PDA

View Full Version : Just back from WL - nice upgrade!

Steffi
08-28-2005, 09:14 PM
My family & I got back today from a weekend at WL. We had a wonderful stay! Our crew consisted of myself, DH, DD and my niece and her husband. I rode out there with my niece and her husband; my DH and DD were meeting us there after school let out.

We arrive at about 11:15 and checked in. Both DNiece and I were offered rooms right away, if we didn't mind smoking-optional. We asked to wait for non-smoking rooms. The CM was very nice and friendly and said no problem. We were told that our non-smoking rooms would be ready in a couple of hours and that we'd be getting rooms very close together and that we'd been upgraded and would love our view. Exciting!

We went to Olivia's for lunch (very good lunch) and then drove over to AKL to look around. We got back to WL at almost 3 PM and our rooms were ready. DH & DD had already stopped by the front desk and picked up their keys and were upstairs waiting for us.

Our rooms were great! We got room 6041 & DNiece & her husband got 6035. Wonderful courtyard views! What an extremely nice and unexpected treat, especially considering that we'd booked standard rooms for only $124 a night, and made no requests other than non-smoking rooms! We could see the geyser erupting and could view the water parade from our balcony. Here's a picture of our view:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/Dixon33510/viewfromroom6041small.jpg

We had a great weekend! :sunny: Cast members seemed to be in great Disney moods, the weather was actually pretty nice, and the crowds were more than manageable. It was fantastic!

pennyplanner
08-28-2005, 09:20 PM
It sounds wonderful! I do LOVE WL. :goodvibes

What a nice surprise to be upgraded.

Thanks for posting!

--penny

GADISNEYGIRL
08-28-2005, 09:25 PM
Sounds wonderful! What a fabulous view you got... love those Disney upgrades! :sunny: DS would LOVE to view the EWP from our room (we'll be there in January, can't wait)...but unless we get an upgrade, also, it's parking lot view for us! Oh well, it's the WL, so I am NOT going to complain!! So glad you had a nice weekend!

pooh2001
08-28-2005, 09:38 PM
I read you had a car. Did your try the transportation ?
How were the buses & boats ?
Was the gift shop nice ?

Any special hints about the WL resort ?

We booked a courtyard room. We are going a busy time - End of June till early July. I do not want to miss out on a great courtyard view - so it'll be worth the extra $$'s.

Did your room have bunkbeds ?
That is one of our requests - plus non-smoking (or I will be Sneezy our whole 2 weeks :rotfl2: )

Mcmouse
08-28-2005, 10:09 PM
Wow that was great.

I'm glad you had such a nice surprise and a great trip.

Mike :cool1:

Steffi
08-28-2005, 10:30 PM
I read you had a car. Did your try the transportation ? How were the buses and boats?

We did drive our cars from WL to OKW, AKL, and Boardwalk, but we rode the boats and buses to get to the Contemporary & MK & Epcot. We had no problems at all with long waits or overcrowding; it was wonderful! I love the boat ride from WL to FW to MK. It's so neat to see what's left of River Country and Discovery Island.

My DD & I stayed at WL for July 4th, just the two of us. DH had driven us & dropped us off, so we didn't have a car that time. We used WDW transportation exclusively and had no problems whatsoever, even at such a busy time of year.

Did your room have bunkbeds ?

No, our room didn't have bunkbeds. Maybe they try to assign those rooms to people with more than one child?

Any special hints about the WL resort ?

Take the time to explore the place, inside and out; the scenery & theming are wonderful.

Bring a board game or card game with you & play it in a cozy nook by a fireplace.

There are arts & crafts in the Cub's Den every afternoon for kids. They also have pool games, beach games, and duck races for the kids on different days.

Eat at Whispering Canyon.

Bird-watch.

Was the gift shop nice ?

WL has a nice gift shop with some things that you can't find all over WDW property. It's on the small side, but that's ok, because the Contemporary is just a quick boat ride away! I love the Contemporary's "mall".

I hope everyone who's going to WL soon or in the future enjoys it as much as my family & I! :sunny:

Belle5
08-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Thanks! We're hoping to be staying at the WL in January!

pooh2001
08-28-2005, 10:44 PM
WOW - great WL report !

