PDA

View Full Version : Resort Price and Dh

TAKitty
08-27-2005, 04:34 PM
I have our resort booked and my husband really has no idea how much it costs. We usually stay at nice places, but not as expensive as I am spending this December. If I pay in full before we arrive, when we check in will our total for the stay be listed anywhere? Also, when we check out will the total be there? I just need to know how to go about preparing my husband for the shock. I'm hoping that I don't even need to tell him.

zippehsmom
08-27-2005, 04:45 PM
I know that when I checked out, our detailed printout had how much the room was, and listed all the deposits I made.

Good Luck, I have been there before to with DH. Fortunately for me, he lets me handle check in and out :flower:

TAKitty
08-27-2005, 05:32 PM
Fortunately for me, he lets me handle check in and out :flower:

I usually handle check in and out too, but I still want to be prepared.

princesspiglet
08-27-2005, 06:17 PM
I was going to ask the same question! My DH is a tightwad and he would die if he knew how much a room cost! He thinks staying at the Days Inn for $39 a night is too expensive. :rolleyes:

I am hoping to have him keep our DD4 occupied while I do check-in and check out. What he doesn't know won't hurt him ;)

Deb & Bill
08-27-2005, 07:23 PM
They will put the final bill on your door the night before or the morning that you leave. The first item on the bill will be the total cost for the room, but it will indicate that it has been paid already.

tiki23
08-27-2005, 07:38 PM
Ouch, I could see your situation blowing up into epic proportions. I hope your DH doesn't see the bill and have a nuclear meltdown. It's one thing to be a little vague on prices of things I buy - I do that all of the time - but "being vague" (ok..let's cut to the chase, "lying") about a major expense like a Disney vacation, even my mild-mannered husband might reach the red line. :guilty:

He knew up front that our trip was going to be expensive, but I outlined the savings plan, how I was going to cut back on non-critical purchases and showed him the discounts I could find....then I showed him the package price, LOL!

When I explained that with the dining plan we could eat better (rather than all fast food, skimping on desserts, drinks, etc.) even though it might cost a bit more, he was all for it!

For me, I'd tell the truth; I wouldn't want my last memory at WDW to be my husband ready to lynch me from the Tree Of Life. ;)

Poohsmommi
08-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Easy - contact Disney beforehand. Tell them this trip is a gift for your husband and you do not, under any circumstances, want him to know how much this is costing. After you pay in full, contact them again and MAKE SURE they have that notation in their system. They will accomodate you.

NCombs
08-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Easy - contact Disney beforehand. Tell them this trip is a gift for your husband and you do not, under any circumstances, want him to know how much this is costing. After you pay in full, contact them again and MAKE SURE they have that notation in their system. They will accomodate you.

Honestly, I have seen way to many posts on this board to count on this being reliable. There have been lots of people who don't want a family member to see something (usually because it is a surprise) and of course something goes wrong. Documents get mailed to the wrong address, etc. I doubt the people who slip the bills under the door are going to know that this could screw something up.

Of course, my recommendation is to not and try and hide it anyway but that's just me and might not work for everyone.

Candicno
08-27-2005, 09:29 PM
Wow, I am shocked by some of the responses. :earseek:

I'm not trying to be judgemental, but I don't think its the best move to try and hide things from your DH. What if he does find out, and it ruins your entire vacation? Do you have children? If so, do you want to risk having a huge blow up in front of them on what should be a wonderful memory?

I could never imagine hiding something like that from your spouse. If you continue to hide it, the shock is going to be way more to him than any hotel bill. There's a level of distrust there that can erode your entire relationship.

Playing devils advocate here, but is there a reason that your DH wouldn't approve such an expensive resort? Do you really NEED an expensive place? Do you really HAVE that much more disposible income to spend? Have you even talked to him about what "expensive" is?

I think you need to sit down with DH now and have a heart to heart talk with him...

Micca
08-28-2005, 05:48 AM
I see you stayed at YC last December, did he have a problem with that? Will it be more expensive than that last trip? Surely he didn't think he was at a budget hotel when you stayed there? Good luck with whatever you decide to do :earsboy:

minnie61650
08-28-2005, 06:48 AM
Honestly, I have seen way to many posts on this board to count on this being reliable. There have been lots of people who don't want a family member to see something (usually because it is a surprise) and of course something goes wrong. Documents get mailed to the wrong address, etc. I doubt the people who slip the bills under the door are going to know that this could screw something up.

Of course, my recommendation is to not and try and hide it anyway but that's just me and might not work for everyone.

ITA
I have seen those posts.
I recommend the truth also. I would hate having your wonderful vacation ruined because expences were not discussed before hand. Let hubby you know you know it is a lot of money but you carefully concidered all the options and you have budgeted for this trip.
JMHO
Have a great time at Disney!
Linda ::MinnieMo

abacobaby
08-28-2005, 08:13 AM
My Dh does NOT know how much our room costs per night. He only wanted to know what the whole DW part (room/tickets/dining plan) was going to cost. After I booked it, I gave him the total amount and figured he would freak out, but actually he was pretty good about it.

Last year, we did not get our final bill stuck to our door. On check-out morning, I went to the lobby (by myself - I left DH in the room with DD), payed our balance, put the paper in my purse and that was that. He only asked me if everything went alright and I told him, yes, and that everything was paid for.

At home I do all of our accounting work so he NEVER looks at any of that stuff. He's just happy as long as all the bills are paid on time and he doesn't have to worry about it :sunny:

*Fantasia*
08-28-2005, 09:40 AM
If you're paying for it and paying it with your saved money... I don't see the problem. Now if you're spending his money... that's a problem and I surely wouldn't hide that from my husband. Why not just be open with him? Are you afraid he will turn down the hotel you chose? I know I wouldn't enjoy the trip when I am worrying about my husband finding out the bill.

TAKitty
08-28-2005, 09:56 AM
[QUOTE=Candicno]

Playing devils advocate here, but is there a reason that your DH wouldn't approve such an expensive resort? Do you really NEED an expensive place? Do you really HAVE that much more disposible income to spend? Have you even talked to him about what "expensive" is?QUOTE]

In my defense, my husband needs an expensive resort. He has only been to the magic kingdom when we stayed two days at CBR. He hated the resort because it was so spread out. He likes where we are staying and hasn't even asked about the price yet. I have A LOT of disposible income to spend and am fortunate to pick ANY of the resorts. With that said, I want this to be a smooth vacation without him having to worry about anything. I am only asking others what is done so that I can choose to act accordingly.

PS: I think I can handle it from here. Thank you for some of your responses!

Candicno
08-28-2005, 01:16 PM
In my defense, my husband needs an expensive resort. He has only been to the magic kingdom when we stayed two days at CBR. He hated the resort because it was so spread out. He likes where we are staying and hasn't even asked about the price yet. I have A LOT of disposible income to spend and am fortunate to pick ANY of the resorts. With that said, I want this to be a smooth vacation without him having to worry about anything. I am only asking others what is done so that I can choose to act accordingly.

That makes a HUGE difference. From your original post, I can see why others responded the way they did. Since you are trying to make this a "gift of relaxment" for your DH, just INSIST on taking care of everything. Keep the whole thing about HIM-pamper him and let him know you are taking care of everything. If you play this right, he will never want to see that final bill even if it does come under the door.

Start it off right and don't let him have any contact with the hotel process. Take him to get a drink at the bar, or a snack, or something else why you check in.

minnie61650
08-28-2005, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=Candicno]

Playing devils advocate here, but is there a reason that your DH wouldn't approve such an expensive resort? Do you really NEED an expensive place? Do you really HAVE that much more disposible income to spend? Have you even talked to him about what "expensive" is?QUOTE]

PS: I think I can handle it from here. Thank you for some of your responses!
If you have "A LOT of disposible income to spend and am fortunate to pick ANY of the resorts. " then you should not worry if he knows the cost.
We also can afford to stay at any resort we choose. The point is when my husband buys a new ski boat or a snowmobiel or another classic car he tells me how much it costs. When I plan a vacation at the 5 star Hyatt in Bonita Springs,Fl.,the MGM towers in Vegas, The All Stars In WDW, or a cruise I tell him how much it costs. I can totally understand your dh not liking CBR I hated it also. I mean that place has 7 bus stops! We stayed at the CR towers some years ago. I liked seeing the castle from my balcony but really Disney's deluxe hotels are only 3 stars and they are way overpriced as far as service goes. Of course if one does not mind spending that much for a certain view or the location than it is very reasonable. Have you tried All Stars? You might really be surprised. I stayed there one year because my sis was coming and it fit her budget better. I was amazed at how much I enjoyed staying there.

I am 55 years old and travel several times a year. I often stay at 4 star hotels.
So the deluxe resorts do not have anything special for me.
All Star is like being in the heart of the Magic and that is where I want to be.

All Star Music is my favorite.It is quieter because more couples stay there. I love staying at the Clypso building. It is closer to the pool,food court and bus stop.The Calypso pool at ASMU has Donald Duck.

All Star Movies is a favorite for families with young children.
The Fantasia Buildings are the preferred buildings.
The All Star Movie Fantasia pool has Mickey.
It is a great place to stay .
Preschoolers love it.
It is like being in the middle of a Disney Movie Fantasyland.
All Star Movies has pop up fountains now also.
The buses are wonderful.

Bus rides are quite short from the ALL Stars according to PassPorter.com

All Star Buses-CBR buses---CSR buses--PO buses--- Contemporary
MK 20 min---- 20 min-----15 min------10 min---20 min(mono)
Epcot 10 min-- 15 min-----15 min------10 min---15 min
MGM 10 min----12 min-----15 min------15 min---20min
AK 10 min------20min-------10 min----15 min---20 min
DTD 15 min----20 min------35 min-----15 min---35 min

It only takes 10 minutes to get to Epcot,MGM and AK from All Stars.
MK is 20 min away. That's the same amount of time it takes on the monorail from the Contemporary.

The All Star resorts have 1960 rooms each.
Pop has 2,880rooms.
That means more people in the pools,food court and in line waiting for the bus at POP.
When phase 2 of POP is built it will be 2 bus stops at POP and the 2 POPs will have the same # of rooms as the 3 All Stars.

Also All Star is closer to the main road to get to parks and thats why bus rides are shorter from there than from POP.

I have visited WDW more than a dozen times with the 1st time in Oct. 1971. It was brand new. I've stayed at FW, Disney Inn, a few the of Hotels on hotel Blvd., CBR and the towers at the Contemporary. I got to see the MK from my balcony at the Contemporary and I'm happy I got to experience it once. I just prefer the All Star Resorts.
The theaming is pure Disney.
My last 4 visits have been at The All Stars and this fall when we take dd,dsil, and our grandson age 3 we are staying at the All Stars Music. I thought about AKL and even though we can well afford AKL I just wanted Alex to experience the Disney Magic :wizard: at the All Stars on his first visit.
Where else can one find Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse at the pool?
Have a great time at Disney wherever you stay.

TAKitty
08-28-2005, 02:51 PM
[QUOTE=TAKitty]
If you have "A LOT of disposible income to spend and am fortunate to pick ANY of the resorts. " then you should not worry if he knows the cost.

I am really not that worried. My husband has a VERY stressful job. He doesn't care to usually know the "details" of my planning. I just asked a simple question. My husband does not like the value resorts; they are too "cheap" looking for him. Everyone has his or her own opinion and handles his or her planning differently.

PatsGirl
08-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Geez people! TAKitty was asking a question, not looking for opinions on how she should handle her husband or marriage. Far too many opinions are being thrown out here and I can see why she doesn't want to "play" anymore. Now everyone apologize and play nicely :rotfl2:

TAKitty, Good luck in your venture. I think it's nobody's business why you don't want DH to know the cost or just how much $$ you can spend.

Have a great vacation.

Brenda

minnie61650
08-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Geez people! TAKitty was asking a question, not looking for opinions on how she should handle her husband or marriage. Far too many opinions are being thrown out here and I can see why she doesn't want to "play" anymore. Now everyone apologize and play nicely :rotfl2:

TAKitty, Good luck in your venture. I think it's nobody's business why you don't want DH to know the cost or just how much $$ you can spend.

Have a great vacation.

Brenda

Sorry TAkitty.
Please accept my apologies.
I was tring to let you and others know that I do not think of the All Stars as a "cheap hotel" or a Motel 6. They have so much to offer but a lot of people overlook them because they are afraid to try them, Disney's value resorts should not even be called value--- they have so much to offer. JMHO

Enjoy your stay at Disney and take good care of your dh.
You all deserve a fun and relaxing vacation.
Of course I always need a beach vacation after my vaction at Disney.
Just too much to see and do.
Linda