PDA

View Full Version : During Thanksgiving... $239.50 at Dolphin or $325 at YC??

*Fantasia*
08-28-2005, 06:01 PM
I don't know.. During Xmas, the rate is just way to high for me and I am taking my parents with me for their surprise Xmas present. So now I am thinking of moving the date up to Nov 23-27 for only 4 nights (My son do not want to miss a day of school). This is during Thanksgiving Holiday.

I wanted BC cause it is the closest to Epcot. My mom might need an ECV scooter, so I figured the closest to the parks the better. We are mainly doing Epcot and MGM so I don't have to worry about the bus transportation.
Anyways... BC is booked, but YC is available with AAA discount which is $325 per night. OR stay at the Dolphin for $239.50 a night.

I am not too crazy about the Dolphin.. but if it's going to give me a better rate, then maybe I should go with it. Isn't Dolphin far from the entrance of Epcot? How long is the walk to Epcot? Or should I fork out more money and do the YC (will try for BC)?

Thanks for any infos you can give me. Any pros and cons? I already know about the no Mickey stuff at the SwanDolphin. But anything else? Thanks!

scanne
08-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Hmmmm, that is a tough one. I don't care for the Dolphin too much either, but it's a considerable difference in cost! Are you getting one room or two rooms? Have you thought about renting points from a DVC member to get a 1 or 2 bedroom villa at the Boardwalk or Beach Club?

If you have the means, I'd go for YC. I much prefer the Disney resorts, but I've never stayed at Swan or Dolphin, so I'm just going by my impression from the outside.

Also, the walk from there is lengthy. But the boats pick you up but then you have to stop at Boardwalk, and YC/BC and it does take a while.

Hope this helps!

*Fantasia*
08-28-2005, 06:53 PM
$325 is for just one room only. I don't think there's any way I can afford two rooms!...well... let alone one! But I have to adjust my budget somewhere else.

I wanted to take advantage of DME (Great service.. used it 3x already!) because it's convinient and it's FREE!! But SwanDolphin doesn't participate in DME cause it's not Disney resort.

My parents wouldn't know if it's Disney resort or not.. all they will know is that they will be on Disney property when they see the Epcot Spaceship Earth!! My mother has been to Disney once many years ago and my dad never. So this will be a treat for them!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts scanne. I appreciate it. Anyone else?

johnsonet
08-28-2005, 06:57 PM
deleted

*Fantasia*
08-28-2005, 07:01 PM
Go with the YC!! You'll miss the Disney theming at the Dolphin! :cloud9: I was afraid of that! Ha ha ha... I just thought of something. I have enough Mickey soap and shampoos and lotions.. maybe I should just bring that with me! As far as wake up call, I don't usually use it.

BTW... the $239.50 at the Dolphin has the resort view (whatever that means) with balcony! All YC rooms have balconies/patios. But I got the std view (parking lot?).

swilphil
08-28-2005, 07:05 PM
The Dolphin is a great hotel. It only takes 8 to 10 minutes to walk to the entrance of Epcot. You go across the Boardwalk, and it's a very nice, leisurely walk. You can also take the boat. The beds are comfy, and they have many handicapped accessible rooms if your mom needs one. The pool is nice and the staff is extremely accomodating. You are talking about almost a $100/night difference for each room. Just think of how much fun you can have with that money. Have you ever seen the lobby of the Dolphin? It's quite impressive. I like it much better than most of the Disney resort lobbies, except for the GF.

thumpersfriend
08-28-2005, 07:21 PM
I vote for the Dolphin, never been there but would love to hear what you thought of it. You never know, it might become one of your favorites. $l00 a night is really alot of money. And if they don't care where they stay it shouldn't make a difference. I would like to hear what you think of the Grotto pool etc. Good luck in your decision. The heavenly beds are something else I would like to hear your opinion on.

*Fantasia*
08-28-2005, 07:32 PM
I vote for the Dolphin, never been there but would love to hear what you thought of it. You never know, it might become one of your favorites. $l00 a night is really alot of money. And if they don't care where they stay it shouldn't make a difference. I would like to hear what you think of the Grotto pool etc. Good luck in your decision. The heavenly beds are something else I would like to hear your opinion on.Thanks my fellow Michigander! Sounds like you value my opnion.. that makes me feel good! If I do stay here... I will have lots of pixs for you to see! From the heavenly bed to each corner of the Grotto pool! :) Yes.. you never know.. I may fall in love with this resort.. aside from the better rate!

