PDA

View Full Version : HURRICANE coming - now what??

pitmindi
08-24-2005, 11:54 PM
I plan to leave Pittsburgh (a city that is over 300 miles from the ocean) to fly to orlando on Sun, 8/28, for a week. Of course, it is not supprising, considering my luck with weather that a hurricane is due to arrive precisely when I am, and another hurricane is right behind it. Currently we are planning to stay 8/28 - 8/30 at the beach, probably Daytona, then stay 5 nights at the Pop Century with free dining. THe SW plane tickets can only be changed if our flight is canceled due to the hurricane, which we won't know in advance, and Disney charges $200 to cancel within 5 days of arrival, so we will probably go even if the hurricane is predicted to come during our trip. Should we change our resort?? Maybe we'll need a larger room if we are in it more due to the hurricane. How does one prepare for a Disney trip when a hurricane (or two) is likely???

DMRick
08-25-2005, 12:28 AM
Disney didn't particularly want us there for the hurricane last year. Once SW cancelled us (well, first they posted on line and gave us the chance to cancel) I called Disney, and they said no problem. We had a choice last Sept to either cancel totally and get a full refund, or put our funds on another date. We cancelled.

Be sure to keep an eye on SW..they offer updates and offer often let you cancel, even if they haven't yet:

Weather Advisory - Tropical Storm Katrina
At this time, we are operating our regularly scheduled flight service to/from Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and West Palm Beach (PBI). Naturally, as the tropical storm develops and moves inland, there is the possibility that any flight to/from these cities may be delayed, diverted, and/or cancelled.

Southwest Airlines Customers traveling to/from FLL and PBI after 4:00 PM CT on Wednesday, August 24 through the close of business on Saturday, August, 27 wanting to alter their travel plans may rebook in the original class of service or travel standby (within 14 days of their original date of travel between the original city-pairs and in accordance with our accommodation procedures) without paying any additional charge.

We wholeheartedly appreciate your patience and invite you to please visit Flight Status Information and/or sign up for our convenient Flight Status Messaging to receive the latest information regarding your flight. You may contact our toll free Reservations (1-800-435-9792) for additional assistance.

Please read our recommendations for travel during inclement weather.

Mrs. Squirrel
08-25-2005, 12:37 AM
We leave on Sunday 8/28 also. Staying at Pop until 9/3. I was a little nervous about it earlier today until I saw the latest tracking predictions. It seems to be headed further south than Orlando and will make landfall on Friday in which case, the flights probably won't cancel, but we may get really wet this weekend/early next week. :umbrella:

Has anyone heard differently?

jgreen
08-25-2005, 01:39 AM
We're due to get into MCO at a little after 11:00 A.M. on Friday morning. I had been checking the tropical weather for the last week or so and was really surprised when I got online this morning and saw TS Katrina headed for Florida.

My hope now is to be able to get into Orlando with no difficulties. Once there we will make the best of it. Like I've heard before, a bad day at WDW is better than a good day at a lot of other places. My kids have been looking forward to this for too long, and we will all keep a positive attitude and hope that everyone that is in the path of the storm comes out safely.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10708;133/st/20050826/e/WDW+vacation/dt/-2/k/4498/event.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/)

susy
08-25-2005, 05:23 AM
5 am on thurs, the hurricane is supposed to go through between Miami and Palm beach (my living room to be exact) and should be out of here by Sat afternoon. You'll be fine.

webray
08-25-2005, 06:14 AM
This is not a hurricane, it is a tropical storm. There is a big difference. The winds are not major, but it is expected to dump a lot of rain somewhere between miami and vero beach. Again, this is a tropical storm, not a hurricane.

FirstNo
08-25-2005, 06:44 AM
I plan to leave Pittsburgh (a city that is over 300 miles from the ocean) to fly to orlando on Sun, 8/28, for a week. Of course, it is not supprising, considering my luck with weather that a hurricane is due to arrive precisely when I am, and another hurricane is right behind it. Currently we are planning to stay 8/28 - 8/30 at the beach, probably Daytona, then stay 5 nights at the Pop Century with free dining. THe SW plane tickets can only be changed if our flight is canceled due to the hurricane, which we won't know in advance, and Disney charges $200 to cancel within 5 days of arrival, so we will probably go even if the hurricane is predicted to come during our trip. Should we change our resort?? Maybe we'll need a larger room if we are in it more due to the hurricane. How does one prepare for a Disney trip when a hurricane (or two) is likely???

I don't know what the weather people up north are telling you, but the Orlando weather people don't have the TROPICAL STORM (they THINK it MIGHT be a hurricane just before landfall) heading towards Orlando or any where near Daytona. It's due to hit around the Miami area, head west across Alligator Alley area and then turn north after emerging in the Gulf. I have yet to hear about any other tropical storms, much less a hurricane, behind Katrina.

Living only 15-20 min off the DW property, I can tell you that they're calling for lots of rain and some wind (35-40mph) starting late tonight (thurs) and into Sat. Having been through 3 hurricanes last year, that's not even something to blink at. I'll take some rain and a little wind over the intense t-storms any day. As long as the wind isn't bad (and it shouldn't be), all the rides will be open.

At this point, I'm more concerned for the people in the panhandle. Once Kat gets into the gulf, she'll have time to reorganize and get stronger with the warm waters helping her. Once she makes that turn north (or northeast, as our people are predicting), the poor people in the panhandle will get hit with a hurricane....again. :(

DisneyGrandParents
08-25-2005, 08:34 AM
Thanks webray and FirstNo, you beat me too it and said it better than I planned too.

Just because "Florida" and "Hurricane" are in the same sentence doesn't mean that you need to alter your Disney travel plans. After 3 (THREE) canes in '04, the MEDIA will look for an opportunity to hype it again. Just read between the lines and go to the NOAA website for good info.

DMRick; that's strange, as every one of the posts I read from folks who happened to be at the Disney resorts last year for either of the three that hit stated the Disney Resorts were the place to be, and they couldn't believe how great the staff and service were under the circumstances.

cjsmith
08-25-2005, 10:12 AM
It's only a tropical storm, not a hurricane. There is a slight possiblity that it reaches the first level of a Cat 1 prior to making landfall along the east coast of Florida, around the Fort Lauderdale area and then coming across Florida and exiting into the Gulf somewhere from where I am in Naples to the Fort Myers area. We're only going to get some winds and some heavy rain, it's nothing. The Orlando area may get some remnants of the storm with rain, but that's about it.

SB in KY
08-25-2005, 11:01 AM
I think this is a "Disney Hurricane" that you could weather with a Mickey Poncho!!! Go and have fun... if you dont arrive until Sunday....even the rain might be gone!!

anut4disney
08-25-2005, 12:16 PM
Cool we arrive on Sunday, maybe it will cool it down a little but I can't wait to get there. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Chip 'n Dale Express
08-25-2005, 12:45 PM
DMRick; that's strange, as every one of the posts I read from folks who happened to be at the Disney resorts last year for either of the three that hit stated the Disney Resorts were the place to be, and they couldn't believe how great the staff and service were under the circumstances.

Given a choice between a guest being home, and away from the hurricane, or at Disney and in a hurricane, then home is the place to be, by all means.

However, given the choice between someone being off-property, or on-property during the hurricane, then yes, by all means, Disney is the place to be. You've got the wonderful cast members, food, water, hurricane resistant shelter, and most importantly, POWER. I lost power first thing in all three storms, and it took a long time to get it back.

Indeed, it's amazing how great the cast members really were during the hurricanes. Many of them were working 20+ hour shifts, getting a few hours nap in the back office, or wherever they can find a quiet place, and then going right back to work.

lookingforward
08-25-2005, 12:54 PM
I live in south Florida and this tropical storm/hurricane is slated to hit Broward County (Ft. Lauderdale) early Friday morning. Boca Raton (South Palm Beach County) is expected to get a beating because it is on the right side of the storm. BUT, the winds are not expected to top 79 miles per hour. The problem will be the rain, lots of rain and the power outages that go with it.

Those in Orlando should be fine. We took a Disney cruise and stayed at the Hard Rock last September during a hurricane and it was fine. I hope everybody has a great time on their vacations.

No word on where the "second" tropical depression is headed. I think I am going to move to the middle of this country!

Sammie
08-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Thanks webray and FirstNo, you beat me too it and said it better than I planned too.

Just because "Florida" and "Hurricane" are in the same sentence doesn't mean that you need to alter your Disney travel plans. After 3 (THREE) canes in '04, the MEDIA will look for an opportunity to hype it again. Just read between the lines and go to the NOAA website for good info.

What Rick meant was that Disney was very accomidating in letting guests cancel that had not left home prior to the storm. Certainly for those that were already there when the storms hit, and I was there for Charlie, they were well prepared and we were treated great.

However as Tyler stated, if one has the option to avoid coming into an approaching major hurricane as last summer's storms were then that is different.

This however is a Tropical Storm, much different situation. For those outside of the Florida area I suggest you watch the Weather Channel for an accurate forecast.

Pack your ponchos, extra shoes and socks, make sure you have your ADRs made and have a good time.

lovesdumbo
08-25-2005, 01:58 PM
Of course, it is not supprising, considering my luck with weather that a hurricane is due to arrive precisely when I am.
OK so I can thank you for this storm? :rotfl:

We too arrive Sunday 8/28 and leave on Wednesday 8/31. I'm hoping we don't get too much rain as we only have 4 days but I know we'll still have a great trip. And I too am hopeful like ANUT4DISNEY said that this will bring a bit cooler weather.

Lewisc
08-25-2005, 02:02 PM
Based on the current forecast MCO doesn't anticipate closing.

eeyore25
08-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Thank you everyone. I hope those of you that are in the path are okay. Here's some :wizard:

Thanks again for the information. We too are leaving 08/28 and will be there for 9 nights. I am okay if we can land, than whatever happens, happens.

Thanks again and be safe everyone!

DisneyFans4
08-25-2005, 03:08 PM
I feel for all of you that are going soon because as you can see from my signature we were there last year when Hurricane Charley hit. We just got back from our trip last Friday and I must say thank goodness I wasn't there for it again.
I have a cousin who is down there now so I'M worried about them and my DH has a co-worker that is leaving this Sat. also and is now in a panic on what to do.
From the reports I'M seeing it does look like the storm is more south which is good news but I'm sure WDW is getting the rain and wind. They say it's supposed to make landfall tonight.
Good luck all of you that are going soon and let's hope it all works out.

pinkpiglettlover
08-25-2005, 03:09 PM
Leaving 8.28 also, was concerned until i spoke to a friend in Port St. Lucie who said no problems in Orlando and shouldnt be at all by sunday! Cant wait to be there hurricane or not!!!

DisneyFans4
08-25-2005, 03:14 PM
Cant wait to be there hurricane or not!!!

That's the spirit. I was there last year when Hurricane Charley hit and you just have to make the best of it.
I have heard it is not supposed to hit the Orlando area though so that's good news. At least it won't be real hot...I could deal with wind and a little rain. We just got back last Friday and WDW had their daily storms in the late afternoon anyway.

SoosieQ
08-25-2005, 03:24 PM
Go. Have fun. Bring your ponchos :umbrella:

ducklite
08-25-2005, 04:21 PM
The media people just love to get people riled up. I actually heard a DJ use the words "HUNKER DOWN" here in Orlando about an hour ago. :rolleyes:

We're going to ahve a little wind, a lot of rain, and that's about it.

So far I haven't heard reports of people stocking up on food or gas in this area.

The weather today has been breezy and warm, but a bit cooler, with on and off rain. Right now it's sunny and sprinkling outside my office window. (not a typo...) And I'm watching some idiot back up down the 429... :confused3

Anne

Englands Disney Gang
08-25-2005, 05:13 PM
Being from the UK we dont get to know any of the weather reports from the US...I dont want to panic and I know its a bit early yet but we are coming over and staying at CBR for 2 weeks on the 6th September...I am just hoping we will get there OK. Last year we stayed at POP and lost 2 days of our holiday due to Hurricane Ivan as no planes would leave the UK...we made the decision to come a little later this year and just hoping lightening does not strik twice!. Please if any info about any 'new' hurricanes/tropical storms are said on you weather reports please could you let us know on here!. Thanks

Lewisc
08-25-2005, 05:33 PM
You can get weather from www.weather.com

You can also go to the website for the local tv stations, I got this from a helpful member.

www.wftv.com (ABC 9)
www.wesh.com (NBC 2)
www.local6.com (CBS 6)

Finally the airport home page will give you information

http://www.orlandoairports.net/goaa/main.htm

cjsmith
08-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Don't worry about Orlando, you'll be fine. My kids are thrilled because they've canceled school here in Collier County tomorrow. The hurricane isn't that strong and is to hit the east coast tonight around Fort Lauderdale and then cross the everglades and exit into the gulf here tomorrow around 2 pm. It will be over us and we're only supposed to have 40 mph winds and a lot of heavy rain, 5 inches or more with flooding and the possibility of tornadoes. I'm sure I'll be sitting here tomorrow saying the kids should have been in school!!!

lucas
08-25-2005, 10:19 PM
I live in south Florida and this tropical storm/hurricane is slated to hit Broward County (Ft. Lauderdale) early Friday morning. Boca Raton (South Palm Beach County) is expected to get a beating because it is on the right side of the storm. BUT, the winds are not expected to top 79 miles per hour. The problem will be the rain, lots of rain and the power outages that go with it.

Those in Orlando should be fine. We took a Disney cruise and stayed at the Hard Rock last September during a hurricane and it was fine. I hope everybody has a great time on their vacations.

No word on where the "second" tropical depression is headed. I think I am going to move to the middle of this country!

Hi there lookingforward - I live in Boca Raton, too! :wave2: Luckily this storm wasn't too bad for us. Sounds like things have quieted down outside. Looks like Miami got the worst of it.

lookingforward
08-26-2005, 02:55 AM
Hey lucas! I can't believe how well we did. I do feel sorry for Miami, they actually got hit a lot harder than anticipated and had four fatalities. Very sad. We did not even lose power (although it is not totally over yet so I should not jinx our luck). I sit here and the wind still sounds a bit heavy, although it was mostly rain.

Take care everyone and enjoy your WDW trips. We head up there on September 17 for a long weekend!

FirstNo
08-26-2005, 06:39 AM
Being from the UK we dont get to know any of the weather reports from the US...I dont want to panic and I know its a bit early yet but we are coming over and staying at CBR for 2 weeks on the 6th September...I am just hoping we will get there OK. Last year we stayed at POP and lost 2 days of our holiday due to Hurricane Ivan as no planes would leave the UK...we made the decision to come a little later this year and just hoping lightening does not strik twice!. Please if any info about any 'new' hurricanes/tropical storms are said on you weather reports please could you let us know on here!. Thanks

Not being from the UK, I don't get any of your weather info when I want to go to London, but I know how to get to weather.com. You can plug in the zip code, or city, you're going to be travelling to and get all sorts of helpful info for your trip. :)

disneymom2one
08-26-2005, 09:59 AM
At this point, I'm more concerned for the people in the panhandle. Once Kat gets into the gulf, she'll have time to reorganize and get stronger with the warm waters helping her. Once she makes that turn north (or northeast, as our people are predicting), the poor people in the panhandle will get hit with a hurricane....again. :([/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
That's us and it looks our third major hurricane in less than one year. One important point is that the media really oversensationalizes these things. Hurricanes are awful experiences and I'm a little weary of them but the media pick up everything that looks or sounds horrible.

MB

jeannej
08-26-2005, 10:28 AM
I live in north Broward County and we were suppose to be on the dirty side of the storm. As the storm came ashore between Hollywood and Hallandale Beach in Broward, the high pressure system began pushing the storm south, south west. Miami-Dade wasn't as preapred as it could have been and the Keys weren't really prepared at all for a direct hit. So, with all the sophisitcated equipment that meterologists have, they still cannot always predict where a storm is going to hit and the behavior of that weather event after it does hit.

They are predicting that the panhandle is the mostly target of Katrina. That doesn't mean it cannot come ashore else where. It just depends on incoming highs and lows steering the storm.

jeannej

Ozymoe
08-26-2005, 10:33 AM
That's us and it looks our third major hurricane in less than one year. One important point is that the media really oversensationalizes these things. Hurricanes are awful experiences and I'm a little weary of them but the media pick up everything that looks or sounds horrible.

MB

That's a bit of a problem right there. The media does tend to report these occurences as "major", even when they are only moderate. However, the media does the same exact thing when they ARE major. We are all kind of pooh-poohing the weather reports on this thread...and I tend to agree, the media sensationalized this event, this time.

Hurricanes are no fun and Jeanne was pretty scary when I was there for it last year (in Kissimmee, 10 minutes from WDW parks). The loss of power was probably the most difficult thing since there were no guarantees as to when it would come on again. (It turned out to be a little more than 36 hours, but wondering "if and when" led to increased anxiety for already scared guests). What people tend to forget is that when the power goes out, so does the air conditioning. In Florida it doesn't take long for the heat and humidity to make sleeping difficult, which leads to even more tension.

I made the best of it as did most of the others who went through Jeanne at our resort (and there were wonderful workers going waay out of their way to help all of us, even though they had families at home, too).

I just don't think one should take the hurricanes lightly. They can be unpredictable and can turn very ugly, very fast.

That being said, it looks as if this one had little or no direct effect upon the Orlando area. Good news for all who were at, and plan to go to Disney this week. The Miami area took the brunt of it this time, but that could just as easily have been Orlando...it's a gamble and we should always have a "plan B" when we make our reservations during hurricane season so a long-awaited vacation doesn't turn into a "wish we hadn't done that" experience.

Just my 2 cents. I am not an alarmist by any means, but neither do I think we should underestimate Mother Nature just because the possibility of hurricane damage doesn't materialize for a specific area in a specific time frame.

disneymom2one
08-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Just my 2 cents. I am not an alarmist by any means, but neither do I think we should underestimate Mother Nature just because the possibility of hurricane damage doesn't materialize for a specific area in a specific time frame.[/QUOTE]
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Absolutely. We consider ourselves to be fortunate in that we "only" lost a roof one time and then parts of a small tree the next. With Ivan, we had bulldozers on our street to take care of all the debris. And Destin beaches have been eroded at least 30 feet between Ivan and Dennis. And many, many folks in the Panhandle are STILL without a home one year after Ivan. Power outages lasted weeks unless you were fortunate enough to live in an area with underground power lines as we do. Not fun.

However, I do think that the reality of what actually happens and what the media chooses to sensationalize are quite different. This hurricane (the first time) was never going to be huge (of course not minimizing the loss of life, power outages, flooding) And much depends on the last few hours, especially in coastal areas. A difference of 30 miles from a direct hit can make all the difference. We do what a lot of people here do- we keep a box with everything important. That box stays packed all during hurricane season. We have boards ready. And I'll be out today buying the usual water/gas/food. But having been through two majors in the last eleven months, I'll also keep perspective.

MB

Mariposa
08-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Well put Disneymom2one..

Seriously, the difference of 30 miles point is a great one.. I live in Panama City, not far from Destin at all, and almost 100% of the major damage from Ivan last year was due to some pretty nasty tornadoes. And Dennis barely affected this area. (Boy do I feel for you guys, though..) So, just because a hurricane is slated to hit Florida does NOT mean your Disney vacations will be ruined. Yes, if it's a big storm you can expect some rain, but just throw on a poncho and have fun!

Also, IMHO while it's important to know that all hurricanes can be dangerous (no matter the level) it's also important for the news to report all of this accurately-- alot of people here freaked out over Dennis earlier this season (fearing another Ivan) and when they got back from evacuating they found there was virtually no damage here and that our news had sensationalized the possibility of damage in Bay County (although western parts of the panhandle were really bad off, don't get me wrong) and now most everyone I speak to says they won't leave even if another major storm is forecast to head this way because they don't believe anything will happen. I try to pay attention to the National Weather Advisories, ignore the sensationalistic stuff, and do what's best for my family.