I am so looking foward to staying there. Hoping for those bunkbeds for our kids.

I have even started to pick up a few surpises - A Woody small plush for teen DS (just for the fun of it), a small plush Bambi (woods theme) for tween DD, and a small Princess lunch box (I know not WL themed - but well liked) for DD.

I will fill the DD's lunch box with a few Disney trinkets, and I know she will bring some of her own.

thanks for the quick response to questions :)

c.w.e.m.
08-29-2005, 07:12 AM
steffi,

i thought that view in your post looked familiar. we were in 6055 last week. no bunkbeds and non-smoking. we were also upgraded from standard to courtyard view.

the place is great, isn't it???

disgram
08-29-2005, 07:29 AM
We were thinking of staying at the WL and took a ride over there. My DD and I thought that the place, while absolutely beautiful, we FROZE while there! It was in October and so it wasn't really that hot outside but when we went inside, we could not stand the AC. We did eat at the resturant there and the food was good but we could not wait to leave because of the temperature. Has this changed? We would love to stay but this was not acceptable.

tubachick
08-29-2005, 07:37 AM
Thanks for sharing, I love :love: reading reports about WL. Glad you had a great upgrade!! thanks again.

canwegosoon
08-29-2005, 08:22 AM
You are making me so happy we were able to get WLV for 1/2 of our trip!!!! :cool1: :cool1:

#1Disfann
08-29-2005, 10:18 AM
I'll be checking in with DH & DD for the first time in less than 48 hours!! :banana: :banana: :cloud9:

Blondie
08-29-2005, 10:47 AM
Wow! You had a great view! WL is a beautiful resort, no doubt!

c.w.e.m.
08-29-2005, 11:43 AM
We were thinking of staying at the WL and took a ride over there. My DD and I thought that the place, while absolutely beautiful, we FROZE while there! It was in October and so it wasn't really that hot outside but when we went inside, we could not stand the AC. We did eat at the resturant there and the food was good but we could not wait to leave because of the temperature. Has this changed? We would love to stay but this was not acceptable.
I can't answer about October, but it sure felt good walking into the lobby last week!

samsmom05
08-29-2005, 11:53 AM
disgram, so sorry to hear that you froze and were uncomforable. That is probably a good thing for our upcoming trip. We will be at the WL very soon. My family is originally from northern Minnesota so the lower temps sound inviting. The more I hear about the lodge the more it seems like the place we are supposed to be.

Steffi
08-29-2005, 02:06 PM
I'll be checking in with DH & DD for the first time in less than 48 hours!! :banana: :banana: :cloud9:

Have a great birthday trip! :flower: It's a nice time of year to be at WDW!

CaliforniaDreaming
08-29-2005, 02:15 PM
What an awesome view!

wlweems
08-29-2005, 02:21 PM
WOW, how did you get WL for $124 a night? NOW that is unbelieveable!

ha! ha! what a great view.......glad you had a nice trip!

WDW LifeLong Fan
08-29-2005, 02:34 PM
So glad you had a great trip!

:banana:

Steffi
08-29-2005, 03:18 PM
WOW, how did you get WL for $124 a night? NOW that is unbelieveable!

Gotta love those Florida resident's rates! :teeth:

Troy08
08-29-2005, 06:32 PM
Someone asked about the gift shop at WL. It's actually very good. I bought the majority of my souvenirs right at the WL mercantile the night before we left. I had scouted out the shop earlier and knew just what I wanted to purchase. Saved me from having a lot of extra stuff in the room the entire stay.

Forever a Princess
08-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Wow! What a wonderful surprise for your upgrade.
I'm glad you had a good time.

3M's
08-29-2005, 10:32 PM
How on earth did you get $124 a night?

DISNEYFAMILYOFFOUR
08-30-2005, 05:58 AM
Great view!!!

ExPirateShopGirl
08-30-2005, 07:44 AM
What a lovely room! Glad you enjoyed your stay! I can't wait to get there! Only 5 more weeks!

:flower: