PDA

View Full Version : Is this the norm? re: spas at disney

patsal
08-24-2005, 11:58 AM
I went to SSR for the Adirondack Hot Stone Therapy--BTW it was amazing, great, relaxing, wonderful--you put in your favorite adjective. I would go again in a heartbeat. Did I mention that I loved it?! Anyway the staff was amazing and I would definately do this again--coming from a super frugal person who really thought this luxuray was only for the "rich and famous" Heck I traded my wedding gown for a fridge--same price better return! (I eloped). Anyway, is it normal for the lounge/waiting area to be a babysitting drop off? Several people were having treatments and they left their children in the waiting room. They were running around, eating the food, spilling beverages, just generally being very active, unsupervised 5 and 6 yo children--which I expect at WDW just not in a spa lounge. If this is not normal, how can I be sure to avoid the same circumstance should I opt to do this again. I have to admit that much of the appeal came from the fact that I would get a real break from children--I am a parent and a teacher and the idea of "kid free" for a few hours was appealing. I figured if children were there they would be there for a reason--getting a treatment. What do you think?

GEM
08-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Hmmm. I've had quite a few spa treatments at several different Disney resorts, and I've never encountered anything like that. I don't blame you for being upset! I can't believe any parent would really do that. I would have definately complained to the CM at the desk.

ducklite
08-24-2005, 12:18 PM
I've never encountered this, and it's HIGHLY inappropriate. The spa receptionist should have told the clients that they couldn't leave the kids, period.

My favorite spa in the world is at the Mirror Lake Inn in Lake Placid, they don't allow children in the "sanctuary" at all. Once you get past spa reception its ONLY adult. In fact they won't even due treatments on kids other than manicures/pedicures which are not behind the reception area, but in a little wing off to the side of it. It's a decadent set-up, nothing like the "high-end locker room" feel that the GF Spa has.

Anne

Sammie
08-24-2005, 12:19 PM
This is definitely not the norm and if parents were leaving children in the lounge unsupervised while having a treatment I would have notified the staff. This is not acceptable for the other spa guests or the children themselves.

It seems more and more, someone has to tell people how to act responsibly and with manners.

*NikkiBell*
08-24-2005, 12:25 PM
We are becoming spa afficianados as time progresses and have never experienced that at any spa, Disney or elsewhere. Spas usually turn away anyone with children as they are not meant to be there unless they're little girls with their mothers being brought to a "first facial" or something of the like. I am very surprised you saw this at Disney. Both the Grand Floridian and Saratoga Springs Spas are Michael Bryan spas and very professional. You might want to send them a quick email or letter about this.

D&R love Disney
08-24-2005, 12:36 PM
Along with everyone else I've never encountered a problem like that. The quiet area is usually very relaxing and a way to put you into the mood for your treatment.

webray
08-24-2005, 12:37 PM
I went to SSR for the Adirondack Hot Stone Therapy--BTW it was amazing, great, relaxing, wonderful--you put in your favorite adjective. I would go again in a heartbeat. Did I mention that I loved it?! Anyway the staff was amazing and I would definately do this again--coming from a super frugal person who really thought this luxuray was only for the "rich and famous" Heck I traded my wedding gown for a fridge--same price better return! (I eloped). Anyway, is it normal for the lounge/waiting area to be a babysitting drop off? Several people were having treatments and they left their children in the waiting room. They were running around, eating the food, spilling beverages, just generally being very active, unsupervised 5 and 6 yo children--which I expect at WDW just not in a spa lounge. If this is not normal, how can I be sure to avoid the same circumstance should I opt to do this again. I have to admit that much of the appeal came from the fact that I would get a real break from children--I am a parent and a teacher and the idea of "kid free" for a few hours was appealing. I figured if children were there they would be there for a reason--getting a treatment. What do you think?

Wow..this is definately unacceptable. Next time go straight to receptionist and if you get no satisfaction..get spa manager. First off, the children should not have been left unattended..jeesh. Second..all spas I have been to are adult only 18 and up. Definately say something the next time..you are paying a good price and don't need to listen to someone elses ill behaved children. I would have been really ticked off.

johnsonet
08-24-2005, 01:11 PM
deleted

patsal
08-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Thanks everyone! This is pretty much what I thought, but since it was my "first time" at a spa I didn't want to complain if it were the norm. I think that I will write just so they are aware of the existing problem and next time if something like this should happen I will mention something immediately. Having never been I just was not sure. Obviously I don't dislike children, but I can't imagine leaving a young child unattended for any period of time.

daisax
08-24-2005, 02:14 PM
I've got a spa day at GF in a few weeks and if there are unattended children, things won't be pretty. :pug:

LIFERBABE
08-24-2005, 02:25 PM
I agree that should never happen!! Were the kids wearing robes? :sunny:

I have also enjoyed services at SSR and never saw any children so they should definitely be made aware of it.

Was this in the upstairs lounge (relaxation room) or the downstairs area?

johnsonet
08-24-2005, 03:01 PM
I've got a spa day at GF in a few weeks and if there are unattended children, things won't be pretty. :pug:

:rotfl: But I'm sure you won't have a problem.
Enjoy!

patsal
08-24-2005, 03:17 PM
No, they were not wearing robes, that is how I figured they were not receiving treatments, one was a boy about 6 and a girl about 4. They tried out each of the empty chairs, ate fruit--more like took bites or peeled it and ate one slice threw in trash, tried water, tried tea, played phone with the phone in the room, played tag and ate candy. I felt a bit annoyed with them but more sorry for them. Like I said they were young to be left alone and at WDW there is so much for them to do so as not to have to try to entertain themselves. I'm looking for an address to send the letter, but prior to doing so I wanted to check to see if that was normal for WDW. People who I spoke to at home said that they never experienced that in a spa though. It was in the upstairs relaxation room where you wiat in robes for your treatment time. In addition to the @ 4 and 6yo there was a little girl about 8 who patiently waited for her mom to have a treatment--again not in a robe, and one child in the changing area--they were leaving and I just figured she may have had a treatment with her Mom.

ducklite
08-24-2005, 04:15 PM
. Both the Grand Floridian and Saratoga Springs Spas are Michael Bryan spas and very professional. You might want to send them a quick email or letter about this.

Not quite. Nikki Bryan. Here's the address:

NIKI BRYAN 7688 MUNICIPLE DR ORLANDO FL 32819

Anne

minkydog
08-24-2005, 04:27 PM
No, they were not wearing robes, that is how I figured they were not receiving treatments, one was a boy about 6 and a girl about 4. They tried out each of the empty chairs, ate fruit--more like took bites or peeled it and ate one slice threw in trash, tried water, tried tea, played phone with the phone in the room, played tag and ate candy. I felt a bit annoyed with them but more sorry for them. Like I said they were young to be left alone and at WDW there is so much for them to do so as not to have to try to entertain themselves. I'm looking for an address to send the letter, but prior to doing so I wanted to check to see if that was normal for WDW. People who I spoke to at home said that they never experienced that in a spa though. It was in the upstairs relaxation room where you wiat in robes for your treatment time. In addition to the @ 4 and 6yo there was a little girl about 8 who patiently waited for her mom to have a treatment--again not in a robe, and one child in the changing area--they were leaving and I just figured she may have had a treatment with her Mom.

:scared1: I'm just thinking what might have happened if these little kids had fallen into the hot tub or accidentally gotten closed up in the sauna? Holy cow!! :earseek:

patsal
08-24-2005, 04:32 PM
:scared1: I'm just thinking what might have happened if these little kids had fallen into the hot tub or accidentally gotten closed up in the sauna? Holy cow!! :earseek:

they were not in that area--that is by the lockers downstairs at SS. They were in the upstairs part where you wait for your treatment time. But I agree, there was nothing stopping them from going to explore.

Anne, thanks, I mailed my letter.

LuluLovesDisney
08-24-2005, 05:35 PM
I agree, it's inappropriate and probably illegal since they are not qualified to be supervising children. I have gone to the GF Spa and there weren't any children to be seen anywhere.

skiwee1
08-24-2005, 05:56 PM
The spa I go to for monthly treatments and stuff doesn't even allow children in the building much less being in the waiting room!

johnsonet
08-24-2005, 06:09 PM
deleted

MissMellie
09-14-2005, 04:44 PM
I have made ressies for the GF Spa for myself on one day and then for my girls and I on another day. I was concerned about leaving my girls by themselves in the lounge if their treatments and done before mine so I made sure that we all started our treatments at the same time and that I finished just before they did....that way, they were not unsupervised even for a moment.

How can anyone leave children unattended and at that age? 4 and 6 are still very young. I mean, Disney is all magic and pixie dust but you should nevery trust 2 young children alone with a bunch of strangers....even at Disney.

I'm so sorry to hear your story.

twojo21
09-14-2005, 06:06 PM
ive never had that happen, in fact ive never seen a child at the spa at the grand floridian, akl zahanti health club or wl sturdy branches. i hope this was a freak occurance. kids just dont belong at the spa or in the spa lounge. we love going to the spa at wdw, its so relaxing, quiet & needed after a week of walking & getting back to the real world.

JulyGirl
09-14-2005, 08:38 PM
The spa I go to for monthly treatments and stuff doesn't even allow children in the building much less being in the waiting room!

Same here. If I'm paying big bucks for a spa treatment, I don't want to "babysit" other people's children!

momsgoofy
09-14-2005, 08:39 PM
Wow...I hope there aren't any unsupervised children there when DH and I have our spa time. I've never seen kids at our local spa, which does allow children 12 and up to have a few of the treatments.

A bit OT here, but for the pedicure treatments at SSR, do ya'll wear one of their robes or just street clothes. At home I tend to wear a pair of shorts...but all the talk about the sauna, jacuzzi, etc. makes me want to partake of those ammenities as well and because of that I'd think the robe might be nice. Any thoughts?

Also, does anyone have photos of the spa or know where I could find some?

Thanks!

LuluLovesDisney
09-15-2005, 08:11 PM
Wow...I hope there aren't any unsupervised children there when DH and I have our spa time. I've never seen kids at our local spa, which does allow children 12 and up to have a few of the treatments.

A bit OT here, but for the pedicure treatments at SSR, do ya'll wear one of their robes or just street clothes. At home I tend to wear a pair of shorts...but all the talk about the sauna, jacuzzi, etc. makes me want to partake of those ammenities as well and because of that I'd think the robe might be nice. Any thoughts?

Also, does anyone have photos of the spa or know where I could find some?

Thanks!

Several years ago, I got a pedicure at GF Spa and I was not offered a robe. Perhaps they wanted to save them for those getting massages, etc. However, I did bring a bathing suit because I wanted to enjoy the sauna and hot tub available to me there as well.

momsgoofy
09-15-2005, 08:17 PM
Several years ago, I got a pedicure at GF Spa and I was not offered a robe. Perhaps they wanted to save them for those getting massages, etc. However, I did bring a bathing suit because I wanted to enjoy the sauna and hot tub available to me there as well.

LuluLovesDisney...thanks for reply! I kind of wondered if that might be the case. I will remember to pack a small bag with my suit.

Thanks again!