Friendly Frog
08-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Hi guys, I have a question related to this thread.

What should we expect if we are at Disney during a hurricane? For instance, should I pack candles, or does Disney resourts normally have power? ( Pop Century.) What would POP serve as food? What about water, would water still be available in the rooms, or would pumping systems most likely be down?( or would the water system become contaminated by flooding?)

Thanks.

DisneyFans4
08-26-2005, 12:49 PM
I was there last year during Hurricane Charley and stayed at the Swan and the hotel didn't lose power at all. They are well prepared and have backup systems if power does go out so don't worry.

Sammie
08-26-2005, 01:38 PM
Hi guys, I have a question related to this thread.

What should we expect if we are at Disney during a hurricane? For instance, should I pack candles, or does Disney resourts normally have power? ( Pop Century.) What would POP serve as food? What about water, would water still be available in the rooms, or would pumping systems most likely be down?( or would the water system become contaminated by flooding?)

Thanks.

Unless it is a very strong hurricane by the time they reach Orlando the damage to Disney power is usually only brief outages, if any loss of power at all. They are on a dedicated circuit seperate from the surrounding areas. So they have power when others don't. The buildings are extremely well built.

Usually the major thing guests have to contend with is disruption of services. Parks will close early, restaurants and food areas will close during the peak of the storm. So at Pop you would probably want to keep a flashlight handy, in case, and have some type of food in your room to snack on since you would not be able to leave.

I don't think they have ever had water problems in any previous storms.

DisneyFans4
08-26-2005, 01:47 PM
I remember when Hurricane Charley hit last year and we went into our room and it was only half made by the maid and fresh sheets were still sitting on the table. You could tell she just bolted when given the word but it was fine as it was very understandable.
They prepare well for a hurricane and I do remember the day it was going to hit you could go by the pool but there were no chairs since they already had them piled up and tied and I remember the parks were closing early which was the first time in many years that they had done that. Other than that, it is amazing how they still try to keep us vacationeers happy despite what they are going through and having to work when they should be at home preparing as well.

ducklite
08-26-2005, 02:04 PM
It's always a wise idea to have a flashlight with you when traveling. We had the power go out on us for a few hours at the YC one year, and the weather was perfect at the time.

Candles are generally a bad idea in hotel rooms due to the risk of a fire.

Anne

Viki
08-26-2005, 02:16 PM
We've been in and in between several hurricanes while at disney and never had a real problem (not to mention being there during 9/11). In fact, last year, my family, who lives in the area, were going to come and stay with us at the resort if the forecast worsened.

I've also found the staff to be very level headed, the opposite of the histrionics that the news puts us through these days.

:sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

deejohn
08-26-2005, 02:19 PM
We are from Philly, and don't get Hurricane's either!!!- We were down when huricane Mitch hit. The parks remained open, so we were able to go. For Hurricane Dan, they closed the parks early and the four of us were stuck in All-Star Music. We used the time to go to the gift shop, Downtown Disney, and the archade. The nice thing about going during Hurricane season is that there are not alot of people, so everyone can squeeze into the "dry" attachtions. Good luck - and enjoy it, at least it is not 24" of snow!!!

ducklite
08-26-2005, 02:27 PM
We are from Philly, and don't get Hurricane's either!!!- We were down when huricane Mitch hit. The parks remained open, so we were able to go. For Hurricane Dan, they closed the parks early and the four of us were stuck in All-Star Music. We used the time to go to the gift shop, Downtown Disney, and the archade. The nice thing about going during Hurricane season is that there are not alot of people, so everyone can squeeze into the "dry" attachtions. Good luck - and enjoy it, at least it is not 24" of snow!!!

Huh? I guess you haven't lived there long then. Hurricane Floyd was about six years ago, and did some major damage to the Philly, Central NJ, and Northern NJ areas.

Anne

deejohn
08-26-2005, 04:46 PM
Huh? I guess you haven't lived there long then. Hurricane Floyd was about six years ago, and did some major damage to the Philly, Central NJ, and Northern NJ areas.

Anne
What I meant was that we (PA) don't get the amount or brunt of Hurricane's like in FL, especailly last year.

A Mickeyfan
08-26-2005, 10:57 PM
Hurricane season runs from June to November... June, July & Aug are very busy & crowded months for Disney. It also rains here nearly everyday from mid June to mid Sept..... When going during hurricane season, you are taking the chance that one may head towards FL. Last year was not the norm, not only did they head towards FL, but seemed nearly all of them "hit" the Orlando area.... us Floridians us to think that the center of the state was the safest place...not anymore! Charley did some major damages from my end here (where it entered the state) all the way to Daytona (where it left the state).....

Englands Disney Gang
08-27-2005, 06:11 AM
Last year we were at POP when Hurricane Charley hit....being from the UK we had never seen anything like it and to be honest its something my children told all their friends as they were quite proud.
All I can say is how brilliant Disney were at the time!!. Yes the parks closed early but our day pass was refunded!. Staying at POP was great...some of the Disney characters came to give autographs/photos so kept the children entertained for a while. First everyone had to stay in the main buiding. We just stocked up on food and then we were all told to go to our rooms. They put lots of Disney films on but we were sat watching the weather channel (yes thats sad but remember being British we have not been through anything like this!!). Were where then informed by telephone when it was safe to leave the room....simple, straight forward and excellent service!!
When we checked out a few days later they had given us a days accomodation refund!!...I was amazed as Disney couldnt contol the weather!!

Our worry is we fly on the 6th September and staying at CBR. All flights from the UK are delayed at the moment around 24hrs due to the weather. Does anyone know if/when another will strike as it we heard on the news yesterday that the hurricane is turning around and coming back. I just hope we are not stranded at our airport in the UK for days!!

disfanatiks
08-27-2005, 09:08 AM
This is not a hurricane, it is a tropical storm. There is a big difference. The winds are not major, but it is expected to dump a lot of rain somewhere between miami and vero beach. Again, this is a tropical storm, not a hurricane.

Wish these words had remained true....The storm seemed to intensify so quickly this time!!!

A Mickeyfan
08-27-2005, 09:52 AM
Wish these words had remained true....The storm seemed to intensify so quickly this time!!!
How ture! Now they are saying it could end up a 4!!! It seems once it got into the Gulf's warm (hot) waters, it intensifed fast!!

jwfla422
08-27-2005, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by webray

I also have to add that indeed it was a hurricane when it came through here. Our area was spared, extremely lucky considering it was headed right for us and then it suddenly turned south, unfortunately those south of us weren't so lucky and the newspaper commented on how surprised everyone was with the damage and flooding that a Cat 1 hurricane can do.

