PDA

View Full Version : How much is wine in Publix?

lmountford
08-18-2005, 05:45 PM
We will be arriving from the UK 13th Oct for a fortnight.
I have a voucher for 25 off 75 at wine.com and considered having some delivered to resort. Prices start around $8 a standard size bottle
( 75 cl ) plus $10 delivery . However we don't want that many bottles.

Does anyone know much a moderately decent chardonnay or white zinfandel would be in publix which is where our grocery stop will be? I am reluctant to waste the coupon but suspect I may not get the best deal with it.

Now I'm worried that everyone will think I'm too fond of the sauce :blush:

dvcgirl
08-18-2005, 06:34 PM
No worries....we hit the Pubs pretty good when we visited London last year!

You can get a decent 750 ml Aussie chardonnay for $8...and by decent I don't mean high end by any means, but definitely drinkable. The Yellow Tail isn't too bad in that range. A decent california white will run more like 10. But by going up to say 14-16 you'll have a much better bottle. White zin...haven't had that one in awhile, but I'm betting you could get a 1.5 liter in the $12-13 range.

I would just do publix though....they have a reasonable selection and you don't have to buy massive amounts.

Cheers!!

mum4jenn
08-18-2005, 07:58 PM
So how long is a fortnight?????

Tigger113
08-18-2005, 09:17 PM
So how long is a fortnight?????

2 Weeks if I'm not mistaken!

lmountford
08-19-2005, 02:10 AM
You're right on the button Tigger113 . Mum4jen I didn't realise this wasn't a common word in the US as well as the UK . I find the differences in the way the two countries use English really interesting. Thanks for all the great info dvcgirl . I'm afraid I'm probably not enough of an expert to appreciate a high end wine. I like comparatively sweet ( think cheap liebfraumilch, piesporter or hock) and preferably a pretty colour, hence the white zinfandel. My more sophisticated friends cosider my preferences an embarassment !

CarolA
08-19-2005, 06:36 AM
Well, I can't recall what wine goes for in the UK but from my purchases in other parts of Europe... be prepared for sticker shock no matter which way you go... A cheap wine is $10 or so a bottle here.

BonnieA
08-19-2005, 06:44 AM
I also drink a white zinfandel. Publix has a good selection in many price ranges. Buy the wine there and skip the delivery charges, you'll save money. :flower3:

Karel
08-19-2005, 07:33 AM
If you like something sweet, you might like Arbor Mist. Lots of different flavors and you should be able to get a nice size bottle for under $10.

drdelsol
08-19-2005, 09:26 AM
You can get Arbor Mist for $7.99-$9.99 for 1.5 l at my Publix. I like the cheaper less dry wines also. I could really care less about the nuances, I just want to like what I drink. Publix carries Boone's farm and I think Mad Dog also,lol.

When you get back home, you should really try making some wine yourself. You can make a good Ice Wine "type" dessert wine for approximately $4-5 a bottle as opposed to $45 or more for the real thing.

DebšošS
08-19-2005, 10:44 AM
We stop at Publix for food & wine on the way to BWV. The prices were very good. I get one good bottle of chard & a less expensive big bottle like Yellow Tail that lasts the whole trip. Next trip will be during Food & Wine so I don't think I'll stock up on wine. We'll be drinking enough. :dog2:

lmountford
08-19-2005, 03:16 PM
Many thx for all the replies. I hadn't taken into account that we are going during food and wine also and will be staying at Beach Club Villas for 3 of our 14 nights to benefit from the short walk to EPCOT.So that means I will need to buy even less at Publix :-)

dvcgirl
08-19-2005, 03:38 PM
You're right on the button Tigger113 . Mum4jen I didn't realise this wasn't a common word in the US as well as the UK . I find the differences in the way the two countries use English really interesting. Thanks for all the great info dvcgirl . I'm afraid I'm probably not enough of an expert to appreciate a high end wine. I like comparatively sweet ( think cheap liebfraumilch, piesporter or hock) and preferably a pretty colour, hence the white zinfandel. My more sophisticated friends cosider my preferences an embarassment !

Heh, well we have friends who spend thousands of dollars a year on very expensive bottles of wine. Showing up with a bottle that is less than $50 at their homes is an outrage, so I know just what you mean. We do enjoy a nice bottle out with dinner when we go to a nice restaurant, but when we imbibe at home we're bargain hunters. There are some very nice bottles in the 15-25$ range, and in a pinch good ole Yellow Tail Shiraz for about 8 bucks is not so bad (we drink reds almost exclusively). With whites and white zins you can get by pretty cheap....you'll find a nice selection at publix...I wouldn't bother with the shipping thing.