PDA

View Full Version : AKL or Poly?

JRawkSteady
08-25-2005, 09:03 AM
I've looked through all the possible info and have narrowed it down to these two resorts. My soon-to-be fiancee and I are extremely interested in both. We're going down the first week in Feb.
Here's a little info:

- she likes to work out but it isn't necessary to have a fitness center (she has no problem jogging)
- transportation is an issue...we don't want to be turned away from a bus and miss EMH
- we're not going to be spending TOO much time in the room, because we're very active people
- we want to stay away from anywhere the cheerleaders are going to be staying since they're always there in February when we go.

That's about it. Any suggestions?

grimley1968
08-25-2005, 09:14 AM
Poly all the way, especially if transportation is an issue. Poly has the most and best transportation options of any Deluxe resort, hands down. AKL has the least options, since you have to ride a bus everywhere from AKL.

For jogging, you could run from Poly to GF and back. You may have to complete the circuit a few times, as this is really not very far.

I don't think either AKL or Poly would be overrun with cheerleaders. Those groups tend to stay at the value resorts, from what I've been able to read about them.

edingerc
08-25-2005, 09:17 AM
Do you want me to answer this thread on this board or TGM's? ;)

JRawkSteady
08-25-2005, 09:25 AM
Do you want me to answer this thread on this board or TGM's? ;)

:teeth: I had to have as many opinions as I could right? :paw:

thumpersfriend
08-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Just curious, what is the TGM? I read another post today where someone said you shouldn't post on more than one board. Why is that? Thanks.

grimley1968
08-25-2005, 09:45 AM
I believe TGM refers to Tour Guide Mike's, another board totally separate from DIS.

I, too, read a post from someone complaining about people posting the same question on multiple boards within DIS itself, which I agree is pretty obnoxious. No need to post multiple threads on here.

But I see nothing wrong with posting the same question, though, on TGM and here, and anywhere else you might get some feedback.

thumpersfriend
08-25-2005, 09:50 AM
I totally agree. Thanks

Brina
08-25-2005, 11:10 AM
AKL. For me, Poly holds very little allure.

JulieAnne
08-25-2005, 08:27 PM
and Poly this coming trip. We loved AKL though....

MissionMouse
08-25-2005, 08:38 PM
I would say you should consider the Polynesian Resort because:

Monorail to MK
Monorail to Epcot
Yacht to MK
Bus to parks
Ferry to MK
1.5 Jogging trail around the resort plus a trail to the GF
Water Activities
GF Spa close-by (walking distance)
4 Deluxe Resort Restaurants close by with a short trip to Epcot for more
View MK fireworks from your resort
View Electric Water Pageant from your resort
Aloha spirit and atmoshere

Either way Cheerleaders will not be staying at a Deluxe Resort. I believe they stay at the Economy Resorts.

PJV57
08-25-2005, 10:47 PM
Definitely agree with MissionMouse. You can't go wrong with the Poly, especially the atmosphere. And they have two pools.

lmhall2000
08-26-2005, 07:35 AM
POLY!!! We've been to both and I just don't think your wife would like running around the parking lot at AKL...they don't have the paths like Poly does and the music/tiki torches just really take you away...the AKL is right on safari type land...it's dry and dusty and we had a hard time breathing there with all the animal dander and stuff...dear son had to go to emergency room with asthma and we think it was the dust/dander problem...

Hands down for us, too...POLY!!!!
Tara

babybunrab
08-26-2005, 07:49 AM
We just got back from AKL. While I like Poly just fine, I wouldn't choose it over AKL. AKL has a fitness center with treadmills, which I thought worked well.

DS has very bad allergies to many animals, but we had no problems with his allergies while we were there. The terrain may not appeal to everyone, since it is supposed to look like a savannah, but we found it quite lovely (because we like that sort of thing). We had a savannah view and I would pay for it again in a heartbeat.

As for transportation, we found the AKL busses to be pretty reasonable, though we only took the bus to MK because I usually rent a car. We never waited more than a few minutes for a bus.

*Fantasia*
08-26-2005, 08:01 AM
POLYNESIAN!! You get to watch "WISHES" from the pool/beach and watch EWP too! You have Ohana and Kona Cafe which has delicious food and the service is wonderful. The Neverland Club is great! The whole ground is exotically beautiful! The pool is nicely themed and the slide is sooo fun!! You are so close to MK! Take the monorail or the boat.. your choice. My choice... the POLY!

rt2dz
08-26-2005, 09:54 AM
I can't really give you an opinion, as I'm suffering through the same thing--Poly or AKL--but I can tell you about AKL, imo.

AKL is my entire families favorite resort, mine, DH, and DS (the others are too little to have an opinion). The resort is a little "out there" compared to others, but the buses do not share any stops so it is really just as fast as any other resort. And the buses are a lot less crowded than any other means of transportation within other resorts. There is a fitness center to use for exercise, but you'll be getting plenty of that. I think the Poly is beautiful, but the AKL is much more unique and one of the most beautifully themed resorts ANYWHERE--and full of such detail. I love the dining choices at AKL (Boma, Jiko), but you can pretty much dine at the parks or jump from park to resort dining of your choice. The views are fantastic, especially Savannah rooms. DS1 has BAD asthma and has had no problems at AKL.

I have nothing against Poly. I've never stayed there and would like to. Very much considering it for next years trip, but AKL is a favorite and the rest of my family would really like to stay there again.

WIDisneyFan
08-26-2005, 11:00 AM
Well I think the good news here is either of them would make for a wonderful vacation :earsboy: but since you did ask what we would pick for me hands down it is the Polynesian - as you can see from my signature my wife and I have fallen in love with the Polynesian for a great number of reasons and are looking forward to heading back next summer :earsboy:

From our experience you can't beat.....
The relaxed feeling and pace - wonderful cast members
Two nice pools (Quiet and Volcano)
Watching the Magic Kingdom fireworks from the beach at night (or the concierge lounge if you choose to stay concierge)
Being on the resort Monorail
The water launch to the Magic Kingdom and GF
Within walking distance of the TTC
Regular bus service to MGM and AK
Close to nice dining at the Polynesian, GF, CR, and MK

sbelyo
08-26-2005, 11:07 AM
I've stayed at both several times and I love both. However, if I had to choose for atmosphere it's AKL hands down. You can't compete with a live zoo out of your balcony. The drawback is the bus only transportation. The poly is the best choice if you're not going to be in the room/resort much. The transportation is way better and they do have one restaurant open for lunch.

candleonwater
08-26-2005, 11:16 AM
I recently had to make my mind up too. AKL was out because even though I love the resort I don't spend enough time at the resort to really enjoy it, and the transportation to the 2 parks we go to would take too long. We only go to EPCOT and MK.

Can I get some suggestions for a bldg to request at the Poly? We have a garden view room... this trip is me, my 8 year old daughter and my mother. Mom will be staying at the resort while we're partying away at MNSSHP... so close to hot tubs (?) might be good...

GrandmaBarb
08-27-2005, 07:23 PM
:wave2: Sorry, no hot tubs.