So, tropical storm or minimal hurricane, the damage can still be devasting so it's very scarey! The winds were major in some areas and the rain can be just as damaging if not worse. It was enough to knock down a stretch of highway under construction in Miami, so I would call that major winds.

Make sure to follow-up on the weather if headed to Disney this time of year, this one snuck up on us as I thought we were in the clear on Tuesday getting ready to leave Thursday, for someone who follows these things closely, was I surprised that the Tropical Wave developed so quickly! We rescheduled to leave tomorrow instead.

The sad thing about it all is we always wish it to go somewhere else, but it will always affect someone if it hits land. Here's hoping that everyone in it's track will get through this ok, as a Cat. 4 is going to be really scarey and devastating.

A Mickeyfan
08-27-2005, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by webray

I also have to add that indeed it was a hurricane when it came through here. Our area was spared, extremely lucky considering it was headed right for us and then it suddenly turned south, unfortunately those south of us weren't so lucky and the newspaper commented on how surprised everyone was with the damage and flooding that a Cat 1 hurricane can do.

So, tropical storm or minimal hurricane, the damage can still be devasting so it's very scarey! The winds were major in some areas and the rain can be just as damaging if not worse. It was enough to knock down a stretch of highway under construction in Miami, so I would call that major winds.

Make sure to follow-up on the weather if headed to Disney this time of year, this one snuck up on us as I thought we were in the clear on Tuesday getting ready to leave Thursday, for someone who follows these things closely, was I surprised that the Tropical Wave developed so quickly! We rescheduled to leave tomorrow instead.

The sad thing about it all is we always wish it to go somewhere else, but it will always affect someone if it hits land. Here's hoping that everyone in it's track will get through this ok, as a Cat. 4 is going to be really scarey and devastating.
I know it was a cat 1 when it entered & it quickly turned a cat 2 as soon as it hit the Gulf. I am lucky too...it was to exit out of my area but ended up further south.. Our schools were cancel since we were to have high winds & flooding. People who do not experince these have no clue what goes on with them & the futher away they are from our coast, the more they say it is "nothing". 7 dead in a cat 1 isn't nothing in my book.. Yes, entering the state at a cat 1 down on the southern portion will not have much of an effect on Orlando's weather except for rains... but will anywhere near were it enters & all the way thru to it exits.... and then some with the trailing feeder bands. People need to wake up about these & take them seriously (as they are). The storms need to be watched constantly. (however, I do feel our County jumped the gun on canceling school yesterday, the decision to cancel was made at 4:30pm Thursday & it was tooooo early to tell then, they should've waited until Thursday evening at least).

This message is to all who haven't experienced "Tropical Systems".....

If you do not live where hurricanes hit (or haven't been through one), please do not give advice on them. Unless you have been there done that type of deal, you do not know what it is like. Leave that to those who have experienced it. Even the weather forecasters can and are wrong, never mind those that haven't a clue. Tropical storms can & do devlope into major storms, they need to be monitored. Paths change, as we have seen many times in the last year. They intesify quickly in warm water. I have seen Charley & Andrew change into a cat 4 within a short time prior to hitting land. Andrew not only went from a 3 to a 4, after it hit, it was determined it was a 5!

To all of us who have....what did I leave out???? Please fill in for me.
I don't want this post to sound as if I am jumping on people, I am not. Many of us look to these boards for advice. When it comes to something you have no knowledge of, please don't give advice. Many ask us here in FL what is our weather like for a certian time of year they will be traveling. We answer with what we have experienced over the years of living here, not just the one time we happen to be in Disney at that particular time of year. There are many weather sites to go on & find out... I do suggest that you go on a local one for Orlando, the local forecasters tend to do a better job than the big known sites.....that is just my opinion.

Englands Disney Gang
08-27-2005, 12:27 PM
I know this may sound a stupid question and not sure if it can be answered but does anyone know if there are any more hurricanes storms due within the next couple of weeks??. Thank you from someone in the UK who has no knowledge!!

crazy4wdw
08-27-2005, 12:44 PM
I know this may sound a stupid question and not sure if it can be answered but does anyone know if there are any more hurricanes storms due within the next couple of weeks??. Thank you from someone in the UK who has no knowledge!!

There are two low pressure systems in the Atlantic which have the potential to develop into tropical cyclones. Too early to tell what will happen to them at this point!

FirstNo
08-28-2005, 12:25 PM

When do you expect the next snowfall in the UK? Same type of question. You can't look into your crystal ball to give me the answer just as we can't do the same. Again, weather.com is a WONDERFUL TOOL for ANY traveller to use, no matter where in the world they are going. You can use zip code 32830 (there is a search bar that states "enter city or US zip" and this is where you would put the zip code and hit enter) for DW. There are numerous things to click on, but one of them is what is going on in the tropics. Handy if you're worried about what's brewing out there. I use the site whenever I travel to the UK!

As another poster mentioned: hurricane season is from Jun 1 thru Nov 30. Peak months are Sep and Oct. No matter where one is travelling, always do your weather research. Not only so you can pack accordingly, but so there will be no chance of 'surprises' when you get there. A wrong surprise can definitely ruin a trip. :(

eeyore0062
08-28-2005, 12:29 PM
For Florida, peak hurricane season is actually August and September.... so hopefully, we are halfway through. We had very little inclimate weather from Katrina... some breezy days with a few showers and some overcast skies. It was actually pretty pleasant, and the parks were not crowded AT ALL.

The fact that Central Florida got hit so badly last year with 3 was highly unusual. Not to say it couldn't happen again, but it is unlikely. We don't sit around here and plan our days around whether there might be a system out there..... there is almost always something brewing.

Englands Disney Gang
08-28-2005, 12:44 PM
Sorry if my question was stupid...I was only asking as no doubt your TV stations have covered the hurricane much more than ours...we have had about 5 mins altogether and that was based at a UK Airport interviewing stranded passengers. I know noone has crystal balls but just thought something may have been mentioned in a future forecast.
Unfortunatly I cannot get onto weather.com as it is a restricted site on my PC. Dont think I will ask anything else on here seems I have been told off!

LakeAriel
08-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Sorry the poster was so rude. I have a house in PA 120 miles from my primary home in NY and can't get accurate news about the other! How would anyone expect someone in England to get these reports? Are we so egocentric we think the world only reports the USA's problems?
NOT a stupid question!
:grouphug:

Tinkerbell10403
08-28-2005, 01:10 PM
My flight leaves out of New Orleans on Thursday....we are praying that Katrina leaves by that time and that we will be able to get there safely!

