PDA

View Full Version : Aieeee :( Cancellation fees ?


Ardenne
08-18-2005, 09:06 AM
Trip was paid for in full yesterday. Today DH got word that he may be laid off within the next 30-60 days.

My first reaction is to keep the trip anyway -- it'd do us all good, and we had already kept it to a very reasonable budget, and there won't be many expenses other than what we've already paid, except for gas. But on the other hand, staying home would save some money.

Anyone know what the cancellation fees are like for a trip already paid in full?

lovemygoofy
08-18-2005, 09:31 AM
Are you 45 days out? I believe that if you are farther than 45 days out you can get a full refund but if it is less than 45 days I understand that there is a $200 charge if you have purchased a package. One way to to keep from loosing that money is to reschedule your trip. If you all are flexibile and you wanted to wait out the layoff time period, you could try to reschedule for further out. I'm sorry about your trip and hope everything works out for your family.

frannn
08-18-2005, 09:34 AM
your DH does not get laid off, and that you have a financially healthy rest of your year. I am really attached to my Disney trips-they are my sanity breaks- so I would do almost anything to make it work. But, I would make sure my mortgsge was paid first.

swilshire
08-18-2005, 09:38 AM
For a package, I was told $50 + $10 if under 45 days. No charge at 45 days or more. This was at a value resort. Don't know if the fees vary from hotel to hotel.

Sheila

mousefan
08-18-2005, 09:46 AM
if you booked a package :


Cancellation Policy: Packages Cancellation & Change Fees:

~ For a cancellation made 44 to 6 days prior to arrival, there is a cancellation fee of $100 per package plus any cancellation fees assessed by hotels or other suppliers.

~ For a cancellation made 5 days or less prior to arrival, there is a cancellation fee of $200 per package plus any cancellation fees by hotels or other suppliers. No refunds will be given to no-shows. For a change made 44 days or less prior to arrival or that results in a rate change, there is a change fee of $50 per package plus any change fees assessed by hotels or other suppliers. For changes, the change fees must be paid in addition to any increase in rate resulting from the change.


if you booked room only :


Cancellation Policy: Room Only Cancellation Policy:

In order to receive a full refund of your deposit, notification of cancellation must be received at least 5 days prior to your arrival date. To cancel or modify an existing reservation, call your Travel Agent. The cancellation and refund policy is subject to change

Ardenne
08-18-2005, 09:46 AM
Yes, we're 44 days out now, and we had a MYW package. Thanks for the info about rescheduling -- I didn't know that was an option. I'll probably do that instead of just cancelling if we do decide not to go in Oct. as planned.

We have a fairly low mortgage payment, and I always keep 6 months of living expenses in emergency savings just in case, so we're prepared to weather the storm if it comes to that... though I'm still hoping it won't. He really loves this job, and we only moved here a year ago and really don't want to move again already. Thank you all so much for your good wishes!

Edited to add: just saw Mousefan's post, thanks for providing the official scoop. That just confirms that if we decide not to go in Oct, we're better off just delaying rather than cancelling the trip. Thanks so much!

ckret01
08-18-2005, 09:49 AM
I know how you are feeling. I was laid off 2 years ago too. I was told about a month before my trip. I was contemplating on what to do and you know what....I went only b/c the trip was basically paid for. I limited myself on food and suvuniers(sp).

Even though while I was down there I often kept thinking about the fact that I didn't have a job and would get depressed....it also helped get my mind off of things.

Sorry if you have to cancel your trip but I completely understand

JoiseyMom
08-18-2005, 09:51 AM
Do you have trip insurance?? Ours covers that scenario. If he hasn't been laid off yet, depending on when you first booked your trip you still may be able to purchase insurance. It can't hurt to look into it. Good Luck. My DH was laid off in March, his 3rd one in 4 years. If you don't have a home equity line of credit, get one now while he is still employed!! It will be a life saver.

Ardenne
08-18-2005, 09:51 AM
Thank you for the kind thoughts, again.

I'm just so relieved we were planning it to be a surprise for the kids. If we do have to delay it, they won't be disappointed, since they didn't know yet.

Edited to add: I just saw JoiseyMom's post -- thanks! It's too late to add trip insurance (ours says it has to be added before the final payment is made), but it would have cost as much as the cancellation fee anyway, so it wouldn't have helped in our case. We're definitely ahead to just delay the trip if need be, and it looks like we don't have to make that decision immediately, since the next deadline isn't until 5 days out. And we do have a home equity line of credit, though I'm hoping we won't need it. I'm reserving that for emergencies beyond what the savings in our emergency fund will cover.

I really appreciate all the suggestions and support, everyone!