PDA

View Full Version : Oh My Akl Or Wl??

KAK
08-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Which would be the best for or family of 5? What do you like best about each?

Thanks

KAK

SqueakyMouse
08-25-2005, 07:27 PM
It really depends on your family and what you will enjoy. We have stayed at both WL (last month) and AKL (end of May) recently. While I enjoyed both, I enjoyed AKL far more. It just seems more exotic and definitely more peaceful. While the boat from WL to MK was different, the novelty quickly wore off (rain and heat/humidity sped up the process, too). The rooms at WL also seemed more worn (although I know they are beginning to refurbish them). Our view at WL was supposed to be pretty good -- we could see the fireworks in the distance. However, other than that brief 10-15 minutes at night, it was pretty darn boring. Back to my original statement, my cousin and her family of 4 prefer the lake view at WL. My 3 children, dh, and I prefer seeing the animals at AKL.

crow11ad
08-25-2005, 09:10 PM
I would choose WL. We stayed there in Dec of 04 and it was great. We ate at Bomas at AKL. The animals were great, but unless you are going to get a room where you can see the animals, I would go with WL. Just think, you want to go to MK, just take the boat. The water that spurts every hour on the hour is great. But it is really your choice. But there is nothing like driving up to the WL for the first time.

MissionMouse
08-25-2005, 09:19 PM
Like some responses have already mentioned...it really depends on what you like. If you live out West the WL isn't all that special. Others may want a specific or variety of transporation options from the resort, so AKL may not be for them. They both have unique architecture and the AKL may draw individuals who would like to look out the window of their room and see Africian native animals.

Their both Deluxe resorts holding a high level of services and standards so each are great choices. If time is important to you and you are going to spend the majority of your time at the MK and Epcot then a wise choice would be the WL.

henrylovespooh
08-25-2005, 09:59 PM
We stayed at WL in 2003 and loved it, but then we visited AKL last Spring and wow - I'm dying to stay there now. It seemed so relaxing and more "resorty" than WL.

The big advantage of WL for us was the boat ride to MK. But the buses out of AKL are great too.

Even if you don't get a room where you can view the animals, you can walk out to these beautiful stone balconies with rocking chairs and watch the animals. And they have an indoor fire going and story time outside around a fire pit. They have lists of activities for kids during the day, great restaurants, and just a nice feel to it.

WL has good restaurants too, and the lobby is just breathtaking.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

photonut
08-25-2005, 10:48 PM
We too have stayed at both and we enjoyed both immensely.
Advantage to WL is the boat to MK.
Great family restaurant too called Whispering Canyon Cafe that is like going to a dinner show everytime you eat there. They do lots of fun things to the dinner guests and whether you are included or not it is hilarious and worth a visit to eat there even if you don't stay there.

At AKL there are many activities offered throughout the resort because of the animals. At night they even offer night vision goggles to see some of the animals and my kids loved making it a point to visit with their animal friends in the evenings.

The pool is amazing at AKL....I believe I read somewhere that it is the largest on WDW property....(just a thought...maybe someone can confirm?)

If you are into photography there are many great photo ops at AKL and just truly beautiful decor...

I understand your difficulty in choosing... I would lean towards AKL if I had my choice again.

Good luck and come back and let us know what you decided and how you loved it!

::MickeyMo

ciera321
08-26-2005, 08:17 AM
We've stayed at both and really liked AKL better. It really does depend on individual likes and dislikes....The AKL just feels like you are in a different part of the world - the sights,smells and restaurants just can't bebeat. We had a room on the 5th floor and loved crossing over the lobby bridge everytime we left our room. :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

lmhall2000
08-26-2005, 08:28 AM
Hi KAK! :) Welcome to the Disboards...I replied to your other post asking about five at AKL/WL...don't know if you had subscribed to that one and couldn't find the responses ( I noticed you were new and I did that alot before I figured out how to have them email me when responses hit...on these boards the posts can get lost in a matter of hours! :)) But below where you're posting your post, there's a window called Additional Options...click on the arrown under subscription and highlight that you want to be notified when someone responds to your post.

We have a family of five and you can only stay in a DELUXE room at AKL/WL...those rooms are more expensive than the standard rooms at Polynesian, Contemporary, and Grand Floridian (monorail resorts)...and the standard rooms at all three of the latter are bigger than even the deluxe rooms at AKL/WL...so for the money and size I'd go with Poly...the boys would love the volcano slide or the Contemporary there is an arcade there and it's supposed to be a cool resort..trying it in 2 weeks. We have stayed at AKL...but the rooms were dark and after one day of seeing the animals it just wasn't as appealing as being on the monorail and having the convenience of maximizing park time. I loved being at the MK in 3-5 minutes! :) The rooms at Poly/CR have two queens and a very nice sized day bed...and the rooms are HUGE compared to WL/AKL.

Have a great trip!!

bugbugmom
08-26-2005, 10:18 AM
Never been to WL. However, we really enjoyed AKL..it is so much to see and do. We missed many activities at the resort due to park days. But next visit we plan to have 2 resort days and enjoy more. The pool was great for DD9 and DS4. The pool slide wasn't operating while we were there Sept 2004. Whatever you choose have a great trip!!!!! :banana:

DznyLvr2005
08-26-2005, 10:21 AM
[/FONT]Wilderness Lodge!!