-07-2007, 12:17 PM
So a family of five always has to book a 2 bedroom or Grand Villa?

What about at the new AKV - will a family of 5 be able to book a 1 bedroom there?

Thanks.:)

Granny
02-07-2007, 12:31 PM
So a family of five always has to book a 2 bedroom or Grand Villa?

What about at the new AKV - will a family of 5 be able to book a 1 bedroom there?

Thanks. :)

Since this thread deals with occupancy, it will probably be locked shortly. Don't take it personally...it's just one of those topics where you get the answer and the thread is locked.

The answer is for all DVC resorts except AKV the occupancy limit of a 1BR is 4. Disney has also allowed five if at least one of the party is under 3 years old so they can sleep in the pack n play crib. They will not provide extra towels or bedding for a fifth person.

I believe AKV will officially allow 5 in a 1BR. I'll defer to the AKV experts on that.

zulaya
02-07-2007, 12:32 PM
In existing resorts, technically, you'd need a 2BR because they only provide towels and bedding for 4 people in a 1BR (unless you have 1 under 3 yrs that can sleep in a Pack N Play).

Supposedly AKV will have 1BR that sleep 5. I'd read greenban's post for the latest and greatest, but I want to say that not all 1BR will have the convertible chair to sleep that 5th person. But there are supposed to be some 1BR that will have it so you will have sleeping arrangements for 5.

If you are a member, you'd be better off calling your guide for more info.

And honestly, the extra space in a 2BR...so worth it. We are a family of 4. It's nice for the kids to have their own bedroom and have the living room open. JMO.

mamaprincess
02-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Most of the 1 bedroom villas at AKV will officially sleep 5. I'm not sure if the DVCs in AKL will be large enough for 5 but I know all of them in the new DVC building will sleep 5 officially.

disney-super-mom
02-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the answers!:thumbsup2

I just wanted to make sure that I understood this correctly. We're planning a trip with my brother's family (they are a family of five). Anyway, I didn't know if it would be better to book a grand villa for all of us (might be a little "too" much togetherness if you know what I mean), or if I should book seperate rooms.

JWG
02-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the answers!:thumbsup2

I just wanted to make sure that I understood this correctly. We're planning a trip with my brother's family (they are a family of five). Anyway, I didn't know if it would be better to book a grand villa for all of us (might be a little "too" much togetherness if you know what I mean), or if I should book seperate rooms.

My parents booked a 2BR and 3 additional studios for a week (7 nights) for fewer points than the Grand Villas (BWV). It depends on what you're looking for. While the GV's are very nice (haven't stayed at one but have lived through those that have), they're a point drain. Another option for a family of 5 is two studios, which w/o points in front of me I can't verify but it may also be fewer points than a 2 BR.

DisneyMama27
02-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Apparently, SOME DVC resorts will allow 5 in a 1BR. We are staying at BWV with 5 in July. DH asked and MS said it's fine. Maybe because 3 are kids? I don't know - we didn't argue! I would ask which ones will do that - may depend on the floor plan and sq.ft. Good Luck!

Deb & Bill
02-07-2007, 02:14 PM
My parents booked a 2BR and 3 additional studios for a week (7 nights) for fewer points than the Grand Villas (BWV). It depends on what you're looking for. While the GV's are very nice (haven't stayed at one but have lived through those that have), they're a point drain. Another option for a family of 5 is two studios, which w/o points in front of me I can't verify but it may also be fewer points than a 2 BR.

But since two studios will not connect and may not be close to each other, if you want to be together, you'll need the two bedroom.

Apparently, SOME DVC resorts will allow 5 in a 1BR. We are staying at BWV with 5 in July. DH asked and MS said it's fine. Maybe because 3 are kids? I don't know - we didn't argue! I would ask which ones will do that - may depend on the floor plan and sq.ft. Good Luck!

MS has allowed five in a one bedroom, but they will not provide additional bedding or linens. You'll still only get four bathtowels, two hand towels and four face cloths. No rollaways will be provided for the fifth person.

bpmorley
02-07-2007, 02:29 PM
They've even allowed 5 in a studio. I never see what the big deal is about having an extra person in a room. In Dec we're only going to have 5 in a 2bdr, so that should help even out 3-5 in a 1bdr groups

hsmamato2
02-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Oh no,I hope the thread stays open... I'm curious to see if the predicted changes to policy will happen,and what impact the AKV will have on other places, I haven't even become a member(yet) but I'm obsessed with DVC right now.....

eeyoresmom
02-18-2007, 05:48 PM
We have 4 kids but will only be bringing DD 11 and DS 9 on our next trip (oldest DD is in college and middle DD is visiting Grandma) At first I was so excited to plan a trip for an "average sized' family, now not so much :rolleyes1 I keep going back on the 1 bedroom vs. studio option. DH and I always stay in a studio when we go alone for a weekend. All other trips have been with all 4 kids so we've always gotten a 2 bedroom or 2 regular hotel rooms. We will most likely get the DDP, so the kitchen is not a huge factor. The frugal side of me keeps saying " you finally fit in a studio, save the points and book the studio!" BUT....10 days with no quiet time or seperation time from the kiddos? I'm really not considering ammenities ( washer/dryer, full kitchen,etc.) anymore, just wondering how other families manage over longer vacations. For those of you who stay in studios, any tips? TIA

CarolMN
02-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Up to you, but 10 days with 4 people (even 4 who like each other a lot) in one room is too much for me. Even the kiuds might need a little alone time and there is no way to do it in a studio! Those "saved" points may not seem so great if you have to be around crabby people, LOL.

Boston5602
02-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Could you save some of the points and split the stay part studio part 1 bedroom ?

tiggercrew
02-18-2007, 06:41 PM
If you were planning a short trip I think a studio would be ok, but 10 days is a long time to be in such tight quarters.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy your trip!:)

Deb & Bill
02-18-2007, 06:43 PM
The only time we get a studio is if we don't have enough points for the one bedroom. Get the one bedroom for the confort.

justKim
02-18-2007, 07:45 PM
I agree with the 1 bedroom plan. We had to split our last stay and ended the trip in a studio. Our DS 7 has asked that we never get a studio again!

Lesia
02-18-2007, 07:48 PM
well, we stayed at FW in our camper for 2 weeks over Christmas. It is less than 200 sq feet, and we are still living!!

dtheboys
02-18-2007, 07:56 PM
We have never had a problem w/ a studio....we are not in the room very much.
We're a family of four...
We have always stayed in a studio, and we did just fine.....

Wishing for GCV!
02-18-2007, 08:01 PM
I'm going to agree with the majority here and say go with the 1br. A studio for a family of four is really going to be pushing it, and even if it had two queen beds I might say do it. You will be happy you spent those extra points on those nights when the kids want to go to bed and you want to stay up and read a good book or do someting like that. :)

Granny
02-18-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm not a good person to ask. We get a 2BR for the four of us! We stared with a 1BR but even the 1BR seemed tight since we couldn't use the living room/kitchen area without disturbing the kids.

With the ages of your children, I'd have to vote for the 1BR. But really, how I like to travel is irrelevant. The question is...what is important to YOU? :)

BroganMc
02-19-2007, 01:13 AM
Here's an experiment for ya. Lock the four of you in one room in your house with only a bed and bathroom and 1 TV for a weekend. If you haven't wanted to kill each other over (1) what channel to watch/TV volume, (2) who's snoring, or (3) you stepped on my hand/stop touching me/Mom! He/she's bothering me... then go for it. :cool1:

eeyoresmom
02-19-2007, 06:04 AM
LOL....:lmao: Thanks everyone. I would split the stay but unfortunately we are staying from Sat to the Tue. With the weekend at the end of the trip, I would definately have to book a studio for the lesser points. That would mean going from a 1 bedroom to a studio, and I don't think that would be a good idea.

jarestel
02-19-2007, 06:11 AM
It's an interesting question because I don't think there's a definitive answer other than "it depends". Does anyone (young or old) require naps? A 1-BR is great for sleepy time while others relax in the living area.

How much time will actually be spent in the room? If the days are pretty much consumed by park & pool time, there's only a few hours at night to hold a tentative peace together.

If the concern is that the children will get on one another's nerves, a 1-BR only solves that problem if one child and one adult sleep in the master BR and the other child and adult sleep on the pullout. Otherwise, the kids are going to be together practically all of the time anyway.

On the other hand, if Mom & Dad are the ones who need a "time out" away from the wee ones, you can't beat the 1-BR as a nice refuge away from the shortcomings of loved ones.

Is there likely to be daily/nightly arguments over what to watch on the TV? If so, a 1-BR has an extra television and could be just what the doctor ordered for eliminating one potential source of disagreements.

But as I said, it really depends. You know your crew best and if separation is the key to retaining sanity on a family vacation, definitely get the 1-BR. On the other hand, if everyone is fairly easy going and you want to save the points, a studio will work.

From a personal standpoint I can attest that simply having a 1-BR doesn't guarantee everyone will sport zip-a-dee-doo-dah smiles 24/7 any more than a studio will signal the end of civilization for a vacationing family. A 1-BR is certainly more comfortable, but a studio is less expensive. Both considerations are perfectly valid.

Good luck & have a great trip!

elijahpep
02-19-2007, 06:32 AM
We have 2 kids the in the same age group of the OP. We always do a 1BR Sun-Thur and
pay cash for the weekend nights to save points. Remember there is a discount for paying cash, if that is an option.
As far as the kids, we bring an mattress bed for our DD10 and things work our lovely. She sets it up in the front room. It was one of the best purchases we have made for her as far as vacations go.

I hope your family enjoys a lot of Pixie Dust on your trip to the Happiest Place on Earth! Sounds like you'll have a great trip!

~DW

Lady V
02-19-2007, 06:36 AM
Call me crazy but we have always stayed in a studio for me, my mom, and my two kids. This past Jan we stayed in a 2 bedroom because there were 7 of us. Well, I missed being in the same room!! Me and my fiance are going to SS in March so we have a studio, and this summer me, my mom, and my two kids are going in a studio because I like to have everyone around!! I know-crazy, right??

tomandrobin
02-19-2007, 06:57 AM
Before DVC and timeshares for us, we were in a hotel room. We never had a problem with that, it was tight, but that is how it was. Then along came timeshares and DVC. We could not imagine spending a week or more all in one room. In fact, we like having the extra space that if we have to stay in a hotel we get two rooms so we can spread out.

dianeschlicht
02-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Unless you are staying at OKW which has 2 queen sized beds, I'd go for the 1 bedroom so at least the kids will have a queen pull out sofa instead of a full size one. You could try to save points by downgrading to a studio for the weekend, but for 10 days, I'd likely prefer the 1 bedroom. I just like to have privacy I guess. We are one of those who will book a 2 bedroom for 3-4 people, so probably have a different slant on this issue.

Trio
02-19-2007, 08:17 AM
The whole concept of DVC is to stay in nicer places that feel more like a home.

Get the one bedroom unit.

mikesmom
02-19-2007, 09:14 AM
- The 1 bedroom will let you get some breakfast into your crew in the mornings . Even with the dining plan that could be important.
- The kitchen will let you keep ice cream bars, water, fruit, etc.
- The washer/dryer will let you bring a whole lot less clothes. That could be considerable for a 10 day stay.

Besides, in our family if I had to tell DH that we would all be together in a studio with no privacy for 10 days, I know who would be getting crabby:lmao:

castleri
02-19-2007, 10:20 AM
LOL....:lmao: Thanks everyone. I would split the stay but unfortunately we are staying from Sat to the Tue. With the weekend at the end of the trip, I would definately have to book a studio for the lesser points. That would mean going from a 1 bedroom to a studio, and I don't think that would be a good idea.

I would try for a 1BR at OKW for the first 5 nights and then switch to a studio for the last 4 at a different resort. I know some people think switching is too much trouble but it might make the switch to the smaller unit easier especially if you moved to BCV with SAB or AKV if it will be open when you go as a draw.

We did 4 in a 2BR 12/24/06, 2 in an offsite hotel 12/29-12/31 and 3 in a studio 12/31-1/4/07. The savings in points by staying offsite enabled us to add 2 days to the trip that we had not originally planned on- they were the weekend days and thus saved a bunch of points. We also did the things we wanted to do that were not park days. I did find 3 in a studio to be the maximum I would consider and even that would have to be from the need to save points for another trip, add extra days or something.

Good luck with your decision and hope you have a wonderful trip.

eeyoresmom
02-19-2007, 02:03 PM
Castlri...OP here ,Did you mind that much moving? I have always liked to switch resorts after a few days, even if I'm staying at a place I really like. We do spend a lot of time at the resort(but the only time we are in the rooms are mornings) Right now I have a BCV studio booked for 2 nights, then 7 nights at OKW in a 1 bedroom.( paying cash for the weekend) But like I said in the original post, my frugal side keeps tapping me on the shoulder "700.00 dollars for 2 nights at OKW would pay for DH abd DS's AP's" I don't know why, the money has been saved for exactly that ( must be the yankee in me ) Anyway, I am still considering a studio or room at POR for the weekend and that would be 4 resorts in 10 days.

starbox
02-19-2007, 03:20 PM
We always stay in a studio. I'm sure if I tried a 1 bedroom, I would not want to go back - but for now, I figure that what I don't know doesn't hurt me. :lmao: We did stay in a 2bd once and thought it ended up being lots of wasted space.

Our kids are 8 and 10. Honestly, I would not want and dont feel that I need "space" from them. A big part of our vacations right now is simply being together. We typically spend almost all our waking time outside of the room - we like to hit the parks at opening and stroll around DTD at night. The kids also get along really, really well - they are best friends - so that helps.

As far as the "clutter" - I simply unpack as soon as we arrive and then put all used and dirty clothes back in the suitcases in the closet. We do fold up the couch and quickly make the bed before we leave. Personally, I'd rather have more nights than a larger unit.

I think the size of the unit depends alot on your personality and how you like to spend your downtime. Even at home, we typically don't just hang around the house on weekends and nobody really goes off and shuts their door for the afternoon. We're usually out and about and together. I realize this may change as the kids become teenagers, but I'm hoping to enjoy them wanting to spend time with each other and with us for as long as possible. If it were just my husband and I on vacation, I'd get a 1 bedroom for the romance and relaxation of just hanging out - but with two elementary age kids - romance and relaxation are not the focus of current vacation plans.

Lesley
02-19-2007, 05:48 PM
We split a studio/1br stay when we were a family of 4- first in a studio then the 1br. That did work out very well. I suggest playing around with your options until you find a way you can do the studio first, even if it means moving to a 1br for just the last 2-3 nights.

We found the washer and dryer to be the deciding factor. I got tired of dragging myself down to the guest laundry in my pajamas at midnight halfway through our trip to move our laundry from the washer to the dryer.....only to do it again half an hour later and find my clothes still wet. Nevermind if you're staying on the second floor at the BWV you feel like a real idiot walking past the lobby in your pajamas.

castleri
02-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Castlri...OP here ,Did you mind that much moving? I have always liked to switch resorts after a few days, even if I'm staying at a place I really like. We do spend a lot of time at the resort(but the only time we are in the rooms are mornings) Right now I have a BCV studio booked for 2 nights, then 7 nights at OKW in a 1 bedroom.( paying cash for the weekend) But like I said in the original post, my frugal side keeps tapping me on the shoulder "700.00 dollars for 2 nights at OKW would pay for DH abd DS's AP's" I don't know why, the money has been saved for exactly that ( must be the yankee in me ) Anyway, I am still considering a studio or room at POR for the weekend and that would be 4 resorts in 10 days.

I did not mind moving at all. When we moved to the offsite hotel ($123 total for 2 nights) we packed what we needed in a smaller bag and that and what food we had to refrigerate is all we took into the room. We did not check into that room until after 4 on the Friday after spending the day at the pool at OKW following check out. On Saturday we went to TL and then did some shopping at DTD and Walmart on the way back to the other hotel. We were back at Disney Sunday morning early, checked in, left the luggage and returned the rental car before heading to the MK on NYE. That was my frugal side as the two nights I had booked at Disney (one in a value and one in a moderate) would have been $352. If I could have had the value for 2 nights I would have stayed onsite but the combination of low price and wanting to do a couple of things that were not Disney made the other hotel seem a better deal. Without a car it would have been more of a problem and I would have kept the rooms at Disney even though we would have then had 4 rooms for the trip. I had been very fortunate in the rate I got for the car for the 7 days and we needed it for the first few days for offsite shopping and the golfing my DD and her SO did. With a car I have found we just leave luggage in it until we can get into the room and often plan a non park day or water park for the day we transfer. On one trip when we moved to BCV we just spent the day at SAB until our room was ready. It is not an issue for me to change rooms but my DH does not feel the same way so I try not to do so when he is along. Only you can tell what your family will tolerate. By moving to the offsite hotel and using a studio instead of a 1 or 2 BR for NYE through 1/4 I was able to add two days to the trip and have 33 points to use before Aug1 as well as extra money that we used for a couple of meals we would not have done otherwise. Now I just have to be able to match airfare and dates that I can get a studio for DH and I in the next month or so to use those points.

