PDA

View Full Version : Live from POR

drusso
08-28-2005, 06:59 AM
Hi All,

Checked in very late on Thurs. 8/25. Here for 16 nts. When we arrived our plan was to do a split stay between 3 hotels. We typically stay deluxe. Well we love it here so much I went to the front desk to ask if we could do all nights here. They were very accomodating - canceled my other ressies and transferred the money over. Let me say I first called the 407 WDISNEY number and they did try very hard to help me - but the rate was much higher. They suggested calling the front desk. We are all happy things worked out.

Oh, one more thing, I made no room requests, other than non-smoking before I got here. Thought if they asked when I got here I would request the AB section. Well it was so late when we arrived they pretty much handed me my key and a map and wished me a good night. We are in the mansion section - Oak Manor building. I love it.

Also, took that magical express bus. Worked wonderfully - even at that late hour. Surprised to see so many guests at that hour! My bus made 3 stops - Old Key West - French Quarter - Riverside. Door to door the whole process took 40 minutes.

Had arranged for Wegoshop grocery delivery early Friday morning. Fantastic service.

Not on food plan but got the DDE card. This thing has just about paid for itself on 3 meals (only 2 of us). We saved $47 dollars already. We ate at Boatwrights for breakfast, Citricos and Kona's for dinner.

Will log back in late tonight. If you have any questions - I'm happy to try to and help. I've learned so much from all of you :wave:

lovethattink
08-28-2005, 07:07 AM
Hi. I'm glad all is going well at POR. We check in on Friday for the weekend. We requested non-smoking and Oak Manor. I know we'll get a non-smoking room for sure due to my son's health issues, but the building is just a request. Who knows maybe we'll be neighbors for a few days.

WDW LifeLong Fan
08-28-2005, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the report. We look foward to your updates.

Have a great time!

:banana:

chanty
08-28-2005, 02:32 PM
Hi,

We'll be there too in October. Can you elaborate on Wegoshop grocery delivery ??? What is it and how do you go about ordering stuff??

Thanks!

Chantal

drusso
08-28-2005, 03:57 PM
lovethattink: resort is not overly crowded so I'm hoping you get your request
also - there doesn't seem to be a bad view - landscaping is lovely

chanty: check out wegoshop.com - it will walk you through the process
I placed my order approx. 2 weeks before leaving home, I entered a grocery list (water, pepsi, etc.), I was specific with brand names and offered alternate acceptable brands. You enter the day and time you would like your groceries delivered (within 2 hr. timeframe). I received a prompt email confirmation from them with a telephone number to call once we had a room assignment . I did that and left them my cell number. They called me to let me know they would be by my room in approx. 15-20 minutes - I was at the pool at the time - it was great

mef78
08-28-2005, 04:10 PM
So glad you're having a good time! Real time updates are so much fun. Looks like you're getting some rain right now--I suggest going to see Piano Bob in the River Roost Lounge! :)

We liked POR when we stayed there as well. Have a great two weeks!

sweetinmaine
08-28-2005, 04:59 PM
We absolutely love POR! When we were there in March, we stayed in Oak Manor. I'm so glad that you can see the beauty of the place. Our son was staying at the Contempory but thought that POR was much nicer. Enjoy your stay there and thanks for the updates. Make those memories!!!

Delilah Bleu
08-28-2005, 09:46 PM
I am glad to hear that you like POR, it's hard when some people say it's great and others don't like it. We are going on our first WD trip 12/19-27 and are staying at POR. I'll be interested in your updates. :flower:

cristbaby
08-28-2005, 09:54 PM
Glad you're having such a nice time and thank you for taking the time to report. :flower:

Glendamax
08-29-2005, 12:59 AM
Drusso, thanx for the Live report!

I'm going to stay there in 2 weeks with a friend, and was thinking about staying in Oak Manor. Please let me know the following: Is it a long walk to the bus stop, or food court? Are you close to a pool? Is there a section/room/floor I should avoid? Any other helpful tips . . .

Sorry for so many questions . . . any answers you have, would be a great help! :listen:

drusso
08-29-2005, 11:07 PM
lovethattink: I sent you a PM with my contact details. Hope to see you here.

chanty: I forgot this before, Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time here.

mef78: Have not yet had a chance to stop and enjoy Bob, but the two nights I have run through the joint was packed. Looks like everyone was having a blast.

sweetinmaine: I must have 25-30 onsite trips and stayed many WDW hotels, the Contemporary is the only one I would not consider returning to.

glendamax: Still finding my way, but Oak Manor seems to be situated a equal distance between 2 bus stops (maybe 5 min. walk if that). I tend to get off at the front of the hotel when returning at night, prefer that to going through the parking lot, cut through the main building which houses registration, food court, bar, arcade, etc. then there is a bridge over the 'river' and Oak Manor is right there. There is a large 'quiet' pool on the side of the building which is wonderful. Mansion section has 2 pools while AB section has 3, in addition to the larger pool with the slide. As far as location, the only place I wouldn't want to be is on the third floor - I personally don't like the interior staircases and I have not yet seen anyone use the elevator. I paid for a standard room and that is what I got, however I think the view of the landscaping is very nice. I would not pay extra for a water view here.

Only suggestions for improvement:

hot tub is very very very small (yes it is working) there were 4 people in
there when I found it - they looked to be on top of each other

ordered in a pizza last night for dinner - it had to have been the worse
thing I have ever eaten - no matter how lazy and tired you are feeling - go
out for food or go to bed hungry

Weather has been cooperating. Yesterday was the first rain day since my arrival and it didn't move in until after 3pm so no complaints. It was one of those true Florida thunderstorms - soaked through to your underwear! Lasted several hours - hence the pizza......

Had dinner at Wolfgang Pucks tonight. Food was wonderful has usual. Service was off. Saw two groups get up and leave.

Glendamax
08-30-2005, 03:03 AM
Drusso, thanx so much for taking time to answer our questions so thoroughly!:teeth:

I hope you have yet another fun day!
-Gmax :wave2:

chanty
09-01-2005, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the thoughts!! The wedding is surely getting close and we can't wait for the honeymoon :Pinkbounc

Don't forget to update us on your trip!

Take care,

drusso
09-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Sat. 9/3

Crowds have picked up here today at the hotel and in the parks as expected for the holiday weekend. Last week we were able to walk into most restaurants without reservations (I hate planning too many things in advance). I've made a reservation for Yachtsman Steak this weekend but expect it to quiet down again come Tuesday. The days have been sunny and hot and the rain storms move in about 3pm for 2 hrs. or so.

Just an FYI - in all the times I have been here I didn't know...
1. annual passholders get a discount at the movies in Downtown Disney
2. you can take a city bus from the TTC to Sea World (makes for a fun day)

Enjoying our time here. POR is a beautiful resort. Housekeeping has been great.

PIRATEGIRL007
09-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Glad to see we aren't the only ones who hate WDW pizza. It's actually a disgrace to call it pizza!
Glad to hear you are having a great trip, I will be reading all you updates as we are staying at PO for the 1st time in december.

grcmag
09-03-2005, 09:45 PM
we'll be arriving in 2 weeks. it will be our 3rd stay at por, we love it as much as some of the deluxe resorts! look forward to your other reports. ::MickeyMo

AngieInOH
09-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the updates. Love to hear them!

txgirl
09-04-2005, 07:53 PM
We just returned on the 3rd. We arrived on Sat. 8/27 and stayed the week in building #18 AB at POR and had a fantastic time! This was our first ever trip to Disney and we are really grieving that it is over now. :guilty:

I can't believe how sad we all are! We had a wonderful visit-minus the extreme heat and humidity (and we are native Texans living in Virginia so we know heat). The crowds weren't bad and we loved our resort. The food court was madness on Sat. morning 9/3 but other than that was very manageable.

Glad to hear you love POR as well. It's hard not to wonder about the "other side". We ate at CR (Chef Mickey's) and Poly (O'hanas) and Fort Wilderness (Hoop Dee Doo) so we had the "what ifs?" a couple of times. Still we were thrilled with our choice and can't wait to go back! -(I can't believe I am saying that!!!! :rolleyes1 )

I am going to do a dining review and a trip report but I am still so overwhelmed by it all and school starts day after tomorrow!!!! AHHHHH :earseek:

Glendamax
09-05-2005, 12:48 AM
Drusso, thanx for giving another report! And TXgirl, I'll be looking fwd to your report as well. I'll be leaving for POR on Friday, so make it SNAPPY! :rotfl:

Atotty
09-05-2005, 07:56 AM
Hi,

Are you using the new hi-speed internet access at POR? I know it's suppose to be working some time this month.

Thanks!

drusso
09-07-2005, 08:55 PM
wiring for hi-speed is in the room - not yet connected - still using dial up - 'any day now' was the response I got

Well, I can't believe our 2 weeks is just about up, we head home on Saturday. Trip has been wonderful. Housekeeping great - we got lots and lots of towel animals. I never even knew I cared about such things - but it was a kick to come 'home' to find these little surprises. Transportation was great (boats & buses). Ate more than I care to admit and enjoyed every minute of it. We wrap up at Jiko Friday night.

momm2four
09-07-2005, 09:19 PM
whoa! What's this about internet access at POR? Will there be a charge? Is there somewhere I can read about this change? thanks!

Lori P. :)

Kycha
09-07-2005, 09:43 PM
How are the crowds now, after the holiday? I will be staying at POR at the end of the month and I am wondering if it will be crowded for our visit. :wave:

Evad
09-07-2005, 10:57 PM
We are also staying at POR at the end of the month. Can't wait :cool1:

Atotty
09-08-2005, 05:22 AM
Thanks for the internet info.

Atotty
09-08-2005, 05:25 AM
whoa! What's this about internet access at POR? Will there be a charge? Is there somewhere I can read about this change? thanks!

Lori P. :)

I've read that it'll be $9.95 for a 24-hour period. It's not w-fi so you won't be able to sit at the pool with your laptop :)

Dh is kind of upset because you can stay at other hotels (Holiday Inn Express for example) and get free wifi for your entire stay. Being an IT guy he says it would be incredibly easy for Disney to do the same thing.

chanty
09-08-2005, 10:39 AM
TTC

What's TTC???

Thanks!

Chantal

chanty
09-08-2005, 11:05 AM
you can take a city bus from the TTC to Sea World (makes for a fun day)

More info on that bus would be great!! How much and all, location, etc.?

THanks!

JESW
09-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Glad that you are having a great time! :)

Ah, Jiko's! We were just down in August (split stay between AKL, WL & BWI - wild vacation!) and DH & I are still talking about our dinner at Jiko's. (We put the kids in daycare and had dinner alone so that might be what made it so great too. :) ) I didn't think I would like anything on the menu but our server suggested the halibut and it was the BEST meal I had all week and we ate well. Enjoy!

Jill

Disneytrip
09-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Great to hear about your trip, thanks for all the details! I have reserved early March POFQ (used to always stay with family at POR but it's been awhile since I was at the resort since the updates). This is primarily time to get away with boyfriend and lounge, not necessarily hit the parks heavy. Hot tub is key so I'm concerned that you mentioned it is tiny. Would you suggest POR or POFQ for us? I loved the mansions. Thanks for the input!

Stephiehun
09-08-2005, 04:11 PM
Chanty: :flower:

We will be at POR on our honeymoon 10/17 - 10/22. :bride: My aunt and uncle (the family Disney fanatics) said it was their favorite resort!

OP:
Thanks for this thread - I keep seeing mixed messages on this resort. I'll just reread this one if I see a negative review! :cool1:

sunkissed212
09-08-2005, 04:16 PM
[QUOTE=drusso] ordered in a pizza last night for dinner - it had to have been the worse thing I have ever eaten - no matter how lazy and tired you are feeling - go out for food or go to bed hungry [QUOTE]

Wow, did you get the pizza from the food court at POR? We got pizza from there last year when we were at POR and I loved it. Maybe I was just really really hungry but I thought it was really good...oh well....sorry to hear yours wasn't appetizing.

Hopefully the remainder of your trip is wonderful!

lverga
09-08-2005, 08:15 PM
We are going to Port Orleans Riverside in October. Whats the DDE card? And do you know what the possibilities of an upgrade are once you get there? Sounds like your having a great time. Thanks for all the info. :wave2:

drusso
09-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Hi Chanty: TTC = Ticket and Transportation Center. You can access via the Polynesian Resort (back past the quiet pool - follow signs to Epcot monorail), its also a stop on the monorail loop. If you go out to the Disney bus loading area bear to the left - its the #50 Lynx bus (its a big PINK bus - can't miss it). The Disney castmembers will happily direct you - they even have the schedules available (or go to golynx.com). It is $1.50 each way and the bus accepts dollar bills. Takes about 15 minutes to get to Sea World. If you decide to go stop at Kona's in the Poly for breakfast first!

Sunkissed212: The pizza we had was the only 'room service' they offer - not sure if it is the same or not. Don't have any desire to try it again. Pizza at Wolfgang Puck EXPRESS in downtown Disney was very good. I have tried the food court for a few breakfast / lunch meals and was happily surprised.

Disneytrip: You can easily walk between the two resorts (10-15 min. at most). I walked over to POFQ a couple of times to check it all out. It is very quaint, smaller than POR, but there is something quite charming about the place. Everything is very compact and I can see that being a big draw for some. The hot tub seems to be the same size as the one at POR but it is not right next to the pool so it seemed more peaceful (at least when I was there). Only thing I didn't like is that POFQ only has the one pool - which can equal lots of kids and lots of noise. If you don't have kids (and sometimes when you do) - getting away from the little darlings (for just a little while) is heaven. But these are sister resorts and you can use both facilities. Hope that helps you with your decision.

Stephiehun: My original reservation was only for 4 nights. I never expected to like it here - especially after staying deluxe on most other visits (see below). I can honestly say I love it here and will happily return. Maybe I just got lucky, but the transportation here has been the best Iíve ever experienced, so I didnít really miss the convenience to the location of the parks. I did however miss the convenience of the dining options the deluxe resorts offer Ė so more planning was necessary Ė on the other hand, we saved a lot of money (a lot of money)

2005: Port Orleans Riverside
2004: Swan, Polynesian, Grand Floridian
2003: Polynesian, Yacht Club
2002: Yacht Club, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk
2001: Wilderness Lodge, Grand Floridian, Yacht Club
2000: Caribbean Beach, Beach Club, Contemporary
1999: Yacht Club, Boardwalk
1998: Yacht Club
1997: Yacht Club
1996: Yacht Club
1995: Beach Club
1994: NO TRIP
1993: Beach Club
1992: Caribbean Beach

drusso
09-08-2005, 09:33 PM
kycha: There are NO crowds (parks and ALL resorts). We are zipping through the parks and walking in and out of all the restuarants without prior ADR's.

lverga: DDE = Disney Dining Experience
Florida Residents and Annual Passholders can join and enjoy discounts of 20% on all food and beverages at most restaurants in the Walt Disney World Resort theme parks and hotels.

Membership includes complimentary resort and theme park parking for dining, as well as invitations to special member-only events. Members also receive half-price admission to Pleasure Island (member and one guest, excludes special events) and free admission Atlantic Dance Hall on the Boardwalk (member and one guest).

Cost is $75 per year for Florida residents buying a new membership, $60 for renewing Florida residents and $50 for Annual and Seasonal Passholders. You must have a valid Florida Driver's License or Florida state-issued ID card with a Florida address, or an Annual or Seasonal Pass, to join this program.

Call (407) 566-5858 (Monday - Friday, 9 am - 6 pm EST) for more information.

Glendamax
09-09-2005, 03:05 AM
Thanx Drusso for your reports! I'll be there TOMORROW!!! WOO HOO!!!

lverga
09-09-2005, 02:29 PM
Thanx Drusso! :-)

chanty
09-10-2005, 04:23 AM
Hi Chanty: TTC = Ticket and Transportation Center. You can access via the Polynesian Resort (back past the quiet pool - follow signs to Epcot monorail), its also a stop on the monorail loop. If you go out to the Disney bus loading area bear to the left - its the #50 Lynx bus (its a big PINK bus - can't miss it). The Disney castmembers will happily direct you - they even have the schedules available (or go to golynx.com). It is $1.50 each way and the bus accepts dollar bills. Takes about 15 minutes to get to Sea World. If you decide to go stop at Kona's in the Poly for breakfast first!

Thanks drusso!! That's awesome to know. I still wonder if we could take the same bus to go shopping...hmmmm Did you feel safe on that bus? I know that i personnally feel really safe on Disney property...

Thanks!

eeyore45
09-10-2005, 07:25 AM
I've read that it'll be $9.95 for a 24-hour period. It's not w-fi so you won't be able to sit at the pool with your laptop :)

Dh is kind of upset because you can stay at other hotels (Holiday Inn Express for example) and get free wifi for your entire stay. Being an IT guy he says it would be incredibly easy for Disney to do the same thing.

Look how long it took to get refrigerators (complimentary) in the rooms!! :rolleyes:

Evad
09-10-2005, 07:53 AM
Hi there

I was wondering, do all rooms have fridge's as well as coffee makers.
Also if they do have coffee makers how does it work, can we bring coffee and filters from home, do we need to buy from Disney. Hope I didn't confuse you with my question. It is just that Love my coffee and would prefer to make it the room instead of walking to the main building all the time.

Thanks
Dave

Mickey's Sister
09-10-2005, 02:16 PM
Hi,

First let me thank you for sharing your great experiences at POR. I have one question...

In your first post you said that your one room request was for a non-smoking room. According to allears.net, Oak Manor is the smoking building at POR. :confused3 I'm horribly allergic to cigarette smoke - causes me major asthma attacks - so I want to be as far away from the smokers as possible. I just want to make sure that my information is correct. I was going to request either Acadian House or Magnolia Terrace. Thanks!

Jessica :wave:

drusso
09-11-2005, 02:29 PM
Well we got home late last night and I was out grocery shopping first thing this morning - nothing like being back to reality!

Glendamax: Hope you are having a wonderful time and enjoy POR as much as we did.

Mickey's Sister: Our room was on the 2nd floor of Oak Manor and all the doorways I passed had a non-smoking symbol on them. It appeared to me any smokers staying in the building went downstairs to smoke (they have a few benches with ashtrays - also at the pools).

Evad: Sorry, we are not coffee drinkers, so I didn't notice much. Looked to be a small 4 cup model and the coffee and cups were supplied. Not sure about filters or creamer or if there is an additional charge to use or not :confused3

Chanty: Felt very safe on the bus. Drivers are helpful with directions too. When I got off the bus by Sea World I noticed there is a trolley car you can pick up to go to Universal and shopping. There are maps clearly posted detailing stops. Think it was only $1 - but not 100% sure as this wasn't on my agenda this trip. You may want to check with guest services at the hotel or in one of the shops at Downtown Disney. Whenever I was at Downtown Disney I noticed lots of people with shopping bags from the 'good' stores - so this is clearly I pick up / drop off point for WDW guests. I wish Disney would expand its shopping area.

Evad
09-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Thanks drusso
Guess I will just find out when I get there. Not long now. Can't wait :earboy2:

jj1403
09-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks for all of information!! You've been very helpful. I'm glad you enjoyed POR. I think it's a very beautiful and romantic resort.

princessjv
09-13-2005, 12:59 AM
Thanks Drusso!