Sammie
08-28-2005, 01:31 PM
Sorry if my question was stupid...I was only asking as no doubt your TV stations have covered the hurricane much more than ours...we have had about 5 mins altogether and that was based at a UK Airport interviewing stranded passengers. I know noone has crystal balls but just thought something may have been mentioned in a future forecast.
Unfortunatly I cannot get onto weather.com as it is a restricted site on my PC. Dont think I will ask anything else on here seems I have been told off!

First never take anything personally on Internet Forums. If you do you will be miserable. ;) Also never leave due to comments by others especially just one rude or abrupt comment.

I think part of the frustration some feel when questions are asked about Hurricanes, is many can not believe that guests do not realize this is the peak of Hurricane season.

Not you personally, but many have posted on this board like this is the first they have even heard of Hurricane Season and then act like it is Disney's fault they can not control the weather.

Even here in the states not even the weather specialists know for sure what these storms will do. This particular one started out very weak and has possibly turned into the storm of the century. 175 mph winds are something most have never seen nor want to. New Orleans could be totally devasted with a hit of this magnitude.

So don't worry about weather questions, just realize none of us truly know what is in store, except you are travelling to an area prone to hurricanes during Hurricane Season.

mma
08-28-2005, 01:36 PM
Tinkerbell10403 Your Flight Isn't Going To Leave Out Of New Orleans Thurs If Katrina Hits Anywhere Near There. Reschedule Your Flight To Leave From Wherever You Are Evacuating To Because You Will Not Be Able To Get Back To New Orleans By Thurs. Can You Wait To Get Back From Your Disney Trip To See What Damage Was Done To Your Property? Take Important Papers With You When You Evacuate! We Will All Be Praying For You!

FirstNo
08-29-2005, 06:54 AM
Sorry the poster was so rude. I have a house in PA 120 miles from my primary home in NY and can't get accurate news about the other! How would anyone expect someone in England to get these reports? Are we so egocentric we think the world only reports the USA's problems?
NOT a stupid question!
:grouphug:

So, now it's rude to direct a poster to a website that would help him/her much more than any one here would? I don't believe I ever stated to the English poster to turn on his/her news programs for more info. I did direct him/her to the internet (which obviously he/she has if they are posting here) where they could actually get up to the minute info on the storm and any future storms. Boy, that was REALLY harsh of me! Don't know what I was thinking....

Here, I'll even be rude, again! To the English poster: if you can't access the weather site, try accessing this one: noaa.gov It's the site for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. There's a link on there to get to the National Hurricane Center.

FirstNo
08-29-2005, 07:08 AM

Sure the stations have covered it more. They say it's large, windy and rainy and a big storm surge will hit. That's what they've said. And they've been wrong numerous times about where it's going and when it's going to turn and what it will do. Before it hit Miami, they had it going west across the state and turning to the northeast shortly thereafter, hitting the panhandle of FL. Instead, it turned southwest partway through the state and kept on trucking that way for a while before turning west, then west northwest and finally northwest. It's only started to turn north a little while ago which is why New Orleans is now going to be hammered instead of FL. They don't know what it's going to do. They never predicted Charley to come through the middle of FL; but he did.

I think it's great you have enough faith in your meteorologists for them to get your weather right. Ours here aren't so good. Other than predicting we have a chance of rain every day in the summer, they don't know. They make educated guesses based on the info they have at hand.

And yes, I did use the crystal ball reference as a nice way of pointing out to you your question. You can't answer mine just as we can't answer yours. I'm not certain as to why you would take offense to it, as it was no different than your question. It doesn't matter where in the world you are, weather is not an exact science. I'm not certain as to why you can access a message board for Disney and not a site that could help you, but maybe if you do a search for "US weather", or something of the like, you'll find a site you can access and use on future trips.

LakeAriel
08-29-2005, 09:12 AM
This is what you said.. "When do you expect the next snowfall in the UK? Same type of question. You can't look into your crystal ball to give me the answer just as we can't do the same."

That was rude.

CinRell
08-29-2005, 09:37 AM

Actually your question wasn't silly at all and I'm sorry you were told off as the person that told you off is WRONG! Actually hurricanes ARE more predictable than snow and there is generally a week's notice if something is forming that looks like it may head your way. There are sites (I can't understand how to read them so I don't know them off hand)... that show you where activity is taking place and the potential for what it may become. I leave for disney this saturday and my friend emailed me over a week ago about katrina while she was still stewing in the ocean. Your question wasn't silly at all please do post here....
When will you be in the states? I hope your vacation is great...

and don't let weather forcasts disappoint you. Orlando calls for storms EVERY DAY this time of year but generally the storms last quite quickly and you'll have sunny days for the most part:)

CinRell
08-29-2005, 09:38 AM
This is what you said.. "When do you expect the next snowfall in the UK? Same type of question. You can't look into your crystal ball to give me the answer just as we can't do the same."

That was rude.

It was rude and innaccurate.

Englands Disney Gang
08-29-2005, 12:01 PM
Thank you all for your support...I thought it was just me thinking the 'Crystal Ball' statement was harsh!!...its really appreciated!!.
I have no experience of hurricanes we dont get them in the UK and therefore I have no knowledge of how they where or how they form or travel!. I did apologise along with the question if I was being stupid.

FirstNo-Thank you for your advise and where to look for future enquires that is appreciated. However your comment did come across abrupt and I felt uncalled for as I apologised in advance if my question couldnt be answered. I now know that the Hurrican has hit New Orleans and there is a possibility of 2 brewing up...I got this info from our radio station and its all I needed to know. Just for your info the UK hardly suffer major snowfall our main weather problem is 'flash flooding' which causes havoc (but even then we normally do get warnings!!)
Thank you eveyone and I am looking forward to coming over in 8 days time!

FirstNo
08-30-2005, 06:43 AM

That was rude.

That's your opinion. I was showing the poster the question can't be answered. If it's rude, then so was the poster's question as he/she asked the same thing.

FirstNo
08-30-2005, 06:46 AM
FirstNo-Thank you for your advise and where to look for future enquires that is appreciated. However your comment did come across abrupt and I felt uncalled for as I apologised in advance if my question couldnt be answered. I now know that the Hurrican has hit New Orleans and there is a possibility of 2 brewing up...I got this info from our radio station and its all I needed to know. Just for your info the UK hardly suffer major snowfall our main weather problem is 'flash flooding' which causes havoc (but even then we normally do get warnings!!)
Thank you eveyone and I am looking forward to coming over in 8 days time!

I figured rain was too obvious which is why I used snow :teeth:. My first trip to London, about 4ish in the morning, I was wakened to the sound of freezing rain. If I remember right, Scotland and northern England got hit with some heavy snow. Was very glad I was only getting freezing rain!

