PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Budget for Fuel Costs for Trip to WDW...

toystoryduo
08-16-2005, 08:19 AM
Hi Budget Board-ers! :wave:

I have been planning and re-planning my trip to pass the time and I am trying to decide how much money we need for gas as we are driving from Cleveland to Orlando.

I plugged my info into fuelcostcalculator.com and it said that I would need around $175 round trip based on current gas prices. Has anyone used this website before? If so, how accurate do you find it to be?

Thanks! :goodvibes

tikilyn
08-16-2005, 08:40 AM
Is this caluculator the same one on the AAA website?http://www.fuelcostcalculator.com/TripGasPrice.aspx

It was pretty accurate last December for us. This time around it's going to cost us 233.00 round trip!!

sabrina

hemispheredancer
08-16-2005, 08:44 AM
How many miles is it? We just got back from Virginia (Wburg and VBeach) and we were around $250 in gas. It was 800 miles EACH way. We have a truck. With the price of gas going up daily I would figure on at least $175 EACH way.

umaangel00
08-16-2005, 08:55 AM
175 each way! I am not sure if that is really accurate. Even with how high the prices are, it still wont' cost us more than 300 round trip. But we have a Pontiac Bonneville and it gets 30/miles/gallon.

montblanc
08-16-2005, 09:12 AM
Gas prices are insane, over $3.00 a gallon where I live now. My trip of 866 miles now costs me around $130.00.

D1sneyDad
08-16-2005, 09:23 AM
Going from Cleveland to Orlando one-way ist 1045 miles. If you figure an average of 20 MPG city and 22 MPG highway the following are the costs:
$2.75 /gal = $130
$2.85 /gal = $134
$3.00 /gal = $141

I would plan on another tank of gas for driving around the area for 1 week.

Now if gas keeps going up at the rate that it has then the following is possible.

$3.25 /gal = $153
$3.50 /gal = $165

For a family of 4 still cheaper than flying.

Tjaleks
08-16-2005, 09:35 AM
I have been thinking about buying gas cards to help off set the cost of actually putting out the cash or charging it while we are on vacation.

1) Has anyone done this?

2) Does anyone know of any websites that give you locations along the highways of the gas stations? (I don't want to buy a gas card and not be able to use it)

TIA

toystoryduo
08-16-2005, 09:49 AM
Going from Cleveland to Orlando one-way ist 1045 miles. If you figure an average of 20 MPG city and 22 MPG highway the following are the costs:
$2.75 /gal = $130
$2.85 /gal = $134
$3.00 /gal = $141

I would plan on another tank of gas for driving around the area for 1 week.

Now if gas keeps going up at the rate that it has then the following is possible.

$3.25 /gal = $153
$3.50 /gal = $165

For a family of 4 still cheaper than flying.

Thank you so much for crunching the numbers for me! :goodvibes We plan on driving a Pontiac Grand Am. Does anyone know where I can find the city/highway miles per gallon for a 2004 or 2005 Grand Am?

Thanks everyone for your input! :goodvibes

toystoryduo
08-16-2005, 09:53 AM
I have been thinking about buying gas cards to help off set the cost of actually putting out the cash or charging it while we are on vacation.

1) Has anyone done this?

2) Does anyone know of any websites that give you locations along the highways of the gas stations? (I don't want to buy a gas card and not be able to use it)

TIA

Hi Staci! :wave:

I'm not sure if there is a website or anything that lists the gas stations on the way down to Florida. I'm sure if you bought fuel cards to the major chains like BP and Exxon, you will be okay. :goodvibes

On our last trip to WDW, we used some fuel cards that we earned free from My Points. It worked out great for us! This time around, we may get one of those Master Card or American Express gift cards and use that for fueling up the car. :moped:

Hope that helps! :goodvibes

Tjaleks
08-16-2005, 09:56 AM
On our last trip to WDW, we used some fuel cards that we earned free from My Points. It worked out great for us! This time around, we may get one of those Master Card or American Express gift cards and use that for fueling up the car.

GREAT idea. :teeth:

Thanks

Disneyrsh
08-16-2005, 10:00 AM
We drive from Atlanta to Orlando all the time, and we start with a full tank of gas, stop once on the GA/FL border to refill, then usually refill once when we're in Orlando.

Then it's a refill on the way home at the border again. We usually get about 30 mpg in our 2003 Mazda MPV (minivan).

On 75 south between atlanta and florida there are a ton of texaco and bp stations, so if you get one of their gas cards you should be fine.

We get better gas mileage on the way down because it's a gentle slope to the ocean from atlanta, than on the way back! Not significantly, though.

Gas in Georgia's very cheap compared to the states around us, try and fill up here before you get to florida.

dvcgirl
08-16-2005, 10:02 AM
Thank you so much for crunching the numbers for me! :goodvibes We plan on driving a Pontiac Grand Am. Does anyone know where I can find the city/highway miles per gallon for a 2004 or 2005 Grand Am?

Thanks everyone for your input! :goodvibes

2004 Grand Am gets 29mpg highway and 20mpg city....according to www.fueleconomy.gov the average is about 23mpg.

So, since you're doing mostly highway driving, I'd figure on somewhere around 25 mpg.

The AAA website says it's 1021 miles from Cleveland to Orlando and they're figuring you'll use 35 gallons of gas...so they're giving you the full 29 mpg, which you probably won't get. I'd figure on about 41 gallons of gas, and figure on about 2.55 for the average cost. About $104.50 each way...$209.00 round-trip....

umaangel00
08-16-2005, 11:20 AM
I think the 2004 Pontiac Grand Am would get better gas mileage than that. I have a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville and it gets between 30-35 miles per gallon highway and between 20-25 miles per gallon in the city.

It's A Happy Day
08-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Just to be on the safe side I have added a $50.00 padding to the estimate. This way I know we will be covered. I had originally budgeted $350 for round trip from MA and calculate figures just under $200.00 - still planning on $300.00 as I want to compensate for the in cases...ie: we get lost, we want to do a shopping trip, we choose to take our car to DTD or other area instead of waiting for the bus or WDW transporation. So I would add some type of a coushion to your estimate to cover any what ifs...

umaangel00
08-16-2005, 11:30 AM
Wow you all are budgetting a lot for gas. I am from Grand Rapids, MI and I am budgetting 300. According to the calculator I will only need 220.

familyoffive
08-16-2005, 12:23 PM
I would agree with others and pad the number by $100.00. Better to budget too much, than too little.

hemispheredancer
08-16-2005, 01:55 PM
You have to remember that you won't be driving on completely flat roads. There are going to be some hills that will suck more gas. I think my truck got about 18 mpg. I would definately make sure to plan on spending more rather than less. Gas may be more expensive down there, too.

Janice B
08-16-2005, 05:14 PM
We just returned for WDW on August 6th. We drove down the I75 from Waterloo, Ontario(Canada). The total cost of our trip was $236. I did use the gas caluclator before I left and it was only off by about $3 each way.

toystoryduo
08-18-2005, 08:23 AM
Thank you everyone for your input! :goodvibes

Our original plan was to budget around $300 for fuel costs since we are driving from Cleveland to Orlando and back. I think we will plan on adding another $50-$100 to the budget just to be safe.

Now, we'll just hope that gas prices go down and soon! ::yes::

Thanks again! :goodvibes

umaangel00
08-18-2005, 08:59 AM
The gas prices are expected to keep rising until labor day and then start going down to their yearly low around christmas. I am only budgetting between 200-300 for gas and we are coming from Grand Rapids, MI. We will be going in March though. Even with the high gas prices (which should be lower come our trip) it still won't cost me more than 300 for gas.

Mom of Sleepy, Bashful and BabyDoc
08-18-2005, 09:23 AM
The gas prices are expected to keep rising until labor day and then start going down to their yearly low around christmas. I am only budgetting between 200-300 for gas and we are coming from Grand Rapids, MI. We will be going in March though. Even with the high gas prices (which should be lower come our trip) it still won't cost me more than 300 for gas.

We have a conversion van (which I wouldn't give up for the world on trips like this :teeth: ) that uses a lot of gas.

On the AAA site, if we were going this week, it would cost around $350 round trip. The five of us couldn't fly for that so it's still ok.

But the good news is that we aren't leaving until after Thanksgiving. I hope what they predict will come true and I can shave some off of that $350. We aren't coming home until Dec. 10th...............here's hoping they are at a low by then. :wizard: :wizard: :teeth:

umaangel00
08-18-2005, 09:26 AM
We have a conversion van (which I wouldn't give up for the world on trips like this :teeth: ) that uses a lot of gas.

On the AAA site, if we were going this week, it would cost around $350 round trip. The five of us couldn't fly for that so it's still ok.

But the good news is that we aren't leaving until after Thanksgiving. I hope what they predict will come true and I can shave some off of that $350. We aren't coming home until Dec. 10th...............here's hoping they are at a low by then. :wizard: :wizard: :teeth:

Yeah I guess you would spend more on gas than I would. LOL. I only have a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville. It gets 27-30 miles per gallon highway so I use a lot less gas than most. Its only DH and I that go so it's plenty of room for us both!

patsal
08-18-2005, 08:05 PM
We had $210 in gas cards for our July trip. They worked fine, except they were all $10.00 cards so we had to stop at $10.00 and insert new card until the tank was full. Really no big deal especially since all the cards were free from reward programs. We filled up prior to leaving and all the gas cards we had were for Exxon/Mobil. No problems with this along the way from Buffalo to Orlando. The only place we didn't use the cards was once we were on Disney property, the gas at the Hess stations on property is less expensive than the surrounding area so that tank of gas for the two weeks was purchased at WDW. I have a Grand Caravan and I think we only spent $270 in gas total (including the gift cards) round trip and the two weeks at WDW. Gas is more expensive now, but when we first decided that we were going to drive DH found that even at $5.00 per gallon we would still be cheaper than flying/rental car for 2 weeks (family of four)