PDA

View Full Version : What are you buying your kids for Xmas?

LilMamiBella
08-23-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm trying to figure out how I want to do this this year.
My son ( who'll be 6 1/2) has a gamecube system, a nintendo 64 system, gameboy, and leapster. I'm thinking that we will probably sell the nintendo 64 system. He also has his own 13'' tv.
My son lives and breathes for games. That's all he ever talks about so I'm hesitant about buying any other video games for him.

My daughter ( 3 1/2) does not having any game systems. She will occasionally play with my son's games or leapster. I'm considering buying her a v-smile w/ a couple of games and maybe a princess tv and dvd player. She's still little though so maybe these choices aren't a good idea. I did ask her what she wanted for Xmas and she said," Spongebob toy, princess tv, dora something, blocks/legos, and cinderella movie."

So, my question is what are you buying your kids for Xmas? Do you think what I'm considering for my daughter is crazy? If you had my kids what would you buy them? lol Btw, we're also going to Disney the first part of December so I'm hoping not to spend too much on Christmas presents.

imsayin
08-23-2005, 11:46 AM
So, my question is what are you buying your kids for Xmas? Do you think what I'm considering for my daughter is crazy? If you had my kids what would you buy them? lol Btw, we're also going to Disney the first part of December so I'm hoping not to spend too much on Christmas presents.

Well since you asked... Personally, I think a TV for a child is ridiculous. My kids are 11 & 8, and they don't have TV's in their rooms (maybe when they are teens). At such a young age, kids are pretty much happy with anything. You can spend under $100 for a 3 y/o and get a lot of toys, IMO. I'd give them $30 to spend at Disney and tell them that was my X-mas present to them. Then, I'd have Santa bring some toys.

d-man's mom
08-23-2005, 11:47 AM
I'm buying my ds a trip to Disneyworld! lol!

We will be there Dec 13-17th.

Otherwise, I have picked up a few things already- spiderman puzzle, a "learn how to read" type pocket game for the car, and some Mr Incredible stuff that I just bought at Disney Direct. I will probably pick up some PJ's, a few books, and that will be it. My mom overbuys since he is her only grandchild, so I don't buy much myself. He knows that our big gift for his birthday and Christmas is our trip.

I am anti-tv, so I'm not the person to ask about tv and game systems! The learning game I bought is the first electronic game of any kind that my son will have (and isn't a leappad style with cartridges, etc). We don't have cable, and other than watching 20min of Sesame Street before school, the tv is hardly ever on. I keep it in a cabinet with the doors shut and am hoping someday when it breaks I can replace it with a tank of exotic fish. :flower:

I personally would buy the Dora stuff, Leggos, and the Cinderella movie for those rainy/snowy days, but not a tv or games.

I'm sure they will love whatever you decide to buy them! :) Why not let them pick out something when they are at disney?

mrsbornkuntry
08-23-2005, 11:51 AM
To be honest, I really don't think that kids should have tv's in their rooms, it encourages them to watch too much and you can't monitor what they're watching or how much. That being said, my kids have asked for tv's this year and will probably get them :rotfl: , but they are older and I'm having a problem with my older kids wanting to watch shows for their age then my preschooler is always getting left out because they don't get alot of tv time anyway.

My 4yo DS is getting Pop-Onz (I got them for half off and he really wanted some) and a leapster, and a few other things I'm not sure of yet. My other kids all have game boys and we have one playstation 2 that is for our whole family and until it breaks or we can't buy games for it anymore it will be the only game system in our house. I'm old fashioned, but I think the kids should play outside and play with toys, not sit in front of a screen. The only reason they have the games they have is because DH is on their side! I like to take the kids through the toy aisles at the store and see what they're really interested in, that seems to work better than the commercials on tv where everything looks cool to them. I also look at what the preschool has that they really like, like wooden blocks, my kids LOVE those, but never would've asked for them. Art supplies are good (and cheap), too. I almost always buy Crayola washable because they actually do wash out of EVERYTHING.

Since your daughter wants a princess tv, maybe you could get her something else princess instead. I don't know if that helps any, just my 2 cents.

Lisa loves Pooh
08-23-2005, 11:51 AM
personally--I'm not into electronic gaming itmes. I always thought they were for older children--I think we were 8 or older before we got exposed to video games and stuff. Good ol' fashioned atari!

Our girls will never have a television either--but that is our family choice. Of course they have their own computer--just b/c hubby owns many--and doesn't want his pc used for kid games. But it is monitored and kept in the living room.

For my girls we are considering from American girl....

for my 5yo--bitty baby with accessories

for my will be 3yo--the bitty twins.

kath1210
08-23-2005, 12:05 PM
My kids read this board, so I have to be careful. ;)

However, even though my kids are 11 and 14, Santa still visits our house. He brings 3 gifts per child, just like the Baby Jesus received from the wise men. (I don't want to argue about what the Bible actually says about this - this idea was a real godsend to me, especially when the kids were smaller and Christmas was getting out of hand.)

This year, my kids are getting a trip to Disney World ::MickeyMo from Mom and Dad, plus a few items we buy on or for our trip , plus whatever Santa brings.

LilMamiBella
08-23-2005, 12:06 PM
I just wanted to say that the tv that my son has doesn't get any channels. Its only for video games. We are going to Disney and we're still saving for it. So I don't want to spend so much $$$ on Christmas like I did last year ( about $2000).
My daughter has the bitty twins but she doesn't really play with them much. I'm not sure if I want to sell them or just wait and see if maybe later she'll play with them more.
V-smile is supposed to be educational and for kids ages 3-7 so I thought that would be better than a regular game system.

ckoncurat
08-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Personally, I avoid anything that encourages my kids to veg out in front of the TV. We have only two TVs in our house (one with no cable for just watching movies), one computer, and one Xbox system that belongs to my DH and is used only occasionally on weekends. (I have 5 girls, ages 2-8.) No other electronic toys. My girls get art supplies, polly pockets, my little ponys, barbies, stuffed animals etc. We have numerous dollhouses, and they always need new people/animals/furniture. My three year old also REALLY loves dress-up clothes. Each girl gets 3 gifts from us (santa), plus a few extra things for extended family. My 4 year old will also get an american girl TYPE doll this year (from Target). My older girls have favorite dolls, so they will get clothes for them.

To be honest, Christmas is always a dilema for me- I would feel guilty if they missed out on something they REALLY wanted, but I am also trying not to steal their joy by giving TOO MUCH.

Lisa loves Pooh
08-23-2005, 12:12 PM
I personally like the leap pad products--v-smile looked like it hooked up to the television...and while probably educational...it just lays the foundation for videogaming. Of course I guess leap pad does it as well.

So I don't know.

I'm just not a video gaming kind of gal. But if I had to choose--a portable handheld system would be what I would get if I were to get one.

beattyfamily
08-23-2005, 12:18 PM
Come on people, give the OP a break! She asked what gifts Santa's buying for kids this year, not whether her almost 7 year old should have a TV or not.

So what if he has a TV dedicated to video games? She also never said it was in his bedroom, not that that matters anyway. That's not what this thread is about. Keep your judgements to yourself and stick to the question at hand. My goodness. :rolleyes:

Anyway, my girls also love games, especially my 6 year old. We have Xbox and they each have a gameboy and then there's computer games. They have lots of games...but maybe I'll get them some more if any good kids ones come out before Christmas.

So far I can't think of anything big to get them yet, just some small things. The toy commercials haven't started yet! They will soon enough though!

I usually get them a bunch of smaller things, not really one big thing. More fun on Christmas morning.

I usually spend about $300 each approximately. Of course, it depends.

Good luck deciding!!

imsayin
08-23-2005, 12:26 PM
Come on people, give the OP a break! She asked what gifts Santa's buying for kids this year, not whether her almost 7 year old should have a TV or not.

Part of her question is deciding whether to get a 3 1/2 y/o a TV & DVD player. I think that invites opinions on TVs for kids. (not judgement, just opinions).

PhoohWhoWho
08-23-2005, 12:32 PM
My girls are set on a dollar amount $100 each pluse 2 shared gifts
I have gotten Haley (4.5) so far a new bike, pjs, swimming suit for next year, Princess dress up clothes, wiggs, and shoes Her and the other two love to dress up!
Katie(2.5) is getting a new bike, My little pony stuff, and movies
Emily(1.5) is getting Little people toys bath toys and a new bike!
Haley is done except her birthday present(12/27). Katie needs 2 more things and her birthday present(12/31). Emily she needs a few more things but i think she will be just happy with the paper!

dismom9761
08-23-2005, 12:34 PM
I am not really sure what we are buying but I do have a few ideas.
DS10-Wants new skateboard,Kids' Illustrated magazine subscription,shox
DS8-Skateboard,cowboy boots
DD6-bike and helmet,clothes for bitty baby and her American Girl doll
DD1-she will almost be two and needs more age appropriate toys.
These are just a few things they have mentioned.

beattyfamily
08-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Part of her question is deciding whether to get a 3 1/2 y/o a TV & DVD player. I think that invites opinions on TVs for kids. (not judgement, just opinions).

I missed the part about what she might get the 3 year old. I was focusing on the 7 year old and his TV. My mistake.

I still think some are being a bit harsh, but that's just me.

HayGan
08-23-2005, 12:44 PM
My kids are getting a trip to Disney World :cool1: We have told them already that Santa will be sending some Disney $$'s for them to spend at WDW. We will likely pick up a few things while we are there and save them for Christmas (which is only 2 weeks after we get back.)

While my kids do have PS2, we really limit the amount of time they play with it. They both have leapsters which get alot of use and have taught them alot. We have a V-smile but they kids aren't to into that one. How about getting your daughter her own leapster with the Dora game (this is one of my kids favorites.) You could also get her some princess costumes/accessories and maybe a cute little tea set for pretend play. As for your son, since he has so many indoor things, how about something like a scooter or new bike to get him out of the house for awhile (if you live in a colder climate where it snows, how about a cool sled.) Other suggestions are a soccer or baseball or basketball set.

Santa has always left a TRU gift certificate for each of our kids so they could go and pick out something special.

kilee
08-23-2005, 12:48 PM
I think if you want to buy your dd the TV-- then do it. My son has a TV in his room (he's 12). It's for his PS2. Also, we monitor how much time he has. Just as in life there's a good balance to everything. He does well in school, participates in many sports, and would rather play outside than watch the TV.

Since you asked what we are buying-- DS wants an electric guitar and amp w/ lessons. So that is what I am getting him. He will also get clothing too. As we only buy some school clothing to last him until Christmas.

EthansMom
08-23-2005, 12:51 PM
My kids are each getting Lands End bean bag chairs from Mom and Dad. Santa is bringing DD1.5 a Cabbage Patch Doll and bringing some Creatrix and something else little for DS4. Santa also stuffs the kids' stockings with DVDs, stuffed animals, age-appropriate computer games for DS, more track for DS's Thomas set, and one candy for each child.

Personally, I don't see any reason for a 3 year old to have his/her own t.v. There are lots of educational games you could get DD for the computer -- my DS has Disney, Blues Clues, and Hot Wheels games, which are all great. We also have a couple of the old Atari games that hook directly to the t.v. -- the single player, pre-loaded ones -- DS loves to play Dig-Dug and Pac Man.

If you're asking for advice on what to get your kids, then I would recommend a gift certificate for your son so he could pick out one or two new games on his own. And I would get your daughter the blocks and cinderella movie that she asked for and some educational games for the computer -- Dora, Blues Clues, etc..

Tnkrbelle565
08-23-2005, 12:57 PM
WOW...I am so shocked at how many people are getting such a jump ahead on Christmas shopping! I was impressed that I've gotten a lot of gifts for DD's bday in October already!!! BTW, she will be two and is getting the Disney Princess dress up trunk, a Mrs. Potato Head (we will be getting some extra Disney accessories on our trip), and Dora's talking backpack. She will also be getting her Halloween costume (which DH and I have decided will always be part of her bday gift since her bday is the week before).

Any gift ideas for Christmas for a 2 year old? She loves Little People (but has pretty much all of them) and her dolls. She is also a Disney freak (I've created a monster!) and has recently gotten into Dora. Hearing her try to speak Spanish is a riot! Her big present last Christmas was the Disney Princess kitchen and she uses that daily (cooking for all her babies!) so if anyone is looking for an idea for a toddler girl- I highly suggest it.

LilMamiBella
08-23-2005, 12:58 PM
I was thinking about a skateboard set for my son. But, I'm not sure if he'd play with it. He has a bike but the tires need air. I even thought about getting my daughter a regular small bike. But she doesn't really know how to ride a bike that well. Maybe some legos for the kids?
I'm not sure if I want to get rid of the two game systems or keep one. I've read the responses and I do agree that he needs to be out more playing. We even bought them a new wooden playset; so lately they've been playing with it. I think we'll go to toys r us and the kids can let me know what they want Santa to get them.

lillygator
08-23-2005, 01:04 PM
I am not sure what DD's will be getting...I do have a few things already in the closet but will be xmas shopping here soon. They will be 3 and 10 months - so the baby is pretty easy a couple little age appropriate toys and DD 3, I don't know yet.

They always get a new ornament and pj's xmas eve...that way when they grown up and move on they will have their own set of ornaments!

carone0318
08-23-2005, 01:12 PM
My opinion on the games and stuff for the OP is that I have a dd (8) and a ds (4). My dd will play with her game boy here and there and the gamecube, but it is my ds that lives and breathes for the game boy and gamecube. I think it's a boy thing, the electronics and such. My dd loved when she was 2 and 3 the My Little Ponies, she had cartons of them. She also likes art and crafts sort of stuff. My suggestion would be to give her the hand me downs of electronics from your ds until you know for sure if she is really into them before you spend at least $100 for them for her. Nothing worse than spending that kind of money and then they don't use the stuff.

As for me, I am doing pretty good with the shopping. Our big gift to the kids is an air hockey table for their game room. I got some stuff from disney direct and disney deals for them too. I also will do disney dollars. Still have to get some clothes and boards games still - I'm watching for the big sale to come along.

imsayin
08-23-2005, 01:12 PM
Maybe some legos for the kids?

Do you have a Target nearby? They have the cutest Playmobil dollhouse toys this year. They would be great for a 3 y/o girl.

LisaNJ25
08-23-2005, 01:14 PM
I am not sure yet but I know I am not going crazy. I am thinking about a Gameboy SP for my 6yo.

Not sure yet for my 13yo.

Than I will have my 16 month old and 4 month old. They will get diapers lol. I dont have rom for a zillion toys.

My 6yo already has the v-smile and likes it.

blondimom
08-23-2005, 01:19 PM
Right off the bat, for every holiday/birthday, I buy my boys a $100 savings bond. Right now, they are 3 and 2, so toys mostly just pile up. I do buy them a few toys though-I try to keep them educational, so I just have to see what's out there..Oh, but I did order the "Wobblers" set-they love the ones we got from the cereal boxes, so that'll be a nice side gift. :smooth:

tikilyn
08-23-2005, 01:21 PM
My dd will be 5 when Christmas comes around! I have already bought her an Easy Bake Oven with the 20 extra pieces, and just today I bought her from DisneyDirect a princess table with an unbrellia and two chairs (we'll put this in her room like a little bistro table set to get with her room). My dd has a 13in tv in our playroom but has asked that either the birthday fairy or Santa "Please bring her a princess tv so she can put it in her room so baby brother can't change the channels! her words, very cute) So dh and I decided that we'll get her the tv for her birthday present and the matching DVD player for Christmas. Oh and we are also getting her the vsmile game system for her for Christmas. The one big present that Santa is bringing will be a Little Tikes play house for the back yard! She's going to love it.

Our Ds 2 1/2 will be getting a Little Tikes something to go with DD playhouse. (One for each). Since he is still little we'll probable go cheap with him. He won't notice!!

If you feel that your dd is ready for a Tv then get her one. You are the parent and you get to set up the rules for the TV. I don't see how it will get outta hand with you and your dh monitor what she is watching!!

JMO
Sabrina

patsal
08-23-2005, 01:47 PM
DS (14) is getting a Gibson Les Paul electric guitar, amp and bag--this is not inexpensive. He'll get a stocking and perhaps a few small items.

DD (10) is getting a bed for her American Girl doll and maybe one other piece of furniture, a few DVD's, a chair for her room, some Bath and Body works items, sneakers (a want not a need), maybe a video game. Of course a stocking as well.

All nieces and nephews are getting something useful or savings bonds. Christmas eve at my Mother's looks like a department store gone wild and I'd like to put things back into some semblance of sanity. Trying to expalin to my parents that we are just blessed to be able to be together and that the quantity of "lovely gifts and prizes" are unimportant. Maybe if I go only bearing one shopping bag per family rather than a shopping bag per person I will start a new trend--either that or they will all call me cheap--either way I'm prepared. :rolleyes:

Tay N Evie's Mom
08-23-2005, 02:02 PM
My 7yo twins are going to get TV's with built in DVD players for Xmas and new bikes for their 8th Birthdays (in March). I don't have a problem with them having a TV in their rooms now that they are a little older-I think 3 1/2 is a little young. My kids are smart, athletic, love to play games, read, and do art projects. I don't think they'll be watching any more TV than they currently do. They love to ride their bikes and played organized ball this year and went swimming every week. I feel that they get enough exercise and encourage them to get outside and play. I grew up with a TV in my room and I'm slim, athletic and interested in things other than TV (just let me watch All My Children and Desperate Housewives and I'm happy!). DH and DS love to play X BOX. It must be a guy thing. I don't care to play video games and DD will play occasionally. I made a rule this summer-no X BOX unless it was raining outside. We had a drought in Illinois, so the X BOX got little use.

As I'm writing this, DS just came in to show me his latest creation he made with his Legos and DD is waiting for me to get off the computer so we can bake with her Easy Bake Oven. They could be watching TV right now, but I've raised them to know that there's things other than TV out there. You do what's right for your kids and don't worry what others think.

ntburns22
08-23-2005, 02:08 PM
My daughter ( 3 1/2) does not having any game systems. She will occasionally play with my son's games or leapster. I'm considering buying her a v-smile w/ a couple of games and maybe a princess tv and dvd player. She's still little though so maybe these choices aren't a good idea. I did ask her what she wanted for Xmas and she said," Spongebob toy, princess tv, dora something, blocks/legos, and cinderella movie."

We got the vsmile for my DD last year and she loves it! Some of the games listed for ages 3-5 may be challenging in the beginning for her. They just came out with some new games like Cindy,Jasmine,Toy Story 2, and The Wiggles. The Ariel game is really cute too.

8 Ears
08-23-2005, 02:08 PM
I am going to support the OP for getting her DD a TV :goodvibes with that said there are plenty of ways to "monitor" what your child is watching First of all we tell them they are living in our house and they are our resposnibility and have access to their rooms at all times :earseek: We often just pop our heads into to see what they are doing. One does not have to have the TV hooked up to cable. It can be just for movies/games. If it is on cable then you can do things such as use the "parent control" so they can only watch the channels you have programed in. :rotfl: Put the TV up high; even hanging from the ceiling and they do not have access to the remote. They have to ask to have it changed, use the "timer" when it goes off they are done. :) Tell them they can only watch for so many shows/hours, so much in a week, not during the school week.

We found that at first they spent lots of time using them, but even the 13 year old still comes out to see what we are up to.

Oops, :rolleyes: looks like I am raving.... do what works for you and your family. :grouphug:

threeboysmom
08-23-2005, 02:16 PM
This thread has me thinking about Christmas now.... I really need help on what to get my sons, two of which are teenagers (gulp). They definitely do need another computer game or video game - trying to steer them away from those types of things. Anybody have any creative ideas for teen boys that is not TV or music related??

We look to spend about $150 per son if that helps. Last year I ended up just giving them each a stocking with small gifts and cash to spend because I couldn't think of anything else, plus we were at WDW for Christmas and didn't want to be lugging gifts down and then back again. Not sure if I should just do that again or not....

ntburns22
08-23-2005, 02:23 PM
My sister and I till this day say our best Christmas as teens was when we got cash. They got us little everyday things we needed and taped money to it. For example a $20 wrapped around hairspray, $50 around deodorant, and so on. It was great to go shopping during Christmas Break during all the sales and being able to get twice as much since it was all on sale. As for my own kids we are totally clueless this year. They have too much as it is.

got2lovedisney
08-23-2005, 02:28 PM
DD17 wants a digital camera this year.

OP...if you want to get your daughter the Princess TV...go for it!! If my daughter didn't already have a TV (which she got at about age 3-4 ;-p ) I'd be getting her one of those too cuz they're too cute! Bottom line...you know YOUR kids and know what's is appropriate for them. Don't let the naysayers sway you.

8 Ears
08-23-2005, 02:32 PM
We bought them (11 and 14 will be) a printer and what nots for their non-internet hooked up computer. Then we are giving them $100.00 bill. We used to take them to Toy r' Us and have them write down things they REALLY wanted. They have asked DS11 for several GB games. We did not get any as we have to have something on a list for aunts, uncles, grands... and DS who will be 14 :guilty: only wants good old $$$ cash. They have a few videos they would like but with the $$ from us they can either purchase themselves or put them on their wish list for family. :wizard: We did not buy any of those either so they could put them on the list and who knows if they will want them come December?! :cold:

How about certificates to the movies to rent or go see? Oldest DS has a cell phone :earseek: , now wait and let me explain!!!! :badpc: , it is only for Mom, such and such is running late, do you mind picking/taking so and so home? He was running late one night with a friend and his Dad and he called to say they were stopping for supper so would be even later. BUT I knew he was OK and where he was..... he will get some time for it. How about a pass to sports games at their HS, one to get into so many games? :confused3 Gift cards/ certificates to their favorite clothing store.

Hope I have given you some ideas :rolleyes1

mamalle
08-23-2005, 03:02 PM
Mine both have TV/DVD players in their room and when there is quiet time they may stay in there and watch a movie. dd loves TLC and enjoys a baby story and gets to watch it the afternoon after she finishes her homework. ds may watch a power ranger movie on occasion but for the most part thats about the extent of it besides when they have a sleepover or use it with their V-smile.. okay onto christmas gift :sunny:

dd is getting whatever new Barbie Princess Dolls come out. I think Its Pegasaus this year. The Princess tent, Princess clothing, Bathing suits from Disney, Princess Chalkboard, Littlest Pets, Princess Phone, the 50th anniversary Disneyland Castle and clothing.

ds is getting some imaginex dinosaurs, PR backpack, PR sleeping bag, PR tent, Buzz walkie talkies, clothing and suits from disney, rescue heros sets, PR race track and SPD SWAT truck.

I have Disney to thank for most of their gifts as I watch the sales and put them away for the holidays. Im almost done! :banana:

they both will get a Vsmile game to add to their collection as it looks like a few new ones are coming out!

Mac and Us
08-23-2005, 03:19 PM
I haven't added it up but I know that I saved a lot of $ from shopping at Disney Direct!

We tell her that she can only ask Santa for 2 things because he has so many kids to deliver presents to. We told her that sometimes Santa brings more if you are extra good.

We go to Santa's Village every Memorial Day weekend. That's when the "Santa's watching you" starts. It works pretty well right now. She'll be 4 in November so who knows how much longer that will last.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I'm almost done with her birthday and Christmas shopping (need a few stocking stuffs & Disney $'s).

JMSMommy
08-23-2005, 03:28 PM
We are doing the 3 gifts from Santa thing too. ;)

Decided against the playstation 2 or 3 from us...not sure now what to get, but it will be some "joint" gift. DS6 will get a book, DS2 will get a board book (both Christmas themed).

From "Santa" they'll each get $25 or $25 savings bond, DS6 will get a microscope and kit, DS2 will get Cranium Hullabaloo, then they will each get a "fun" toy that they really really want. Best guess, DS6 will want Legos, and DS2 will want Mega Blocks Pirate Ship. I'm waiting until October/November when commercials hit and they suddenly can't live without some toy or other. :rotfl2:

Stockings will probably have a Disney DVD movie in them, small "toys" like Hot Wheels, and a piece of candy (Mini M&Ms are their favorites).

PaulaSue
08-23-2005, 04:02 PM
I usually do themes for grown ups each year.

This year for my girls I am also using that idea. Since we are going on our first trip to Disney I have a bunch of stuff gathered already from sales at the Disney store and TRU for them. (Each person going (my parents and ILs too)is getting a basket of goddies realted to Disney like a shirt and ponchos and water bottle.)

For my DD's I am doing 2 disney t-shirts each, disney stickers, their autograph albums they helped me make, a special pen for the album, disney dollars, glow sticks from target clearence. My budget is about $50 each kid. Sales really help that stretch and the good advice from the budget board and codes.

I also have a mini Disneyplayset and a matching Disney playmat from the TRU clearence as a group gift for them.

I have a bunch of other little stuff like the notebooks and pencils and princess dolls from the dollar store earlier this year but I am keeping them for tinkerbelle gifts for our trip. I also just bought them new dress-up costumes but they will be kept new for the meals so I don't consider them part of christmas. My plan is to go to 2 special meals and now with the 4 I just bought and what I have, I should be good for those events. :rotfl: IT is my dream trip and I want them to feel like princesses all week, they are all the time in my heart.

talicskai
08-23-2005, 04:35 PM
My kids love the Disney Charades board game and the Disney trivia game. Also my DD6 received the Disney Spinning Wishes game for her bday and loved it! Also, any type of Monopoly game with any theme is a huge hit in our house. Just wanted to give some other ideas. I am not one for the kids having too many games either but when they go to bed ~ I get out the gameboys and play Tetris til all hours of the night~!!!!! shhhhhhhh.

:rotfl2:

No wonder their battery always needs to be charged! :rotfl:

Teresa :flower:

LilMamiBella
08-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Just came back from toys r us:

dd age 3 1/2 liked:

sleeping beauty barbie

stuff for her Dora house- Dora suv, fairytale castle, nursery set w/ babies

Princess phone and answering machine

cinderella movie ( already preordered)

Son age 6 1/2 liked:

Lego pirate ship

batmobile remote control car

gotham city playset

operation shrek board game

disney sorry game

playdough batman thing

Spongebob karate choppers

We didn't even look at the video games. My dh and I are going to talk about what we're going to do re: video games/tv's. I told my ds that he would have to give away some of his toys if he wants new ones from Santa.

kath1210
08-23-2005, 04:54 PM
My sister and I till this day say our best Christmas as teens was when we got cash. They got us little everyday things we needed and taped money to it. For example a $20 wrapped around hairspray, $50 around deodorant, and so on. It was great to go shopping during Christmas Break during all the sales and being able to get twice as much since it was all on sale.

One of the neatest gifts I got as a teen was a Christmas cash tree from from grandmother. She decorated a small Christmas tree with bills rolled up and tied to colored ribbons. I loved it, and kept the tree for years after. She's been gone a long time now, but she was the best (and I did not love her because of her material gifts - she gave us so much time and love.) Great memories! :sunny:

I think teens love cash not because they are greedy, but because it represents a kind of freedom for them. :banana:

HALEYSMOMMOM
08-23-2005, 05:08 PM
I am not sure yet but I know I am not going crazy. I am thinking about a Gameboy SP for my 6yo.

Not sure yet for my 13yo.

Than I will have my 16 month old and 4 month old. They will get diapers lol. I dont have rom for a zillion toys.

My 6yo already has the v-smile and likes it.

Hi, I know its none of my business, and maybe you were just kidding, but it makes me sad to think of a 16mo old & 4mo old, even though they don't know, with nothing but diapers for Christmas. And I understand the room thing, we also don't have enough room, but please get them something, even if it is a small beanie baby or whatever.

Just a mommy of small children putting in her 2 cents.

twoeeyy
08-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Our daughter will be turning 13 while at WDW. She will be getting a digital camera a few weeks before we leave for the trip so she can learn the various settings on it. She is HUGE into scrapbooking. About once a month she has a scrapbooking sleep over, its so cute the girls stay up all hours of the night quiet as churchmice doing nothing but scrapbooking. plus the trip was suspose to be her present :rotfl:

For Xmas she will be getting an I-POD. plus other minor stuff.

I do agree that when they are younger it seems to be a lot cheaper and possibly easier to buy gifts for them.

But the plus side to her getting older is she goes shopping with my husband who is horrible at picking out stuff ( one year all my gifts came from Home Depot and at that time we did not own our own house yet :rotfl2: ) and she does all the deciding on what Mommy would like and always does and amazing job....

marcyinPA
08-23-2005, 08:09 PM
We have never gone all out crazy on Christmas gifts. My boys are 6 and 10, and this year, I think the 6 year old will get some Playmobil stuff (he loves it!), a Leapster game, a larger Magnetix set, and swimming lessons. My 10 year old will be getting an Eagles parka (I've had it stored for 2 years...got it for a steal at Kohl's end of season), an Eagles winter hat, a PS2 game, and probably some tickets to a hockey game.

I usually spend no more than $150 each on them for Christmas.

And add me to the list of those who think a t.v. in a kids' room is ridiculous. My 10 year old has asked, and I say NO WAY every time. We have 3 t.v.'s in our house, and the PS2 is hooked up in our family room. There is no need to have one in his own room.

babytrees
08-23-2005, 11:30 PM
The tv we gave our daughters for their birthday when they turned 2 & 6 was a godsend to me...didn't have to watch barney if I didn't want to...now it's in my room because they never asked for it back after they lost privilidges :rotfl2:. It makes for a great girls night in mom's room as they are 13 and 9 now.

They normally only get one present and stockings from santa because they have 6 grandmas and not everyone in the world is so lucky. This is usually a big present...last year was karoake machine(13 yo) and gameboy(9yo..was told by her OT that this would be great for hand eye coordination or she would have never gotten it!!) But through great deals I found they combined to less than $100.

This year only santa is coming the girls have given up presents from mom & dad other than the usual ornament for our first trip to WDW next summer. We never spend more than $500 for all of our gifts for the entire family. Santa is planning on bringing them a portable dvd player for the trip and a dvd for each girl special(found one today for $90 :banana: )

As someone else said the kids will love it because you got it for them. You know your kids best.

Brier Rose
08-23-2005, 11:52 PM
Well I cast my vote FOR the princess TV!

Both of my kids have had TV/VCR in thier rooms since about 3 years old, and I can assure you they have not suffered because of it. Though, DS is a little PS2 crazy. That's just what he's into, and I'm OK with that. I think it's ridiculous to have to fight over the "big" TV in the living room. If I want to watch something in there, why shouldn't they be able to watch something they like too??

And BTW, I really don't see that much difference between playing a game on the computer and playing one on TV. Some people seen to be OK with one, but not with the other.:confused3

As far as the Leapster goes DS has one of those too. I love all of the EDUCATIONAL choices for games, and can honestly say he has picked up a lot by playing them.

He also has a gameboy now, but he and DD both will be getting PSP's for Christmas.

People can say what they want, but both of my kids are active, healthy, and smart to boot. Imagine that after all of that corruption...GEEZ! :rolleyes:

CourtasanSatine
08-24-2005, 01:37 AM
I'll be 26 once Christmas rolls around and to be honest I plan on asking for cash and electronic equipment(IPod, DVD's and the like)

grlpwrd
08-24-2005, 02:25 AM
I don't like getting our kids tv or other tech toys as gifts, but realistically technology is a major part of our future. Exposure to technology is a good thing, but, of course, not its overuse or abuse, for that matter.

Look at all of us here on the computer - on the DIS boards. :teeth: We all have to learn how to limit how often we use the tv, computer, or tech toys so in that respect I think it's a good idea to start them young. There is virtue in them knowing how to plan and use tech time and "toys" in their lives starting at a young age. Just so long they are able to get in other priorities in their life, like schoolwork, exercise, etc., and used in moderation then I don't think it would pose a problem.

As to answer your question...

Our 14yo, 10yo, and 7yo will be getting a simple PDA for fun and time management skills. They will also get creative toys, like a gift basket of cooking items because they have started cooking this summer, an art set, and things like that. Please keep in mind we bought them items throughout the year because that is how we are, like their bikes plus cell phones and basic digital cameras for the eldest two.

Our 2yo and 2mo will get fun toys like blocks, a train table, and items from the Disney Store.

Yes, you know your kids best.

Disneyglobegirl
08-24-2005, 06:35 AM
I say go for the princess TV! BOTH my kids have tv's in their rooms - they are not hooked up to cable but are there for them to watch thier movies and play games. I am the one that buys or rents the movies and games so I do not have to worry about what they are watching. Also they do not watch it or play games everyday - infact I bet they only use the TV maybe once a week. I get my kids outside and keep them active. I am so tired of people flaming others for kids having TV's in their rooms. It is all about limits. The kids have TV's and we have never had a problem.

ChrisLei
08-24-2005, 06:42 AM
Well since you asked... Personally, I think a TV for a child is ridiculous. My kids are 11 & 8, and they don't have TV's in their rooms (maybe when they are teens). At such a young age, kids are pretty much happy with anything. You can spend under $100 for a 3 y/o and get a lot of toys, IMO. I'd give them $30 to spend at Disney and tell them that was my X-mas present to them. Then, I'd have Santa bring some toys.

I am also in the anti-TV in a child's room group. They watch enough TV in the family room. And then they have one in thier room too. Not only that, but it kind of pushes them to be in thier room away from thier family so young and so soon. The teen years come on too fast, I prefer not to rush that behavior.

Southern4sure
08-24-2005, 07:42 AM
To get back on topic... ;) Suggestions for christmas right?

Is your son a reader? Buy the Captain Underpants collection of books by Dav Pilkey. http://www.pilkey.com/index.php These books are hilarious. My DS9 began reading these around 7 1/2 yrs old but if he is a reader, this would be great. How about a variety of gift certs for Barnes & Noble or Books-A-Million, movie theater and ect.? The skateboard is a good idea. My kids love their trampoline. That could be a combo gift and get them outdoors.

3DisneyKids
08-24-2005, 07:53 AM
I'm not flaming you, but I disagree with having a tv in any child's room.

BTW, I DO have your kids...LOL..6 yo son, 4 yo dd, and 3 yo DD.

I know you said that he doesn't get channels (just for games), but the issue isn't with "tv watching"...the issue is with "screen time" (whether tv, computer, gaming, etc.). This is what needs to be limited nationwide.

And since you said that your DS is obsessed with games, why would you want to start your DD on that path?

I always go with games/toys that stimulate the imagination. I get them lots of dress-up stuff (even for my son...love to be Buzz, Spiderman, etc.) They all get dressed up and then work together for a LONG time to put on a "play" for me and DH! It is hilarious to watch them do it...and this happens often.

DS, in particular, loves K'nex...again, this stimulates imagination, works on fine motor skills, and is FUN (not intended to be a "learning toy" but has lots of benefits). Also, he spends quite a while at it.

I know you are saying "but my kids don't do that kind of stuff..." I think they WILL if you get rid of the screen time.

Just my two cents...

Good luck!

ceecee
08-24-2005, 08:25 AM
I will not buy my DD a TV either, she is 9. We want her to be with us in the evenings watching TV (when we get the chance!) not in her room.
She wants the new Gameboy this year......she has a Gameboy Advance and a Gameboy SP and hardly plays with either of them.
I think for a younger child a Leapster or Leap Pad are good choices. The one toy DD really played with was her Leap Pad. Never touched the Pixter though. At 3 my DD was happiest with stuffed animals! She still loves Build-A-Bear.
I don't agree with letting kids play video games all the time either. My DD has always had to read to get TV/Computer time. She started reading at 4 with Hooked On Phonics (we loved doing that together) and she now reads at 6th grade level and she is just starting 4th. She really loved the Lemonity Snickett book series last year and read all the Magic Tree House and Animal Ark books several years ago.
We have a trampoline with enclosure that she and her friends use all summer. That would be a good gift depending on where you live, they are marking them down here for the season.

3DisneyKids
08-24-2005, 08:36 AM
We didn't even look at the video games. My dh and I are going to talk about what we're going to do re: video games/tv's. I told my ds that he would have to give away some of his toys if he wants new ones from Santa.

Here is what we do to get rid of old toys before Christmas...

We walk through the whole house with the kids and have them choose the toys that they no longer play with (or that another child will get more enjoyment out of, etc.) and on Christmas Eve we put the OLD toys under the tree (and they know these are for children who don't have much).

This REALLY helps them with the giving aspect of Christmas and also helps them realize how fortunate they are.

Then, late at night the old toys go to Good Will and we put out the Christmas presents.

Once they are too old for Santa, we will have them go with us to the Children's Shelter to deliver the used toys (and some new ones, too!).

luckofthedraw
08-24-2005, 08:38 AM
In our house, Santa is bringing GameBoy SP's for both kids. Grandparents are giving money to buy the games with. Our *first* trip to DisneyWorld is our family gift.

Aside from that, I've squirreled away a few presents to open on Christmas, and the elves need to finish going shopping. (We have Santa's elves bring small surprise every night between Thanksgiving and 12/23). Santa needs some stocking stuffers too...or so I hear!

CheapMom
08-24-2005, 08:39 AM
My kids are getting bikes. The baby is getting a Big Wheel. BTW- my 2 older kids have TVs in their rooms- no cable and they are vchipped against TV14 and up. They only watch the TVs in their rooms a couple times a week. If we had cable they would definately veg out to cartoon network- that is why we got rid of it. If we watch TV in the evenings- we do it together in the family room.

cindybelle
08-24-2005, 08:42 AM
I'm glad there are others who like to get a jump on the holiday shopping. I hate waiting until the last minute! And I NEVER do the day after Thanksgiving shopping.....I'd rather spend more than deal with that chaos...but that' just me ;)

Ok, onto the real subject. We only have one child. Our DD is 3 and I'm already looking into buying her the Loving Family Doll House. She also loves painting and drawing....so I'm thinking about getting her a child easel and supplies. We're also going to Disney the first couple weeks of December so I'm sure I'll get a couple of things then too :jumping1:

Good luck on your decision.....and it is your decision....do what you feel is right for your kids and family :wave2:

lillygator
08-24-2005, 09:50 AM
I did get some costumes from DD that I planned on giving DD for xmas but don't know if I can wait that long. She will be getting Cinderella DVD for her bday (Halloween) so can't use that for xmas. I will probably look in to one of those small electronic educational games...the last one I checked out was $90 but prices may have changed.

Clancycat
08-24-2005, 02:24 PM
The only thing I know for sure is a doll house for my 4 & 5 yr old dds, and maybe leapsters. I haven't decided on the rest yet.

Oh, I just remembered that I did also get them the princess fleece robes w/ their names embroidered on them & the Princess Karaoke machine from the Disney Store sale earlier in the summer.

Disneyglobegirl
08-24-2005, 02:40 PM
Has anyone seen the new Furby's yet? They might be a good one for Christmas. My DD saw them at Walmart the other day and she wants one for her Bday. They are pretty cute - bigger than the original ones.

Nik's Mom
08-24-2005, 04:12 PM
Last year we bought one of those bouncers from Toys R us. I think it was $149 and was large enough fomr me and the kids to bounce in! They have them shaped like a castle, a princess castle, spider man, and a plain one. I bought the castle one (used primary colors-good for boys and girls) with slide. It is the best present we have given them! They jump like crazy in it! And it's great exercise. :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

leebee
08-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Gosh! TV's and DVD players, IPods and digital cameras, for presents? Anyone want to adopt ME before Christmas? DD (almost 12) must be mightily embarrassed when comparing presents with her friends! She gets clothes (socks, underwear, hats and mittens, etc), books, Polly Pockets, games...Santa brings one *big* present, last year it was Harry Potter DVD's (we only had the videos, she was DYING for DVD's, which my FIL sent to as a family gift last summer), the year before it was a boom box (radio/tape/CD player, cost about $35) for her room. Don't know what she'll want this Christmas. Her birthday is in 4 weeks and I've only picked up one present. I feel really cheap reading this thread, but I'd never consider any of the expensive electronics or computers (etc.) for DD as a gift for HER. We have some of these things as family possessions (tv, dvd, laptop, computer) but not as individual possessions.

PatsGirl
08-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Well, I"ll admit I only read throught the first 2 pages but my first thought is "anything that will get them outside in the fresh air and physical" -- bikes, skateboards, jump ropes, sidewalk chalk, basketball hoop, swingset, sleds, in-line skates, that sort of thing.

I am also one of those parents that doesn't allow tv in their rooms (ages 8 and almost 16) and the computers are in the office for all eyes to see, lol :rotfl: (gotta do that with a a teenage son) :rotfl2: But I'm also one that severly limits access to tvs and video games. I did relent when my son was 12 (well, not me but a boyfriend who thought I was tormenting my son :teeth: ) and let him get a Playstation. To tell you the truth, I still regret it. It's always a toss up whether he's playing computer games or video games when he should be doing chores or homework :confused3

Brenda

PatsGirl
08-24-2005, 07:16 PM
Oops, was so busy on my soapbox....

Gotta say my DD, 8, LOVES, I mean really LOVES both her bitty baby and all three of her American Girls and saves/spends all her allowance outfitting them. If this keeps her a "little girl" for a while longer, I'm happy to let her stay inside and play Mommy. :flower:

sk!mom
08-24-2005, 07:23 PM
My DD9 loves the American Girls and vows to keep going until she has them all so she will probably get one of those and another one from her grandmother. When she was your DD's age her favorite gift (and it still gets used) was a dress up box full of clothes. Over the years she has gotten clothes added to this box as she has outgrown what was in it. It is now full of prom type dresses purchased from thrift stores. She still has hours of fun with this gift.

I am also anti-tv and game system so I can't help you there. DD would be thrilled to receive a TV but it ain't gonna happen.

Goofyzgurl
08-24-2005, 07:49 PM
I got dd (1, she'll be 2 in feb) a barbie car and for dd (11, she'll be 12 in sept) an ipod? I don't know about her yet. She already has a tv in her room so I don't have to buy her one. Frankly I don't see anything wrong with a tv in her room. I think moderation is key to a lot of things. DD (11) is on the honor roll, plays soccer, and is very active in the community and in her school. I had a tv in my room growing up and I spent more time reading than watching it. I haven't been harmed in any way, graduated from college with honors, had kids, they're fine, I'm fine. Get the tv for your little girl if you want.

MelodyMack
08-24-2005, 08:35 PM
While we're on the subject on trampolines...

DH and I have been considering getting one for DD4 (will be almost 5 at Xmas). What size/kin do you guys recommend? Any one with real positive or negative experience with these. DD plays outside a lot, but we're always looking for something to keep interest in the outdoors. Any opinion would be GREAT!

Also, DD has a computer that is all hers (DH's realllly old one). We keep it in the living room so she can play EDUCATIONAL computer games on it only...no internet connection. We have gone back and forth about putting a TV in her playroom because she does like to play with her Vtech at inconvenient times, but so far have vetoed the idea. I don't think we'd have a problem with her being on it too much; our concern is that be doing it in her room it is less family time. We often get on the floor with her and play (she's WAY better then I am:), and I think we'd miss out on that if she had it in her room.

To each their own, right? As long as your kid is healthy and your spending good quality time together I don't see why a TV in their room is a big deal.

Mel :wave:

mickeysaver
08-24-2005, 08:49 PM
New collars & pet tags that look like Mickey heads from WDW. Yeah, all of our kids have 4 legs. Lots of :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw: on our hearts. Maggie

mrsbornkuntry
08-24-2005, 08:54 PM
While we're on the subject on trampolines...

DH and I have been considering getting one for DD4 (will be almost 5 at Xmas). What size/kin do you guys recommend? Any one with real positive or negative experience with these. DD plays outside a lot, but we're always looking for something to keep interest in the outdoors. Any opinion would be GREAT!

Mel :wave:

Well, since you asked for opinions...I am very much against trampolines. They are very dangerous, even with supervision (which should be a must). We're military and on one post we lived on they were against regulations, they aren't where we are now, but they've printed 3 articles that I can think of in our community newspaper about the accidents they cause. If you are considering getting one, though, the advice that they give is to get a full-sized one, make sure the springs are covered, get a safety net, only let one person jump at a time, and discourage sommersaults. I personally have refused to buy one for my children despite the fact that they really want one, but alot of people have them with no problems, too. I think using them wisely, with supervision, makes alot of difference. :teacher:

DVCLiz
08-24-2005, 09:11 PM
FYI, most homeowner's policies are not allowing trampolines, since the American Academy of Pediatrics recommended against them for any child outside of a gym setting. I had to give mine away after I innocently asked my insurance agent a question and spilled the beans about ours. Had to sign a letter stating that I knew if it returned I would be denied coverage!!

ElizaB39
08-24-2005, 09:12 PM
The trampoline has been brought up at our house. I have responded with a resounding NO! I have friends that bought one for their DD and almost evertyime a kid came over to play there was some injurty or another. Some friend weren't even allowed to play on them. Heads banged into each other, shoulders hitting faces, and etc. They finally returned it to the store for a full refund.

My bro has one for his kids, and we all played on it two summers ago under my supervision. No injuries but I was a nervous wreck.

JMO

DD12 and DS8 will be getting stocking stuffers all from Disney. Each get a $10 Blockbuster gift card, also a stocking stiffer. DD also getting an American Girl puzzle/game book that she picked out at the store (just back). AG has great books for girls regarding their bodies, friendship, and etc. She loves them all. I don't have any other ideas for either of them. They usually get one large joint gift (karaoke, game cube) but don't know what for this year yet. we also usually buy a new family game for use over the holiday, last year it was Apples to Apples. It is always a game every person can play, from DS8 to gramps at 70.

DD has tons of stuff picked out from the AG catalog, but her bday is also December so I buy lots in that month. I am toying with the idea of going up for the day for her bday since it is on a Sunday and we could go to the AG Place and do lunch and etc. And then on the Rockefeller Center and etc. Great time of year to go.

DS will want lots of action stuff.

They usually get movies or bookstore gift cards from my sibs. My bro and I sometimes send our local NFL team clothing to each other's kids, have to get our digs in you know (we are Philly, they are MN). From my parents they always get a personalized ornament, $, book(s), one toy and clothing (boy that is a lot - see related comments in retirement thread about how they increased their gift giving budget line item when they retired :rotfl: ).

I need to get cracking on my list for everyone else. Oh, I picked up a Sex in the City board game for my SIL for $3 on clearance from Kohl's, will probablybe her bday gift in Sep. :)

ElizaB39
08-24-2005, 09:14 PM
FYI, most homeowner's policies are not allowing trampolines, since the American Academy of Pediatrics recommended against them for any child outside of a gym setting. I had to give mine away after I innocently asked my insurance agent a question and spilled the beans about ours. Had to sign a letter stating that I knew if it returned I would be denied coverage!!

Yes, I thought this could be the case, my friend's neighbor is an insurance agent and they said their kids could never use it and when asked why he told them. That is when it was returned to the store for a full refund.

