PDA

View Full Version : Electric Bill Estimating help? (NY State)

Stacy's a freak
08-21-2005, 12:57 PM
I'm buying my first house in the next month and I'm obsessed with estimating my monthly budget. Can anyone help me estimate my electric bill (the only unknown for me)?

Here are some specifics:

One and 1/2 occupants - me and the dog. ::MinnieMo :dog:

1600 square foot, one-story, house with a basement and attached 2-car garage.

All electric appliances (fridge, washer/dryer, stove, dishwasher, new water heater, garage door opener).

Oil heat, but it's forced hot-air.

Anyone care to hazard an educated guess? Normally, I would just contact the electric company (if it weren't a Sunday), but the house was occupied by an elderly woman who has been living in an assisted care facility since about February. I'm afraid that her usage/bill would be less than mine, hence skewing the estimate.

I'm budgeting $150/month, but I'm hoping that it will be less (of course).

Thanks in advance!

C.Ann
08-21-2005, 01:53 PM
I'm buying my first house in the next month and I'm obsessed with estimating my monthly budget. Can anyone help me estimate my electric bill (the only unknown for me)?

Here are some specifics:

One and 1/2 occupants - me and the dog. ::MinnieMo :dog:

1600 square foot, one-story, house with a basement and attached 2-car garage.

All electric appliances (fridge, washer/dryer, stove, dishwasher, new water heater, garage door opener).

Oil heat, but it's forced hot-air.

Anyone care to hazard an educated guess? Normally, I would just contact the electric company (if it weren't a Sunday), but the house was occupied by an elderly woman who has been living in an assisted care facility since about February. I'm afraid that her usage/bill would be less than mine, hence skewing the estimate.

I'm budgeting $150/month, but I'm hoping that it will be less (of course).

Thanks in advance!
--------------------

If it will be through Niagara Mohawk, I think that estimate will definitely work and probably with a decent "cushion".. Also keep in mind that after you are in the house for a year you could switch over to the budget plan - where they base your monthly bill according to the past years usage..

How exciting! Congrats on movng into your new home.. :flower:

doxdogy
08-21-2005, 02:43 PM
You may want to try calling the electric company and ask for a general amount the previous owners paid. Conratulations on your new home.

ducklite
08-21-2005, 03:46 PM
You may want to try calling the electric company and ask for a general amount the previous owners paid. Conratulations on your new home.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. NiMo, PSEG, ConEd, whoever you will have will be able to look up the records for the previous year and give you an average.

Anne

hobogary
08-21-2005, 04:08 PM
NYSE&G here, and it sounds right (and maybe high) ours with elect heat avg $200, tenents is 100 with oil heat. And again, call the utility and they can help you estimate, enjoy your new home. Oh, and keeping the dog from turning up the thermostat will help too.

Stacy's a freak
08-21-2005, 04:22 PM
NYSE&G here, and it sounds right (and maybe high) ours with elect heat avg $200, tenents is 100 with oil heat. And again, call the utility and they can help you estimate, enjoy your new home. Oh, and keeping the dog from turning up the thermostat will help too.
lol - that dog is handy - I'll have to put a lock on the theromstat and call myself the Heat Miser (a name originally given to my dad).

iNTeNSeBLue98
08-21-2005, 04:48 PM
Based on what we pay for First Energy/Met-Ed here in south-central PA, I think that $150/month will average out over the year. My bill last month with 3 window A/C units was just under $170 - the highest usage so far this year, almost 1,900 KWH. We've been on a budget that has us paying $89/month. That's for cooking, fridge, and dryer. We have oil for heat and hot water, but the furnace still uses electric to turn on. We also have one baseboard in a converted porch that is now a bedroom.

Stacy's a freak
08-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Based on what we pay for First Energy/Met-Ed here in south-central PA, I think that $150/month will average out over the year. My bill last month with 3 window A/C units was just under $170 - the highest usage so far this year, almost 1,900 KWH. We've been on a budget that has us paying $89/month. That's for cooking, fridge, and dryer. We have oil for heat and hot water, but the furnace still uses electric to turn on. We also have one baseboard in a converted porch that is now a bedroom.
Thank you! This is exactly the type of info I am looking for. Knowing what kind of appliances and usage paired with your bill is great info! I hate spending money :rolleyes:

NYMomof4
08-21-2005, 09:18 PM
I live in NY with Niagara Mohawk as the electric provider. I have a 1850 sq ft home and 4 kids that leave lights on and play video games/watch tv...My bill averages in the 70$ range mostly and the highest I've had is 92$ for July with the central air conditioning blasting all month. My bills are extreme for the gas heat in the winter-electric is manageable.

You should have more than enough to cover it.

rantnnravin
08-22-2005, 03:00 AM
Of course, if it's Long Island, you just triple your reasonable estimate. :rotfl2:

LorieR
08-22-2005, 06:59 AM
I am on an 11-month budget with LIPA here on Long Island!! I pay $161 a month this year :eek: for a house that is less than 1000 square feet!! We have electric appliances but oil heat (which is another $171 a month)!!

Lorie

MCazer
08-22-2005, 11:25 AM
I live on Long Island, and unless you live in Rockeville Centre, LIPA (Long Island Power Authority) will own you forever. Our last bill was $271 and that was on the low side for a summer bill.

rantnnravin
08-22-2005, 02:30 PM
I bet if Richard Kessel would go on a diet, they'd be able to lower the rates... :laughing:

C.Ann
08-22-2005, 02:35 PM
***Mental Note To Self: Eliminate Long Island from the list of possible places I might like to live...... :earseek:

PoohBearLovinMama
08-22-2005, 02:57 PM
We use NiMo here and with 2 computers that are on all day, forced air oil heat and all appliances (including 2 air units in the summer) we average about $150-160 a month. Pair that with our $200 a month oil heat bill. Congrats on your house!

Stacy's a freak
08-22-2005, 06:28 PM
Sheesh - you Long Islanders get my sympathy! I'm thankful that I live in the middle of cow country, central ny :goodvibes