PDA

View Full Version : Can S.s. Benefits Go To Disney???

aaroncg
08-20-2005, 01:04 PM
My kids just started s.s. survivor benefits. can i save some of that money for a disney trip?? you have to show a tally every month on what you used the money for and i dont know what will qualify. does anyone out there know how to handle this??? thank you.

Holly
08-20-2005, 01:16 PM
My son has been receiving SS Survivor benefits for 11 years. In that time, I have never had to show documentation for what the money was used for. I remember the woman at SS telling me that the money was a substitute for the money that deceased parent would have been contributing. Why shouldn't some of it be used for a vacation? :confused3

At the end of every year, you should receive a document asking you how much of the money was used for the care of the child, and how much was saved. It does not ask what the money was used for. Plus, if you deposit with your regular household money, there is really no way to tell which money is used for what.

kandeebunny
08-20-2005, 01:30 PM
I got ss surviver benefits from age 12-21 and my mom NEVER had to keep track of what she used it for. As long as I was eating and had clothes and was in school and had proper medical care...they didn't care

hentob
08-20-2005, 01:33 PM
Am I understanding that the children have lost a parent? I see nothing wrong with using this money to shed some happiness in their lives, as long as they are fed, properly housed and clothed.

Hugs to any child that must receive survivor's benefits :guilty:

goofy370
08-20-2005, 08:15 PM
My friend's brother is receiving too and they don't have to keep track of where the money goes either. It took a long time for the benefits to start though.

candykisses
08-20-2005, 08:22 PM
Yes, it's acceptable to use part of the benefits for a vacation.