DVC Jen
02-19-2007, 08:26 PM
Only YOU know your family dynamics. It works for us - we are a family of 4 with two TEEN DDs and 99% of the time we are in one hotel room or when using DVC a studio.

This year we are doing 11 nights in a studio with our two teen DDs. We are getting an aerobed for the first time - primarily because my girls have outgrown having both of them in the pull-out and it will make everyone happier.

Some families can handle it - so me can't. We can and it allows us to stay longer - so we do it.

Jeanine3kids
02-23-2007, 09:21 PM
I am a new member I have 150 at SSR. I have three children 5, 2, & 1 I know that you are allowed to have 4 people plus one child under 3. But what happens when the kids get older? Will I have to get a 2 bedroom? My guide said you are allowed 5 in a studio or 1 bedroom it's just that the resort will not give you a cot. Is this true or do I have to sneak one kid in and not give his name when making reservations and what about buying park tickets will I be able to buy them through member services then they will know I have 5 guests in the room instead of 3?

Thanks
Jeanine
1/05 POR/FC
10/06 CR

Chuck S
02-24-2007, 07:13 AM
MS won't book 5 in a studio, unless one is under 3 yo. MS has been booking 5 of any age into one bedroom units. DVC will not provide extra towels or bed linens. There are no cots or rollaways at DVC resorts, so you will need to provide a sleeping bag or air mattress for child #3.

Additional towel packs (4 bath, Hand and washcloths) are $6, or additional Trash and Towel service days are $10.

Supposedly, the AKV one bedroom units WILL accommodate 5, officially, with a fold out single bed.

bpmorley
02-24-2007, 07:50 AM
MS won't book 5 in a studio, unless one is under 3 yo.

Is this a new policy because they allowed us 5 in a studio last year and there were 4 adults and a 6 yo.

Chuck S
02-24-2007, 07:59 AM
Not new, it is what they were supposed to be doing, otherwise occupancy in a two bedroom lock-off could conceivably be 10.

bpmorley
02-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Not new, it is what they were supposed to be doing, otherwise occupancy in a two bedroom lock-off could conceivably be 10.

I wrote that wrong. I didn't mean new policy, I meant is it new that they are enforcing it. I didn't want to break the rules, but there was a mistake in booking and we wound up in a studio not a 1bdr

Chuck S
02-24-2007, 08:31 AM
. I didn't want to break the rules, but there was a mistake in booking and we wound up in a studio not a 1bdr

That mistake in booking may be why they allowed it.

dianeschlicht
02-24-2007, 01:08 PM
That mistake in booking may be why they allowed it.

I agree, and I KNOW they will not allow you to specifically book 5 in a studio. A year ago, when we were booking for NYE, we originally booked a studio for 4 of us for NYE switching to a 2 bedroom NY Day. Well, things change, and a 5th person got added. When I called about 6 months out to see if we could add the 5th person, they would NOT allow it in the studio, so we had to cancel the studio and book a 1 bedroom for that one night. No big deal, because we moved to the 2 bedroom in the morning, but I KNOW they woud not book it that way.

Finny
02-24-2007, 01:30 PM
One of the reasons we are buying DVC is so that the five of us won't have to be scrunched in one room together again! :laughing:

It seems like it would be a very tight fit.

bpmorley
02-24-2007, 02:24 PM
One of the reasons we are buying DVC is so that the five of us won't have to be scrunched in one room together again! :laughing:

It seems like it would be a very tight fit.

Suprisingly it wasn't that bad.

UConnJack
02-24-2007, 03:01 PM
I have always watched this thread, but never contributed since its obvious people’s opinion on this subject are largely concrete. However, I figured I’d finally weigh in, for what its worth, although I know its not a new opinion or one that’s going to change minds.

I understand the point that occupancy is set in the contract, but if MS allows it (i.e., 5 in a 1br, 9 in a 2br), I don't see what the big deal is. I do also understand the argument about wear & tear and pool crowding. But personally, I do not think the allowance of 1 extra person in some of the rooms contributes enough additional wear & tear and crowding to make a big stink about. Comparison to other timeshares is irrelevant since this is not some other timeshare. Because this is Disney, I suspect the percentage of family ownership with kids is higher than other timeshares, and there is a big difference between 5 adults and 2 adults/3 kids in a 1-br.

Many of you may think that 5 would feel too crowded in a 1-br, but considering a regular hotel room or DVC studio accommodates 4, to expect a 1-br (at twice the square footage) to accommodate 5 is not unreasonable or too crowded. If you feel that it is too crowded for you, get the 2-br, but for many of us, an 800-sqft room is plenty spacious for 5. And if we don't have a problem sleeping on a sleeper sofa or an air mattress, why should you care?

My problem with the new AKV setup is that they should make 5 in a 1-br and 9 in a 2-br official across all the DVC resorts, not just some units at only AKV. I too like the idea of switching out the King bed in some 1-brs at all the resorts for a different bed arrangement. Not 2 double beds, but 2 queens if they fit, a queen and a double, or better yet, a queen and a set of bunks like they have in some WL rooms. Make them a guaranteed request like BW view or the BCV 2-br dedicated room.

Chuck S
02-24-2007, 03:07 PM
I have always watched this thread, but never contributed since its obvious people’s opinion on this subject are largely concrete. However, I figured I’d finally weigh in, for what its worth, although I know its not a new opinion or one that’s going to change minds.

I understand the point that occupancy is set in the contract, but if MS allows it (i.e., 5 in a 1br, 9 in a 2br), I don't see what the big deal is. I do also understand the argument about wear & tear and pool crowding. But personally, I do not think the allowance of 1 extra person in some of the rooms contributes enough additional wear & tear and crowding to make a big stink about. Comparison to other timeshares is irrelevant since this is not some other timeshare. Because this is Disney, I suspect the percentage of family ownership with kids is higher than other timeshares, and there is a big difference between 5 adults and 2 adults/3 kids in a 1-br.

Many of you may think that 5 would feel too crowded in a 1-br, but considering a regular hotel room or DVC studio accommodates 4, to expect a 1-br (at twice the square footage) to accommodate 5 is not unreasonable or too crowded. If you feel that it is too crowded for you, get the 2-br, but for many of us, an 800-sqft room is plenty spacious for 5. And if we don't have a problem sleeping on a sleeper sofa or an air mattress, why should you care?

My problem with the new AKV setup is that they should make 5 in a 1-br and 9 in a 2-br official across all the DVC resorts, not just some units at only AKV. I too like the idea of switching out the King bed in some 1-brs at all the resorts for a different bed arrangement. Not 2 double beds, but 2 queens if they fit, a queen and a double, or better yet, a queen and a set of bunks like they have in some WL rooms. Make them a guaranteed request like BW view or the BCV 2-br dedicated room.

I'm not sure they could make that kind of a change to the bed set up in existing resorts without a membership vote, as it essentially, and substatially, would change the product we purchased. It may not be legal under FL timeshare law.

bpmorley
02-24-2007, 03:10 PM
I understand the point that occupancy is set in the contract, but if MS allows it (i.e., 5 in a 1br, 9 in a 2br), I don't see what the big deal is. I do also understand the argument about wear & tear and pool crowding. But personally, I do not think the allowance of 1 extra person in some of the rooms contributes enough additional wear & tear and crowding to make a big stink about.

And don't forget about groups having less than the maximum allowed. We're doing 5 in a 2bdr in Dec. That leaves room for 3 groups to have an extra person in whatever size villa they are staying. And there would be no impact on wear & tear or pool capacity

UConnJack
02-24-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm not sure they could make that kind of a change to the bed set up in existing resorts without a membership vote, as it essentially, and substatially, would change the product we purchased. It may not be legal under FL timeshare law.

True. It's unfortunate they didn't set this up initially (i.e., more options than just a King in a 1-br). I think it would have appealed to a very large portion of the DVC membership, especially those with kids

Granny
02-24-2007, 03:52 PM
True. It's unfortunate they didn't set this up initially (i.e., more options than just a King in a 1-br). I think it would have appealed to a very large portion of the DVC membership, especially those with kids

There have been a few polls on this site about this and my recollection is that the vast majority of DVC owners like the king bed. Keep in mind, every time they offer more options it increases the chances that someone won't get what they want.

As for the actual topic of this thread, I'll leave that up to you all. :)

UConnJack
02-24-2007, 04:32 PM
There have been a few polls on this site about this and my recollection is that the vast majority of DVC owners like the king bed.

Yes, but as I've been repeatedly told, polls here can't be proven as representative.

Keep in mind, every time they offer more options it increases the chances that someone won't get what they want.

Yeah, you're right. Although getting a queen bed vs. a king isn't the end of the world or even really an inconvienience. Not like a non-smoker getting a smoking room or something.

freshmanjs
02-24-2007, 05:55 PM
But since two studios will not connect and may not be close to each other, if you want to be together, you'll need the two bedroom.

MS has allowed five in a one bedroom, but they will not provide additional bedding or linens. You'll still only get four bathtowels, two hand towels and four face cloths. No rollaways will be provided for the fifth person.

What happens if you call housekeeping and ask for some towels? Will they refuse to bring them? Can you pay for extra towels?

Deb & Bill
02-24-2007, 05:58 PM
...Yeah, you're right. Although getting a queen bed vs. a king isn't the end of the world or even really an inconvienience. Not like a non-smoker getting a smoking room or something.

Read my signature line. It would be a big problem for me to get a queen bed for me and my husband to share. That's why I like the one bedroom the way it is.

Dean
02-24-2007, 06:00 PM
What happens if you call housekeeping and ask for some towels? Will they refuse to bring them? Can you pay for extra towels?There is a $6 charge or a 4 towel pack.

LisaS
02-24-2007, 07:00 PM
Although getting a queen bed vs. a king isn't the end of the world or even really an inconvienience. Not like a non-smoker getting a smoking room or something.When DH and I opt to pay the extra points for a 1BR, it's primarily for the king bed and jacuzzi. I would be very unhappy if a paid the extra points for a 1BR and ended up with a queen-size bed.

UConnJack
02-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Personally, while kings beds are comfortable, there is something I don't like about being so far away from my wife. Queen size beds are perfect IMHO, allows plenty of personal space, yet close to your partner. In this regard, I don't see much difference between a king bed and just sleeping in two single beds.

But I don't much see the problem of having some 1-br's with a different bed arrangement to make sleeping arrangements easier for some families. I'm not saying most or even half, but some. Make the different setups guaranteed to minimize people getting setups they don't prefer. I think there are enough people who would want this to support some rooms with this arrangement. I don't think most would be too upset if their preference wasn't available. Even just from a security standpoint, I find it uncomfortable having my 4-6 year old children sleeping alone in the living room where the door is located. I also don't like having to put them to bed in the master bedroom, only to have to move them out later in the night.

Now I know it is likely never to happen at existing resorts, if for no other reason than what Chuck gave, that the units were not sold with those arrangements and would likely take a vote by the membership. That said, I would like to see some variety in future resorts to this end.

UConnJack
02-24-2007, 08:22 PM
When DH and I opt to pay the extra points for a 1BR, it's primarily for the king bed and jacuzzi. I would be very unhappy if a paid the extra points for a 1BR and ended up with a queen-size bed.

Whereas I pay the points to get a living space and kitchen. I would actually rather save the living space from being use as bedding, having us and the kids in the bedroom. I know you will say to get a 2-bedroom, but that is a complete waste of space and points for 4 people IMHO. I just think a little bedding variety would be nice.

tjkraz
02-24-2007, 09:36 PM
And don't forget about groups having less than the maximum allowed. We're doing 5 in a 2bdr in Dec. That leaves room for 3 groups to have an extra person in whatever size villa they are staying. And there would be no impact on wear & tear or pool capacity

Disney certainly doesn't plan (or budget) as if each room is filled to capacity year round. They have their own statistics and know the average occupancies for different size units. Let's say a One Bedroom villa averages 3 occupants per night. As soon as you raise the posted occupancy from 4 occupants to 5, some parties will take advantage of it and increase their party size. Over time, you may see that average of 3 occupants per night increase to 3.3 or 3.5 per night.

That may not seem like much but it's impossible to ignore that the net result is more wear and tear on the rooms and more people at the pool.

In some cases, the net impact may be greater than just an extra guest here and there. Let's say a party of 9 wishes to stay at a DVC resort. If the max occupancy is 8 in a two bedroom, you probably have those 9 guests spread over a two bedroom AND a studio. However, if DVC allows all 9 guests into the two bedroom, the studio is free for up to 4 more guests. In this situation, allowing a ninth person into a two bedroom raises the total resort occupancy by as many as 4 people--the 4 who are able to book the Studio left vacant by cramming 9 into a 2B.

You've also have people using the room in a manner for which it truly isn't equipped. There just isn't enough bedding in a One Bedroom for most parties of 5. When people bring their own air beds or cots, it increases the likelihood of damage to the room or furnishings while people are moving furniture around on a daily basis. Or you've got people attempting to sleep on love seats or living room chairs that really weren't designed for such a function. Again, there's an increased likelihood of damage to the furniture.

That said, I tend to fall into the camp of "if DVC says it's OK, I'm OK." I'm not going to turn my nose up at anyone who is within DVC's published or verbal guidelines. And if they reduce the limits to 4 and 8 again, so be it.

But I think it's undeniable that an increase in the level of permitted guests raises the average room occupancy and average resort occupancy. And I'm sure there is some cost passed-on to members as a result of these changes. Spread over millions of DVC points, it's probably not a significant amount, but it does exist.

dianeschlicht
02-24-2007, 10:06 PM
What happens if you call housekeeping and ask for some towels? Will they refuse to bring them? Can you pay for extra towels?

Sure, you can pay $6 for an extra towel pack.

dianeschlicht
02-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Whereas I pay the points to get a living space and kitchen. I would actually rather save the living space from being use as bedding, having us and the kids in the bedroom. I know you will say to get a 2-bedroom, but that is a complete waste of space and points for 4 people IMHO. I just think a little bedding variety would be nice.

Nope, I didn't buy a timeshare like DVC to have anyone else in the bedroom with me. We usually get a 2 bedroom even when we have 3 people for that very reason, and I do NOT want to settle for a queen sized bed. If I wanted someone else in the bedroom with me and a queen bed in the first place, I always have the option of a studio at OKW instead.

UConnJack
02-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Nope, I didn't buy a timeshare like DVC to have anyone else in the bedroom with me. We usually get a 2 bedroom even when we have 3 people for that very reason, and I do NOT want to settle for a queen sized bed. If I wanted someone else in the bedroom with me and a queen bed in the first place, I always have the option of a studio at OKW instead.

That's fine :thumbsup2, I never said what should or shouldn't be somebody's preference. I'm just saying that some people's preference would be to have a different bedding arrangements and that I wish they would have made different ones available. I'm not really complaining, I know what I bought and can live with it easily, but nothing wrong with me wishing something had been different, or lobbying for changes in the future.

Dean
02-25-2007, 06:45 AM
A 1 BR that slept 4 in the BR would only trade with II as 2 compared to the sleep 4 that the current 1 BR units trade for. Reason is they count how many couples you sleep privately.

UConnJack
02-25-2007, 10:45 AM
A 1 BR that slept 4 in the BR would only trade with II as 2 compared to the sleep 4 that the current 1 BR units trade for. Reason is they count how many couples you sleep privately.

Couldn't they keep the sofa bed and retain the sleep-4 trade value? Of course, then we would be having arguements about whether the 1-br should sleep 6 or not.........

Deb & Bill
02-25-2007, 11:02 AM
Couldn't they keep the sofa bed and retain the sleep-4 trade value? Of course, then we would be having arguements about whether the 1-br should sleep 6 or not.........

You mean a studio with a living room????? Yuck.

LisaS
02-25-2007, 11:28 AM
That's fine :thumbsup2, I never said what should or shouldn't be somebody's preference. I'm just saying that some people's preference would be to have a different bedding arrangements and that I wish they would have made different ones available. I'm not really complaining, I know what I bought and can live with it easily, but nothing wrong with me wishing something had been different, or lobbying for changes in the future.I do understand about wishing for different bedding arrangements. I wish it were possible to get a studio with a king bed!

I was just responding to your comment that it wouldn't be an inconvenience for someone who was expecting a king bed to end up with a queen. In addition to it being a larger bed, they also usually put bed-side tables on both sides of a king bed. They only put one table in between two queen beds. I find it inconvenient not to have a table next to the bed for my glasses, watch, etc.

Dean
02-25-2007, 11:45 AM
Couldn't they keep the sofa bed and retain the sleep-4 trade value? Of course, then we would be having arguements about whether the 1-br should sleep 6 or not.........Not if it was in the same room, it is counted as 2 people per private sleeping area, normally with private access to a bathroom. For example, a 1 BR with two queens in the BR and no pull out would trade for 2 and potentially prevent DVC members at that resort from trading for sleep 4 one BR options. A 1 BR sleep 6 would only trade for 4 as well.

As noted, we've batted around many of these various issues. I personally don't believe that DVC would do anything that wouldn't fit in with usual exchange standards. The rumored variations at AKV will almost certainly still exchange the same as all other resorts and the POS currently lists the same occupancy as the rest of the resorts 4/4/8/12.

On a related note, I do think a King with pull out in the studio portions is easily workable as would be a more functional kitchenette. A number of the Marriott's have that exact set up including cooking utensils, regular plates, etc.

Deb & Bill
02-25-2007, 04:15 PM
...On a related note, I do think a King with pull out in the studio portions is easily workable as would be a more functional kitchenette. A number of the Marriott's have that exact set up including cooking utensils, regular plates, etc.

Except it wouldn't fit in any existing DVC studios except maybe an OKW studio.

debaudrn
02-26-2007, 10:33 AM
We're staying 4 of us in a studio in two weeks. I prefer this because ... I will get at least a long weekend alone with just me and DH at some point in the future! That makes it worthwhile to me.
Deb

spiceycat
02-26-2007, 10:59 AM
love studios. but when I travel with 3 people or more it is at least a 1-bedroom if not a 2-bedroom.

but need space badly. as Jen says 'Only YOU know your family dynamics'

if you family would be happy in a WDW resort room - then a studio will be fine.

If you think war would break out - then go for the 1-bedroom.

Anal Annie
02-26-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm always on the frugal side... I don't think you said when you were going...if it's in the Magic season (summer) then thats 120 pts. diff. between the two room types (on the SSR chart). You also didn't say how many points you own so it depends if you're hoping to save some points for another trip or something. We only own 250 pts., so saving 120 would be a biggie for us...but if you own scads & scads of points (which to me is anything over 250) then go for the larger unit!!

YoMickey
02-26-2007, 08:09 PM
We've done a studio with a 6,4, and 1 year old. Mom and dad in the big bed, the 2 older ones in the pull out and the little one in his pack and play. It was tight but we get up early grab a granola bar and some fruit on the way to extra magic hours. We then come back after lunch, change into swimsuits and hit SAB until dinner time. We then walk around the boardwalk or go in to Epcot, and return in time to grab something at Beaches and Cream. We spend about 7 out of 24 hours in the studio per day. I didn't figure the points per hour in the room but it can't be good.

If you're one of those people that goes to Disney to hang out in the room then get a 1 bedroom. If you go to Disney to cook in a ktichen then get a one bedroom, if you go to Dinsey to do laundry then get a one bedroom.

Now, with that said, guess what we're staying in next month?? A 1 bedroom! I can't beleive it. If it's as good as everyone says, I'll let you know. We've never stayed in one before.:laundy: popcorn:: :happytv: Laundry, TV, and eating in the room. This will be weird for me.

spiceycat
02-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Now, with that said, guess what we're staying in next month?? A 1 bedroom! I can't beleive it. If it's as good as everyone says, I'll let you know. We've never stayed in one before.:laundy: popcorn:: :happytv: Laundry, TV, and eating in the room. This will be weird for me.

I think you will appreciate being able to separate the kids more than anything.

but maybe your kids don't fight each other.

jns
02-27-2007, 11:50 AM
I think you will appreciate being able to separate the kids more than anything.

but maybe your kids don't fight each other.

Please let me into the secert
mine flight like cats and dogs :lmao:

I like the idea of getting an air bed

we are staying in a studio @family of 4

we have spent most of our disney holiday as a family of 5 in one room in PO and still live to tell the tail
so a studio is going to give us more room

MP2002
02-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Hi,
My hubby & I usually rent a 1 BR for the 2 of us because we like the big bedroom & tub but we may actually be able to get some of my family together for a "almost all together" vist for the first time ever. We have never rented a grand villa or even seen one in person but here's my question. We will have for sure 2-4 yr. old's, 1-1 yr. old, 10 adults (3 of which are teens). On the off chance that another of my sister's "might" be able to come as the trip got closer (very unlikely, but if she could at the last minute) would we have to get a studio in addition to the GV? Just checking because I am trying to decide how hard I should try to push her to get the time off if we have to get an additional room.:lmao: (Oh, this would be a OKW GV)

Thanks for the guidance. I know I can call MS but it's late & she just mentioned this on the phone. I think the "might" be able to go is just to appease me though anyway.

Chuck S
02-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Hi,
My hubby & I usually rent a 1 BR for the 2 of us because we like the big bedroom & tub but we may actually be able to get some of my family together for a "almost all together" vist for the first time ever. We have never rented a grand villa or even seen one in person but here's my question. We will have for sure 2-4 yr. old's, 1-1 yr. old, 10 adults (3 of which are teens). On the off chance that another of my sister's "might" be able to come as the trip got closer (very unlikely, but if she could at the last minute) would we have to get a studio in addition to the GV? Just checking because I am trying to decide how hard I should try to push her to get the time off if we have to get an additional room.:lmao: (Oh, this would be a OKW GV)

Thanks for the guidance. I know I can call MS but it's late & she just mentioned this on the phone. I think the "might" be able to go is just to appease me though anyway.

I think you should go with the GV & Studio. With that crowd you'll appreciate a little extra room. I've never stayed in a GV, but if I remember correctly from the preview, at least one of the upstairs bedrooms has double beds, not queen beds, and you are already at 2 people per bed, plus the pak n play, without your "extra" sister.

Deb & Bill
02-28-2007, 08:02 AM
Only one of the under three's would not count towards occupancy. Adding sister would give you 13 plus one in the GV which is one over the occupancy of the GV.

my3squeals
02-28-2007, 08:22 AM
Hi, I am new posting, but definitely not new to reading these boards. Great Info Thanks everyone.

We are seriously looking into renting points for an upcoming trip. We have 3 girls, 7 and under and the youngest is still "free". I have seen very limited info about a studio at BWV with daybeds plus pullout sofa. One site even say Disney says this unit would sleep 5 adult plus child under 3. We would only have the 2 adults and 3 kids, but this bedding arrangement may work alittle better for us than a pack and play for the youngest. This really would be ideal for us. Can someone give me a little more ino on these units or a link with pictures? Are these units hard to get? Any info much appreciated.

dwelty
02-28-2007, 08:29 AM
I have heard that the "Daybed" is really just a wide seat with a thin padding. I don't know if it would work even for your youngest. We have 3 kids as well 16,4, and 8 months. We got a small kids sleeping bag with attached inflatible matress, and use the pack & play for our youngest. since you only have the pull out opened at bedtime, and 2 of your girls can share it. you should all fit ok. Now once your youngest reaches 4 you will need to move to at least a 1 bedroom. Perhaps a BWV owner can comment further on the daybed.

DebbieB
02-28-2007, 09:06 AM
There's no way that unit can sleep 5 adults even those with the small daybed. From what I've heard, the small daybed would only fit a toddler. All rooms have a queen bed and a double sleeper sofa. Only some have the "daybed".

Chuck S
02-28-2007, 09:20 AM
The units you refer to, with the small daybed, are called a "studio +". They are the dedicated studios at BWV that don't connect to a one bedroom. They can be requested, but are not a separate booking category and can not be guaranteed.

CRSNDSNY
02-28-2007, 09:34 AM
I stayed in one of these units. It was a standard view studio, room 3085.
Here is a picture of my Mom sitting on one of these small daybeds:
http://family.webshots.com/photo/1107256926039542444VhLqwK

slp87
02-28-2007, 09:53 AM
I've always felt that daybed is a generous term. We've stayed in a studio plus and it was more like a padded bench. I'm not sure it was ever intended for someone to sleep on.

I didn't notice, is there any extra pillows, blankets, etc to use with it????

my3squeals
02-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks that helps tremendously. The picture was great too. Definitely not quite what I was expecting. "Firm bench" would definitely be a more accurate definition. It would just be taking up valuable space. I don't suppose those rooms are any larger?

CRSNDSNY
02-28-2007, 10:22 AM
They are not larger than any other BWV studio.

MP2002
02-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Gotcha, thanks for the info. folks. So one of the bedrooms only has double beds vs. queens? I thought they both had 2 queens. Good to know. I'll be sure to make sure the little boys are in the room w/the doubles then. They will want to be together I am sure. As of today it looks like we might be down another person anyway so it is a non issue even if other sister decides to go I think. (You know it will change a multitude of times between now and the time we go anyway but I just wanted to see what the maximum situation could be just in case) With our luck we'll get that big old villa & something will happen at the last minute with someone's health and we'll end up with 5-6people in the grand villa. Bad health has been what has kept us from doing this for the last 2 1/2 years. I hope we don't bring bad luck on ourselves for trying to plan it.

What is the cash discount mentioned if we decide to get an extra studio if we do go over or even if I just think we should get it for the extra space? That is something I wasn't aware of. I have been lurking for a long time but really just started posting. You folks are a wealth of info. Thanks so much.

Chuck S
02-28-2007, 01:20 PM
The cash discount is usually available, but not always. It is 25% off rack rate. Housekeeping schedule is the same as if you were staying on points.

DebbieB
02-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks that helps tremendously. The picture was great too. Definitely not quite what I was expecting. "Firm bench" would definitely be a more accurate definition. It would just be taking up valuable space. I don't suppose those rooms are any larger?

The difference is those rooms do not have the connecting door. It is positioned where the connecting door would be in the other rooms.

Nanajo1
03-01-2007, 11:13 AM
I just want to encourage you to get a Magical Gatherings number if you have 8 or more. I was just told an extra effort is made to keep your group together when assigning rooms. So if you go with the grand villa or opt for a different set up your rooms will be together.
On the size of the OKW GV BR with the double beds my DD found it cramped with a pack and play. My DS had a little more room in the queen room for his p'n'p.
We found the GV LR noisy due to the wood flooring and high ceilings. We didn't have anyone sleeping there it is very open. We loved the GV at OKW.
We had 6 adults and 3 kids, 1 2yr, 1 1yr and a 7month.

3DisneyKids
03-01-2007, 11:28 AM
We've done a studio with a 6,4, and 1 year old. Mom and dad in the big bed, the 2 older ones in the pull out and the little one in his pack and play. It was tight but we get up early grab a granola bar and some fruit on the way to extra magic hours. We then come back after lunch, change into swimsuits and hit SAB until dinner time. We then walk around the boardwalk or go in to Epcot, and return in time to grab something at Beaches and Cream. We spend about 7 out of 24 hours in the studio per day. I didn't figure the points per hour in the room but it can't be good.

If you're one of those people that goes to Disney to hang out in the room then get a 1 bedroom. If you go to Disney to cook in a ktichen then get a one bedroom, if you go to Dinsey to do laundry then get a one bedroom.

lol--you'll never go back to a studio. With 3 kids, the kitchen and the washer/dryer is....priceless.

kimberh
03-02-2007, 12:14 AM
I have stayed in one of these studios. I would take a sleeping bag, if I were driving.

Deb & Bill
03-02-2007, 08:29 AM
With five, you really cannot plan on getting one of these studios unless your youngest will sleep in the pack and play. You'll need a one bedroom at a minimum and then you'll still need bedding and linens (including towels for the fifth person). You will have four bath towels, two hand towels, and four face cloths.

kamgen
04-11-2007, 10:49 AM
I am not looking for flames here, and I dont need to know, but I am asking out of meer curiousity....
I know that you can have 4 adults and one child under 3 in a studio, but what about two kids under three??? I mean, what do you do if you have twin babies or something and dont want a 1bedroom?? Just curious...

As for us, we have used a studio for 3 adults and two kids under three and it works out fine.

Deb & Bill
04-11-2007, 11:36 AM
I am not looking for flames here, and I dont need to know, but I am asking out of meer curiousity....
I know that you can have 4 adults and one child under 3 in a studio, but what about two kids under three??? I mean, what do you do if you have twin babies or something and dont want a 1bedroom?? Just curious...

As for us, we have used a studio for 3 adults and two kids under three and it works out fine.

A studio is limited to four persons plus one under the age of three. If you have more than one under the age of three, the additional one(s) count towards the room occupancy. So don't have quintuplets or sextuplets and buy DVC.

Disneynut71
04-11-2007, 11:39 AM
MS told me that as long as the child can sleep in the pack n play your fine. They do not provide cots. You can squeeze 5 if you can fit them in the 2 beds.

BuzzLightyearDad
04-11-2007, 11:52 AM
OK. Sorry to be dense about this but I am new to DVC (just sent my final paperwork and check for closing). I am going to repeat what kamgen asked just to be clear --->
Say I wanted to put 2 pack and plays in a room (whether it was a studio or a 1BR) for 2 toddlers and then have 2 kids + 2 adults. Are you saying I could not ask for an additional pack and play? I have done this at the regular Disney resorts.

kamgen
04-11-2007, 11:56 AM
That is what I was wondering.
If you have 4 adults (2 in the bed and 2 on the sleeper sofa), can you put two pack n plays??
I just wondered in anyone ever did that!:goodvibes

Deb & Bill
04-11-2007, 12:08 PM
That is what I was wondering.
If you have 4 adults (2 in the bed and 2 on the sleeper sofa), can you put two pack n plays??
I just wondered in anyone ever did that!:goodvibes

Not in a one bedroom or studio. In a studio, you can only have four plus one. Not four plus two.

In a one bedroom you are only supposed to have four plus one, BUT MS will allow a fifth person in the one bedroom but not supply any additional bedding or linens. They will not allow five plus one. Just four plus one under the age of three OR five (period). And the five in the one bedroom could change once they open AKV where there will be one bedroom villas that actually sleep five. They could go back to only four plus one in the one bedrooms that were designed that way.

Disneynut71
04-11-2007, 12:12 PM
I do know that each room comes with 1 pack n play. I do not know for sure if they will allow you to request a second but I don't think so since I was told no additional bedding would be allowed. I would call MS to find out for sure.

Deb & Bill
04-11-2007, 12:17 PM
I'm sure that MS would get an additional pack and play if you needed it - as long as it wasn't for the SIXTH person.

kamgen
04-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Well I am glad I only have two kids! LOL!!!
Thanks for the info.

BuzzLightyearDad
04-11-2007, 12:21 PM
OK. I will ask MS once I am in the system. I find it very difficult to believe I can't get an extra pack and play --particularly in a 1 BR-- having done this before at the resorts.

The resorts state the same occupancy limits, but when it comes to needing an additional pack and play for a baby/toddler there isn't a problem. What if I had 2 adults and 2 babies -- that need to be in a pack and play? Would I need a 2 BR???

kimberh
04-11-2007, 01:10 PM
I know that if you are within the occupancy limits, you can request 2 pack n plays for the room. I have done this and it is not a problem. I do not know about, if you have 4 and 2 infants.

Dean
04-11-2007, 04:55 PM
OK. I will ask MS once I am in the system. I find it very difficult to believe I can't get an extra pack and play --particularly in a 1 BR-- having done this before at the resorts.

The resorts state the same occupancy limits, but when it comes to needing an additional pack and play for a baby/toddler there isn't a problem. What if I had 2 adults and 2 babies -- that need to be in a pack and play? Would I need a 2 BR???Asking MS likely won't help as the answer will vary with each person you talk to and getting an OK from MS won't guarantee you success later. The technical answer is that you likely should not be able to get a second. The practical answer is that you likely will most of the time when you ask but might be denied on some attempts.

dianeschlicht
04-12-2007, 08:56 AM
I suspect you wont have a problem getting a second pac N play as long as the occupancy is still within the limits. I doubt you could get 2 pac N plays in a studio if you already have 4 adults registered. You likely wont in a 1 bedroom either, but it might be possible.

brandedguy
04-14-2007, 11:55 AM
From our experience.

2 Bedroom Lockoffs have come with 2 Pack and Plays, each time. (7 for 7 visits).

2 Bedroom dedicated have had 2 pack and plays 50% of the time (2 of 4 visits).

Request a lockoff at booking and you'll get 2 Pack and Plays.

You will also have the risk of the kids using the other exterior door.

Anyone have pack and play experience in a GV? 1 or 3 units?

Good luck!

kritter
04-15-2007, 06:33 PM
I have a friend who is going and her daughter will turn three while they are on their trip can she have three kids in a one bedroom?????

Deb & Bill
04-15-2007, 06:59 PM
I have a friend who is going and her daughter will turn three while they are on their trip can she have three kids in a one bedroom?????