On my last trip (last year), I had just missed a bit of a sprinkling in London. Locals told me it pretty much shut the city down since they aren't used to it. :)

FirstNo
08-30-2005, 06:49 AM
It was rude and innaccurate.

Your opinion. And where was the innaccuracy?

FirstNo
08-30-2005, 06:59 AM
Actually your question wasn't silly at all and I'm sorry you were told off as the person that told you off is WRONG! Actually hurricanes ARE more predictable than snow and there is generally a week's notice if something is forming that looks like it may head your way. There are sites (I can't understand how to read them so I don't know them off hand)... that show you where activity is taking place and the potential for what it may become. I leave for disney this saturday and my friend emailed me over a week ago about katrina while she was still stewing in the ocean. Your question wasn't silly at all please do post here....
When will you be in the states? I hope your vacation is great...

and don't let weather forcasts disappoint you. Orlando calls for storms EVERY DAY this time of year but generally the storms last quite quickly and you'll have sunny days for the most part:)

No one "told the poster off." If any of you think that was telling the poster off, then I could make the whole lot of you cry and run away if I did tell any of you off.

The poster asked a question that can't be answered ("Are there any more hurricanes storms due within the next couple of weeks"). I turned the poster's question around on him/her to demonstrate it's not a question that can be answered. I provided info on where the poster can go, on the internet (since it's obvious the poster has internet access and obviously can't watch our news programs), to get info on what the storm was doing and if any other storms might be heading our (FL) way.

If the lot of you perceived that as being rude and/or "telling someone off", well, nothing I can say or do about it.

And to this poster: if you really think hurricanes are that predictable, then you paid no attention to the current one, nor did you have the joy of going through Charlie, when it was supposed to skirt the western coast of FL and hit us, in the middle of FL, instead. While meteorologists may get a general idea of which way they're headed, they do so using numerous computer models. And, as we could see with this last one, they rarely got it right. I'll take the snowstorm prediction over the hurricanes any day.

Miss Inga Depointe
08-30-2005, 07:15 AM
I think someone needs a cup of coffee! Or a nap! ;)

I was going to ask the Florida about what they thought about the temperatures for next week, but I guess I'll just get off my lazy butt and look at weather.com! :earboy2:

wdwfan
08-30-2005, 08:40 AM
I think it is time for a certain poster to stop justifying their rudeness and move on. :rolleyes1

safetymom
08-30-2005, 08:51 AM
http://www.wftv.com/weather/index.html

This is a great Orlando weather station.

Englands Disney Gang
08-30-2005, 08:53 AM
As the English poster with the original question which was is some people eyes 'stupid' think its best we all agree to disagree on our views of that certain reply...Lets just think of all those poor people in New Orleans and the surrounding areas instead.... :guilty:

ducklite
08-30-2005, 09:48 AM
I think someone needs a cup of coffee! Or a nap! ;)

I was going to ask the Florida about what they thought about the temperatures for next week, but I guess I'll just get off my lazy butt and look at weather.com! :earboy2:

It's Florida. It's August. hi's in the 90's, lo's in the 70's and rain pretty much every afternoon. Literally, it doesn't change and you do'nt need to look, that's the forecast.

Anne

LakeAriel
08-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Please donate BLOOD Call 1-800-GIVE-LIFE (1-800-448-3543) to find a donation center near you. The need is CRITICAL!

To help the victims of Katrina:

Donate to:
Habitat For Humanity
Second Harvest
The Humane Society of the United States
Emergency Animal Response System
New Orleans Musicians Clinic

THANK YOU DUCKLITE FOR BRINGING THE ABOVE TO EVERYONES ATTENTION! THE MOST INFORMATIVE INFO I HAVE READ HERE. TO REITERATE, GIVING BLOOD TAKES ABOUT 20 MINUTES AND SAVES AT LEAST 5 LIVES PER PINT YOU DONATE. YOU CAN BE RICH, POOR, BLACK, WHITE OR IN BETWEEN, A VALUE RESORT OR DELUXE TYPE :rolleyes: AND GIVE THE GIFT OF LIFE!!!!!!!!!!THE SHORTAGE IS VERY CRITICAL!!!! :grouphug:

safetymom
08-30-2005, 05:00 PM
Posts about the hurricane and helping the victims are better suited to the Community Board. Please post your information there. Thank you.

CinRell
08-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Actually I *have* been following the hurricanes.. I do every year as I have family in Florida who've been hit several times. In fact on another message board we talked about the potential for katrina.. the likelyhood of it hitting at least Fla.. about a week before she did. I think the poster was asking if anything was brewing and yes.. there were 2 tropical depressions brewing.. TD13 is now gone. TD14 is being watched and while no you can't give an exact of where it will hit you can estimate... and you can know there IS something out there and it may be coming and prepare as you will. My uncle boarded up his house well before katrina hit.. so yes. Hurricanes are somewhat predictable as far as where/when they'll hit. Moreso than a snow storm.. especially on the snow belt.

hedwig
08-30-2005, 05:32 PM
Currently, there is a Tropical Depression Thirteen around the Lesser Antilles. It is moving NW.

I leave next week for WDW- I will watch it to see where it goes, just to be informed- because I know it will make me feel better to know of it and where they are tracking it. Can they give me the direct path it will take, no, but it will give a pretty good estimate.

LakeAriel
08-30-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm confused :confused3 We can talk about the hurricane but not about helping people impacted by the hurricane on this thread??
:faint:

safetymom
08-30-2005, 07:00 PM
This board is for resort planning. An approaching hurricane can impact your resort plans. The community board is the perfect place to discuss how we all can help the hurricane victims.

FirstNo
08-30-2005, 07:42 PM
I think it is time for a certain poster to stop justifying their rudeness and move on. :rolleyes1

Never justified my "rudeness", only my response. If I felt I was "rude", I would have apologized. But, I will move on as I can't convince the jury and really have no desire to, any more. :confused3

ktink
08-30-2005, 08:00 PM
Currently, there is a Tropical Depression Thirteen around the Lesser Antilles. It is moving NW.

I leave next week for WDW- I will watch it to see where it goes, just to be informed- because I know it will make me feel better to know of it and where they are tracking it. Can they give me the direct path it will take, no, but it will give a pretty good estimate.

