PDA

View Full Version : Substitute Hours Cut - Need Help With Additional Income Please!!

chrismiss56
08-23-2005, 09:39 AM
Hi to All!! :wave:

Am posting this on the Community Board as well.

I have been a substitute teacher for the last 5 years and LOVE IT!! :sunny: The school district I work for has had a waiver with the State of Illinois allowing us to work as many days as we wanted (usually about 175 for me!!).

The waiver has expired and the state won't renew!! :faint: :eek: Now I am limited to 90 days in any one school district. Yes, I can add on other school districts and play the juggling game. I am spoiled and would rather not.

So, I am turning to you looking for suggestions for supplemental income. Any ideas that are reliable?

Have heard about medical transcriptions. Anyone doing that? How did you get started - taking classes? How did you find the company you are with?

Any help is always appreciated. :upsidedow

Thanks and Have a Magical Disney Day!! ::MickeyMo

Linda

chrismiss56
08-23-2005, 12:32 PM
bumping in hope of information!!

Have a Magical Disney Day!!

ptrbryant
08-23-2005, 12:34 PM
I keep hearing a lot of parents hiring tutors to help get their children up to par with the peers...I have no idea how much money is in that, but I've heard the Sylvan Learning Centers, etc. are very expensive. It seems you'd be able to make a fairly good part-time income from it.

Karla B.

kilee
08-23-2005, 12:51 PM
I did Medical Transcription for awhile. Realistically, you may luck out and find someone to just hire you. However, most of the time they are looking for a complete course in Medical Terminology. Along w/ typing 90+ words a minute. You usually get paid by the line. It is a great field but a little saturated lately.

kandeebunny
08-23-2005, 02:10 PM
If you have a sylvan near you check it out they pay around $12 an hour, my issue with them is it is NOT indiviualized, it is a SCRIPTED tutoring program. Where you have a repor in your school district perhaps advertise for private tutoring in your home after school (or theirs) you can make (depending where you live) from $35-$50 an hour.

chrismiss56
08-23-2005, 03:49 PM
The only problem with tutoring is that I am not a certified teacher - I have a substitute teacher certificate which I obtained with a college degree. I don't know how qualified I would be to advertise myself as a tutor unless I were to do it with younger children.

Thanks!!

ptrbryant
08-23-2005, 05:29 PM
as long as you were upfront with the potential client about it. After all, many people pay college students to tutor if it's a subject they're good at!

Karla B. :sunny:

PrincessKitty
08-23-2005, 05:51 PM
I keep hearing a lot of parents hiring tutors to help get their children up to par with the peers...I have no idea how much money is in that, but I've heard the Sylvan Learning Centers, etc. are very expensive. It seems you'd be able to make a fairly good part-time income from it.

Karla B.

An acquaintance of mine who teaches elementary school told me she makes more money tutoring teens for their SATs than she makes as a teacher. And she only accepts cash for the tutoring and her advertising is strictly word-of-mouth. She does have a PhD, but she earned that AFTER she became a successful tutor.

Colinsmom
08-23-2005, 09:13 PM
I agree with tutoring. I did it one summer while I was in college, and had NO problem getting students with a simple ad in the local paper.

Tigger1
08-24-2005, 06:39 AM
What do substitutes get pad in Illinois or any other state. In Oklahoma I think it is $50 or less per day.

Tigger

chrismiss56
08-24-2005, 07:03 AM
It varies within the State of Illinois - Up in the Chicago area it is anywhere between $90 - 105 a day. Usually have to be there at 8:05 and leave at 3:15. The high schools pay more.

Linda

problemchild718
08-24-2005, 08:48 AM
Why not go back to school and become a certified teacher?!? If you love the job and have some college-it shouldn't take 4 years. You could go at night and sub your 90 days-do some tutoring in addition to your day job. You might also see about an aide job at the school, let them pay for your education and still have an "in" when you are done and need a teaching job. I know it sounds daunting, but its not that bad-I went back for my nursing degree and while it stunk at the time, it was SOOOO worth it.
"If you dream it, you can do it!!!"

drakethib
08-28-2005, 10:00 PM
The only problem with tutoring is that I am not a certified teacher - I have a substitute teacher certificate which I obtained with a college degree. I don't know how qualified I would be to advertise myself as a tutor unless I were to do it with younger children.

Thanks!!

Heck I would hire a someone who is not only a Certified Sub-Teacher but a college grad as well (See how good that sounds when you say it as such :goodvibes ) to tutor my kids in a New York second.

Don't sell yourself short !!!!

chrismiss56
08-29-2005, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the encouragement. I will definitely check into tutoring.........

canwegosoon
08-29-2005, 07:49 AM
What about a Merchandising job...stocking cards etc...I believe hours are flexible.

btass
08-29-2005, 12:36 PM
If you have the ability to make things, you can see if there is a Women's Exchange in your area. They sell things for women that make stuff at home.

barkley
08-29-2005, 02:36 PM
check with any local colleges (community or other)-i was paid well to be a note taker for hearing impaired students as well as a reader (i recorded books for sight impaired students) it is usualy handled through "office for students with disabilities". also the colleges often have job boards that list temp. positions (invantory, short term, etc.). also check with a temp agency-they will evaluate your skills-you may find that you are very marketable (alot of jobs go unfilled because folks only want full time or those with benefits). call your city or county personnel department and find out if they hire temp. staff themselves or through an agency (these jobs can pay union scale wages but are temp. due to hireing freezes).

best of luck!

gwcollins71
08-29-2005, 06:42 PM
Linda, where do you live?

I know in Chicago, a good sub could pretty much work everyday if they wanted. I no longer am in Chicago. I am in the Plainfield/Joliet area. I don't know how our subbing works here.

Good luck. Oh yeah, Sylvan or Huntington won't hire you unless you have a teaching degree or a subject background in whatever you're tutioring.

What about temping in the bigger areas?

PM me if you have any questions.

Gretchen

angelkisses
08-29-2005, 06:50 PM
I work for the Post Office but recently started selling on eBay to supplement my income. I'm putting all eBay money aside for VACATIONS!!!! I've been very fortunate as I have been hitting yard sales to purchase name brand clothing for practically nothing and then selling them on eBay. I also scout out the local GoodWill stores for deals. This past week I purchased a pair of RockPort Men's Dress Shoes (NEW) for $6.99 and they sold on eBay for $34. For someone who enjoys playing around on the computer it's a fun and easy way to make a few extra dollars....doesn't seem like work at all. I have been averaging about 6 hours a week with the eBay business and made about $400 profit this month.

Merandab4
08-30-2005, 09:55 AM
Linda,
I am in the same situation. (almost). this will be my third year as a substitute teacher, although I have my 4 year degree, I also am certified as well.
I worked at Sulvan one semester and disliked it very much. The parents pay a lot of $ and I don't feel the children get the attention they deserved. i had up to three students during one session and they were all different grade levels and working on different subjects. It just didn't work out for me.

I also did Theraputic Support. You do not need a teaching degree to do this, but you will need a four year degree and experience with children. You can do this in a home setting or at school. I chose to do mine at school. basically what you do is aid one particular student. He or she usually has a disability or a behavaorial problem. You keep track of their behavior while at school, and come up with a treatment plan to help them. This kind of job is usually flexible, so you can work around your subbing days. They usually require 10-20 hours a week. And the pay is usually between 10-13$ per hour, depending on experience. I did this for a while, until the child I was working with finally got kicked out of school, (yea, he was real bad). I then decided not to take on another client as I was getting too much work as a sub. This is a job through the county, so you will need to contact your local agency or child and youth office.

This year I didn't know if I wanted to sub or not. Like you I only prefer to go to one school district. So far I have really built up a reputation at this district and get a lot of work. The problem is, I can't see myself being a teacher for those 30 plus years. I am trying to find another "career", but in this area, it hard to find a good paying job that you could consider making a career out of! So I am going to sub until I find that "perfect" job! Where else can you work only the days you want to, and take time off to travel anytime you want?
Good Luck!