PDA

View Full Version : Tops on Selling a Car

Kramer
08-21-2005, 08:33 AM
I'm sure some of you must have some great ideas for the best way to sell a car.

We are looking to sell one of our cars since my in-laws just got a new car and gave us their old car. What is the best way to attract buyers? We have a For Sale sign on the car and have posted some flyers around town. I have a classified ad ready for the paper as well.

Has anyone sold a car on ebay or other internet sites like cars.com?

Also, one more question - did you write up any kind of sale agreement with your buyer?

Thanks guys!

RichNKatHolly
08-21-2005, 08:37 AM
Sold a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am in 2003 for $8000 through autobytel.com. I only had 2 calls about it, but the second family purchased it with CASH in a nice fat envelope! For some reason it seems these internet sites fetch more $$. I had purchased the car for $10000 in 2001 from a dealer.

I just wrote up a bill of sale on the computer and we all signed a copy. I think it had listed my name as seller, the name of the buyer, mileage, VIN number, date and price. Also, the words "sold AS IS".

Good luck to you!!!

Pea-n-Me
08-21-2005, 08:58 AM
Subscribing for ideas. Getting ready to sell a truck. Last time we sold a Jeep - prior to the internet as we now know it - it took forever and finally a dealer who saw it when he was driving by bought it. :rolleyes: Thanks for any tips. :wizard:

Cheshire Figment
08-21-2005, 09:59 AM
A couple of years ago I sold a 1969 Cougar Convertible with 232,000 miles on it and not in running condition on eBay for $3,150. The listing had over 4,000 hits. I set a minnimum of $500, a reserve of $1,500 and a Buy It Now of $4,005.10, the original sticker price.

I had to sell it as we were moving from Northern Virginia to Florida and there was no way I could handle it in the condition it was in.

I asked people to e-mail me their phone number and I then called with more information. The winning bid was from Northern New Jersey. The buyer came down with a pickup and rented U-Haul car trailer. He looked at the car to verify it was as I had described it. We then went to my bank where they contacted his bank to verify that the money orders were valid and I deposited the amount in my acocunt, and we all went to lunch. Over lunch we signed the title over, along with a bill of sale and gave him the maintenance records. We then went back to my house, loaded the car on the trailer, and he went home.

We later got reports of what work was done in the rerhab, and last I heard the car has a rebuilt engine and new upholstery and is running fine.

DisneyTarheel
08-21-2005, 11:15 AM
You might try taking a look at the website howstuffworks and searching on "selling a car." I'd post the url, but don't have enough posts here to qualify yet.
There is some good advice there.

summerrluvv
08-21-2005, 07:19 PM
www.craigslist.com is a good site too.

Pea-n-Me
08-21-2005, 09:38 PM
Has anybody used Want Ad online? We found what we're going to buy today so now we have to get the truck sold. :confused3

PrincessKitty
08-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Make sure the car is titled in the buyers name before they drive away. Don't just sign the title over to them.....accompany them to wherever you go in your state to register the title, so that you know the title is OFFICIALLY registered to them.

Reason is, if you sign the title over to them but they have an accident before the title is registered, YOU may be financially responsible.