PDA

View Full Version : What grocery items are sold in resorts?

WDW4ME
08-28-2005, 08:24 AM
Just thinking about taking ME instead of a towncar to hotel, only 2 adults.

Wondering what groceries you can buy in the resort shop and how are the prices? Do they just sell bottles of water individually? Trying to decide if a grocery stop is a must for all we need.

Also wondering, i read where you should be prepared to walk when dropped off at the airport as it does not take you to your specific airline, in my case, US Airways. Do you find that true?

Many thanks! :moped:

Terk-1
08-28-2005, 08:30 AM
All of the resorts have a gift shop, which also sells some groceries. You can get milk, donuts, beer, soda, water, chips, snacks, juice and other items. The donuts are Entemens and are pre-priced. Please be aware that the price you are paying for the other items is going to be more than you would pay outside of WDW. For example, a sports bottle of water that would cost you $0.99 at say Walmart will cost you $2.50 inside WDW. When I go with family, we usually stop and pick up quite a bit before we head into WDW, such as bread, PB&J, juice boxes, milk, cereal, etc.

Best_Vacation_EVER!
08-28-2005, 08:52 AM
Most resort shops sell the basics at highly inflated prices.

If you need just a few things (water, snacks, etc...) one option is to take the bus to DTD and there were a couple of places that you could walk to -- one was a gas station type food store. If you need more than just light snacks there are also some local grocery stores that will allow you to order online and they'll deliver to your resort (Goodings I think is one of them.)

disnut8
08-28-2005, 10:40 AM
Disney sells the typical grocery items in their resort stores. Higher prices than offsite but it's good for essentials. You didn't say which resort you were staying at but it's been suggested that the Hess gas stations at the Boardwalk and across from Downtown Disney are a good alternative if you don't have a rental car and want some groceries at non Disney prices.

singingpixie
08-28-2005, 11:34 AM
another option many people take is to fill up a box with groceries and ship it to their resort ahead of time. They will hold it till you arrive. Or if you have extra room in your carryon, you can pack a bag. Technically, you're not supposed to check food in your baggage but I've done this as well.

julfre
08-28-2005, 12:05 PM
I never knew you weren't suppose to pack food in a suitcase. I've been doing that for years. I usually pack some water, a few plastic bottles of pop, snacks, drink mixes, microwave popcorn and breakfast bars(the cereal and milk combo bars are great for breakfast). This takes some of the need for groceries away. just make sure to spread it out over several suitcases as the weight limits on baggage is down to 50 lbs per bag for some airlines. I get the refillable mug at the resort-free refills plus nice souvenier -which takes care of most of my pop needs. The food courts usually have fresh fruit also.

pooh2001
08-28-2005, 02:54 PM
My suitcase - granola bar my family likes, gum (for plane ride back), lifesavers, & poptarts.

Food store stop on way to WDW - water bottles, cereal, cookies/crackers

WDW florist - family bag - we omit the cheese and ask for more fruit.

The rest - WDW resort gift shop for milk and .....

PatsGirl
08-28-2005, 03:05 PM
The only thing we'll need is juice/beer/wine and were going to have it delivered via wegoshop. Is there a place closer that we can get to without a car and save the $15 delivery fee and tip (probably $20 total)?
Does the Hess gas station have these items?

CarolA
08-28-2005, 04:21 PM
Hess has beer and a few juices, no wine. Think 7/11

PatsGirl
08-28-2005, 06:14 PM
Thanks Carol. Wine is a necessity :rotfl: so I guess Hess won't work. BTW, here in MA, we cannot purchase beer/wine in places like 7/11s or Cumbies. We have to go to liquor stores, etc. Brenda

UrsulasShadow
08-28-2005, 07:17 PM
I'm going to try wegoshop.com for the first time this year. I've heard so many good reviews, and we're staying in a villa, so it makes sense to have some groceries on hand to defray some of the meal costs. They do wine/beer/liquor, too.