I read on weather.com under the hurricane central tab that this has dissipated but they will continue to monitor it over the next couple of days to see if there's any reorganization. We leave on Sunday, so I want to keep an eye out too. Last year, we were scheduled to fly out the Sunday before Labor Day and that weekend is when Frances hit so we had to postpone our trip for a week. I hope we are able to bypass that this year. :goodvibes

hedwig
08-30-2005, 08:39 PM
I read on weathercom under the hurricane central tab that this has dissipated but they will continue to monitor it over the next couple of days to see if there's any reorganization. We leave on Sunday, so I want to keep an eye out too. Last year, we were scheduled to fly out the Sunday before Labor Day and that weekend is when Frances hit so we had to postpone our trip for a week. I hope we are able to bypass that this year. :goodvibes

YEAH!!! Good to hear- must of missed that part on weathercom. We leave on Wednesday and have been checking daily on anything new. Here's hoping good luck! Have a great trip.

ktink
08-30-2005, 09:32 PM
YEAH!!! Good to hear- must of missed that part on weathercom. We leave on Wednesday and have been checking daily on anything new. Here's hoping good luck! Have a great trip.

I know I just hope it stays that way. Have a nice trip too! :wave2:

annie1995
08-30-2005, 09:38 PM
I read on weather.com under the hurricane central tab that this has dissipated but they will continue to monitor it over the next couple of days to see if there's any reorganization. We leave on Sunday, so I want to keep an eye out too. Last year, we were scheduled to fly out the Sunday before Labor Day and that weekend is when Frances hit so we had to postpone our trip for a week. I hope we are able to bypass that this year. :goodvibes

Ok, when a hurricane goes through, how long is Orlando usually impacted, I mean by way of flights, park closings etc???

eeyore45
08-30-2005, 10:16 PM
My heart is just breaking for the lives, and for our country in the wake of Katrina. I've never visited New Orleans, but what a unique part of our country... not a blanket strip mall, a unique part of Americana, all now, gone... the lives and the stories are heartwrenching... completely.... I just heard the levy broke again, and they expect another foot of water...

and the animals, the wildlife that is scared (fox, alligator,crocs, snakes) to the pets that had to be left behind...

to the prisoners that have to sit on a hill with guns pointed at them...

May daylight come soon, may the Army Corps fix it, sooner, than later...

ktink
08-30-2005, 10:22 PM
eeyore45, I know what you mean. Me and my family have sat down several times today while watching the coverage of the devastation and prayed for these families. It truly breaks my heart for these people and i feel guilty being so excited about our upcoming vacation. All we can do is to continue to pray for these people and give in any way that we can.

annie1995, Last year I believe WDW was only closed for 1 day during Frances. We postponed our trip because of the ingoing flights to Orlando and could've left a little later in the week but due to work it was easier to delay the trip. Hope that helps.

CinRell
08-31-2005, 08:54 AM

Yikes TD 13 reformed then? On the weather channel 2 days ago they said "TD 13 no longer exists"... he must've reformed. But there's still enough warning to estimate where he's going and when.... Thanks for the info:) I'll be there next week too and will keep my eye on him!

CinRell
08-31-2005, 08:56 AM
Ok, when a hurricane goes through, how long is Orlando usually impacted, I mean by way of flights, park closings etc???

It all depends on the strength of the hurricane and damage it causes. New Orleans will be impacted for months. Homestead, where my family is, which katrina hit first, is doing some clean-up but compared to LA ... they're "ok"...

safetymom
08-31-2005, 08:56 AM
www.wftv.com

The local station is forecasting that both TD 13 and 14 will have no affect on Florida. The track has them staying out over the ocean and heading north.

Englands Disney Gang
08-31-2005, 09:41 AM
The Hurricane is headline news on all our stations here in the UK. Our thoughts and prayers are with all the people that have been affected in ANY way. We are coming over on Tuesday so keep me updated in weather info before then (if there is any!) To all the posters who are leaving for WDW in the next few weeks...heres to a safe and wonderful holiday to us all XXX :flower:

momimouse27
08-31-2005, 10:04 AM
I was born and grew up in Mississippi. It is so upsetting to see Gulfport and Biloxi(and New Orleans as well) in devastation like that. My dad lives in Jackson and he said it was a mess up there when it came through. He says almost everyone is without power and there are police guarding the few open gas stations to prevent any incidents. The pictures they are showing just have me floored. It looks nothing like the MS gulf coast I know. My husband left Biloxi the day before it hit and its really weird for him to watch. :guilty:

safetymom
08-31-2005, 12:24 PM
Latest information on the Tropical Depression

WTNT43 KNHC 311439
TCDAT3
TROPICAL DEPRESSION THIRTEEN DISCUSSION NUMBER 5
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
11 AM EDT WED AUG 31 2005

TROPICAL DEPRESSION THIRTEEN WHICH BECAME A BROAD AREA OF LOW PRESSURE A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO HAS RE-GENERATED INTO TROPICAL DEPRESSION STATUS. THIS IS BASED ON DVORAK CLASSIFICATIONS OF 2.0 FROM TAFB AND SAB AND A SSM/I MICROWAVE IMAGE AROUND 10Z WHICH SHOWS A CONVECTIVE RING ASSOCIATED WITH THE CENTER. VISIBLE SATELLITE IMAGES SHOW A WELL-DEFINED CYCLONICALLY CURVED CONVECTIVE BAND TO THE EAST OF THE CENTER BUT THE OUTFLOW IS RESTRICTED. IT APPEARS THAT THE DEPRESSION IS VERY NEAR TROPICAL STORM STRENGTH AND IF IT NOT ONE NOW...IT COULD BE ONE LATER TODAY. NO SIGNIFICANT STRENGTHENING IS EXPECTED THEREAFTER.

THE DEPRESSION IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHEAST OR 040 DEGREES AT 11 KNOTS BETWEEN THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE TO THE SOUTHEAST AND LOW TO THE NORTHWEST. STEERING CURRENTS ARE FORECAST TO BE POORLY DEFINED DURING THE NEXT 2 TO 3 DAYS AND THE DEPRESSION COULD TURN MORE TO THE NORTH-NORTHEAST AROUND THE CIRCULATION OF THE LOW TO THE NORTHWEST AND A BUILDING HIGH TO THE SOUTHEAST. THIS TRACK IS IN
BETWEEN THE GFDL AND CLIMATOLOGY.

Sammie
08-31-2005, 12:38 PM

With Orlando being in the middle of the state, hopefully a hurricane will never impact it as much as areas on the coast. There truly is no way to know for sure, but based on past storms, such as Charlie last year, usually the parks close early to allow Disney enough time to prepare for the coming storm and to allow the cast to get home to prepare there. For Charlie they closed at noon, for a storm that was coming early afternoon.

Also the next day openings can be delayed due to cleanup. So in the past a couple of days has been the pattern for disruption of the norm.

Now as to flights that is even harder to tell. Charlie did some major damage to the airport last year, more so than anything at Disney so flights were delayed or cancelled for a few days.