PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane in Gulf.... : (

Tinkerbell10403
08-24-2005, 02:03 PM
I just got online and read something about a hurricane that is headed right to Florida!! I know this may not impact our plans since we are leaving a week from tomorrow....but does anyone know anything else about this storm?

firemanx
08-24-2005, 02:07 PM
if your going next weekend for labor day this storm shouldnt worry you it will be gone by then, but theres no gurantee that another CANE wont follow. Hopenot cause thats when i will be there

JiminyC&me
08-24-2005, 02:17 PM
At the present moment it's a tropical storm (at least that's a little better than a hurricane - but not much if it passes over you :rolleyes: I know) off the east coast of Florida. The 5 day forecast calls for it to cross Florida as a storm and once it gets over the Gulf it could possibly turn into a hurricane. At that point it's pointed to the panhandle,...... again!!!! :earseek:

I'll be at Disney for Labor Day weekend, too but as the previous poster said this one should be well out of there by then and hopefully there won't be any behind.

MAGICinMYHEART
08-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Hurricane in Gulf....Nope just Tropical Storm Katrina she is picking up strength over warm water, with maximum sustained wind speeds now 45 mph.
She isn't a Hurricane yet but if she crosses Florida she could always intensify once she reachs the Gulf. :confused3

You should be looking futher over off the coast of Africa to see if any other stroms are forming.

ascardino
08-24-2005, 03:01 PM
We are keeping our fingers crossed too for good weather because we will also be there for Labor Day!!

grimley1968
08-24-2005, 03:06 PM
One time we got to WDW just as a tropical storm was exiting the area. For the next 3 days, we had about the most idyllic weather I've ever seen in Florida. Temps in the low, low 80's and virtually no humidity. It was incredible, until the humidity creeped back in toward the end of our stay. Hopefully, this storm will have this effect this time around.

D&R love Disney
08-24-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm hoping that 2 years in a row a hurricane doesn't hit Orlando. We missed our trip last year because of one.

luv2go2disney
08-24-2005, 06:41 PM
This was something that I didn't even give a thought to when we booked. I was just very excited to take our kids to WDW for the first time and even more excited about the "free" dining offer. And now I too am very paranoid about a tropical storm or hurricane in the area. Especially because we DID NOT get trip insurance!!!! :earseek:

kimatigger
08-24-2005, 06:47 PM
Luv2gotodisney- I am in the same boat. 2 kids first trip to Disney with them. Leaving on the 9th and no trip insurance.

cody's mom
08-24-2005, 07:03 PM
Satellite images indicate that the shower activity associated with
the tropical wave located about 1200 miles east of the northern
Leeward Islands is gradually becoming better organized. This
system has the potential to become a tropical depression on
Thursday...as it moves toward west-northwest over the open
Atlantic.

This is the one I'm worried about. We are leaving next Thursday, so we need to watch that one closely. As long as I can fly into Orlando on Thursday, that's all I'm concerned about! Well, I also pray that a hurricane doesn't head to New Orleans while we're gone, and we can't get home! :rolleyes:

hockeybabe
08-24-2005, 07:12 PM
You can still get trip insurance through another company at *****************. There are several companies to choose from, and according to their FAQ, you can get them up to the day before you leave, IF they don't refuse it. So if you waited until you knew the airports would be closed, I guess they might not let you buy, but if it was 2 weeks before you left, I assume they would sell it to you. The only thing you lose by not buying it 7-14 days after you booked your trip is the insurance if your airline goes bankrupt, and maybe some pre-existing medical conditions.

Most of the companies even cover terrorism, which Disney's insurance does not.

Might be worth checking out.... :umbrella:

webray
08-24-2005, 07:12 PM
No hurricane in florida...not yet. Winds are expected to be nothing more than normal for south florida. Cone of concern is miami to vero beach.

boomhauer
08-24-2005, 07:16 PM
No hurricane in florida...not yet. Winds are expected to be nothing more than normal for south florida. Cone of concern is miami to vero beach.

According to weather.com, their latest storm path looks like it's going to be further inland than initially forecasted. Looks like it's gonna right in central Florida around Saturday afternoon.

gottaluvPluto
08-24-2005, 07:25 PM
Don't let a hurricane stop you from going to Disney. Disney does a wonderful job with the storms and most likely you will be able to go to the parks the next day.

I truly wouldn't worry about any major hurricane hitting Orlando because they all seem to come to Pensacola.

Tarpon
08-24-2005, 07:31 PM
We are leaving on Saturday for a week at Disney. I don't expect a tropical storm to affect flights to Orlando. It looks like by Saturday monring, it will be in the gulf. So I guess there will be lots of rain for a while.

boomhauer
08-24-2005, 07:40 PM
We are leaving on Saturday for a week at Disney. I don't expect a tropical storm to affect flights to Orlando. It looks like by Saturday monring, it will be in the gulf. So I guess there will be lots of rain for a while.

I really hope you're right. It's tough to tell. It looks like the eye will be off to the west coast or in the gulf by Saturday. With any luck, all Orlando will get is just rain, and there will be no need to close the parks.

I'm staying at All Star Movies, and I love it there, but I was there during Frances last year, and went without food for 2 days as the food court and gift shop was closed the entire time.

jaymie_g
08-24-2005, 08:39 PM
:cool1:
My children and I weathered Hurricane Frances last year at the Boardwalk Villas. The parks were closed for two straight days (Saturday and Sunday). I CAN'T say enough good things about how Disney handles weather situations! We were well informed and well taken care of. One of my fondest memories of the trip is Pluto playing 'vollyeball' with a balloon over a masking tape 'net' created by the cast members with my children during the height of the hurricane (roof tiles flying by and all!).

You're fine! Disney is well prepared and safe. Come to think of it, the last hurricane predicted for Florida made my children ASK to go to Disney! :rotfl:

Jaymie

Tarpon
08-24-2005, 09:17 PM
I didn't get trip insurance. If this tropical storm decides to turn big and the flights are canceled, I will still have to pay Disney for the week right?

Sammie
08-24-2005, 09:32 PM
I didn't get trip insurance. If this tropical storm decides to turn big and the flights are canceled, I will still have to pay Disney for the week right?

Flights would probably only be cancelled for one day and that wouldm only be due to a major hit directly at the airport. You might experience delays. Unless you have a package booked you should be allowed to delay arrival if needed.

Disney is good to work with you if a hurricane prevents arrival.

Tarpon
08-24-2005, 09:37 PM
I got two air tickets via miles and bought one. We are flying Song.

I booked only room through Disney directly.

jwfla422
08-24-2005, 10:20 PM
In the past Delta dropped their "change fee" when there was a hurricane brewing, so I would imagine or hope that SONG would do the same. I called this morning about our room and they said I could change the dates if I needed to (we're supposed to check in tomorrow).

Even though you're coming Sat. there may still be delays depending on the impact of the storm which is forcast to become a hurricane when it makes landfall. It's due to impact us in South FL on Friday so weather from it may still linger well through the weekend. It's expected to slow down and produce several inches of rain anywhere from Vero to South FL. Even though this is not Orlando they may still get a lot of the outflow from it so it can indeed create airport delays. Just be prepared for that and good luck :sunny: