PDA

View Full Version : Just Back from Poly LVG and BWV...any ??

copper68
08-25-2005, 04:19 PM
Ahhhh...back to cutting grass, paying bills, and doing laundry....It's hard getting back to reality after 7 days in the World...

Anyways, we stayed the first 4 nights at Poly LVC (room 1504) and then switched over to BWV for 3 nights (2 bedroom- rooms 1032 and 1034)...First and foremost, the heat was OPPRESSIVE!!!!!!!!....I cannot emphasize how hot it can be in Florida in August...It was brutal at 7am, and sometimes was worse at 10pm with the humidity then it was in the middle of the afternoon...uggghhhh....

We always split our stays between the Poly and the BWV, but I can say without a doubt that we like the BW a lot more...the Poly is nice, but we stay primarily because the kids love the concierge lounge...also, it is convenient to the MK...but overall, we just think the Boardwalk has so much more to offer...It is fun to try two different resorts though...after our 4 days at the Poly, we felt like we were starting a brand new vacation when we switched over to the BWV....

The parks weren't too busy, and the EMH in the evening were great...I have always dreamed of walking around the countries of Epcot after Illuminations, and now you can do so until midnight...I just hope they keep it up!!!

Guess that's about it for now...any questions???

wildernesslodgelover
08-25-2005, 06:35 PM
Tell me more about the BWV! I will be staying there for the first time in Oct (renting points.) Did you hang out at the actual BW? How was the pool? How long of a walk is it to Epcot? Just share your experience there so I can get a "feel" for it! Thanks!

copper68
08-25-2005, 08:51 PM
The BW has a very relaxed, laid back feel to it...One of my favorite things to do is sit on the rocking chairs on the balcony behind the main building...You have a great view of the Y&B Clubs and the lake...

We stayed in a first floor room facing the pool...We also rented points from a DVC owner...We really enjoy the first floor because it allows you to walk right out the glass doors onto the patio...in the mornings we would wake up with our DD (18 months) and take a walk around the pool and she would play in the little children's playground area...it is so peaceful in the morning by the pool...there are the lifeguards walking around and getting things ready for the day...a few early morning sunbathers...so peaceful and quiet...

The pool itself is alot of fun for kids...the water slide is great...The poolside bar (Leaping Libations) has some great mixed drinks...That is one of the perks of being on a first floor room also...you can just walk right out and grab a drink at the bar...

In the past we have stayed in a studio and a one bedroom villa at the BWV...this time around we went with a 2 bedroom...After 6 of us staying in a LVC room at the Poly (5 adults and an infant), the room at the BWV was a godsend...The rooms are large, clean, light and airy...The washer/dryer and refrigerator are great (especially with kids)...There is a general store on the Boardwalk where you can pick up snacks, meals and supplies for your stay...

Our neighbor accompanied us on this trip...he had not been to WDW in 16 years, and was really looking forward to the Poly (where he had stayed as a kid)...While he did like staying at the Poly, he was raving about the rooms at the Boardwalk...He also loved the feel and the views while walking around the actual Boardwalk...

The walk to Epcot is pleasurable...As you walk out onto the Boardwalk, on your right you pass by the restaurants (Flying Fish, Seashore Sweets, Spoodles, ESPN zone)...on your left are some drink stands, a photo booth, and a beautiful view of the Y&B club across Crescent Lake...The walk to Epcot from our room was about 10-12 minutes...we also walked to MGM a few times which was just a little bit longer walk...

In the evenings they have various street performers working along the Boardwalk...There are also some of the midway style games to play (basketball shoot, shoot the water into the clowns mouth etc)...

Are you travelling with kids or is it just adults??...DW and I have done both...it's an excellent resort to do with or without kids...

wildernesslodgelover
08-26-2005, 06:06 AM
Wow! Thanks for such a detailed description! I am getting really excited now! :Pinkbounc

I do not think I will want a first floor room, because I have a standard view studio...don't you agree? From what I understand, standard views pretty much mean I will have a view of the entrance of BWV, I believe. So I do not think it will be helpful to enter and exit from our patio. I actually requested a higher up room, across from the bus stop. Someone told me that if we are high enough and in just the right location, we may see a bit of illuminations.

At first I was a little bummed about our view...we are big "balcony sitters." Love to sip a glass of wine and enjoy a courtyard view at WL...that is pure heaven for me! But I am thrilled to stay at such an incredible resort for such a small amount...renting points has been a godsend. I am especially excited to be so close to Epcot during the F&W FEST!

Yes, we will be there with our DD...she is almost 7. We plan on dining at Blue Zoo one night and letting her stay at Camp Dolphin...she has stayed at Simba's (AKL) and Cub's Den (WL) and she just LOVES the kid's clubs. We are also doing MNSSHP, a Fantasmic Dinner Package, Princess Lunch at Norway, Albatross Cruise at Y&BC, Grand Adventures in Cooking at GF and Party of the Senses at Epcot. Whew! I am getting tired (and my bank account is getting depleted) just thinking about all that! :earseek:

DH and I refuse to go in the summer to WDW. You are right, the heat is ridiculous. We have Fl Res Seasonal Passes because we have no desire to go during peak times. My DD will be missing some school for us to go in Oct and I feel a littel guilty...but not much.

I see your "Beers For Ears" siggy...what is that all about? You should check out our thread on the Them Parks board...The Monorail drink-a-thon. It is a loooong, ongoing thread with some colorful characters on there!

Did you go into the Bellevue lounge at BW at all?

Thanks for your response!

copper68
08-26-2005, 01:00 PM
Hey again,

I agree that the first floor room won't be good with the standard view...however, keep your fingers crossed and maybe you may get an upgrade!!!!!...

Renting points is what we will be doing from now on...I just wish that I had learned about it sooner...

We actually may be going again in October for some of the reasons I read in your post...We have never gone to MNNSHP or the F&W festival...I have been reading about the F&W festival and it sounds exactly what DW and I would love to do...All of those food samplings and beer tastings...mmmmmm

You will love being that close to Epcot and also the Dolphin when you go to Blue Zoo...it's all within walking distance, and after dinner it will be a nice relaxing stroll back along the BW...and the weather will be beautiful at that time...

As I am writing this, I am getting closer and closer to starting to plan a trip for us to go in Oct or Nov...lol...

The Bellevue Lounge is a nice relaxing place...Many times I have sat in there and had a few beers in the afternoon while the kids take a nap...sometimes I get a beer to go from there and take a walk around the beautifully manicured BW grounds...very relaxing..

I think that your 7 year old will really enjoy staying there...The pool is fun...There are alot of fun things on the BW for parents to do with their kids - playing some of those midway games and winning stuffed animals...squeezing into a photo booth and taking a group picture...renting one of the surrey bikes and the whole family riding around the lake...you should also keep an eye out for the street performers, as they like to pick children out of the crowd to participate...

Beers for Ears goes back a few years...it was a huge grass roots effort to get beer served in the Polynesian Concierge Lounge...I don't know if we had any impact, but I do know that I can now get a cold heineken for free in the lounge...lol...

I am going to go and check out the monorail drink-a-thon now...lol...

wildernesslodgelover
08-27-2005, 06:46 AM
Fron what I have been told, I am pretty sure you do NOT get upgrades when using DVC points, whether you are an owner or a renter. I have heard that from several sources.

YES...I agree, renting points is the ONLY way to go...IF you can travel on weekdays! It is not cost effective to rent points on weekends. That is why we are moving over to POFQ on Fri and Sat night! But from now on, I am going to try to rent points. We did it for the first time in May...stayed at OKW...our first trip without DD. It was to celebrate our anniversary. It was great to have a huge room, and still have plenty of money to do some nice dinners.

I am looking forward to having a quiet drink at the Bellevue Lounge!

Hope you can get your trip in Oct or Nov squared away! I have a little game I play...I am ALWAYS planning my NEXT WDW trip. After Oct we will not go again until the spring, but I will start planning it as soon as we get back.

You should be very proud you made an effort to get beer served at the Poly CL! There are some folks on the LOTW (Lushes Of The World) thread (monorail drink-a-thon) that will applaud you for that one!

Have a great day!

NCombs
08-27-2005, 07:20 AM
We are doing the same thing you did in June. We are staying at the BWV (1 bedroom) on the first part of the trip and then moving over to the Polynesian.

We were originally booked at the Contemporary Tower but I could get the 1 bedroom at BWV at a much cheaper rate by renting points than what I was paying for the CR.

Just a few questions-

1) Did you walk to MGM? If so, how was the walk?