$100 is a lot.. that would equal to $400! That can be use toward dining! OR $100 can be used for transportation to and from the airport. :( I don't wanna rent a car cause now.. I would have to pay for the parking.

Anyone else?... Please share your thoughts...experience.. any infos! Thanks!

*Fantasia*
08-29-2005, 07:39 AM
Second page already!! Morning BUMP!! :Pinkbounc

Please... need more replies!! Thanks! :)

ElizabethB
08-29-2005, 09:57 AM
We just returned from the Dolphin. It is considerably farther away from Epcot than the Yacht Club. Having said that, there are many things to recommend the Dolphin. It has a wonderful pool area (probably second only to Stormalong Bay on Disney property). Huge and meandering pool, pretty waterfall, lots of lounge chairs in sun or shade, great (fast!) slide, pool volleyball. There is also table tennis and a basketball court. Our kids had lots of fun with all of this.

I've never had a comfortable pillow at any Disney resort, including the deluxes, but the heavenly beds at the Dolphin are wonderful. The pillows are very high quality down pillows. The beds are triple sheeted and have a down comforter and a down bedspread. They are lovely. Though, in hindsight, I might have chosen the Swan for its queen beds, rather than the doubles at the Dolphin. There were always lots of thick, fluffy towels. There was a coffee maker, with coffee replenished daily. There is a hair dryer and a magnifying makeup mirror. If you have two beds, there is an area by the window with a very small table and a comfortable chair. There is also a bench, which we used for additional seating at the table. We had good housekeeping and the room was clean. There is a minibar. For $20, they will empty it. We chose to do so, and it was $20 well spent. We had a very nice sized fridge for milk, juice, sodas and small water bottles for the parks. We stopped at the grocery store and purchased breakfast items. It was great to relax with coffee, juice and cereal in our pj's rather than getting dressed and going out to breakfast.

The Dolphin has an absolutely gorgeous lobby with a large fountain. Most evenings, a pianist plays in the lobby. We love listening to him play. I think the Dolphin architecture is great fun. Many don't like it, but it's very appealing to me -- fanciful, creative and quite festive and Disney-like. We had a lot of conventioneers while we were there last week. This doesn't bother me at all, but may bother some. Frankly, I'd rather have more conventioneers and fewer children running all over! You won't have conventioneers over Thanksgiving, though.

There is no question that you get a real sense of luxury at the Dolphin. So, if your parents don't really know one Disney resort from another, I think they will love it. We had a lovely view that looked out on the ferry landing to Epcot and MGM and towards the Boardwalk, so you definitely know you are on Disney property!

If your mom has an ECV, then the extra walk to EPCOT may not matter. We always took the boats since the walk was a bit much with small children. I think ECV's can get on the boats fairly conveniently but you may want to check that.

Bus service to MK was very reliable. Of course, the convenience to Epcot and Disney/MGM can't be beat. We rented a car, but didn't need it. We probably would just use a car service if we stayed at the Dolphin again.

I had a few things that I was less than pleased with at the Dolphin:

-I thought the rooms were a bit small -- our last stay was at the Contemporary and that may have influenced me, as those rooms are very large. Nonetheless, it was okay. I don't know the square footage to compare it with YC.

-The movement sensor for the cooling system was a real problem. We awoke at 3:30 a.m. drenched in sweat at which point we read the fine print under the thermostat. Essentially, when the motion sensor doesn't detect movement, the thermostat resets at the temperature the hotel wants it to be, rather than the temperature the guest wants it to be. That was no problem while we were out and at the parks (I don't mind if the room takes a few minutes to cool down when we return to it), but it was a real problem at night. We requested that the hotel disable the sensor, which they did with no questions asked. But, it did leave a bad first impression. My advice would be to request that the sensor be disabled as soon as you get to your room.

-The internet connection was unreliable. It seemed to depend on how many other guests were logging onto the server. If you go at Thanksgiving, you won't have as many business guests as we did, so this may not be a problem.

-The self parking costs $7 per day. Valet is $14 per day. The annoying thing is you have to swipe your card not just to get in the parking lot, but also to get out. And, they've divided the parking lot so that if you go down a row and can't find a parking place, you can't turn around, you have to back out the entire length of that row. Very inconvenient.

Generally, the above were small inconveniences. While you are staying there, you dial 66 for any issue or problem. The hotel seems determined to go out of their way to provide good service. We misplaced our TV remote and another one was brought up immediately. There was a follow up call later to make sure we received it. Service was very quick, attentive and polite at all times.

All in all, for a $100 per night difference, I'd go with the Dolphin. I think you'll find it to be luxurious and your parents should enjoy it. There are lots of restaurants, as well as the Dolphin Fountain for burgers and ice cream and a cafeteria (Tubby's) for pizza and such. The cafeteria was never crowded while we were there.

And the $100 savings buys a nice meal each day!

maui2k5
08-29-2005, 10:55 AM
I was in a similar situation when trying to play my trip with my GF and parents to WDW in March for the trip next month. I have always stayed on property at Disney Resorts and knew that for my first trip back since 1999 I wanted to be on property again. When I started to look into things, I also realized I wanted to be in the Epcot area once again. The rates for a parking lot view at the YC, BC or Boardwalk were over $300 per night. I was able to work out a deal for 9 nights at the Swan with a Resort View Balcony room (offers views of Epcot) for $169 per night. For the equivalent room at the BC, YC or Boardwalk the price approached $400 per night. Even when I figured in the free dining plan when it was available, I still would end up saving at least $100 per night at the Swan.

I love Disney themed resorts, but when it came down to some Mickey soap or $1000, I chose the money. Westin Hotels have excellent beds and after a long day in the park, it will be a welcome amenity... My other options in that same price range were Moderate Resorts and I did not think I would be gaining anything by choosing one of them over the Swan. If money were no object I would be at the YC or BC, but I know we will all be very happy at the Swan - the location and price make it very hard to pass up unless you will not have a fun trip without the Mickey soap (I could buy a lot of Mickey Soap for the $1000 in hotel savings).

webray
08-29-2005, 11:02 AM
The Dolphin is a superior hotel..compared against any of disneys resorts...I would stay at Dolphin in a heartbeat. Definately with the better rate.

Tikiman
08-29-2005, 11:03 AM
I will tell you we are Platinum Starwood Preferred guests and we love many of the Westin, Sheraton, W Hotel etc we have stayed in but I would pick the YC over the Dolphin anytime even when we can stay at the Dolphin for free with our points. I liked the location of the YC much better and we did much less walking when at the YC. I also liked the feel of the YC much better than the feel of the Dolphin (much too large) but than again you might feel differently. I just wanted to add my opinon.

Aloha

Steve

Susiesnowflake
08-29-2005, 12:08 PM
Telly,
I've never stayed at either, so I can't help you with your choice. I have a question for you though.....you seem to go to Disney World alot and I was wondering if you wanted to adopt me so that I could tag along on your many trips? :) I don't eat much and I could force myself to pack less. My husb and I aren't returning to the Polynesian until late November, and I sure could use a fix before then! :)

Have a wonderful time wherever you decide to stay! :)

Susie

ElizabethB
08-29-2005, 12:23 PM
Maui2k5 -- We stayed a few years ago at PO Riverside. While it has very pretty landscaping, etc., there is no comparison between Disney moderate resorts and the Dolphin/Swan. Dolphin/Swan is simply in a different league. While Tikiman prefers Yacht Club (and I might, too, if the prices were the same), the luxury and convenience of the Dolphin/Swan leaves the Disney moderates in the dust, IMHO. I think you made a wise decision!

*Fantasia*
08-29-2005, 12:40 PM
WOW!! Thanks so much for taking your time to share your thoughts and lots of great infos!! You guys are greatly appreciated. I know I prefer BC over YC, so I called and have them switch it to BC. So now... it's a lot closer to the IG. I have a coutesy hold (you know the 14 days until the reservation expires)

The cost difference is $492! BC vs Dolphin. Okay so take $100 off of that due to transportation to and from the airport. Savings of $392! Hmmm...

I suppose the length to Epcot from SD shouldn't matter if we're going to take the boat. What do DS guests usually do? Take the boat or do most of them just walk it?

Thanks Steve for your input. I wish the choice was easy. Now.. if it was Polynesian vs Dolphin... I think you know what I would pick! But since we are mainly going to focus on WS at Epcot and MGM... I think the best thing to do is do the Epcot resort. I have never done any Epcot resort so I am a little apprehensive staying there. I think I am more comfortable staying at the MK area... I don't know why, maybe cause I have done Poly and WL and have dine at GF and CR and I am familiar with the resorts and the surroundings.

I value everyone's opinion and I am taking it into consideration. We will see. If I can't even get a good rate on the air fare then, I may even move it back to Dec during the Holiday (between Xmas and NYE) and I might have to drive it from Michigan to Orlando. And this would mean back to POR resort! Or maybe do two rooms at the value resort.

Thanks again everyone for sharing your experience and your thoughts and infos. Please chime in if there's anymore thoughts you'd like to share or add. TIA!

Tikiman
08-29-2005, 12:41 PM
Maui2k5 -- We stayed a few years ago at PO Riverside. While it has very pretty landscaping, etc., there is no comparison between Disney moderate resorts and the Dolphin/Swan. Dolphin/Swan is simply in a different league. While Tikiman prefers Yacht Club (and I might, too, if the prices were the same), the luxury and convenience of the Dolphin/Swan leaves the Disney moderates in the dust, IMHO. I think you made a wise decision!

I would agree 100% that when comparing a moderate and the Dolphin I would choose the Dolphin even if the Dolphin were more expensive. The Dolphin in my opinion is way above the moderate resort in location and amenities.

*Fantasia*
08-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Still debating here. If I go during Xmas.. (Holiday rate), I am definitely have to go with POR no doubt. Even the Dolphin would be very expensive during that time. I checked it and no AAA discount or senior citizen discount. But during Thanksgiving.. the rate at the Dolphin is a little bit more reasonable and I can get a AAA discount.

Honestly... as much as I like the BC look... I think I am gearing towards the Dolphin. I am getting the resort view (what is it.. Epcot view- view or the other Epcot resort or the lake) and with balcony! At BC... all I am getting is a std view (probably a parking lot view) and balcony is not guaranteed because not all rooms have balconies.

And honestly... the only advantage I can see staying at BC is that it is a walking distance to Epcot. Though the Dolphin is right there... it seems like it is much farther away (what..like 15-20 minutes away and BC is 5-10 minutes?)

Am I making good judgements on these two resorts? Oh.. I think I need more opinions. Anyone else got more opinions or thoughts to add? HELP! THANKS!

MOM POPPINS
08-29-2005, 05:51 PM
Still debating here. If I go during Xmas.. (Holiday rate), I am definitely have to go with POR no doubt. Even the Dolphin would be very expensive during that time. I checked it and no AAA discount or senior citizen discount. But during Thanksgiving.. the rate at the Dolphin is a little bit more reasonable and I can get a AAA discount.

Honestly... as much as I like the BC look... I think I am gearing towards the Dolphin. I am getting the resort view (what is it.. Epcot view- view or the other Epcot resort or the lake) and with balcony! At BC... all I am getting is a std view (probably a parking lot view) and balcony is not guaranteed because not all rooms have balconies.

And honestly... the only advantage I can see staying at BC is that it is a walking distance to Epcot. Though the Dolphin is right there... it seems like it is much farther away (what..like 15-20 minutes away and BC is 5-10 minutes?)

Am I making good judgements on these two resorts? Oh.. I think I need more opinions. Anyone else got more opinions or thoughts to add? HELP! THANKS!
I would stay at the Dolphin! We have stayed at the Dolphin numerous times. You cannot even compare it to a moderate Disney property. We ride the boat to Epcot. We have walked but we prefer the boat ride. Plenty of walking to do once we get to Epcot. When going to Epcot you stop at Beach Club and Boardwalk and then on to Epcot. When going to MGM the boat has already picked up the other resorts so you go straight to MGM.

The Grotto pool at the Dolphin is great! The lobby is beautiful! If you want to see Epcot and Illuminations from your balcony request a high floor on the EAST wing. The WEST wing faces the grotto pool. It can be a bit of a walk to your room but worth it for the view! The elevators and very fast at the resorts. Any other questions please ask.. :)

:wave2:

*Fantasia*
08-30-2005, 12:12 PM
MOM POPPINS, thanks for your input. No, I'm not comparing POR to the Dolphin. If I must move my date to Dec (Christmas week), I would have to go with POR. That's the least expensive resort that will accomodate 5 people. Dolphin and BC is totally out of the question.

If during Thanksgiving... then the rate of BC and the Dolphin wouldn't be too bad and I am getting my AAA discount.

Sounds like I need to go with the Dolphin. I'm sure we'll like it there. I have my SPG card... so who know, maybe we'll get a nice upgrade (wishful thinking). But I already have the resort view with balcony, so I am happy with that.

MOM POPPINS
08-30-2005, 01:36 PM
Hi again :) Did you ask about the "entertainment rate" at the Dolphin. I have heard of others getting a rate right under 200$? It's worth a call to find out if it is available during your stay.

:wave:

*Fantasia*
08-30-2005, 04:52 PM
Hi again :) Did you ask about the "entertainment rate" at the Dolphin. I have heard of others getting a rate right under 200$? It's worth a call to find out if it is available during your stay.

