PDA

View Full Version : Refillable mugs taste like plastic to anyone?

Aanna
08-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Has anyone else noticed that the refillable resort mugs make anything you put in them taste like plastic? Not just a little, but REALLY industrial-plastic tasting. I'd tried similar mugs in college several times and had to throw them all out, but when I saw them at out last trip to Disney my DH and I figured we'd try them again. BIG mistake for us! Within 2 minutes my morning tea tasted like hot plastic water. I'm not a huge tea or coffee snob, but this was simply undrinkable by either my DH or me. Even cold drinks picked up the flavor.

Maybe most people don't taste it? I found that one sippy cup I bought for my daughter gave her water the same plastic-y taste... so this plastic must be really widely used. My DH and mom can taste it, too, but not my dad... I've never seen any complaints here, but there must be *someone* else out there outside of my family who notices this. :listen:

Just curious :)

Dizneydaz
08-28-2005, 09:44 AM
I too have noticed an off taste to hard plastic cups. I have a refillable cup from a local restaurant that I have to make sure to wash very well or it gets this soapy/plastic taste. I've also noticed that carbonated drinks seem to go flat sooner in the refillable mugs versus a regular disposable cup. I don't usually drink hot drinks in my Disney mug so I don't have any suggestions for that, for the cold drinks I try to drink them fast or I transfer to another cup.

Maybe rinsing the cup with vinegar could help-just a thought. My older cups seem okay-I think the taste disappears over time, but the flatness of the soda still persists.

So no, you're not the only one who's noticed. But, the rest of my family seems okay with it.

18 days and counting!! :grouphug:

Terk-1
08-28-2005, 09:46 AM
When I buy a new mug at the resorts, I will usually wash it out with hot, hot water before filling it up. Never had a plastic taste. I actually have a nice collection of these mugs at home from various resorts I've stayed at and usually bring one to work, especially in the winter time.

Aanna
08-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Oops, I didn't mention that I've tried washing them, boiling them, scrubbing them, letting them sit with baking soda.... I got pretty creative in college LOL. Still the same taste just seems to leach out of the plastic.

I wonder if I could buy the mug and then just carry a disposable cup along with me. Wonder if anyone would mind me filling up the disposable if they saw I had bought the refillable :p

MaryannF
08-28-2005, 10:37 AM
Just the thread I've been looking for! I too notice the plastic taste. I thought that it was because we were using the mugs to make tea and that it was the hot water that was affecting them. When we went to Pop in Feb. I bought the mug that looks more like a travelling mug you would buy at home to take your coffee/tea in the car. Same plastic taste. I've asked other people and they don't know what I'm talking about. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

daisyduck123
08-28-2005, 11:25 AM
I've never noticed the plastic taste in my resort mugs before...but now that the idea has been implanted in my head, I'm afraid I'll notice it next time. That's what I get for browsing on my computer instead of doing the laundry that's awaiting me. :earboy2:

Deb & Bill
08-28-2005, 11:28 AM
Hey, it beats the taste of a bread bag. :rolleyes1

eeyore0062
08-28-2005, 11:58 AM
No, and I have a WHOLE HUGE collection of them at my house... at least 2 from every resort at which we have stayed. Never had any problems with them at all!

stellaxluna
08-28-2005, 12:22 PM
No.....

DISNEYFAMILYOFFOUR
08-28-2005, 12:41 PM
No, never.

SurfingGirl
08-28-2005, 12:46 PM
I have never tasted this except once but if your wrinse out really really good yiu cant see it

mickey0216
08-28-2005, 02:21 PM
No issue here...

sjdisneywedding
08-28-2005, 02:51 PM
never tasted anything plastic-y. The do carry a plastic odor and sometimes smell relates to taste.

ever do a sort of at home test? put the drink in the plastic mug for awhile then transfer to a glass and see if it tastes like plastic still, chances are its the smell.

LindsayDunn228
08-28-2005, 06:10 PM
Nope, never.

grinningghost
08-28-2005, 06:23 PM
Nope, not yet. Hopefully never. :)

annie1995
08-28-2005, 06:26 PM
I never noticed mine last summer tasting that way :confused3. Hopefully just a fluke..

UrsulasShadow
08-28-2005, 06:44 PM
I wonder if some people are more sensitive to tastes/smells than others. I never noticed it, but now I'm on a new allergy med, and for the first time in my life, can smell things (this is not always a good thing, I've found). We'll have to see this christmas if I can now sense an off-flavor.

eeyore45
08-28-2005, 07:16 PM
I notice it, but I feel its in *my* head!! :rotfl2: I love crystal clones for beverrages :rotfl: (glass!), and I have a bone china mug I enjoy my hot tea, so not to confuse anyone, its like the only luxary I do have!! So when I take my mug there, its an 'off' taste for me, like I said, I really thought it was only me!! :rotfl2:

luvsTink
08-28-2005, 10:53 PM
I may be crazy, but I think all liquids taste best in glass. And, yes, I find the refillables almost unbearable. At home I never use them.

Anne

lovethattink
08-28-2005, 10:59 PM
I think it might be the smell of the plastic. Because my mugs smell like plastic.