2) I know you stayed in Hawaii at the Poly but what other buildings would you recommend? We are staying garden view. The kids are 13, 10 and 6. Right now I'm leaning towards requesting Samoa or Fiji facing the marina but I'm not sure yet. There seems to be a lot of good choices.

3) Our villa at the BWV is a standard view. I'm also struggling with this room request. I'm not sure if I should request to be closer to the main entrance/pool or closer to MGM or really what to request at all. Any suggestions?

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed the BWV. It sounds great. We stayed at BC last year and the area is just beautiful and the location is great. I'm very excited to have 3 nights close to Epcot and MGM and then be able to switch to the Poly and be so close to the MK. I think I will be spoiled after renting points and we will probably end up going the same route in the future.

hygienejean
08-27-2005, 10:28 AM
Hi
I just had to chirp in....I too LOVE the BWV's! We are renters as well. I have styed in a 2 bedroom and a grand villa (fabulous! BTW) This year (10/05) we are staying at the Poly as part of the cruise package. I have stayed there before and loved it....of course this is before I ever set foot at the Boardwalk. Although I know I will enjoy the Poly, part of me knows I'll be wishing I was at the Boardwalk... Ahhhh There is always next year......

Glad to hear you had so much fun!

Sammie
08-27-2005, 12:16 PM
I agree about EMH at Epcot, it was one of our favorite nights. :flower:

CaliforniaDreaming
08-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Welcome back! Sounds like you had some great rooms!

copper68
08-27-2005, 01:48 PM
wildernesslodgelover

When you get back, I want to hear about the F&W festival and Blue Zoo...Make sure when you have that drink in the Bellevue, you have one for me also!!!!!...lol...

NCombs

I can promise that you will love the BWV room more than the CR...

At the Poly, I would personally prefer a room that is close to the main bldg...We like to be close to the monorail to MK, as well as the volcano pool and the restaurants and shops in the main bldg...I have never stayed in any of the other buildings except hawaii, so I can't really recommend a view or room...There really isn't a bad view though...the GV rooms have beautiful views of lush tropical gradens...again, we like the first floor rooms so that we can wake up in the morning and take a stroll out with our DD and see the ducks and other and other animals and birds...I think that either of your choices would be great...

At the BWV, the further away from the main building, the closer you are to MGM...but at the same point, you're further away from Epcot and the actual BW...I think the Standard view rooms are the ones that face the parking lot right??..not the ones that face even the quiet pool??...again, I would have to say we would stay close to the main building, near the elevators by the lobby...that way you're in the center of everything...it will be a short walk out onto the BW, to get to the general store (we love the general store), and Epcot...and if you take the elevator down to the first floor and walk out past the Luna Park pool, you'll be at MGM in 15 minutes...and the bus stop will be a short walk also...

We really did have a great time at the BW...on the first morning that we woke up after switching over from the Poly, and we were out walking around Luna park pool with DD, DW and I both were just saying how much more we enjoy it there...and renting points will be our way to go from now on!!!

I just feel bad that you have to wait all the way until next June...lol...

hygienejean

How was the Grand Villa??...I would love to have all of our family there someday and go with that...was it worth it??

Sammie

The EMH at Epcot was the best of all the parks...I was just getting worried because it got really quiet around WS the closer it go to midnight...worries me cause if not enough people take advantage of it, they may cut back on the hours at Epcot, or stop doing it all together...uggghhhh...get the word out....people need to get out to WS for the EMH!!!!!!!!!!

wildernesslodgelover
08-27-2005, 03:08 PM
copper-I promise to raise a glass in your honor! My DH will probably enjoy one of their single malt scotches they are known for (I read that on another thread, I think) and I will have my usual dirty martini! YUM! they always taste better at WDW!

Full trip report when I return...promise! :banana:

hygienejean
08-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Hi Copper68,

We absolutely LOVED the grand villa. We kept joking that this is probably where Oprah would stay if she didn't do the GF! :teeth:

We had 10 people in our group. We had the one floor type of villa. It was on the top floor right over the general store. We sat on the blacony every morning and night. We could see Illuminations nightly and we could also see Wishes over at MK....(look right over the Y&BC)

The living/dining/kitchen area was HUGE! Lots of room for all of us to kick back and relax. We had a large laundry room as well...great place to put bags etc. I think I have read that there is 2100 to 2200 sq feet in the villa.

