PDA

View Full Version : Swan and Dolphin - Am I the only one that cringes when they see them?

edingerc
08-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Sorry, I just never have liked the looks of the outsides of these two hotels. They kind of remind me of Der Wienerschnizel restaurants.

ep4244
08-25-2005, 02:32 PM
on our recent trip, while staying at BWI, everytime our bus stopped, my DD's started calling it the Swan and Ugly Fish Hotel (whoever thought that was a dolphin was smoking something funny)

Jennasis
08-25-2005, 02:33 PM
Stayed at the Swan shortly after it opened (while Dolphin was still unfinished) and the decor was a bit over-the-top for me. We had a good chuckle over it and enjoyed the hotel, but it does hurt my eyes sometimes. I often wondered who designed the two Dolphin Icons as they look like large fish and nothing like Dolphins!

Pkdcoastrs
08-25-2005, 02:38 PM
Stayed at the Swan shortly after it opened (while Dolphin was still unfinished) and the decor was a bit over-the-top for me. We had a good chuckle over it and enjoyed the hotel, but it does hurt my eyes sometimes. I often wondered who designed the two Dolphin Icons as they look like large fish and nothing like Dolphins!

I have stayed at the Dolphin and it near impossible to express how amazing of a resort it is. By far it blows MANY of the "Disney" owned hotels out of the water. It felt more Disney at the Dolphin half the time then when we stayed at the Grand Floridian.

To each his own though, to me they are amazing pieces of architecture that house a great resort. The inteior of the resorts look so nice and really make you feel welcome. Let's see .... $99 to stay at the Dolphin or Pop Century :cool1: :rotfl:

Sammy
08-25-2005, 02:41 PM
on our recent trip, while staying at BWI, everytime our bus stopped, my DD's started calling it the Swan and Ugly Fish Hotel (whoever thought that was a dolphin was smoking something funny)

The Dolphins depicted on the hotel are not the mammals everyone is familiar with. They are dolphin fish ....see link:

http://www.indian-river.fl.us/fishing/fish/dolphin.html

And I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine happens to be that the Dolphin may be a little eccentric looking on the outside, but you should see it on the inside. It is really beautiful. I love the waterfalls in the walls of the entry hallway and the blinking stars in the ceiling. And the atrium lobby with all the twinkling lights in the columns is just wonderful. We had a huge room overlooking Crescent lake and Epcot....could see Illuminations every night. Housekeeping twice per day....turndown service with chocolates on the pillows. 3-acre free-form grotto pool with waterfall and waterslide. Hmmm....all this for $99/night. :rolleyes1 I would return here again in 1/2 a heartbeat. It is also my kids favorite resort so far.

Its a good thing we all have different opinions and like different things or we'd all be at the same hotel at the same time!

Sammy

madge
08-25-2005, 02:43 PM
I have stayed at the Dolphin and it near impossible to express how amazing of a resort it is. By far it blows MANY of the "Disney" owned hotels out of the water. It felt more Disney at the Dolphin half the time then when we stayed at the Grand Floridian.

To each his own though, to me they are amazing pieces of architecture that house a great resort. The inteior of the resorts look so nice and really make you feel welcome. Let's see .... $99 to stay at the Dolphin or Pop Century :cool1: :rotfl:

I agree.

I look at the Swan & Dolphin and see many, many happy memories for my family....:) the buildings, while may not be appealing to some, are only part of the resort. It's a lovely place.

#1hockeymom
08-25-2005, 02:52 PM
I agree.

I look at the Swan & Dolphin and see many, many happy memories for my family....:) the buildings, while may not be appealing to some, are only part of the resort. It's a lovely place.

shhh you're going to let everyone in on our secret!

DisneyMommyMichelle
08-25-2005, 02:55 PM
i think both resorts are absolutely gorgeous and the rooms are great as well!! as another poster said it's not supposed to be the Dolphin that everyone is used to it's a dolphin fish...

DisneyJen0504
08-25-2005, 03:36 PM
Haven't stayed at either the Swan or Dolphin but we did visit on our last trip and loved the resort! I thought the dolphin fish or whatever they are were cute! We hope to stay there in the future!

GoofyGirlnPrincessV
08-25-2005, 03:41 PM
I miss staying there, it is such a wonderful and whimiscal resort. Like another poster said, it is a dolphin fish.

I still wished DH worked for ITT Sheraton (now Starwood), I miss the rates we used to get and the perks of fruitbaskets, champagne in our room, oh and boxes of Godiva.

:flower:

NancyIL
08-25-2005, 03:44 PM
I remember the old days when we stayed at my mom's and went to WDW for the day. As we drove down World Drive to the Magic Kingdom, we passed the Swan and Dolphin, and I remember thinking how cool they looked, and how I'd love to stay there. Well, they've been my resort of choice since 2000!

The_Insider
08-25-2005, 03:48 PM
They are nice resorts if they were in Vegas, but they just donít fit the theme of WDW.

madge
08-25-2005, 03:52 PM
shhh you're going to let everyone in on our secret!

oh, shoot....you're right!

It's a hideous, ugly, shabby old hotel.

And the beds....well, they are uncomfortable. really.

;)

Sammie
08-25-2005, 05:03 PM
If these two hotels were not placed between the BW and the YC, I would find them more appealing, but Yes I do find them an eyesore for the area.

I really wished they had tried to build something similar to the other resorts.

treehugger
08-25-2005, 05:08 PM
Ugly? Hardly! I love the eclectic look of the Swan & Dolphin! The vacations that we have spent in both were amazing. I know that this has nothing to do with the exterior facade, but I could go on and on about the cleanliness, beds, amenities, hassle free upgrades and customer service that blows many Disney resorts away. To me they embody the true spirit of what a deluxe resort should be. If you ever get a chance to stay at them, you'll know what I mean. :sunny:

treehugger
08-25-2005, 05:16 PM
If these two hotels were not placed between the BW and the YC, I would find them more appealing, but Yes I do find them an eyesore for the area.

Actually the Swan and Dolphin were open before the Disney Resorts.

Blondie
08-25-2005, 05:20 PM
The only resort that makes me cringe when I see it is the Contemporary, aka the big toaster in the sky! Yuk!

I'll take the S/D over that any day!

xmelissax
08-25-2005, 05:20 PM
I think the Swan and Dolphin look much nicer than many of the other Disney resorts. I remember being little and driving towards MK and seeing those 2 hotels and being dissapointed we were staying at the Contemporary and not them. I much prefer the Swan and Dolphin

Blondie
08-25-2005, 05:21 PM

I think you mean before the Yacht and Beach Clubs and the Boardwalk, right?

Viki
08-25-2005, 05:25 PM
I've never stayed at either, though we're thinking about the dolphin for a long weekend just to SEE!

But, like other posters, I used to find them distasteful and not at all in keeping with the other Epcot resorts. But my sister, an award-winning interior designer (who lives in Orlando and independently contracts with disney on some projects - the witch's cauldron at DD is her design) introduced me to the concept of ACCENT, like in an accent chair, one piece of furniture which stands out because it's so different and I've applied that concept to just this situation and found it works here too. I've managed to embrace these resorts :) as accent pieces that provide contrasT, thus working to highlight the wonderful qualities of the other resorts.

Hey! It works for me! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

treehugger
08-25-2005, 05:30 PM
I think you mean before the Yacht and Beach Clubs and the Boardwalk, right?

Yup, I did mean before the Epcot area resorts. :goodvibes

Sammie
08-25-2005, 05:30 PM

They opened the same year, 1990 and the design for the Yacht and Beach was certainly known before then. So they could have blended in if they had wanted to.

treehugger
08-25-2005, 05:37 PM
When did they open?

The Swan and Dolphin opened in 1990 the YC/BC opened later that year. It is my understanding that all the plans were reviewed and approved by Disney prior to construction. Below is a link to the history of WDW, the info is found under Epcot Resorts.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/wdwhistory.htm

Sammie
08-25-2005, 05:40 PM
The Swan and Dolphin opened in 1990 the YC/BC opened later that year. It is my understanding that all the plans were reviewed and approved by Disney prior to construction. Below is a link to the history of WDW, the info is found under Epcot Resorts.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/wdwhistory.htm

Your link to the history is not working.

It was my understanding that Westin and Sheraton won the right to build there and the design in court. I know that shortly after they were build Illuminations had to make some adjustments due to the height of the buildings and the Swan and Dolphin had to agree to dim their outside lights during the performance.

I am sure many find them attractive, I am just not one of them.

Blondie
08-25-2005, 05:47 PM
I've never stayed at either, though we're thinking about the dolphin for a long weekend just to SEE!

But, like other posters, I used to find them distasteful and not at all in keeping with the other Epcot resorts. But my sister, an award-winning interior designer (who lives in Orlando and independently contracts with disney on some projects - the witch's cauldron at DD is her design) introduced me to the concept of ACCENT, like in an accent chair, one piece of furniture which stands out because it's so different and I've applied that concept to just this situation and found it works here too. I've managed to embrace these resorts :) as accent pieces that provide contrasT, thus working to highlight the wonderful qualities of the other resorts.

Well put Viki, well put! :sunny: Works just fine for me too!

Sammie
08-25-2005, 05:51 PM

I will try to visualize that concept. :flower:

However the accent piece usually, while being different, does not over power the other furnishings. I guess I find their size more distastful than the outside decor. I am not a fan of large high rise buildings.

treehugger
08-25-2005, 05:57 PM
Sorry Sammie, I tried the link and it worked fine, don't know what's going on. I certainly respect your opinion, not every resort appeals to everyone. Have a magical day!

Sammie
08-25-2005, 05:59 PM
Sorry Sammie, I tried the link and it worked fine, don't know what's going on. I certainly respect your opinion, not every resort appeals to everyone. Have a magical day!

I tried it again, all I get is script. I will keep trying as I would like to read the info. Thanks.

Sammy
08-25-2005, 06:27 PM
Wow...thanks for that link, treehugger! Looks like some great reading!

DisneyFans4
08-25-2005, 06:46 PM
We just got back from our second year in a row stay at the Swan and the hotel is absolutely beautiful!! First off, the heavenly beds are wonderful and in all the Disney resorts I have stayed at they are the only beds I ever had a good night's sleep in and very clean. I can recall many beds on Disney property with all kinds of stains and didn't even want to sleep in them.
I have also been treated better at the Swan than I have on Disney property because lately some CM's need lessons on how to treat guests.
Both the Swan and Dolphin are beautiful hotels and their restaurants are out of this world.
As the old saying goes...don't judge a book by it's cover...

Blondie
08-25-2005, 06:57 PM
Your link to the history is not working.

The link opened okay for me. It's a great piece by the way. I've included only what it had to say about the Epcot resorts.

THE EPCOT RESORTS

Plans to add hotels around EPCOT Center had been on the drawing boards for some time. In fact, Walt always intended to build his resorts near the theme parks for Guestsí convenience. First workers dug the 25-acre Crescent Lake to be encircled by hotels. At one time, a nighttime water show called "Noah's Ark" was planned to take place in the middle of the lake, but never went past design stages. Crescent Lake was attached by water channel to the World Showcase Lagoon to allow resort Guests easy access to EPCOT Center through the International Gateway. This channel would later be connected for boat travel to the Disney-MGM Studios. The first resorts to open around Crescent Lake were the Walt Disney World Swan and Walt Disney World Dolphin in 1990. Not owned or operated by the Disney company, these two hotels were designed by architect Michael Graves. Their eye-catching architecture features oversized geometric buildings and windows, and five-story statues of swans and dolphins on the rooftops. Next door came Disney's Yacht and Beach Club Resorts, both opening about the same time in late 1990. In this Disney resort "first," the two hotels share similar themes and are physically connected together by a common recreation area, health club, and restaurant. Disney's Yacht Club Resort is styled after New England's summer cottages of the 1880s. The nautical theme is unmistakable, with oak wood floors, porthole-styled windows, antique chandeliers, and brass fixtures. Disney's Beach Club Resort returns to the seaside hotels of the 1870s. This casual setting features ceiling fans, wicker furniture, and seashell motifs. The unique swimming area between them is called Stormalong Bay. It features a winding, sand-bottom lagoon and a 150-foot water slide originating from a shipwreck on the beach of Crescent Lake.

UrsulasShadow
08-25-2005, 07:40 PM
I think the Swan/Dolphin are striking, and beautiful. Very dramatic. And the Dolphin depicted looks to me like the very common ancient Chinese figure of a dolphin (not a fish, just much more stylized, like the foo dogs and lions and such). Someday I hope to be able to stay in one of these wonderful resorts, for they look so fascinating from the outside.