I have requested Oak Manor. Did you also request it? or was it by chance?

If you weren't at Oak Manor where would you suggest if you wanted to be close to bus stops, close to food area and a quiet pool?

Will the fridge fit a half gallon of milk (I am preparing my wegoshop list and don't know what size to request)?

TIA!

pigby
09-13-2005, 01:51 AM
Hi Drusso

Glad to hear that Magical Express worked out for you. We are also on a late flight in October (arrival into Orlando Int at 10.45pm). Did they deliver your luggage same night or next day, or did you pick it up at the airport yourself?
I am thinking of packing a few 'next day' clothes in our carry on luggage just in case we have to wait till next day.

Shastie
09-13-2005, 03:03 PM
I'm so worried because everyone seems so organized! Knowing where to go and what are important things to see! I've never been there - so I don't know where to start planning. We requested building 18, NON-SMOKING, so that we were close to everything. Do all AB rooms have refrigerators? Does anyone have any advice for a newbie??? Our TA chose POR for us but after reading these posts, I'm really excited. We are going 11/10 - 11/15 and there are 15 of us celebrating our parents 50th anniversary. We know that because of the difference in ages of our kids that we will probably not always be together, but any suggestions are so welcome. Thanks for your help in advance!

drusso
09-13-2005, 07:43 PM
pigby: I too packed a few things for the morning but we got our bags that night. I actually called bell services when I got to the room and asked them to hold the bags for the next morning as I didn't think I would be able to stay awake and I was told they couldn't do that - no clue why :confused3 I was only told if we didn't open the door they would come back the next day. Needless to say, I was asleep when my bags arrived, luckily I heard him knocking - not sure if he was out there long or not and I never looked at the clock to see the time - just jumped back into bed

shasti: There are refrigerators in all the rooms. The only advice I can offer a newbie is to 'slow down and enjoy all the little details' - don't get crazy trying to see it all, because its impossible - just enjoy what you do see and take some downtime to enjoy the resort. If your kids are young enough they would never even know they were in Disney World - there are lots of activities to keep them busy at POR - pools, bikes, boats, fishing hole - just feeding the ducks seems to humor them for quite some time

princessjv: I ordered the quart sized containers of milk and they fit on the refrigerator door nicely. We got Oak Manor by chance - if they had asked I was originally going to request AB section - I winded up loving where they put me. There are 2 quiet pools in the mansion section and 3 in the AB section - I didn't think it was too much of a hike from anywhere (to buses or pools) - but I live in New York City and I'm a walker - I really loved walking out the door and seeing all the grass and trees - we have to look for it here! :rotfl:

Davefrompgh
09-14-2005, 10:05 AM
HI..OK..I read all of these posts and POR certainly sounds like it is for us...can you tell me where can I find pictures of the resort...pool, room, food court etc....I liked the overall look of POFQ, until I saw all the mask type things. I really did not care for them...Is the transportation fairly good? We recently stayed at Pop and Poly and although Pop's busses came quick, they filled up sooo quickly, you often had to wait for a next one. Do the busses supply both POFQ and POR....I really like the Magnolia side. Do you normally get the side you have requested? I am not so sure I would like AB..thanks

jj1403
09-14-2005, 10:30 AM
When we stayed there in 2002 I never had a problem with the buses at POR. Keep in mind that we were there in September and crowds were very light. We always got on a bus and they were never to crowded. We also stayed in the Magnolia Bend section. I loved it. The atmospher was really romantic, it's nice to just walk around and take it all in... I highly recommend this resort.