UrsulasShadow
08-28-2005, 07:19 PM
Thanks Carol. Wine is a necessity :rotfl: so I guess Hess won't work. BTW, here in MA, we cannot purchase beer/wine in places like 7/11s or Cumbies. We have to go to liquor stores, etc. Brenda

I'm probably dating myself, but I remember a time when you COULD buy wine/beer in supermarkets and Cumbies in MA. :goodvibes

tiki23
08-28-2005, 07:21 PM
The only thing we'll need is juice/beer/wine and were going to have it delivered via wegoshop. Is there a place closer that we can get to without a car and save the $15 delivery fee and tip (probably $20 total)?
Does the Hess gas station have these items?

I am always looking for ways to save $$ so I can see myself trying to take a bus to DTD and the gas station mart and back to my hotel...then I also see myself dragging stuff on a bus, and getting irritated about how long it's taking me to do this! I think I'd much rather spend the $20 on delivery fee + tip than putting myself though the hassle. Either that or spend $10 on a cab.

Time is $$ at WDW! ;)

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
08-28-2005, 08:48 PM
You could take your family to Dtd and catch a cab from there to Publix or Goodings (more expensive) and then join them at DTD.

wanna-b-Tink
08-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Buy the wine in a World Showcase country. I LOVE shopping for wine in Germany! Wonderful choices!

And as for whether you should take the town car instead of ME...how many groceries do you need? The town car will cost around $80. Could you possibly save that much by buying your groceries outside WDW?

tripplanner2
08-28-2005, 09:12 PM
USE WEGOSHOP.com!!!

I cannot tell you how much we valued their services. They were waiting for us when we arrived (got there before our luggage) and we had everything we needed for less than cab fair.

ainmama2001
08-28-2005, 10:40 PM
If your groceries get to your villa before you do (I don't know if you can prepay or not) will the villa staff put them in your room (perishables in the fridge) or do you have to be there. I have wegoshop.com and some weshop place that I'm looking at. We have seven people in our villa for a week...ranging from aged 3 to 81. Food choices are going to vary considerably!

PatsGirl
08-28-2005, 11:10 PM
tike23: You are so right and I keep going back to this. But I'll be honest, I hadn't thought about how heavy those cases and litres of beer/wine would be without a car :rotfl2:

What was I thinking :confused3

And for only $20....okay, okay... I refuse to think about this again.

Thank you for setting me straight when I couldn't see the light. Brenda

tripplanner2
08-29-2005, 10:41 AM
When you place an order with wegoshop they give you an 800 number to call when you arrive at your hotel and have a room number. They make your delivery within 30 minutes of that phone call. For us we got to the room at the same time. We did not wait at all. Definately worth the $20.

magicmouse2
08-29-2005, 10:43 AM
Ok as Walmart veterans here are the things I liked to buy at the grocery stores in WDW:

Entetmanns cinnamon rolls, danishes, etc... Much fresher: (sp?)
Family size Pizza
Petzels
Disney Candy

dreamalittledream
08-29-2005, 12:02 PM
From what I have heard, there is a larger store at Ft. Wilderness campground. Still on Property but not as high priced. Not sure, just rumor. Can any one confirm the $s?
also there is a thread about Staples delivering water for free.
I am lucky, I have DM and DF bring us things since they are local! Mom shops very frugally for me too.

Dizneydaz
08-29-2005, 09:09 PM
Staples delivery is free if order is over $50.

17 days and counting!!!!! :cloud9: :grouphug:

dreamalittledream
08-29-2005, 10:54 PM
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=844755&page=1&pp=15

I found the thread on the water delivery from Staples, they say it is free if you join the rewards. sounds great if it is true!

MickeyMoose
08-30-2005, 07:39 AM
WEGOSHOP!!! YOU'RE ON VACATION!!!!! Who wants to go running around picking up groceries when they will bring it to your door for a pitance (in the whole scheme)? :love:

Also, the FW Campground store is very nice, with a great selection, but it is very pricey. That's not bad if you need just one or two items that you may have forgotten, but not for entire grocery stocking. :banana: