PDA

View Full Version : NY Post's Top 5 Florida hotels

DznyLvr2005
08-26-2005, 09:43 AM
In April the NY Post came out with the top 5 Florida (Not Disney) Hotels. Here's how it broke down... I only typed in what they wrote about Wilderness Lodge because it's NUMBER 1!! :banana:

[I]#1. Disney's Wilderness Lodge
From $199
Lake Buena Vista
Setting: Evoking the grandeur of a National Park Lodge, this isn't Disney's most exclusive hotel, but it's one of Florida's most impressive. For starters, it's 6 story lobby has rough hewn pine tree trunks. Outside there's a working facsimilie of "Old Faithful". Rooms are typical Disney, no bells, no whistles - but most have balconies. The very grown up Artist's Point restaurant has a Pacific Northwest wine list.

#2. Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
From $199

#3 Ritz Carlton Orlando
From $249

#4 Disney's Pop Century
From $77

#5 Celebration Hotel
From $199

Nuts4Disney
08-26-2005, 11:47 AM
:banana: :wizard: :cool1:

Thanks for posting this...I hadn't seen it. :flower:

snowmouse
08-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Interesting....they obviously stayed in a different room at WL than we did last spring. Our visit was quite disappointing. My top picks would look quite different.

littlestar
08-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Ah, way to go Wilderness Lodge! My favorite out of every hotel I have ever stayed at anywhere (including Hawaii). :flower:

Aimeedyan
08-26-2005, 12:22 PM
Good to hear! We loved WL!

dreamangelx
08-26-2005, 12:29 PM
I saw this article right before I went on my honeymoon which was in May. I was so excited to see it being that we chose to stay at the Wilderness Lodge. We had both never been there before but now agree when we go back, we will definitely be staying there again. It was my favorite hotel so far!

cscin3d
08-26-2005, 12:34 PM
I wonder who payed them to put WL at the top? It's not even the best hotel in Disney let alone Florida.

DznyLvr2005
08-26-2005, 12:48 PM
I wonder who payed them to put WL at the top? It's not even the best hotel in Disney let alone Florida.

...to each his own... :earseek:

MAGICinMYHEART
08-26-2005, 01:05 PM

Actually the last large independent survey that the Disney Magazine published before it ended. Ranked the Wilderness Lodge Resort as #1 with guest that have visited and stayed at Walt Disney World.

Viki
08-26-2005, 01:10 PM
I have some friends who can't bring themselves to stay anywhere else!

We liked it, but we're looking forward to trying AKL next year.
:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

DznyLvr2005
08-26-2005, 01:12 PM
Interesting....they obviously stayed in a different room at WL than we did last spring. Our visit was quite disappointing. My top picks would look quite different.

What didn't you like about it?

cscin3d
08-26-2005, 01:14 PM
For me it would be the tiny rooms and big prices, along with the horrendous transportation.

DznyLvr2005
08-26-2005, 01:16 PM
I should have mentioned what the Post had said about the honorable mentions....
They are:

Grand Floridian
From $349 (That's like 1/3 my rent for the month!LOL)

Polynesian
From $299

EO Inn Orlando
From $129

Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
From $250

scanne
08-26-2005, 02:09 PM
DznyLvr2005,

Hey! Don't let the WL "bashers" get you down! We love the WL, even though the rooms are smaller than most of the other WDW deluxes. But it's the overall THEME and FEELING we get when we stay there that makes us want to return again and again!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon! We'll be at the WL until 10/4......maybe we'll see you? It will be me, DH, DS3 and DD1.

Have a wonderful wedding and a magical honeymoon!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anne

All Aboard
08-26-2005, 02:14 PM
It says "Florida", but isn't it really "Central Florida" that's the focus? Because if not, they've completely lost their minds.

Pop Century??? Top 5??? Hello!

stinkerbelle
08-26-2005, 02:17 PM
AKL got robbed!

I mean...come on...which would you rather see...and "old faithful" geyser? Or Giraffe and zebra and kudu outside your room?

(and yes - I've stayed at both AKL and WL)

eeyore45
08-26-2005, 02:23 PM
It says "Florida", but isn't it really "Central Florida" that's the focus? Because if not, they've completely lost their minds.

This is what I was thinking!! (I've not been to the Florida Keys, but I've watched the Travel Channel!! :rotfl: )

DznyLvr2005
08-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Since so many people responded, I'll tell you what the Post said about #2, AK Lodge.
Setting:
Rivaling the Wilderness Lodge for impressiveness, this homage to Africa borders a "savanah" where 200 species, including giraffes and gazelles, graze. The resorts interior features tapestries and African artwork. Rooms are suprisingly eclectic; parents will be happy to discover Simba's Cubhouse, an evening pit stop for kids 4-12. It'll leave you free for dinner at Jiko and its African inspired world cuisine.
The Room to Book:
Anything with giraffe views
Must do:
Story time in the lobby
Lowdown:
From $199 1,293 rooms 19 Suites

DznyLvr2005
08-26-2005, 02:35 PM
DznyLvr2005,

Hey! Don't let the WL "bashers" get you down! We love the WL, even though the rooms are smaller than most of the other WDW deluxes. But it's the overall THEME and FEELING we get when we stay there that makes us want to return again and again!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon! We'll be at the WL until 10/4......maybe we'll see you? It will be me, DH, DS3 and DD1.

Have a wonderful wedding and a magical honeymoon!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anne

Thanks!! I'll be in one of the honeymoon suites facing the castle (there is only 2 on the castle side, 2 courtyard side) We'll hopefully be wearing our wedding ears! I can't wait!!!!! it's sooooo close, but yet sooo far away!!

Sandy22
08-26-2005, 03:34 PM
Since so many people responded, I'll tell you what the Post said about #2, AK Lodge.

What did it say about POP?

Nuts4Disney
08-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Thanks!! I'll be in one of the honeymoon suites facing the castle (there is only 2 on the castle side, 2 courtyard side) We'll hopefully be wearing our wedding ears! I can't wait!!!!! it's sooooo close, but yet sooo far away!!

:cheer2: CONGRATS ON YOUR UPCOMING WEDDING & HONEYMOON AT THE WL!!! :wizard: :cheer2:

[I don't know how I missed your sig. it in my first post?! :confused:]

Can you actually book [guarantee] a specific honeymoon suite or is it just a request like the regular room requests?

Thanks & CONGRATS again! :flower:

LakeAriel
08-26-2005, 04:43 PM
Listen guys it's the NEW YORK POST! They are still looking for WMD's! What do you expect? Pop Century number 5? :rotfl:

snowmouse
08-26-2005, 04:52 PM
Dznylvr2005,

We didn't find WL awful, just not up to the standard we've had at other Disney resorts. First there was a mix up with the ressie, which placed us in a temporary room the 1st night and having to move the next am. Not awful, but inconvenient for a short 3 night stay. Both of the rooms we were in were very much in need of cleaning and refurb. Peeling wallpaper, dingy linens and carpet, moldy shower curtain, and even dirty window glass. We also didn't find the boat service very efficient, buses have been faster for us in the past. Roaring forks was chaotic, and difficult to navigate, CMs just seemed OK, no one was really enthusiastic or wishing us a 'magical day'.

Upon returning from our cruise we spent one night at AKL and the comparison was dramatic. We had always wanted to stay at both of these properties, difficult for a family of 5. This particular trip one of our sons stayed behind, so we jumped on the chance to experience Disney as a foursome and the WL portion really lacked the magic we have experienced at several other resorts. We found POR to be a much nicer resort, and at far less the price. I guess we just had been hoping to be wowed. We were at AKL, but not at WL.

DznyLvr2005
08-26-2005, 05:01 PM
Dznylvr2005,

We didn't find WL awful, just not up to the standard we've had at other Disney resorts. First there was a mix up with the ressie, which placed us in a temporary room the 1st night and having to move the next am. Not awful, but inconvenient for a short 3 night stay. Both of the rooms we were in were very much in need of cleaning and refurb. Peeling wallpaper, dingy linens and carpet, moldy shower curtain, and even dirty window glass. We also didn't find the boat service very efficient, buses have been faster for us in the past. Roaring forks was chaotic, and difficult to navigate, CMs just seemed OK, no one was really enthusiastic or wishing us a 'magical day'.

Upon returning from our cruise we spent one night at AKL and the comparison was dramatic. We had always wanted to stay at both of these properties, difficult for a family of 5. This particular trip one of our sons stayed behind, so we jumped on the chance to experience Disney as a foursome and the WL portion really lacked the magic we have experienced at several other resorts. We found POR to be a much nicer resort, and at far less the price. I guess we just had been hoping to be wowed. We were at AKL, but not at WL.

That's probably cuz AK lodge is newer.. Give it a few years and the wallpaper will be peeling as well!! Have you seen Poly before they re-did some rooms. Disasters! But it's all good now. I mostly love the lodge for the atmosphere, the rooms come after :)

DznyLvr2005
08-26-2005, 05:05 PM
:cheer2: CONGRATS ON YOUR UPCOMING WEDDING & HONEYMOON AT THE WL!!! :wizard: :cheer2:

[I don't know how I missed your sig. it in my first post?! :confused:]

Can you actually book [guarantee] a specific honeymoon suite or is it just a request like the regular room requests?

Thanks & CONGRATS again! :flower:

Well HOPEFULLY we will be getting the honeymoon suite. It came out to like $4??.00. It was more that the reg concierge rooms, so we better be getting that. We paid for it!! I requested the castle side. We made our ressies in January so hopefully we were one of the first to request that and get it!

Viki
08-26-2005, 05:13 PM

How in the "world"
:rotfl2: could Pop outrate AKL? They must have factored value into the equation for some of them. :confused3

Nuts4Disney
08-26-2005, 05:47 PM
Well HOPEFULLY we will be getting the honeymoon suite. It came out to like $4??.00. It was more that the reg concierge rooms, so we better be getting that. We paid for it!! I requested the castle side. We made our ressies in January so hopefully we were one of the first to request that and get it!

Hi Dznylvr2005: :bride:

Oh, I don't think I was clear w/my question. I know you booked & paid for a suite. What I meant was do you just book *a* honeymoon suite, or do you book a *particular* honeymoon suite, like say, the "Walt Disney Suite," "the Yosemite Suite," "the Bridal Suite," etc. [Just making these names up folks, I don't know the names of the suites, or even if they all have names].

I understand from your reply that the *view* is by request. I think I got it now. We're not booking a suite anyway, so I guess we're just living vicariously through you. LOL. Thanks for your reply. :)

In honor of your upcoming Honeymoon...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*Pixie Dust~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*

for you Honeymoon Suite w/a CASTLE VIEW! :wizard:

Stitches
08-26-2005, 07:08 PM
Listen guys it the NEW YORK POST! They are still looking for WMD's! What do you expect? Pop Century number 5? :rotfl:

Good one! :rotfl2:

Jen D
08-26-2005, 07:08 PM
How in the "world"
:rotfl2: could Pop outrate AKL? They must have factored value into the equation for some of them. :confused3

There must be a bang for your buck factor... best hotels not necessarily being the grandest hotels with the most amenities, but rating the hotel as a whole package, Pop being their best example of a great place for people where people on a tight budget can go and still enjoy good service, theming, great pools, transportation, without the cost of the amenities of a four star hotel.

That's my guess anyway. I think it's kind of nice they included a place with down-to-earth prices.

CarolA
08-26-2005, 08:15 PM
Very interesting that the GF didn't make the list....

disneyobessed
08-26-2005, 08:40 PM
Nice to see WL on top. we just got back a few weeks ago and we LOVED IT. There was even a smell about that place that made you feel like you were in a lodge. You could smell faint campfire smell and we couldnt figure out where it came from! the place is the best!

DznyLvr2005
08-26-2005, 09:10 PM
Nice to see WL on top. we just got back a few weeks ago and we LOVED IT. There was even a smell about that place that made you feel like you were in a lodge. You could smell faint campfire smell and we couldnt figure out where it came from! the place is the best!

The smell was probably coming from the smoke house in the back :earboy2:

minijeanie
08-26-2005, 09:21 PM
how in the world could anyone rate pop century even in the top 100 in florida...with the exception if they went for price..........

imho pop in just a normal motel with plastic icons attached to the buildings.
nothing more,nothing less...
only advantage is bus service to parks

Mykelogan
08-26-2005, 09:39 PM
I was pleasantly surprised to see Pop on there. I think it is a great place! :goodvibes I don't think it is better than the deluxes of course, but for what it is, I have really enjoyed it.

Mike

skiwee1
08-26-2005, 10:16 PM
I think these were all based on a combo of themeing and price. The deluxe resorts listed are the cheapest and therefore many think that makes it a bargain to get that themeing at such a cheap price. If they took the price factor out of it I doubt any of the ones listed would have made the list at all.

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
08-27-2005, 08:48 AM
What is the EO Inn Orlando????

I haven't stayed at WL, but we have visited my parents when they stayed there. They loved it! And it is spectacularly themed. My two problems with the WL are the rooms relatively small size and its location/transportation. If you can deal with those things, this is the resort for you.

DznyLvr2005
08-27-2005, 09:41 AM
I think these were all based on a combo of themeing and price. The deluxe resorts listed are the cheapest and therefore many think that makes it a bargain to get that themeing at such a cheap price. If they took the price factor out of it I doubt any of the ones listed would have made the list at all.

Yeah but still I'd rather stay at the WL than say Floridian. The Floridian doesn't do anything for me.

I think the list is probably the "most popular" in Florida. Maybe they did a count and found that that is the order ??? :confused3

foxtrotter
08-27-2005, 09:45 AM
I was pleasantly surprised to see Pop on there. I think it is a great place! :goodvibes I don't think it is better than the deluxes of course, but for what it is, I have really enjoyed it.

Mike

Same here! Nice to see it make the list even if others sniff at the very idea... :rotfl2:

Ladyhawke10
08-27-2005, 11:46 AM
I think the list is probably the "most popular" in Florida. Maybe they did a count and found that that is the order ??? :confused3

I agree...I don't think I've ever seen a poll that didn't include WL as a favorite somewhere near the top...from Deb's page to Disney mag. It always seems to be up in the top three somewhere. WL has a lot of loyal fans! :goodvibes

jarestel
08-27-2005, 02:28 PM
These types of rankings are always subjective anyway. No need to get defensive if one's favorite resort isn't on the list and start tearing down those that are. Let's face it, the only "most popular hotel" list that counts is your own.

NYRN
08-27-2005, 03:22 PM
I am thrilled to see WL on top! :)

Ladyhawke10
08-27-2005, 03:40 PM
These types of rankings are always subjective anyway. No need to get defensive if one's favorite resort isn't on the list and start tearing down those that are. Let's face it, the only "most popular hotel" list that counts is your own.

Well said! My list would be:

Grand Floridian
Cheeca Lodge and Spa (Islamorada)
Fairmont Turnberry Isle Resort and Spa (Miami)
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Boardwalk Inn

But I haven't stayed at ALL of the resorts in Florida.... :flower:

DznyLvr2005
08-27-2005, 05:53 PM
What did it say about POP?

I left the paper clipping at work, so I'll write it in Monday. :wave:

ducklite
08-27-2005, 06:35 PM
Very interesting that the GF didn't make the list....

From my expereiences there, not interesting at all. That's a hotel that isn't all what it's cracked up to be...

Anne

disneyobessed
08-27-2005, 07:32 PM
What is the EO Inn Orlando????

I haven't stayed at WL, but we have visited my parents when they stayed there. They loved it! And it is spectacularly themed. My two problems with the WL are the rooms relatively small size and its location/transportation. If you can deal with those things, this is the resort for you.

If Magic Kingdom is the most popular park in your family the WL is great for location unless you are used to staying on the monerail. we never waited more than 10 minutes and that is stretching it for the boat to take us over there. I will go back there in a heartbeat. I really want to try to Beach Club first though!

S. C.
08-27-2005, 07:58 PM
AKL got robbed!

I mean...come on...which would you rather see...and "old faithful" geyser? Or Giraffe and zebra and kudu outside your room?

an "old faithful" geyser.

ducklite
08-27-2005, 08:16 PM
AKL got robbed!

I've stayed at both as well, and MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer the AKL to the WL. Part of that is because the WL has a sorry excuse for concerge level. No private chec-in--I can stand at a counter in the lobby, I want to SIT. No comfortable lounge--sorry, but some cafe tables and chairs added as an afterthought doesn't cut it. And while the staff was OK, they are a far cry from the superb CM's at the AKL.

Anne

disneyholic family
08-27-2005, 08:24 PM
we have two favorites: the WL and the GF..

we just stayed at the WL in July and again last week.....loved both visits....the CMs are wonderful and the hotel is perfectly themed...and i love taking the boat to the MK....so very relaxing...

disneyholic family
08-27-2005, 08:28 PM
I've stayed at both as well, and MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer the AKL to the WL. Part of that is because the WL has a sorry excuse for concerge level. No private chec-in--I can stand at a counter in the lobby, I want to SIT. No comfortable lounge--sorry, but some cafe tables and chairs added as an afterthought doesn't cut it. And while the staff was OK, they are a far cry from the superb CM's at the AKL.

Anne

have you seen the recent upgrade of the WL concierge?.....there is a lovely room now and they've added couches and big screen TVs....

but concierge or not, i much prefer the look and theming of the WL over the AKL...
but that's the beauty of disney...something for everyone....one person loves the AKL....another the GF...another the BC....another the WL...etc etc etc..

All Aboard
08-27-2005, 09:39 PM
Grand Floridian
Cheeca Lodge and Spa (Islamorada)
Fairmont Turnberry Isle Resort and Spa (Miami)
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Boardwalk Inn

Here's mine:

The Breakers
Amelia Island Ritz-Carlton
Mandarin Oriental
Ponte Vedra Inn
Cheeca Lodge

DznyLvr2005
08-27-2005, 10:15 PM
See, it's all what appeals to different people. I personally don't like the 'african theme' of AKL. I much rather prefer WL. And yes, they just redid the concierge. http://community.webshots.com/album/412654873dSyMnt
The reason that WL never had a 'real' conceirge was because originally in the planning it wasn't supposed to have one at all. Then it got so popular and people starting asking why they didn't have one, they made one. I personally can not wait until I get to enjoy the new (for the first time in concierge) room!
(Just called DW tonight and added another night onto my honeymoon! woohoo... 11 nights now! yeah! Can't get enough!) :earboy2:

Ladyhawke10
08-27-2005, 11:23 PM
Here's mine:

The Breakers
Amelia Island Ritz-Carlton
Mandarin Oriental
Ponte Vedra Inn
Cheeca Lodge

Awesome, thank you! We'll have to check these out when we plan to tour around Florida again! :banana:

DznyLvr2005
08-29-2005, 01:01 PM
OK So here's what it said abaout the POP.

Setting:
The exuberant 16 month old motel style resort features 60 foot tall pop icons and tie-dyed cheesecake. Motel style rooms though, are magic-free.
The Room to Book:
Standards (away from the pool) are quieter than the rest.
Must Do:
Play pinball in the arcade.
Lowdown:
From $77 2,880 Rooms

Ned Land
08-29-2005, 01:39 PM
Pop Century #5? I would have put it at least at #3 behind Motel 6 and Super 8.

Rounding out my top 5:

4. Red Roof
5. Howard Johnsons

For a serious list:

1. Little Palm Island
2. Mandarin Oriental
3. Ritz Naples
3. Ritz Palm Beach
4. Ritz Amelia
5. Breakers