PDA

View Full Version : Airfare/Resort Reservations/Tickets Timeline


EmmaAndQuinnsMommy
08-23-2005, 02:17 PM
Hi there!

I am new, so forgive me if this is a silly question. I have been reading these boards like mad and have probably forgotten about half of what I have read! :confused3

Anyway, I am wondering if someone could tell me the order to do things. We are planning for June 2006 (or maybe August 2006 depending on school schedules) and wonder if most people book the resort first (planning to get AAA), then the tickets through the Mousesavers link, and then wait until much closer to time to do the air travel? I saw that I can get air travel cheap now, but I didn't know if that was a bad idea to do that part first etc. Any advice on the reservations order.

Carrie in CT

Sammy
08-23-2005, 03:37 PM
I'm sure everyone does it a little differently, but here is what I do: I usually book the hotel first as that can be cancelled/changed with no penalty up to a certain point. When I know I have the hotel booked for the dates I want, I then start looking for airfare. If we are traveling during off-season, I wait for a time looking for sales. If I know we will be traveling during peak/school vacation, I will purchase air as soon as a reasonable fare is available....then hope for a sale/credit at a later date (usually fly Southwest or JetBlue). IMO, tickets can be purchased anytime.

Over the past 5 years of Disney trips, I had been getting pretty good at coordinating resort discounts with discount airfare; however.....now that my kids are older and don't want to miss much school, I'm relegated to traveling during peak/school vacation times (yuck!!), so pretty much have to take what I can get!

Good luck! It can certainly seem overwhelming at times, but there's lots of good information on these boards to help you out! :cheer2:

kelleigh1
08-23-2005, 03:47 PM
There are no silly questions!

I booked our resort first. I read somewhere around here that the best thing to do is the resort first because it can be changed or cancelled as the other poster said up until a certain point. I did purchase my park tickets at the same time because it made sense for us. I've also booked a rental car already because I was able to get a good deal and had some coupon codes which helped save even more.

We haven't booked our airfare yet because I'm watching the prices and because I could potentially use a free companion voucher but I want to see what will get us the best deal.

Our trip is scheduled for January 2006 - less than 150 days away!

calie_j
08-23-2005, 06:09 PM
For our end of Nov trip I booked the room first, in Jan since it was refundable. Then I started watching airfare and was ready to get it whenever a deal was available, I'm still not the best at this game and should have bought back in March. I'm waiting until the beginning of Oct to buy tickets, tho I did buy one AP and rebooked our rooms with best rate discount. Having tickets on the room key isn't important to me and I wanted to leave my options open for as long as possible in case an AP or package deal came out so I could easily book it. I also didn't see the sense in giving WDW close to $1000 to use all these months when I can keep it in my savings and earn 3% on it.

Calie