PDA

View Full Version : what are the benefits of an Ap

sct
08-22-2005, 01:31 PM
I'm planning a trip to WDW in October and can't decide if I should get an AP or not. We're going for 13 days and I was planning on getting 10 day hoppers ($234 each). We are eatting at alot of restaurants so now I'm thinking maybe one of the adults should get an AP to get free parking and so that we can get the DDE card (to get the dining discounts). Does the AP entitle to any other discounts in stores at or near the parks. I'm not really interested in any room discounts because we're staying offsite. Thanks for any info.

poohj80
08-22-2005, 03:29 PM
There are also AP room discounts at some times of the year (but you're staying off-site), a 10% discount at the WoD store in DTD, and some dining discounts (but the DDE would be better especially if you are staying 13 days).

MKOATEYW
08-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Don't forget frre them park parking. At $8 per day that can add up too.

poohj80
08-22-2005, 04:13 PM
I didn't include the parking since sct already mentioned that perk.

sct
08-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Is World of Disney the only store that gives a discount? Also, do any counter service restaurants give a discount with the AP (I think I have to buy an AP to buy a DDE card since I'm not a Florida resident). The DDE only gives discoounts at table service restaurants (I think)

Lisa loves Pooh
08-22-2005, 06:23 PM
No discounts with AP's for in the parks except 10% for EPCOT during lunch hours Monday-Friday (sitdowns, World Showcase only) and Rainforest Cafe at AK after 2:30pm (15% off rainforest merchandise at AK).

Merchandise discounts at DTD: Arribas Brothers (10%--there are exclusions), Ghiradelli (shop merchandise only--no food--10%), House of blues (10%--some exclusions), LEGO ($5 off $50 or more), Planet Hollywood &Rainforest (10% merchandise), Starabilia's (10%), Virgin Megastore (10%--exclusions), World of Disney (10%--some exclusions), Basin (10%--regular priced merchandise)

Dining Discounts at a handful of resort restaurants Monday-Friday during lunch hours including Kona Cafe, ESPN Club, Concourse Steakhouse, Trail's End, Grand Floridian Cafe, Olivia's (OKW), Whispering Canyon Care, Yacht Club Gallery.

(These discounts are on my Florida Residents Seasonal AP but are I think--the same for the regular AP).

Parking will only be $80 for you. AP's are over $300.

DDE can be purchased for $50 with a valid AP (must have the actual AP to purchase it--but you can have a temporary letter faxed to Guest Services at EPCOT and be able to use it on your trip).

BUT--you save 20% on sit down meals...including Alchohol. It is good in Resort Bars. It is good at most sit downs at EPCOT (I believe 1 or 2 are excluded). It is good at counterservice in AK and the All Star Resorts (b/c there are no sit down restaurants). You would get more bang for your AP buck--if you intend to eat out a lot and especially if you plan on consuming alchohol.

For the AP alone--the sit down discounts are a nice extra..but IMHO--not a good reason alone to get the AP b/c they are very limiting. The person who owns the AP must be the one using it--so if you decide to split up, cannot use it.

You must calculate expected expenses in eligible restaurants, add in the parking that you will get for free--and see if that warrants the $150-$200 additional expense. If you are just breaking even, it isn't worth it.

You figure that you have to spend $350-600 in eligible restaurants to break even on the DDE....less if you buy your souvenirs at DTD.