:wave:
I booked it on line and it didn't have that option, it just had Government Employee, Senior Discount, Promotional Rates and Automobile Association. Besides, I can't even find my EC and it will expire in Nov
. I should have one sent to me real soon though.. Thanks for your suggestion. I'll just call tomorrow.

WDW LifeLong Fan
08-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Go with the YC!! You'll miss the Disney theming at the Dolphin! :cloud9:

Hi Telly,

I agree with Liz. Also, there are usually several times during the year that you can get the Dolphin for much less than this.

Your DS sounds like my two DD's. They hate to miss school. :rolleyes:
Thank goodness they take after my DW! :rotfl:

Gordon

Disney5Mom
08-30-2005, 06:18 PM
The Dolphin Pool is fantastic. There also have a great hot tubs. The beds are very comfortable and the lobby is impressive. My daughters loved the Dolphin and preferred it to being at POR (we did a split stay). We really liked walking on the boardwalk and had a great breakfast at Spoodles. We watched the fireworks from outside the resort and had yummy ice cream at the fountain. For the difference in price I would try the Dolphin and then you will know whether or not you like it for future trips. Although I would chose to be in a Disney Resort, half of my family would choose the Dolphin. So I say, give it a try!

CaipiraBob
08-30-2005, 06:49 PM
The Yacht Club is really wonderful. One of the biggest advantages of the YC is the pool, which is really a mini water park. The unfortunate thing is that the weather this time of year can get pretty cold for swimming, so the pool isn't such an advantage. We've been to Disney Thanksgiving weekend when the temperature has dropped into the low 40's. Not quite swimming weather, even for you snow-luvin' Yankees out there. ;)

In this case, the Dolphin may be more ideal. Simply because for the price difference, ~100 a day, you can walk a little further to enjoy Disney. That's either a good meal or some nice smaller meals.

Now if you believe the $s are worth being a little closer to Epcot and the environment at the YC, then go for it. It's just that for my money, the pool would be the deciding factor. The Dolphin and Swan have a tremendous following on this board and given the time of year and the choice, I'd be tempted.

Crazy Kanga
08-30-2005, 07:17 PM
I think I would go with the Dolphin and spend the extra $ on a nice dinner or two with your parents.

*Fantasia*
08-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Thanks guys! I love when there's more responses to read! I know SAB is a one "hot sizzling pool"... the #1 pool per most DISers. But I guess at this point, it is more about the best rate. I would love to stay at the BC... because it is so close to the IG. But I suppose I could easily take the boat to Epcot and MGM. I'm hoping that there will be lots of folks from YC/BC to just walk it to Epcot, then there will be more room for us on the boat and less wait.

NOW... if I can only find great air fare... it would be a beautiful thing! If not.. I may have to move it back to December (during Christmas) so I can drive it from Michigan to Orlando. And this will give me more time drive and not be rushed. The children will be off from Dec 23- Jan 3. And this will only mean POR for us... or two rooms at POP... another decision there.

Thank you... thank you.. thank you everyone! You guys have been such a great help! If anymore thoughts you guys want to add.. please just chime in!

Telly
:)

NancyIL
08-30-2005, 08:48 PM
I have stayed at the Dolphin and Swan quite a few times since 2000, but never the Yacht or Beach Club. I LOVE the Swan and Dolphin, and would definitely choose that to save the money.

ExPirateShopGirl
08-30-2005, 09:49 PM
I'm sorry, Telly. You've already been to WDW too many times this year. You'll have to wait until sometime in late 2006 before booking another trip. Remember, let everyone else have a turn!!!

;) :rotfl:

bizeemom4
08-31-2005, 06:21 AM
I've stayed at both.

The bathrooms are more 'deluxe' at the YC. We received a complimentary upgrade from std vw to water vw and had a perfect view of Illuminations from our balcony. It was pure heaven and felt extemely lucky!!!!!

Dolphin is a great hotel. The CMs are soooo nice. Dolphin/Swan are the last stop on the boat to MGM so it's a shorter commute for those hotels than YC/BC.

I have ressies at the Swan for Mousefest. You just can't beat a deluxe at the price of a Disney mod. I'd save the money and stay Dolphin.

*Fantasia*
08-31-2005, 08:41 AM
Thank you guys so much for taking your time to reply and giving me some insights. I'm sure we will have a wonderful time no matter where we stay. I just can't wait to see my parents face when they see Disney is all decked with Christmas decorations... and the spirit of joy around them. I would love love to just stay at WL... the perfect resort during the Holiday, but we are concentrating doing Epcot and MGM and maybe take a quick glimpse of MK. We will see....