Mickey's Sister
09-14-2005, 11:20 AM
HI..OK..I read all of these posts and POR certainly sounds like it is for us...can you tell me where can I find pictures of the resort...pool, room, food court etc....I liked the overall look of POFQ, until I saw all the mask type things. I really did not care for them...Is the transportation fairly good? We recently stayed at Pop and Poly and although Pop's busses came quick, they filled up sooo quickly, you often had to wait for a next one. Do the busses supply both POFQ and POR....I really like the Magnolia side. Do you normally get the side you have requested? I am not so sure I would like AB..thanks

Two places to look for good pictures:

www.allearsnet.com - look under moderate accommodations - there are many photos, even a slide show

Also www.wdwinfo.com - though you may have already seen this since you're on the DIS.

I can't answer any other questions since we haven't been there yet either. But I'm counting down till November 27, LOL! I agree that the Magnolia Bend area looks lovely. That's what we're hoping for as well.

In your signature, is that pgh, as in Pittsburgh, PA? If so, I lived there for 5 years myself - Observatory Hill, on the North Side.

Davefrompgh
09-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Thanks Mickey's Sister for the websites...I am going to check them out now..Pgh, is from Pittsburgh...we live in the North Hills area..thanks again..

dizneycc
09-14-2005, 03:19 PM
drusso, did you ever get to the lounge to enjoy Bob? He is one of our must sees, even if we aren't staying at POR. Such great fun~

Candi

Mickey's Sister
09-14-2005, 03:42 PM
We are hoping to see his show during our trip. I've heard so many people rave about him! I actually sent him an email to find out when during our trip, he would be performing. The only night we can fit in the show is Wednesday & we have other plans earlier in the evening. Is it necessary to be there exactly when the show begins or do people come & go? We're meeting family for dinner at Wolfgang Puck at 7:30 & I know we won't be at there for the start of the show. But I really don't want to miss it!!!

I have one other concern, does RiverRoost allow smoking, & if so, how bad is it? I'm asthmatic & can't tolerate smoke at all. Thanks for the info!!!

dizneycc
09-14-2005, 03:54 PM
We are hoping to see his show during our trip. I've heard so many people rave about him! I actually sent him an email to find out when during our trip, he would be performing. The only night we can fit in the show is Wednesday & we have other plans earlier in the evening. Is it necessary to be there exactly when the show begins or do people come & go? We're meeting family for dinner at Wolfgang Puck at 7:30 & I know we won't be at there for the start of the show. But I really don't want to miss it!!!

I have one other concern, does RiverRoost allow smoking, & if so, how bad is it? I'm asthmatic & can't tolerate smoke at all. Thanks for the info!!!

Hi Jessica

You don't need to worry about being there right at the beginning of the show. People come all night. But hardly anyone goes. His show is broken up into 3 sets with an intermission inbetween each. During the intermission, Bob comes around to everyone and spends a moment or two getting to know you! And once he knows your name, consider yourself part of the show!

The first set is more geared toward children. He will have the kids come up on the stage and do dances, like the hokey pokey or chicken dance. He will have them dance around the room, etc.

As the evening goes on, the children do tend to leave and the entertainment, while still good, clean fun, does become more adult orientated.

As for smoking, we have been there several times and have never seen anyone smoking or even ashtrays. While I can't confirm it is smoke free, I would bet it was. Maybe someone else will know for sure.

Have a great time! If you have any other questions, you can PM me if you want.

Candi

Mickey's Sister
09-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Thanks Candi!!! I'm just so excited I don't know how I'm going to wait till November! :banana:

dizneycc
09-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Thanks Candi!!! I'm just so excited I don't know how I'm going to wait till November! :banana:

Hey Jessica! I just noticed that we will probably be there the same time. I will be there Nov. 29-Dec. 5, but I am staying at POP.