DVCLiz
08-24-2005, 09:16 PM
Gosh! TV's and DVD players, IPods and digital cameras, for presents? Anyone want to adopt ME before Christmas? DD (almost 12) must be mightily embarrassed when comparing presents with her friends! She gets clothes (socks, underwear, hats and mittens, etc), books, Polly Pockets, games...Santa brings one *big* present, last year it was Harry Potter DVD's (we only had the videos, she was DYING for DVD's, which my FIL sent to as a family gift last summer), the year before it was a boom box (radio/tape/CD player, cost about $35) for her room. Don't know what she'll want this Christmas. Her birthday is in 4 weeks and I've only picked up one present. I feel really cheap reading this thread, but I'd never consider any of the expensive electronics or computers (etc.) for DD as a gift for HER. We have some of these things as family possessions (tv, dvd, laptop, computer) but not as individual possessions.
It depends on your family preferences, of course, but I think there's a difference between TVs and DVD players on the one hand, and IPods and digital cameras on the other. Neither of my children have TVs in their rooms here, although my younger DD11 has a small DVD player for movies when she has spend-the-night company, but they both got digital cameras from their Dad last Christmas, and DD16 got an IPod using left-over Christmas and birthday money last year.

Unless you have a strong family preference, these smaller electronics do seem to be the gifts of choice for teens, so get ready for your DD to at least ASK for some of them in the future!!

Nik's Mom
08-24-2005, 09:27 PM

I have a small bouncer/bounce house (like the ones people have at parties). I wonder if homeowners have the same policy on those. I agree trampolines can be very dangerous. But I couldn't see the harm in those bouncers. It's 9ftx9ft and my 2 boys love them. They are supervised, of course. And it's only the 2 boys (and sometimes Mom :earseek: ). Do you all think these are dangerous? Now I'm worried.

kerry34
08-24-2005, 09:37 PM
I havent decided what I am getting my kids yet. The gift from DH and I is the Disney trip. Santa will leave a few things at the hotel for christmas morning and leave whatever else he brings at home for them when we get back. I usually spend around 300 per child, but that is being cut down big time this year due to our trip. The little ones are easy because they just want toys, I am hoping to get some great sales at TRU after thanksgiving for a good price. The older ones are a little tougher, but they know the disney trip is from us this year so they will only be opening what santa brings. As far as the OPs original question about the tv thing, in my opinion, you should do what feels right to you, everyone is different. My five yr olds have an old tv and vcr in their room (no channels) and only watch an occasional movie during a blizzard or if they are sick. My son has a small tv that he bought with some birthday money and he only uses it to play his PS and also with that he isnt obsessed with it. Whatever you chose, it will be the right decision.

CrazedDisFan
08-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Here's a working list of what were getting our kids for Christmas this year. We are cutting back this year as dh will be off work from Thanksgiving until ? (we'll see how it goes) for a total knee replacement & recovery from the surgery. I will also not be working to care for him.

DD (will be 11 ~ 10 days prior to Christmas):
*A dvd player for her room (the small one from Sam' Club that is $30.88)
*A Cd (probably Radio Disney)
*A DVD (*not sure what one)
*A new pair of pajamas (gets to open Christmas Eve and wear that night, a
tradition in our family)
*A sweatshirt and socks from Aeropostale (her favorite store)
*purse with a few Disney $ in it (We are hoping dh is recovered enough for
a spring trip)
*Stocking filled with socks, lipgloss, glitter nail polish and various little things
*Bead kit for making bracelets and necklaces (have these already, local
craft store had bags of beads for .10˘ each, so I made each of the
girls a cute bead kit)

Dd, 8:
*A cd player walkman type thing (pink)
* Cd
*Pajamas (again, Christmas Eve tradition)
*Sweatshirt and socks (trying to find cute one with horse on it)
*Purse with a few Disney $
*Stocking with similar things to sister, but pink sparkle nail polish
*Need one more idea here.
girls a cute bead kit)

mamalle
08-24-2005, 10:26 PM
we have a 13ft trampoline for the kids with the safety net that I bought at sports authority and the kids love it. They out grew the bounce around house and loved jumping at the one at gymnastics. It all depends how much they are outside. we live in fla year round so its a great addition to our backyard. Between the swingset, water slide and trampoline the kids are set. :cool1:

It's A Happy Day
08-24-2005, 11:43 PM

I have picked up a bunch of small stuff so far but trying to figure out the big gift this year??? But for your situation...
We purchased the v-smile for our son when he turned 4 and he is just now getting into it almost a year later - our dd3 has yet to be turned on by it - so I would wait perhaps another year for that one. As far as the tv choice, it is up to you - your son already has one so it would be fair to get one for dd as she will have her own place to watch what she wants instead of fighting over another TV to watch another Dora episode for the 57th time that day (swiper no swiping, swiper no swiping :rolleyes: ) and the princess tv really is too cute!!! If I were to go this route I would theme the whole gift - tv, dvd, a couple dora movies, cinderella of course, microwave popcorn in the stocking, maybe some dress up stuff if thats her thing - movie star sunglassess and a boa, maybe a gift card to get rentals if you rent nearby, etc. Major expense would be the tv & dvd but the rest you could pick up at a decent price. Good Luck, I'm sure they will love whatever happens to be under the tree...

LilMamiBella
08-25-2005, 08:23 AM
I felt really bad yesterday trying to get my son to give up his gamecube. He was crying and said I was bad mommy. I took it to a resell store but they didn't want to give me much for it so I just took it back home. I have someone who'll buy the nintendo 64 and the gameboy but I just don't know what to do about the gamecube. I think maybe I could just have him pick 3 or 4 to sell and keep the rest of his games. I think he has 6-7 gamecube games. I showed him the l-max and the v-smile and told him that Santa might be able to get him one of those. He seemed to llike them. Since my dd likes the leapster so much I might buy her a new l-max or v-smile. She's been playing the princess leapster game every day this week. We're thinking of taking my son's tv out of his room and putting it in the "game room" and just buy a cheap dvd player to add to it.

Befferk
08-25-2005, 09:39 AM
My son is 3 and since we will be going to Disney in May of 2006, we won't be doing as much for Christmas this year. I am telling family members that it would be a good idea to go with one gift and then a card with money in it for him to use at Disney.

He already has his own TV/Satellite/VCR/DVD player, CD player, etc in his room (since he was 2), and I must admit he doesn't spend very much time in there at all. He would rather be out playing with us or be outside. It is nice though for quiet time sometimes. He also has the V-Smile, Leapster, and My 1st LeapPad and he loves them all. He has learned SO MUCH from all of these. He is incredibly smart. We will be getting him more games/books for those for Christmas. His other favorites are plain old Legos, markers/crayons, anything Buzz Lightyear, Thomas the Train playsets, and his 4-wheeler.

Beth

CourtasanSatine
08-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Having my own tv is a great thing, it fixes most of the battles(like one is Lost vs Law & Order) and I use it with my dvd player

hlane
08-25-2005, 12:07 PM
I haven't read the whole post but from what I have read I'm sure I'm a minority here but I say get your dd the TV. My feeling is they are only kids once so why not give them what they want. I have two ds, 3 1/2 & almost 5. They have a TV, DVD player, VCR, & satellite in their room plus in our bedroom & the living room. In the living room they also have PS1, Gamecube, Xbox, and hundreds of games. They are getting a computer from Santa this year. I want them to have all I can afford to give them.

LynnTH
08-25-2005, 03:53 PM
I too am in the minority here. My DS6 and DD4 both have TV's in there rooms along with DVD/VCR Combo. They do not get to watch TV whenever they want but they do need downtime also. Once they get ready for bed and get into bed we turn on a movie or cartoons ( I think they only know a couple of channels - Disney, Nick and Caroon Network). Then we set the timer for 30 minutes. Most nights they are asleep by the time it shuts off. This is their way of unwinding and relaxing. We also rent movies alot and they pick out their movies and my DH and I pick out ours. So, we are all able to watch our own movies without us having to watch theirs or them watching ours (which in many cases we wouldn't want them watching anyway).

That being said we are giving our kids a trip to Disney this year also. We are going the end of February and they don't know about it.. They have kept saying how they want to go back. And we keep telling them that trips are expensive and hopefully someday we can get back. Santa will probably bring them some games for their leapsters(which they both got last year for Christmas and I highly recommend this toy) and a few other toys as well as Disney Dollars. I am also going to get them each the new Video Now player that is out that plays cartoons/shows but is also interactive and will play games. I thought this would be great for the plane ride or in the car in general. They can share the PVDS as they now share the leapster cartridges.

Other than that I am kind of waiting to see what else new is coming out for the holiday season. Last year I bought a bunch of stuff and then ended up bringing alot back once I saw all the new things that came out. (That's the downside of shopping early). I'm just setting aside my Christmas money and will buy some here and there but wait more til I see what is coming out.

MrsPete
08-25-2005, 04:21 PM
I haven't read the whole post but from what I have read I'm sure I'm a minority here but I say get your dd the TV. My feeling is they are only kids once so why not give them what they want.

Have you read this study?

KIDS WITH BEDROOM TV SETS HAVE LOWER STANDARDIZED TEST SCORES, STANFORD/PACKARD STUDY SHOWS
STANFORD, Calif. – Want to improve your child’s standardized test scores? You might want to start by booting out the television that likely occupies a place of honor in your youngster’s bedroom and booting up a computer elsewhere in the home.

A new study by researchers at the Stanford University School of Medicine and Johns Hopkins University indicates that third-graders with televisions in their bedrooms perform significantly more poorly on standardized tests than their peers without. Conversely, those with access to a home computer earn higher test scores. The differences persist regardless of the amount of time the students reported spending on homework.

“This study provides even more evidence that parents should either take the television out of their child’s room, or not put it there in the first place,” said Thomas Robinson, MD, director of the Center for Healthy Weight at Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital at Stanford and associate professor of pediatrics at the School of Medicine.

Robinson is the senior author of the research, published in the July issue of the Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine. He collaborated with lead author Dina Borzekowski to survey about 350 third-graders at six public elementary schools in northern California in 2000. Borzekowski is an assistant professor in the Department of Population and Family Health Sciences at the Bloomberg School of Public Health at Johns Hopkins.

The researchers found that more than 70 percent of the students reported having a television in their bedroom. These students scored between seven and nine points lower on standardized mathematics, reading and language arts tests than did their peers. Conversely, those with access to home computers scored between seven and nine points higher than those without. The highest average scores were netted by students with computer access and without a bedroom TV; students with a personal television and without computer access at home scored the lowest, on average.

“ This study doesn't prove that putting a television in your child’s bedroom will decrease his or her test scores, but it does add to the increasing evidence that it’s not a good idea,” said Robinson, who is the author of previous studies showing that decreasing children’s television viewing reduces obesity, aggressive behavior and nagging for advertised toys.

The researchers can’t conclusively say why television has such an effect on test scores. Surprisingly, the students who reported spending the most time watching television also claimed to spend more time on homework and reading than kids with more limited exposure, perhaps because they tend to have more difficulty with schoolwork in general. The researchers speculate that the link may have more to do with other factors, such as the fact that children with bedroom televisions have been shown to sleep less than their peers, or that the minority of parents who allow a home computer but prohibit a bedroom television may be more engaged in their child’s education.

“A television in a child’s bedroom has become the norm,” said Robinson. “From the parent’s perspective, it keeps kids amused and out of trouble. But with this arrangement parents are giving up any control of how much and what their children are watching. They have no idea if they’re watching all night, or if they’re watching violent or sexually explicit content, or content or advertising that promotes alcohol or drug use.”

But cheer up Mom and Dad—there’s still hope. Some of Robinson’s future research will focus on developing effective ways to help parents extract televisions from their children’s inner sanctums.

mrsbornkuntry
08-25-2005, 05:29 PM
IThey do not get to watch TV whenever they want but they do need downtime also. Once they get ready for bed and get into bed we turn on a movie or cartoons ( I think they only know a couple of channels - Disney, Nick and Caroon Network). Then we set the timer for 30 minutes. Most nights they are asleep by the time it shuts off. This is their way of unwinding and relaxing. We also rent movies alot and they pick out their movies and my DH and I pick out ours. So, we are all able to watch our own movies without us having to watch theirs or them watching ours (which in many cases we wouldn't want them watching anyway).

I agree that kids need downtime, but I think that allowing children to read in bed or just before bed is just as relaxing. It has been routine in our house since my oldest (now 9) was 3 for me to read to them every night. My dd no longer wants me to read to her, so she reads in her bed while I read aloud to her younger brothers. All of my kids know they will be getting at least one book each from me, not Santa or anyone else, for each holiday and if they find a book they want I rarely say no, although sometimes I will tell them to wait until I find it cheaper. They do watch tv, but I know exactly what they're watching all the time and there are shows on Cartoon Network that my children are not allowed to watch, even some of their daytime ones. They know now to change the channel immediately when they come on, but I'm still there if they don't.

I definitely don't think that my kids are entitled to have as many game systems or tv's as they want just because they are only young once. Those are just things. What I would rather do is show them as many experiences as I can with vacations, day trips, etc. so they can learn what is important and spend time with them so they learn that they are what's important to me. The things I buy them won't teach them that. I'd rather buy them things they can learn from.

I think most people know this already, but just in case I want to suggest reading the toy reviews on Amazon before deciding what to buy, even if you aren't going to order it from there. I think it really helps you know if you're getting what you want from a toy.

kkaisu
08-25-2005, 07:27 PM
My DD is 13, she wants a new stereo and an Mp3 player. My plan is to get her an MP3 player - looking at Creative NuVue - lots of colors, same features as an IPOD, $100 less and some decent speakers she can play it through for her room, instead of a stereo.
I will also get her some clothes and a caller ID phone for her room.

On the TV issue - my daughter did not have TV in her room, but she did watch ALOT of TV(way too much my sister said) when she was little :blush: . Guess What - she gets all A's and B's, is active in volleyball, choir and dancing and rarely, rarely watches TV anymore. She does have one in her room now and I think she only watched it this summer late at night when she was lying in bed. It's your child. My DD would have loved a princess TV, If I would have been able to afford it and they had them then, I know she would have had one. :flower:

hlane
08-26-2005, 06:50 AM

KIDS WITH BEDROOM TV SETS HAVE LOWER STANDARDIZED TEST SCORES, STANFORD/PACKARD STUDY SHOWS
STANFORD, Calif. – Want to improve your child’s standardized test scores? You might want to start by booting out the television that likely occupies a place of honor in your youngster’s bedroom and booting up a computer elsewhere in the home.

A new study by researchers at the Stanford University School of Medicine and Johns Hopkins University indicates that third-graders with televisions in their bedrooms perform significantly more poorly on standardized tests than their peers without. Conversely, those with access to a home computer earn higher test scores. The differences persist regardless of the amount of time the students reported spending on homework.

“This study provides even more evidence that parents should either take the television out of their child’s room, or not put it there in the first place,” said Thomas Robinson, MD, director of the Center for Healthy Weight at Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital at Stanford and associate professor of pediatrics at the School of Medicine.

Robinson is the senior author of the research, published in the July issue of the Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine. He collaborated with lead author Dina Borzekowski to survey about 350 third-graders at six public elementary schools in northern California in 2000. Borzekowski is an assistant professor in the Department of Population and Family Health Sciences at the Bloomberg School of Public Health at Johns Hopkins.

The researchers found that more than 70 percent of the students reported having a television in their bedroom. These students scored between seven and nine points lower on standardized mathematics, reading and language arts tests than did their peers. Conversely, those with access to home computers scored between seven and nine points higher than those without. The highest average scores were netted by students with computer access and without a bedroom TV; students with a personal television and without computer access at home scored the lowest, on average.

“ This study doesn't prove that putting a television in your child’s bedroom will decrease his or her test scores, but it does add to the increasing evidence that it’s not a good idea,” said Robinson, who is the author of previous studies showing that decreasing children’s television viewing reduces obesity, aggressive behavior and nagging for advertised toys.

The researchers can’t conclusively say why television has such an effect on test scores. Surprisingly, the students who reported spending the most time watching television also claimed to spend more time on homework and reading than kids with more limited exposure, perhaps because they tend to have more difficulty with schoolwork in general. The researchers speculate that the link may have more to do with other factors, such as the fact that children with bedroom televisions have been shown to sleep less than their peers, or that the minority of parents who allow a home computer but prohibit a bedroom television may be more engaged in their child’s education.

“A television in a child’s bedroom has become the norm,” said Robinson. “From the parent’s perspective, it keeps kids amused and out of trouble. But with this arrangement parents are giving up any control of how much and what their children are watching. They have no idea if they’re watching all night, or if they’re watching violent or sexually explicit content, or content or advertising that promotes alcohol or drug use.”

But cheer up Mom and Dad—there’s still hope. Some of Robinson’s future research will focus on developing effective ways to help parents extract televisions from their children’s inner sanctums.

I can speak from MY experience only but I grew up in a household where we did not own nor were we allowed to watch ANY T.V., even at school or a friends home. I can tell you that neither me or my 3 siblings turned out any better or worse then our peers who had and watched TV.
When I said in my previous post the my ds had TV etc in their room I did not say I allowed them to watch whatever they wanted or as much as they wanted. As a previous poster stated my kids use this as a way to relax at the end of the day. They watch Disney, Nick, Cartoon Network, or a DVD that we get from the library. I turn on what they are going to watch, set the timer and that's it.
I think op has to do what she feels is right for her dd just as I do what I feel is right my my ds.

8 Ears
08-26-2005, 07:47 AM
This thread has me so fired up that I have tried not to post! :teeth: If my son's had not been able to watch TV how would they have learned so much about volcanos? Youngest DS was going to school telling his teacher this and that he had learned about them. Her comment was, you will learn about that in another grade. Learn about it later? He HAD already learned it from Discovery! Oldest DS went to school asking his teacher to tell him more about "The String Theory" in 7th grade. His teacher had NO CLUE what he was talking about. He had to take the video in to show and prove to his veterened teacher what he was talking about. :rolleyes: Oh, do you also know that Buffalo roll in the dirt a certain way when it is mating season? Yup, we learned them from Discovery too. How about WW 1, 2, Vietam and the Korean wars? I would bet most of you out there know a blank, blank less than my children 11 and 13 do! Do you know there is Vermont's Little Grand Canyon that you can go to and walk around? Very nice place I may say! Yup, saw a show on it on TV, went to it and had a WONDERFUL time! What about the Berumda Triangle? How much do you all know about that? They now believe at least in part that it had something to do with our minds reversing the sea and sky as far as planes go. How many of you sit as a family and watch the Travel Channel? Do you have conversations concerning the different clothing, foods, traditons for when a male "becomes a man"? I am and Ed. Tech, OK not a "teacher" but I understand that learning happens or can happen ALL the time! You do not have to be sitting behind a desk to become educated!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes there are many shows out there that I do not think have any educational value BUT if you set limits TV is a very good tool. Working in the school system I see how many parents are. They tell their child to do one thing and turn around and do just the opposite. What do you think they are learning there folks?????? Just last night I was not going to stop at a stop sign that in my opinon is in a foolish place. There would be nothing wrong with it only being a Yield. I nearly coasted through when DS made the comment that in a little over 2 years he can get his permit and wondered how I would feel if he "coasted" through it. I came to a complete stop!! :rotfl: Lesson in learning for the both of us here!!!!!!!!

Well, said in the beginning how fired up I am about this thread. I will end now but let me assure you I have MANY, MANY more examples if any of you need them. :)

Oh, how about going to an antique store to look around? How things have evolved. Are they going to learn that sitting in the class room. We love Antiques Road Show! How much things cost 100 years ago, what they are worth now. How long did it take the average person to safe to purchase that item. How long would it take someone now. We will say I, DH or both of us make this much and hour, how many days would we have to work just to buy THAT? I believe this is Math?!?!

OK, really signing off now :cheer2: :teacher:

Oh, oh I have more! :earboy2: Oldest DS wanted to learn more about the Salem Witch Trials than he learned in "school", we taped and wathced and rewatched a show on it. Yup, can only watch it if you had a TV!!!! Now in October we are taking a bus trip there because he does not feel as though he knows "enough"! Would we have gone without watching the show, maybe, maybe not?!?! The point is had only touched on it in school and went to the TV to learn more. We have also researched more on the "gulp" computer! He was sitting in front of a tube, was he wasting his time away? I think not.

Limits, guidlines, supervision :cloud9:

Disneyglobegirl
08-26-2005, 07:56 AM

Well this certainly does not apply to my house - both my children have TV's in their rooms and both are honor roll students - my DS earns all A's and B's and my daughter is all A's and consistently she has scored 99% on all her standardized state wide testing every year since 1st grade. She is in the top 1% of the state for her age level. They have had TV's in their rooms for a few years and it does not effect their grades at all - and why is that,because I am the parent and I set the TV limits just because it is in their room does not mean it is a free for all to watch as much TV as they want - I really do not know why I continue to read these threads as I certainly must be a horrible parent according to the perfect parents here. YES my kids have TV's in their rooms. Yes my kids eat raw cookie dough, Yes my kids go to sleepovers, YEs my kids read Harry Potter and Lemony Snickets - THis could go on and on - I know I am not perfect at being a parent but itdoes get tiring to see so many "perfects" out there telling others how horrible it is to do something that would Never be done at their house. I do the best I can and it seems to be working at my house since my kids are well behaved and get good grades. This post isn't meant to be to any one poster it is just my opinion so please no one take offense.

To the OP of this thread - if you know your DD wants that Princess TV - get it for her and don't let others judge you or make you feel bad for your decision. Like I said both my kids have TV's and game systems in their rooms and they are both honor roll students. In fact video games have helped my DS with his Auditory Processing problems - they have improved his processing speed and helped him with reading. He is an A/B student and doing very well in school. It all comes down to limits.

Disneyglobegirl
08-26-2005, 08:01 AM
This thread has me so fired up that I have tried not to post! :teeth: If my son's had not been able to watch TV how would they have learned so much about volcanos? Youngest DS was going to school telling his teacher this and that he had learned about them. Her comment was, you will learn about that in another grade. Learn about it later? He HAD already learned it from Discovery! Oldest DS went to school asking his teacher to tell him more about "The String Theory" in 7th grade. His teacher had NO CLUE what he was talking about. He had to take the video in to show and prove to his veterened teacher what he was talking about. :rolleyes: Oh, do you also know that Buffalo roll in the dirt a certain way when it is mating season? Yup, we learned them from Discovery too. How about WW 1, 2, Vietam and the Korean wars? I would bet most of you out there know a blank, blank less than my children 11 and 13 do! Do you know there is Vermont's Little Grand Canyon that you can go to and walk around? Very nice place I may say! Yup, saw a show on it on TV, went to it and had a WONDERFUL time! What about the Berumda Triangle? How much do you all know about that? They now believe at least in part that it had something to do with our minds reversing the sea and sky as far as planes go. How many of you sit as a family and watch the Travel Channel? Do you have conversations concerning the different clothing, foods, traditons for when a male "becomes a man"? I am and Ed. Tech, OK not a "teacher" but I understand that learning happens or can happen ALL the time! You do not have to be sitting behind a desk to become educated!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes there are many shows out there that I do not think have any educational value BUT if you set limits TV is a very good tool. Working in the school system I see how many parents are. They tell their child to do one thing and turn around and do just the opposite. What do you think they are learning there folks?????? Just last night I was not going to stop at a stop sign that in my opinon is in a foolish place. There would be nothing wrong with it only being a Yield. I nearly coasted through when DS made the comment that in a little over 2 years he can get his permit and wondered how I would feel if he "coasted" through it. I came to a complete stop!! :rotfl: Lesson in learning for the both of us here!!!!!!!!

