PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have a stop in New Orleans when they are flying to Disney??

bride03
09-01-2005, 10:33 PM
My plane going back home (in December mind you) has a lay over in New Orleans and I was just wondering if anything would change?? I wonder what will happen if we can't go to New Orleans...surely they would just go non stop or maybe just stop somewhere else??

mareed
09-01-2005, 10:55 PM
You have a good question. If you're flying Southwest, their site now shows that they are no longer making any reservations to/from New Orleans. I checked on flights from Houston, and the ones that stop or connect in New Orleans are showing unavailable now. If you're on Southwest, I imagine you'd see your flight unavailable. Fortunately, we're booked non-stop on our Nov. flight.

bride03
09-01-2005, 11:02 PM
We are already book and paid for. Does this mean that they will help us to find another flight or what??? This would seem a little dumb of them just to cancel these and not give anyone notice that they have been bumped off a flight and they need to make other arrangements.

branv
09-01-2005, 11:38 PM
I was just thinking about this today. Since we know they CAN and DO have direct flights from SA and Austin to MCO, and if they're all the same plane, theoretically I would think all they would have to do would be to make all flights direct instead of connecting in New Orleans. Or perhaps they'll try to arrange a layover in Houston instead?

I assumed that the only reason these stop in NO from SA and Austin was so they could pick up people from NO who want to travel to MCO, i.e. full plane. So I have to wonder if this might mean they'll consolidate some of the flights from TX to get full planes?

bride03
09-02-2005, 12:01 AM
I called Southwest and this is what she told me...

ONE...she said my flight was too far out to know if there was even going to be a problem down the line.

TWO...she said that they will either just do a direct flight from Orlando to San Antonio or they would be contacting me to get me back on another plane and they would do this before my vacation.

So...now I'll just have to hope that it's a direct flight now because I really don't want to deal with the headache of a new flight and possibly mistakes and misunderstandings being made.

MAH4546
09-02-2005, 12:02 AM
Direct flights that stop in New Orleans are, until further notice, being routed via Houston Hobby (for example, Southwest #299, Fort Lauderdale-New Orleans-Los Angeles, is now Fort Lauderdale-Houston-Los Angeles), although, on some occasions, they are doing it non-stop.

If you have a connection in New Orleans, then call Southwest and ask about it. If you have a through flight, everything will be fine. However, by December, MSY should be open, although airline will be undoubtedly offering much less service.

Cyndo723
09-02-2005, 10:10 AM
I was scheduled to fly out of New Orleans on Sept. 15 and back into NO on the 18th. (I had gotten a $29 each way ding fare.) I called Southwest, and they changed my flights to go out of Houston for the same days for no extra charge. (edit: I checked my e-mail today, and because of the difference in taxes and fees, the flights are now $1.30 cheaper) They were very helpful. I had my choice of any flights on those days. She even said that if I needed to adjust by a day one way or another that would be ok.

I had almost decided to cancel the trip, considering what we're going through down here. But I think a weekend away from everthing in a couple of weeks will really be what the doctor ordered. My daughter who lived in NO and another family are living with me right now. We're not sure how long they will be with us. They were lucky. They got out early and their homes are not under water. But they may not have power for months, and what is left in their homes is probably looted by now. But we do feel blessed to have everyone safe.

P.S. Do you think Disney would let me add my daughter on to my package at this late date? We have free dining for the weekend. She could sure use a little magic right now.

4greatboys
09-02-2005, 10:52 AM
P.S. Do you think Disney would let me add my daughter on to my package at this late date? We have free dining for the weekend. She could sure use a little magic right now.

Yes I do think they will let you add her on. Give them a call.

bride03
09-02-2005, 03:53 PM
It is beyond me why people think they have the right to loot when something this major happens. The devil at work...that is what it seems like to me. (I don't want to sound like a religious nut, that's just the only thing that comes to mind)

I am glad to hear stories where everyone got out ok. I can't imagine what Louisiana must look like right now. I've never been there in the first place but I am baffled by the pictures and what is being said.

Luv2Travel
09-02-2005, 05:02 PM
I have a flight booked Sept 30 going from B'ham, AL, to NO, to MCO. I don't return until Oct 8, but I again have a stop in NO. I've called Southwest 3 times to check on my flight. The first time I called I was told that my flight would probably be made a direct flight if MCO did not open by then. But she also told me that I could rebook flying out of Nashville and go direct. I couldn't make up my mind if I wanted to chance it or not so I told her I'd call back (big mistake :rolleyes: ). When I did try to call back they would not let me rebook, but also told me that my flight would probably become a direct flight. I called again later in the day to see how like WDW CRO they would be and to see if I'd get a different answer :rolleyes: . I still couldn't rebook, but for the third time I was told my flight would probably become a direct flight.

arminnie
09-02-2005, 10:52 PM
I have two round trip flights New Orleans to Orlando scheduled in October and November.

I cancelled my hotel for October but haven't called Southwest yet.

sk!mom
09-02-2005, 11:14 PM
I called Southwest and this is what she told me...

ONE...she said my flight was too far out to know if there was even going to be a problem down the line.

So...now I'll just have to hope that it's a direct flight now because I really don't want to deal with the headache of a new flight and possibly mistakes and misunderstandings being made.

Have you been watching the news? You're trip is months away, I think that Southwest and everyone else in the country has bigger things to worry about than whether or not you have to deal with the "headache of a new flight" to get to your great vacation.

I'm sorry if this response seems harsh but a vacation that is 3 months away seems a trivial concern right now.

Disneyland_emily
09-03-2005, 12:42 AM
^ Agreed-

The entire tourism industry of that area is basically reeling (not to mention EVERY industry in that area) and they are more worried (AS THEY SHOULD BE) about what to do with the people that are flying today and this week far more than next week and next month and everything after that-

Things will work out in the way they need to in time- Let them figure out the Today stuff before making them worry about the 3 month later stuff...

-em

xmelissax
09-03-2005, 02:08 AM
It is beyond me why people think they have the right to loot when something this major happens. The devil at work...that is what it seems like to me. (I don't want to sound like a religious nut, that's just the only thing that comes to mind)

I am glad to hear stories where everyone got out ok. I can't imagine what Louisiana must look like right now. I've never been there in the first place but I am baffled by the pictures and what is being said.

I think it's horrible as well about the looting, but I imagine people feel like they have nothing left,and therefore nothing to lose. They're desperate and maybe see no other option. This is not to say I think it's ok to loot, just a little insight into why it is probably occuring since you said it's beyond you. Desperate people often do desperate things unfortunately.

seashoreCM
09-03-2005, 09:12 AM
If your flights have been cancelled the airline should book you on alternatite flights. You can make several attempts to rebook now and if the airline refuses, you can use these early attempts as grounds to to hold the airline civilly liable for any increase in fare on another airline if they cancelled the flights later and no suitable alternate flights were available by then.

IT is not safe for evacuees to go home even if their house is above water and far from leveled. There may be looters holed up in the house next door waiting to pounce and carjack. Many more guns have entered circulation, many more innocent people robbed, raped, and injured, and relief delayed for so many others because the police did not take drastic measures to curb looting of non-survival materials.

This country as a whole has not done enough to curb looting everywhere, if it had there would not be so much looting.

Movie worth viewing, if you can find it, "Daddy's Boys".

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Even the tank drivers at Tianenman Square did not quell the rioting citizenry until several days had passed and more direct orders came from above, likely punishing the tank drivers.