She will be fine. The child will not be three when she checks in. That is what counts.

kritter
04-15-2007, 07:03 PM
She will be fine. The child will not be three when she checks in. That is what counts.

Ok great thanks,,.so people told her she had to tell them that when making her ressie...

Thanks so as long as she is under three right????

TenThousandVolts
04-16-2007, 06:45 AM
Ok great thanks,,.so people told her she had to tell them that when making her ressie...

Thanks so as long as she is under three right????
If she is under 3 at check-in then she is considered an under 3 guest for the whole stay, this is true for room occupancy AND park passes.

drusba
04-16-2007, 07:44 AM
Though I cannot speak for all resorts, I know at BWV that if you need a second pack n play, housekeeping will bring you one upon request.

flyerron
06-12-2007, 04:40 PM
AKV will have a sleeper chair as well as the sleeper sofa, so 1 extra person can occupy a 1 bedroom unit. I don't know about the other resorts or units

kritter
06-22-2007, 07:16 PM
I got two pack n plays for my twins when I went and we were in a one bedroom and parents were on the pullout......

ashrenee
06-25-2007, 08:30 PM
I am really new to the DVC....but I am wondering if we are allowed to have 6 adults in a 1-bedroom AKL villa or do we need to step it up to a 2-bedroom? Thanks

tjkraz
06-25-2007, 10:41 PM
I am really new to the DVC....but I am wondering if we are allowed to have 6 adults in a 1-bedroom AKL villa or do we need to step it up to a 2-bedroom? Thanks

You NEED a two bedroom.

The max occupancy is 5. Even if that weren't the case, I think you'd be miserable in a 1B. A 1B villa at AKV has a king sized bed, a queen sofabed and a fold out sleeper chair.

Oh, and the only rooms available in '07 and '08 have just one bathroom. The 1Bs with two baths won't open until sometimein '09.

I know everyone has a different idea of what is comfortable, but six adults sharing those sleeping accommodations and just one bathroom is pretty tight, IMO.

gscott8075
06-30-2007, 03:01 PM
We called MS before we left and were able to put 9 people down for a 2 BR. 5 kids / 4 adults. It was comfortable.

Just got back today.

squirrlygirl
07-05-2007, 11:04 AM
WHile I didn't quite get to every single post on this thread:rotfl: I'm trying to figure out WHY the problem with extra in a one-bedroom? Using OKW as an example, book 2 studios would give me 780 sq. feet and official capacity for 8 people. A one-bedroom would give me 942 sq. feet, but 5 people is a problem? That doesn't make sense to me.:teacher:

We bought in with the idea of always getting a 2-bedroom, but I must admit the thought of saving a few points and getting a one-bedroom while DD is under 3 is appealing. But it appears that would be inappropriate because I'd be stacking 'em like sardines, even though it would give me more room and better accomodations than 2 studios.:rolleyes1

Is it the principle of it?

hsmamato2
07-05-2007, 11:22 AM
You're not stupid,it IS the principle,that principle being less people mandated occupancy = more money spent on rooms etc.
the 1 bedrooms are HUGE- bigger than my living space at home in some ways- they could easily accomodate 8-10 people,if the beds were set up right- especially when you consider that 4 people can fit in a *tiny* hotel room..... but it is the principle,it's the rules!
??There's no way I and 5 of my friends could feel miserable in a 1 bedroom,not with all the splendid amounts of room to stetch out everywhere......it's MHO-I probably have low standards:rotfl:

hsmamato2
07-05-2007, 11:24 AM
the 1 bedrooms are HUGE- they could easily accomodate 8-10 people,if the beds were set up right-

ok...maybe I meant 6 or so people comfortably- 2 Big beds in bedroom-etc...;)

tjkraz
07-05-2007, 12:13 PM
the 1 bedrooms are HUGE- bigger than my living space at home in some ways- they could easily accomodate 8-10 people,if the beds were set up right-

And therein lies the main problem. One Bedroom villas were designed to only sleep 4 individuals. The fact that DVC is allowing 5 is already generous, IMO. They could have simply mandated that families of 5 or more book a Two Bedroom.

Sure, you could functionally cram bunk beds into the same square footage and hold a dozen people. But that's not the role that these rooms were designed to play.

The "hows" and "whys" are largely irrelevant. All DVC members agree to abide by the posted occupancy when they purchase.

Deb & Bill
07-05-2007, 12:21 PM
WHile I didn't quite get to every single post on this thread:rotfl: I'm trying to figure out WHY the problem with extra in a one-bedroom? Using OKW as an example, book 2 studios would give me 780 sq. feet and official capacity for 8 people. A one-bedroom would give me 942 sq. feet, but 5 people is a problem? That doesn't make sense to me.:teacher:

We bought in with the idea of always getting a 2-bedroom, but I must admit the thought of saving a few points and getting a one-bedroom while DD is under 3 is appealing. But it appears that would be inappropriate because I'd be stacking 'em like sardines, even though it would give me more room and better accomodations than 2 studios.:rolleyes1

Is it the principle of it?

Most people think the amount of square feet in the space is what governs fire safety regulations. That really has nothing to do with it. What does govern is the number of exits and the corridor widths available for emergency egress. You have to be able to get the number of people out who can actually fit in these spaces at one time. Think about the night clubs and dining facilities that have had fires in the past and the reasons for it. Usually they had locked exits that no one could use, so they were trapped trying to escape. The National Fire Protection Association has created standards for stairwells, door widths, etc. that communities, hotels, schools, must take into consideration to make sure people are safe when they are in those spaces.

And DVC only puts sleeping spaces for four in a one bedroom, so they only sleep four.

Doctor P
07-05-2007, 12:35 PM
WHile I didn't quite get to every single post on this thread:rotfl: I'm trying to figure out WHY the problem with extra in a one-bedroom?

It's a matter of a contract that you and I signed. We signed for an occupancy limit of 4 people in a 1 BR (with no special allowance for a child under 3, either). When I sign a real estate contract, I expect the provisions to be enforced and will abide by the provisions myself. Others apparently disagree and don't seem to think that contracts mean anything. That concerns me because if this provision is relaxed there is nothing saying that any or all of the other provisions that you and I depend on for our membership might not also be relaxed or not adhered to. So, yeah, it's principle, but it's also a whole lot more.

squirrlygirl
07-05-2007, 02:18 PM
So does reserving day-by-day also receive the same disapproval by the same people because it's a way to circumvent the booking 11 or 7 months from checkout day rule?

Deb & Bill
07-05-2007, 02:20 PM
So does waitlisting day-by-day also receive the same disapproval by the same people because it's a way to circumvent the booking 11 or 7 months from checkout day rule?

No, because you can't waitlist for a non-home resort before 7 months out. You can't reserve a non-home resort before 7 months out from the second day of your trip booking day by day.

squirrlygirl
07-05-2007, 02:27 PM
I used the wrong word--I meant reserve, not waitlist.:headache:

Chuck S
07-05-2007, 02:36 PM
I used the wrong word--I meant reserve, not waitlist.:headache:

Well, that does change your question a little...but no, while I personally have never booked day by day, there is nothing in the rules that would prohibit it, and if people at the home resort wanted that room, they had several months prior to do so. Otherwise, at 7 months, points are points, everyoone has the same advantage and is able to call day by day, if they wish. My only qualms about it, possibly, would be that it could up dues slightly because of MS time and 800 number charges...and for the member that does book day by day it is an inconvenience. But it is certainly OK for a member to call that way, if they wish.

squirrlygirl
07-05-2007, 02:48 PM
My rules say I can book at 11 months from checkout. So to call every day at 11 months out (or 7 months if it's not my home resort) and book a room for only that night with the preconceived intention of calling back to add more nights is clearly just a way to get around the rule. So how is that okay if the objection to occupancy levels is "because it's the rules"? If I follow the rules--book my entire stay at 11 months from my checkout date--I may not get my rooms because others have bent the rules and called day-by-day:sad2: .

Dean
07-05-2007, 04:50 PM

Is it the principle of it?As has been noted, there really are several issues here. These include the current rules as well let us wear and tear which leads to maintenance costs and saturation of the various resort components including transportation pool parking and the like. Some would erroneously point out that some units will have less than the maximum and this is actually assumed as part the official occupancy.

The stated occupancies are consistent with industry standards where a studio will normally sleep 4 as will most one bedrooms. This does not mean however that the units are truly intended for that number. They really are more intended for two in a studio and two plus a child or two in a one bedroom. From Disney vacation Club standpoint there are financial advantages to not having a higher occupancy.

So does reserving day-by-day also receive the same disapproval by the same people because it's a way to circumvent the booking 11 or 7 months from checkout day rule?Actually no, these are two totally and separate things. One is not only within the rules but actually intended by the rules. The other is somewhat outside the rules and many of us feel totally against the rules. There's no question that a reservation option that increases you were chances of success directly decreases someone else's. In my opinion, that is okay as long as one is within the rules.

My rules say I can book at 11 months from checkout. So to call every day at 11 months out (or 7 months if it's not my home resort) and book a room for only that night with the preconceived intention of calling back to add more nights is clearly just a way to get around the rule. So how is that okay if the objection to occupancy levels is "because it's the rules"? If I follow the rules--book my entire stay at 11 months from my checkout date--I may not get my rooms because others have bent the rules and called day-by-day:sad2: .Interesting, I do not believe I've seen that interpretation previously. Given that one can book a single day the common interpretation is 11 months from that check out day. Member services has consistently suggested that members call and reserve day-by-day for certain reservation types. Likely the only way they could enforce timing from the last day of check out would be to create a minimum stay.

Doctor P
07-05-2007, 05:00 PM
My rules say I can book at 11 months from checkout. So to call every day at 11 months out (or 7 months if it's not my home resort) and book a room for only that night with the preconceived intention of calling back to add more nights is clearly just a way to get around the rule. So how is that okay if the objection to occupancy levels is "because it's the rules"? If I follow the rules--book my entire stay at 11 months from my checkout date--I may not get my rooms because others have bent the rules and called day-by-day:sad2: .

The reason is that you are making separate reservations one day at a time. For convenience and scheduling purposes, Disney chooses to allow you to put them together under one reservation saving both time, effort, and postage. There is nothing circumventing the rules. Each night is a separate reservation which is well within the rules. There is no rule that says you are only entitled to a single reservation for each visit to DVC.

flyerron
07-05-2007, 05:08 PM
You know some of these occupancy rules are actually laws. The township or city or whatever local municipality may have juristiction over the occupancy
rules. The size of the unit makes no difference it is the type ie:studio or 1 bedr etc. I know this is the case elsewhere & may apply to to the Disney area.

squirrlygirl
07-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Just because member services allows more than 4 in a one bedroom in no way makes it okay but booking day-by-day is okay because member services allows it?:lmao:

Oversimplification, I know. Totally understand that there's reasoning behind the occupancy thing, but surprised at the thought that Disney would risk the wrath of fines or being shut down for being unsafe. Doesn't seem like a risk they would take, and placing extra members on the reservations certainly makes it hard to look innocent. Seems to me (in my completely uneducated opinion, of course!)that maybe it's allowed more in response to what members want. Curious, though, if a child under 3 is an occupant. Is it 4+baby, 4 with baby, and if you're talking the extra person, is it 5+baby or 5 with baby??

Dean
07-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Just because member services allows more than 4 in a one bedroom in no way makes it okay but booking day-by-day is okay because member services allows it?:lmao: No because one is within the rules and one is not.

Oversimplification, I know. Totally understand that there's reasoning behind the occupancy thing, but surprised at the thought that Disney would risk the wrath of fines or being shut down for being unsafe. Doesn't seem like a risk they would take, and placing extra members on the reservations certainly makes it hard to look innocent. Seems to me (in my completely uneducated opinion, of course!)that maybe it's allowed more in response to what members want. Curious, though, if a child under 3 is an occupant. Is it 4+baby, 4 with baby, and if you're talking the extra person, is it 5+baby or 5 with baby??Disney in general has not counted the first child who is under three as part of the occupancy. However, when they have stretched the occupancy as in five in a one bedroom unit, they have counted that infant as the 5th person. Therefore when member services has allowed five in a one bedroom other than animal kingdom villas, it is not five plus an infant.The

Doctor P
07-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Just because member services allows more than 4 in a one bedroom in no way makes it okay but booking day-by-day is okay because member services allows it?:lmao:

Give me a quote from a LEGAL DOCUMENT (not a member guidebook) that refers to your checkout day. The LEGAL DOCUMENTS refer to making reservations 11 months or 7 months prior to a particular USE DAY.

Deb & Bill
07-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Sorry, squirrlygirl, but the POS does allow for day by day reservations since it references the use day. It also states that members are encouraged to make reservations as far in advance as possible to obtain the best choice of Vacation Homes and dates.

squirrlygirl
07-06-2007, 08:47 AM
[B]Give me a quote from a LEGAL DOCUMENT (not a member guidebook) that refers to your checkout day. The LEGAL DOCUMENTS refer to making reservations 11 months or 7 months prior to a particular USE DAY.

POS -Home Resort Rules and Regulations- (which is the governing rules for reservations) says "From eleven (11) months through and including eight (8) months in advance of tehir desired check out day, Club Members have....." "Members who wish to reserve.....seven (7) months in advance of their desired check out day."

If it ever becomes a problem, a minimum stay up to 5 nights will be imposed. Right there in the POS. So all these people complaining about how difficult it's becoming to book the low-supply, high-demand rooms....guess what the solution will be? 5-night minimum stay. No more booking one day at a time. But that's a bit OT.

To the poster that clarified the baby/occupant, thank you.

Chuck S
07-06-2007, 09:11 AM
While the POS contains the rules of the association, remember that just because it states there is an 11/7 window, that can change, too. Only a one month window is actually required.

However, the check-out day thing is certainly open to interpretation as it is written. For instance, say I wanted to reserve 12-20 to 12-25 day by day. I could call on 1-21 for a one day reservation (12-21 being my desired check-out day. Then I could call for another one day reservation on 1-22, with 12-21 being my desired check-out day. And so on... That is certainly allowed by the rules, isn't it?

Member Services is not required anywhere to link those reservations, they do it as a courtesy so members don't need to check-in and out (putting undue strain not only on the members, but on the resort operations personnel). By linking the reservations they reduce the number of front desk personnel needed, and the number of housekeeping days that would be required for a daily, separate reservation, thus keeping members happy and our dues under control.

squirrlygirl
07-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Member services wouldn't have to find a way to keep dues under control if people didn't make the day-by-days in the first place. If too many members "interpret" the rules the same way, it will get changed. Just as the 11/7 rule can change, so can the minimum stay. When you call any other hotel in the world, do you tell them your check-out day is the 7th, then call back and make a new reservation for the night of the 7th? Or do you tell them initially that you'll check-out the 8th? The rest of the world operates with the 8th checkout, so how come I'm the odd one for thinking that doing otherwise is a circumvention of the rules?
It's kind of like a construction zone on the freeway. If one guy zips up the side and tries to get in at the last minute, not much happens. Enough guys do it, you're at a stand-still. So perhaps the day-by-day booking should be more of secret.

Chuck S
07-06-2007, 09:38 AM
The rest of the world operates with the 8th checkout, so how come I'm the odd one for thinking that doing otherwise is a circumvention of the rules?

Because it is not a circumvention of the rules at all, the linking of those reservations is not specifically mentioned in the POS, but making separate daily reservations is not specifically prohibited anywhere.

Chuck S
07-06-2007, 09:46 AM
And even though it speciically mentions the possibility of a 5 day minimum stay, it also would legally be nearly impossible to implement. Disney can not FORCE people to bank or borrow points, yet must allow them to use their points. With a 25 point minimum contract being available through resale, there is currently NO option to use 25 points for a 5 day stay without banking or borrowing, thus Disney, if it wished to implement that rule, may be forced to buy back any contract that does not have enough points to allow for a 5 day annual stay.

Doctor P
07-06-2007, 10:52 AM
[B]

POS -Home Resort Rules and Regulations- (which is the governing rules for reservations) says "From eleven (11) months through and including eight (8) months in advance of tehir desired check out day, Club Members have....." "Members who wish to reserve.....seven (7) months in advance of their desired check out day."

If it ever becomes a problem, a minimum stay up to 5 nights will be imposed. Right there in the POS. So all these people complaining about how difficult it's becoming to book the low-supply, high-demand rooms....guess what the solution will be? 5-night minimum stay. No more booking one day at a time. But that's a bit OT.

To the poster that clarified the baby/occupant, thank you.

The document you cited, though included in the material that includes the POS, is neither part of the POS nor a legal document that requires any kind of regulatory filing to change. It is also not a legal "disclosure document" if you read the fine print carefully, and can be changed at any time without notification through the sole actions of DVD.