Well, said in the beginning how fired up I am about this thread. I will end now but let me assure you I have MANY, MANY more examples if any of you need them. :)

Oh, how about going to an antique store to look around? How things have evolved. Are they going to learn that sitting in the class room. We love Antiques Road Show! How much things cost 100 years ago, what they are worth now. How long did it take the average person to safe to purchase that item. How long would it take someone now. We will say I, DH or both of us make this much and hour, how many days would we have to work just to buy THAT? I believe this is Math?!?!

OK, really signing off now :cheer2: :teacher:

Oh, oh I have more! :earboy2: Oldest DS wanted to learn more about the Salem Witch Trials than he learned in "school", we taped and wathced and rewatched a show on it. Yup, can only watch it if you had a TV!!!! Now in October we are taking a bus trip there because he does not feel as though he knows "enough"! Would we have gone without watching the show, maybe, maybe not?!?! The point is had only touched on it in school and went to the TV to learn more. We have also researched more on the "gulp" computer! He was sitting in front of a tube, was he wasting his time away? I think not.

Limits, guidlines, supervision :cloud9:

Well said! I agree with you on this too!

DVCLiz
08-26-2005, 08:09 AM
Whew - for a minute there I was afraid test scores for my children would be dropping by the hundreds of points. But 7 to 9 points just doesn't seem that significant to me.

I am always amused by the anti-TV people, who assume, no matter where the TV is located, that parents who allow TV viewing automatically give up all control of what their children are watching. I mean, if you are a parent who allows TV viewing in your home, are you really so out of touch with your children that you wouldn't go in and out of the room, see what your children are watching, make sure they had the TV turned off at the appropriate time, fell asleep when you intended them to, etc.?

Don't you do all these thigns as a responsible parent? I might let my DD fall asleep watching TV on my bed (I do have a TV in my room because I'm a grownup!!!) but I know what she's watching and when she turns it off or goes to sleep, because I'm sitting in the room right next door watching TV myself or reading.

Do these people think we put the children and their TVs in a separate wing of our enormous mansions???LOL!!!!

fiveforall
08-26-2005, 08:22 AM
As an educator who recently spent six months studying the effects of television on adolescents, it is my conclusion that television can only harm children if parents allow it to do so. If I were to let my kids watch trash TV for hours upon hours and neglect their homework and family, then yes, it is harmful. However, in my own loving home, all of my kids have their own televisions. They spend about an hour each week night, more on the weekends, watching tv and playing games. They are involved in soccer, karate, church, and most importantly, we spend time reading and just relaxing together. My kids are extremely bright. TVs are not the problem---bad parenting is.

Anyway, to get back on topic, my kids will receive the following:

DD(10)-XBox, XBox games, minutes for her phone, books, and clothes
DD(7)-DVD player, books, clothes, board games, soccer equipment
DS(5)-baseball and soccer equipment, hockey tickets, Gameboy games

DVCLiz
08-26-2005, 08:37 AM
DD11 has recently renewed her interest in Gameboy. She had the original Gameboy and now I believe the one she has is a Gameboy Advance. I know there is something new out, so what should I get if I decide to do this for Christmas??

She will also get her first real "teen" accessories. A lighted makeup mirror for her vanity, a basket with deodorant, makeup remover, nail polish and manicure sets, and some "real" makeup like mascara and lip gloss, etc.

But she has also asked for some "toys" so I'm at a loss about that. She has enough art sets and board games to last a lifetime!!! What still fits the description as a "toy" for a 12 year old????

Miss Kelly
08-26-2005, 09:12 AM
Well this certainly does not apply to my house - both my children have TV's in their rooms and both are honor roll students - my DS earns all A's and B's and my daughter is all A's and consistently she has scored 99% on all her standardized state wide testing every year since 1st grade. She is in the top 1% of the state for her age level. They have had TV's in their rooms for a few years and it does not effect their grades at all - and why is that,because I am the parent and I set the TV limits just because it is in their room does not mean it is a free for all to watch as much TV as they want - I really do not know why I continue to read these threads as I certainly must be a horrible parent according to the perfect parents here. YES my kids have TV's in their rooms. Yes my kids eat raw cookie dough, Yes my kids go to sleepovers, YEs my kids read Harry Potter and Lemony Snickets - THis could go on and on - I know I am not perfect at being a parent but itdoes get tiring to see so many "perfects" out there telling others how horrible it is to do something that would Never be done at their house. I do the best I can and it seems to be working at my house since my kids are well behaved and get good grades. This post isn't meant to be to any one poster it is just my opinion so please no one take offense.

To the OP of this thread - if you know your DD wants that Princess TV - get it for her and don't let others judge you or make you feel bad for your decision. Like I said both my kids have TV's and game systems in their rooms and they are both honor roll students. In fact video games have helped my DS with his Auditory Processing problems - they have improved his processing speed and helped him with reading. He is an A/B student and doing very well in school. It all comes down to limits.

Very well said. Thank you! :sunny:

Brier Rose
08-26-2005, 10:52 AM

This study is just the "flavor of the month"! :rolleyes:
Please... if you look around anyone can find a "study" to support anything.

So they would really have people believe that if a child spends 3 hours watching Discovery channel on TV, they are so much worse off than a child that spends 3 hours playing SpongeBob on a computer??? Just because one is a computer and one is a TV...laughable!

Without giving any specifics of what is being watched on TV, and what is being done with this time on the computer, this study certainly lacks depth at the very least.

And a student that spends all of this time watching TV, is on average doing poorly in school so they have to spend much more time doing their homework and reading???

I must be missing something here, but if they are spending all of this time watching TV, how are they then spending hours reading and doing homework??

At best, I could much more easily believe the kids they asked were lying about how much time they spent doing their homework or reading, much more easily than I would believe plummenting test scores and overall poor school performace happened no matter how much they read or studied because of their volumes of time spent watching TV. Gimmie a break!

And my favorite of the bunch...Kids that spend so much time watching TV are most likely to have parents that are not "as engaged" in their child's education!
Love that one! I homeschool my kids,you can't get anymore involved than that.

And FYI, just because there is a TV in the room does not mean that all of the sudden all rules get thrown out the window!

What makes them think that it's such a given that if a child is told to turn off the TV and go to sleep they won't??

They still do what there told don't they??

And if not, that's more of a not minding your parents problem than a TV problem!

How about kids that get back up to secretly play with toys, or read under the covers with a flashlight???

But wait..that's not...GASP!...watching TV!

mrsbornkuntry
08-26-2005, 11:29 AM
TVs are not the problem---bad parenting is.

Good point.

luvmy2sams
08-26-2005, 11:50 AM
DD6 is getting a Princess karaoke machine, video camera & Kim Possible lamp. Possibly some new clothes and a game or two.

DS2 is getting a Buzz Lightyear tent, cowboy outfit and quite possibly the Mickey Mouse TV & DVD/VCR from Santa :earseek: . Possibly a couple of new outfits and another toy.

We've got to do an equal number of presents, since that's all that concerns DD right now, so I'll have to pull everything out of the closet at some point to make sure I haven't gone overboard in one direction. We're also opting for a budget Christmas since we're heading to WDW the first weekend in January. :Pinkbounc

I'm another one in the minority that doesn't see the problem with the TV in the bedroom. DD's had one for about 3 years now (strictly DVD's/no cable hooked up), and there have been no issues. If your DD wants the Princess TV, then I say go for it! :teeth:

MrsPete
08-26-2005, 08:21 PM
TVs are not the problem---bad parenting isI agree, with several qualifications:

TVs in bedrooms and lazy parenting seem to go together -- that doesn't mean that ALL parents who make this decision for their children are lazy, but it seems to be a trend. I've heard TONS of people say things like this: "I had to get him a TV for his own room so he'd leave me alone for a while." or "I bought him a TV of his own so I could watch something other than cartoons." Huh? Is your convenience really the best measure of parental decisions? Again, this may not be everyone's reason, but it's certainly a major reason for many people.

This study isn't the only one that's found a negative correlation between TV and kids' educations. That link has been clearly established since I was a kid; the difference is that kids today seem to have much more access to TVs -- more of them are able to watch anything they want, anytime they want, with or without parental knowledge.

I'm not against TV -- especially he shows that people mentioned. But in all honesty, are most TV hours spent learning about nature's wonders or watching the Teen Titans pound villans?

This study didn't address whether TV overall is bad for kids -- it only discussed kids' ownership of personal TVs in their bedrooms. Why can't kids watch the family TV? That makes it a shared activity, which the parents and children can enjoy together. In my "mansion" we have a "good TV" in the den and a 9" that's sometimes hooked up in the living room for video games. We could easily afford to buy a set for every room, but we feel that we have plenty and don't feel deprived in the least.

Finally, several people have cited case studies of individual children who've had TVs in their bedrooms and have done well in school -- good for those kids. But surely you understand that studies are about the behavior of thousands of children. Some of those children will be honors students, some of them will be drop-outs -- the study is about what happens to children on average. We're not likely to hear anyone pipe up, "I gave my kid a TV, and he's dumb as dirt." So website stories about one's own children are sure to be biased in favor of those who "beat the odds".

If you disagree with my opinion, that's your perogative. They're your children. But I want to give my kids every possible advantage in this world, including protecting them from seeing "too much" too soon.

LisaR
08-26-2005, 11:27 PM
This is a question for those of you who have toddlers with satellite TV, DVD's three different gaming systems, Ipods and computers:

What on earth are you going to buy them for their 6th birthday or
Christmas when they are 9????

WOW! I just find it amazing that these little kids already have everything.
I thought my kids were spoiled until I read this thread. My kids are apparently very deprived.

Lisa

Brier Rose
08-26-2005, 11:58 PM
This is a question for those of you who have toddlers with satellite TV, DVD's three different gaming systems, Ipods and computers:

What on earth are you going to buy them for their 6th birthday or
Christmas when they are 9????

WOW! I just find it amazing that these little kids already have everything.
I thought my kids were spoiled until I read this thread. My kids are apparently very deprived.

Lisa

Well, I suppose that might be a problem if I felt that I had to "one up" each Christmas. I don't.

There are always new things to be had, or maybe even a time will come that I can't provide these type of things anymore. I tell you honestly my kids are not the type that would be devestated or angry if that day ever comes.

They are appreciative for everything they have ever received, and do not "expect" things, but are thankful to get what they want for as long as we can give it to them. And I'm thankful that we are able to give it to them. It makes ME happy.

I would rather that they had things like that for a short time than have never had them at all.

Are they spoiled...yes in terms of having "things" lavished on them, but NOT when it comes to attitude or character.

We've had times of feast and times of famine so to speak, and they have remained the same good kids regardless...TV, trinkets, and all!

megan4777
08-27-2005, 03:55 AM
DH and I already decided to give each other "Worst Mommy EVER!!!" and "Worst Daddy EVER!!!" t-shirts for x-mas. We thought about the, "Worst kid ever t-shirt" but decided not to do that until we're finished having kids and have judged them all!!! :rotfl2: Yeah, I'm going to hades...
That being said, I DO use the Tv to tame our 2 yr old while I feed our 7 mo old. I never did until she stood on top of the coffee table and began to dance. I asked her to get down. She didn't. Ok, I counted to 3. She still didn't get down. Hmmmm, I told her that she would have a time-out or get a smack on her bottom. (I do have THAT mom stare...the one that scares you if you know something will come of it) Hahahahaha. When I asked her to sit in her chair to watch Play with me sesame her little bum sat down so fast it would make your head spin. She sat (and talked to cookie monster...oh or is he "veggie monster" now? ;) ) for 20 min.
Our 2 yr old doesn't have a tv in her room (yet) but I'm sure she will at some point in the future. She absolutely loves watching national geographic as well as Dora/Sesame street, football and hockey (dear lord help her!!!). Your kids have great toys. We had nintendo (coleco, actually, in our "early years"), tv, crayons, matchbox cars, etc. We also had those sock em boppers that we beat the poop out of each other with...there were no knuckle marks...
You know your kids so therefore you make the decisions...but I don't see anything that says you can't give them what they asked for...
Sorry your post got turned into this debate.... :badpc:

mamalle
08-27-2005, 06:59 AM
They are appreciative for everything they have ever received, and do not "expect" things, but are thankful to get what they want for as long as we can give it to them. And I'm thankful that we are able to give it to them. It makes ME happy.

I would rather that they had things like that for a short time than have never had them at all.

Are they spoiled...yes in terms of having "things" lavished on them, but NOT when it comes to attitude or character.

We've had times of feast and times of famine so to speak, and they have remained the same good kids regardless...TV, trinkets, and all!

My thoughts exactly!

Its funny that now that mine do have TVs in their rooms they are hardly on. Mine like to be outside or want to watch something with us in the family room. They love the HD channels and we watch alot of the IMAX movies together. Anyhow it all comes down to us as the parent and deciding what they can and cannot do WITH everything in Life. Good luck with your decision- Im sure it will be a wonderful Christmas with whatever you decide!

Brier Rose
08-27-2005, 08:34 AM
Its funny that now that mine do have TVs in their rooms they are hardly on.

Mine too. They always argue over the TV in the living room rather than go to their own room to watch TV. You would think we had only one.
My DD 13 will go to her room to watch her TV if DH and I are watching a rated R movie, but even then she usually just has it on as background noise while she reads.

DS6 would rather watch TV in my bedroom, before he would his. :confused3

MAH4546
08-30-2005, 12:37 PM
With regards to TV's in the bedrooms, I don't see the big deal. I always grew up with a television in my bedroom, with cable (switched to DirecTV when I was 14), for as long as I can remember. And my parents didn't block out the premium channels either, such as HBO and Showtime (my parents were quite liberal about what they let me watch. They are very anti-censorship). I turned out fine.

The fact that I had a television in my room from a young age made it nothing special to me, so I didn't think twice of it, as opposed to when my friends would come over and want to do nothing more than watch TV, because they didn't have one back home. I would watch the ocassional shows, but the TV wasn't the centre of my life because I was so used to it. By putting a television in a kids room, I feel you get rid of the allure of it all, and suddenly, it's nothing special (sort of like how ten year-olds are served wine at dinner in many European countries).

I respect other people's opinions on the TV issue and parent's decissions not to allow thier children an in-room television, but to sterotype children with TVs in their room as "dumb" and "lazy" is ignorant.

Back to the topic...

For those thinking about getting their children certain gaming systems, don't forget four of them are about to become obsolete. The XBox is being replaced this fall by the far superior XBox 360 (and if you are going to buy your kid an XBox, don't be fooled into buying the $299 value model unless you really can't afford the $399 model, which is a far better value). The Gameboy Advance SP is joined by the Gameboy Micro, which is on sale next month (cost $20 more; the SP will still be produced alongside the Micro). The PS2 will be replaced by the PS3 next spring, and the GameCube replaced by Revolution sometime next year.

EmilyAR1
08-30-2005, 03:01 PM
. The Gameboy Advance SP is joined by the Gameboy Micro, which is on sale next month (cost $20 more; the SP will still be produced alongside the Micro). ........ and the GameCube replaced by Revolution sometime next year.
Will the Game cube games work on the Revolution?

What other info can you give me about these new nintendo products?

MAH4546
08-30-2005, 03:13 PM
Will the Game cube games work on the Revolution?

What other info can you give me about these new nintendo products?

The Gameboy Micro is the smallest Gameboy ever. The size of a small cell phone, and not much larger than a Gameboy cartridge, it plays all Gameboy Advance games. The screen is much brighter and, since it is the same resolution and smaller in size, of better quality. The technology, though, is the same. It will cost $99.99 and goes on sale next month (this could be a hot item come Christmas, so if your kids want one, get it in September when they should be easy to find). It includes three removeable faceplates that also act as screen protectors from wear and tear. They are designed to be thrown away and replaced, and replacement faceplates will be cheap (rumoured to be about $10 for a pack of three) so that the system's exterior won't suffer the wear and tear that a normal kid (or adult) would usually put on it. This is definitley one of the system's nicest features. Especially with kids, Gameboy screen's are extremely prone to getting scratched up very quickly. The removeable facecovers get rid of this problem.

It is very, very small. Younger kids will find the Gameboy Advance SP easier to use with it's grip and bigger screen. It's rectangular design makes it much easier to grip for adults and older kids with bigger hands, though kids with small hands will find the GBA SP's square design easier to use. It is aimed at the more style-concious middle school/high school crowd and adults. It does not replace the GBA SP, it complements it, and will cost $20 more. It does not play oldstyle Gameboy games like the GBA SP does. The system is so small that it includes a keychain slot!

http://pocketmedia.ign.com/pocket/image/article/645/645774/gba-micro-images-20050826113618465.jpg

The Revolution will play GameCube games. In addition, with Revolution, owners will be able to access Nintendo's library of classic games from NES, SNES, and N64, and download them onto the system's harddrive (they haven't said if this will be free or not; but they have hinted that it will either be free or very cheap since there is virtually no development costs associated in making old titles available again). The controls will also be wireless.

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/522/522559/igncubes-nintendo-revolution-faq-20050525023043066.jpg

More info here:
http://cube.ign.com/articles/522/522559p1.html

The Revolution will definitley be, like the current GameCube, the most kid friendly of the new generation consoles. However, it won't be out for at least 9-12 months, so rule it out of this year's X-Mas list. Though with the GC's $100 price tag, "upgrading" to a Revolution next Christmas wouldn't be that far fetched an idea. Also, while the new XBox 360 will cost $399, and the PS3 is likely to cost $300+, Nintendo is aiming at a price around $200 for the new system (though I think $250 is what one can expect).

hlane
08-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Well, I suppose that might be a problem if I felt that I had to "one up" each Christmas. I don't.

There are always new things to be had, or maybe even a time will come that I can't provide these type of things anymore. I tell you honestly my kids are not the type that would be devestated or angry if that day ever comes.

Thank you! ITA!!! My boys appreciate everything we do for them. Even if it's going to McDonald's they always say thank you. There has been times & will be times in the future when I can't give them everything they want but when it's possible it will happen because they are good kids and they deserve it. And as Brier Rose said I do it because it makes me happy :cloud9:

EmilyAR1
08-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Wow! Thanks MAH4546 for that great review! I hadn't heard about either item and I really appreciate you taking the tiem to review it for us!

michvin
08-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Just my thoughts on the subject...and I would like to first say that we are not a religious family by any means...spiritual, not religious. However, to read some of these replies stating that people spend hundreds of dollars per child is a bit much. Christmas does have a purpose...to celebrate the birth of Christ AND to celebrate the time we spend together. Yes, we give our children gifts, ages 6, 4 and 1, but $300 per child? $2000 on Christmas AND a Disney trip. Its no wonder kids always want more, more, more. Now, we are going on our first Disney trip this October for 8 nights, staying at the WL, have ADR's each day plus the tea party, pirate cruise, etc. But, Christmas will definately be toned down. We usually give Santa gifts, those requested on letter to Santa (not all of them) and then a few gifts from Mommy and DAddy. This year will be just Santa, plus maybe one small gift from us. We usually spend around $150 per child. Not big into the electronic games...my 6 year old plays chess, cards, legos, knex, etc. The 4 year old dresses up, colors, loves stickers, etc. The one year old gets plenty from family and we usually "give" her something that the other two played with before. As a SAHM, I am concerned about the things I hear from my son about what his friends, ages 6 -7, have at home, the XBOX, nintendo, etc. and tv's, and videos, and handheld things. When do kids get to be creative or quiet or read a book? We have some videos, Disney of course, and then PBS kids. I see the attention span of children decreasing each year my son is in school. Its really ashame that we, as a society, feel the need to give the kids what "everyone else has" and assume its okay. Maybe we should all look at the holiday season as a chance to chose to try something new...a book on the incredibles, a game that we played as kids and would love to play with our kids, paper airpane book, modeling clay, paints, music, etc. Just a thought, cause in the end, its all about the choices we make for our own families.

tinkerbellmom31
08-31-2005, 12:25 AM
Here's a working list of what were getting our kids for Christmas this year. We are cutting back this year as dh will be off work from Thanksgiving until ? (we'll see how it goes) for a total knee replacement & recovery from the surgery. I will also not be working to care for him.

DD (will be 11 ~ 10 days prior to Christmas):
*A dvd player for her room (the small one from Sam' Club that is $30.88)
*A Cd (probably Radio Disney)
*A DVD (*not sure what one)
*A new pair of pajamas (gets to open Christmas Eve and wear that night, a
tradition in our family)
*A sweatshirt and socks from Aeropostale (her favorite store)
*purse with a few Disney $ in it (We are hoping dh is recovered enough for
a spring trip)
*Stocking filled with socks, lipgloss, glitter nail polish and various little things
girls a cute bead kit)

Dd, 8:
*A cd player walkman type thing (pink)
* Cd
*Pajamas (again, Christmas Eve tradition)
*Sweatshirt and socks (trying to find cute one with horse on it)
*Purse with a few Disney $
*Stocking with similar things to sister, but pink sparkle nail polish
*Need one more idea here.
girls a cute bead kit)
My oldest will be 11 Dec 15th . I have such a hard time buying for her thank sfor the ideas. The Aeropostale is big with her and her friends too. We just bought new school clothes there. I used to get away with just Old Navy , I guess my baby is growing up getting into the popular name brands now :rolleyes: .

momof404
08-31-2005, 08:02 AM
We're letting them come with us to Disney! :rotfl2: Seriously, they know that's Christmas this year. They still have their grandparents to get them the "stuff".

Minnie824
08-31-2005, 01:58 PM
Well, I actually sat and read most of this thread, when I saw it, I wanted to get ideas on gifts for my DDs. One will be 4 and the other will be 1.5. We are going to Dis in Nov, so I hate to buy too much now, cuz I want to buy special stuff there as well, after seeing what they want. There seem to be a lot of debates here, especially with the tv. My almost 4 yo has a tv in her room now, not a new one, but an old tv/vcr combo where they can watch the disney vhs taps there. Both DDs love them. They watch when we're there with them, not just on their own 24 hrs per day. Eventually, they will have tvs, probably even a small plasma one (gasp!) up on their walls...obviously that won't be for a few years though. I had a tv in my room growing up, with cable, hbo and everything, and I turned out ok, I think....even got straight As. Everyone has different opinions on everything when it comes to kids (for example, a friend of mine is giving her DD no sugar by any means, in any food at all until shes 1) but, whatever. Get your DD the princess tv if she wants it.....actually we may end up with that as well, for one of our kids, not sure yet. If you don't want her to watch too much tv...just get the dvd/vcr also and don't hook up the cable. Just a suggestion. Now I'm still confused as to what to get my DDs for Christmas though, even after reading 8 pages. :o)

IStoleMyKidsPins
08-31-2005, 02:18 PM
I didn't go through the whole thread, so this may be a repeat. But yesterday I hit Toys R Us since they're having a 50% off green tag sale. There are several video games that were very cheap. I picked up 2 titles, Rocky, & Spyhunter{I can't remember if they were for Gamecube or Playstation 2} for $5 each. There were other titles too for both systems & also X-Box. Some very good deals.

FreeTime
08-31-2005, 02:32 PM
Christmas is a big debate each year in our family. I want to put a limit, Dh wants to go all out. Also, my FIL told me that DH & I should both get a part time job this year so that the kids can have a really nice Christmas! Wonder what I missed that last 5 years with tons or presents and too much money spent!

We are going on a cruise in Dec of 2006. I plan on giving them a DCL ship (if I can get them) with a note about the trip. A few outfits and some craft stuff. I'll try to put a limit on DH's spending!