Boardwalk Tigger
08-25-2005, 09:24 PM
I didn't initally like either the Dolphin or the Swan and thought they might be better in La Vegas. That was BEFORE I stayed there. Now I love them and think they blend in fine. Great hotels. :wizard: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

photonut
08-25-2005, 09:32 PM
The Dolphin is a "gem".
By far the most wonderful hotel we have ever stayed in. AND I mean anywhere.
The rooms are "HUGE" and comfortable. Service is amazing. Beds are so comfy you don't want to get out of them. AND the VIEWS!!!!

Wow....

All I can say is too bad that some of you feel that it is an eyesore because there will just be more room for me the next time I go.

tiki23
08-25-2005, 10:30 PM
How were you able to get the $99 rate?

DisneyGuy
08-25-2005, 10:44 PM
I find them very unique and have stayed at the Swan three times - and think it's wonderful - the rooms have been re-decorated for quite some time and aren't quite as "crazy" as they used to be in the past. I, at times, preffer the Swan to "Disney" owned Hotels.

nem75
08-25-2005, 11:10 PM
i think they look like the evil step-sisters to the Disney resorts. Too big and intimidating for me, but I am glad they keep some others happy and out of my resort. ;)

tiggersmom2
08-25-2005, 11:50 PM
i think they look like the evil step-sisters to the Disney resorts. Too big and intimidating for me, but I am glad they keep some others happy and out of my resort. ;)

Here, here sister!!!! I stayed in the Swan last year and hated it!!!! Yes, I DID think it was ugly but I didn't care how the outside looked. I am just spoiled by my WDW resorts and won't be leaving the magic again!!!!

snels
08-26-2005, 06:14 AM
Hi,
The biggest reason we will stay at the Swan (if we get a discount) is the location.
I am not crazy about the decor, but I love being so close to Epcot and the Studios.
Sandy :flower:

mom2rb
08-26-2005, 07:36 AM
They are nice resorts if they were in Vegas, but they just donít fit the theme of WDW.

This is exactly what DH and I think. If they were in Vegas we would gladly stay there but they just don't look right at DW. Now we are going to eat at Shula's our next trip. So who knows, we may love it when we get inside.

DisneyFans4
08-26-2005, 07:54 AM
I love the Swan and just returned home last Friday and I plan on going there every year. Epcot is our favorite park so I love just being able to walk there whenever I want to go. Having the Boardwalk is also very nice because at night after our return we walk over there and hang out. The views are fantastic from these hotels as well. I can still imagine myself eating breakfast in the club lounge and seeing the Tower of Terror and opening my blinds every morning and seeing Spaceship Earth!
These two hotels have to set themselves apart from the Disney resorts because they want to be different yet be able to use the amenities of Disney which I think is great because it's something they don't have to do.
The Swan is so clean and I can't say that about the Disney resorts. I remember staying on Disney property and the mattresses were stained and spotted and I didn't even want to sleep on them. The carpets were real dirty and smelled and mind you, this is in a deluxe hotel. I even remember during our last stay at the Poly all the bugs by my patio door but I'M sure that was due to all the foilage but still...spray something occasionally to prevent that.
To each his own but please don't knock it until you've tried it. Don't judge something from it's outside appearance.

TurnR@TheMouseHouse
08-26-2005, 08:21 AM
I love the "Big Fishie" :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

I love all the disney resorts because when you are there you feel you are in the place Disney tried to create. The south, PO and POFQ, South Pacific, the Poly, BC, New England, The "Jetson Days", the CR, and so forth. For me the Swan has the laid back, tony feel of a small out of the way metropolitan hotel, The Dophin, well, it's whimsy, fountains, tents, grotto pool and colors make me feel I'm in an enchanting place but I'm not sure "where". That's what I love about it.

It's like being some place very special but you are not sure "where". I walk around the Big Fishie and say to myself, "Where am I"? It does not try to capture a real location in exact replica. It's make believe. I like that! :flower:

Headed for the "Big Fishie" in Oct for F&W...Can't wait.... :banana:

jwfla422
08-26-2005, 08:26 AM
Not only are they our fav resorts but I think they are very "cool" looking-very "art deco"--that's why they stand out so much! When we stay at the Swan I just love looking out the Dolphin like I'm looking at a remarkable "work of art". It just amazes me how big it is and the detail of the building.

The rooms fit right in with the outside decor. I think they're the nicest rooms on property...not to mention the most comfortable with the most amazingly comfortable beds!! :goodvibes

Jennasis
08-26-2005, 08:33 AM
I sort of wish they weren't so tall. Most of the Dsiney resorts sort of blend in with the surroundings and aren't readily seen unless you drive up to them. The Swan and Dolphin are so THERE...in your face. I get the themeing (sort of a whimsical somewhat nautical design). Again let me say, I LOVED our stay there. We had an amazing time. I would stay there again definitely, but the theme isn't my favorite and the design still is (to me) a bit whacky. I especially dislike the large BLACK space on the outside of the Dolphin. It looks like it's unfinished (I do remember all the rumors of what was going to be done with it).

DisneyFans4
08-26-2005, 08:38 AM
I'm sorry but waking up and seeing Spaceship Earth and watching Illuminations from the balcony or sitting in the club lounge eating breakfast and seeing Tower of Terror....how much more Disney feel can you get?? What other "Disney" hotel has those views?

DukeStreetKing
08-26-2005, 09:28 AM
In a few hours I'll be heading out to the Dolphin for the weekend. I love the walkway between the two buildings and watching the shuttle boats pull up. And being so close to the Boardwalk, Epcot and the Studios is a great bonus.

Pkdcoastrs
08-26-2005, 09:30 AM

Sorry....I did a reply before updating the thread and in turn what I wrote was already posted!

Jennasis
08-26-2005, 09:34 AM
When I was staying at the Swan back while the Dolphin was still under construction (the grotto pool wasn't even open yet). There was, I believe a RUMOR about a BOARDWALK type resort area about to break ground! One of those rumors that turned out to be true.

HeatherPage
08-26-2005, 09:42 AM
I love the "Big Fishie"

I love all the disney resorts because when you are there you feel you are in the place Disney tried to create. The south, PO and POFQ, South Pacific, the Poly, BC, New England, The "Jetson Days", the CR, and so forth. For me the Swan has the laid back, tony feel of a small out of the way metropolitan hotel, The Dophin, well, it's whimsy, fountains, tents, grotto pool and colors make me feel I'm in an enchanting place but I'm not sure "where". That's what I love about it.

It's like being some place very special but you are not sure "where". I walk around the Big Fishie and say to myself, "Where am I"? It does not try to capture a real location in exact replica. It's make believe. I like that!

Headed for the "Big Fishie" in Oct for F&W...Can't wait....

Awesome post! You summed it up beautifully :flower:

jwfla422
08-26-2005, 09:57 AM
The BW/BWI was the last resort to be built in the EPCOT resort area. There was just a boardwalk there at one time. There was a tram that ran on the boardwalk from the S/D to the YC/BC that would take you back and forth to EPCOT in addition to the Friendship launch. BW construction began around 94 and I believe it opened in 96.

madge
08-26-2005, 10:04 AM
I'm sorry but waking up and seeing Spaceship Earth and watching Illuminations from the balcony or sitting in the club lounge eating breakfast and seeing Tower of Terror....how much more Disney feel can you get?? What other "Disney" hotel has those views?

and here's the thing....when I'm sitting in my room at the S/D..I'm looking at the beautiful WDW resorts, Epcot, MGM, whatever my view is...and not necessarily at the Swan & Dolphin themselves, LOLOL

DisneyFans4
08-26-2005, 11:47 AM
All those that have stayed at either the Swan or Dolphin know they are truly in the heart of Disney because we've been there. We may not get a Mickey wakeup call or have Disney soaps and toiletries in the bathroom but those views are to die for and I'll take those any day.
I have stayed at all different types of Disney resorts and never had views like I have had and I didn't have to pay extra to get it.

Sammy
08-26-2005, 12:45 PM
... We may not get a Mickey wakeup call or have Disney soaps and toiletries in the bathroom but those views are to die for and I'll take those any day.

Oh, but that oatmeal soap...love it! :lovestruc

DisneyFans4
08-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Oh, but that oatmeal soap...love it!

That's right...how could I forget! I bought a couple of those home with me!!!

paults
08-26-2005, 02:44 PM
we think there :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

Boardwalk Tigger
08-26-2005, 05:18 PM
I read somewhere that the Dolphin would be used if an emergency situation at Disney were to arise. It looks like it would be sounder than some of the other nearby hotels. Anyone else read about this?

::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo

opal
08-26-2005, 05:30 PM
I agree!!! They are ugly and so unDisney!!! I have felt that way the last four times I stayed there. I am going back in November and January just to see if it has gotten any better. :rotfl: I expecially dislike how close it is to MGM and Epcot. Did you know that you can actually hear the other guests screaming when the doors of TOT open while you are at the grotto pool. How annoying. And the fireworks from Epcot keep me awake at night because they light up my room too much. There are too many dining choices, I just can't decide.

sherry8253
08-26-2005, 06:20 PM
I agree!!! They are ugly and so unDisney!!! I have felt that way the last four times I stayed there. I am going back in November and January just to see if it has gotten any better. :rotfl: I expecially dislike how close it is to MGM and Epcot. Did you know that you can actually hear the other guests screaming when the doors of TOT open while you are at the grotto pool. How annoying. And the fireworks from Epcot keep me awake at night because they light up my room too much. There are too many dining choices, I just can't decide.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I LOVE the Dolphin & the Swan. The fish are cute!

Kay7979
08-27-2005, 09:48 AM
Many people who are Disney newbies, don't even know the Swan and Dolphin are NOT WDW hotels. I didn't know it for years. To me, they are part of the familiar landscape in the area, and are distintive, though not themed in the same Disney sort of way. I will probably start a fight here, but if anything is ugly it's the Contemporary Resort. The monorail going through is a very cool idea, but aside from that, it just looks like an angular mass of concrete.

imwithgoofy
08-27-2005, 11:09 AM
oh, shoot....you're right!

It's a hideous, ugly, shabby old hotel.

And the beds....well, they are uncomfortable. really.

;)

hee hee... :banana: that's right more rooms for us :rotfl:

...looking forward to our stay there...the pictures are awesome, the beds look amazing :Pinkbounc

Patio
08-27-2005, 02:39 PM
I was definitely not a fan of the Dolphin or Swan, until, I stayed there.... :teeth: In June 2004 we were making a trip to WDW and all the resorts were priced high. Well, we got the Dolphin for $159 and decided to try it. All I can say is WOW, what an awesome hotel. The rooms are huge, the beds sooo comfy, the pools are awesome, so close to the BW and BC/YC, the boat rides and buses very efficient. My DH says he'd never stay anyplace else. Can you tell we loved it?!?

OT, but, I also felt the same way about Pop until I stayed there in July. It was a fun place. I truly believe all the resorts are special in their own ways. We just need to be open-minded and determined to have fun, no matter what. :sunny:

DisneyFans4
08-27-2005, 03:54 PM
This is why I mentioned in an earlier post not to judge the hotel by what it looks like outside. Despite how some of the posters felt I think the Swan and Dolphin are beautiful hotels and are very different. Inside they are absolutely gorgeous. But...to each his own

PrincessKitty
08-27-2005, 03:55 PM
We think the Dolphin looks like a goldfish! But we absolutely love the Dolphin, including the over-the-top decor. It's a wonderful place to stay for the price--heavenly beds, 7 restaurants from which to choose, beautiful pool area, virtually soundproof rooms, and best of all....easy walking/boating distance to Epcot!

jenks0718
08-27-2005, 06:05 PM
I never stayed at these hotels, but when we drive passed them we all comment on how cool they look. If I were to stay onsite I would give them a go.

Kitty 34
08-27-2005, 06:22 PM
I'm going to cry this November when I see them because I won't be staying there like we usually do. :( I will be with my son's marching band and we're staying at some offsite Comfort Inn. I'm sure I will be cringing when arriving there.

VSL
08-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Hey, this thread has stayed so lovely and civilized!

Anyway, when I first went to WDW I remember seeing S/D and not being fussed on them. I think it was a bit of 'they're not really DISNEY hotels' prejudice! But I've heard that inside the Dolphin, especially, is quite pretty, so I imagine that me and BF will be paying a visit there to check out their Christmas decorations this December (BTW, are we allowed to do that in the S/D? - I understand that we are allowed to 'tour' Disney's hotels but I'm not sure if it applies here!).

#1hockeymom
08-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Yes! You are allowed to tour the Swan/Dolphin, visit their stores and art gallery, and of course, have a gourmet meal or just a light snack! An easy way to visit is to take the friendship boat from MGM. You'll be the first stop! Be sure to walk to the Grotto Pool area. It will take your breath away!

Debbie

*Fantasia*
08-27-2005, 07:22 PM
I'm going to cry this November when I see them because I won't be staying there like we usually do. :( I will be with my son's marching band and we're staying at some offsite Comfort Inn. I'm sure I will be cringing when arriving there.
Can't you add a few days to your trip so you can stay at the SwanDolphin? This way you won't regret being in Orlando and not stepping foot at this resort?

PrincessKitty
08-27-2005, 07:22 PM

Anyway, when I first went to WDW I remember seeing S/D and not being fussed on them. I think it was a bit of 'they're not really DISNEY hotels' prejudice! But I've heard that inside the Dolphin, especially, is quite pretty, so I imagine that me and BF will be paying a visit there to check out their Christmas decorations this December (BTW, are we allowed to do that in the S/D? - I understand that we are allowed to 'tour' Disney's hotels but I'm not sure if it applies here!).

You can defintely tour the Dolphin--they have 7 restaurants and many people are in and out of the hotel just for that reason--you do not have to be staying there.

Blondie
08-27-2005, 10:41 PM

Amazing, isn't it? ;)

Feel free to take a walk through the S/D resorts! It's one of the best ways to get the feel of a place you might want to stay at in the future. :sunny:

Mad4Mickey
08-27-2005, 11:04 PM
I love Michael Graves and the way he designs things So of course I love the way the Swan and Dolphin look but I have never stayed there . I will be staying there in Oct this time though and I will report back about what i thought about the rooms . But I heard they were redone :sunny:

In Luv with Disney
08-27-2005, 11:20 PM
I think every hotel on Disney property each has their own "feel". I didn't know for a few years that they weren't Disney owned and operated hotels! I just thought they were designed differently. They REALLY are nice inside! They are huge and have great restaurants! I actually like the Dolphin Fountain. If you want a good cheap table service meal, that is similar to Beaches and Cream, GO HERE! (minus the wait! you will usually get seated IMMEDIATELY!!!)

As others have said in this thread, the Contemporary is really an eyesore. However, I wouldn't pass up the chance to stay there if someone gave me a deal for $99 a night!

By the way, where is everyone getting the $99 Swan/Dolphin rate?

Muffy
08-28-2005, 02:55 AM
Here is another vote for the S/D! These two elegant resorts are like a welcome home to my family. We can hardly wait to return to the Swan in Feb. The S/D has the best views, the best beds, the best location! :flower:

Danauk
08-28-2005, 04:26 AM
I personally do not care for the look of the inside of the Swan and Dolphin. I have not stayed at the resorts but have been inside both of them and the decor did not really appeal to me. Having said that I do like the location of the resorts and if I could not stay at the other Epcot resorts I would consider staying there.

VSL
08-28-2005, 06:06 AM
Thanks for confirming that I can pop in for a look and some food - I see me and BF going over there for some lunch after a morning at MGM or EPCOT (I'm only going to attempt Beaches and Cream at BC during as off-peak hours as possible!).

My parents never did any type of hotel touring when I went with them a few years back (maybe they thought I'd get bored?), so I've never seen inside them. In fact, the only resort I've seen the inside of (apart from ASMo and AStarSports) is CR (and that was because we were on the monorail!), so I'm actually planning 'hotel touring' into my itinerary!

minnie61650
08-28-2005, 06:21 AM
The Dolphins depicted on the hotel are not the mammals everyone is familiar with. They are dolphin fish ....see link:

http://www.indian-river.fl.us/fishing/fish/dolphin.html

Its a good thing we all have different opinions and like different things or we'd all be at the same hotel at the same time!

Sammy

When I took my sister (in her 50's) a few years ago I told her the hotels were called the Swan and the Dolphin.
She said that dosn't look like a dolphin and I had to expain it was the fish dolphin and not the mammal.
Sometimes when I am dining at a resturant that has dolphin on the menu I overhear people saying that it is horrible and they would never eat FLIPPER! :earseek: :rolleyes2
Linda ::MinnieMo

minnie61650
08-28-2005, 06:50 AM

Awww
I feel for you.
But you will have a great time with the Marching Band.
My dh and were HS Marching Band chaperones in 1999 when dd was a freshman and ds was a senior.
The 24 hour (had to sleep on bus no overnight stay) bus ride from Michigan was a trip to remember! So many excited teens--a lot of whom had never been to Disney. Maching in the MK just before the afternoon parade. I enjoyed seeing them take the wonder of it all in.
It will be a wonderful memory for your family.
I know it was for us.
Have a great time :wizard:
Linda ::MinnieMo

PamNC
08-28-2005, 07:36 AM
Everyone has different taste, but I can't imagine going to Disney and not seeing the majestic Swan and Dolphin hotels. I think they are very magical despite the fact that they aren't Disney-owned. We stayed at the Swan once and it was wonderful. The rooms are more modern and what you might expect from a premium hotel. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Poly, YC/BC, GF....but I consider the S/D part of the eye candy of going to Disney.

PamNC

Superman
08-28-2005, 07:45 AM
Stayed at the Swan on one trip. Hotel was nothing special but the location was outstanding. At the time, we used a government discounted rate $139. Now that I'm retired that rate is no longer available to me and the hotel is was overpriced. Hotel colors are tough to take!

treehugger
08-28-2005, 08:14 AM
Hotel colors are tough to take!

Hey I happen to love pastels, as did Monet! :)

webray
08-28-2005, 08:43 AM

OMG...they are dolphin fish...not the dolphin mammal on to the dolphin..jeesh.

Jennasis
08-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Thanks webray, I'm pretty sure this has been established by several others in a non-sarcastic way but I appreciate your "educating me". I probably should've mentioned that at the time I first saw the hotels (I was maybe 12) and unaware that there was a dolphin-fish. As I grew older and learned of the distinction between the two species I simply assumed the statue must've been the fish Dolphin since the statue looks nothing like a real Dolphin. However I STILL think the dolphin-fish is a weird Icon and it would've been better off using the mammal dolphin.

Whew! I wonder why Michael Graves chose a dolphin fish as an Icon?

UrsulasShadow
08-28-2005, 05:47 PM
I couldn't stand it anymore, so I sent an e-mail to Michael Graves Associates, hoping they can put the "dolphin debate" to some conclusion. I'll let you know if I get a response...my guess is that it's based on the ancient Chinese icon, others think it may be a dolphin fish. Could be it's just a creation of his imagination...hope I get a response from them!

xmelissax
08-28-2005, 06:51 PM
I couldn't stand it anymore, so I sent an e-mail to Michael Graves Associates, hoping they can put the "dolphin debate" to some conclusion. I'll let you know if I get a response...my guess is that it's based on the ancient Chinese icon, others think it may be a dolphin fish. Could be it's just a creation of his imagination...hope I get a response from them!

I'll be interested to see what the answer is

swilphil
08-28-2005, 07:17 PM
I admit that the first time I saw the Swan and Dolphin I thought they were something out of bizzaro world. After staying at both hotels, I realize that the design elements work together so well. The decor of the rooms is better than the Disney Deluxes, in my opinion. The landscaping is beautiful, as is the grotto pool, and the whole place is kept so clean. I also love the whimsical look of the Dolphin lobby. It's probably my favorite place to stay in all of WDW.

thelionqueen
08-28-2005, 07:25 PM
While Michael Eisner made some UNBELIEVABLY great changes to the Disney company, his huge mistakes flaw his record beyond repair.

To this point, the Swan & Dolphin. Only Eisner would bring another hotel chain onto the Disney property, and what an EYE SORE.

It may be incredible on the inside, but come on. The buildings are so unsightly and maybe just knowing they are not "Disney" makes it even uglier :confused3

The Contemporary isn't the most beautiful hotel either, but it was made DECADES ago! :wizard:

Anyway, to each their own, mark me down for the Swan & Dolphin are UGLY and I wouldn't stay there for FREE!!:scared:

PrincessKitty
08-28-2005, 08:06 PM
While Michael Eisner made some UNBELIEVABLY great changes to the Disney company, his huge mistakes flaw his record beyond repair.

To this point, the Swan & Dolphin. Only Eisner would bring another hotel chain onto the Disney property, and what an EYE SORE.

It may be incredible on the inside, but come on. The buildings are so unsightly and maybe just knowing they are not "Disney" makes it even uglier :confused3

The Contemporary isn't the most beautiful hotel either, but it was made DECADES ago! :wizard:

Anyway, to each their own, mark me down for the Swan & Dolphin are UGLY and I wouldn't stay there for FREE!!:scared:

Aesthetically, I think the All Stars and Pop Century are considerably "uglier" than the Swan and Dolphin. The Value resorts are just basically concrete block boxes plopped down on what looks like it was treeless cow pasture.

HOWEVER, when I go to ANY of these resorts, I love them for all the magic that was created out of plain concrete and flat land. And when I drive toward Walt Disney World and catch sight of the Swan and Dolphin, I laugh out loud at the vision of Grown Men and Women who must have had such a sense of humor! :fish:

Walt Disney World--classic architecture, it ain't. Fun and magic, YES!!!! :flower:

maui2k5
08-29-2005, 08:53 AM
I will admit, I was a little hesitant about booking a "Non Disney" hotel for my first trip back to WDW since 1999. Being that I have always stayed on Property I knew I wanted to be on property once again. Here was my reasoning for choosing the Swan over other Disney Owned and Operated resorts...

1) Price - The cost of the Swan is 1/2 the other Deluxe resorts in the Epcot area. I am paying $169 per night for a room with a view of Epcot with a balcony. The equivalent at the Yacht Club, Beach Club or Boardwalk is well over $300.
2) Heavenly Bed - after a long day in the park, a good nights rest on the beds at the Westin cannot be beat
3) Location - If I were to pick another resort with equivalent pricing in the Moderate category, I would lose out on being right in the middle of things between Epcot and MGM.

From a financial standpoint, it is hard to pass up the Swan or Dolphin - a Deluxe Hotel at a Moderate price. Many people on this board have overwhelmingly praised both resorts and have said there is plenty of "Magic" staying in those resorts. I will be there for 9 nights in about 3 weeks and I cannot wait!

Viki
08-29-2005, 10:04 AM
Anybody ever catch Don Knotts in the "Amazing Mr. Limpett?" (or some such title?). There may be where some inspiration lies!
:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

DisFlan
08-29-2005, 01:01 PM
The Swan and Dolphin are both lovely hotels...BUT I've never thought they fit Disney World. They'd be fine in any number of other settings, but not where they are.

I have to agree with a previous poster - POP is by far the least attractive resort on site. Very uninviting, very un-Disney. My sister had a less flattering opinion. She thought it looked like an inner-city housing project - with giant toys scattered around the yard.

DisFlan

MEM
08-29-2005, 01:30 PM
By the way, where is everyone getting the $99 Swan/Dolphin rate?[/QUOTE]

Actually, I received the $99 educator/educational support rate but it came up quickly on the Codes board and was for a very limited time (like the last 2 weeks of August) and only for part of my stay. For that price I would stay there again because of the location, the beds and the pool but they seem to have a serious water leakage problem in some of the rooms with the resulting mildew smell and wet carpet- ours was one of them. Reporting the problem got us nowhere except extra towels! I really missed POFQ at that point...

Getting back to the original question, I actually love the design of the buildings on the outside but feel the inside is looking very dated and 1980s.
DD and I call the resorts the Swan and Codfish because the stylized dolphin looks like Codfish designs here in Boston.

xmelissax
08-29-2005, 05:36 PM
The Swan and Dolphin are both lovely hotels...BUT I've never thought they fit Disney World. They'd be fine in any number of other settings, but not where they are.

I have to agree with a previous poster - POP is by far the least attractive resort on site. Very uninviting, very un-Disney. My sister had a less flattering opinion. She thought it looked like an inner-city housing project - with giant toys scattered around the yard.

DisFlan

Horrible to say it, but I agree that they do resemble some kind of housing project with giant toys,haha. Definately not my idea of a great vacation hotel, but oh well.

UrsulasShadow
08-31-2005, 06:35 PM
I couldn't stand it anymore, so I sent an e-mail to Michael Graves Associates, hoping they can put the "dolphin debate" to some conclusion. I'll let you know if I get a response...my guess is that it's based on the ancient Chinese icon, others think it may be a dolphin fish. Could be it's just a creation of his imagination...hope I get a response from them! Okay, here's the official word from Patrick O'Leary, of Michael Graves Associates:
Melinda,

I received the question to your "friendly debate." The design for the dolphin is a "friendly" version of the ancient roman/classical representation of the dolphin --- which was indeed more fishlike.

The same question was discussed in the March 1990 issue of Progressive Architecture in an article about the hotels. "The use of swans and dolphins came from his (Graves) classical studies; he saw the "friendly water-borne creatures" that appeared in Classical architecture and sculpture as appropriate images for lakeside hotels that needed to be taken seriously as convention sites yet not "blow the Disney myth" for children."

Michael was also aware of various sculptures of dolphins in Baroque fountains in Rome.

I hope this helps settle your bet. Please let me know if I you have any other questions.

- Patrick O'Leary

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Patrick O'Leary
Michael Graves & Associates

DisneyFans4
08-31-2005, 07:07 PM
Despite what alot of people are saying I feel the Swan is a beautiful hotel. Inside is absolutely gorgeous and first class all the way!!!! The rooms are very spacious and clean and the beds are the best I've slept on Disney property. To each his own.....

PJV57
08-31-2005, 08:32 PM

Exactly my sentiments.

Pkdcoastrs
08-31-2005, 09:35 PM
It stinks in the end, because a lot of Swan/Dolphin supporters are claiming they are the best ever. It's more that we want people to try them out and actually experience the resorts to be able to come to a true opinion of the resort!

maui2k5
08-31-2005, 09:50 PM
I will be at the Swan for 9 nights in late September for the first time and will post my opinions of the resort when we return. I have stayed mainly on Disney property at Fort Wilderness Cabins (many times), Polynesian (few times), All Star Sports, All Stars Movies, Port Orleans French Quarter and Yacht Club. I have enjoyed all the resorts so far and I am hoping the Swan lives up to my expectations. I have stayed at Westin resports before and they beds are excellent and one main reason I chose the resort. That and the pool plus a great rate compared to the other Epcot Deluxe resorts. I am looking forward to the trip and getting to experience another resort! Next time I think I will go back to the Polynesian, try out the Wilderness Lodge or possibly the Beach Club. Being in the Epcot area right between MGM and Epcot is very convenient which is a big plus...

dreamflight99
09-02-2005, 03:30 AM
To each his/her own...precisely.

;) Having stayed at every WDW resort, with the exception of the value resorts and the AKL, these two remain our favorites. The list of pros, is infinite. Listing them actually makes the Disney resorts "pale" by comparison. Yet, this is merely our personal opinion...and not expected to be shared by everyone. :confused3

Thankfully so...for that matter. These resorts have gained so much in popularity over the years, they are frequently sold-out now during long periods of certain seasons. Therefore, advanced planning and reservations are required to secure a visit there, especially an extended one (of more than 2-3 days). ;)

I'm genuinely pleased to see this thread, and reassured to know some will never be clamoring to make a reservation at my favorite WDW resorts!! :banana: All the more room/availability for us!! So, I truly and genuinely thank you...and kindly request you feel free to spread any negative opinions...etc., to everyone you pass. :goodvibes In the end...if it results in fewer reservation hassles and lower rates...I'm ALL OVER IT!! :rolleyes1

TTFN...DF99 :wave2: :sunny: :cool1:

dreamflight99
09-02-2005, 03:33 AM
shhh you're going to let everyone in on our secret! :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :banana: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :badpc: :earboy2: :wave2: :love2:

Tiggerific711
09-02-2005, 05:58 AM
We had a bus driver tell us one time that the Swan and Dolphin were originally supposed to be on the monorail line but it was built in the wrong place. They didn't realize until construction was already started and it would have cost too much to change it. Thats why they both have the large glass windows on the sides of the buildings, there were supposed to be the entrances and exits for the monorail.

:banana:

NancyIL
09-02-2005, 08:26 AM
I have always thought the Swan and Dolphin were beautiful, even before I stayed there. I remember my first visit to the resort in late November 1997. We were going to have dinner at Gulliver's, so we drove there from our offsite hotel in Kissimmee, and parked at the Swan. It was decorated for Christmas and it was beautiful....very elegant. We were early, so we decided to explore. We walked out the front of the Swan and across the walkway to the Dolphin. Riding the 2-story escalator up to the lobby on the 3rd floor was a WOW experience! And THEN we saw the HUGE Christmas tree in the middle of the lobby!!!! The tree was just breathtaking, and I loved the "circus-tent" look of the rotunda.

Here's a view of the Swan as the Friendship boat returns from MGM at dusk. Lovely, isn't it? http://www.swandolphin.com/images/explore/swandolphin_exterior.jpg

klofan
09-02-2005, 08:47 AM
I've never stayed there, but eveytime I go to Disney I look forward to seeing the two sister hotels. I think they are very nice. And even if you pay full price for a standard room, it's still cheaper than a tower room at the Contemporary or at B/YC. I really want to stay at each of them at least once. But what I don't understand, is why Disney just doesn't take over. I mean it's right there. I actually didn't know it wasn't owned by Disney until a few months ago.

But whoever thinks the tacky, plastic-like, and cheapness of the value resorts, the ageing of the Poly or the wings at the Contemporary are nicer than this, I really don't know what to say.

LibertyLover
09-02-2005, 01:40 PM

Believe it or not, it's perfect heraldic dolphin. Dolpins in medieval heraldry look just like it.

UrsulasShadow
09-02-2005, 08:26 PM
Believe it or not, it's perfect heraldic dolphin. Dolpins in medieval heraldry look just like it.
Again, see my post at the top of page 7(#93)...that's from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

dreamflight99
09-03-2005, 05:08 PM
True...I never pondered this aspect. Although I LOVE medieval history, and appreciate the information provided by UrsulasShadow as well. ;)

I always think of the incredible Mr. Limpit and Don Knotts when I view them, or perhaps what Dolphins would look like in Peter's Pan's lost boys MERMAID area...if there were any. All in all, it's pure FUN! I refrain from referring to anything as UGLY, as in life---it's all in the eye of the beholder. :confused3

DF99 :wave2: :cloud9: :sunny:

Buckalew11
09-04-2005, 05:06 PM
I remeber the first time we stayed on Disney property. My DH said as we drove by, "someday, I would love to stay in that resort."

We have stayed there twice now & I can tell you that they are beautiful resorts, wonderful Heavenly beds and the transportation is great. Nicest place I have ever stayed. No, it isn't as WDW themed as some but neither are most mods or Deluxes. Only the Movies and some of the POP buildings are 'disneyish" in MO. But, to each his own.

Buckalew11
09-04-2005, 05:13 PM
I have always thought the Swan and Dolphin were beautiful, even before I stayed there. I remember my first visit to the resort in late November 1997. We were going to have dinner at Gulliver's, so we drove there from our offsite hotel in Kissimmee, and parked at the Swan. It was decorated for Christmas and it was beautiful....very elegant. We were early, so we decided to explore. We walked out the front of the Swan and across the walkway to the Dolphin. Riding the 2-story escalator up to the lobby on the 3rd floor was a WOW experience! And THEN we saw the HUGE Christmas tree in the middle of the lobby!!!! The tree was just breathtaking, and I loved the "circus-tent" look of the rotunda.

Here's a view of the Swan as the Friendship boat returns from MGM at dusk. Lovely, isn't it? http://www.swandolphin.com/images/explore/swandolphin_exterior.jpg

Hi NancyIL!!

That photo is beautiful! It looks "heavenly"--kinda like the beds there!! :goodvibes Thanks for sharing that pic. I love it!

Hieatt
09-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Am I the only one that loves the Swan/Dolphin precisely BECAUSE they are NOT Disney-owned resorts??? I mean, they have every benefit of a "real" Disney resort (okay, I know, no Mickey soaps), but the fact that they are owned by Starwood means I can book lots of free nights and get suite upgrades using Starwood Preferred Guest points, and take advantage of great deep discounts that you never see at "real" Disney resorts (at least without having an Annual Pass). I mean, compared to Disney's frequent guest program... oh, wait, there isn't one...

I do understand some of the sentiments about the hotels being a bit too large for the area and not fitting in with the Boardwalk theme, but in their own right these are awesome resorts and are the best of both worlds in my mind. I would also have to mention the service... these hotels beat Disney at their own game when it comes to service. And when something does go wrong, you get a REAL response, not just a half hearted apology.

UrsulasShadow
09-04-2005, 10:47 PM
Well, I can't say they have EVERY benefit of a "real" Disney resort (transportation, free dining when offered[rarely], etc., but it sounds as though these resorts make up for it in value, service. I definitely want to try them when I book my next trip.

justmestace
09-05-2005, 12:42 PM
When I go to WDW, I want DISNEY! If I simply wanted to stay in a large chain hotel, I could do that anywhere.
These two hotels don't even fall into a resort category......not when you're used to true resorts & suites like the ones we stay in when we are in Las Vegas.

I totally understand those of you who stay at the Swan & Dolphin regularly, because they are cheaper, and you can use points.....but I guess it's just a matter of where your priorities lie. I'd rather pay the money, and stay on true Disney property, where the Magic is....as opposed to a chain that leases.

NancyIL
09-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Hi NancyIL!!

That photo is beautiful! It looks "heavenly"--kinda like the beds there!! :goodvibes Thanks for sharing that pic. I love it!

Hi, Brenda! I'm glad you liked that photo...it was taken from the Swan/Dolphin's website!

jilljill
09-05-2005, 03:16 PM
I heard from some people who worked on the building and they are definately not dolphins on the building, they are carp. So we now call it the carp hotel.

JulyGirl
09-05-2005, 05:31 PM
My parents booked a trip at the Dolphin for my High School graduation present 3 years ago. At first, I was so disappointed. How could we not stay at a "Disney" resort? :guilty: After we checked in, I had a different opinion. It really is a nice place and the location is awesome. The pool is one of my favorites. I'm sure I'll be staying there again sometime in the future. :goodvibes

UrsulasShadow
09-06-2005, 05:34 PM
When I go to WDW, I want DISNEY! If I simply wanted to stay in a large chain hotel, I could do that anywhere.
These two hotels don't even fall into a resort category......not when you're used to true resorts & suites like the ones we stay in when we are in Las Vegas.

I totally understand those of you who stay at the Swan & Dolphin regularly, because they are cheaper, and you can use points.....but I guess it's just a matter of where your priorities lie. I'd rather pay the money, and stay on true Disney property, where the Magic is....as opposed to a chain that leases.
I'm not flaming, just curious, as I have never been to either the Swan/Dolphin resorts OR the "true resorts" of Las Vegas, but where is it that you feel the Swan/Dolphin are lacking, exactly? Disney classifies these as "deluxe", but I don't know what a resort needs to merit that rating. Do these not meet that rating? Do the Disney "deluxe" rate the designation of "true resorts & suites like the ones you stay in when you are in Las Vegas"? Just seeing if we're comparing apples and oranges here.

Beca
09-06-2005, 08:47 PM
I agree with the OP....when the S&D are nestled between YC/BC and BW....they are too strong for the other more subtle resorts. In another setting they might me "fun", but right now (at least to me) they just look gaudy.

Maybe if they were in another place?

:wave:

Beca

Boardwalk Tigger
09-06-2005, 11:17 PM
Don't knock it until you try it! These are great resorts and feel as much Disney as do the other resorts.......and we are DVC owners!

I hope many of you continue to dislike them....more room for me :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Viki
09-07-2005, 07:50 AM
I'm not flaming, just curious, as I have never been to either the Swan/Dolphin resorts OR the "true resorts" of Las Vegas, but where is it that you feel the Swan/Dolphin are lacking, exactly? Disney classifies these as "deluxe", but I don't know what a resort needs to merit that rating. Do these not meet that rating? Do the Disney "deluxe" rate the designation of "true resorts & suites like the ones you stay in when you are in Las Vegas"? Just seeing if we're comparing apples and oranges here.

Yes! Yes! Please let us know the differences. I was taking my morning constitutional yesterday and kept trying to imagine what else a REAL DELUXE resort could offer? Chocolates on my pillow? Someone standing by at all times to massage my aching muscles? Pedicures in the room? Hot tubs - in the room!!!

Help! My expectation are rising and my imagination spiraling out of control. And, I'm about to take another walk! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

:sunny: :sunny: :sunny: