PDA

View Full Version : Other kids activities -- how much do you pay?

jlw29
08-18-2005, 10:21 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The piano lesson thread got me wondering about other kids activities. Alot of times I feel like we're getting a great deal for our money, other times I compare it to rural PA where we used to live (we live in Philly burbs now) and want to cry at how much more stuff is here. We have 2 girls DD10 and DD 7. Here's their activities and the cost:

Little League -- both -- Spring $55 per kid, Fall Ball $30 per kid (DH and I are both on the board of directors so could get this for free)
Dance -- both -- $50 / month for first (45 min - 1 hr a week) class, $45 for 2nd, $40 for 3rd and subsequent. Cost is per kid, not per family (5% discount on 2nd kid) (Our total monthly is $180.50) Recital costumes and fees last year came out to just over $500
Gymnastics -- DD7 -- $220 / month + competition fees (This is her first year of competition {level 4, hopefully going to level 5 in the spring} so I'm not sure how much those will be)
Basketball -- DD10 -- $80 for rec league, much more if she makes travel team
Pitching lessons -- DD10 -- $35 / half hour
Band (instrument rental) -- DD10 -- $48 / month (but we can apply rental cost to purchase price if she sticks with it)
School softball team -- uniform costs only (if she makes the team)

Back home (based on what friends there are paying) it would be Little League $30, Dance $30 / class / month (would be $95 total w/ sib discounts), basketball $25, gym $55 / month (but that would only be recreational, not competitive), no pitching lessons available, and don't know about band.

Wow. I never realized just how much activities were costing us. Please tell me I'm not the only one spending this much!

ajm1107
08-18-2005, 10:26 AM
My DS (6)

Baseball in the spring $60, goes up to $80 next year
Soccer in the fall $55, plus new uniform ($45)
CCD $70
Boy Scouts unknown cost right now
Swimming lessons $30 during the summer for a two week lesson for 1/2 hour four days a week. Plus $8.00 per private lesson. Who knows what it will be through the rest of the year.

That is in Nebraska

Allabtprincesses
08-18-2005, 10:32 AM
My oldest DD is almost 6, and we allow her one "outside of school" activity at a time. That's fine with her, because she loves dance! She takes a ballet class at our local community college. We pay $60 a semester, so $120 for Sept.-May. Minimal expense in clothing as she is simply required to wear a black leotard, pink tights and pink ballet slippers. We paid $25 for her recital costume in the spring. I wouldn't say she is getting the best instruction possible at this point, but her teacher is a professional, and if my DD gets more serious at some point we will enroll her someplace more suited. We also live in an area where there is lots to do at many different levels of cost (N of Baltimore).

Wish Upon A Star
08-18-2005, 10:38 AM
DS is involved in 2 activities:

Park & Rec Basketball - $35 for the season

Hip House Middle School Dance Party (another Park & Rec sponsored activity)
$25 includes snacks, dj and he gets to be with all his friends on Friday Nights once a month during the school year . . . :dancer: :rockband:

CheapMom
08-18-2005, 10:49 AM
DD- Ice Skating $70 for 6 weeks (6 lessons plus 6 practice sessions) (she does 12-18 weeks per year)
DD Soccer - $70 season
DD Softball - $55 season
DD Girl Scouts - about $75 - $100 per year including field trips
DS - Soccer - $60 season (outdoor)
DS Soccer - $50 season (indoor)
DS Lacrosse - $85 season (the equipment is VERY expensive when they first start - around $300 for helmet, pads, stick... I got the stuff used and paid just under $200)
Spanish (after school enrichment program) $180 per year for both kids

WOW- that is a lot! I never itemized it out like that.

Thank Goodness DS quit Ice Hockey- that is the grandaddy of expensive kids activities.

carone0318
08-18-2005, 11:03 AM
The killer is gymnastics. I live in NJ, but honestly I don't think that competitive gymnastics is much cheaper anywhere else. I am now paying $270 per month, plus $50 per month assessment fee. The USAG reg. fee of $50 for the yr, $150 for comp leo, $105 for warm up, plus meet fees which are roughly about $50-60 per meet. It is very expensive. And let's not forget gym camp for the week was $700. She also plays competitive soccer which is about $350 a yr and then winter indoor is about another $100. Soccer camp for week was $400. My ds is 4 and is just starting, he is playing U-4 soccer which is $50 for the season. At least I am smart enough not to get him into gymnastics....We are thinking swimming, but he does love golf and living on a golf course doesn't help that. For dd we are too late, she loves gymnastics and we are only level 5, it gets to be more expensive and she moves up in levels, then once we hit 7, I have to pay for routines at about $200 a shot.

The pain, calgon take me away!

momxx5
08-18-2005, 11:12 AM
It certainly does add up. I have never written it all down, so I may be in for a shock......

soccer - Spring 3DSx $45 = $135
Fall 2x$45 = $ 90

football - Fall = $75

basketball 3x $30 =$90

Tae-kwon-do -2 kids 2x/week = $120/month
- belt testing 2 Ds = $45/kid (averages 4-5 times/yr)

Dance 2 DDs = 4 instructional hrs/week = $120/month
-costumes 5 x $60 = $300/yr
-performance fees, ect =$300/yr

DS - sax for school band = $50/month

This does not include team & individual pictures, trophies, coach gifts, etc.

Nor does this include school events, fundraisers, PTO, etc.

Not sure if I want a running total of all of this...maybe why I'm not making the budget each month.
Thanks for the wake-up to see where it all goes.

ceecee
08-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Color Guard $300.00 a year
Dance $750.00 (a year for 4 classes a week)
Gymnastics $75.00 a month
Brownies/Girl Scouts $50.00 a year
Summer Camps (she usually does 2 one week day camps) $150.00
That's all for DD, she is 9.

goofyforlife
08-18-2005, 11:28 AM
For DD 12

Baton/Poms - $20 a month for lessons (Dec-Sept.), $65 for warm up suit (that it too hot to wear now), $15 for earrings, $85 for poms costume, $30 for baton, $25 for new baton, $20 for shoes, $75 for comp. entry fees, $20 for t-shirts

Girl Scouts - $20 registration, $25 for new cadette sash, $40 for hat, sweatshirt, & shirt she wanted. (some other small fees during year)

However- our cheapest for next year......

Riding Lessons - FREE - because she became a working student at the farm.

She needs to work 2 Saturdays a month and 1 day a week after school.

But it will be saving us $120 every 6 weeks. Only drawback is that my DH and I dread picking her up afterwards (Horse SMELL) and the half hour ride in the car.....

Oh I do have to buy muck boots for her ($20-30).

I noticed others are including summer camps:

$240 for two weeks of career camp
$250 for 1 week sleep-away fashion camp (thru Girls Scouts)
$105 for 1 week at GS Neighborhood travel camp
$450 for 2 weeks sleep-away horse camp
FREE for 3 1/2 weeks as worker for local horse camp (she gets some rides,crafts, and water fun like paying campers though)

canwegosoon
08-18-2005, 11:33 AM
My 2 boys
Scouts (free)-$ 30 for uniforms
Soccer 60
Baseball 110
Swimming 175 (Winter lessons..might drop this year)
Summer Act 180 (season tickets to Great escape for 3 of us)
Total 555
Might consider skiing or golf lessons this year.

mom23boys
08-18-2005, 11:34 AM
I also live in the Philly Suburbs and it does add up, this is what we pay for our older DS (11 and 6):

Soccer (for 6 yo) - $75

Winter Swimming (both kids)- $360

Basketball (11 yo) - $65

Baseball (LL for both) - $100

Baseball (travel for 11 yo) - $150

Hitting instrution and private baseball lessons (11yo) - $300

Summer Swimming (for both) - $100

CCD (for both) - $120

Brier Rose
08-18-2005, 11:45 AM
DS hasn't started anything yet, so it's all about DD right now!

Riding Lessons - $140 a month (one lesson a week) plus tack, and show fees.

Social - (ballroom dance and etiquette) $375 plus dresses, shoes, gloves,etc..
classes run every other week from October - May.

Voice - $70.00 a month (2 lessons a month)

She wants to add Art this session, but we'll have to see. There's only so many days in a week right!

EthansMom
08-18-2005, 11:49 AM
DS is 4

$62.50 per month for DS's swim lessons +$35/yr reg. fee
$2090 for the year for DS's preschool
$200 for two weeks of day summer camp at the local children's gym
$60 for four weeks of day summer camp through our town's rec center

Total of $3135 for the year for swim, preschool, and summer camp.

DD will start Mom and Tot swim lessons next summer, but we won't have any preschool costs next year because DD won't be old enough and DS will be in Kindergarten.

madge
08-18-2005, 12:00 PM
My older boys are beyond little league sports--I haven't paid those fees in a couple of years. The activities they participate in now are school sponsored and don't have a fee, thankfully!

So far, my youngest (DD3) is in gymnastics--$30/month

She will play soccer in the spring--$45/season (includes uniform, but not shoes)

Library Story hour is free.

As soon as it's scheduled, we will do Kindermusic as well. Not sure of that cost, I imagine it will run $250-300.

RichNKatHolly
08-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Whew! I see most of you spend alot on activities.

Of course, we spent alot more when it was only DS. He had music, playgroup, swimming.

Now, after a 1.5 year break from all activities we will bring both DD and DS back to swimming.

Since the kids have a YMCA membership ($12/mo) the cost is $60 every 8 weeks x 2. DS now will swim by himself and DD will go in with me.

We are in NYC.

slgober
08-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Wow - several gymnastic families here!! We are level 5 USAG too!!

We are in central Georgia...

We have:
DS8
Football $80
Basketball $80
Baseball $80
(plus shoes/cleats, photos, etc.)
Now he really wants acting classes, so I am trying to get some info on that...

DD10
Gymnastics $190/month (she goes four days a week/four hours a day)
plus competition leo $165, warm up suit $150, warm up leo $65, bag $45, team t-shirt $15, regular work out leos $125, annual registration fee $45, USAG# $45, private lessons $40/hour during competetion season, plus travel expenses (hotel, eating out and gas) for out of town meets.
Also we have a booster club which requires an additional $1,000 in fees, advertising requirements and fundraisers which always come out of our pocket because I work at home and my husband can't do fundraisers at work and none of our family is interested!!
The gym is quite a distance away as well and I would say it costs at least $250 a month in gas just back and forth to the gym. I am so ready for the gas prices to go down!!!
Oh yeah, gym camp at UGA over the summer $525.
Basketball $80
Softball $80

DD13
Dance $65/month
Basketball $80
Band instrument $30/month
Now she wants horseback riding or modeling classes, getting info for that...

DS15
Baseball $80
Soccer $80
Basketball $80
Band instrument $30/month

Man, no wonder I we haven't been to Disney in nine years!! :earseek: My kids are spending all my money!!!

That gymnastics is the killer! If she didn't love it so much I would stop in a minute!!

Stephanie :wave2:

dismom9761
08-18-2005, 12:32 PM
i don't know if I want to add this up but here goes..
DS9-travel baseball team $300 for uniform,etc.Also $30 a tournament which is usually twice a month.League BB fall and spring are free(DH is on the Board and helps run the league-volunteer)Football is $85.Pitching lessons twice a month at $40.
DS7-League BB is free.Travel ball is about $60 a month for tournament fees.His uniform was given by a sponsor.Football cost $40.He wants to do cub scouts and I don't know what that will cost.
DD6-cheerleading that cost $40.She is starting brownies and I don't know what that will cost.Riding lessons $130 every 5 weeks.She has tried baseball,soccer,softball,gymnastics,ballet and tap.She didn't like any of them.
It sounds like alot but they cnstantly want to do more.Thank goodness the baby is too young to do anything.
I didn't try to add up the cost of going to all the out of town tournaments.Hotels,gate fees,eating out all adds up for a family of 6.

Julia M
08-18-2005, 01:08 PM
I have three kids, so here goes.....we live in Silicon Valley

Last school year was

Oldest ds (7th grade)
*school flag football $90
*fall baseball $75
*hitting lessons ($30 per half hour.......maybe 6 lessons)
*school basketball $75
*Little League Juniors $150
*hitting lessons ($30 per half hour.......maybe 15 lessons)
golf academy $500??

Middle dd (4th grade)
*fall soccer $100
*horseback riding $240 every 8 weeks
baton I set aside $375 twelve months a year to pay for lessons, entry fees, associated travel,etc, because some months have more expenses, and some less
*Girl Scouts $50
*pre club volleyball team/class $300

Youngest ds (2nd grade)
*soccer $100
*Cub Scouts $75
*Cub Scout Camp $100, plus having to work two days at camp
*Little League baseball $150

this year, youngest ds may add in fall ball ($75), and dd is adding in school volleyball ($80). DD will also be adding in dance class once a week, after soccer ends, at about $80 per month.

It adds up!

Julia

mrsbornkuntry
08-18-2005, 01:32 PM
I have 5 kids, but so far only 3 participate in activities (the other two aren't quite old enough). We're military so we pay the department of defense. I limit our kids to one sport and one other activity at a time.

Initial yearly registration fee (covers sports and any daycare for all children) $40

DD9
karate--$35 per month plus uniform, belt and testing fees

DS7
baseball--$35 per season plus glove, pants, cleats
basketball--$35 per season
youth bowling league-- ?? (just starting this year)

DS6
karate--$35 per month plus uniform, belt and testing fees

luckey-lasvegas
08-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Ok here we go, lets hope DH doesn't read this he may have a coronary lol.
Las Vegas , NV. DD8 Figure skater -

$60.00 a week ( 2 - 30 min. private lessons per week.)
$20.00 a week ice charge
$135.00 per month group lessons.
Competitions with entry, hotel, food, photos, coaches fee average $500.00
usually 2 - 4 a year.
USFSA membership $50.00 a year
ISI menbership $10.00 a year
Props and costumes $100 - $200 a year , this would be much higher but she is blessed with an aunt who sews.

So in other words we could by a new car for what we pay out for sports.
But I think it's worth it and she loves it. :cheer2:

lbgraves
08-18-2005, 02:09 PM
WOW! Am I the only one who doesn't have their kids in any activities? We have taken the summer off complete since last school year was alot of volunteering & commitments for me and this coming year will be even worse for the first couple months. During school we simply don't have the time. DD will be 5 & starting Kindergarten and DS will be turning 7 in Nov & in 1st grade. I wont schedule anything after school because I expect DD to be worn out with the full day of class. Usually 3-4 is a testy time for the kids. DD takes naps on the weekend & sometimes DS does as well.

DS did fall soccer 2 years ago & wants to do it again this year. With DH gone so much this year I would have to take both kids to whatever practice & then for the game on Saturday. I also have to be prepared to spend extra time working on the fall carnival at school, which I am running. After October when that is all over with I might consider letting DS join the swim team. I have been considering letting DD start gymnastics at the Y but seeing all of the expenses involved if she were to really enjoy it & move on....WOW! I might have to reconsider that.

StephMK
08-18-2005, 02:42 PM
We've also spent a quiet summer doing no activities & I'm loving it! I get really tired by the end of school from going place to place. My oldest 11DD has decided she really prefers less after school activities. Our fees are comparable to OP's. This year we'll have:

DD11 - Scouts - $20 reg for us both, $25 to SHARE, fees for trips
Softball - $75 + shoes
Bball in winter - $75
Either softball or soccer in the spring - $75
Chorus - 1 a week at school - free
She used to take violin and dance but she decided it was too much & I got tired of pushing her when she didn't want to practice.

DD5 - will be starting K full day so probably won't put her in anything this fall. I expect several tantrums & tired evenings! DS3 will be w/me at preschool 3-4 mornings a week so that will be it for him as well. May put them all in swimming class this winter for exercise & skills.

ntburns22
08-18-2005, 02:51 PM
Wow~It looks like we are getting off easy so far.
DD5~T-ball $35 for season includes t-shirt,hat,& trophy
Competive cheerleading $200 for Sept-May, $40 in competion fees,
$50 for shoes,$35 for studio recital fee, we do not know yet what
the uniform will cost yet.

ladyelle
08-18-2005, 02:54 PM
I have 5 kids so I try to limit the activites to one or two at a time per child. What's nice is that my four boys are all in the same thing at the same time. For now anyway. :rolleyes:

4 Boys ( Ages 6,6,8,8)
Soccer - $45 x 4 = $180 (fall)
Baseball - $45 x 4 = $180 (spring)
Basketball Camp - $25 x 4 = $100 (summer)
Swimming Lessons - $35 x 4 = $140 per session (summer)

1 Girl - Age 6
Soccer - $45 (fall)
Ballet - $40 month + $120 for two costumes (one hour per week)
Gymnastics - $50 month (one and half hours per week)
Swimming Lessons - $35 per session (summer)

momx2
08-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Wow! I thought we were a busy family, but I see there are some even busier! Let's see 2 DDs. One is 7 and into everything, the other is 4 and she is only doing one activity right now because she tires out so easily and that is plenty for a 4 yr. old IMHO.

DD 7: Fall and Spring soccer $50 per season = $100 (next yr. she starts competitive and then it will be $500+ a yr. plus tournament fees.)
Winter Basketball $50;
Winter swimming $150 to use pool for 6 months and $35 month lessons;
Spring softball $45
Fallball $30
She wants to swim and dive next year, but that means we have to join the club for $1,000 and pay $200 per month for the family, but it includes golf. My DH will be happy at least. :rolleyes: Haven't decided if we are gonna take the plunge on that one yet.

DD4: Fall and Spring Soccer $50 per season = $100 per yr.

Uhhgg, that is alot of money. But at least they're active and not playing video games all day.

MrsPete
08-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Wow, we're spending less than most!

DD-11: Girl Scouts about $125/year, which includes lots of activities, including several overnights; doesn't include uniforms because they're only purchased every three years
DD-11: Guitar lessons $15/week
DD-11: Swim lessons at Y during school year: $75 for four weeks/2 lessons per week -- we'll do two rounds of these lessons
DD-11: Girl Scout summer camp (1 week): 220
DD-11: Academic honors summer camp on a college campus: 340

DD-8: Girl Scouts about $100/year, being younger, she isn't eligible for as many trips as the older sis
DD-8: Skate lessons: $20/month
DD-8: Summer swim lessons: $75 for two weeks/10 lessons
DD-8: Swim lessons at Y during school year: $60 (second child discount) for four weeks/2 lessons per week -- we'll do two rounds of these lessons

We never did dance because I can't justify the cost (especially the recital costumes!). We did gymnastics (at $250/semester -- one class per week), but it was never a big favorite, and it fell by the wayside. They've never been into sports.

my3kids
08-18-2005, 03:52 PM
Any rec. league sports are $10 per child per sport. Ballet is our biggest. About $180 a month, but she takes a lot of classes. Private tennis lessons on and off which I think are $35 an hour.

How much are school lunches in your area. Those are the checks I seem to be writing ALL THE TIME. Maybe they are eating the checks and I just keep writing the same one over and over. Our lunches are $1.75 each.

my3kids
08-18-2005, 03:54 PM
ladyelle...triplets and twins? How cool! :grouphug:

DBarber600
08-18-2005, 04:04 PM
DD- Ice Skating $70 for 6 weeks (6 lessons plus 6 practice sessions) (she does 12-18 weeks per year)
DD Soccer - $70 season
DD Softball - $55 season
DD Girl Scouts - about $75 - $100 per year including field trips
DS - Soccer - $60 season (outdoor)
DS Soccer - $50 season (indoor)
DS Lacrosse - $85 season (the equipment is VERY expensive when they first start - around $300 for helmet, pads, stick... I got the stuff used and paid just under $200)
Spanish (after school enrichment program) $180 per year for both kids

WOW- that is a lot! I never itemized it out like that.

Thank Goodness DS quit Ice Hockey- that is the grandaddy of expensive kids activities.

Yes it is! I can't convince my son to quit. We skipped hockey this summer for T-ball in hopes that he'd become a baseball player. He just keeps asking "When am I going to play hockey again?".

My DD's most expensive class is KinderMusik - $180 every 15 weeks! But she loves it! You do get CDs, books, and instruments that fit the current curriculum however.

Danemom
08-18-2005, 04:15 PM
How much are school lunches in your area. Those are the checks I seem to be writing ALL THE TIME. Maybe they are eating the checks and I just keep writing the same one over and over. Our lunches are $1.75 each.

I had the same problem so we quit buying school lunches. I have since found out that the kids were allowed to buy water bottles for gym class on their lunch card and they could buy extras of everything - even two entrees! I was really upset to learn that the cafeteria manager made more money if the kids did buy two entrees! We (the PTA) are in the process of changing that! Unbelievable, isn't it?

With activities, we also limit our kids to one non-school activity at a time. I feel very strongly that kids need time to just be kids. Too much structured activity is not a good thing for kids.

ElizaB39
08-18-2005, 04:16 PM
DD11
Tap class = 340 for 9 months plus 60 for costume
This year add a trio tap class at another 340 and 6 for the costume (trio tap is pending due to scheduling issues)
40 new tap shoes each year
Fall Volleyball through CYO 40
Wants to add piano lessons but will probably wait until evening religion classes end (after this year)
900 total for DD11 for the year

DS8
One sport per season
flag football 35 thru the Y of which we are members
basketball 60
baseball 60
He uses regular sport shoes for these activities, right now he is also using DD11's old soccer cleats for football and baseball :teeth:

Oh yeah I forgot about the CUP! ha ha

School lunches for elementarty are going up to 2.00 per this year, Intermediate was 2.50 last year, hope they don't go up again.

Western Philly Burbs

No summer activities allowed, unless they are swimming lessons at a convenient time for me!

Oh yeah, I didn't include their religion classes but together they would total 35 per year as I buy scrip through my church and get credit towards any tuition requirements. Without tuition credit religion costs would be 160 per year for both kids. This is DDs last year.

fanofmickey
08-18-2005, 04:19 PM
DS16 - $460.00 for Marching Band Fees
$690.00 for trip to march at Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington
in March '06 (optional)
Already own his trumpet, pay for occasional repairs / maintenance

DS9 twins - $100 (x2) - Baseball (+new cleats each year)
$~$20 (x2) - Cub Scouts

slgober
08-18-2005, 04:30 PM
Just wanted to reply about school lunches...

Here in middle Georgia at the elementary school lunches are $1.00 and breakfast is $.50.

Middle school is $1.25 for lunch and $.050 for breakfast.

My kids usually eat breakfast and lunch at school. I figure for $.50 each it would cost me that much to supply cereal and milk, so they might as well get a nice hot breakfast with variety at school. Their favorite is breakfast pizza. In fact our school district went to two days a week with breakfast pizza this year because it is so popular!! The kids love it!!

This is still around $130 a month for my kids... and I know a lot of the time they don't even eat what they have for lunch because they don't like it. I need to get a copy of the school lunch menu and just let them take a lunch on the day they don't like what they are having...

Stephanie :wave2:

nboicepardee
08-18-2005, 04:33 PM
For my 2 year old daughter, I pay about $30 per month for swim class, as well as a $40/year fee for her to belong to the YMCA. We take this class approximately 9 months per year. We live in NJ.

I take her to a playgroup one morning a week, which is free. We alternate houses and provide snacks when it is our turn.

GEM
08-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Well, my little guy is only 2, so we don't have too many, yet!

We do Kindermusik, though, and we both LOVE it! It's once a week for 15 weeks, 45 minutes on Saturday mornings. We pay $175 for the semester and he gets a neat "At Home" kit with CDs, books, instruments, etc. It's so much fun - and it's something we get to enjoy together. If we do it again the second semester (spring) we get a slight discount. I think it's very reasonable.

lovelyk68
08-18-2005, 04:49 PM
My two sons play competitive soccer and the fees kill us :confused3 :

DS8, approx. $220.00 per month including uniform and shoes (this is for 11 months per year)

DS17, approx. $250 per month including uniform and shoes (this is for 8 months per year)

Neither of these figures includes travel. In the past year we went to Orlando twice, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and all over Michigan. :earseek:, so add another $3,500 per year. TG DS17 is graduating this year. ;)

My DD5 is just starting rec soccer and her fees were $80 Fall season only.

Each of my two younger ones did 3 weeks of summer camp. For DD5 it was only about $210. DS8 was $370.

No wonder we never have any extra $$$$$$$.

elliemae1192
08-18-2005, 05:11 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dance -- both -- $50 / month for first (45 min - 1 hr a week) class, $45 for 2nd, $40 for 3rd and subsequent. Cost is per kid, not per family (5% discount on 2nd kid) (Our total monthly is $180.50) Recital costumes and fees last year came out to just over $500

Wow! That's expensive! My DD takes dance at a great studio and we pay $64 a month for 4 classes a week. She takes ballet, tap, jazz, and lyrical ballet.

Funny how different parts of the country can be so far apart on prices. The costume and recital fees seem the same though. We usually pay $75-$100 for each costume.

DD also plays basketball and soccer. $45 sign up fee for each of those.

DS is a sophomore in high school and plays football. That usually sets us back a few hundred a year.

my3kids
08-18-2005, 05:22 PM
Just wanted to reply about school lunches...

Here in middle Georgia at the elementary school lunches are $1.00 and breakfast is $.50.

Middle school is $1.25 for lunch and $.050 for breakfast.

:wave2:

You've got great prices for school food!

hockey mom
08-18-2005, 06:11 PM
DD#1- Hockey-Rep- $1500 for the season
High school hockey- $300
Power skating- $125
Camps- $300
Away tournaments- $2000

The look on her face when she puts the puck in the net-PRICELESS :flower:

DD#2- Dance $500-$600 for the season

DS- Skateboarding lessons( :confused3 his pick)- $150- He's cheap.

calie_j
08-18-2005, 07:05 PM
DS13 is cheap
-school band $500 trumpet (after paying $18/month for 2 1/2 yrs renting we finally bought) my parents chipped in $75 and this is the ONLY present he's getting from us for his b-day
-martial arts $40/8week session (2 x per week 1 1/2 hours each lesson) lessons at school and can take late bus home during the school year
-1 week at summer camp $250

DD7
-Dance-
Ballet $31/month (45min lesson once a week)
Jazz $15.50/month (1/2 price for second lesson last yr she took tap, classes run back to back same night)
$39 each for spring recital costume (I use these for halloween costumes too :teeth: )
$20 for recital DVD
$10 each for tickets to recital (volunteers get 2 free otherwise you pay)
$60 for pictures

-Gymnastics-
$70/month (1 1/2 hour lesson 2 x per week, this will go up to $95 and 2 1/2 hours at level 4)
$50/year USAG fee
$205 summer gymnastics camp (9-4 included lunch for 5 days)
$75 tumble fun camp (this was more like daycare then I thought it would be but DD liked being the "celebrity" as oldest and only preteamer in camp with the little ones)

-Swim Lessons $15 (2 weeks 10 lessons 50 minutes each with free transportation provided by school bus)

This doesn't include tights, skirts, new dance shoes each year (buy at payless or walmart), leos, and the biggest expense of gas driving 250 miles each week for 3 nights/week of lessons.

With all the gymnastics parents on this thread where are you buying your leos for lessons? I get all mine at look-it.com, good quality leos shipped quickly for around $25 or less. Never had a problem with the company and they've even sent out free scrunchies and once a free leo. I also just found out my gymn will give me credit for used leos ($8 for an old nylon one) that I can use towards another leo, not bad to trade in 2-3 old leos for a new one.

Calie

geetey
08-18-2005, 07:41 PM
We also limit our after school activities. During the summer months, it is nothing except the occasional Scout activity that pops up (baseball game, bicycle rodeo) and their camp.

DD - 12
Volleyball = $70
Basketball = $70

DS - 10
Cub Scouts = $100 initial cost but you get back $$ from any fundraising you participate in. I expect to get about $35 back, so this year's net cost will be approx $65
Basketball = $30 (discounted because more than 1 family member plays)
Mad Science = $35 for 6 week session at school
That's enough for us. :)

ladyelle
08-18-2005, 09:28 PM
ladyelle...triplets and twins? How cool! :grouphug:

Yes, you are right - twin boys first then tried for a girl and got two more boys for free! :)

jpeltier
08-18-2005, 09:32 PM
DD(11) is on a competition cheer squad. It costs $3,020.00 for the year or about $251.00 per month. This is for private tumbling lessons,regular tumbling class, practice and competition uniforms, and competition fees. Yikes! Until I added it up, I had no idea of the cost. Its a good thing my two sons are 21 and 29. I can't imagine what it would cost to keep three kids in sports!

amyup
08-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Now I know our town charges too much! Luckily we only have 1 in soccer but we will be starting little league soon and our 3 year old wants to participate in Pewee soccer so here's my list:

Soccer $75 registration Plus $35 for uniform
Little League $175 registration Plus $40-50 uniform
Pewee Soccer $49 6 1/2 hour clinics(includes t shirt)

I don't even want to know how much I'll be spending when they are a little older :earseek:

shelly3girls
08-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Ok here we go, lets hope DH doesn't read this he may have a coronary lol.
Las Vegas , NV. DD8 Figure skater -

$60.00 a week ( 2 - 30 min. private lessons per week.)
$20.00 a week ice charge
$135.00 per month group lessons.
Competitions with entry, hotel, food, photos, coaches fee average $500.00
usually 2 - 4 a year.
USFSA membership $50.00 a year
ISI menbership $10.00 a year
Props and costumes $100 - $200 a year , this would be much higher but she is blessed with an aunt who sews.

So in other words we could by a new car for what we pay out for sports.
But I think it's worth it and she loves it. :cheer2:
:rotfl2: :rotfl:
I don't think I even want to add it up! Skating is so expensive and DDs have only been skating for 5 months so I know it will get even worse. DD6 just won her first competition so it looks like we are in this for the long haul! Mind if I brag that she won compulsories and freestyle. :cheer2:

2 DDs:
skating lessons $60/hour (sometimes 2x/week) + $40/week ice time
skating dresses (that they outgrow quickly $85+/dress)
skates (new every 6 months) $100/pair now but will go up a lot when they get better
USFSA fees $85/year

swim lessons $730/5 months
dance $50/month (DD4), costume $85, $15 registration
gymnastics $160/month (3 classes total) + $40 registration
piano $20/week (DD6)
soccer $15/season for micro-mini

and now I hear DD6 should be taking ballet for her skating....do all skaters take ballet? She also wants to try out for the gymnastics Jr. 4's I told her no way, she can't do it and skate too (not even a $ issue, but time).

my3kids
08-19-2005, 06:33 AM
Yes, you are right - twin boys first then tried for a girl and got two more boys for free! :)

Congratulations. What a wonderful family. Your home must always be full of fun. :flower:

fiveforall
08-19-2005, 09:28 AM
DD(10)---taekwondo--80 month plus 120 each testing. She's a black belt
piano--80 month

DD(7)---soccer fall and spring---138 total
piano---80 month

DS(5)---baseball---120
fall soccer---68

I didn't realize we paid so much!

we3disneygo
08-19-2005, 10:15 AM
ok here we go---dd11 we live in IL

2 weeks college for kids 250.00
1 week skate camp 120.00
ballet for skater's 110.00- 12 weeks
private skate lessons 2 1/2 sessions each week 36.00
skate classes 4 sessions 360.00
Christmas ice show 60.00
May ice show 40.00
costumes for may show 120.00
monthly ice pass 45.00 (price increase to 55.50)
ISI membership 10.00
new skates 300.00
pictures 30.00
tickets to ice shows 25.00
skating dresses/costumes for competition 250.00/300.00
competition fees,hotel,food,coaches fees,gas, 700.00
WOW this does not count any other school activity or church related activity's. this year she is going to private school.
to make it worse I started taking skating lesson's ....and we compete together in a family spotlight...which i did not include those entry fees. :earseek: we got a first place!!!! :banana: :cheer2: :cheer2: skating is expensive but lots of fun....