PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a land/sea budget decision?

RichNKatHolly
08-16-2005, 04:31 PM
Hi All! This post also appeared on the DCL forum, so please excuse the duplication.

Just a little history, I have a land/sea package all booked through DCL (paid off as well but I am still within my full refund time period). We will be a party of 5 (DH, me, Dsis, DD2 and DS5). Here is what I found when looking into other lines and still keeping a WDW trip with it.

For LESS than we are paying now with DCL we can do 2 connected superior ocean view staterooms (no balcony, just a large window) for 4 nights (Bahamas and CocoCay) with Royal Caribbean. We can still stay at AKL with the savannah view, and purchase 10 day non-expiring magic your way deluxe passes (we would only use 5 days this time and have another 5 already paid for the next trip). This equals $4,400 plus we have another trip tickets paid for. With DCL I'm paying $5,000. To make the change, my dates still work out but we will split our WDW time both pre and post cruise instead of all pre cruise. Hmmmmm..... :confused3

Not sure what to do here. Kids are looking forward to DCL again (well, DS is but I'm not sure he would recognize the difference) and there are plusses to sticking with that. On DCL we would have a larger stateroom with the nice balcony (I'm very excited about this feature). BUT, this is quite a savings.

Any opinions?? Is it always about saving money, or should we factor in convenience and the young children? Thanks in advance.

EthansMom
08-16-2005, 05:25 PM
No advice, but I have gone on RCCL three times and loved it!

The kids program looked great (my trips were pre-kids). I think your kids have to be 3 AND potty trained for the RCCL kids program to take them, so I don't think your daughter could do the kids program -- I don't know the requirements on DCL.

Gillian
08-16-2005, 05:38 PM
We like royal caribbean also. DCL is great, but it's fun to try other lines/ships, and much more affordable!

If you plan to use any babysitting, do check into the requirements. We are trying out Carnival this fall because their kids club allows non-potty trained 2 year olds. DD might be trained by then, but at least I don't have to worrry much about it.

Carnival is the only line that has a kids club for 2 year olds. Our DD is very social and I think she will enjoy it.

DS was just 2 when we did the 4 day Wonder. He liked the nursery, but by the 3rd time was getting bored. He did 2 nights and one afternoon, none of them for more than a couple of hours.

RichNKatHolly
08-16-2005, 07:17 PM
Thanks for all the advice! We are still deciding, but I should have added that we did sail RC before we had the kids. Thought it was really great. We also did Carnival the year after that and thought RC blew them away. Food was awesome. My sister (7 at the time) went to the kids program on RC and never wanted to leave.

Anyway, I will really see what is best financially and for ease of transfer. I appreciate the replies as they will help us decide as well. :love:

RichNKatHolly
08-16-2005, 08:09 PM
OK - here is the official tally and update.

We would be sailing on an older RCC ship, the Sovereign, but will not spend much time onboard except the last day (so, don't know how the pool is, there is probably no slide, etc.- kids may be bored).

Grand total DCL - $4997
RCCL - $4,384 -this also includes non expiring 10 day premium tickets (will have 4-6 days left for a future trip)

Savings: $613

Still, I am so unsure! I will NOT sleep tonight, I'm sure. Help!!!

welovedis
08-17-2005, 10:32 AM
I think there are a couple of factors that would influence my decision:

No balcony-would you use the balcony often on the DCL cruise? Or would it be a nice thing, but not a necessity? :confused3

10-day Non Expiring passes-would be great to have for a future trip, no doubt about it! :)

Splitting your time at WDW before/after cruise, so if I understand correctly, you'll be getting to WDW (& unpacking), then replacing for cruise, unpacking on RRCL, repacking and unpacking for the rest of your WDW trip? For me, that would be a negative as I hate packing up. If you don't mind it, it may not be too detrimental.

What ship has children's programs that are better suited to the children's ages/likes & dislikes and abilites (potty trained or not, etc..)

Are the cruises the same length? I've got to admit I'm not as familiar with DCL, but we've cruised with RCCL before & enjoyed it immensely! :)

welovedis
08-17-2005, 10:36 AM
I also think that Sovereign of the Seas was recently refurbed....IIRC! :)

Here's a page dedicated to SOTS , perhaps there are recent reviews!
http://cruiseclues.com/shipstips/sovereignoftheseas.htm

RichNKatHolly
08-17-2005, 10:39 AM
I think there are a couple of factors that would influence my decision:

No balcony-would you use the balcony often on the DCL cruise? Or would it be a nice thing, but not a necessity? :confused3

10-day Non Expiring passes-would be great to have for a future trip, no doubt about it! :)

Splitting your time at WDW before/after cruise, so if I understand correctly, you'll be getting to WDW (& unpacking), then replacing for cruise, unpacking on RRCL, repacking and unpacking for the rest of your WDW trip? For me, that would be a negative as I hate packing up. If you don't mind it, it may not be too detrimental.

What ship has children's programs that are better suited to the children's ages/likes & dislikes and abilites (potty trained or not, etc..)

Are the cruises the same length? I've got to admit I'm not as familiar with DCL, but we've cruised with RCCL before & enjoyed it immensely! :)

Lets see. Yes, I would like a balcony as we never had one before on a cruise, but it is not a necessity. The DCL cruise is 3 nights and the RCCL is 4 so there would be a full day at sea where a balcony would be nice, but this ship does not offer balconies at all I hear - maybe with the big suites.

Our original plans involve a lot of moving around. We have 2 nights at Hawthorne suites (because they were free) then we were going to AKL, then the cruise, then one night at Nick Hotel. The change would mean - Hawthorne, 2 nights, Nick Hotel (1 night - DS MUST go here so I won't miss it), Cruise, then to AKL until we go home. Same amount of packing I think. We will also have a rental car so we can leave some of the clothing in the car when we go on the cruise.

DCL probaby has better kid's programs, but DS only used it for about 1-2 hours last trip. He likes to be wth us, and that is why we are going on vacation. Seems we are never all together at home EVER!

Ugghh. I just can't decide. Yesterday I said let's just leave it as is and today I want to go forward with the change. Just worried about the extra sea day. What will we do with ourselves?

mum of two pirates
08-17-2005, 01:39 PM
Have you priced out the dcl sep. It sounds like you have a package deal, You might what want to see how much it is sep. I have heard you can get a way better price if you book the rooms by themselves and then the cruise. Look at it this way if you went chee on the other cruise line, then you would have over $600 to put on you next dcl becouse you will miss it. Then your kids would be old enough for the clubs.

NCRedding
08-17-2005, 03:05 PM
I personally would spend the extra money and go with DCL. The Sovereign is an older ship, with mush smaller rooms than DCL.

I didn't care for our RCCL cruise on the Radiance, so I am a bit biased, but for $600 difference, I would go with the sure thing.

RichNKatHolly
08-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Have you priced out the dcl sep. It sounds like you have a package deal, You might what want to see how much it is sep. I have heard you can get a way better price if you book the rooms by themselves and then the cruise. Look at it this way if you went chee on the other cruise line, then you would have over $600 to put on you next dcl becouse you will miss it. Then your kids would be old enough for the clubs.

Actually, it's funny, I priced Disney every which way and the land/sea package was very much lower. My TA says it is because they deeply discount the room on the land portion. BUT I never looked into other lines and making our own land/sea type of trip. For now, I think we are keeping things as is. The $600 would be great, as would the 6 day tickets left over (which really puts the savings over $1000), but I just enjoyed the size of the rooms on DCL and am looking forward to my balcony. It is probably the only time I will ever have a stateroom like this, so this is our splurge.

Tune in tomorrow, when I change my mind yet AGAIN! :)

RichNKatHolly
08-17-2005, 03:29 PM
I should add that we weren't looking to lower our price, as much as we were not really that excited about DCL - it was fine, but we LOVE Rccl. I just woke up one morning wondering why I didn't research the option of making our own package.

The one we have now is paid in full, but getting a cheaper deal is all icing.

cruzmouse
08-17-2005, 10:42 PM
We have cruised both DCL and RCCL, and loved them both.. BUT....if you have the opportunity for a balcony...go for it...Our DS was 3 at the time and i would put him down for a nap in the afternoon and then sit on the balcony and gaze out in the ocean...Also we followed our DCL cruise with a carnival cruise(Conquest) 1 yr later and DS said he wanted to "be on the other boat where Mickey lives", its amazing how much they remember...DS did enjoy the Carnival cruise however, but still states that DCL was his favorite..Good Luck :earsgirl:

RichNKatHolly
08-18-2005, 07:38 AM
Thanks again everyone! We decided to leave our plans as is. If the RCCL was a 3 night cruise we would have done it. But the sea day without my balcony just didn't sound appealing.

If I had planned to do this earlier and my airfare wasn't already purchased I may have changed things around. It is an eyeopener though to see the price difference. Boy, DCL is expensive, but we will consider this our big splurge trip and worry about budget the next few years.

Happy planning all!!!