LvTinkerbell
09-14-2005, 04:35 PM
It is great to hear all the info about the Port Orleans Riverside. We are staying there Sept. 24th thru Oct. 1st on our first Walt Disney World Vacation. I can't believe it is only 9 days away. I am so excited I feel like I should start packing now so I don't forget anything. I hope the weather cooperates so that we can enjoy our visit. We were lucky enough to get in on the dining plan for free and hopefully the restaurants we choose turn out to be a good choice. Hearing that you decided to move all your days of stay to the Port Orleans makes me feel so much more at ease. Thanks again for the wonderfully detailed posts. :cheer2: :banana: :rotfl: :cool1: :bounce: :lovestruc

Mickey's Sister
09-14-2005, 04:42 PM
We'll be there Nov. 27 - Dec. 3. Are you doing MVMCP or Candlelight Processional? Make sure you wear something lime green! This trip it's just me & my DS (11) plus DSIS who lives outside Orlando will meet us for various events. I'll have something lime green (maybe just a DIS button, LOL). If you see a lime-green-wearing 40-ish :earboy2: auburn haired lady with a brown-haired boy with glasses stop & say "Hi!"

Davefrompgh
09-14-2005, 05:39 PM
Since this is the first time I am looking into this resort, who is Bob in the lounge? Thanks

Mickey's Sister
09-14-2005, 06:15 PM
Though I haven't yet seen his show...Bob is Bob Jackson, who does a piano-playing, sing-along, comedy, family-friendly show at the River Roost Lounge. He has a regular following of people who attend his shows all the time. I've read many posts where the poster stated that they stopped in at RiverRoost for a drink, snacks, whatever & ended up staying all evening. He also does a special show for the holidays. His web address is www.yehaabob.com.

Davefrompgh
09-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Wow..that sounds way fun...he sounds like a "clean" John Valby...

Paul in CT
09-14-2005, 07:46 PM
My DW and I just returned from a brief stay at POR in an Oak Manor room. We, too, love the place! We have stayed there several times over the years.

I can answer the coffee question. It is a 4 cup coffee maker and they supply complimentary filter packets of regular and decaf coffee each day. You can bring your own coffee and "Mr. Coffee" size filters (and you should if you want good coffee. ;) )

We also made it to the lounge for the first time and returned each night because of Bob. He played until "last call" at 11:45 PM each night. He was very entertaining and really seems to enjoy his job. We were also impressed with Amy, our server, who was very efficient and attentive. She also sings along with Bob on occasion.

madge
09-14-2005, 08:24 PM
The first set is more geared toward children. He will have the kids come up on the stage and do dances, like the hokey pokey or chicken dance. He will have them dance around the room, etc.

My kids will LOVE this! I saw where there are yummy snacks in the lounge, too!

2 more weeks, 2 more weeks :teeth:

drusso
09-14-2005, 08:55 PM
Davefrompgh: You will have a great time at Bob's show - try to get there. The only time POR & POFQ shared a bus is when it did the Downtown Disney / Typhoon Lagoon run. Transportation was wonderful and not very crowed at all (again end of Aug/early Sept. tends to be a slow period)

As far as room requests go - I don't really know as I've never made any. My first time at POR. I was in and out of the check in / customer service area during my time there and I did notice how accomodating the cast members were trying to be - even saw a few of them pull out a map and work with the guest (no matter how difficult some of them could be). I guess it comes down to how booked the resort is at the time you arrive. Good luck!

dizneycc: Bob's show was always packed and everyone having fun (young & old)

Mickey's Sister: It's non-smoking

LvTinkerbell: Have a wonderful trip - wish I could go back already!

Davefrompgh
09-15-2005, 10:31 AM
thanks Drusso....I appreciate the info....sounds like it will be very fun...

lverga
10-15-2005, 10:54 PM
Does anyone know if they have microwaves in the food court? I can't remember from the last time.

princessjv
10-16-2005, 10:42 AM
Just got back and yes there are microwaves.

lverga
10-23-2005, 08:18 AM
We leave for the airport today at noon. :cool1: Wishing good weather for everyone who's going to be down there. I guess all we can do is wait and see. Port Orleans here we come! :banana:

tnkrbell
10-23-2005, 08:32 AM
I really like the Mansions at POR not a fan of the bayous! THat is so cool staying 16 nights!!! WOW!!! I hope you have a great trip!!
oh and Yes all of Disney hotels are smoke free!!!! So yes the lounge also is smoke free!! I LOVE that!