I think it was about 587 points to rent for the week. At 10.00 per point, I think each family kicked in something like $1960 for the week. (We travelled with 3 families) Divided nightly by each family, it was about $271 per night. I didn't think it was that bad considering that I am paying 354.00 AAA rate at the Poly for my extra nights that are not on the package. Seems like a much better value to me! :banana:

We are doing another GV next year at BWV's. I have already found someone who will rent me the amount of points needed and they will call every day to make sure we get the ressie.

Can't wait for that one but we are looking forwrd to our next trip in about 6 weeks! Yay! :Pinkbounc

~Jean

disneybride16
08-27-2005, 06:02 PM
I'm hoping for some advice...we will be staying in a 1 bedroom villa at the BWV in dec. For the people who have stayed in these... any favorite room#? Is it possible to get a boardwalk view with 1 bedroom villas. Someone told me that of course the dvc members get their rooms 1st but is there even a 1 bedroom with a boardwalk view?

Sammie
08-27-2005, 06:09 PM
wildernesslodgelover

When you get back, I want to hear about the F&W festival and Blue Zoo...Make sure when you have that drink in the Bellevue, you have one for me also!!!!!...lol...

NCombs

I can promise that you will love the BWV room more than the CR...

At the Poly, I would personally prefer a room that is close to the main bldg...We like to be close to the monorail to MK, as well as the volcano pool and the restaurants and shops in the main bldg...I have never stayed in any of the other buildings except hawaii, so I can't really recommend a view or room...There really isn't a bad view though...the GV rooms have beautiful views of lush tropical gradens...again, we like the first floor rooms so that we can wake up in the morning and take a stroll out with our DD and see the ducks and other and other animals and birds...I think that either of your choices would be great...

At the BWV, the further away from the main building, the closer you are to MGM...but at the same point, you're further away from Epcot and the actual BW...I think the Standard view rooms are the ones that face the parking lot right??..not the ones that face even the quiet pool??...again, I would have to say we would stay close to the main building, near the elevators by the lobby...that way you're in the center of everything...it will be a short walk out onto the BW, to get to the general store (we love the general store), and Epcot...and if you take the elevator down to the first floor and walk out past the Luna Park pool, you'll be at MGM in 15 minutes...and the bus stop will be a short walk also...

We really did have a great time at the BW...on the first morning that we woke up after switching over from the Poly, and we were out walking around Luna park pool with DD, DW and I both were just saying how much more we enjoy it there...and renting points will be our way to go from now on!!!

I just feel bad that you have to wait all the way until next June...lol...

hygienejean

How was the Grand Villa??...I would love to have all of our family there someday and go with that...was it worth it??

Sammie

The EMH at Epcot was the best of all the parks...I was just getting worried because it got really quiet around WS the closer it go to midnight...worries me cause if not enough people take advantage of it, they may cut back on the hours at Epcot, or stop doing it all together...uggghhhh...get the word out....people need to get out to WS for the EMH!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure it was quiet in the WS as everyone was over at Soarin'.

eeyoresmountainpals
08-27-2005, 06:10 PM
Copper68 ~ So glad to hear you had a great time. Would you tell me more about Poly Concierge??? How was the food? Was it plentiful? CMs friendly? Any other comments on POLY? We're heading there in 56 days!

hygienejean
08-27-2005, 06:12 PM
I'm hoping for some advice...we will be staying in a 1 bedroom villa at the BWV in dec. For the people who have stayed in these... any favorite room#? Is it possible to get a boardwalk view with 1 bedroom villas. Someone told me that of course the dvc members get their rooms 1st but is there even a 1 bedroom with a boardwalk view?

hi there!

I can't remember any room numbers but I can tell you that you can get a 1 bedroom with a boardwalk view. I would just ask that a BW view be noted on the ressie....You will love it there! Have fun!

~Jean

disneybride16
08-27-2005, 06:16 PM
Yipee!!!! You just made my day. Thanks for the good news.

maestroralph
08-27-2005, 08:07 PM
[/B]Copper68[B]

Can you happen to tell me whether or not the Polynesian has high speed internet installed yet? I have been hearing reports that it was scheduled for August 15th, 2005, but I have not been able to get confirmation that it has been installed yet.

Thanks!

copper68
08-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner...unfortunately I have been working 7p-7a all weekend...uggghhh...

wildernesslodgelover

Here's a few links for pics of the lounge to get you excited!!!...lol...

http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/bw5.jpg
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/bw6.jpg
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/bw7.jpg
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/bw8.jpg

You can also get a drink and walk out and sit on the balcony which is in the rear of the first pic behind the doors...

hygienejean

The GV sounds great...I have seen pics of it before and it does look huge...I am thinking of going in off season and renting points from like a sun thru thurs...I think it was 74 points a night during off season...can't beat that, especially if splitting with another family or two...

Sammie

You're prob right about Soarin...when we went the line was huge...thank goodness for fastpass..

It was a good ride, but I don't think I would wait an hour for it...

eeyoresmountainpals

The Poly Concierge Lounge is really the only reason we stay at the Poly...The food is delicious and plentiful...

The breakfast offerings are enough to tide us over till lunch...We would all pick at fresh fruit, bagels and pastries each morning before we would go out to the parks...

During the afternoon hours they have out bananas & apples, gummy worms, and different types of cookies (that are delicious)...

at 5pm they would bring out some type of hot appetizer...Wed night we had chicken wings and chinese noodles...thurs we were at the HDDR, but Friday we ate again in the lounge and they had mini fried eggrolls and fried rice...Each night they have something different and it was all very good...They also have bottles of wine between 5p-7p...

The best is between 8p-10p though...some of the best desserts I have ever had, along with different types of cordials...We polished off a bottle or two of Bailey's during our 3 days there...lol...

There are cans of soda out pretty much all day...there are also large glass bottles of water that you can take back to your room if you like...If you have young kids, they will love the little PB&J sandwhiches also...

They also have beer available for the asking in the lounge. We were drinking Heineken and Amstels, but I think they have Miller Lite also...

Chef Dick and the rest of the staff in the lounge are all so nice and friendly...They will get you anything that you ask for, and won't ever take a tip (I tried several times to give a tip for a beer and the woman wouldn't take it)...The concierge staff are also very helpful...pretty much anything you ask for (within reason) they take care of instantly...

We stayed in room 1504 (LVC) because we like the first floor rooms...We would take DD out for a walk onto the Beach each morning, following the ducks around and looking out at Cindy's Castle...Another thing to consider is that the second floor rooms do not have full balconies...And if I remember right from reading on here, the third floor rooms are smoking rooms...We also liked being close to the end of the building with the lounge and the concierge desks...So we always request first floor rooms close to the lounge...but that's just personal preference...

No matter where you are though, I am sure you will love it!!!

maestroralph

We stayed in the Hawaii building and they did have high speed internet, but it was not wireless...there was a connection to the telephone in the room...hopefully that changes though...At the BW, they offer wireless by the pools and in the main lounge and convention hall...

eeyoresmountainpals
08-28-2005, 01:45 PM
copper68 - Thanks so much for the thorough review of Poly concierge. We have stayed there before and have always been pleased. I have read some reports over the past few months that the food wasn't as great as it once was, or as plentiful, and CMs not very pleasant (Have also read post like yours, though, that it is great). So, I was just looking for a little reassurance there! :flower:

We always request 3rd floor because we like being a little higher up. Half the floor is smoking, half not, but I've never been bothered by a smoke smell. (And I can usually pick it up really quickly!)

Thanks again! Can't wait for our trip in 55 days! Just keeping our fingers crossed that the rehab will be all done in Hawaii by then!

maestroralph
08-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Thanks Copper68! I am not sure why, but Disney is telling me that there are no plans to install high speed internet service in the Polynesian, but you tell me there is service (at least in Hawaii). Not sure which building we will be in because my wife has Multiple Sclerosis and we ned a handicap accessible room. Also, not sure why Disney would not want to let people know...oh well, I am just going to hope that it is there when I get there! Thanks again for the information! I really appreciate it!

wildernesslodgelover
08-28-2005, 02:38 PM
:banana: :banana: :banana:

Ok, I am officially EXCITED! WOOHOO!

Thanks for the pics! I didn't realize there is a balcony there! What does it overlook...the actual Boardwalk? Since we will not be "balcony sitters" in our room (due to our standard view) maybe we can be balcony sitters there!

copper68
08-28-2005, 03:08 PM
wildernesslodgelover

Here's another link:

http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/bwalk.jpg

On the map, G represents the Lounge...So you can kind of see the view from there...The balcony runs from like where the G is and up to the building...it's a pretty large balcony...

If you sit and face forward, you will be looking directly across the little courtyard towards the BWV's....You can see the BW itself and a bit of crescent lake, but you kind of have to stand and look at an angle...still very pretty views though...I enjoy just sitting there with a cold beer and people watching...lol...you can just look down and watch people walking to and fro...

If you want to sit out on the Boardwalk, you can always order the drink in a to-go cup and stroll along the balcony, or take a seat on one of the many benches and watch the boats go by...ahhhh...so relaxing...

There is another bar on the Villas side...it's right above Jellyrools and has glass windows looking out over Crescent Lake and the Boardwalk...I have never been inside, but it looks beautiful...I don't even know when it is open, but I would assume in the evenings...When we were there in March I was just taking a stroll around the Hotel and came across it...I think it's on the second floor (maybe 3rd) all the way at the end of the long hallway that leads away from the lobby and towards jellyrolls...I was able to see inside the doors and it's a beautiful looking bar with great views...

I am mad at myself now for not thinking to check it out again when we just went last week...oh well...

Keara'sMom
08-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Thanks so much to all of you--this is so helpful for me! My DH and I are considering renting dvc points for a confirmed ressie at BWV (preferred view studio) for the week of Jan 1-6 (our only child, dd, will turn 9 on Jan 2), and I've been a little anxious about the whole thing. All of your comments are putting my fears to rest, and I think we'll go for it! Any advice on the room location? I think I'd like first floor, especially since I've heard the elevator location can be problematic. Any thoughts?

Thanks again so much!! :sunny:

copper68
08-29-2005, 07:05 AM
Keara'sMom

As I wrote in an earlier post, we really love the first floor rooms...When we go back and stay in a 1 bedroom villa, I am going to request room 1032 (where we just stayed), or rooms 1036, or 1040...They are all on the first floor and face the main pool...

From these rooms, you will be in the center of everything...when you walk down the hall from your room (100 feet maybe), and walk outside, to your right will be the main pool and pool bar...straight ahead will be doors that lead into the main building and the elevators...to the left is a little walkway that leads out to the main courtyard...it's a 2 minute walk from those rooms to the stores and restaurants on the BW...from there it's a short walk to Epcot...if you walk past the main pool, you get onto the walkway to MGM and will be there in 10-15 min...

These are just our personal preferences...I was also tempted to request a BW view room on this past trip...I would love to be able to sit on the balcony overlooking the BW and watch people go by...but no matter where you stay, I am sure you're going to love it!!!

copper68
08-29-2005, 07:18 AM
maestroralph

I emailed the Poly Concierge desk and they let me know that every room in the resort now has high speed internet, not just Hawaii...hope this helps!!!

Keara'sMom
08-29-2005, 12:27 PM
Thanks again for your input!! The room locations sound great--but now my DH says he doesn't want to be on the first floor. :confused3 I'm thinking of requesting BW view now, if I can. Also, my DH is concerned about the villas being "away from the action," and we like to be in the middle of things. Is this the case with BWV? What room locations (preferred studio) should I avoid?

My only hesitation with renting these points is the fact that we will be making a big deposit (paying for the whole thing, that is) with no chance of canceling should something come up. Have you ever had difficulty with this?

Take care!

wildernesslodgelover
08-29-2005, 12:43 PM
Keara's Mom-

If I could just jump in here... I was always nervous about renting points, too. This upcoming trip in Oct will only be the second time. The first time, I rented from a friend. THIS TIME...I am renting from someone off the "rent/trade" board here on the DIS. He had 5 nights reserved at the BWV in Oct...which is hard to get because many people want to stay at Epcot resorts during Food and Wine Fest.

I gave him half right when I accepted, and I paid in full 60 days prior to my trip. He told me if I need to cancel forw hatever reason, he will let me use those points anytime before Aug 2006. So...if for whatever reason I have to cancel, I will have 45 points to do with what I wish. He also said he would try to "re-rent" the points, which is nice of him to offer that.

Anyway, unless there is a huge catastrophe in my life, there is NO CHANCE I am cancelling!

Keara'sMom
08-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Wildernesslodgelover,
Thanks for jumping in! I'll be sure to talk with the guy from whom we're considering renting points (off the rent/trade board, too) about his cancellation policy--yours sounds like a completely reasonable one to me, and it would help me to know that there's an "out" should something unforeseen some up. Hope you have a great trip! :)

hygienejean
08-29-2005, 12:58 PM
I have rented twice and am renting again for 07 and I have put a small deposit down to hold the points (10%). I have done it (rented points) a few different ways but never have I had to pay everything upfront with no cancellation. I have always paid $10 per point as well. Usually it is a 30-50% downpayment with the rest 60 -90 days out. Cancellation can happen up to 90 days out then after that we try to rerent the points...something like that....Hope you can figure out your renting plans... :flower:

tlynk
08-29-2005, 01:14 PM
Do you recall what offerings were at the Poly concierge lounge? I'm curious if it is worth the extra money. :dog2:

copper68
08-29-2005, 01:49 PM
I am just reading over my contract now for the rental...this was the first time we rented points also...it says:

"All cancellation requests must be made in writing. In the event of a written cancellation request by the tenants up to and thru July 11 (our stay at BWV was 8/21-8/24), tenants will be eligible for a 50 percent refund of their deposit, not to exceed $----. After July 11th and up to July 21st tenants will be eligible for a 50 percent refund of the entire amount paid to date, not to exceed $----. Any refunds due the tenant will be mailed within 15 days of cancellation. In the event tenants request a cancellation on or after July 21st, the DVC member will retain the full amount received to date, up to the full payment amount of -----, as the points may not be recoverable for use by the DVC member. All rights to the points that are recoverable will revert back to the DVC member, and the DVC member may use the recoverable points in any manner available to them. Tenants may request in writing and DVC member may consider rescheduling the reservation after July 21, however the DVC member is under no obligation to reschedule the reservation and the tenants should be aware that this might not be possible because of limited room, availability and/or loss of use of the DVC points due to DVC member points usage provisions."

When I spoke with the DVC member I was renting from, we agreed that if there was any cancellation for an emergency or anything, that he would reschedule the time for a future date. However, as I am reading over this cancellation policy, I don't really like the way that it sounds....lol...I am thinking that in the future I will want it to read something more the lines of:

"If there is an emergent need for cancellation by the tenant, the DVC member shall make every effort to reschedule the reservation at a later time..."...I would even agree to cover any expenses incurred, and if they cannot reschedule for whatever reason, I can accept that.

I think I left myself kind of open there, because it basically left the ball in his court if I had to cancel for whatever reason. Yes, he may have helped me out and rescheduled, but according to the contract he was under no obligation to do so.

Just make sure that you have all of this in writing, including the cancellation policy.

copper68
08-29-2005, 02:02 PM
tlynk

Between 8a-10a each morning there would be a large bowl of fresh cut fruit, another bowl with bagels, and another with pastries. There is a coffee station, as well as different juices and milk. There are also different types of
cold cereal.

In the afternoon they have out different types of cookies (choc chip, oatmeal raisin etc) as well as juices and sodas.

5p-7p they have something different each night. Some of the offerings we had: Wed night- chicken wings and asian noodles, Fri- mini eggrolls with fried rice, Saturday- bbq pork sandwhiches and potato salad. There is enough food that you can make it a meal out of it. We would usually eat a plate or two early, and then go out for the evening, and eat a late dinner or snack.

8p-10p they have different kinds of deserts and also cordials (Bailey's, Kahlua etc)...this was one of our fav parts of the trip.

I definitely think the price is worth it. I think it's about an extra 100 bucks a night to stay concierge. Breakfast alone for 5 of us would've been 30 bucks every day at least. Add in the cost of snacks and drinks. Then the dinner and desert offerings. Also, you can get beer anytime throughout the day. Sometimes we would sit in the lounge in the afternoon and play games and have a few beers.

But more than just the financial aspect, the convenience of having that all there throughout the day makes it worth it...and the kids love it also...

We wouldn't stay at the Poly if we didn't stay concierge.

tlynk
08-29-2005, 03:12 PM
tlynk

But more than just the financial aspect, the convenience of having that all there throughout the day makes it worth it...and the kids love it also...

We wouldn't stay at the Poly if we didn't stay concierge.

Thank you for your reply! :sunny: I've been looking into different resorts for awhile now, and it looks like this would be the way to go for us. For a family of five we could splurge on one big meal a day and snack the rest. I'm glad you had a nice time. Thanks again! :)

maestroralph
09-02-2005, 08:56 PM
maestroralph

I emailed the Poly Concierge desk and they let me know that every room in the resort now has high speed internet, not just Hawaii...hope this helps!!!
Copper68

Thank you so much for the information about the Polynesian and the high speed internet! Now I am really starting to get excited about our trip at the end of October! Thanks again and thank you for the great report and info!