PDA

View Full Version : Help with Animal Kingdom Lodge

Zandy595
08-28-2005, 11:30 AM
We have decided to stay at AKL in a standard view room. I read on AllEars that the standard rooms are on floors 1-4.
1) Is there a better area or floor to request? FIL has a bad knee and doesn't want to walk farther than he has to.
2) I noticed the buses are near the Giraffe Trail rooms. Are there standard rooms in this section?
3) I also saw rooms that appear to be over the lobby. Do those rooms have outside views? From the the map it doesn't look like they do.

Please help me figure out what to request. I need to book it today. :sunny:

Tiffany
08-28-2005, 01:17 PM
We have decided to stay at AKL in a standard view room. I read on AllEars that the standard rooms are on floors 1-4.
1) Is there a better area or floor to request? FIL has a bad knee and doesn't want to walk farther than he has to.
2) I noticed the buses are near the Giraffe Trail rooms. Are there standard rooms in this section?
3) I also saw rooms that appear to be over the lobby. Do those rooms have outside views? From the the map it doesn't look like they do.

Please help me figure out what to request. I need to book it today. :sunny:

Hi,

Standard view rooms are located on the Giraffe and Ostrich Trails. They face the front of the resort overlooking the parking lot and valet and a route to the bus stop. The Giraffe trail will be closer to the pool and foodcourt but the Orstrich Trail will ensure you do not over look the bus stop.

Zandy595
08-28-2005, 01:37 PM
Thanks Tiffany! It's hard to tell on the map, is it a long walk to the buses from Ostrich Trail? I don't want a bus stop view, but FIL doesn't want to walk far to get to the buses. Do all of the standard rooms in Giraffe Trail over look the buses?

Tiffany
08-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Thanks Tiffany! It's hard to tell on the map, is it a long walk to the buses from Ostrich Trail? I don't want a bus stop view, but FIL doesn't want to walk far to get to the buses. Do all of the standard rooms in Giraffe Trail over look the buses?

Hi,

No not all of the rooms. There are a few rooms on the 3rd floor that are even, more or less, with the walkway to the AKL Bus Stop.

I would suggest that you note on your reservation your FIL's knee issue and have your first request be to be close to the lobby on the 3rd floor.

soccer mom
08-28-2005, 02:08 PM
The buses are beyond the rooms. The only rooms I would not want are the ones you walk by on the way to the bus stop (third/lobby floor, but ground floor at the front of the resort, I think.) The resort is built so you are entering on the third floor from the front with lower floors being exposed on the backside (like a walkout basement.) The room's balconies butt right up to the side walk that people walk along to get to the buses. There is a solid half wall rather than an open railing, but walkers could actually put their arms into your balcony. If I had one of those rooms I would want the drapes completely closed day and night and I would never sit on the balcony. Higher wouldn't be bad, but I'd probably request Ostrich Trail. Maybe someone else can confirm the floor numbers or explain better what I am trying to say.

LuvTigger
08-28-2005, 02:22 PM
I'm looking at the map right now and agree that a 3rd floor Ostrich Trail room seems to be the way to go. The lobby is on the 3rd floor (I had a 3rd floor room on my last trip) and it really makes it very convenient, especially getting out to the buses in the front. The rooms closest to the lobby on Ostrich Trail on the 3rd floor are 3108-3122. Next is 3123-3138, and furthest is 3139-3142.

The bus stop is a little bit of a walk from the lobby, and I don't think it's going to make much of a difference in terms of distance if you get Giraffe Trail or Ostrich. I think most of us are recommending Ostrich since it will probably be quieter and more private than Giraffe since people will be walking by, plus the main gift shop is right before Giraffe Trail too.

If you haven't already, you might want to go to www.mousesavers.com to see if they have any discount codes you can use for a savannah view room. That way you'll not only be able to see animals from your room, but you'll also have many more options in terms of room location. Last year (October) I was able to get a standard savannah view for about $154.

Zandy595
08-28-2005, 03:17 PM
I just booked our rooms. I got $169 standard parking lot view (FL rate). She said that was the cheapest rate they had. When MIL calls, to pay her deposit, I'll tell her to request Ostrich Trail near the lobby for us.

Another question for you. When we visited friends at AKL a couple years ago we went on their balcony at night and the mosquitoes were awful. Anyone else had this problem?

jcemom
08-28-2005, 06:57 PM
No mosquitos for us in February, but it could be the time of year. I would think that overall mosquitos would not be as bad at AKL as at some of the other resorts because AKL does not have a lake. :confused3

MickeyFanPaNy
08-28-2005, 08:18 PM
We just returned from AKL a few weeks ago and no problems with the mosquitoes! I actually brought bug spray but never had to use it. We LOVED the resort! Have a wonderful time! :earsboy:

Angel16
08-29-2005, 04:13 PM
We were at AKL in Oct, 2004. And will be there in a month. No bugs, no problem.

Hope you have a wonderful trip. It is a fantastic resort!